Late Night Meanderings (Open)

Edwin had only recently gotten to the city, so he hadn't been able to spend a lot of time exploring. Now, after spending way too much time studying, he decided that he needed a breather. Pulling on his hoodie, he headed out into the crisp night air.

Wandering a little aimlessly around the city, Edwin didn't travel too far from his new home. He found a nighttime garden and decided that it would be a nice place for a meandering stroll. A couple walked past him, and he quickly shuffled to the side, not wanting to be in their way.

Stopping by a bush with silvery flowers, Edwin tucked his hands into the pocket of his hoodie. The flowers here were very pretty. He wondered if anyone would mind if he plucked one.

(OOC: Very mega open. He's shy, but he wants to play.)

Pakpao 18 years ago
Middle of the night, damned machine was backing up and she'd read all her books. That was what finally drove Pak out. She was much happier barricaded with technology and other techno geeks than with 'real' people.

So, if you held a gun to her head Pak couldn't tell you how in the world she'd wound up in the gardens. Still it was a beautiful night, she really did have to go outside more. The walk had her feeling good so when she saw someone studying a bush, rather than wander on by she actually stopped.

"They are beautiful aren't they."Â?
Edwin Bishop 18 years ago
Edwin was still looking at the flowers, wondering what kind they were, when someone joined him.

"They are beautiful aren't they."

He turned rather quickly, a bit startled by the sudden company. He hadn't heard the woman approach, but then he hadn't been paying much attention to anything but the flowers on this bush either. He cleared his throat before smiling timidly at the woman.

"Yes, yes they are." Okay, new person, he hoped he wasn't coming off like an idiot, but he doubted he was making a good impression. "I'm not in your way, am I?" he asked stepping to the side so that the woman could get a better view.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Was it her or did he seem young? Nope he seemed young. Her eyes smiled, even if she held her face neutral.

"You're fine. I promise, you'd know if you were in the way."Â?

Pak wasn't often accused of being subtle, it had been known to happen but not often.

Spotting a bench she sat, one leg folded under her the other foot resting on the ground. She half reached for the cigarette case in her pocket, but stopped. They were an evil habit, but such a good one.

"You aren't lost or anything tragic are you?"Â?

Not knowing why she was here it was easy to imagine someone else wandering in and not knowing why or where they were. Besides, it didn't seem to here too many guys made nocturnal runs to any sort of garden.
Feeling a little better to hear that he wasn't in the way, Edwin smiled again. When she sat down, he stepped a little closer to her, as it seemed that she still wanted to talk to him for at least a little bit longer.

"No, I'm not lost. I just needed to get out tonight, you know? I'm new to the city, and I haven't had a chance to just walk around really." Being bold (deciding that maybe the woman did want to have a conversation), he asked, "Umm, what about you?"
Pakpao 18 years ago
Her self-control failed her and she pulled out the cigarette case, plain gold with an Asian dragon engraved on it, selected a clove and put the case away. She didn't light the cigarette just yet and simply held it.

"About the same actually. I've got an unavoidable break from work and thought a walk would be good. I didn't even know this place existed."Â?

More studying of the clove, no she was determined no to light it.

"So you're new in town, what brings you out this way?"Â?
Watching her take out a case, he thought it was very neat. He wondered why she just held the cigarette, instead of smoking it, but it was really none of his business.

"I didn't know it was here either, I just kinda found it. Though I guess there must be a tourist map somewhere that says it's here." Thinking about that for a moment, he asked, "Is there a lot of tourism here, or do you know?"

When asked about being new, he nodded. "Yeah, I moved here because it's close to where I'm going to school." Edwin played with one of the cuffs of his hoodie, feeling a little homesick
Pakpao 18 years ago
The tourism thought brought a laugh as she absently pulled the long ponytail over her shoulder.

"A tourist in my own home, that is a sad state of affairs."Â?

Since she was living her it was technically home. Pak tried to think whom she could blame for the fact that she was still a stranger in the city after several months, but the idea quickly ceased to amuse her and was forgotten.

She thought this guy looked a little lonely, but not being the best judge of others feelings wasn't quite sure.

"Well we've all got to be new sooner or later. Here's hoping you settle in better than I apparently have."Â?
"A tourist in my own home, that is a sad state of affairs."Â?

"Well, you said that tonight was an unavoidable break from work, so you have a good excuse for not coming here before," he said, trying to be reassuring. "At least you're out now." He wasn't sure how much better that would make her feel, but it was all he had at this point.

When she commented about being new, Edwin shrugged, pulling his hoodie a little closer.
"Yeah, I guess so. I'm still settling, and it's going all right. I miss home, but..." He was adjusting. Slowly.
Pakpao 18 years ago
She got the feeling he was trying to be nice and so didn't laugh, she just smiled and finally gave in, lit the clove and took a long drag.

"If it bothers you say so. I'm not totally uncouth."Â?

She just wouldn't ask for permission since they were outside.

Watching the kid, and he had been dubbed a kid in her mind, sink further into his hoodie made Pak realize for the first time it was cold out. She hadn't bothered with a jacket, but at least she'd been wearing long sleeves.

"But what? After all home is where you make it."Â?

Not where your heart is, Pakpao would never look at things quite that way.

"You know I didn't get your name."Â?
Edwin shook his head about the smoke. Not that he'd say anything if it did bother him. He'd most likely just try to move away rather innocently, so as not to bother her by complaining. "It's fine. I don't mind."

