After the raid.

Simon opened his eyes. He was lying in a hospital bed, dressed in a hospital gown. He reached up and touched his face. The skin felt healed. Looking down at the rest of him, Simon saw that he recovered from the sun exposure quickly. Pulling the covers off, he slipped out of the bed and walked to the bathroom mirror, turning on the light as he entered. The reflection in the mirror gave him a sigh of relief. His gown said Duibne Industries. He was in their medical facility.

The room was large and private with a full bath and 2 doors. A private entrance and the hospital entrance. The hospital door opened and someone called out.

'Mr. Huntington?'

'In here,' he replied.

'I need to check your vitals. Are you alright?'

He looked back at the mirror and smiled. Turning he exited the bathroom and saw the older nurse standing in her uniform and nurse's cap. He didn't think they wore those anymore. Climbing back into bed, he rubbed his eyes and laughed.

'What's so funny, Mr. Huntington?'

He looked down at the bed covers as the nurse wrapped the blood pressure cuff around his arm.
'I just had one of those days.'

'Really, love?'

Simon froze. The voice had changed and it was a painfully familiar one. The blood pressure cuff on his arm became increasingly tight. He swallowed hard and looked up into the face of the nurse.

With a blood shot green eye and disfigured, burned face, Ellis gave him a smile and said,
'I loved you too, Simon.'

Marthinus T. Steyn 18 years ago
Marthinus T. Steyn stood outside Simon's room talking to one of the doctors monitoring Simon. On the wall next to Simon's room door was a computer panel with his vitals flashing.

'His skin has had extensive damage, no telling how much blood it'll take to replenish it. We'll keep him on an IV and monitor his healing,' the doctor said to Marthinus.

Marthinus looked at Simon's vitals screen, watching his heart rate beat slow and normal. When they had brought him in, he smelled of ash and sulfur, his body pale from the damage of the sunlight and no doubt his organs boiling like Sunday's hamhocks. He had received blood from the reporter, Kyle Evans, which kept him from the brink of crumbling to ashes.

Although young Kyle Evans had his own problems down in detox as he experienced the euphoria of the Eternity he had taken and waited out his inevitable need for more of it. From his story about what happened to him inside, he was without a doubt addicted now. Marthinus would check on him afterwards.

Suddenly Simon's heart rate spiked high and an alarm set off at the nurses station. The doctor pushed open the door.

Simon was screaming.

His eyes had been badly burned and bandaged to protect him from any light source till they healed a little more and he was tearing at them and his IV's, trying to pull away. Marthinus ran to the bed and grabbed him.

'Simon, Simon! Calm down!'

The doctor ordered a sedative from one of the nurses running in. She turned on her heel and ran back out.

Marthinus tried to push Simon back down on the hospital bed but even in his weakened state he managed to push Marthinus away easily. He was yelling something incoherent. Screaming over and over again.

No.

Go away.

But you're dead.
Kyle Evans 18 years ago
Kyle Evans sat in his very luxurious hospital room and smiled. No particular reason, other than he felt absolutely fine. Better than fine. He had moved the hospital bed by the window earlier and had a beautiful view of the side garden of Duibne. It took him only a second to move it, which is probably why he was happy. He just lifted it and set it down on the other side of the room.

His grin widened recalling it.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova turned away from the door with a sigh as her mobile began to vibrate, giving the nurses a wide berth as they rushed into the room. She sighed and leaned against the wall while she pulled her phone out and had a brief conversation with registration regarding the two scientists they had taken from the compound.

She had named them Bill and Ted.

She had also made sure they gave blood to the ‘save Simon’ cause before handing them over to HR.

Hanging up the phone, Nova turned once more to look through the small glass window in the door.

She would need to see Kyle soon, she knew, but she didn’t really feel like dealing with the human right now. He would be feeling pretty good for a while yet, and Nova couldn’t help but hope he enjoyed it. It would be the last time he was feeling good for a while.

Simon was, at the moment, her main concern, and his current problem was one she thought maybe she could help with. Pushing open the door, she walked in quietly behind Marthinus, who was at the moment quite busy with keeping Simon in his bed.

