FORE! (open)

After leaving the Grand Piazza, with his stomach full, Tristan continued his walk and eventually found himself outside an arcade. Still having a few extra bucks in his pocket, he walked in and looked around. One of his favorite games sat empty...waiting...beckoning to him, and his extra bucks.

The Golden Tee wasn't a replacement for playing a good game of golf, but almost as satisfying in a different way. Tris had been playing golf since high school, and had a set of great used Titlist clubs at home...or did. God knew where any of his shit was now. But without his clubs, and not really being one to play in the nastier elements, the video game seemed the perfect substitute.

Getting some tokens from a nearby machine, he laid them out on top of the glass, and dropped the first two in. Lights and noises activated, he lined up for his first drive, after checking wind conditions, and the full 3D layout of the first hole. It had been awhile, so his first hit left him shy of the green. Soon he was enthralled in making it to the next hole, and trying to at least stay par, if possible.

Pakpao 18 years ago
God help the world, Pak was practically giddy; not a word to use lightly when applied to her but it was known to happen. While battling with some serious computer geeks she’d gotten a few new parameters worked out and even better before there had been flirting and the promise of a date.

Did she just think that? Gah! She was losing her mind. Wait, that was pretty much a normal state of being and she dismissed it. In short the whole situation called for fooze ball, limited brain function but some physical activity; yes, fooze ball. Well that or air hockey, that would work too.

Her little T-Bird (1957, E-Series, Torch Red retractable hard top if you –really- wanted to know) practically stopped of it’s own accord outside the arcade. However, on entering she made two disconcerting discoveries; no fooze ball and no bar. Some rather unflattering profanity wandered through her mind. But she was determined to make the best of it. Although that required a plan of attack. She found a place to perch and deliberately lit up a clove, if the place was non-smoking they could bloody well tell her, but until then, it helped her think.
Patrick Tristan O Mannon 18 years ago
On the sixteenth hole, Tristan's concentration was mildly distracted by a smell of smoke, wafting past his nose. It wasn't really the smoke smell he enjoyed, but it wasn't terribly unpleasant.

When there was a natural break in the game, hand still braced on the sides of the game, Tris turned his head in both directions looking for the source of the smoke. It was only slightly annoying, so he didn't intend to say anything, but he was curious to see who it was that had the nerve to smoke in an enclosed public place. Back home, in California, smoking was banned in all such places, and had been for some time. Therefore it was now one of those things that stuck out when going against the norm.

The girl appeared Asian to him...though not Japanese. Maybe Vietnamese...or some other country. It didn't matter, she was attractive in an exotic way. Though sitting, he didn't think she was bigger than a minute, or just slightly. But as she seemed deep in thought, Tristan returned his attentions to the game, and his remaining two holes of play.
Pakpao 18 years ago
She caught the look. Lord people could be so damned sensitive about a little smoke. Usually Pak was pretty good about keeping her habit from offending people. She knew not every one appreciated it, but at least it was cloves and they did smell better than regular boring nicotine and so thought she could be cut a little slack.

Reaching for an abandon paper cup she was two seconds away from putting it out but decided against it. The guy didn't seem to be staff and she'd been thrown out of better places and for better reasons. So tonight she wasn't going to cave. She did, however, decide to be moderately polite about it.

A charming smile and mellow question were all it took to play nice.

"It's not bothering you is it?"Â?
"What? The smoke? Oh hell no. I'm a fan of a more sweeter, intoxicating smoke, but that's not bad. Just not something I see a lot of anymore, back home."

Finishing up his final hole, Tristan was pleased with his score, considering it was five below par. Not his best score, but one he could live with.

Scooping up the remaining tokens on the glass, he dropped them into his pocket, and turned to lean his butt up against the end of the machine, looking at the girl.

"Still takes me a little by surprise to see people smoking inside places these days."

A little shrug, and then he crossed his arms over his chest, and his feet at the ankle.

"You're not interested in playing...just came IN to smoke?"

The weather outside was cold, but not unbearable. It seemed odd to him that she would be just sitting there smoking.

"Or...were you waiting for someone?"
Pakpao 18 years ago
Sweeter and more intoxicating? Well he was the blunt one wasn't he. Another day, another mood and Pak might have been disapproving but tonight, she couldn't care less. To each his own and all that.

"You must be from California. I always got the dirtiest looks in San Jose when I lit up."Â?

She playfully rolled her eyes.

