Second Dates are always interesting

Driving to the hotel made her palms damp. Surely at her age a date should not make her this nervous. But this one did. She had changed outfits at least a dozen times. Finally deciding on a warm tan peasant blouse with a bronze skirt that had embroidered swirls along the hemline. She found her nice pair of cream ballet slippers, nice meaning there were no obvious paint stains on them. A touch of makeup, minor light bronze eyeshadow and butterfly dust across her cheeks, and she was as ready as she could get. Wishing for lipstick she put on her Sun Dog Hemp Lip Balm before dropping it back into its cubby in her car's console.

The lights were on in the parking garage of the hotel, beckoning her to get out of the car. Picking up her crochet hemp purse (in a natural tone of dark cream) she got out of the car. She got two steps away before she remembered her keys were still in the ignition. Returning to the car she grabbed her keys, locked the car and dropped the keychain into her handbag.

"Dont be nervous. Dont be nervous. Dont be nervous." she chanted quietly to herself. "Its just your new neighbor, nothing more than a friendly neighbor offering you dinner when you provided it last night. Thats all. No other intentions at all. You just thought she was hitting on you last night, it was all in your head. Just go in and have a nice friendly dinner." Her littany lasted until the front door of the lobby.

A bellman in uniform opened the door for her and she stepped into the lush hotel.

Connie 18 years ago
Connie had nearly been pacing barefoot in her room for the twenty minutes leading up to seven-twenty, the hotel-provided alarm clock glaring at her in its evil green-LCD stare.

She hadn't done anything special to her hair, outside of wash and brush it; she really needed to get it styled. Sure, she liked the short, chin-length bob, but it was missing something.

Tonight's dress hung on the door of the bathroom; she had had to buy the pale blue blouse because the only other shirts she had available that weren't in storage or really old were work shirts. Light khaki pants she did have, though; work clothes could double easily for date clothes in some respects. She opted for a light grey bra that didn't show through the blouse. She didn't even want to think of the white boy-shorts she was wearing, she didn't want to jynx anything tonight.

Smoky grey eyeshadow and a gentle pink lipstick was the only makeup she allowed herself; the fragrance of some random floral perfume she was spritzed with when shopping for the blouse floated about her as she moved.

Seven twenty flashed on the LCD, and she slipped on the matte black flats, the only "dress shoes" she owned, "hah'ed" into her hand to make sure her breath was fresh, picked up her small black purse, and headed to the elevator.

Seven twenty four saw her sitting in the Lobby, awaiting Nyra's arrival. Six minutes of chanting to herself, "Behave, behave, behave, take it at her pace, behave" until she appeared at the door. Standing, she smiled, and rose to meet her new friend.

"Hello, Nyra! You look lovely!" She stretched her arms out again, hoping the younger woman would embrace her.
Nyra 18 years ago
Upon entering the overwhelming stone and steel lobby, Nyra heard Connie calling her name. When the other woman opened her arms, it was just natural to walk up and embrace her as she would any friend. Hugging Connie made her heart pound much harder than hugging anyone else.

There were so many thoughts running around her head and all that came out of her mouth was
"You look so lovely in that shade of blue."

Wanting to kick herself for putting her foot in her mouth she hugged the taller woman tighter for just a moment more before stepping back. Plastering a smile on her face she tried hard not to stare dreamily into Connie's beautiful grey eyes.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie took Nyra's hand in hers, and walked to the entrance of the restaurant.

The host there saw the women as they approached, and when Connie stood before him said,
"Ms. Stone, welcome again. Your table is ready. Follow me please."

Connie allowed Nyra to walk before her as they walked through the restaurant to their table. The host indicated they should sit, and the two women went back and forth saying, "No, after you." Both eventually sat simultaneously, eliciting a giggle from Connie. The host stated their server would be over to take orders for drinks; Connie leaned over to Nyra, a flush forming on her face.

Whispering,
"I'm a bit nervous. But I'll try not to be if you aren't."
Nyra 18 years ago
"Nervous? Who me?" Looking down at her hands a moment, she raised her fearfull hazel gaze to Connie's. "I am petrified."