But what? That was a very good question, and not one Edwin liked to think about. "Well, it's just that...everything's so new, you know? And I just haven't gotten used to it." Ugh, he sounded like such a loser. She probably wouldn't want to stay here if he kept talking. Now, how to make it sound better? "Yet. I'm just not used to it yet.

"And my name is Edwin. I didn't get your name either, sorry."
Pakpao 18 years ago
She shook her head, certain he wouldn't say a word even if she blew the smoke right in his face. She could relate to not being good at change, look how long it had taken her to leave Siam. She'd gotten better about change over the years though.

"Pakpao, but most people call me Pak."Â?

Smiling at his 'new' comment she had to laugh. It wasn't spiteful, more encouraging.

"Of course it's new or you'd be in the same place, and what fun is that. Don't tell me this is your first time away from home."Â?
"Pakpao," Edwin repeated, committing the name to memory. "It's a very pretty name."

Hearing her laugh, Edwin wondered if she was laughing at him. "Yeah, I haven't really been on my own like this, and this is the first time I've been away from my family."

He missed his Mimi. But he didn't want to think about that right now. "What about you? Do you have family here?"
Pakpao 18 years ago
"Thank you. I'm rather fond of it myself and I'm impressed you got the accent right. Most people take a couple of times to perfect it."Â?

True statement, it was subtle but there was an accent and some people always got it wrong, which irritated her. She couldn't remember now, but it was possible that's how her nickname had come about.

Taking another drag on the clove, she thoughtfully blew the smoke away from Edwin, Pak considered the family question.

"Family? Of sorts, part of the reason I wound up here I think."Â?

Of course, short of Artemis, she wasn't sure who else was here.

"First time out on your own? Really? Then there has to be something good about it, even if its leaving your dirty socks in the middle of the floor and not having anyone yell at you."Â?
Edwin smiled, glad that he had been able to say her name correctly. Glad, and relieved that he hadn't said it wrong.

"Family? Of sorts,

Edwin could understand that, maybe. His family situation was somewhat strange. He wondered if that's what she meant, an unusual family arrangement. "So, you moved here to be back with your family?"

He tried to think of something good about being on his own. "I've never thought about it that way." But he was having a hard time coming up with something. "But I don't really leave my socks on the floor."
Pakpao 18 years ago
"I guess you could look at it like that."Â?

She let the family situation drop. There really wasn't a good way to explain in with out going into details and she didn't want to do that, not now.

Pausing with the cigarette half way to her lips she looked at Edwin, rather bewildered. Literal sort wasn't he? Of course, he could be kidding, if she'd said it she would be.

"The straight man always gets the best lines."Â?
Edwin thought that it was nice that she moved back to be with her family. He could certainly understand that inclination. "I'm sure they're glad to have you around. How long have you been here?"

He smiled a little at her comment. "Well, it's true. I'm not too messy. Maybe I'll be able to think of something else in a week." Or a month. He hoped he was able to adjust to all this newness soon. "I'll be sure to let you know."
Pakpao 18 years ago
"A few months I suppose. I've sort of lost track of time recently."Â?

She finished the clove and stubbed it out while debating whether or not to have another. Finally deciding not to she held onto the butt. Once it was cool, she'd pocket it until a trash can or ashtray could be located.

Was that back up done yet? Could be, but she hadn't worn a watch. Irritated, she swore softly in Siamese. She had to start wearing a watch.

"Well now you have a goal. What are you studying, maybe that will give you a clue."Â?
Edwin nodded understandingly. Time could certainly get away from a person. Hearing her speak a different language, but just barely, Edwin tilted his head to the side, considering her for a moment.

"So, where were you from originally, if you don't mind me asking?" He could put two and two together, given everything he could see and had heard from her.

"I haven't quite decided what I want to study. Music, definitely, but I'm not sure if I want to do just that or something else. And I've really just played because I enjoyed playing, so I'm not sure if I'll enjoy having to take every necessary course just to graduate.." But even if he decided that he didn't want to major in music, he could always take only the classes that he would for guidance and to better himself.
Pakpao 18 years ago
Where was she from, well Pak didn't think her village existed any more, although the last time she looked at a map there was a city where it had been. Still that city wasn't home, so she skipped ahead.

"Bangkok actually. But I haven't been there in years. I'd be a tourist there too."Â?

That made her laugh again, but it was a little sad. She really should go back for a visit, it wasn't like anyone would know her.

What had he said, her mind snapped back from its mental visit home. Music, that was it.

"If you enjoy it that's half the battle isn't it. I'm a bit jealous, I've never learned to play a note. I can't seem to focus on any of it long enough to learn."Â?
Edwin gathered that Pakpao had moved around a lot, or at least she had been very mobile a couple times in her life. "Do you ever want to go back?"

He knew that he wouldn't be staying away from home long enough to become a "tourist" of sorts. He hoped nothing there changed too much while he was gone.

"I enjoy, it sure, but there are other classes I have to take other than just the violin or piano. And I'm sure you could play if you wanted to. It might just depends on who's teaching you." Edwin was a little biased about his teacher, considering she was his grandmother. "Or maybe it just wasn't the right time to learn it for you. It takes a lot of time, and if you don't have time, then it can be hard to do."