Mondays suck...

After a short argument with the on duty garage supervisor, she convinced him that yes she fully intended to drive her own vehicle in the line of duty. She'd hated driving the beat up piece of junk they tried to call an unmarked car back in Vegas. She'd be damned if she was going to do the same here when she had her own car. Giving him a curt nod, she put her keys on the pull chain at her waist. She punched the elevator for the first floor and stepped inside, her stomach lurching just a bit as the metal box lifted her the short distance.

Rene stepped out of the elevator and a few short strides landed her in front of the dispatcher. She smiled at the short woman behind the desk, who though she seemed to be in her fifties, still had brilliant red hair wrapped tight into a bun atop her head. Looking up from her computer, Officer Edna Fitzgerald smiled as if it came quite naturally. Rene leaned in just a bit and read her name tag.

"Officer Fitzgerald, I'm Rene O'Brian. I've been assigned to Homicide, and they told me to check in with you first."

The elder woman leaned forward as well, in an almost conspiratorial whisper. "Sweetie, no one calls me anyt'ing but Edna 'round here. Well, a' least to me face. I believe I've heard a few whispers of other less flatterin' phrases, but we won't be dwellin' on those," she quipped with a saucy little wink before leaning back into her chair. "Now then, did no one tell ya to wait til tomorrow to come in, girl?" Her Irish brogue was thick as could be, those grass green eyes twinkling.

Rene's brow furrowed as she tried to remember who she had spoken to when she'd finally arrived last week. "I swear Hannigan said to get my a..." she paused, biting her tongue. "Uhm, to get to work today, that is."

"Hannigan ya say? Hmmm, I'm guessin' he pro'ly wanted ta see if ya'd realize what today be," she chuckled pointing to the calendar hanging behind her. Squinting just a bit, Rene looked at the date. Sure, it was a Monday, good day to start the work week and all that. It also happened to be the Fourth of July. "There's only a bare skeleton crew on staff today, other than the uniforms out gettin' ready for tonight's festivities. Why don' ya go on out and have a look around town? But tonight make sure ya head to Vesper Gardens. Then tomorrow, ya come on back and see me again," she shook her head smiling, already returning her attention back to the computer.

Rene offered a weak smile then turned away to head back for the elevator. Well, at least she could have some fun tonight. Meanwhile, a little shopping never hurt anyone. That thought in mind, she headed back down to her car and out into town to see about getting something suitable for lounging around watching fireworks.