Smelling of juniper... - private

Follows from the Library - Occult Section

The wind blew a fine dusting of snow on top of them as they walked along the shore hills near the waterfront. They were across the inlet with a beautiful view of the marina and its lights. The wind made it chilly but not freezing cold. The snow had yet to really fall in Nachton, but winter was settling in.

Simon looked over at Carol as she walked with her hands in her jacket pockets. She had changed into soft yellow, fleece lined jacket that draped down to her mid thigh. Her hair was tied in a loose braid and she looked off into the ocean as they walked up the hillside. She almost seemed to bend in the breeze, swaying as they passed the shore junipers that colored the landscape deep green and purple.

[Hey], he softly called out. [Over here.] He was at the foot of several flights of worn wooden steps. Holding out his hand to her, she nodded for her to follow.

Carol 18 years ago
In the darkness, she saw Simon standing by stairs that led up the side of a huge hill that was covered by junipers. The fragrance was amazing and it seemingly softened the evening chill. Taking his hand, she followed him up the several flight of stairs. At the very top, her breath was taken away by what she saw.

Tucked back in the hillside trees was a white cape cod styled house. It wasn't something you could see from the road and she had no idea it was there. It was softly illuminated by outside porch lights. She wondered if it was as captivating during the day as it was during the night. The grounds were manicured, but the path was slightly overgrown, giving the house its charm.

'My...god,' she whispered out loud. She held his hand as they walked up the path to the front porch. The smell of roses and junipers was overwhelming as they ascended the steps. The rose branches had grown wild and they climbed the railing along the large porch that could hold a dozen people easily. Suddenly the front door rattled, causing Carol to take a step back.
Simon Huntington 18 years ago
He had forgotten about this property. Located about 20 miles outside of Nachton, it was settled on the opposite side of the bay with a view of the marina lights and the uptown district.

It was a two story, cape cod style house set back in dozens of weeping willow trees which provides excellent shade and coverage from the hillside winds. The white with blue trimmed house had been in the family for about 75 years but had been long forgotten by Ellis and the reach of Tacharan. None of the Huntingtons had occupied the house in the past several decades, but had been kept up as more of an after thought.

He followed her, watching her expression. He unconsciously smiled at her awe inspired words. The door rattled and he laughed.

'Sorry,' he opened the door and a black lab, husky mix dog came bouncing out. 'This is Shadow, she's the grounds keeper's dog.' The dog jumped up and put her paws on Simon's chest. He dug his fingers into her fur and scratched her vigorously. Then she barked several times, sitting back down and looked at Carol, waiting for her to commence with the petting.
Carol 18 years ago
'Awww!' Carol squealed with delight as the dog bounced out the front door and onto Simon. 'She's beautiful!' Shadow sat and looked at Carol, her mouth opened in a semi-smile, tongue wagging.

She bent over and gave the dog a proper hello with tons of giggling and scratches behind the dog's ear.
'Oh my god, she has one white paw. HOW CUTE IS THAT?' She finished giving the dog proper loving and reached for the front door again.

[Can we go inside?]

Simon nodded and held the door open wide for her.

Carol stepped in, wiping her feet unconsciously on the foyer carpet mat and looked for a light. Running her hand along the side wall, she found it and the light flooded the entire front part of the house.

There was a hug spiral staircase leading to the second floor in front of her and the foyer opened up on both sides. Choosing to go right, she stepped down into what looked like the formal living room. On the opposite side were steps leading up to another larger room and standing in the doorway was Marthinus.

'Marthinus!' She smiled and walked over to him. He met her on the steps and gave her a kiss on the cheek while Shadow bounced around the living room.
Marthinus T. Steyn 18 years ago
'Hello, Carol.' He smiled warmly at the couple and then addressed Simon. 'It's all finished. The fridge is stocked and the maid will be back every other day to keep the place up and running if you should ever need it.'

Marthinus looked around the house and smiled. 'I never got the chance to spend any time here, it's good to know it will be useful again.'

He put a hand on Simon's arm and walked passed them, to the front entrance. With a final look, Marthinus said over his shoulder, 'And yes, Carol. I believe you.'

With that, he closed the door quietly behind him.

((ooc - Marty out. Reference to Family Curse))
Simon nodded quietly at Marthinus as he passed him. He slipped his hands into his pockets and watched him leave. Then he turned back and looked at Carol who was beaming at him. He chewed on his bottom lip as he approached her.

'I figure,' he looked up at the ceiling and the over head loft, 'this could be some place where we could get away from the city and the clan. Somewhere we can,' he shrugged, 'talk and be alone.' He added quickly, 'If you wanted, of course.'

