An Evening with the Devil

Theo made her way up to the box office of the opera house, walking regally with her head held high, like a queen. Dani had told her that all she had to do was tell the man at the box office her name and he would give her a ticket to see that evening's showing of Faust, which meant that she must be a very important person tonight.

She certainly looked important, with her long black gown and high heels. Very grown up.

She approached the little man behind the counter and spoke in a clear voice.

"Theodosia."Â?

She waited patiently for the little man to give her the ticket she was promised, believing that she had done what she was supposed to do.

The little man, though, did not seem to agree, and instead of giving her the ticket, stared and stared.

He thinks you look pretty.

He's angry with you...maybe it's because he's old and bald instead of young and pretty.

This seemed reasonable to Theo. Jealous people were sad and should try to make the best of what they had instead of coveting other people. Deciding that perhaps he needed some additional help, since he had started to turn away and gesture to the next person in line, she put her hand on the counter. Her nails were painted with clear polish and she wore a ring with tiny red garnets that made a butterfly.

"Give me my ticket."Â?

The bald man gave her a completely uncalled for look and put one hand on his hip.

'Get outta here, kid. Members only.'

Kid? Kid! Oooooh, the nerve of that man!

Theo considered her options, remembering to contain her anger. She could practically feel her eyes flashing, though, and that gave her an idea. Focusing on the bald man, she pushed the image of flames dancing in her eyes to him and flashed him a malicious smile.

Maybe that would show him this was no 'kid' he was dealing with. She only did it for a second and he would probably just think he was crazy, or had too much to drink, but he was unsettled enough to perhaps be a little more receptive.

You scared him bad for a second!

Deciding the foolish man had had enough, she gave him another chance.

"Theodosia."Â?

Jan 18 years ago
Jan walked up behind the teenaged girl at the box office and listened to the situation going on at the counter. The girl only stated her first name but how many tickets could they possibly have on hold for someone named Theodosia? Who names their kid that these days anyway? Who names their child Johannes here in the US either for that matter? Family name, that was the excuse he used and it could hold true for the girl in front of him as well.

"You might want to take the time to consider whether she -is- a member or knows someone who is... and while you are looking for her ticket, look for Jan Yager also and, yes, that is me. "

Jan held up his driver's license to prove his point.

He shrugged at the girl and waited for the man behind the counter to go look for the tickets. Poor guy seemed rather nervous all of the sudden, Jan didn't think he was all that imposing, he smirked to himself at the thought. Maybe Mr Customer Service just now realized that the girl he offended might be the daughter of someone extremely important and that if the darling little princess wished it she could have him sacked. Highly amused at the thought, he whispered to her.

"He obviously wasn't given a training course in manners. "
Theodosia 18 years ago
Theo peered curiously at the handsome youth’s little card, though she was mildly concerned that the bald man would try to take it. That wouldn’t do at all; even –she- knew that the card belonged to Jan Yager, because it had his picture on it. Otherwise she might have been tempted.

Take it take it take it take it!

Shaking away the bad thoughts while the mean rude person went to look for their tickets, she turned and smiled up at the nice boy, nodding in agreement at his wise assessment.

“That is a shame. Perhaps he was born that way and can’t help it.”

She considered that sentiment for a moment before adding, in her most queenly voice:

“Or perhaps he is in want of a good instructor.”

She fixed the little man, who had returned with two tickets in hand, with her most angelic expression with just the hint of a halo behind her head, thinking that perhaps that would teach him a lesson. Then she picked both tickets up off the counter and turned expectantly to her date, for that was what she had decided Jan Yager was.

“Shall we?”

She batted her eyelashes in an exaggerated fashion as she spoke, hoping that Jan Yager would prove agreeable.

He’s not your date. Give him his ticket.

“I’m just holding it.” She waved the two tickets in front of her to show him what she meant, then placed both her hands behind her back and took a step backward, grinning.