The IVs were doing their work, she saw, but wouldn’t be for long if Simon kept thrashing about. The nurses were giving him a little something to help him relax but that would probably just mean he couldn’t move around. His brain would still be working full swing, which, in spite of the circumstances, Nova couldn’t help but see as a good thing. At least his mind hadn’t been totally baked by the sun and hopefully Simon would come out of this whole mess without anything too nuts happening.

“Hey Marthinus. I’m a do a thing.”

With that she walked over to the couch and flopped down, closing her eyes and tuning out the world. She didn’t need to be asleep to walk dreams, though if she crashed out while she was sitting here it wouldn’t surprise her. She tended to sleep like the dead and it was way passed her bed time.

Taking a deep breath, she focused on Simon with her mind, calling up the familiar image that helped her subconscious make the transition from her own mind to someone else’s.

She was in a long hallway with closed doors on both sides. She began walking, looking down to see the bright yellow ‘fuck you’ tee shirt that she tended to wear in her dreams. That wasn’t necessarily what the dreamer would see; hell, sometimes they didn’t see her at all. At the moment that was neither here nor there, though; she needed to find the door.

Dreamwalking got easier over time, the more you got to know a person and how they ticked. She had never poked around in Simon’s dreams before, but she was pretty close to him and hoped their creator/child relationship might help pave the way.

Nodding her head as name plates began to appear on the doors, she passed by a handful of ex boyfriends, coworkers, her brother, willing Simon’s name to appear. The hallway never seemed to end but she sighed in relief when she spotted a door with light streaming out the bottom.

The nameplate said Simon Huntington.

She pushed on the door and was pleased to see that it swung open with little effort.

/ooc permission to poke at Simon's dreams
Edit: We're going to make the dream world blue . That's what all the edits are.
Marthinus watched the nurse inject the sedative into Simon's IV. He started to calm down immediately, so it must've been quite a shot. He ran his hand over his balding head and sighed. Nova was now on the couch doing her dream walking ability. He shuddered at what she might see, but he didn't stop her.

He pulled gently at his bottom lip, looking at the now sleeping Simon. The nurses fixed his eye bandages and checked his IV entries. One of the nurses muttered as she found the ripped out IV. They continued wordlessly redoing it.

Marthinus sighed. He knew Simon and his guilt complexes. Would this kind of mental torture he'd undoubtedly put himself through be a fair trade? Killing your creator and freeing the clan only to put his own mind in a prison? He leaned back against the wall and wondered.
Carol 18 years ago
'Kyle you're fucking higher than a kite.'

She had been watching him just sit there, goofy ass grin on his face. Kyle had been in that same position for over two hours. He turned to look at her standing at the door. Same grin.

'Kyle you're addicted to the Eternity.' She walked up to him and touched his shoulder. 'You're going to be coming down soon.' No reaction, same grin. Carol sat on the bed and put her arm around Kyle, her head resting on his shoulder.

'You did a good thing Charlie Brown. We'll do everything we can to help.' Then looked out the window into the sunlight with him.
Nova 18 years ago
It was like walking into an inferno, the images of the burning compound so strong that she had to remind herself it was all just a dream, and not even hers. Nova had a rare moment of self doubt as she made her way over to where Simon was lying prone on his stomach, wondering if she could actually pull Simon out of this mess. For the first time since she had jumped into this headlong it really registered that Simon was bloody –old-, that even in his weakened state his mind was still strong. That maybe one couldn’t just stroll in and clean up a nearly ancient vampire’s subconscious.

Well. There was nothing for it now.

God, but she could actually feel the heat on her skin. This wasn’t some malleable image that would change with a snap of her fingers into a happy forest scene with little woodland creatures prancing about merrily. Not that that was something she was apt to do in a person’s dreams, but still.

She was going to need a little help from Simon, and hoped he was up for it.

As she neared her creator, she saw that he seemed to be sliding slowly across the floor, pulled by something she couldn’t see but she could sure as hell guess at. A few more steps proved her point and she had to swallow hard before she moved forward again.

