A Taste of Truth (attn: Evgeni, Jan)

Julian was not particularly enjoying his recovery. He had said goodbye to Tavi earlier that morning, very reluctantly. To his chagrin he had woken up to discover he was not, in fact, adequately rested to enjoy her company physically. Everything had hurt, and rather than spending a little leisurely time loving her again he'd immediately taken a painkiller after barely managing to stagger into the bathroom and back. It was pretty sad, but she had seemed to understand and even sympathize. He still felt woefully inadequate.

After she'd gone, he had slept some more. He hadn't woken up until about noon when he'd called his parents and checked in on them, acting completely normal. He didn't want them to know any of what had happened. He'd also called work and actually spoken to the Director, who had been concerned for him. Two accidents in the space of a couple months, first his shoulder and now his head and wrist. At least he had doctor's notes accounting for the injuries and proving he'd been innocent of any wrongdoing in all cases, or his job might have been in jeopardy. He sounded sufficiently fuzzy, though, that he was told to go straight back to bed and not worry about a thing until the following week.

He'd napped again after that, and in the afternoon he'd managed to eat something. Then Julian, bored and tired of being tired, had done what he was expressly forbidden by the doctor to do and picked up his violin. To his disappointment he discovered two days was not long enough for his wrist to heal to the point where he could grip the bow. He'd managed to scratch out a few simple scales before giving up. Video games were out of the question. He couldn't even fathom trying to read a book. So he returned to his day bed, turned the TV on, and watched and dozed until the sun went down.

Jan had said he'd return with Evgeni and Julian knew both of them well enough to know they never went anywhere until it was dark, not an uncommon schedule for a musician. Julian's was much the same, save some rehearsals and a few afternoon performances. For someone who hated to sleep, though, his current predicament was particularly frustrating. And he'd been told to rest for two weeks. How was he going to survive two weeks if two days was driving him crazy? Maybe tomorrow he could go to rehearsal and at least sit in on it. Surely showing up would be a good thing.

Finally there was a noise at the door and the chime of his phone from Jan telling him they were the ones out front. Julian appreciated that; they knew he'd been alone during the day and he would have been reluctant to open the door not knowing who was there, even if he was expecting his friends. Knowing he looked rumpled and unkempt and his studio was a little bit messier than he liked it in spite of his half-hearted efforts to keep it neat, he went to the door and opened it to let them in.

"I'm glad you came," he said with a weary smile, surprised he could still be tired after having spent most of the day sleeping.

Evgeni 10 years ago
He was nervous but he tried not to show it. Evgeni wasn't sure how good of a job he was going though because Jan had been silently nice since they awoke. Not that Jan was ever mean but his clan mate wasn't the most attentative and affectionate of people. Normally that was fine with him since he tended to be the same way.

However, tonight the silent support was very nice. Now, as they stood in front of Julian's door, Jan's hand was in his own. The singer didn't say everything would be okay and that Julian would take the news in a calm and rational manner with the end result being that their human friend was willing to trust them and remain their friend once he found out the truth.

Jan's hand in his silently said 'I will be with you no matter what happens' and that was more truthful and more comforting than empty promises.

Because Julian had every right to not be okay with the truth of their existence. It was a vampire and her drama that got him kidnapped and tortured. Val being a vampire and even one of their own clan seemed to condemn them both in some way. All monsters were monsters right?

Maybe Julian could be convinced that they were not all the same but could he trust them again? Would he want to have nothing more to do with them?

Jan suggested that they didn't need to mention any of this now and that Julian could have a few months to recover, maybe longer. Evgeni disagreed. Julian deserved the truth.

Besides, Julian had seen his blood red eyes and there was very little explanation for those. Tonight he had his brown contacts in place as he quietly knocked on the door while Jan texted their friend.

"Good evening. How is head? Better, yes?" He considered Julian carefully for a long moment before deciding that his friend looked much improved. There was no matted blood, dirty clothing, dark circles and scruffy facial hair to proclaim Julian's distress for starters and that improved things almost one hundred percent.