Having not been out on a date in at least six years made Nyra very afraid of screwing up. She took several deep calming breaths, with her eyes closed. When she opened them again she found the other woman's eyes on her. "Well if you wont be nervous, I will try not to be."

Fiddling with her napkin, she placed it over her lap. "Lets just pretend not to be nervous, then maybe it will become a reality?"
Connie 18 years ago
Connie nodded, the scent of nervousness and a hint of fear disippating from Nyra's earthy tinge. With a smile, she agreed.

Reaching under the table carefully, she took gentle hold of Nyra's hand.
"Let's just take it as the night comes, hmm?"

Warm and sincere, she hoped Nyra would calm down just a little. Okay, more than a little.

She looked up as the server appeared - "Dammit, why did Peter have to be on this shift?" and smiled, trying to push the disappointment out of her eyes. "Boy needs to learn to be discreet." Silencing her thoughts - including a tiny one perking its head up saying "Yes, teach him with two fangs to his throat" she instead said out loud,
"Hello Peter. I'll have a glass of water, please, no wine tonight." She looked to Nyra, waiting her order. "I'll let you do the orderin' hon, since I want to sample the restaurant's vegetarian choices, but you probly know better than I what is enjoyable."
Nyra 18 years ago
Flushing with excitement as Connie took her hand it was all she could do to answer her comment about food. Slowly she looked over the menu, wishing for more time. "Water for me as well please. Also could you start us off with crudites and a balsamic dip while I review your selections. Thank you very much Peter"

Smiling up at the apathetic waiter she tried not to let her eyes roll at his display. One soft squeeze to Connie's hands brightened her smile considerably before the returned her attention to her date. Unfortunately the dense waiter stood there writing things down. How Nyra wished she could give him the quizical brow arch and haughty look her grandmother had, that would send him running for the saftey of the kitchen. With a slight wink to her dinner partner she returned her gaze to the menu.

"Do you have to work later tonight? Or can I select a long lavish spread?" Heat raced to her cheeks at the provacative comment that slipped unwittingly from her lips.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie was completely shellshocked by the unexpected, probably unintended double-entendre that flowed so easily from Nyra's lips. So shocked was she, her next words dropped with an embarassing Freudian slip: "I switched with one of the gay dies, I mean, day guys, so I don' go in til eight a.m."

She looked up at Peter who looked like he was pretending he hadn't heard her slip; a smirk tugged at the corner of his lips. Connie looked down at the table, embarassed.

"Go away, Peter, go away..." she chanted quietly to herself.
Nyra 18 years ago
While she was glad that Connie had not taken more of a verbal shot at her comment she felt overwhelming sympathy at the woman's own slip up. They really were both very nervous. Watching her glance up at the still loitering waiter she turned an angry gaze to him.

"Can I expect to get my water sometime tonight?" she asked with a brow arched and a slight sneer on her lips. He hastily walked away mummbling platitudes about "getting right on it ma'am". Oh how she hated the term ma'am! The nerve of that little punk galled her.

She pulled her and Connies linked hands out from underneith the table to rest on top of it. Let the boy try to comment, she would rip his nose off. With a huff she looked at her date
"Can we complain about him to the management? Or shall we just tip him with a nickel?"
Connie 18 years ago
Connie turned an appraising eye to Nyra as Peter disappeared, cowed. "Nice work. He won't be negligen' again, at least not for tonigh'. And no, we should still tip him standard two-bits." Tittering, she felt her heart warm considerably when Nyra set their hands on the table.
Nyra 18 years ago
"I just didnt want him to think that he could smirk at my date." she blushed and turned her attention to the menu. Giggling "Two-bits is probably more than what he's worth."

Having made up her mind on what to order, she returned her attention Connie. The woman looked wonderful in the light blue. It went so well with her complexion and smokey grey eyes. The short bob was pretty but Nyra wished it had more layers to frame her beautiful face. Before she could start wondering what kind of ending the date would have the obnoxious waiter was back.