Ellis, flaming and terrible and beautiful, was pulling hard on Simon’s arm, climbing up slowly from where she hung off the edge of the support beam, using him for leverage. A blackened hand reached up to gain purchase on the back of Simon’s neck as the flames climbed up to her hair, setting it alight.

Nova closed the distance, rushing to Simon’s side, chanting ‘it’s just a dream’ in her head as she kneeled down next to her creator.

"Simon. You’re dreaming. She’s not real."

She didn’t think that line was particularly convincing; Ellis certainly looked real as she snarled up at Simon, and she wondered just how much of this was memory and how much was a manifestation of his mind. She could see now where the nearly unbearable heat was coming from; below Ellis she could see nothing but endless flames.

Grabbing Simon by the chin, she spoke firmly and clearly.

"Simon, look at me. Don’t look down. We can make this go away. Just keep looking at me, okay?"

She wasn’t sure if Simon would recognize her here; she had, according to various reports, appeared as everything from a beloved dog to, in the case of a guy she decided was –definitely- not going to work out, someone’s mom. She had no real way of knowing how Simon’s mind might see her but hoped he would at the very least listen to the words.

All of her concentration right now, though, was devoted to taking Simon’s dream and changing it, slowly and carefully, to something safe. The fire turned to water at the edge of her vision, washing up around them before retreating to reveal an expanse of sand. The burning walls turned to a darkening sky, support beams and furniture turning into rock formations.

"Just look at me, Simon, and think of being somewhere safe."

She continued to hold Simon’s chin in a vice grip while the burning form of Ellis gradually shifted to a bright red fox. Unfortunately said fox still had Simon’s arm between her teeth, gnawing and tugging, and Nova released Simon’s face with one hand to slam it down hard in the sand in an attempt to scare it away.

"Fuck. Off."

Turning her attention back to Simon as quickly as she could, she spoke firmly.

"Stay with me man. You’re in a safe place, remember?"

She took a deep breath before very slowly, tentatively pulling away. She could change things up to a point but it was up to Simon to accept the new dream and work with her to keep it from reverting back. She had gone with the images she was comfortable with; the desert at night, sand underneath them and open sky above them, but this was Simon’s dream and his subconscious might decide to deal with the concept of a ‘safe place’ differently.

She tilted her head, waiting to see what would happen next.
Simon Huntington 18 years ago
Her face was partially burnt off, revealing a gaping eye socket, her cheekbone and sharp white teeth, fang included. He wasn't holding onto her, he was trying to pull away but her grip was like steel and her hands clamped down on his arm, pulling him deeper into the fire.

The heat on his face was almost unbearable. It dried his eyes out and singed his hair. He was losing his grip on the beam he hung onto and he slid slowly off the platform, towards Ellis who was laughing up at him.

Suddenly Nova was there, grabbing at him, trying to get him to look away. Why was she there, he cried inwardly. Simon looked at her, the pain and guilt wore on his face. He wanted to tell her to get out before it was over, but she was saying something.

‘Simon. You’re dreaming. She’s not real.’

He looked back at Ellis who was crawling up his arm and grabbing at his neck. The one glittering green eye was bloodshot and bleeding. He could smell her burnt skin and the spit from her mouth as she snarled at him.

‘Simon, look at me. Don’t look down. We can make this go away. Just keep looking at me, okay?’

Simon looked back at her, his eyes pleading. He wanted it all to go away more than anything. Suddenly everything around him changed.

‘Just look at me, Simon, and think of being somewhere safe.’

The burnt Ellis-thing suddenly turned into a red fox with sizzling green eyes. Nova was trying to shoo it away, but it just sneered at her and continued to ravage his arm. Finally something snapped in Simon.

What he did was right.

He let go of the beam but wasn't surprised when he didn't fall. He laid there on the desert sand and it was cool beneath him. The fox continued its effort to take his arm off. He reached back with his free arm and with as much strength as he could muster, punched the fox...dead in the face.