Sliding inside the room, he and Jan took seats on one side of the day bed. Evgeni cut straight to the point of their visit, well the other point besides making certain that Julian was okay.
"There is something important to say. Please sit."

((OOC: skip Jan for now. ))
Julian Stephenson 10 years ago
Julian stood aside to let his friends in and then closed and locked the door behind them. He shrugged when Evgeni asked how his head was. "It's getting better. They said to give it time. It still hurts like a bitch but it sort of comes and goes and the painkillers help."

Jan and Evgeni seated themselves on the day bed and Julian followed suit, since it seemed like the customary small talk and offer of drinks would have to wait. He had to wonder what it was Evgeni wanted to say. He knew it had to do with everything that had happened, and hundreds of explanations and stories had echoed through his head while he lay around with nothing to but recover.

First and foremost, he wanted to know how it was that Evgeni, of all people, had shown up to rescue him with Val. Obviously he knew something about her and the people she was being harrassed by, but what? And how?

Even more ambiguous was the question of how and why he'd dreamed of Evgeni. Dreamed things that had come to pass. Julian didn't believe in psychics, at least not as advertised on TV. But that only made it more difficult, as he wasn't prone to hallucinating things that then came to pass. He had spoken to Evgeni. He had told him what had happened to him, and Evgeni had shown up as he'd said he would, and he had not imagined it. Julian had gone through too much physical and emotional trauma in his life to suspect himself of being delusional. There had been times when he had thought he'd heard Andy's voice or seen her in a crowd and those times had passed. He knew what they felt like, and it wasn't what he'd experienced while being held hostage.

So, whatever had happened between them had been something real. It was the only possible explanation. Julian was ready to listen, curious and a little nervous. He gathered his light throw blanket to himself and curled his long legs beneath him, nodding to Evgeni.

"Go ahead," he said, his voice clearly conveying his interest. He was careful to modulate his tone to make it obvious he was in a positive frame of mind. Whatever Evgeni had to say, his friend had come to his aid. He could be the founder of the Psychic Hotline and Julian would be all right with it.
Evgeni 10 years ago
Evgeni sighed softly and started from the most basic of truths that they needed to explain. He and Jan had discussed it before coming and his clan mate was willing to also explain what he was. That was good because Jan's abilities were more showy than his own. "We are vampires."

He held up his hand to stop any objections that might come. [/i] "It is not like television and movies but very real and very carefully hidden." There were plenty of people who knew the truth but for all those who knew and were not friendly there were many more who were sympathetic to vampire kind. The latter group, along with vampires themselves, did a great job of keeping their race hidden from the majority of the human populace.

"You have seen my eyes." Evgeni slid a contact aside with one finger to show the blood red reality of his irises. "And you have seen me in your dreams, yes?"

The answer to that was obviously yes. "I am having ability called Dream Walking. It is good thing, otherwise I do not sleep so well." He shrugged and continued; he could explain more about that later. "When you did not show for practice I searched for your dreams. That is how we know what happened. From you."

Jan nodded. "And then we found Val and Evgeni threatened to find you with or without her help." He chuckled and leaned forward to Julian. "In her face, like this. Crazy Russian."

"Not crazy. Angry. Woman was not being helpful." He turned to look at Julian. "I am trusting that we can be assured that you will stay away from her in future..."
Julian blinked when Evgeni spoke again. 'We're vampires' was not what he'd been expecting to hear. Jan and Evgeni didn't seem like Twilight junkies or anything. Evgeni held up his hand, forestalling anything Julian might have said, and Julian just nodded again and let Evgeni speak. This was clearly a serious matter for them both.

When Evgeni slid his contacts aside Julian peered closer. He knew Evgeni wore contacts; you could see the little rim of it against the white of his eyes. But when he'd seen red eyes before, he had just assumed they were red lenses. They came in all colors and even patterns now. He hadn't for a moment thought it was actually the color of Evgeni's eyes. But he couldn't deny that he had communicated to Evgeni in his dreams, so he jerked a short nod to confirm what he had known.