“Come on.”
Jan 18 years ago
Jan grinned at thought of the sour man being born a grouchy little baby, it was quite possible and probably just as bald. Such uncharitable thoughts to have considering he'd never know the horror of losing his hair but then he'd never know the joys of growing up either so he guessed it all evened out.

Theodosia's dignified air when she proclaimed the man in want of a good instructor was also priceless. He decided he rather liked the girl.

"I agree but I think we've taught him as best we could for now. We don't want to miss the show."

The blonde picked up both tickets and seemed to decide she was accompanying him into the opera, which was quite alright with Jan. He was in a social mood and she had been fun to be around so far. Faust with a friend, it could become a new Yager tradition.

"I don't mind"

He followed behind the girl with a bemused sort of grin. Wouldn't you know it, go to see an opera and expect to be surrounded by a bunch of snoring seniors and a few stiffs and end up with a young fun date instead, Jan wasn't sure what good deed he'd done to deserve such luck but he hoped it held out for an entertaining evening.
Theodosia 18 years ago
Theo grinned as she led the way to the stairs, pleased that Jan was so quick on the uptake. With a bit of bounce in her step, she lifted her dress enough that she wouldn’t trip on the hem and started up the flight of stairs.

She thought the red carpeting was a nice touch, especially with the dark, moody lighting.

Rather like walking on the blood of your enemies, wouldn’t you say?

Theo considered the question and decided that Paul was being silly again. Blood was more sticky and this theater certainly did not have sticky floors.

She looked down at her ticket to check the box, then realized that Jan Yager was in a different part of the theater. Well that was just too bad; she had already made up her mind.

She led the way down the hall to the Meridian box, where there was a nice man in a black suit waiting in front of the curtain. She knew he was a nice man because all of the men in black suits that worked for Meridian were nice. If they weren’t nice to her, she didn’t have to see them again.

Coming closer, she recognized the body guard as Timothy. She walked up to him and tilted her head to one side.

“This is Jan Yager. Jan Yager, this is Timothy. He’s here to make sure no one bothers us.”

Timothy nodded her head at both of them and opened up the curtain for them to walk through. He didn’t say much but he had told her once that he was supposed to look serious all the time and she reasoned that it was easier to be serious when you didn’t talk.
Jan 18 years ago
Jan followed Theodosia into the building and wondered if she were going to decide they needed to part ways to their respective seats. Apparently not... He continued up towards the box and whistled inwardly to himself.

Classy seats. He might have been right about Mr Customer Service having no job in the morning; from the looks of the arrangements made for one girl which seemed to include her own bodyguard, the man had made a mistake in being rude.

Jan nodded at Timothy and followed the blonde into the private box.

"Very nice seats you have. Much better than mine were. Where would you like to sit?"

He forgot to bring opera glasses but they weren't necessary, he could sing the parts of the play by heart he knew them so well. Jan hadn't expected to be sitting in seats this good either; he had a much better view of the stage here than he would have. Definitely a good deed done somewhere. Maybe it was apologizing to Thaddeus at the ball; Jan shrugged to himself and figured that it had not cost him much in the way of pride and it might have helped him make a friend.

"So have you seen Faust before?'
Theodosia 18 years ago
There were two tiers in this particular box and eight people could be seated tonight; there were little tables for two set up with plush chairs around them. Theo chose a table on the far right, at the bottom, close to the stage and very near the balcony.

First, though, she walked up to the edge and leaned over as far as she could.

Does it make you dizzy? It makes me dizzy!

Smiling a little, she looked down as the crowd filtered in, but she pulled back when Jan asked her a question, shaking her head.

“No; it sounded interesting though, I’m quite excited.”

Going out to the opera by herself and getting to pick what she saw was a fairly new thing for Theo, in the scheme of things; before coming to Meridian and getting a very important job she had been moved from place to place a lot and most people didn’t bother with letting her find her own amusement, insisting on keeping her nearby and ‘out of trouble.’ Sometimes it still felt like she was watched a lot but at least nowadays she had more control over her own comings and goings.

“What about you?”

