Followup! (attn: Alec)

((ooc: The night after Replacing the Lace))

Here she was, standing on the street again. She'd wandered into an area she really didn't know, but it seemed safe enough. She knew damn well she shouldn't be wandering the streets, but Aishe was feeling restless again and she couldn't get her mind off of Kem. Damn him anyway.

Well, too late for that.

She'd have to think of a more appropriate curse for times like these, apparently.

Backtracking, she wandered around pensively, too sunk in thought to take much notice of her surroundings, which defeated the purpose entirely. She was supposed to be learning her way around!

Looking up, she found herself back outside the lingerie store. The fragment of an idea flickered through her head and she took out her cell phone. Digging through her purse, she found the little card she'd stowed away the night of the ball.

The phone connected; she waited, staring curiously up at the store's sign.

Alec Devereaux 18 years ago
His phone tapped lightly in his pocket - even on the lowest setting it still sometimes startled him. Pulling it out, he flipped it open, consulting his number guide to see who it was. It was an out of town number...not of standard run, either, so a cell registered to another city. Out of towners not from a Southern area code usually meant either business or new contacts, so he picked up.

This is Alec.
Aishe 18 years ago
Doing her best not to giggle into the phone at the serious tone of voice, she finally drawled back,

"Well Astaire, did it work?"
Pausing a moment, he thought about the voice. Ah, Aishe. Blushing at the realization of what she was asking, he stated.

Oh, hey Aishe. Uh...yeah. A little too well, perhaps. What's up?
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe smiled at the voice over the phone, although she knew Alec couldn't see it. He was a good sport, given all the ribbing he'd taken from... well, pretty much everyone, every time she'd bumped into him. Figuratively and literally.

"Well, I'm sort of out on the town, I suppose, and truth be told it's a little lacklustre when you're wandering it alone. I thought maybe you'd want to hang a bit, if you're free." A little shy suddenly (she really wasn't used to initiating hang-out sessions with any of her friends), she added, "That is, if Ginnie will let you out at all. She's welcome to come along if she likes. I suppose I'm just in the mood for some company, and you're actually one of the only people I've really spoken with since getting here."

Ok, good time to shut up. Aishe covered the phone with her free hand and huffed a sigh. She was completely distracted tonight. She really needed to figure out what kept causing it, or else she was going to have to seek mental help.
Smiling at her invitation to include Ginnie and her new underwear, Alec grinned. No need to subject Ginnie to any potential embarrassments at the hand of his friends until he'd had a chance to share the whole story. Chuckling, Alec replied,

Sure thing - we'll work on your social skills and see if we can't make you a new friend to mortify in lingerie boutiques or butcher shops or something. Ginnie is actually off to work, and since I'm a career slacker until my client list builds up, I'm pretty darn free. I was just wondering what I'd be doing tonight when you called. Where do you want to meet?

One thing was for sure, he could certainly use another perspective on the whole "moving in" thing, since he was blissfully out of his comfort zone with Ginnie and could be careening either toward paradise or madness for all he knew. Hopefully Aishe would be receptive to that kind of talk...which reminded him, he still needed to talk shop around Nachton with Amberelle some night soon.
Aishe 18 years ago
Her smile widening, Aishe gave a soft laugh.

"My social skills? That's rich," she teased back. "Should I list all of yours, or shall I just live in constant fear that I might start picking some of them up by association?"

She wasn't sure why he put her at ease... or why she couldn't resist pulling his leg some. Or a lot.

"Well, I've actually been staying at Liefde Towers, and I'm not far from there now if you know where it is. I could meet you out front, or you can meet me here in front of the scene of last night's crime. Up to you."

She hesitated before telling him where she'd been staying; not for her own security, but because she wasn't sure how much she was supposed to say about it. After some brief thought, she decided it'd have been odder to not say, and that if Alec didn't know anything about vampires, he wouldn't draw any connections between Liefde and Evenhet.

If he did, however... she boggled at the thought. She hadn't considered that Alec might be knowledgable about the subject. They really needed some kind of secret handshake or something.
Gasping in mock offense, Alec replied

Oh suuuuure. Knock over one group of people at an extremely public formal event and you have issues with your social skills. I'll have you know that I know which is the shrimp fork!

