Behind the Curtain (Private)

The destination Mai led the two men to was clear enough, and Thaddeus looked over his shoulder at Alfarinn as they walked down the hall to explain.

[We can meet in my quarters.]

They arrived as one at the dark wood door, and Thaddeus pulled his key from his jacket pocket to unlock it. Taking one last look around, he beckoned his two companions to enter and followed after them. He sat down on the bench in his foyer more by force of habit than conscious thought and spoke softly as he removed his shoes.

Thank you, Mai. We have more news with regard to our mission; I did not think it wise to speak of it openly. He looked up at Alfarinn, realizing that he was forgetting his manners. He was so comfortable in his quarters that it was easy to forget that this was his companion's first visit. Welcome to my small piece of the Manor, Alfarinn.

He stood and tucked his shoes under the bench before moving to the white curtain that separated the foyer from his office.

We can talk in here.

Thaddeus remembered as he beckoned the two inside that Alfarinn had, indirectly anyway, seen at least parts of his quarters before.

[The desk may look...familiar.]

He tried to sound at least a little contrite, as it seemed proper, but did not think he quite managed it.

Mai 18 years ago
Mai walked in to the foyer and slid off her shoes, placing them under the bench along with Thaddeus's. She found it proper anyway and always thought that it was most interesting that her Ba-di made such practical sense in even these small things.

Moving past Thaddeus, Mai walked into the office and knelt on the floor. The deep lush rug felt good on her knees and she absently ran a hand through it as she watched the other two men in the room.

Mai decided they looked good together. Of course, she had come to that conclusion long ago. Watching them stand in the museum speaking to each other, both polite and intelligent, she noticed then that they seemed drawn to each other as they spoke, able to push each other's ideas further and from their discussion in the vehicle, they had a growing respect for one another. It was something easy to notice when you silently watched. To her it seemed obvious that they needed each other and that they were a perfect match, like two sides of the same blade. She smiled quietly to herself as she waited for Thaddeus to tell his news.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn sat on the bench next to Thaddeus and removed his shoes, putting them away before following his companion further into the suite. He smiled as he looked around, the space seemed the perfect extension of his companion, there was quality, practicality and comfort here. Books were neatly arranged on shelves and everything had its place, he noticed the rich thick rug that Mai now knelt on and was not surprised to see this subtle evidence of his lover's sensual nature.

Of course, he couldn't help but notice the desk and the image that Thaddeus had sent him earlier was brought vividly to mind once more, actually causing him to blush slightly. He hid his faint grin under a fall of hair but then Thaddeus sent to him and it would seem that either his thoughts had been obvious or his companion's thoughts had also turned to the same place.

[ Yes...I believe it does...] Alfarinn felt the blush deepen and his smile widen. He looked up at his companion and winked before taking a chair. [ Perhaps you can give me a more thorough tour later.]
Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
The corner of Thaddeus's mouth twitched up ever so slightly at the suggestion of a more complete tour, though he did his very best to keep from thinking of his shower. Instead, he took the second white chair and rested his elbows on his knees, looking down at Mai.

[I would be glad to show you around.]

He spoke softly but bluntly, trying to keep to the relevant facts of the matter.

In our search for Emma's murderer we met with a man named Simon Huntington, of Tacharan. He came to know about the ring through Ellis, and connected Alfarinn and I to it through a chance meeting in the sewers. When an associate of his requested his assistance in locating the ring, he approached us with the information.

We decided to extend some measure of trust, and Simon told us some things of importance.

We believe this associate, known as The Wolf, is one of the men responsible for Emma's death. We believe he wants not the ring itself, but the ring's holder. We plan to use the ring to follow The Wolf's movements and hope that he leads us to his accomplice, who is at this time unknown.

This plan carries a measure of risk. He may choose to pursue me instead of leading us to his accomplice. We are as well prepared for that eventuality as we can be, but The Wolf is a dangerous vampire.

For that reason he pulled a heavy envelope out of his pocket I have given a full accounting of everything regarding the ring, including Simon and Alfarinn's involvement in our search. Should anything happen to me, Anantya -must- know that those two men are not responsible, and the fault lies with The Wolf.

He set the envelope on the table between the two chairs. Mai could take it and keep it with her if she wished, but it would be safe enough there. He then turned to Alfarinn, raising one eyebrow. He had carefully planned out everything he needed to say to Mai and do during his visit to the Manor, but it had been a long night and he was feeling the stress of it.