She went back to their little table and took a seat, opening up the little drawer in the table while she waited for Jan to reply. Inside were two pairs of opera glasses and she took both out. She set one pair down and held the other thoughtfully for a moment.

My god, what pathetic community college understudy is taking place of the –real- singer tonight? Terrible!

She decided that pair would get annoying and set it down, picking up the other one instead.

Shh. Listen.

The second pair met her approval and she held onto it, hoping that Jan Yager wouldn't mind taking the noisy pair.
Jan 18 years ago
Jan was glad she chose one of the tables near the balcony, neither of them were very tall and while he didn't mind not seeing things as closely as he would if he'd had brought a pair of glasses, he still not want to look around some man's head or some lady's ridiculously tall hat.

"It is one of my favorite operas."

Taking a seat, he looked at the people milling around below them in all their finery. He had personally opted for a pair of black trousers and a thin cashmere sweater, no doubt there were those who would wonder how he could make even his dress clothes look like an after thought. Jan considered it an art, the art of dressing just into acceptable and watching to see who would take offense.

"Do you speak French?"

Theodosia pulled out two sets of opera glasses and held them both for a moment before handing him the pair she had picked up first. She hadn't looked through them so he could see not cause for preference, it wasn't like they were broken that he could see. Suspicious mind, he berated himself a moment, she didn't do anything to them. Had it been Nova, he might have checked the rims first to make sure they wouldn't leave black circles around his eyes. Jan smiled at his new friend and said.

"I was just thinking that my sister would likely play some sort of prank on me here, like give me a pair of glasses with the lenses reversed to make everything tiny or put ink around the edges so that when I put them up to my eyes they drew circles on my face. Its a good thing that she'd likely never come to the opera. I think I'm safe."
Theodosia 18 years ago
Theo nodded her head, still fiddling and looking out at the crowd.

“Oui.”

She rested the glasses on her lap, though, when Jan mentioned the possibility of pranks. This concerned her and she hoped there was nothing wrong with his pair of glasses; after all, someone loud and obnoxious had used them before.

“I think they’re okay…the person who used them before wouldn’t do something like that, I don’t think.”

She didn’t think that voice sounded like someone who would play with the glasses but sometimes it could be hard to tell. She tilted her head, interested at his mentioning of a sister.

“Is she your big sister or your little sister?”
Jan 18 years ago
Oh good, he wouldn't have to translate then, though the story was written out on the programmes to help people follow along who did not speak the language.

"Parfait"

Jan looked down at the glasses a moment and then back up at Theodosia. The person who used them before? Oh? He guessed she came here often and knew who they belonged to.

"Well that's good."

He looked at the glasses thoughtfully a moment.

"Do you know the owner of them, then?"

At the question about his sister, Jan paused a moment, wondering how to best explain.

"Close, but I'm still an inch or so taller than she is and older as well."

By a few hundred years...
Theodosia 18 years ago
Theo grinned a little as though reflecting on an inside joke before answering Jan’s query.

“No, I don’t, but I’m a very good guesser.”

I think you have a little help with that ‘guessing.’

Her smile broadened enough to make her nose crinkle at that; it was the simplest way to explain how she knew things that she shouldn’t; for some reason ‘the voices tell me’ never really went over that well and she didn’t want to frighten Jan away. In fact, that thought made her feel a little sad.

“You’re lucky; baby sisters are loads more fun and you get to be the boss.”

Her eyes widened a little as the lights started to go dim. It seemed they would have the box to themselves which was fine with her. From below the sounds of chatter began to die down and she shot Jan an anticipatory smile before looking curiously to the stage. She could see flickers of people dressed entirely in black, apparently trying to be invisible while they moved about, but the massive red curtain hid most of the activity from view. The orchestra pit, however, had decided to make itself known, and began introducing the music to the still settling crowd.
Jan 18 years ago
A very good guesser? She had seemed so certain before... the smile made him wonder....

