Coffee...tea...or? (Lock Please)

Hearing the buzzer on the oven, Shay grabbed the potholders, and pulled the brownies out. She set the hot pan on a cooling tray, and checked the coffee. It was a new blend she'd just bought, and hadn't tried yet, but it smelled wonderful.

She took out her 'less than ladylike' coffee mugs, reserving the porcelain cups and saucers for other, more feminine company, and set out the sugar and cream as well. Tapping her bottom lip, she decided, what the hell, and opened the cupboard to pull out a very good bottle of brandy, as well. A little drop in the bottom of the coffee might help take the edge off her nervousness. But she'd wait...she didn't want Mathias arriving with a sloshed Shay on hand.

Then thinking music might be nice, she found a channel on the audio deck that was playing chamber music. While she might change it later, for now it seemed soothing to her, so she left it on.

Mathias 18 years ago
The comforting smells of the deli wafted over Mathias as he entered. The jovial laughter of the owner,a short Jewish lady invited him in. They greeted one another in Hebrew,she having been born there and Mathias...well it had been a while since he last was there. She always teased him that his accent showed and Mathias always promised to work on it. An old,familiar joke.
He picked up his order - some sandwiches (corned beef,pastrami and a Reuben) some assorted sides (potato salad and cole slaw).

What does one bring to a coffee date? I suppose sandwiches work as well as anything

Getting back into his car, Mathias turned on the radio and selected a favorite country station. It was odd,to be sure, a vampire - especially one 1100 year old,listening to country. But many of the artists reminded him of the troubadours and skalds of his youth and he found that settling. Making one more stop, Mathias soon found himself at Shay's condo.

Knocking on the door he waited for her to answer....
Shay 18 years ago
Having taken a seat on the couch, to wait, Shay found herself too nervous to read the magazine lying on the coffee table. She picked up the remote and flipped the radio to a country station. Maybe if she listened to something a bit more upbeat, she'd stop thinking so hard about what this 'date' tonight meant.

She laughed out loud when she heard Mary Chapin Carpenter start singing 'I Feel Lucky'...if that wasn't a sign, Shay didn't know what was.

Singing along, she stopped with the knock at the door. Jumping up, she almost ran to the door, but stopped midway, and forced herself to take two deep breaths, focus on calming down, and then slowly walked the rest of the way to the door. She looked out the peep hole, and with the porch light on she could see his face. She licked her lips, smiled, and opened the door.

"Mathias!"

Fortunately she hadn't squealed his name, but even still was probably more exuberant than would have made for a sophisticated response.

She put her hands lightly on his shoulders, and air bussed each cheek. She marveled at the restraint she had shown in not just kissing him full on.

"This was a marvelous idea, please, come in."

And with a quick step backwards, into her flat, she gestured for him to enter.

As she waited, she surreptitiously checked him out...and remember quickly what it was about him that had initially caught her attention. She did have the good graces not to drool over him though.
Mathias 18 years ago
Mathias smiled when the door opened and Shay gave him a light hug.
"You are a vision Shay...I'm almost embarrassed to give this to you.."
He pulled a red rose from behind his back. It was a vibrant,almost blood red color,freshly cut.
"It's beauty pales in comparison to you" Her sweater and jeans nicely complimented his jeans and button down shirt - Mathias was glad to see he hadn't over or under dressed.

At Shay's invitation he entered her condo,taking a quick look around. "You have a very nice place Shay." He heard some music,something that sounded familiar. " You like country too?"

Wow - another coincidence,it's nice though...something else to talk about

"Oh! I brought sandwiches and side dishes, I wasn't sure how hungry you would be"
Shay 18 years ago
Vision? She'd so much rather have the one she had.

She took the rose, and almost cried. It was such a simple gesture, but one that meant worlds to Shay. First, it meant he'd actually taken extra time, just for her, and second...she hadn't received flowers from anyone, since Brian bought her the homecoming corsage. The bouquet of straw the guys on the force bought her, as a joke, certainly didn't count.

She sniffed the fragrance and closed the door behind him.

"Thank you...being a writer and spending so much time here, I like it to feel good. And yes, I love country western music...I like a lot of music actually, but country I can understand well enough to sing along, if I want. Don't laugh, but some of the more popular rock stuff...I listen to it, but I rarely understand it."

