Forbidden ground.

Simon stood in front of the twin Evenhet towers in awe. He actually never stopped in front of the buildings and looked up. 'That is high.' He ran his tongue over his still chapped lips and looked around. The street was clean and very quiet. The Evenhet Towers were as sterile as he thought they'd be, but regardless of clan tastes, they were magnificant to behold.

Simon walked in the main lobby and looked around. It was completely void of life, save for tranquil looking plants. It had a very futuristic feel and it reminded him of the Domicile. Maybe the clans were not that far apart. Still, it made him feel as if he underdressed and that was saying a lot for Simon and his tastes. He was wearing black slacks, dress shoes and a cashmere pull over. His three quarter leather trench coat was open, straps hanging at the side. He walked further in and looked for a phone or some sort of intercom to speak to someone.

He cleared his throat and said,
'Hello?'

MARI 18 years ago
MARI scanned the image of the man standing in the lobby into her database. Interesting, he came back as Simon Huntington known second in command of the rogue faction that called themselves Tacharan.

She alerted Alfarinn to his presence via cellphone and then made an appearance on the wall nearest the new arrival.

"Greetings Mr Huntington. Welcome to Meridian Apex Enterprises. How may we be of assistance?"
Simon Huntington 18 years ago
Simon turned and looked towards the voice. He caught a glimpse of his face in the reflection of the panel that a very good looking woman was talking to him through. His skin was still chapped but healing quickly now that he had fed. Alfarinn would notice and ask but that was part of why he was here.

'Hello.' He looked around and then back at the computer panel. Of course it would know him, their database had the same information, but they didn't have the talking interface. He'd have to talk to Duibne about that. 'Yes, I was hoping to speak to Alfarinn? Is he...at home?'

He was amazed at how sheepish the computer made him feel. He might have well asked if Alfie could come out and play. He mentally rolled his eyes.
MARI 18 years ago
MARI made of a note of his request though it was not surprising that he would want to see one of the leaders of Evenhet. There was a high probability that this was his purpose.

"Alfarinn has been contacted and he said that he will arrive shortly. He has asked me to show you to his quarters. If that would be acceptable to you then I can light you a path to them."

In demonstration, the green marble tiles in front of him glowed with an amber light heading towards the elevators.
Simon watched as the floor lit up towards the elevators. The elevator would've been his first guess, but the lights always help. He grinned and walked towards the elevator.

As he walked, he decided to see just how interactive the interface was.
'I have to say, I'm very impressed with the clan's use of technology here. I wonder though, did they give you a name?'
MARI 18 years ago
MARI continued to monitor the progress of Simon to the elevator and then displayed herself on one of the panels there.

"It is the nature of your species to name things that have some form of personality. I am called MARI, Meridian Artificial Regulatory Intelligence. I find that it is helpful however, as "hey you" is not specific enough for most purposes."
Simon chuckled and entered the elevator. 'Oh I don't know, Mari. 'Hey you' is pretty flattering.' The doors slid quietly closed and they ascended. 'Going up,' Simon mumbled.

He wondered if he would be allowed to see Alfarinn and honestly this was easier than he thought it would be. He thought for sure there'd be a floor panel with his lips on it by now, guns pointed at him and someone snapping on a latex glove. He appreciated the relationship he had with Alfarinn and wondered why he waited so long to stop by and say hi.

Oh, that's right, he hadn't planned on killing his maker, taking her clan, her familiar and human business. That just sort of popped up. He prayed Alfarinn had a full bar.
Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
Thaddeus stepped out of the limo and offered Alfarinn his hand, looking up and down the street as they exited. It didn’t do to let one’s guard down, after all, especially now. They had managed to kill the less subtle of the dangers, and while The Wolf was dangerous enough there was a predictability to someone who wanted to personally see you dead. Not so with the accomplice.

Then there were the complicating factors Simon brought to the table. Well, to be fair, it could be said that it was Ellis who really made things complicated; Simon was trying to set things to right, after all. Even so he couldn’t help but wonder what new shocks might await the two of them inside.