Now come on not everyone was a vampire. It would make sense for why she was certain... Or maybe she didn't 'know' the owner but just watched the owner last time, perhaps the smile was because she hid them? Okay, now you're assuming other people have your habits, first the vampire thoughts and now the gamess, not everyone was a centuries old vampire who like to steal things and go to the opera. How many of those could there actually be, especially ones that appeared to be in their teens? There was most likely an explanation that his twisted mind wasn't coming up with, something perfectly normal like her father works with the owner of the glasses and he's some young guy that she secretly likes or something.

Whatever the explanation, Theodosia was positively adorable when she smiled like that and Jan decided that the reasons for her guess did not matter in the least.

"Hmm, well she's a pretty good sister to have even though I'm not so sure she'd listen to me much if I tried to tell her what to do. Do you have any brothers and sisters?"

He smiled in return as the lights began to dim and settled back a bit in his seat as the orchestra began to warm up
Theodosia 18 years ago
Theo considered the question for a moment, wondering if it was a trick, but decided that wasn’t very likely. It certainly felt like a trick question because it was hard to answer but she didn’t think Jan was being mean.

I want to go too! You’re not so much bigger than me!

She had brothers and sisters a long time ago but they were all dead now. It had been sad to leave the littlest ones behind when they crossed the river but they would have died all the sooner. She didn’t know if her big brothers and older sister lived through the famine; she assumed they had starved to death but had never asked about their fates. She barely remembered what they looked like and hardly gave them a thought, truth be told.

Then there were those of her own kind. She didn’t really consider any of Wilhem’s children to be her brothers and sisters; she didn’t know most of them in the first place and in the second place regarding them as family was as ridiculous in her mind as thinking of Wilhem as a father. Some people talked about Evenhet like it was family; Theo just didn’t look at it that way. They were her clan and that was better than a family.

“I have friends that care about me and want me around. Some of them are a little like brothers and sisters.”

She smiled when she spoke, keeping her voice low and hoping that explained it well enough.
Jan 18 years ago
Jan thought about Theodosia's answer and wondered what happened to her family that caused her to stay with friends instead. She could have run away or not have one at all he supposed. It was a sad situation and one he understood as well; he found himself feeling like he had more in common with her now than before.

"I can understand that. My family adopted me and I must say that I love them more than the mother that I remember. "

He wondered at these people that she stayed with and who took care of her. They were wealthy if they had all this but she implied that they weren't her family. Was she a servant and that was why the man at the ticket counter did not recognize her? It did not matter who she was in his opinion, the man had no call to be rude to her when it was his job to be polite to all the patrons equally. Timothy, outside the door though did not fit into the picture of a live in au pair being given a night to herself but perhaps this family was really news worthy and someone would even consider kidnaping their nanny for ransom. It was perhaps the best guess he could come up with without them speaking more.

Turning back to the stage as the play began, he busied himself with adding dramatic touches to the scene before him, fixing the lighting, adding more luxury to the costumes and washing out the crowd in a sea of blackness for his own enjoyment.

The actors this show were actually very good and he soon let his glamour drop as he became carried away with the music.
Theodosia 18 years ago
Theo gave Jan a curious look when he mentioned his own family, and gave a little smile after a long moment.

“It’s nice to be wanted, I think.”

Theo wasn’t sure she loved anyone; the voices never told her that she did, but then they never told her when someone loved –her-, either, so maybe they just didn’t understand it. She liked a few people well enough to think of how they would feel if she did something she shouldn’t and there were some she even liked to try to make happy. In return they let her stay and gave her things to do, and sometimes even kept her company.

Seeing that Jan had turned to regard the stage, she did likewise and watched the curtain finish its ascent. Then the play began and she mentally told everyone to be quiet, doing her best to tune out the running commentary. Even Paul mostly behaved himself, though, as the music seemed to have captured everyone’s attention.

She picked up the glasses again to get a better look, studying the faces of the actors. When she concentrated too much, though, the voices picked up their volume, telling her this actor was nervous and that actress was sad, which was distracting. She turned to clear her head and refocus, and looked over at Jan to see how he was enjoying the show. He seemed taken in by it; more absorbed than a lot of the people here, in fact. She liked that he was so calm; some people were exhausting to be around after only a few minutes because they just felt so loudly over every little thing. She tried to picture him furiously angry and found that she couldn’t.