Did I leave anything out?
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn listened to Thaddeus's explanation quietly, doing his best to keep his emotions in check at the mention of the Wolf and of the possibility of this mad man coming after Thaddeus before they could get to him first. Even though he knew this plan was for the best if they were ever going to find the second person involved in the crime and even though he knew that Thaddeus would not be safe until this other man was found, he could not help but feel anxious about using the man sitting next to him as bait. It was all Alfarinn could do not to say that he should hide while the Wolf was found and contained much less continue to aid in the events that were rapidly placing Thaddeus in more danger. He knew his companion had his pride and no small amount of courage, there was no way he could ever convince Thaddeus to not be involved no more than he could be convinced to do the same under similar circumstances. It was selfishness and worry on his part that wanted to keep his companion from harm but he pushed it aside and focused on the great deal of pride he felt in Thaddeus for his calm strength through the ordeal.

When Thaddeus was done and turned to ask him if there was anything that needed to be added, Alfarinn nodded feeling Mai should know another fact about the Wolf, the reason he was sitting here in the Manor despite their original intentions of keeping their association a secret until this was over.

"I think you've covered it very well but there is one thing that I feel it is important to mention. Simon also told us that the Wolf was Anantya."

Alfarinn turned back to his companion, watching him with sombre grey eyes. He longed to put his arms around Thaddeus, to give him whatever small amount of comfort was possible and hoped that the present situation would be over quickly so that he could do just that.

[Are you alright? ]
Mai 18 years ago
Thaddeus told her the information they had found since she had seen them last. Mai nodded slightly in understanding. The Wolf, he was not entirely unknown to the Order of the Hunt. Someone of his nature, in many ways close to their own, would be noticed. His trail had been spotted here and there. He had never been of much interest to Mai, he was a lone Wolf and not of use to the Clan.

She looked at Alfarinn calmly and nodded to his addition in the information as well. It did not matter what clan brought him into being, she knew he didn't spend time with any of them. That he was from Anantya confirmed that he did not consider them his family, certainly he would be in her Order and yet she had never seen or heard of him becoming a part of it.

She knew that he hunted his own kind, Mai figured this was because there was little else to challenge his hunter's nature. It was not an honorable path that he had chosen but it had not, until now, been her concern. She wondered why he chose Emma as prey so long ago but it would seem from their mention of a second man that the Wolf was merely a hunting dog for someone else. He was now after her Ba-di though and that made him her prey. His existence would come to an end when she found him, of this she was certain.

"Fukusui bon ni kaerazu" Mai said quietly.

Standing up, she moved to the table and picked up the envelope and put it in her kimono. Tilting her head sideways to regard Thaddeus a moment, she said.

"You are wise to be prepared, Thaddeus-san, but it will not be necessary."

There was now a trail to follow and a purpose for the hunter, She bowed to both of them before turning and leaving the room quietly. It is said that every man makes mistakes, that is so, these mistakes will cost a man his life.

((OOC: Mai out. What she said basically is Spilled water from a cup will never return to the tray ))
Thaddeus nodded at Alfarinn's statement, appreciating his careful phrasing, and reminded himself to check the library for records of a Lykaios in the Anantya lineage. He was not certain it mattered, but then again it might, and it would ease his mind. He was confident in his knowledge of Anantya bloodlines, and the thought that he had missed something significant nagged at him.

Mai's somewhat ambiguous statement, though, gave him pause. Perhaps he should be focused on the present, on doing what was necessary rather than dwelling matters of lineage that would change little. Even so, they were near enough to the source of information to have a look, and he thought it would do no harm as long as he kept the correct mindset.

He watched Mai pass through the white curtain and out of his quarters in silence; though he wondered if he should have said more, something about her words stilled him. He had expected her to take the news with her usual calm, but something about her carriage spoke of more beneath the surface, like the flash of a sharp blade behind a tranquil mist. He knew Mai was tough as steel, but that glint was something he rarely saw.

He put his head in his hands for a moment before pushing up on his elbows to lean on the back of the chair.

Yes, I am fine.

The reply was honest enough; Mai's presence eased him even as her words silenced the arguments in his mind. He had asserted to himself many times that his measures would not be needed, but somehow Mai declaring the same made the thought more true. Furthermore, speaking about the situation openly, facing the facts, made things somehow easier to bear.

It is something of a relief to have that matter done. Thank you for remembering...Thaddeus frowned...I did not omit that information intentionally. I suppose I was bound to forget some detail of significance.

His frown did not go away; he should have kept Simon's statement at the forefront of his mind, and did not like the fact that it had slipped away from him. As unpleasant as it was to think about, he -had- to remain aware of that possibility.

He stood and approached Alfarinn, offering his hand.

Care for that tour now? There is one more thing I would like to check while we are here, but we have a moment.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn stood up and pulled Thaddeus into his arms. In all honestly he couldn't say who would be more comforted by the gesture but he hoped his companion got the same sense of momentary security from it as he did.

Running the backs of his fingers gently down Thaddeus's cheek, he said.

"Yes, you are." He smiled. "Quite fine, very handsome as a matter of fact."

