Forensics

Thaddeus stepped out of the limo and onto the street, looking up and down at the scene of their all too recent battle with Lykaios. They had a long evening ahead of them of investigating the brownstone for any evidence of their departed enemy's connections, and while Thaddeus did not relish the thought of being back here, he could not help but feel a morbid curiosity for what they might find inside.

There was, however, still the risk of interruption, and so Thaddeus did not linger long in his thoughts, instead reaching out to take Alfarinn's hand.

[Ready?]

He was surprised to find, when he asked Alfarinn, that he himself was quite ready to begin. The idea of sorting through evidence and making the puzzle pieces tell a story was almost relaxing to him; it was something he was skilled at and he could detach himself from everything else going on for a short time.

Alfarinn 18 years ago

[As I'll ever be]

Alfarinn took Thaddeus's hand and headed towards the apartment. He had been rather quiet on the ride there and hoped his companion didn't mind. He wasn't sure how to feel about coming back to this place but he knew it needed to be done; they had tried over the successive nights since the death of Lykaios to put the violence behind them but that only worked so well when there was still another threat out there. He supposed in part he feared they would not find anything and yet another part of him feared that they would.

Thaddeus, it seemed was taking this part of the situation in stride, just as he had everything else. Alfarinn was amazed again at the incredible inner strength of his beloved companion. He wondered how much of that was tempered through experience but believed that Thaddeus had been much the same all his life and had weathered the difficulties with far more grace of character than most.

It was very hard to forego telling his companion that he was incredible, remarkable, and inspiring but he held his tongue and followed after Thaddeus into the building; Alfarinn would have to make it a point to mention it later.

[I'm right behind you.]
Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
Thaddeus pulled the keys out of the pocket of his jacket and unlocked the door, releasing his companion’s hand for a moment to gently push it open without making a great deal of noise. Even so, everything sounded louder than it should have once he stepped inside; the rattle of the keys as he replaced them and the sound of his footsteps seemed like a great racket and the house had an empty feel.

He walked through the foyer, still getting the lay of the land and wanting to ensure they had not walked in on anyone, unlikely as that seemed. He took out his pen and paper as he moved through the living room to the kitchen, mapping out the first floor and making notes on the margins of specific things to look into. He passed by the backpack they had left behind and felt a twinge of irritation upon remembering that his gloves were inside, but moved on for the moment.

[Shall we check out the upstairs first, and work our way down?]

He would want to go upstairs in any case to make absolutely sure they were alone and that seemed like the most efficient way to work, but it was also quite possible Alfarinn had his own approach.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn moved his released hand to Thaddeus's back as his companion opened the door. He didn't feel anyone inside but he had noticed one or two people from Evenhet outside dressed as bums or joggers in the area. It would seem they had done as Dani had asked and kept a regular eye on the place but left the inside alone.

He was thinking they should start at the back and work their way to the front again; Thaddeus it would seem was thinking the same. Seeing his companion pull out his note pad in order to get to work, Alfarinn pulled out his palm pilot to do the same. He could upload it to their laptops later and this was easier to carry from room to room.

[That works for me actually.]

Thinking about how they should best accomplish this, Alfarinn decided that he wanted to be in the same room with his companion; Thaddeus seemed to be doing far better than should be expected but he'd still feel more comfortable with them both working in the same room and since their psychometry worked differently from each other it might be helpful from time to time to clarify impressions on things.

[Shall we start with the bedroom then?]

Moving upstairs, he took a look around and then looked back at his companion.
Thaddeus gave a slight nod and started up the steps after Alfarinn, then took a last look over the banister at the living room before continuing up to his companion’s side. He opened the doors as he walked past them; first the hallway closet at the bottom of the steps, then the linen closet at the top. Then the bathroom door, and finally the bedroom.

He flicked on the light and dispassionately regarded the room for a moment. It seemed, contrary to his earlier reflections, that Lykaios did in fact sleep in an ordinary bed. There was a chest of drawers to look through along with a closet and a roll top desk. There was a wall with every kind of weapon imaginable and some he had never even conceived of besides that would need to be examined.

The bed. The closet. The desk. The drawers. The wall. He considered the wall a moment longer, experimentally, waiting for the reaction he was sure there should be. Perhaps he had simply reached his limit; he wasn’t certain.