It flew about twenty feet. Recovering it turned back and looked at Simon and snarled. Simon stood, looking down at his attacked arm. He pulled his sleeve back. It was clean and unharmed. He looked up to see the fox running away, fading into the horizon.
Marthinus sat down in the chair next to Simon's bed and watched him sleep. Suddenly he began to move. His face tightened again and his hands grabbed at the sheets, his entire body tensing at some unseen horror in his mind. Marthinus looked on feeling helpless, watching his breathren fighting his demon. Whatever it was, he did not wish to see it. Vampires being easily compared to as monsters, god knows what their nightmares were about.

Simon began to sweat and his breathing became erratic. His heartbeat rose again and a nurse peeked in. Marthinus waved her away.

And just as sudden as Simon's nightmare began, he calmed down and began taking unlabored deep breaths. Simon turned his head to the side and seemed to go back into a restful state. His hands released the sheets and he relaxed. Marthinus leaned back into his chair, propping his chin in his hand. He wondered, would Simon ever really be free of Ellis.
Nova 18 years ago
Nova watched as the green eyed vixen ran for it, grinning in spite of herself. She wasn’t sure until the moment Simon punched the vicious fox in the head that he was with her but he seemed to have taken to running some ‘dream interference’ pretty well.

"Hey, you did great Mr. Man."

She took a seat in the sand, grinning up at Simon. Odd to find herself proud of a vampire so much older than herself, but she was; all she could do was nudge his brain a little and she knew Simon had done the real work.

"You did real well."

Suddenly realizing that they were hanging out, alone, in Simon’s subconscious mind, Nova floundered for a moment with just what one says in such a situation. She’d obviously witnessed something…personal. That was kind of in the cards with this particularly ability, and while she hadn’t hesitated to invade Simon’s space when he was in the heat of the moment, now it was perfectly possible that he was totally weirded out.

"So, uh…I don’t think you want to be awake right now; you got a little roughed up back there, should probably sleep and give yourself a chance to heal and stuff…"

She reached up to her neck to pull off the leather strap she knew would be there and held it out to Simon. On the end, a dreamcatcher similar to the one that hung from her rear view mirror dangled.

"Yeah, this dreamwalking shit makes me go all spiritual; I’ll leave you to get some peaceful kind of sleep, but if you have trouble you just remember to squeeze the hell out of that. Use your hand, not your brain."

She looked around for a minute, feeling distinctly awkward. Once she pulled out she’d put her car alarm keychain in his hand; maybe a little disruptive but if Simon needed her, who gave a shit who it pissed off? She considered going to Ginnie to get a better system set up, though; maybe something linked to her phone would be nice.

"Uh…before I go, if you want I can change the scenery…you could go to Tahiti or something."
Simon sat down next to Nova and gave her a half grin.

'I don't seem to be handling killing my creator very well.' He looked at the dream catcher, thankful for her help. He shrugged and looked down at the sand. It was so cool and breezy. The wind whipped up into his hair and he closed his eyes enjoying it. He could only imagine how he must look right now.

He spoke quietly.
'I let her fall, Nova.'
Nova 18 years ago
Nova watched, still somewhat apprehensive, as Simon made himself comfortable in the sand. She couldn't help but think it was pretty cool that he seemed to dig the desert, but his next words gave her pause.

She was about to mention that there was this big assed fire and it was hardly his fault that he made it out and she didn't, but then he cleared up his point and she was too busy trying not to goggle at him to say much of use for a bit.

Deciding that if now wasn't the time for a drink, there just wasn't a time at all, she reached behind her where a bottle of whiskey was waiting. Opening it up, she took a sip before handing the bottle over to Simon.

"You had some tough choices, but then it seems she already made hers. She chose to let the whole clan take it up the...er...fall. It was her choices that put us all in that building in the first place."

She tilted her head back to look at the full moon, then frowned when she realized it should be more of a fingernail moon. Dreams, go figure.

"I'm just grateful that there's some good people that get to make choices too. You know Kyle managed to drag you to the sewers? I still say he's an interfering boob but between you and me I'm glad he was there." She snorted a little, then added: "'course, I dunno that he's gonna be so glad in a little while, but hell, he likes to be right, maybe knowing he did the right thing'll be nice for him."