Simon stood at the bottom step while she stood on the top. It gave her just enough height for him to look at her eye level.
'But just to talk, now. I don't want you offending my delicate sensibilities.'
Carol 18 years ago
'HAHA!' She laughed and threw her arms around his neck, pulling him close. 'Right, I don't want you touching me, you filthy man.' She cupped his face and kissed him softly. This time when they finally disengaged, she walked off through the doorway Marthinus had been standing in.

It led into the kitchen and dining room. She stopped and her mouth opened in awe.
'God dang, this is huge.' The living room was nothing compared to the kitchen. It was the size of her first apartment easy. It had a large stove island with a sink, surrounded by more counter tops, pots and pans, a walk in pantry in the corner and a fridge that would give a cadillac trunk a run for its money in space.

'I'm thinking I should learn how to cook...' Carol said squinting at the foreign utensils.
'Well,' he said with his hands in his pockets again, 'I can cook.' And he could. Fourteen hundred years, you're bound to learn how to make a decent omelette. He half turned and gestured with his elbow. 'There's a back deck and a garden. I'd like to show you that, but,' he hooked a thumb over his shoulder,' the stairs go up to the second floor.'

Carol raised her eyebrows.

'There's a bedroom loft.'

He almost didn't catch her when she jumped on him.
Carol 18 years ago
The impulse to jump on him was sudden and intense. She took two steps and hopped up into his arms. He murmured a 'whoa' and caught her in the craddle position. One arm holding the legs, the other supporting her back.

'Ok, you can show me the loft, but only if you carry me up the stairs!' She brushed a bit of hair out of her eyes and gave him a huge smile. 'Then you can show me the garden since we're behaving.'

The house was warm and inviting with the taupe and earthy colors. The kitchen appliances were stainless steel, but the countertops were a light colored granite. The stairs Simon had just been talking about were on the otherside of the breakfast nook, which is where she leapt onto him.

Apparently agreeing with her ultimatum, he carried her slowly upstairs. The second floor had a large sitting room, two bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The master suite was connected to the overhead loft. The house itself look small compared to the actual floor plan.

Carol was floored when she saw the king sized poster bed with curtains. It required a three step stool for her to be able to climb in, but Simon gently set her down on the bed.

'So Ellis has never seen this place? Oh of course not, it's not covered in red and black.' She snorted softly.
Simon chuckled, 'No, she never took an interest in it and I never brought it up.' He walked to the far side of the room to the soft mauve colored curtains that were covered with red tulip petals.

'You'll have to take Marthinus' word for it that this is beautiful during the day.' He pushed opened the curtains, revealing a fifteen foot wide glass balcony with french double doors. The windowed wall was centered on the west facing side of the house. He opened the doors and let the cool air in.

He stepped out onto the balcony and again held his hand out to Carol. She slipped off the bed and followed him out. Looking over the railing, Simon pointed.
'There's the garden.'
Carol 18 years ago
Carol reached out and took Simon's hand and stood next to him against the railing. What she saw when she looked over made her lose her breath.

'That's no garden....'

She had never seen anything so beautiful. About half an acre of land was enclosed by ten feet high shrubbery that was accented by softly illuminated chinese paper lamps, all the color of lavender. Inside the garden itself was a winding path that led from the backyard porch, down the hill, passed the hedges into the dark hills beyond. What made her gasp were the delicate young willow trees and purple junipers that hugged the path and topped on grassy knolls. Each willow tree had soft, firefly like lights wrapped around their branches and hanging down their leaves. And in the deepest darkness of night, the good lord saw fit to have it start snowing softly.

The effect was nothing short of magical.

Carol squeezed her eyes shut and felt the tears well up inside her. There were no words for the beauty of what Simon was showing her. The best Carol could muster up to finish her sentence was, 'This is heaven.'
Simon pushed her blonde hair back behind her right ear as she turned her to face him.

'You can't see if you close your eyes,' he said softly, pulling her face closer to his and kissing her softly. He parted her lips with his tongue and dipped it softly into her mouth, grazing her's. The kiss immediately turned deep and his hand reached up into her hair, grabbing a handful of it.

He hoped she didn't think he had brought her here to buy her affections with a beautiful house. Inwardly he winced, he knew she didn't think that. He felt he knew her enough to know that. She put her hands on his chest as he pulled her into an embrace and she returned his kiss with as much aggression that he put into it.

He hadn't considered what Ellis would do if she found this place or them in it, he was beyond that now. The more time he spent with Carol, the more he felt their bond strengthen. He turned her towards the door and backed her into the bedroom, pulling the doors closed behind them.

((OOC - Carol and Simon out for some needed horizontal hucklebucking))