Food! Wow...he'd thought of everything. Though her stomach was in such knots she was afraid she'd not be eating much, no matter how hungry she was.

She walked into the adjoining kitchen, put the rose in a vase she took off the shelf, and then set out some plates, and utensils.

"Here, why don't you give me that and I'll get it ready. Please, feel free to look around if you want."

She turned and started with the tray of brownies, dumping them onto the cutting board, cutting them into squares, and noticing how most of the ones in the middle...hadn't cooked all the way through.

"Ugh. Shoot." She took the good ones, set them on a smaller plate than she'd planned, and then threw the rest into the sink.

"It's a good thing you had the foresight to think of sandwiches...otherwise, I'm afraid you would have gone hungry. I'm still getting used to the oven here, and the brownies didn't turn out the best."

She laughed as she cleaned up the tray the brownies were baked in.

"Who am I kidding...I'm not the world's best cook."

She wondered if he was still standing there, or if he'd walked off to check out her home. She also wondered just how long her hands were going to shake. She was amazed at the strong emotions that hit her when she was in his company.

"How do you take your coffee?"

(ooc - eek! forgot to put this in the first post. This is what she's wearing. I'm a kind visual person )
Mathias 18 years ago
Despite her invitation,Mathias followed Shay around. for one, a guided tour was always preferable...and for two,well she was better looking than anything he could possibly find.

"That's ok - If it wasn't for fast food I'd starve" True enough,learning the culinary arts had never been important to Mathias. His focus tended to the religious and martial.

"Just black please,and is there anything I can do to help you?"
Shay 18 years ago
"Just make yourself comfortable...you've already done plenty. Thanks for asking though."

A man of manners...how nice that was. Shay wondered if her brothers were so helpful in such situations. Somehow, she doubted it, highly.

"Would you like me to fix your plate, or did you want to serve yourself?"

Being the oldest in a family of four kids, two of them being boys, Shay's duty was to help serve...a habit she'd not lost. And, in this case, one she didn't mind at all.

She poured his coffee, and sat it down on the adjacent counter, closer to where he stood. She debated adding the brandy to her coffee, and finally ended up going with just a splash. Maybe it would give her nerves just a modicum of calm. She also quickly took a sip, and enjoyed the warmth as it slid down her throat, and then set the cup down, and picked up a plate.
Mathias 18 years ago
Smelling the nice vintage of brandy,Mathias couldn't resist teasing Shay. "Am I so horrible a guest that you require spirits to stand me?" He said in mock indignation,smirking to let Shay know he was just kidding.

"No,that's ok - I can serve myself. Besides you were kind enough to invite me over, the least I can do is get my own sandwich. In fact,let me get yours. Please sit, I insist"

Mathias gave Shay his most disarming smile,the one that normally sent small children screaming. He directed the protesting woman over to the couch.
"Pastrami,Corned Beef or Brisket?"
Shay 18 years ago
She blushed when his words pretty much hit the nail on the head. Well, not the horrible part, certainly. She smiled in mild chagrin.

"To be honest, I am a bit nervous...the crazy thing is, being nervous is actually making me even more nervous...it's not really a state I'm used to."

And that was the gods honest truth. In the past Shay had disarmed men with guns, and knives, and never blinked twice. Now here she was, in the company of a compelling, and attractive man, and her knees felt like jello. She couldn't even recall this feeling with Brian. Though, Brian was a boy...Mathias was definitely all man.

She went to the couch to sit, a bit reluctantly, though not protesting at all. Putting down her coffee, she sat down, cross-legged, and watched him.

"Pastrami sounds great."

Absentmindedly, she rubbed her cheeks...starting to ache again from constantly smiling.

"If these taste as good as they smell, I'll need you to let me in on the address of this deli...I've been missing my old favorite, Canters, back home."
Mathias 18 years ago
Mathias was pleasantly surprised how comfortable he was around Shay. Most times he closed himself off - preferring to hide in books or battle. But there was just something about Shay that drew him out

"LA girl? Been a while since I was out that way" About 100 years to be exact

"No need to be nervous Shay, we are just two people having coffee and getting to know one another - nothing complex there. Besides if you are nervous,imagine how I am!" He chuckled,and hoped that set her at ease.