The story continued, brief but clear. Julian only had more questions. He listened quietly, processing everything. He could not reject anything his friends said out of hand just because he had never known it to be true. In another life Julian might have done so, but his own experiences had taught him to believe in what was before him. Months of therapy after his sister's death had taught him to be patient with himself and with others, and whether or not he understood what Evgeni and Jan were saying, he wasn't - he couldn't - mock them or doubt them. He simply worked with what he was given.

"You found Val," he repeated. Then he shook his head slowly, solemnly. "I don't want anything to do with her, or her messed up mafia family."

Val had gotten him in enough trouble already. Besides, there was Tavi to think about. A woman who was so vastly different yet just as, or even more, intriguing. Julian toyed with the corner of the blanket he was holding on his lap. Then he looked up at his friends.

"I assume this was what you came here to say? Or was there more?"

His tone was even, level, still with a hint of interest and curiosity. Inside, he was biting back a billion questions. Foremost in his mind, though, was that whatever he was, Evgeni's dream visitation had saved his ass. It was the thing that had stuck out during this whole ordeal, beyond the pain, the torture, the fear. It had been his only shred of hope and it had come through for him. Evgeni had come through for him and so had Jan, apparently, although Julian hadn't realized at the time that Jan had been involved. He wouldn't repay that with skepticism. He would listen, and he would process, like he always did.
Evgeni 10 years ago
Evgeni smiled. "Is good. I do not think we will fool anyone again. Even with Jan's help." He waved a hand at his clan mate, who had mentioned his own outrage and assertion that they were going to free Julian but had not mentioned his own very vital part in that goal.

"This person wanted another person. Someone with information." He shrugged slightly to say he didn't know the details himeslf. "Jan is having ability to disguise himself, a little." The limitations on glamour were great but luckily there was only one person that Jan needed to fool at the exchange spot. "Val was not willing to give other person for you." Again he shrugged, not entirely sure why that was so important and who the familiar belonged to. "He took place." Evgeni nodded back toward their companion. "And then he and friend made sure that Jan escaped. I am not thinking that will work a second time."

Jan simply smiled and shrugged himself. "Probably not. And this crazy guy definitely knows he has been duped." He frowned. "I can ask Val to keep us informed if you want. That way we might have some warning before thugs show up at your door." Julian obviously wasnt valuable for information but he was also shown to be at least of some value to Val and then there was the fact that he got away from Asa and their exchange was never real. That might cause retalliation. In fact it seemed more likely than not unless the guy was too busy focused elsewhere.

Evgeni nodded in answer to Julian's question.
"Yes, we wanted to tell you the truth. Was important that you know." There was some obvious questions that needed to be answered and not just about the reality of vampires.

"You have questions, yes?"
Julian continued to listen, glancing at Jan when Evgeni revealed his part in the whole thing. He hadn't known until now why he'd been held or really even how he'd gotten away. It smarted that Val hadn't been willing to trade who she had for Julian. He was already angered and hurt by her apparent indifference. He thought they were friends though. At the least, he'd thought they'd been friends.

He shoved the bitterness of betrayal back down; it was done with. One thing he had had to learn with all that therapy was that he couldn't change the past. He was here now, alive and healing, and his anger toward Val wouldn't help him. He would simply disassociate from her, and let it be enough.

When Evgeni asked him if he had questions Julian turned to Jan.
"Thank you," he said, trying to keep his voice level still even though it shook slightly with the impact of everything he was trying to absorb. "I didn't realize you had put yourself in danger for me. Thank you both, for my life. I hope... I mean... I wanted it to be done with. I hope there are no thugs at my door."

He did look at the door as if afraid it might bust in any time, but he forced himself to relax. Evgeni and Jan were here now. There was no need to worry about it, at this point in time. Looking down at the cast on his wrist, he toyed a little bit with the gauze lining that peeked out from the fiberglass. He took a deep breath and lifted his shoulders.

"What do people usually ask at this point?" He asked in return, offering them a wry smile. He continued, then, since it was kind of (almost) rhetorical. "How did you manage to find Val?"

That question had struck him when Evgeni and Jan were explaining.
"Did you find her like you found me? In dreams?"