One small glass with half melted cubes was placed in front of each woman. With a frown at the discourtiousness Nrya pierced him with a look.

"Bring out two larger glasses along with a pitcher of fresh ice cubes and water after you take our order. I personally do not want anything other than water to drink tonight but I do want it fresh and plentiful." She thunked the menues into the boy's arm and began reciting their order.

"We will start with the crudites as soon as you can find time to bring them out. Then a small cup each of the Barley and Mushroom Vegetarian soup. I want two small Organic Greens Salads, with the honey toasted almonds and a light raspberry vinegerette. For the main course we would like to share the Portobello Wellington, no cheese or butter please. Bring that with the roasted new potatoes and baby vegetables. Oh yes, I want a side of the garlic brocolli rabe as well with the main course. We plan on taking our time so I want at least 30 minutes between courses, do not bother us otherwise."

Turning her attention to Connie "Does that sound sufficient to you?" she asked with a smile.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie smiled and nodded. She looked briefly at Nyra, then turned to Peter as he finished writing. "Please make sure you follow her instructions to the letter. She's extremely lactose intolerant and I'd rather see her for a third date at the museum, and not the graveyard, if you get my meanin'. But that would be sufficient, thank you."

Peter's face paled somewhat, and he started writing again briefly before he picked up the menus and water glasses then walked off.

"I couldn't have handled that better mahself. Well, not without blood..." She shook her head and smiled bashfully. "I do usually try to restrain myself, but the Down Home Girl in me sometimes just wantsta smack someone, ya know?"
Nyra 18 years ago
Blushing at the vehemence in Connie's voice as she looked out for her best interests. It was so heartwarming how she cared enough to reconfirm her instructions. She couldn't remember anyone (other than family) going so far out of their way for her. She had to restrain herself from giggling as Peter scurried away, like a scared rat she thought.

"Thank you for the compliment, though I just did not want him smirking at you again. Rude rude boy." Resting her elbow on the table to prop up her chin she smiled at Connie.

"I think you would have handled him fabulously. Though I am a pacifist personally. I cant recall ever hitting anyone in anger. I can see the desire at times in others but I just cant bring myself. Perhaps tonight, at Peter, is the rudest I ever get. I dont really like hurting others, emotionally or physically." She barely paid any attention to what she was saying as her date's accent had her sighing happily, she could listen to it all night.
Connie 18 years ago
Connie watched Nyra's face as she explained her pacifism, and felt a pang of envy. "I grew up aroun' corporal punishment, or at least as corporal as gettin' swatted with a hickory switch can be. I envy your resolve; that - I mean, pacifism - among other things could make the world a much bettah place."

She grinned ruefully. "I wouldn't have dressed like this if I didn't want at least one person looking appraisingly at me." With a wink of her shadowed grey eyes, she looked up as the pitcher and taller glasses appeared in a server's hands - that were not Peter's - and sipped gently from one as she moved the second towards Nyra.
Nyra 18 years ago
Watching as the waiter put the glasses down as well as the pitcher, she smiled at Connie. "It is very much apreciated, dont doubt that."

As the waiter placed a plate of veggies and dip on the table, she leaned back a bit. Thankfully someone other than Peter had brought their appetizer out. It looked amazing and tempting. Strips of bell pepper, carrot, cucumber and cellery were displayed prettily while olives, mushrooms and radishes pearched in the nooks. The dip looked rich and brown like well aged balsamic.

She looked up to see the waiter in a short bow stating their salads would be out in thirty minutes. Raising her hand she stopped him from leaving.
"Please bring our soup prior to salad, if you dont mind."

Turning to Connie she explained herself "Soups are so much more filling than salads. If we enjoy the soup then the salad I am much less apt to overstuff myself on what promises to be a delightfull main course." As the comment slipped out, Nyra blushed for what seemed like the twentith time tonight.

"I have always believed that the strong should be protecting the weaker from harm. But so often they exploit others weaknesses or the weaker people seek to harm the stronger just to get the first shot in. Its all rather confusing."