"If you are lucky I'll do you one better - I'll take you"
Shay 18 years ago
"Oh, you've been to LA? Obviously it didn't impress you much, not that it should. It can be a pretty seedy place...and I've seen the seediest parts. Though I do like the beaches. In any event, I guess you can see why Nachton would be such a haven for me. Everything here seems a bit classier...more refined. Not to mention everyone I've met has been so friendly. In all the years I lived in Los Angeles, I could count on one hand, how many I met outside work, and...none of them were ever invited over for coffee."

She doubted he knew just how much of a risk this was for her to take. Aside from the fact that he was a man, and had considerable brawn over her, it was more the emotional vulnerability that she was risking. Physically, he didn't tower over her...and she did have a good knowledge of self defense. But what he could do to her emotional well being was what a part of her feared.

"You? You look so remarkably calm...and at ease. In fact, so much so, I almost hate you!"

She laughed. There was no way she hated him...but she did feel a teensy bit irked if he was as nervous as he said, and yet still able to appear so in control.

His 'lucky' comment sent her into laughter.

"I'm feeling lucky tonight," She sang. The song was over, but she knew it well enough to remember the tune.

"But...how would I become lucky in YOUR eyes?"
Mathias 18 years ago
Taking a seat next to Shay,Mathias stretched for a moment "don't misunderstand me, I liked LA - I like all cities.And that's the thing of it, I have traveled so much that cities tend to blur together and form The City." He chuckled,remembering that was a nickname for his beloved Constatinople.

Setting the plate and cup down,he took Shay's hands in his own. " I appear calm because I have 2 choices - to be this way or not. Now,which would be best for us? I decided to be calm and therefore I am - or a reasonable facsimile thereof" He smiled, to let Shay know he wasn't entirely serious and to release some nervous energy. "Besides, if I'm less than calm,how will I impress you?"

"I would daresay we both are lucky,to be here right now,where we are - but would make you feel lucky Shay?"
Shay 18 years ago
She took a bite of her sandwich, when Mathias handed it to her, and listened. Though she had traveled some, it was obvious Mathias was quite the seasoned jet setter. She was a bit envious, though if she really wanted to travel, Shay was financially secure enough to do so. Maybe when her next book was finished, she'd do that.

Mathias
" I appear calm because I have 2 choices - to be this way or not. Now,which would be best for us? I decided to be calm and therefore I am - or a reasonable facsimile thereof...Besides, if I'm less than calm,how will I impress you?"

"Yes...it is good one of us has their wits about them. If it were only that easy for me...to just 'choose' to be calm. People used to tell me that was why I made such a good cop...because I was always so calm and cool. Maybe it's the move that still has me a little flustered."

Did that sound plausible, she questioned of herself? The last thing she wanted was to scare him away, but confessing the fact that he was making her palms sweat, just sitting so near.

Fortunately, that was a bit of an exaggeration, since he was holding her hands in his.

"And you really don't need to worry about impressing me. You had me at the club...so to speak."

And once again her mouth opened and words came out, that might have been better off withheld...at least a bit longer. Nothing like appearing easy...but then of course there was easy, and there was 'lay down on the floor and take me now' ridiculously easy.

And Mathias...was doing everything he seemingly could do, to make her feel more comfortable. In her own house yet too...some hostess she was being.

"To possibly put your mind at ease...I'm really not always so emotionally retarded. I know it may be difficult to believe...but really...underneath this shell of quivering flesh, lies a steel framework."

She gave his hands a squeeze, before she let go and set her plate on the table. She swept the side of her hair behind her ear, as she turned back to look at him again. His next question was an easy one.

"This is it, pretty much. To have found someone who I am hoping will become a true friend...and...maybe...possibly...more. This is what has made me feel lucky tonight."