“Well. It seems we have our work cut out for us.”

He made to start for the wall, as it seemed best to get what would surely be the worst part out of the way, and was almost relieved to find that his feet refused to move any closer for a moment. He had thought it odd that the sight in front of him didn’t disturb him as much as it probably should, but reasoned that things simply hadn’t internalized.

Calmly but slowly he approached the wall, looking at the sequence from top to bottom, left to right. Then he tried other sequences, trying to determine the subtle order of the weapons.

“I don’t think you want to touch anything on this wall.”
Alfarinn 18 years ago
[Quite]

Alfarinn looked around the room and figured they should start with the chest of drawers and then the desk and closet; the wall of weapons looked like it would be asking for too much sensory information to start with immediately. He really should not have been surprised then that his companion seemed to want to tackle that first of all.

[Not one to ease into things I see.]

He put a finger into the side of the top drawer of the chest of drawers instead of using the knob as was likely done many times before. Prying it open, Alfarinn then pulled it out and set it on the bed.

Part of him was going through the motions and the other was keeping his senses on his companion, waiting for some sign that Thaddeus was okay or not with what he had found. The words sent to him gave him pause and he stopped what he was doing to come over and stand behind Thaddeus, wrapping his arms around his companion and gazing thoughtfully at the wall.

[Truly?]

They were not ordered by type, or by age, by country of origin... Alfarinn puzzled out the wall's organization and each method seemed wrong. Age seemed to be the most accurate but here and there would be a weapon of advanced age within more modern weapons.

He reached out his hand towards the wall slowly, thoughtfully still piecing out the facts; all it would take is a touch or two to understand. Every object tells a story, has a history, has an owner...

[You're quite right.]

Alfarinn pulled his hand back and hugged Thaddeus tighter.

Trophies

They were all trophies.
Thaddeus did not completely pull his attention from the wall, though he did raise his eyebrow at his companion’s comment.

[This is the back of the room.]

That was a logical enough reason to begin here even if it was far from the only one. He returned to examining the wall, trying to decide where to begin, and listened to the sounds of Alfarinn getting started on the dresser. He sincerely didn’t want Alfarinn touching anything and was nearly exasperated when it appeared that, of course, that was the first thing his companion wished to do. He reached out his own hand, hoping for a chance to explain, but Alfarinn stopped short and held him close instead.

[You know,] he sent, dryly, [some might say we walked in on a gold mine with this.]

He sighed softly, thoughtful for a moment, before elaborating.

[How many others like me are out there, wondering who is responsible for the murder of their loved one?]

Frowning, he considered what they should do with their new source of information as he looked up at the weapons. Coming to a conclusion, he turned to his companion, slipping one arm around his waist and looking away from the wall.

[Our need is, I believe, a bit more immediate. I’ll give this a more careful look and see if there’s anything that needs to be sensed right this minute. The rest can be sorted out later.]

Not a pleasant task, to be sure, though he was willing enough to do it if it meant that more unsolved murders could at last have some sort of resolution. This was, however, not the time; even if he thought he could meticulously sense every weapon and document it (and he knew he couldn’t, not all at once), they had other things to focus on.

He stepped forward, looking at each weapon in turn. There were seals on some that he recognized but could not place, but many were unmarked and more difficult to date. Not seeing anything that registered as familiar, he took a few steps back and pulled out his phone, playing with the settings until the camera turned on.

[We might need to move these. I don’t want to lose the order.]
Alfarinn 18 years ago
The back of the room... Alfarinn shook his head and smiled, of course, that makes perfect sense but any number of organized ways of going through the room could of been done that did not involve starting with the wall of horrors. There was no point in arguing and he'd not deter Thaddeus from dealing with this in an order that suited him best.

Frowning at the mention of the other people who had loved ones murdered by the Wolf, Alfarinn nodded. If many were vampires they would likely not have any family left other than possible clan members. He wondered briefly how many of those weapons belonged to Evenhet or Anantya, people they missed but never knew what happened to. Alfarinn avoided looking too closely for the moment lest a few look all too familiar.

He watched as Thaddeus brought up his camera and took a picture, figuring that was indeed a wise idea but his partner's words were going through his mind and it seemed Thaddeus planned to take care of the weapons all on his own.