Thaddeus shook his head, dismissing that thought. He would likely do well to remember that Alfarinn was an Elder and an Ancient and he was not; whatever business the Tacharan and the Evenhet had to discuss might not be meant for his ears. Thinking to give his companion a tactful way of getting rid of him without making either party uncomfortable, he sent:

[Perhaps while we are here I should get another of those shirts.]

That said, he approached the doors and held one open for Alfarinn.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled at Thaddeus and headed into the building. It would seem that Simon and come to Evenhet and that was odd. Considering the circumstances he had to wonder what new problem had arisen, had Ellis survived and had the beast? Had she found out Simon's intentions and now the Tacharan second in command needed asylum?

These thoughts were going through his head and taking up most of his focus, so much so that he almost didn't understand what Thaddeus said.

[Mmmm? Oh, I don't think that will be necessary. Let's see what Simon wants to talk about first. It is quite likely that it involves the situation with Ellis and you have as much right to know what is going on there as I do.]

Taking Thaddeus's hand, he headed to the elevator and asked for the top floor.

[And quite honestly, I like you beside me. So shall we find out what this is about?]
MARI 18 years ago
MARI considered his words for a moment...or well actaully little more than a second but she was doing plenty of other things as well.

"I would say you are correct if you consider it flattering to be spoken to at all. "

"We are here. I have unlocked the door for you per Alfarinn's request. He also said for me to mention that you should make yourself comfortable."
Simon stepped off the elevator. 'Thank you, Mari.' He headed down the hallway towards the door. He opened the door and slowly entered. He had to say, Alfarinn had taste. He resisted the urge to look around but instead, walked further into what he assumed was the living room.

'My...word,' he replied in an awed voice. Simon looked to his right and saw his kitchen area. In front of him were the clear panel glass windows. The view was spectacular. He walked to the windows and looked down. Why in god's name would anyone want to leave? He shook his head slightly and approached one of the white sofa chairs. Simon decided to stand, for fear of dirtying the furniture. He gave an exaggerated blink and stuck his hands in his pocket, waiting for Alfarinn to arrive.
[Fair enough.]

Thaddeus could hardly help but smile inwardly at his companion’s response; it seemed Alfarinn had picked up on his attempt at subtlety. He didn’t particularly mind being so transparent when it came to Alfarinn, though, and was content with his lover’s answer.

[Let’s.]

The elevator went up to the top in relative quiet, and he recalled the past two rides they had taken. Deciding that he had best keep up with tradition, he stood on the tips of his toes and gently kissed Alfarinn on the cheek. Perhaps not the most grand passionate gesture he could do, but he felt affection was better placed at the moment what with the meeting ahead of them.

Squeezing his companion’s hand, he waited for the elevator to come to a stop, then stepped out into the hall.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled at Thaddeus as the elevator door closed and sent.

[ I'm horribly selfish I know but I promise we can stop by on the way down and get another several on the way out.]

He wondered which of them was going to continue their elevator tradition and was just turning to Thaddeus to make a remark before claiming a kiss when his companion beat him to it.

[Thank you. I needed that.]

They found Simon standing in the living room waiting for them. Alfarinn grinned wondering if the Tacharan had been there long.

"Good Evening Simon. Care for a drink?"
"Good Evening Simon. Care for a drink?"

Simon had been admiring the skyline again when Alfarinn walked in with Thaddeus behind him. He felt himself flush. A drink sounded wonderful. A big one. Big, big drink...but he needed to make haste with why he was there.

'Thank you, no.' He nodded to Thaddeus and then looked back at Alfarinn. His hands were laced in front of him, only to keep him from shaking. 'Something has happened and...I think you're the only one who can answer my questions.' He took several steps towards Alfarinn so his only friend could get a good look at his face.

'I've had an epiphany of sorts and it has put me in...a bit of a pickle.' He looked down at his hands, his fingers fighting to come free and properly shake. 'It would appear that I have the bonding ability.'
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn went to the bar and got himself a glass of mead, waiting for Simon's answer on the drink. He turned to Thaddeus.

"Would you care for anything?"

He looked up mid pour when Simon finished his sentence.

"Oh... well."