"Yuppies. Can't live with them can't live with out them I suppose, but some day someone is going to prove that being a vegetarian shortens your life span."Â?

Amused by her own ramblings Pak had to smile. It was occasionally fun to torment the health conscious, but it was easy to do with one didn't have to worry about lung cancer and other consequences.

In? Of course, she'd come in, it was wretched freezing outside, and she still had the jacket on to prove it. Pak very much disliked the cold. And yes she was waiting for someone... sort of but wasn't willing to go into detail, but did take off her jacket.

"Actually I came in looking for a fooze ball table, didn't see one off the bat and now I am waiting for inspiration to strike. I'm sure it will be along here in a second."Â?
"Yea...California...land of fruits and nuts, they say. I must be one of the nuts."

He laughed. Some guy from Texas who had driven Tristan part of the way during his hitch cross country, had told Tris that. Tris had laughed then too, but considered the Texan a redneck, and gave the comment no attention at all. Much like he was going to give the 'yuppie' comment the girl had just made. Growing up in California, Tris had grown up in a veritable smorgasbord of races, religions, and beliefs...most of which he was pretty proud about. The white supremist he thought could fall off the face of the earth, but they were pretty rare...or at least you didn't hear much about them there.

As long as everyone left him alone, to believe what he wanted...he was pretty okay with whatever.

"Oh? Is that who you're waiting for...inspiration? What do they look like...I'll help you keep an eye out."

He almost asked 'what does HE look like, but then remembered that would have been pretty sexist...and altered the question to be politically correct. He had no reason to get into some random argument with a girl he didn't know. But since she was waiting for someone he turned, and walked around checking out the other machines.

"Have you got any idea what this is...'DDR'?"

It looked like something you were supposed to dance to, from the instructions, but it also was something he had never seen before. He didn't want to try something that would make him look like a total putz in front of her.
Pakpao 18 years ago
"Well in the classical sense I would call inspiration the muses. But I don't suppose anyone would ever really know what they look like. But feel free to flag me if you see anyone in a chiton wandering around."Â?

Currently much more interested in mentally rattling off the names of the muses she was completely oblivious to having possibly offended him with her yuppie comment.

DDR? Oh boy new toy, big toy, toy that made her look like a complete idiot but it was fun. Finishing off the clove and, licking her lips slightly, stubbed it out in the paper cup. Joining him by the machine she tossed her things down and regarded the guy with mock seriousness.

"The sole purpose of this thing is to make people look like idiots, all people every where. That and suck up quarter, but a highly entertaining way to go. Basically you pick a song and follow the arrows."Â?

Sure, that was the basics, but then there was the reality. That and Pak's own personal belief that the computer cheated.

Cocking her head to one side she goaded him, just a little, softening it was a genuine smile. DDR was never as much fun by your self..

"You're not afraid to try are you?"
The minute she started talking about 'muses', Tristan zoned out. It was nothing meant to annoy, though it often did. He just had no interest in anything having to do with mythology, and anything he had no interest in, was pretty much impossible to talk to him about.

Not to mention he had no clue what a chiton was. Fortunately, the girl seemed to drop the subject entirely, once she caught sight of the game he had pointed out.

"Really? Sounds like someone had my clone in mind when the devised this thing...cause I do idiot better than most."

Reaching into his pocket, he pulled back out the handful of tokens, and laid them on top of the machine.

"I'm game, but only if you go first."

And stepping back, he gave her room to show him her stuff. From what he could see, you basically just jumped around. It didn't seem to difficult.

"I'm Tristan, by the way."

Not used to shaking hands with girls, his remained in his pocket, but he did grin at her when he gave her his name.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Tokens! Now they were getting serious. Grinning rather inanely it crossed Pak's mind that she should try to focus, try and settle in, but that idea held no real appeal and was quickly dismissed.

She popped the appropriate tokens in and began scrolling through the songs. She was dead set on finding Butterfly but that was what, the second level?

"Nope sorry we get to look like fools at the same time. We play together."Â?

Anxious to begin playing she finally gave up and just picked a song. They had a second before it would start and she did offer her hand at the introduction.

"Pakpao. Is this where I say thank you for the dance or is good luck more appropriate? This thing keeps score you know."Â?

She smiled again, but with a bit of challenge letting him know she was serious about the game. Not given much more time for chat, the music started. Tapping her feet along with the opening beat Pak quickly fell into step following the arrows as they appeared, cheerfully cringing every time she missed a step. She really wasn't very good at this at all.
"Together?"