Alfarinn looked at his companion a moment longer and then came around to stand in front of him. Putting his arms on Thaddeus's shoulders he looked down at him with a smile.

"I hope you don't plan to do this alone because I absolutely will not let you."

Various times in the past when he tried to do something alone in order to spare Thaddeus some hardship or danger his beloved companion made it very clear that it was not going to happen. Now it would seem that Thaddeus planned to spare him this difficult task and take it solely upon himself, noble and caring of him, but Alfarinn did not want to see Thaddeus have to do touch these things any more than his lover wanted him to.

"We can take care of these together, besides our abilities are stronger together anyway we'd have a better chance of finding out who they belonged to."

Looking over at them and then at the bed, he added.

"I could move the drawer back in its place and we could go over them on the bed if you like."

Psychometry had a habit of being disorienting and both of them could probably use a place to sit down while they worked no matter what they started with.
Thaddeus raised one eyebrow when Alfarinn stepped in front of him, somewhat incredulous. He didn’t think his companion would want anything to do with handling the weapons and his first thought was that he didn’t want Alfarinn having to do something unpleasant. Of course he wasn’t particularly inclined to spend the day reliving…he counted up vertically and then across…roughly eighty deaths but that hadn’t been his first thought.

He realized that he must not have been thinking very carefully at all if he had believed Alfarinn would stand by while he inspected the wall, and broke into a soft smile.

“That’s not something I hear very often.”

He considered the wall a moment longer, then shook his head.

“I think our respective sensibilities are futile in any case; while these…things…do need to be looked into, we need something more immediately relevant.”

He turned back toward the bed and took a seat opposite the drawer.

“So, I concede. The drawer first, then.”

That said, he looked inside. This top drawer seemed to be the ‘catch all’ of sorts; there were a few watches, some pens, what looked like a few military awards of some sort. A deck of cards. A green felt box that might contain cufflinks or some sort of jewelry. Neckties. Belts.

Perfectly ordinary things.

He raised his eyebrows as he sighted something odd and picked up what seemed to be a nylon cord between gloved fingers. From the end hung a device about the size of his thumb, made of plastic and colored dark purple on one end and black on the other.

He read the white print on the side, giving Alfarinn a questioning look.

“Linksys.”

/ooc lookie what Taddy found http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/search/search__cat_id--410,prod_id--11205159.html
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn grinned boyishly at Thaddeus and tucked a strand of hair behind his ear and said lightly

"Well get used to it. I'm going to look out for you whether you like it or not besides I think you have the bigger task in looking out for me."

He kissed his companion gently on the forehead and waited for his decision on the wall. Nodding in understanding and agreement at the fact that they weren't likely to find anything about the second accomplice and therefore anything of use to them at present in what seemed to be a display of trophies, Alfarinn joined Thaddeus on the bed and watched him fish through the drawer.

He mused that he really should have brought gloves for his hands this time as well as Thaddeus pushed things aside noting the items that were inside. Touching everything in here was going to be distracting at best and horrifying at worst.

Thaddeus picked up the small device and looked at him in question. Curious, so Lykaios just -looked- like a scruffy savage. This could prove to be very informative.

"It is a flash drive. You can plug it into your computer and download information on to it and then transfer it to another computer or device that accepts them."

Looking thoughtfully at it a moment, he sighed.

"That's interesting, I wonder what information he has stored on it and that suggests he has a computer around here somewhere. We should probably take that back to Meridian and let some of the programmers pull the information off of it because he's likely got it passworded... unless."

Alfarinn ran a hand through his hair absently as he thought.

"One or both of us might be able to pick up his password by touching the keyboard. It is, after all, a thing of significance that he would type repeatedly."

The whole thought of the computer and the possible large amounts of information Lykaios might have stored there intrigued him but he turned resolutely back to the drawer.

"I suppose we should finish what we started first."
Thaddeus nodded at Alfarinn’s explanation and set the flash drive aside as he considered his companion’s technique for obtaining the password. He was, not for the first time, quite grateful for Evenhet’s involvement, as their expertise would once again prove helpful. It wasn’t hard to imagine how useful a computer might be to one in Lykaios’s line of work, considering the little machines seemed to be something of a modern necessity for anyone these days; this was just more proof that Thaddeus was behind the times, if even Ancient hired killers were using the things. Still, he wondered at the specifics and hoped this would prove to be a solid source of information.