This posed a HUGE problem if Simon found himself bonded to Ellis. Looking down at his drink, he quickly turned the bottle upright before he spilled it and put the bottle away. How would he just find this out now? Simon had been with the evil witch for ages it would seem that if he were going to find himself bonded to her then it would have happened -before- he wanted to kill her.

"How did this happen?"
Thaddeus shook his head at Alfarinn’s supposed ‘selfishness’, though judging by his companion’s smile the statement was facetious.

[There is nowhere I would rather be than with you.]

He followed Alfarinn into the apartment, nodding his head in acknowledgement of Simon’s greeting.

“No, thank you…”

Simon rather looked like he could use a drink in his opinion but that was something best kept to himself. The normally blunt Tacharan seemed to be having trouble finding words to explain his situation…ah, nevermind then.

Well.

His companion seemed to be having about the same reaction, though Alfarinn recovered quickly enough and asked the applicable question. Perhaps it would be best for Simon to explain from the beginning.

And then they could figure out what in god’s name they were going to do next.
'I don't really know how it happened, but that's not the reason why I'm here.' He reached up and touched his face, running his fingers over the healing bits of skin. 'I had originally planned to come ask how to break it. I have bonded with someone, but...it's not Ellis.'

He really did want that drink. He walked to Alfarinn at the bar and took the drink he was pouring. He threw back the mead in one gulp.

'I bonded with Carol.'
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn watched Simon knock back his mead and silently reached for another glass. He got the bottle again and poured them both another drink. Taking his, Alfarinn took Thaddeus's hand and led them both to the couch.

"Come sit down, Simon."

It would appear the man had been burned or out in the sun from the evidence of the healing skin. He wondered just who this Carol was and how the injuries tied into the whole situation.

"Well that is better than Ellis, I suppose. Though I don't think that it is something I would mention to her but I'm sure you know that better than I."

He watched the Tacharan gravely and answered his question.

There is no breaking a bond except by death. Both parties have to be willing for a bond to happen in the first place. So you and she had to both want it for the bond to form."

Alfarinn looked down at his hand clasped in Thaddeus's own and then back at Simon.

"So if you wanted it at one time, why would you not want it now?"
'I said I had originally come to ask you to help break it, but that's not what I want. I want this. I want her. More than...anything I want her. The thing is,' he made a face and looked down, 'Carol is our Executive Secretary for the clan...and Ellis' familiar.'

Simon tried to get comfortable on the couch, changing his position several times, but ended up sitting on the edge with a frantic look.

'This is bad,' he rolled his eyes, 'to say the least. I want to protect her and I told her I would. Things are just progressing very quickly with Ellis.'

Alfarinn was literally the only friend Simon had ever had. For him to say that, was monumental at the very least. The Tacharan had gone through his unnatural life living in the shadow of his lover and leader. Her interests were his only interests. There was nothing outside the bubble of the clan for Simon so for him to do this and put both their lives at jeopardy was a risk he was willing to take. He tried to explain this to the blonde Evenhet.

'This bond with Carol, it was unexpected. She's only been with the clan about three years but in those three years...god she grows on you. She's this...evil fairy almost.' He grinned, talking about Carol and her borderline psychotic humor. Much different than Ellis, who would characteristically follow through on the psychotic banter. Simon stared off and rattled off the things about her.

'She and Marthinus are the backbone of our human side. She runs the Domicile and she is the connection to Duibne. She heads our hunts, she's smart. She has this long blonde hair, these...crystal blue eyes. Not blue, but light blue. This god awful obnoxious laugh that always annoyed me but relaxed me at the same time. In my earpiece she sounds like a little tinny pixie and lord she has a mouth on her. The cursing would make you blush. She's about five foot nothing and when she looks at me, Jesus when she smiles at me, I feel like I could maybe be the man I was meant to be.'

Simon stopped and looked up at the two men. He blinked, realizing he had been rambling on about her like a lovesick idiot. He cleared his throat and wrapped it up. 'These,' he pointed to his face, 'they happened this morning out in the train yard where we fully bonded. I swore to protect her. That I loved her and maybe always have. These, 'again pointing to his healing face, 'were worth seeing her in the sunrise. If only for a few moments, Alfarinn. To see the sun in her hair and daylight on her face. To be able to kiss her in the waking sun, something I haven't seen in over fourteen hundreds years.'