He wanted to know so much more than that but maybe it was best to go with the basics and work his way up to the more fantastic idea, the one that said he was sharing his day bed with two mythical creatures. But they were still his friends. It was hard to see Jan or Evgeni any other way after all they'd done for him. After all, they had helped him. He had killed his own sister. Who was the worst person out of the three of them?

He squashed that thought too, surprised it had surfaced. He had come to terms with his past. Thinking that way now only drove home to him the fact that, while he usually took surprises well, he was still rattled.
Jan 10 years ago
Jan waved a hand in a dismissive gesture. "That is what friends are for and all that besides I am very good at getting out of trouble and my friend was watching me the whole time.” He nodded about the thugs coming to potentially seek revenge on Julian for his escape.

"I will see what Val knows and we will do our best to keep you safe.” There was no point in changing residences when they knew what Julian did for a living. The only possible safety was to deal with the problem or convince Julian that he was safer elsewhere. Which he might not be. If they had anything of Julian's and had a vampire able to track then they could find him and he wouldn't be surrounded by vampires and a werewolf interested in his well being.

"I like the new girl.” Jan gave Julian two thumbs up. "Cute and uhm...” He rubbed the back of his head as if remembering being knocked to the floor. "spirited.”

Julian asked what people normally asked at this point in the finding out that vampires really existed. Jan rolled his eyes skyward as if looking at a mental list. "Let's see, Do we sparkle in the daylight?”

"Only if being on fire counts as 'sparkle', da?” Evgeni smiled and shook his head at Julian. "There is no sparkling. We do not wish to sparkle.”

"Agreed.” Jan continued on. "Do we drink blood. Yes. Will animal blood do? If its the last drink on earth then I suppose. Do we have to kill people? No. I mean really if we killed people every time we drank then people would know about us because there would be a lot of unexplained blood drained bodies. Do we burn if sprinkled with holy water? Can we be repelled by crosses or garlic? No. Is it one of those large stone Celtic crosses littering the Irish countryside and is someone throwing it at us? If not then no, if so then probably. Garlic, not so much.”

Scratching his head, he considered. "Do we sleep in coffins? Why when a waterbed is more fun? Does a vampire bite a person three times and they become a vampire? Or once or insert number of bites here. No, being bitten by a vampire does not turn you into a vampire.”

"Are we stronger? Yes. Faster, absolutely. Do we regenerate? Yep, but only what we had when we are made a vampire.” Jan turned around and slid up his shirt, showing the long silvery lines of old scars criss-crossing his back. "What we had as a human stays with us so a one eyed human would be a one eyed vampire.”

Turning back around, he looked from Julian to Evgeni. "Did that cover most of it?”

Oh, Julian asked about finding Val. "I knew Val from before. We met at a club.” Evgeni nodded and added that he had to have met someone before he could enter their dreams and he had never met Val before this situation.

((OOC: This time skip Evgeni ))
Julian just murmured, "Thanks," when Jan said they were going to be watching out for him. He was still sort of shell-shocked when his friend then gave him the thumbs-up over Tavi, and Julian blinked. "Uh. She is."

He managed a smile and a nod, his mind reeling from all the information he was trying to get past. It continued to come at him in the form of a very interesting confirmation and dispelling of common vampire myths. It was about that time that Julian realized that what Evgeni and Jan were saying was real, or at least they believed it to be real. He checked himself; did he not believe them?

Of course he believed them. It was just - incredible.

Jan raised his shirt, showing Julian the scars on his back. Julian bit his lip, wincing in sympathy.
"What did that?" He glanced up at his friend, as if apologizing for the personal question.

It wasn't hard to let his mind wander over that ground; he looked at the scars on his left hand and raised that hand to gently touch his face. If he were a vampire, then, he would be just as scarred as he was now. Even being undead wouldn't fix it. Were they undead?

Jan mentioned meeting Val before and Evgeni said he hadn't known her enough to visit her dreams. That sounded reasonable enough to Julian, who had to take them at their word - why wouldn't he? He leaned the side of his head against the wall the day bed rested against.