“I tried something similar on a piano a few times…the way my sense works, you would think it would be ideal for such a thing. In any case, keystrokes ought to be a more simple matter; I doubt we’ll need to type the password in the exact way Lykaios did, so long as we get the correct keys in the correct order and quantity.”

He smiled ruefully, remembering, and shook his head. His efforts that time had proved somewhat disappointing though he would admit that the opportunity to sense a truly talented musician’s piano was an interesting one in and of itself.

“It wasn’t a very successful attempt but that was twenty odd years ago. Perhaps I’ve improved and together we should have better luck.”

When Alfarinn brought his attention back to the drawer he nodded his head and made to reach in for the next item, but stopped himself before going any further and looked up at his companion.

“I don’t know where my mind is; I hope the right is okay?”

As he spoke, he pulled off his right glove, leaving him with a hand to sense and a hand to search. He set the extra glove down for Alfarinn to take and went back to the drawer. Taking the green box in his left hand, he flipped it open and regarded the contents curiously for a moment before turning it for his companion to see. Inside, there was a surprisingly large key, somewhat worn with age. It didn’t appear to match the desk or the chest of drawers, though he supposed he could be mistaken. In any case, having learned his lesson, he looked to Alfarinn.

“Together then?”
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn listened to Thaddeus's story with a grin, not at all surprised that his companion would seek to learn from some of the master's of the past in such a way. He had certainly put his own hands on whatever artifacts he could find that were from people and places that interested him.

"I would imagine it would be hard to sense and play at the same time. It is a shame that our abilities cannot yet be recorded exactly how we feel and see them."

He had thought it a pity in the past that other people could not view the wealth of information that items gave him and others like him. Perhaps valuable pieces of history would not have been treated with the callousness that they had been in the past. Torn apart and sold to the highest bidder. Meridian dealt in artifacts but there was a certain ethical code that he felt they worked by which saw to it that the pieces were sold to those that would appreciate and preserve the history, rather than people who would grind up mummies for some charlatan's cure for illness or melt down gold for 'authentic' good luck charms.

"I am sure together we'll find something of use."

What exactly they would find, was up in the air but this was the portion of the job that he loved, the searching and the finding and then piecing together all the clues and fitting them together to have an accurate scene of a person, place or event.

Looking over at Thaddeus in confusion at his odd statement, Alfarinn's expression softened into a smile at his companion.

"That would be marvelous, thank you."

Alfarinn reached out and caught up Thaddeus's newly ungloved right hand and brought it to his lips, brushing a kiss softly across the pale knuckles before letting his lover's hand go with a smile.

"Always so thoughtful."

Putting on the warm leather glove, his expression took on a look of absent pleasure as the images of his companion's hands filtered through his mind as he fitted the leather in place. It seemed to have so much life in it, to be suffused by some glowing extra quality by simply being in contact with Thaddeus. He was, he understood, biased but Alfarinn again pondered the benefits of his abilities when it came to these small vicarious experiences of his love.

"Absolutely"

He reached his left hand out palm upward for Thaddeus to drop the key into. Thaddeus could then cover the hand with his own and they could sense the object together.
Thaddeus raised his eyebrows and considered his companion’s remark, finding the idea of sharing what psychometry showed him both compelling and worrisome. His sensing was something deeply personal to him and the thought of anyone being able to see what he considered to be an inner working of his mind was somewhat unnerving. He could not, however, deny just how useful that would be.

[Yet? That is interesting, I wonder how such a thing could be possible.]

He wondered if psychometric senses could be relayed through the bond; in his and Alfarinn’s case, it wasn’t really necessary as they both had the ability. But he had thought, at times, he was able to pick up traces of his companion’s empathy…or Alfarinn’s own reactions to other people’s feelings; it was somewhat difficult to determine. If that were the case, though, what else could their two minds share?

He looked down, blushing, as Alfarinn kissed his hand. It seemed his companion had taken what he thought of as a perfectly reasonable gesture and interpreted it as something more deeply thoughtful. For once, though, he wasn’t inclined to argue, realizing that giving up one of his gloves wasn’t something that would occur to him at all with anyone else, but such things were just second nature when it came to Alfarinn.

[It’s no trouble, love.]