He sighed. 'I know why I didn't bond with Ellis. She wouldn't have wanted it but I know it's because I've waited all my life for Carol and I want this bond and her, more than anything.'
Thaddeus blinked when Simon strolled over and took Alfarinn’s glass of mead, draining it in one go. He could hardly begrudge the man of course, considering the state he was in, but he did raise one eyebrow at his companion.

And who was Carol? He supposed he should be relieved that it wasn’t Ellis, but in a way this was much worse for both Simon and the lady in question.

He joined his companion on the couch and let him do the talking, though he placed his other hand over their joined ones when Alfarinn explained the bond to Simon.

He could hardly help but feel relieved when Simon stated that he didn’t want to break the bond after all; the idea frankly horrified him on many levels. Even so, there were clearly complications here that made their difference in clans look practically trivial in comparison. There was, however, nothing left to do but move forward and deal with the repercussions, and in his mind it went without saying that they would help however they could.

“She sounds lovely.” Frowning, he added “Where is she now? Safe, I hope?”

It was, in his mind, not the best idea for Carol to be with Tacharan right now, especially if Simon were this obviously besotted with the woman. Simon, however, had other things to attend to and likely wouldn’t want Carol getting caught in the middle of what was to come.

A flicker of an idea crossed his mind.

He nearly dismissed it as completely idiotic. Insane, really. But while it was clearly both of those things, he couldn’t quite let it go.

[I must be out of mind…but Simon clearly needs help.] Knowing he owned the Tacharan a great deal, he continued. [Our apartment has three bedrooms. Not exactly the safe house we were envisioning, but the concept is there even if the building isn’t.]

[I really must be out of my mind.]

/ooc *wonders if Thaddeus got a hold of Carol's pot plants*
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn looked at Simon in relief a moment and then with growing concern. Ellis's familiar... the man had an insane death wish. 'Now, you know better than anyone that love finds you in the oddest of places and the strangest of times.'

He continued to listen to Simon's description of Carol's 'virtues' and thought about the matter.

"Alright then. Do you know how this happens for you? There is a give and a receive of some sort, a trigger that helps the two people connect. You might want to figure out what that is for you lest it happens again without your knowledge.

I must be fair. I said that bonds can't be broken, that is my own view of them, they can lessen with time and distance. Some even claim they can be broken this way but I am doubtful. A renewal of sorts is generally good to keep it strong. Whatever it is that causes the connection for you."

Ellis's familiar... Thaddeus's words broke him out of those thoughts and he almost turned to his companion in complete shock. Here he had been concerned for Simon and the situation and Thaddeus had moved beyond that to be compassionate to the human woman that was also involved in this new danger, to him that personal concern was so like Thaddeus and it always surprised him that his partner considered himself cold and distant.

Bringing Carol into their homes would bring the wrath of Ellis down upon them. One psychotic killer had been so recently dealt with; Alfarinn was not certain he wished to bring another so soon into their lives... but Simon needed their help. The Tacharan had no where else to turn. Alfarinn felt that if Thaddeus was willing to risk things for her then it would be selfish of him to say, no, its not safe, besides friendship meant a lot to him and he couldn't compromise the things he believed in for the possibility of keeping them out of harm's way.

[This is true. Perhaps we could buy the church ahead of schedule and Carol, if she is willing, could help us fix it up. Something to keep her mind off the danger might be a good idea. ]

Squeezing Thaddeus's hand gently, he sent.

[ I think you're perfectly sane and absolutely wonderful. ]

" She could stay with us if you are worried about her. There is a place outside of the clans that we thought to buy, plus if you are concerned for her safety immediately we have a place she could stay. It should be quite secure. I don't know that it is the safest idea though. Does Ellis know? because if she doesn't then you and Carol both might be safer by pretending nothing has changed for the moment. Once she does then there would be little stopping her from revenge I would think."

((OOC: He hardly drinks but he's willing to take a toke from some strange human who grows pot in her closet... Thaddeus has odd priorities sometimes ))