She reached up and caressed his cheek. And again came within a hair of leaning over and pressing her lips to his. The voice inside her stopped her though. Mathias...well...the term 'old soul' seemed so fitting for him. Though he didn't seem old-fashioned, not in his dress, or mannerisms, or the way he treated her...there was just something about him that led her to move more slowly.
Mathias 18 years ago
Her hand brushed his cheek,Mathias closed his eyes and for a moment concentrated on feeling her. He could hear her breath, feel her heart racing. Taking Shay's hand in his,Mathias gently kissed her fingers,looking into her blue green eyes.
"To..true friends, and possibilities"

Noticing the change in music,he had an idea. The tempo had slowed, Restless Heart's 'I'll Still Be Loving You' came on. Standing,Mathias offered his hand to Shay. "May I have the honor of this dance Milady?" smiling ever so softly.
Shay 18 years ago
Now the kissing of her fingers wasn't a 'hope you feel comfortable' action...but Shay certainly wasn't about to do anything to stop him. And when he asked her to dance, she stood and went into his arms, before she melted on the spot.

"Yes...you may."

Her arms encircled his neck, and she laid her head on his chest. She knew the song, and hummed along, but her mind wasn't on the words. Instead she was thinking about Mathias.

"Who are you Mathias...and how is it I managed to find you here, in Nachton?"

She had said the words aloud, but wasn't aware of it. For a few minutes she was only thinking about the softness of his hair, as her fingers toyed with the ends, along his neck.
Mathias 18 years ago
"Who are you Mathias...and how is it I managed to find you here, in Nachton?"
Those words...so innocent and yet conveying so much. Who was he? Was he the stone killer Ellis and the rest of Tacharan knew? Or was he the sweet man Shay imagined him to be?

He held her,moving,perhaps not to any tune that was playing - and for that moment the world faded away to the two of them. Gently he lifted her face to look directly in her eyes.

"I am just a man Shay,and I could very well ask how I came to find you. Perhaps we should simply accept that we did,and not tempt Fate by questioning it."

Mathias was unsure what else he could say to her then, the words would seem not enough..softly cradling Shay's face he brought his lips to hers and they kissed.
Shay 18 years ago
Accepting his words would be possible, for now. God knew she didn't want to 'tempt fate'...this felt too good to risk damaging. But she was a woman with a mind of questions...it was almost inherent her to investigate things. How could she convey this to him, without having him feel threatened?

Time? Would time help? Could she deal with the time it might take?

Before she could present any of the questions to him, she felt his lips pressing hers, and she almost swooned.

Her eyes closed, her lips parted, and she felt herself falling. Her arms went around his neck even more tightly, as to do otherwise, with the way her knees were buckling, and she'd quickly be on the floor.

Had she ever really been kissed before? She thought not...nothing in her life had ever felt so good. And then she remembered breathing...it was a necessity, and she had forgotten that, temporarily. As she pulled back, she looked into his eyes again...and couldn't hide the questions inside. But she refrained from speaking them. Her finger moved to his face, right above his left eyebrow, and lightly traced the line that ran across his nose. Funny how on anyone else, the scar would have been marring, yet on him, it was just part of who he was.

"Can you tell me anything about you?"

Her finger continued beyond the scar, and down to his lips, where she softly traced their outline. Yummy lips...
Mathias 18 years ago
"Can you tell me anything about you?"

Her question hovered in the air,shay's fingers tracing a pattern down his scar and across his lips. He held her,and thought about the question. What could he tell her? What was safe to let her know and what would be a lie of convenience and safety?

He took her hand in his again,and sat down on the couch

"What do you want to know? What would you have me ask? For in truth,I want to know so much about you that words scarcely can do it justice."
Shay 18 years ago
Moving to the couch, she again sat cross-legged, but this time she sat so she was facing Mathias, and leaned her shoulder into the couch.

"Words..my livelihood...they can be cumbersome, at times...but what else to we have?"

She did understand how he felt though, and having lost the connection when they quit dancing, she now took his closest hand in hers, to get part of it back.

"I want to know everything...though I realize that's completely impractical now...and I'm sure there are things you don't share with strangers...so whatever there is about you, that you feel comfortable in sharing with me..."

Her serious gaze turned a bit less so, as she gave him a half grin.

"You're not married, are you?"

Of course if he was, and was out playing around, he could easily say no. But there was something about Mathias that led Shay to believe that was far from the case. She thought had he been attached, the whole 'beginning' between then at the House of Pain, would have never taken place. He just didn't seem the type to have the need of many women. At least she hoped her instincts were up to par on this.