Aware that his mind had wandered quite badly off topic, he shook his head and tried to explain.

[I just realized; we haven’t sensed anything together since we were bonded.]

Now was, however, as good a time as any to see what would happen. He picked up the key in his gloved hand and dropped it carefully into Alfarinn’s bare one, then paused for a moment to let his companion adjust before placing his other hand over the key and closing his eyes.

Calloused fingers ran over the surface of the key, inspecting its edge…a feeling of smugness, pride, overlaying an intense bitterness…a snap as a bolt slid home…a wave of anxiety, a sense of urgency…the hand again, gripping the key tight in one fist before the key was presumably placed in the box…

Thaddeus opened his eyes for a moment, processing, then closed them again, reaching in his mind to see what Alfarinn might be seeing and to attempt to glean more information.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn shrugged; new inventions were Zone's specialty not his.

[Well these days they could record that you are having a dream but not the dream itself. If there were a way for a machine to process the messages that say the eyes send to the brain or that the brain generates on its own then there might be a way to share what you remember just as you would a home video. Which would have its good points and bad points. I am sure there is some way to abuse such a development as well as ways for it to be a huge benefit.]

He shuddered at the thought of people implanting cameras or other devices inside them but figured it was only a matter of time. In fact it was likely that some of that was already done. Children were now being injected with LoJack devices in case they were kidnaped or ran away from home. Such were the times and it wouldn't be long before anyone would be able to be located anywhere, cars with GPS systems tell the where abouts of their owners while providing a useful service, it still meant that a person's movements could be tracked. MARI did not bother him because he knew who she worked for, what clan she belonged to, but it was only a matter of time before the entire nation was one large looking glass.

Thaddeus had brought him back to himself from all his wayward thoughts and replaced those with far better ones.

[No, we haven't. I would imagine it should be easier and... clearer?]

Thaddeus put the key in his hand and Alfarinn closed his eyes as the visions came to him. They were overlaid neatly by Thaddeus's feelings to get a larger view than either of them could have gotten alone.

He saw rough hands picking up a green box with the attached key from a shelf. It was a metal fireproof storage box. One of the oldest of its kind by the look of the style but in the image it was shiny new.

The key locked the box and was gripped tightly ,the knuckles of the hand white with tension, before the key was put away.

Blinking as the images slowed and stopped, Alfarinn looked up and smiled at Thaddeus.

"So there is a box and there is something that Lykaios valued enough to lock up and, from your impressions of it, valued enough to be worried over.. and bitter? Interesting, don't you think?"

He leaned his head on Thaddeus's shoulder and looked down at the key that he held up between his thumb and forefinger, waving it absently in time with his words as he continued to think.

"What would he value that much and still have? Something from his human past perhaps and that might explain the bitterness if he kept these treasures and felt robbed of what they represented."

Sighing, Alfarinn thought it was a shame that Lykaios had not been able to see being immortal as the gift Emma had given him, as she so obviously intended it to be. No doubt such bitterness towards Emma was awkward for Thaddeus without him dwelling on it as well. Alfarinn found himself quite baffled that anyone at all could despise Emma that much but then senses from Sorin rose into his mind and how much the man hated them both and coveted that place in the Triad. Yes, one or two people in the world could hate even such a soul as Emma.

Bringing his thoughts back to the key and the box; it was his childish curiosity that wanted to leave off their organized method of searching through things to go hunt for this mysterious treasure. Alfarinn kept his thoughts if not his anticipation to himself on the matter, letting Thaddeus decide whether they should be disciplined or adventurous.
Thaddeus pulled back as he felt their sensing come to a close, for a moment so pleased at how well their efforts had gone that he was oblivious to all else. Alfarinn’s visuals in combination with his own sensing seemed to come together to make something greater than the sum of its parts. He smiled softly, thinking that sentiment was true of many aspects of the two of them.

Alfarinn, on the other hand, had quickly moved to thinking out loud, and Thaddeus switched gears to thinking of possible answers to his companion’s semi-rhetorical questions.

“Interesting indeed, though I suppose it shouldn’t be surprising. Lykaios seemed…fond of tangible memories.”

That was a kind way of phrasing Thaddeus’s inner thoughts: that his brother, of sorts, was a sick twisted person who enjoyed keeping trophies from whatever atrocity he committed. Even that assessment seemed too kind, but he felt it served no one to continue in that vein.