Tristan moved back up, and stood beside her, watching her put the tokens in, and choose the song. He felt a little weird, shaking her hand, but did so anyway.

He then looked down, and watched her feet, but didn't move his at all, at first, and then seemed to get the hang of it.

"So...we just do this for as long as the song goes, and then it tells us who made the most correct steps?"

He was doing crap. Tristan didn't dance. Tristan, if pressed, could slowly move along the dance floor, and sway with the music...but he didn't dance. But then he looked at the floor below him, and thought of it as the old game 'Simon', and began moving along with the arrows as they appeared in front of him, much better.

"Hey! I do believe I just might have this."

And because he was running his mouth, instead of concentrating, his steps got all fouled up, and he had to stop, to get into the rhythm again.

Pakpao looked like she had done this a few times, much to her statement to the contrary. She certainly had a lot more grace at this than he did.

As the music got a little faster, Tristan dissolved into a fit of laughter, but kept trying to match the arrows with his feet on the pad. He guessed by now he was probably hitting one right, out of six.

"Scratch that...false sense of having a clue here."

So glad none of the guys back home could see this...especially Kelly, Tristan kept it up, and went from atrocious to metza-metza.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Nodding amicably Pak stepped in time with the relentlessly upbeat music. Exactly why they called it Dance Dance Revolution she wasn't sure, because she always felt like she was trying to squash a bug or something.

Glancing at Tristan he did seem to be doing all right with it. Letting her concentration laps slightly, which meant she had to stop completely wait for a second and pick up again.

"Not bad for a first timer. If we're good it will let us go to the second level."Â?

Two three four she was able to start again. Hearing him laugh she knew he was losing it and began laughing as well but kept her attention firmly on the screen. Well she tried to but the laughing was not helping. Thankfully the song was ending and soon enough she was able to stop.

Still giggling she stepped off the pad when it was all over and waited for their score.

"That was miserable. I'm surprised we didn't fall over! We should take a bet on whether or not it lets us advance."Â?

Her performance deserved to be bad mouthed, and if Pak couldn't make fun of her own pathetic gaming efforts, who could? At least she could do it with some humore.
"Wow, that's quite a work out you get with that thing."

He said, moving off the pad as Pakpao had. He was grinning though, because he really enjoyed the testing of his ability to follow along. Who knew...he might even someday be able to stand out on a dance floor, and move around without looking spastic...well...okay, maybe not...but it was a little added incentive.

"You, though...may just be hustling me a little. You didn't look all that bad at all."

Of course he was comparing her to himself...the only basis he had at the moment...and that really wasn't all that great a place to go from.

"I'm not sure I want to bet you anything just yet. This whole thing smacks a little of set up."

He didn't really feel that way, but it was a funny thought.

"So...what's the verdict?"

He waited to see how well the machine judged them. That was going to be the true test.
Pakpao 18 years ago
“Hustle you! Just what kind of a gal do you think I am?”

She feigned shock. Really, she hadn’t been out to hustle any one, but was willing to play along.

Glancing around quickly taking in some of the short video, their random nature was appealing right now. It wasn’t quite an ‘Oooo shiny’ effect but caused her mind skipped about a bit and kept her from saying something about set ups. Just as quickly, as she’d been sidetracked she was back.

Giggling slightly and waggling her eyebrows lightheartedly, she pointed to the display.

“We got the second level. Up for another go round or did it wear you out?”
Fallon 18 years ago
She had an hour break in between classes, supposedly for dinner...but then, that's really what she was after now, wasn't it?

The arcade was close to the recreation center, and she knew there was a snack bar there. She also thought it would be a good place to maybe find a bite of another kind. She had no intention of going after anyone under age, but last time she had been there she had noticed some older people hanging about as well.

Walking inside, she looked around, and was disappointed there weren't more people about. Of course the last time she had been there, it was during the afternoon hours, when the kids were just getting out of school. Turning to leave, she stopped. What to her wandering eyes did appear...Tristan! Her mood brightened and she smiled...until she noticed another girl he seemed to be hanging around with.

Doubting the girl was more than a recent acquaintance...he HAD only just arrived in Nachton himself, she decided to watch a while. If she didn't feed now, she thought she would be okay till later...after her meeting with Mai of Anantya.

Walking up to stand a few feet away from the game they were playing...she guessed it had to be some sort of game...she just stood, and smiled.
Giving her a slightly skeptical look, Tristan refrained from answering. It seemed to be one of those questions where no matter how he answered it would probably get him into trouble...so he just ignored it with a grin.