Forgoing the glasses now, she brought her attention back to the opera, her hands folded in her lap.
Jan 18 years ago
Jan heard Theodosia speak quietly in answer to him as the music began to start up in earnest and nodded. It was indeed good to be wanted and it was that thing that had always awed him about his family; Tacharan kept and wanted even those that the other two did not seem to want at all. Evenhet and Anantya could think what they wanted about his clan but neither of them would ever be as worthy to him as the one he called family and there were few things in his life that made him more proud than being Tacharan.

He lost all track of where he was as the opera fully caught his attention. It seemed like they had only been sitting there for a few moments when the first intermission was called. Jan blinked as the house lights slowly started to brighten and took a moment to clear his head of the strains of music before standing and stretching his legs.

They told him quite clearly that he had been sitting unmoving for quite some while, turning to Theodosia, he asked.

"Would you care to head back down to the lobby and get something to drink with me?"
Theodosia 18 years ago
The opera, Theodosia had decided, could be absolutely wonderful if you allowed it to be. Push too hard or think too much and it could get overwhelming, but if you just let it happen before your eyes the experience was richly rewarding.

She could see why even people who didn’t understand the language could enjoy the play.

She looked over as Jan stood up, wondering if he was going away. That concerned her for a moment, but then he politely asked her to join him for a drink and she figured everything was okay.

“I would be delighted.”

She stood carefully, wobbling on her heels a little before the feeling came back to her legs, and offered a shaky smile. The rest of the world was still coming back to her, the opera having drowned out the noise, so to speak, but she got her footing quickly enough and stepped to Jan’s side, where she hesitated.

It’s okay. What’s he going to do?

Only laugh his full head off.

Deciding that it would be best to loftily ignore the voices and do what she wanted, she wrapped her fingers lightly around Jan’s arm and started for the curtained exit.

“Enjoying the show so far?”
Jan 18 years ago
Jan waited for Theodosia to get up and get used to the lights again, smiling when she said she would accompany him. At least she did not seem to be some pampered rich girl who thought he should go get the drinks himself, though he had to admit this would probably have been a polite thing to do. His felt the need to stretch his legs though and no doubt she felt the same.

He was mildly surprised when she took his arm but was quite pleased by the gesture. It seemed in some way more serene and intimate than simply holding hands, as if you were so close that it would be easy to envision leaning in to share some secret thought about the opera or what someone was wearing or some other trivial piece of information that you still might not have wanted to shout to the world.

Smiling at Theodosia, he led them out of the box past Timothy and into the crowd of people heading towards their various destinations such as the restrooms, lobby or smoking area...all of which caused the crowd to flow in the same general direction.

"Absolutely! Mephistophélès sings very well this time and Marguerite is enchanting. What do you think of it so far?"

Someone in the crowd bumped him hard in the side and Jan stopped momentarily and reached out a steadying hand to the fingers wrapped lightly around his arm. He bent forward a bit trying to find his balance and then righted himself once more.

"Looks like the other cattle in the coral are a bit restless."

Looking at the various lines for food, he turned his head to Theodosia to ask.

"So what would the Lady Theodosia like to drink?"
Theodosia 18 years ago
Theo tried to stop herself from tugging nervously at her hair with her free hand as Jan led the way through the curtain, but didn’t quite manage it when they stepped into the crowd of people. She supposed it could have been worse; it wasn’t a particularly rowdy group, just mildly impatient. Something the voices were continually reminding her of.

Doing her best to tune everything out short of humming quietly to herself, which she found didn’t go over very well in public…

…because people think you’re crazy when you do that….

…she nearly missed Jan’s remark. As she was nearly always keeping up with several conversations at once, though, she recovered reasonably well and turned to Jan with a somewhat strained smile.

“The music is simply amazing. It’s such a sad story, to be told so beautifully.”