He considered Alfarinn’s theory, nodding his head and frowning.

“That does seem likely, especially considering he hid whatever was in that box away rather than displaying it.” He made a vague gesture toward the wall as he spoke, to illustrate his point. “Something more personal to him, perhaps. Something he felt compelled to keep but couldn’t bear to look at.” He frowned at those last words, feeling they didn’t quite fit. “But…he felt smug as well. Pleased with himself. Something doesn’t add up.”

As Alfarinn’s head was quite comfortably resting on his shoulder, he resisted the urge to stand up and pace in thought.

“Well, I suppose there’s only one way to find out for certain.”

He carefully replaced the key inside the green box, though he set it on top of the bed, beside the flash drive, rather than inside the drawer.

“Is there anything else in the drawer you think we should look into further? I’m inclined to carry out this little thread we’ve found.”
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn nodded slightly from his place on Thaddeus's shoulder that he did agree with that assessment of Lykaios's character. He continued his own thinking on the matter and listening to his companion's statements as well. Thaddeus was right the smugness did not fit a personality that would display the rest of these things with such care.

Why hide it?

Alfarinn sat up straight again.

"Someone knows about whatever is in that box. These." He pointed to the weapons. "belong to people he knew would never come looking for them again but whatever is in that box someone alive wants. Perhaps he stole something from someone? That would explain the smugness but if the thing was so wanted why didn't he use it? What would you take and then hide? "

He didn't think Lykaios was normally a thief, oddly that seemed against the strange code of ethics that the man had. A code of conduct was hardly a redeeming quality as many pathological killers had a certain way "the game" worked in their mind and they rarely deviated from their set ways. Like this one might only kill a certain way or certain victims or others might have a whole complex list of things that they worked by. He wondered if Lykaios was one of those insane killers that thought his victims deserved to die for whatever reason his demented mind had conjured or if he understood that there was no appointment of him as judge and his victims were simply unlucky souls that managed to somehow draw his attention.

Pulling himself away from that thinking which did nothing to solve the problem but simply added the question of whether or not Lykaios would stoop to stealing to the list of unsolved mysteries, Alfarinn pondered what the man would have likely stole.

He looked at Thaddeus a moment; sometimes he felt like Thaddeus was stolen from Emma by Fate and placed in his path by the same hand. It made him sad to think of how happy Thaddeus would have made Emma and vice versa and yet they did not get the chance; though it would have changed his own fate and for that he was not sorry but such thoughts caused him guilt. He had to believe that what had happened had a purpose or a point and he did believe that Emma would have wanted to see them both happy and would have been pleased with their being together and supporting each other.

"It could be" Alfarinn's voice was quiet, he felt the thought needed to continue but at the same time he did not want to give Thaddeus the hope of something and then it be a disappointment.
"well, we know how much Lykaios wanted the ring... what if this other thing had been Emma's? "

As soon as he said it, he wished he had not because he realized that it made no sense and was perhaps his own wishful thinking of the possibility of something good coming out of this.

"He would have had no reason to hide it then. I'm sorry."

Alfarinn put his head back down and became quiet, fervently wishing he had kept his rambling internal though he normally was quite happy that they both seemed to be able to discuss things so openly.

Thaddeus decided to pursue the quest for the box instead of the drawer so Alfarinn got off the bed and headed to the closet. Checking the high shelves that he could see better than his companion, he turned and asked.

"Where do you think he'd keep it?"
Thaddeus tilted his head, listening to Alfarinn’s theories, and chewed on his lower lip in thought as his companion fell quiet.

“It would make sense, actually, to steal it and hide it away if it were an object like…well, like the ring. Something only useful to the rightful owner.”

It was a long moment before Alfarinn spoke again. The words didn’t register in the logical sense right away, as his companion’s manner of speaking brought about another understanding that was somehow more poignant.

He kissed the top of Alfarinn’s head.

“It’s okay. She was your friend too.”

Putting his arm around Alfarinn’s shoulders, he leaned against his lover for a long moment, before pulling back again.

“I don’t know if you’re right or not, but I can think of a few reasons he would feel the need to hide something of Emma’s.” He smiled lightly. “You. And me. And Anantya. The people that cared about her. He might have known in some part of his mind that we would not let the matter rest.”