"Well this is... enlightening," he said slowly, a soft smile on his lips. "Thank you for telling me about - everything."

He could have, and probably would have, eventually written it off as some sort of delusion brought on by stress. He might have, in time, ceased to wonder how Evgeni had come to be there to save him. Maybe. It was nice to know he hadn't been going crazy though. And it was surreal to think his friends, the people he hung out with on a regular basis, were vampires. Seriously, vampires.

Julian sighed and laughed softly, shaking his head slowly.
"Nothing is ever simple," he said with a wry grin. "So, what else is there? Are you undead? Are you born? Do you die? Turn into bats? Mist?"

The questions could probably just keep coming. Some were likely dumber than others. But if Julian was going to ride this wagon he wanted to be all the way on it. There was no point asking if his friends were a danger to him; he wasn't a complete idiot. But he was intensely curious and, oddly, not afraid although he probably should be.
Jan 10 years ago
Jan answered Julian's question about the scars with an even tone, nightmares of their maker long since passed and gone. "A riding crop." He gave the rest of the story since it might actually help paint a more varied picture of vampires. "Not domestic violence or anything. I would have to have a domestic in order to have violence in it." He smiled crookedly. "I was employed by an inn keeper to sing for his patrons and to also pick their pockets as I moved through the crowd." Jan held up Evgeni's watch for the both of them, having stolen just after deciding to tell his tale. "I was pretty good at both. The inn keeper let me stay and gave me room and board so long as the thefts were not traced back to me. One night I picked the pocket of the wrong wealthy traveller."[i] Jan looked from Julian to Evgeni and nodded toward his clan mate. "A vampire. He caught me. The inn keeper had to throw me out and feign outrage at my audacity. I had only been caught once before and he beat me badly for it so I knew what was coming. I hurried to my room and tried to pack the few belongings that I had but before I could leave he stopped me." Jan didn't go into details but his back was a testimony to it not being pretty. "I was dying by the time Simon got there and killed the man. He made me what I am today." He held out his hands to the side of himself and wiggled his fingers. "Incredibly awesome."

"Anyway, it was definitely time for relocation."

Julian asked about bats and mists and such. Jan shook his head. "Not us. Some of the older vampire clans do that sort of thing but we don't." He held up his finger. "I do this." He pointed to a book on the table nearby and lifted it up with his telekinesis and floated it over to Julian. "I can also create illusions...which I can show you some time if you want. It was how I fooled Asa's lackey." The other thing he could do was contort but that didn't look nearly as cool or supernatural.

"You've seen one of Evgeni's tricks." Jan pointed to his head and then made little walking gestures with his fingers.

"I am also very difficult to kill." Evgeni smiled. "even more than usual vampire."

Jan knew that Evgeni's other ability wasn't one that was noy easily shown but it could actually save Julian's life in the future. Of course that drastic step might only be needed if Asa was still on the loose and after Julian.

"We were human at one time so we are...born?" Jan shrugged. "But we are made when a vampire drains us to death and then gives his blood to us in return. Some say we are 'undead' and some say we are just different." It was a long debate that tended to get very boring.

"Anything else?"
Jan leaned back against Evgeni and watched Julian.
"I hope you know we wouldn't hurt you. We aren't fattening you up like Hansel and Gretel or anything just to bite you later." He then leaned over and picked up Julian's left arm, pinching it gently and squeezing it a little. "though he's coming along nicely." Jan said over his shoulder to Evgeni who just rolled his eyes in response.
Jan's story had filled him with a sort of morbid fascination and he'd listened with wide eyes. Part of him was angry at the man who'd beaten Jan but he realized this must have been long ago and that person was long gone. There was no sense in being angry about it, but he didn't think anyone should have to go through such a thing. He wasn't naive though; he knew it happened.

It was when Jan lifted a book from the table and made it float toward him that Julian really felt the floor drop out from beneath him. The room spun and he caught his breath, reaching his good hand out to gingerly touch it. It gave a little, but stayed where it was until he took it gingerly, then it stopped floating and simply became a book again. Julian swallowed hard.