She spared a glance over at Simon, wondering if there was anything she could really say to make him feel better. She'd always had more questions than answers, which was, in the scheme of things, the way it was supposed to be, but it sure would be nice to have something better to say.

"I don't envy the choices you have to make. And I sure as hell don't know that it gets easier from here; you got a clan looking to you now, a life to lead, a future to build. Hell, just choosing to -have- a future's a tough thing."

She shrugged, shoving her hands in the sand up to the wrist before looking down and realizing her hands were actually in her pockets. Yeah, dreams were weird shit; did her pants even have pockets before now? Shit...was she even -wearing- pants before now? She sure hoped so, that would be pretty embarrassing.

"I'm just glad you're gonna be okay. We all are."
"I’m just glad you’re gonna be okay. We all are." Nova said.

Simon didn't answer her because he didn't know if it was true. Suddenly he looked up and around. He could feel Carol coming down the hallway.

'I'm going to have to go now, Nova.' He stood up and held a hand out to Nova to help her up. 'There's something you're going to need to know.'

He pulled her to her feet and smiled at her. 'Carol's coming in to the room now. She'll have something to tell you since I'm pretty doped up right now because of the pain. I hope it makes you happy.' Simon pulled Nova close and hugged her. 'And thank you.'

Nova 18 years ago
Nova took Simon’s offered hand and rose to her feet, returning the hug with damn near rib crushing force as he explained that she would want to talk to Carol. It sounded like good news and she wondered what the deal was.

This was, in any case, her cue to go, and with a last little smile and not a little hope, she turned around. As was the way of things in dreams, she found herself back in the hallway and started for the door with the light filtering out the bottom.

She came to with a rather indelicate grunt and took a moment to let her vision adjust before looking around the room, first down at Simon, then, somewhat sheepishly, over at Marthinus.

“How you holding up?”

Remembering that Simon had said Carol was coming, she stood up to open the door for her, then froze.

Just how the hell did Simon know Carol was on her way?
Carol 18 years ago
Carol closed Kyle's door quietly and then ran down the hallway back to Simon's room which was on the otherside of the wing. She dodged a nurse and with an apologetic 'oops' ignored the angry looks as she passed the nurses station next to Simon's wing. 'Alright alright,' she slowed down and then suddenly it hit her.

Her stomach cramped up and the nausea was coming again. They took Simon away so quickly she couldn't see him until just now so she visited Kyle while she waited for the doctors to stabilize him. Carol completely stopped and bent over in the hallway, trying to gasp for air.

Oh dear god the pain he must be in, she thought. She waved away a nurse that had come up to help her and she straightened, heading towards Simon's door slowly. With each step the cramping got worse.

Carol reached out to put her hand on the handle when Nova opened it, looking a little shocked.
'Nova...' She stopped as the door swung open, revealing him on the bed. Suddenly she ran around his bed and into the bathroom. The vomitting was so violent she thought she was going to pass out right there on the bathroom floor.

Pulling herself up, she painfully washed out her mouth and walked back out to Simon. Marthinus stood and walked her to his chair, sitting her next to the bed. With one arm craddling her stomach, she reached out and touched Simon's hand. He stirred and murmured her name.

'I'm here Simon, I'm here.'
Martinus looked at Nova as Carol came rushing in and ran to the bathroom. Their bonding was creating the ill sensation she was experiencing and he didn't know how long she could be near him while he was this badly hurt. The sound of her wretching was enough for him to question whether he could stand seeing them in such pain together.

However he wondered just what Nova would say, who undoubtedly would put two and two together. Carol came back out a minute later and he helped her into his chair. Simon immediately responded to her and it warmed his heart to see them together. Lord knows he had his doubts, but with things...changed now, who knew what could happen?
Nova 18 years ago
Nova blinked as Carol moved passed her to the bathroom, still stuck on the whole ‘Simon knew Carol was on her way’ thing. The sounds coming from the bathroom distracted her from further thought on that matter, though she wasn’t sure what the hell to think anyway.