Thaddeus slid off the bed, still somewhat wrapped in his thoughts, and knelt down on the floor. He lifted the covers off one side and bent low to look under the bed, kicking up a sheet of dust. Seeing nothing, he pulled back, crinkling his nose to prevent a sneeze, and shaking the dust out of his hair.

“Not there.”

He joined Alfarinn at the closet and began picking up tall boots with his gloved hand, moving them out of the way to better inspect the floor of the closet.

“I suppose he could have kept it anywhere with sufficient space. If he truly was hiding something and not merely storing it in a safe location, I somehow can’t imagine him not concealing it well.”

Continuing with his task of clearing the closet, he picked up an empty duffle bag and shook it experimentally before determining it was empty. Turning it around to get a better look, he noticed a bright pink luggage tag still attached.

[It would seem he gets around.]

That said, he placed the bag on the bed to examine more closely a bit later.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
"It was probably wishful thinking on my part I suppose. You're right, she was my friend too and such a wonderful woman. I wish there was more of a legacy, I suppose, but in truth I think she would be most proud of the living one that she has in you and that is what matters most. We were changed for the better for having known Emma and it is carried on in our lives and memories."

He smiled at the kiss and the comforting arm around him. They had things to be doing and really, there was no need to dwell on something that could not be changed and which, when looked at objectively, was not something he should feel guilty over.

Watching Thaddeus lean down and check underneath the bed cleared away the last of his melancholy; his companion was somehow simply irresistible even with dust in his hair.

"I don't know how you manage that..."

Alfarinn muttered to himself with a smile.

There was no lock box in the top of the closet, though to be honest he had not expected it to be so easy. Thaddeus had cleared out the bottom and Alfarinn stepped fully inside and ran his left hand over the walls and then knelt down to run them over the floor in case Lykaios had hid the box underneath.

Feet, a child's light steps, there was the small click click of a girl's dress shoes. He could see her then, crouched low on the bare floor with the door open just a crack. Another larger set of shoes made their impression on the floor, a man's dress shoes. There was sadness there and from the girl even a bit of fear.

Shaking his head and clearing it of the old memories, he doubted those were from any time that Lykaios had been occupying the place. The closet had been bare which seemed significant in a way he could not be certain of. The little girl did not seem to be afraid of the man but of some unknown fate. The more empathic senses through psychometry were more difficult for him to determine but it seemed to bare no relevance on their current situation. Sighing and wondering for a moment longer if things turned out for the better for the little girl, Alfarinn returned to the task at hand.

The closet was now clear, he began setting the boots and other things from the floor back into the closet, pausing on each one to see if anything was of use.

The first reaction to his companion's words were a morbid technicality that really did not bare uttering.

'Not anymore'

Instead, Alfarinn blinked and nodded, walking over to see if there was anything of interest in the duffel bag before going through the things he had brought down from the top of the closet.

[Anything?]
Thaddeus shook his head slightly when Alfarinn asked about the duffel bag, considering it was empty and not likely to be of much use. Even so, he took a closer look at the baggage tag just to satisfy his curiosity. He likely would have never recognized the name if he had not taken a trip or three in that direction himself.

“I wonder what he might have wanted in London.” He wondered if The Wolf’s search for him had taken the killer across the ocean, but decided there wasn’t really enough data on the matter either way. Of course, this could also be a clue as to the location of the accomplice; while if his stolen gloves were any indication, the individual was or had been in Nachton, there was nothing to say he lived nearby.

Or she.

Theories against Sorin notwithstanding.

Sighing, he took the tag in his bare hand, running his thumb over the clearly printed “BAA Heathrow” on the bright pink surface. His senses were not particularly helpful; a woman briskly snapping the tag on the shoulder strap was the only image, and the general sense that the bag had been shuffled around a bit.

Even so, he was curious and decided to keep the bag out in any case.

“It probably isn’t relevant…just feels like something to look into. What about you?”

He peered into the now empty closet, frowning, then wandered over to the air vent on the wall.

“I suppose that box could be anywhere, really, though I just have a feeling it’s in the house somewhere.” He pinched down on the metal fasteners that held the vent in place to release it. “Listen to me, talking about ‘having feelings’.” He pulled back the vent and removed the air filter, scowling as more dust made its way into the room. “Honestly. I suppose this is what I get for wearing black today. In any case…” He felt around in the empty space provided, then stood up. “…I’m…rambling.”