"So how old are you, exactly?" he glanced from one to the other. They both looked barely able to buy beer. Maybe not even that old, in Jan's case. That had to suck sometimes.

Julian swatted Jan's hand away when his friend reached over to pinch his arm; playfully, not as if the whole vampire thing was a turn-off. He couldn't help it if he was slightly self-conscious about his physique. He wasn't muscle on muscle or anything; rather pleasantly toned from a lot of walking. He gave Jan a mock-defensive look.
"It's baby fat," he said, deadpan. "I'm totally going to grow out of it."

The other thing Jan had said before pinching his arm, about not hurting him, was hardly worth a response. Julian had known both men long enough to know they were friends. Friends didn't eat other friends, or something. Besides, if Jan could create illusions and the like, Julian might have been a snack and never known it. That thought might have been a lot more unsettling if he actually believed it, which he didn't.

Of course he had more questions, but Julian's mind was somewhere in that gray area where you knew you wanted to ask things but there was so much to ask that you didn't know what should come first or even what you should ask. Where were their fangs? They didn't really appear to have any that Julian could see. Why were Evgeni's eyes red and Jan's weren't? What did they eat? Who, he supposed, did they eat? He put the no-longer floating book to the side then reached up to rub his head.

"Sorry," he said, "This is just... kind of overwhelming." He closed his eyes for a long moment as his head throbbed, but opened them shortly. "Pretty interesting, but overwhelming. If this is all part of the concussion thing and we're actually having a long and involved discussion about how to wash your whites versus colors, I'm going to be kind of disappointed. Don't tell me if that's the case, okay?"

After a moment he looked back and forth between them again.
"So how does it work? The whole... blood thing. I mean, don't people notice?"

He shrugged at them, a little smirk on his lips.
"I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss it if I got bitten. I mean, neither of you is mosquito-sized."
Jan 10 years ago
Jan smiled when Julian claimed he would grow out of his baby fat. "At least you have the option. Not that I am complaining but I have had to get fake id's for years now.” He wouldn't have seen his twenty first birthday if he hadn't be saved by Simon. Of course there wasn't a drinking age back then so who even knew that it would later become a problem. He probably would have gotten a little taller, maybe filled out a little. That would have been nice.

Julian asked their ages and he grinned again.
"I know it might be hard to believe but I am the oldest one here.”

Evgeni snorted and said. "Yes, is difficult to believe sometimes.”

"I am over five hundred and Evgeni is a little over four hundred.” He knew that was even harder to believe. Jan continued. "I was born in Austria. I know I don't sound like it but I have had years to adapt.” Jan glanced over at his clan mate. "I am not sure what his excuse is.”

"Excuse is, English language makes very little sense.” Evgeni pulled himself up straighter and found some point of interest on the other side of the room. Jan figured his friend clung to his accent because it was a piece of home. He wasn't going to complain; he actually liked it.

Their human friend then asked about drinking blood and wondered if people noticed.
"Generally they notice in some way. It feels good so not many people complain about it.” He smiled at Julian and continued. "You can always get into a fight, knock someone out and then drink their blood. They wouldn't notice. Or if you are careful then you can take it from someone who is sleeping. Or someone who is drunk. Or during sex.”

Evgeni nodded agreement. "It goes unnoticed more often than you would think.”
"And look at you, apparently you haven't stopped drinking since," Julian quipped back at Jan. He couldn't help it, it was hard to see him as anything other than his friend. Maybe vampire jokes were taboo.

His humor faded quickly when Jan told him he was over five hundred, and Evgeni not far behind. He was still torn between disbelief and awe. Perhaps less on the disbelief side. Julian didn't not believe them, but at the same time it was hard to absorb. He blinked again. Sighed. He didn't even know how to respond to that. Apologize? Throw a party?

Apparently Jan was Austrian and Evgeni was exactly who Evgeni sounded like. Julian couldn't help but smile at Evgeni's comment.
"So I've heard," he said. He had known plenty of people who'd grown up outside the US and they all maintained the same.

