Private/open for all

I'm slightly confused.... When people don't write (private) or (insertcharecternameshere) after their thread titles, is it then, an invitation for all, or? Some of the threads seem rather private, but are they? It's hard to keep track of when people are starting a new storyline and wants other to jump in, and when they're following up on 10 other thread.
Does it have anything to do with chance? For instance the thread The enemy of the enemy isn't marked as private, but it's fairly obvious that it would make no sense for Michel to join in, merely because the odds of accidently finding them are very very small. On the other hand there might have been another vamp following Sorin, for whom it would make sense to join, so it sorta makes sense that it isn't marked as "private".

Now, let's take the Lost in Nachton thread. Was Kyle and Mai joining that thread purely accidental? Might have been some pm'ing going on, perhaps Aishe and Mai know each other on some other board. I have no way of knowing, and thus I keep my chars away.

Perhaps if people used the (Open) thingy after their thread titles, to indicate that "Hey! It's ok! You can join here! I actually -want- you to!", it would all be easier? Or something...perhaps I'm the only one seeing a problem here, which I then suggest you tell me.

(The threads mentioned in this post weren't taken to pick on anyone in particular, but rather taken to illustrate a point.)

Amberelle DeEspionne 18 years ago
I know a couple of times when I just threw somone out there 'fishing' for something to do, I made an OOC note at the bottom to say so. I guess it could go on the title as well /shrug
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Some aren't marked private because people simply forgot but I would say that it is easy enough to tell from reading the thread. If you want to make certain no one joins you then mark if private. If you want to make certain it is ok for you to join the thread and they didn't mark it open or gave some other indication if it is ok to join then send them a PM and ask. Most people appreciate those and if it is truly open, would probably enjoy the company.
Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
/agree Alfarinn

Sometimes I forget :X but a lot of the time I'm open for a chance meeting or unexpected knock on the door or whatever .
Ellis Duban 18 years ago
The thread from Aishe was labeled open, but within the post I believe. I was talking to Blackrabbit on aim and just asked her if she wanted company.

It's a real concern that maybe people dont feel involved with the staff and honestly we're not trying to encourage that feeling at all. Right now some of the staff have gotten themself involved with a storyline that will actually change the structure of the clans (somewhat) but that just started from Mai and I deciding to start the ball off in the sewers.

I've got 3 humans, 2 vampires - I'm always open to join any interaction with anyone on the board, as are the other staff members. So for me, if i'm in a thread that isn't labeled private, feel free to walk on by and I'll try and do the same =)
Alfarinn 18 years ago
And she promises not to bite anyone their first time in a thread.
Ellis Duban 18 years ago
I did? Oh I mean, yes I do promise
Aishe 18 years ago
I marked mine open, it was at the bottom of the post though, sorry! Since I'm new here I'm really looking to jump in and get lots of RP fun going, so feel free to play with Aishe. This is all kinda new to me but I'm loving it so far, and the more I write the happier I am!