He held him a moment more and then said. "Don't be so hard on yourself. You could not have remembered everything easily in one telling. That is why its much better to have a partner, don't you think?" Smiling a bit, he commented with a saintly air. "It is my solemn duty to keep you out of trouble." Alfarinn couldn't keep the grin gone for very long and added. "Unless it is trouble of my making... which should keep you plenty occupied as it is."

Pulling back enough to regard his companion, he turned serious.

"You always make me proud of you, Thaddeus, beyond words." Alfarinn leaned in, kissing his lover tenderly once before anything more was said. With a small sigh of pleasure, he answered the question he'd been asked.

"Absolutely, if you're up for showing me around."
At Alfarinn's embrace tension he did not know he carried fell from his shoulders. He rested his head on his companion's shoulder and was half tempted to run his fingers through the other man's hair, but refrained in a noble demonstration of self discipline. Instead, he wrapped his arms around Alfarinn and closed his eyes at the feel of fingers brushing his cheek.

He chuckled at the 'handsome' comment, too content with being held to work up a modest protest. And normally he would have argued that he -needed- to be hard on himself, needed to keep that edge, needed to be his harshest critic...but at the moment it was Alfarinn that he needed, and he found he was quite alright with that.

At last, though, Alfarinn managed to provoke a response other than a content sigh. He looked up at the Evenhet, grinning.

And here I thought keeping trouble at bay was -my- solemn duty. I must not be as good of an influence as we suspected.

His grin softened at Alfarinn's next comment, though he found he did not know quite what to say in response. Fortunately, his companion chose that moment to kiss him, and Thaddeus was more than pleased to return in kind.

It would be my pleasure.

He took Alfarinn's hand in his own and led them to the spiral staircase that led to his living area, but before he could step foot on the stairs, a low beep followed by a voice interrupted the "tour."Â?

'Thaddeus Grey?'

Thaddeus frowned and looked up at Alfarinn apologetically, then approached the intercom mounted to the wall. He pressed the appropriate button and confirmed his presence.

Thaddeus Grey speaking.

There was a pause, and Thaddeus had time to wonder if this was some sort of joke before the butler spoke clearly again.

'A Simon Huntington is here to see you.'

He pressed down the button to respond, then pulled back again when he realized what the Butler had said. His first inclination was to ask what in the -hell- Simon was doing at the Manor, especially alone. Instead, he paused for one blank moment before pressing the intercom button again.

Let him in. I will meet him at the door.

Another pause, then the Butler responded quickly.

Very good then.

Thaddeus frowned at the unsolicited input, but let he matter drop. There were larger matters at stake here, after all; it was risky for Simon to come here for all concerned, and the Tacharan should -know- better.

He turned back to Alfarinn, regrettably.

It seems this will have to wait for another time. I -do- wonder what on earth that man is thinking, though I suppose we will know soon enough.

He realized that Alfarinn could likely tell how unnerved he was in spite of his fairly collected words, but saw little help for it. Really, why would Simon arrive at the Manor unannounced? Why not simply call? How had he known where he was?

In any case, we had best meet Simon before he is intercepted by someone less understanding.
Alfarinn 18 years ago
Alfarinn smiled and corrected the statement as he followed Thaddeus.

"No, you're to keep me out of trouble, Mister Good Influence. I think that is a full time job, we can't have you responsible for keeping all trouble at bay. "

His grin faltered at the intercom and he wondered if this was finally someone about to take issue with Thaddeus bringing an Evenhet home for dinner. When the voice responded that Simon was here to see Thaddeus Alfarinn was shocked. Had the Tacharan lost his mind? Evenhet was a recognized clan at the very least and while he doubted anyone would be so careless as to treat this particular Tacharan as no one of important, he was still considered clanless by Anantya. That did not afford him a lot of protection. Of course messing with Simon would bring down the wrath of Ellis upon them, the elders of Anantya would likely think twice before deciding such a thing was worth the consequences but that did not stop younger clan members from seeing this as an opportunity that had just walked up onto their very doorstep.

"There is either something very bad going on or Simon has lost his last marble." He frowned thoughtfully. "It would take something serious for that to happen so it is quite possibly both."

He nodded his agreement at quickly going to meet the Tacharan. Alfarinn wondered briefly whether he should have the limo come and pick them up so that the three had somewhere reasonably secure and private to speak from but decided that this was not his territory and to follow Thaddeus's lead.
Thaddeus nodded his head, growing more anxious at this turn of events by the moment, and passed through the curtain separating the office from the foyer. Pausing briefly to shove his feet into his shoes and allow his companion to do the same, he opened the dark wood door for Alfarinn, and together they walked out into the halls of the Manor.

[This could go badly; we need to get this situation contained, and quickly.]

He thought with an odd calm that he was beginning to develop quite a penchant for understatement.

/ooc out