Blushing at the realization, he occupied himself with closing up the vent once more. He was usually much more calm and dignified when doing such things, though with Alfarinn there wasn’t the same need for the business like exterior. Even so, that did not mean he ought to chatter on when there was work to be done.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
"Hmm, that might be hard to tell, perhaps his computer will hold more evidence to help us out. It there a date stamp on the luggage tag?"

Alfarinn pondered the rest of the room as Thaddeus continued his own thoughts. Kneeling on the floor now outside the closet he continued sweeping his hand slowly across its surface, his eyes closed to better see the mental images.

"There was nothing in the closet except for an odd image of a little girl hiding in there from what seemed to be her father. I'm not sure why she was hiding but she seemed sad. I think though that this happened before Lykaios because there did not seem to be anything in the closet in the image... and I can't imagine anyone voluntarily going into his place while he or his wolves were around."

Continuing to crawl further along the floor as he touched it with his bare hand, Alfarinn took the time to reflect on just how 'uncool' this had to look, a tall man crawling about on the hardwood, sweeping his hand in front of him with his eyes closed like some giant blind bug. It was a good thing Thaddeus was already in love with him because he doubted this maneuver would win him any dates otherwise.

"Ramble away, Beloved, it helps to think out loud and your ideas are always of interest to me. In this case, I also believe you're right. From what we know of this man, he was a lone killer. He never joined a clan, hated his own kind and spent centuries hunting them down. That doesn't lend itself to having a whole lot of trust in anything or anyone which makes me believe that if this thing was as important as your impressions from the key suggested that they were then he'd have wanted to keep it close. It is in this house somewhere."

Because the box was too big to carry around with him and this was the place Lykaios called home.

"The question would be would he put it somewhere he could easily get to it for reassurance or would he put it somewhere difficult to get to and where no one would think to look? He was confident, I think and that might make him not feel the need to pull it out and make sure it was still there very often but he also might like to gloat over it. What do you think?"

Alfarinn realized he was rambling as well but he was finding that he rather enjoyed talking this mystery out with Thaddeus instead of talking to himself or simply having the thoughts run about in his head for him to piece out on his own. It was rare that he did his field investigations with someone else; sometimes he brought things back for Kem and Theo to sense and sometimes Artemis or Kem would go with him but was not a common practice.

Sitting back up, he said.

"We're going to have to move the bed."
Thaddeus shook his head as he turned the tag over, though he raised his eyebrow at the information printed on the other side.

“It seems, however, that Lykaios had an alias.”

He rolled his eyes, disdainful.

“John Wolfe. How original.”

He couldn’t help but smile lightly, though, when he turned to see his companion investigating the closet. The behavior made perfect sense to Thaddeus but he could see how other people might find it somewhat mystifying, eccentric even. Two crazy men feeling around a killer’s home, searching for clues. He decided that the two of them made investigation look artistic, though the subject matter rather detracted from the beauty of it. Even so, there was a morbid sort of draw to the art of discovering information.

Tilting his head, he considered Alfarinn’s question, trying to choose his words carefully while thinking out loud.

“I think Lykaios tended to consider things by extremes. If he had wanted to gloat over it he would have left it out; he wanted to conceal it. I think he would have made it as difficult to recover as possible.”

Nodding his head, he walked to the far side of the bed, still critiquing his own line of thought. A vampire who held a grudge for three hundred years…no, longer than that. Since he was made. In any case, a person so willing to cling to that hatred just didn’t seem like the type who would take a half measure unless it was a very clear means to an end. Even the wall had a purpose, and it was somewhat eerie to Thaddeus, that he could understand the point of keeping the weapons.

It meant the job was finished. It was a checklist of sorts, a clear accounting of accomplishments. Closure. He could imagine The Wolf not considering his work done until the latest trophy had been put on display.

Of course, it was possible he was dead wrong on all of that. Lykaios could very well simply be a twisted individual who liked that sort of thing. He wasn’t sure why The Wolf’s motives would feel so clear in his mind in any case.

Well, he had an idea of why…but it wasn’t something he wanted to explore.

“Where do you want it?”