"Sure, another round sounds fine. I'm not out of breath yet."

Glad he no longer smoked cigarettes, or he might as well have been.

"So...the second level...I'm guessing the musics faster and the steps more intricate? You may now be taking your life in your hands, standing so close."

As he started moving again with the music and arrows, his eyes caught movement over to the side. Focusing in that direction he saw a familiar face.

"Hey, Fallon!"

Of course by diverting his attention towards the other girl, he missed a step, but he didn't stop, he got back into the rhythm, and continued on, giving her an apologetic shrug, and a index finger upwards, as if asking her to give him a minute.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Oooo he didn’t answer, sneaky, sneaky. But she took his silence to be a victory, however, small and laughed.

“Faster, more complicated and infinitely more dangerous. But I’m sure I’ll pull through.”

She found Butterfly, which was what she had wanted to play this whole time and selected it. At the same time, she smiled to herself about taking her life in her own hands. Not quite how she would have put it, after all there was always the possibility that Tristan could be lunch.

As he called out to greet someone, she lost her rhythm, not that it matter to her. She’d never managed to get very far in this game no mater how many times she played. Since it was near inevitable that she’d be eliminated from this round.

"Ummm... no pause button but no worries."

Half curious about the other woman she cast random glances at her, with the occasional grin, while continueing to playing, which now offically meant making up her own steps, looking like an un coordinated fool and trying to watch what was going on at the same time.
Seeing his action had thrown Pakpao a little, Tristan laughed.

"I could say sorry...but it would be a lie."

Tristan really started paying attention now, and moving his feet like they had never moved before...but the charge of getting control over the moves was short lived. Just as he looked up again, and turned towards Fallon, he stepped on his own foot, and went flying...completely off the platform, and onto the floor.

Fortunately, aside from a small ache in his ass, he wasn't hurt. Also, fortunately, Tristan never took things too seriously, and just laughed at the whole episode.

Watching Pakpao continue, he was amazed at her concentration.

Standing up, he walked over towards Fallon, still grinning.

"As you can see...I do much better at frisbee."
Fallon 18 years ago
Whatever they were doing, it intrigued Fallon a little. She liked to dance, but never got a chance, unless she was dancing by herself in her own home.

But she didn't come to dance, and her gaze never left Tristan's form. He was a very good looking young man, younger than she, she was certain, and because of that he seemed less threatening. Plus, she had spent a couple hours with him at the beach, and really didn't think he was more, or less than just a nice guy.

"Oh my god!"

She yelled, as she saw him fall. She moved towards him a step, and then stopped herself. Not knowing yet, who this other woman was, Fallon didn't want anyone getting bent out of shape over anything she might do, that might be misconstrued.

However, when she saw the other woman wasn't making any moves to help, she pretty much made up her mind. Tonight she would make her first move on the pretty boy.

"You look okay...but are you? You really fell pretty hard there, didn't you?"

she asked, as he came in her direction.
"No no no...I'm fine."

And he did a little spin, with his arms out, to show he could still move without any trouble at all.

He was surprised to see how cute Fallon was, and realized just how dark it had been at the beach the other night. That thought led him to wonder if he ran into Aishe, Peter, or Cyrus, would he even recognize them.

"Pakpao, over there, was showing me how to do this Dance Dance Revolution...which looks a lot easier than it really is. Though she makes it look easy. I'm just one of those guys with two left feet, I guess."

He moved to stand next to Fallon but so he could watch Pakpao, and see how well she did.

"You a video fan? Or just coming in out of the cold too."
Fallon 18 years ago
Afraid if she didn't move fast, the other woman would grab hold of Tristan and Fallon wouldn't get the chance she needed. She had thought of a few things she might say to him...she had planned on running into him again soon, but just not quite this soon. All the things she planned to say had now vanished from her mind. All the things but one...Panos had said that using their sexuality worked really well in getting people to go along with the feeding...and she had found that to be true already. The only difference now was that she knew Tristan...well, somewhat...and wasn't completely confident in herself around him.

She had to try something though.

"Listen Tristan...I hate to take you away from your date, but I need a favor, and since I know you...a little...well, do you think maybe... Could you come outside with me for a few minutes...I feel funny asking you in here."

Still glancing up at 'Pakpao', Fallon wanted to disengage Tristan while the other woman was still engaged.