"I know you research religious sects...and you dance brilliantly...you make me feel unlike anyone has ever made me feel..."

Reaching up with one hand, she stroked the skin from his ear, down his neck, before joining her other hand to clasp his again.

"But what do you do when you're not checking out clubs, or delis...or working? How do you have fun...or relax...what do you do when you're bored? Do you come from a large family...have lots of siblings...any nieces, nephews...do you like kids? Do you have..."

She laughed, and stopped, shaking her head.

"All right, I'm getting a little carried away here."

She shrugged slightly, and smiled, as she wrinkled her nose. It was a silly habit, but one she'd had since she was very small. Anytime she felt she'd done something silly...or someone else had, her nose crinkled up like that. Sometimes it was followed with her sticking her tongue out as well. She let that part go, this time.
Mathias 18 years ago
"You're not married, are you?"
Mathias almost laughed at that question. He understood her concern,but it just struck him as funny.
"No, I am not married,nor am I seeing anyone...I am not one for 'playing the field' as it were." He hoped that would allay any fears Shay had.The other questions were much more difficult to answer - he didn't want to lie to Shay,and yet the truth would endanger her and himself. Ellis prized the clan's secrecy above all else and would have no compunction about eliminating himself and Shay,despite her professed fondness.

"Honestly, I haven't been in Nachton long enough to develop any fun hobbies. Most of my time is spent in various libraries,ruins and other places that don't exactly say exciting. I enjoy working out,and reading for enjoyment rather than work. I enjoy most music,though country music is a personal favorite - reminds me in a way of troubadours." Shay was very easy to talk to,very comfortable to be around and were Mathias less cognizant of the consequences he might say something dangerous.

"My parents passed when I was young,and subsequently the state raised me. Not the ideal youth perhaps,but not horrible either."

Smiling softly at the young woman,Mathias leaned in close. "So..tell me Shalimar O'Mannon - what drives you? Why are you a writer?"
Shay 18 years ago
Her heart jumped a bit, when he confirmed he wasn't attached. Her feelings about him seemed dead on there. And while he hadn't completely answered her questions, he'd done well.

"I'm glad you're not otherwise engaged, but I didn't think you seemed the type to visit a woman's home, if you had been."

She was more than glad, but she felt she needed to comment, and that seemed a safe one...hopefully one that didn't make her seem totally desperate.

The fact that he liked country music, and worked out, and was an avid reader were all common things they held between them.

"I rather thought you might work out..."

She ran her hand down his bicep. From being in his arms, she had felt strength there.

"I've never really cared for organized workouts, myself...I tend to be a bit of a slacker. But if you ever want to run...I do enjoy that, and would more than enjoy the company. Early mornings, or late evenings work best for me, and I've checked out the neighborhood...it seems safe."

That could be something fitting for the two of them to do together...if he wanted. Running gave her the exercise she needed, as well as a nice break from her writing, and bring cooped up. It was a thought...and something that she hoped would tell him she wanted to do things with him, in the future.

The fact that his parents were gone was sad, but as it had been awhile, and wasn't a fresh hurt, she didn't see a need to discuss it. The fact that he had been a ward of the state she thought was even more sad, but any discussion about that would wait. Tonight she didn't want to talk about sad things...

"Why am I a writer...hmmm...well, not for any glamorous reasons. I kind of fell into it, as a line of work. I'd taken English in college, but circumstances caused me to change my major. Ultimately I wound up at the police academy and became a cop. But a cop in L.A.? I'm sure you can imagine it's not a fun life, and after deciding the frustrations were outweighing the good I was doing, I left.

More or less as a catharsis, I wrote a book about my life as a cop, and it did well. I was lucky, and did considerably well on the royalties...and still am actually. My second book is due out in about a month, and now I'm on my third. I seem to have a lot of things to say, and rather than bore my friends with the words, I just type them up, and somehow they find their way to people who don't think they are boring.

It's a crazy life, I think, truthfully...but one I seem well suited to."

She'd been rambling, but it felt good. It had been a long time since anyone had expressed an interest in her...she missed it.

"Your turn. I'll leave it up to you, what you tell me..."

Maybe by her being more open about the things she wanted to know, he'd find more he felt at ease talking about.