Sounded like Carol was hurling something fierce and she looked over at Marthinus with a concerned expression before deciding maybe she should check to make sure Ellis’s familiar was okay.

Shit. Ellis’s familiar. Nova had never heard of violent illness being a symptom of a familiar bond breaking but then there weren’t a whole lot of cases to look at. In any case, she imagined something like that would sure fuck a body up. She wondered if Marthinus was feeling icky too.

Kinda odd, though, that it had been Simon she was screaming over the com channel for. Not Ellis, Simon. And there was still the deal with Simon knowing where Carol was.

Carol came back out of the bathroom while Nova was still trying to sort this shit out, and her eyes went wide at their interaction. She turned to Marthinus, pointing between Carol and Simon. Not wanting to interrupt…whateverthefuck was going on, she mouthed two words in her friend’s direction.

‘Holy Shit.’

Marthinus, meanwhile, had calmly given up his chair and seemed pretty unflapped by this development. Did he know about this?

“I think I missed a memo.”
Carol 18 years ago
“I think I missed a memo.”

Carol looked at Nova and the expression on her face. Oh right. She looked back at her hand holding Simon's and flicked her eyes back at Nova.
'It just sort of...happened, Nova.' She took a deep breath, trying to fight off another wave of nausea. 'I think it must've been when he...decided to...take steps.'

She looked back at Simon and gently touched his forehead. Just then another nurse came in and checked the skin under his bandages.

'
These can come off now, they appear to be decently healed.' The nurse gently cut the wrapping off and Simon stirred again, moving closer to Carol.

Carol's face tightened up in pain but seeing his face clearly still made her smile. Out loud, to no one in particular, Carol said softly,
'I love him.'
Nova 18 years ago
Nova tried to stop doing her impression of a goldfish as Carol explained how things had gone down. Damn but that was some crazy shit, they must have been on pins and needles all this time.

She watched as the nurse cut the bandages away, revealing freshly healed skin, and certainly didn’t miss the fact that the two lovebirds moved closer to each other as soon as they possibly could, even with Simon in his current messed up state. Realizing she hadn’t said anything in response to the rather shocking news, she let a grin break over her face.

“Well…shit, good for you!”

So. Simon and Carol…in love.

And she thought dreams were weird.
Marthinus opened the door and called a nurse. Then he put his hands on Carol's shoulders softly.

'Carol you need to be away from Simon when he's like this. The pain is only going to get worse until he gets better. Maybe in several hours?' Carol looked up at Marthinus and nodded with a grimace. Before she left, she reached over and pressed her forehead against Simon's and then gave him a small kiss on his lips. Again he stirred, his grip on her hand did not seem to want to let go.

Marthinus did not have the words. He had never seen Simon, for one, in this much pain but the fact that he knew she was there and needed her so much, even while drugged pretty heavily, just impressed the hell out of him. He knew Carol would've stayed till she passed out, as well. He hoped to god that he'd find some peace in his life now, especially with Carol.

He gently helped her up and out the door with the nurse. Marthinus watched the door close and then he turned to face Nova. With a sheepish grin, he put his hands in his pockets.

'Yes, I knew. She told me several days ago. Apparently it was sudden.' He raised his eyesbrows and grinned. 'They seem to be very much in love.' Marthinus looked away under Nova's stare, blushing slightly.

((Carol out))
Nova 18 years ago
Nova frowned as Marthinus led Carol out of the room, making the connection now that it was Simon’s injuries and not the familiar bond that was causing her sickness. Marthinus seemed at least a touch sheepish about knowing before everyone else and Nova gave him what she hoped was a reassuring shrug.

“We’ve all had a lot on our minds; all the more shocking that they were dealing with” She gave her hand an abstract wave “love…things.” Resisting the urge to wash out her mouth after saying the dreaded ‘l’ word, she instead focused on the scientific aspects of all of this.

“So what’s the deal though? Is Carol Simon’s familiar now or is the whole ‘I feel your pain’ thing something else? And are you feeling okay?”