"I am sorry you had to live with a hickory switch." she gently stroked Connie's hand and wrist in sympathy.

"I was always very different from other people, so when everyone was hitting I was busy drawing. Highschool was odd in that I never slapped at anyone for any reason. I would see girls playfully swatting boys on the arm or rear, but I never understood why they would want to hurt them." Her face reflected this non-comprehension that had plagued her for years.
Connie 18 years ago
Reaching into the plate of veggies, Connie picked up a couple bits of celery and dipped one end. Nibbling on it daintily, she waited til she was done chewing before responding. "Dip is quite nummy! And I know what you mean about not wanting to overfill, but then, that's what leftover bags and fridge-idators are for!"

Giggling at her own bad joke, she continued, waving the partial celery stalk as she spoke, "Unfortunately as women we're often viewed as the 'weaker' of society's members. I've been fighting to make a place for myself ever since I left home. The world is, for better or worse, against women like ourselves tryin' ta make it, tryin' to better herself - ourselves - and be equal with men. Sometimes hittin's the answer; but nine hundred ninety nine times out of a thousan' I'm loathe to strike first. I'd rather talk my way out of a bad situation, but my more-than-slight nervosity combined with a considerable attraction to you has lef' me somewhat tongue-tied."

Connie's hand stopped in mid-wave, and her mouth hung open then closed with a soft snap. "Did I say that out loud? I did! Oh hell." She did her best to remain still, and lowered her hand with the celery to the table, looking at Nyra with trepidation welling up inside her.
Nyra 18 years ago
It was all she could do, not to blush and look down at the table. But Connie's compliment was just too wonderful to disgrace like that. "That has got to be the best compliment anyone has ever given me. Thank you."

Deliberately she picked up a radish, dabbed it into the dip then bit it cleanly in half. She offered up the remainder to Connie, as she had last night with the berry.
Connie 18 years ago
The half-radish held confidently between Nyra's fingers taunted her. "Behave. Behave. Behave. Stop looking for dripping dip and behave." Connie kept her eyes on Nyra as she leaned to take the radish carefully in her mouth, and shivered as her lips slid gently against Nyra's fingertips. She chewed as quietly as possible (or as quietly as she could considering the radish was raw) and swallowed.

She picked up an olive between her own fingers - rather large for a black olive - and swished it in the colorful little container of dip, gathering some into the hole. A tiny blob of dip stuck to her fingertip, unnoticed by Connie. She held it out similarly for Nyra.
Nyra 18 years ago
Offering had been steamy but receiving would be decadant. The olive was soaked in the delectable dip. Nyra watched as a single drip slowly ran down Connie's fingertip.

Leaning forward she gently nipped the olive from the other woman's fingers, licking the drip up slowly. Her lips softly sucking at Connie's fingertips. With a last flick of her tongue against those soft fingers she sat back and delicately chewed her morsel.

"You know, they may kick us out for such decadance."
Connie 18 years ago
Connie's breath became shallow as her heartrate picked up; Nyra's simple, cleansing act made her want to call "check please" and have the food boxed and carried to her room... While Connie herself carried this amazing woman to her bed.

Amazing. That simple and yet incredibly complex adjective kept popping up in her mind when she thought of nice things to modify the rather boring "that woman" thoughts. But with Nyra... how could they be boring?

"There aren't any other diners within five tables, hon, and you gave us enough leeway with yer thirty minute courses to just about do anything we want."

Crooking a half smile, filled with more than a little mischief, Connie leaned forward a bit and whispered quietly, "I want more of those radishes. Please." Her eyes sparkled.
Nyra 18 years ago
Breathing harder, Nyra picked up another radish and swirled it again in the dip before taking a bite out of it and offering it to her date. Somehow this had turned into something much more sensual than a mere sharing of food. How was she going to make it through all those courses she had ordered?

"I generally prefer my radish's lightly salted but this way seems to be much better."

Eying the tray again, she said in a breathy voice "I wouldnt mind a mushroom next, you?"