Listening a bit more, Alec smirked. Liefde...pretty sure that just the biters and the bitten lived there, but he'd still play his hand a little close an just mention an affiliation as well. Nice to have that question answered, though.

Liefde? Swanky...but I'm pretty sure that I'm not on their exclusive guest list since I took that consulting job down at Duibne. I'll meet you on the Strip in a few minutes, though?
Aishe 18 years ago
"Of course. The shrimp fork is the stick you use to stir the gumbo," Aishe replied. "And yes, I believe at Liefde one needs to at least be in the habit of wearing shoes. No overalls with a broken strap, and Maw and Paw need to stay at home with the hawgs."

Figuring that was enough grief for one night, Aishe considered. Hadn't she been told something about Duibne? The name rang a bell. It would seem Alec, too, was in some way associated with one of the clans. Funny, how in order to determine what was and wasn't safe to talk about, one had to perform a kind of dance first. Drop the right word, allude to the right place, and one might discover that things which were supposed to be top-secret were safe to share. She wasn't entirely certain, of course, and she wasn't about to go running around as she had when she'd first arrived, spewing names left and right...

...but she did want to talk to someone and in a way she was still sort of lonely.

"Well, I'll be sitting here when you wander over," she said. "Look for the woman with splinters in her butt, I'm pretty sure there still might be a few there from being tossed onto the table the other night."

All right, apparently there was plenty of room for giving grief left. She chuckled as she turned the cell off.
Ah...Southern jokes. He'd never heard those before...though it was his own fault for bringing shrimp into it, he supposed.

Ah well...I suppose that I have to tolerate this kind of ribbing since I've chosen to live in a culture where women are allowed to do silly things like vote and show skin. My own fault, really. I'll see you in a few, but I think I lost my tweezers, so sorry!

Clicking off, Alec grabbed his treated longcoat in case the weather was ugly up above...he hadn't checked yet today, but either way it was certain to be cold. Leaving a quick note for Ginnie in case she popped in between tasks, he made his way to the Strip and looked for a certain mouthy Egyptian. Parking near his favorite glass shop, he walked on down the row.
Aishe 18 years ago
Aishe stood when she saw Alec coming toward her. She waved just to be sure she wasn't overlooked, and realized for the first time that here was a person who didn't exactly tower over her like a giant. It was pretty refreshing.

"I hope you might have come up with someplace fun to go," Aishe remarked as he neared, "because I didn't really plan ahead other than sitting here and waiting."

The grin hadn't really left her face, but she supposed it could stay for the time being.
Smiling, he waved back. She seemed to be a substance-over-style type. Her fitted sweater, cargo pants and thick soled shoes all underlined her practicality over a more stylish focus. His own black top-to-bottom in this or next season's cuts were a sharp contrast, but both of them would be comfortable in any inclement weather, and that was what was important, he supposed.

Well, it looks like I am a bit more sported up for the weather, but that doesn't mean I'd relish getting caught in it. Today isn't looking so much to be a walking around day - want to hit a cafe or something similar? Or hell, there's an arcade just down the way if that's something your interested in.
Aishe 18 years ago
"Anything goes," Aishe said. "Sounds like you have this area down a bit more than I. I've wandered a fair bit, but I'm only just starting to get street names down. I haven't paid too terribly much attention to each business."

She shrugged into her jacket as the wind picked up, snapping her black hair about her face.
"I don't mind walking if you have someplace in particular in mind. It's not so cold out." Then, as an afterthought, she added, "Although maybe this is cold for you?"

She certainly didn't want him to freeze out here. It was somewhere in the 50's, she guessed... arctic for anyone too much further south from here.
Smirking between the collar edges, Alec watched as her hair whipped around.

Well, right now you're hair is a danger to the public, so regardless of my weather preferences we should really head inside before you put someone's eyes out or electrocute yourself on the wires here. ElekTRONicka has beverages as well, so you can geek out with me and get tons of attention since you'll be one of the few, if not the only woman there, more than likely. I wouldn't suggest what they pass as food given the employees there, but at least you can mix your own fountain drinks since they are too cool to work.

Gesturing with his head, Alec began walking in the general direction of ElekTRONicka.

((ooc: Alec and Aishe out to ElekTRONicka w/ permission))