Jan said the biting thing felt good but Julian wasn't sure. He had a hard time believing someone could sink their teeth into some part of him without his noticing. The idea was fascinating though. Evgeni agreed with Jan and Julian couldn't help but ask.

"You haven't... um... bitten me. Have you?" He raised his eyebrows. He'd never had sex with either of them obviously, but he'd been drunk with them on several occasions after a gig. He tried to tamp down how he'd feel if one of them had decided to take a sip. He wasn't sure.

In the back of his mind a little warning bell went off. Evgeni and Jan had seemed to agree that Julian deserved to know all of this. Why was that? It couldn't have been because of Evgeni's eyes. Julian would have written those off. The dreaming thing might have caused him some anxiety. It alone was difficult to believe, but his friends could have made up some psychic story and Julian wouldn't have known. They hadn't had to go for 'oh we're vampires.' That alone, really, made their story believable if he'd been hanging onto a thread of disbelief.

"Why was it so important for me to know this?" he asked a little warily. "Is there more going on? You don't have to kill me now that I know too much right? Because honestly after the week I've had, that would just be the icing on the cake."

He made a face; he wasn't serious about the killing thing and that was reflected in his voice. If either of his friends had wanted to hurt him they had had ample opportunity, and they certainly hadn't needed to endanger themselves to rescue him. But Julian still wanted to know what else was happening that he should know about. He got the vampire thing. He was even all right with it, where it pertained to Evgeni and Jan. Honestly, it even explained a few things. He might still be rattled by it but being shaken did not mean being disbelieving.
Evgeni 10 years ago
"No" Evgeni shook his head and looked at Jan who also indicated negatively. "Friends do not bite friends without permission. Is rude."

Evgeni regarded Julian with a somber expression when his friend asked why they wanted to tell him about being vampires. "You should know. Was important. I did not want you to worry about what happened wondering if it was real or not." He glanced sidelong at Jan and then continued. "It would help in the future too, yes? You know we will come looking for you if something happens."

Prior to coming tonight, in fact the first night that Julian was back safe and sound, he and Jan had discussed telling Julian the truth, the whole truth. Evgeni felt that Julian had a right to know that his former lover who had gotten him into all kinds of trouble was a vampire. Jan felt they shouldn't throw a clan mate under the bus. He said they would keep Julian safe and if he found out then he found out but they shouldn't be the ones to spill her secret. That didn't sound like the whole truth to Evgeni and the only thing that gave him pause was that Val was indeed a clan mate. Otherwise he would have not only thrown her under the bus, he wouln't have driven the thing right over her.

"There is something else we can do." Evgeni pointed to the both of them " and something else that I can do to keep you safe. I will explain. You can choose neither, is okay. First vampires can connect with people in a way. They are called familiars. It will let vampire know if person is hurt or in danger."

Jan raised his eyebrows and gestured for Evgeni to continue.

"But it creates a very strong connection to the vampire sometimes more overwhelming than others." He shrugged slightly to indicate that they didn't know ahead of time what they happen either.

"Second thing. I have gift" There was a hint of bitterness in his tone that he tried to eliminate. "I can bond with anyone, vampire or human. Is stronger than familiar bond but it does not change you. You feel what you feel for me. Hate me, be angry with me, is all still possible but I would know where you were, be able to even speak to you." He pointed to his head. "like in the dreams but also when you are awake. Understand?"

"In first case you could choose either or us. In second, you are stuck with me." Evgeni smiled wryly and opened his hands in a helpless gesture. "Either way, one of us would be required to bite you. If you are not wanting that then is okay."
Julian smiled at Evgeni's denial. He really didn't think either of his friends had done that. "You have permission," he said boldly, looking at both of them. "If you ever want to. It's okay."

They had been friends to him when he'd desperately needed help, on more than one occasion. If they wanted blood in return he would give it. They said it didn't hurt; it felt good, even. Julian felt queasy at the thought of blood at all but he would manage. He had in the past.

That Evgeni had wanted him to know for his own good was comforting. Julian grimaced a little.
"Yeah," he admitted. "I might have been worried about it, that's for sure."