There were a lot of stories like that; sad and beautiful at the same time. Like the story of Jesus; the priests told her His was a story of great joy but she knew they felt sad when they thought of his suffering.

Is mine a beautiful, sad story too Theodosia?

Theo considered that question for a moment and decided that Paul’s story fit that description quite well. She told him so, mentally.

Paul didn’t answer, but he seemed mildly amused for some reason Theo couldn’t understand. He was like that a lot, though, and Theo didn’t let it worry her.

Someone rather rudely knocked into Jan and, to Theo’s surprise, kept walking without the slightest concern for the trouble he had caused. She tightened her grip on Jan’s arm and brought her other hand up to his shoulder, but he seemed to recover well enough.

Turning to give the snotty rude man a reproachful glare, she said in a lofty voice:

“Perhaps he went to the same school of etiquette as the man at the box office.” She gave her head a little shake. “Yet another who needs a few lessons in manners.”

Out in the lobby they had more room to work with and fewer people in close contact, and Theo relaxed a little as they approached the counters. Jan’s question, though, gave her pause; she had been so focused on the adventure of leaving the box that she had quite forgotten she would be expected to drink something like a normal person. This was what MARI would call ‘blending in’ and when she was out in public that was what she was supposed to do.

Even so, this was mildly intimidating and she hoped she wouldn’t make a mistake. It wasn’t very hard to ‘blend in’ because even if you did something wrong most people would just ignore it, but Theo liked to do things right. She answered in a somewhat meek voice.

“I’d like a coke please.”
Jan 18 years ago
Jan turned to Theodosia and grinned at her comment about the other man's manners. It was true, he most certainly needed a lesson in etiquette. It was quite lucky then that Jan was in a position to give him one.

"Yes, he does and I am sure he'll get a lesson or two one of these days. "

The rude individual in question was in line ahead of them speaking to another vendor. Jan waited until the man had picked up his drinks and moved to walk away from the counter with them and then using his telekinesis he squeezed the large paper cup towards the top enough that it popped off the lid and spilled soft drink over the man's arm, pants and shoes. One should definitely be more careful.

Smiling innocently at his companion, he then turned to the lady at the counter.

"Two cokes please...."

He wasn't very hungry, not that they'd have what sustained him readily available behind the counter, but also there was nothing he wanted to munch on for the sake of eating it, certainly not while watching the rest of the opera. Jan turned to make sure there was nothing more they wanted to order.

"I am not particularly hungry but is there anything else you would like, Theodosia?"
Theodosia 18 years ago
There was an air of general anticipation as they stood in line, and Theo was surprised when the voices reported a similar feeling in Jan. She supposed everyone hated to wait but the next comment gave her pause.

Well, he’s quite pleased with himself, isn’t he?

Jan was looking over at the rude man, who at that moment had a rather unfortunate accident with his drink.

That was amusing.

She looked to Jan, returning his smile, though now she was wondering…

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc?

Dismissing her own faulty reasoning, she released Jan’s arm as they approached the counter.

It seemed food would not have to be part of the act tonight, which was something of a relief for Theo; while some of her kind continued to eat as they did when they were human, she’d fallen out of the habit early on and never really picked it up again.

“Thank you for asking, but no, I’m not hungry.”

She wondered for a moment why Jan was continuing to be so formal, and hoped she wasn’t making him uncomfortable. So few people called her by her full name and while that had been fun at first now she was worried it was a sign of being ill at ease.

You never told him he could call you Theo.

Smiling at the reminder and oddly touched that Jan had decided not to shorten the name on his own, instead politely waiting for her to say something, she leaned in while the woman behind the counter got their drinks.

“You can call me Theo, if you want. That’s what my friends call me.”

She typically only introduced herself as Theodosia these days to people she felt deserved to have to say the extra syllables, which might have been petulant of her but it was as good a system as any. The world was full of rules that didn’t make any sense so she didn’t see why hers had to be reasonable.

/ooc Permission to sense Jan.

Latin is “after this, therefore because of this.”