Evgeni continued to speak and Julian felt his heart pound when he realized what his friend was saying. He was offering to do this... vampire magic thing, with Julian. And Julian was having a hard time trying to figure out how that would be a bad thing. The recent terror was fresh in his mind and the appeal of not being entirely alone was huge. Julian didn't like being dependent; he was thankful to have friends willing to stay with him but they couldn't stay with him forever.

"I.. I get it," he said, when Evgeni asked if he understood what was being offered. Julian wasn't sure he'd want to be overwhelmed by anyone. Maybe Tavi, in bed. But maybe, some kind of tie like Evgeni said, where he could even communicate with his friend if he needed to?

He had trusted Evgeni and Jan plenty before; the last few days had only deepened the feeling. He felt very attached to Evgeni, as well, possibly because it was he who'd Julian had first seen when the blindfold had come off. And he who'd come to him in his dreams. He still heard Evgeni playing his violin when he could only make it cry.

Julian sat for several minutes, trying to mull it over. This was a lot to process at once. He wanted to think it over, but he didn't feel like he really had the luxury to do so. If his captors wanted him back, they would find him. Evgeni, Jan, and Tavi couldn't babysit him forever.

And that really kind of said it all didn't it?

He looked at Evgeni.
"Do you really want that? This bond?"

He could understand the offer to keep him safe; he wasn't expecting Evgeni to declare some sort of unwavering friendship or eternal fraternal devotion. But if this was something Evgeni didn't really want to do he didn't want it either. There would be other ways.

He gripped the throw blanket in his lap to hide his nerves.
"If you really want it, we can do it. But don't do it just because you think you have to. I'll stay safe."

Julian looked to Jan for reassurance as well. They were both his friends, and both were clearly on very good terms with each other. Julian knew they weren't a couple or, if they were, they were an extremely open couple. Either way though this seemed like it would make him closer to them than he had been before.

"Is it permanent? If you decide you don't want it anymore, or I do, can we stop it?"

If it were something they could cease, then Julian couldn't find any logical reason to say no. Evgeni was offering safety, an internal alarm system, someone who would know him. Yes, the entire idea made him nervous but only because he'd learned about vampires in, oh, the last half hour or so, with a brain injury that was making him a little slower than normal. He was uncertain about how it all worked, but he was very very clear on what was being offered, and how badly he didn't want to find himself in the same position ever again.
Evgeni 10 years ago
Evgeni considered carefully the best way to answer Julian's question. "Is not want perhaps. Is need." He thought he could never use his bonding ability again and that would be just fine. It certainly seemed so in the present but he knew that if he continued to not use it then Sophia would haunt him even more. He would be allowing her to have control over him still. "It helps you and it helps me."

He sighed softly and summed up an explanation. "One of our kind, she found me in lab and when she realized that I was a vampire also and from our clan and not her's." Evgeni gestured to himself and Jan. "She decided to take me as prisoner. Is long and not pleasant story. She discovered this ability, bonding, that I have and she used it for torture. As I explained before you can choose to dislike me and we would still be bonded and I could feel the same. In this case, I disliked her very much." That was an understatement. "She made this gift a curse but to be bonded to a friend. This I can do. It would help us both." Evgeni certainly hoped so anyway. He would probably have nightmares in the beginning but since he generally couldn't sleep without being in someone else's dreams then it didn't matter so much. "I will help keep you safe and you will help me remember what is like to enjoy a bond with someone I care about."

Julian asked if it was permanent. "As far as I know, yes. Until last bond, I have never wanted to end one. This one ended when she died." As did all the others. "It fades with time if not cared for. If we stay apart then it would be almost not there but I think I would know even then if...it broke or perhaps still if you were in serious danger. Stronger emotions carry further."

Standing up, he moved to sit behind Julian. "The first part is simple. I bite you, take your blood. The second part you might not like so much. You have to take a small taste of mine." He smiled and gently squeezed Julian's shoulder. "will help heal head faster so can be a good thing, yes? Sunlight will be less comfortable for few days. Feel very hot, seem very bright. Not harmful, unlike for us with the burning and the smoking. I am resilient so you might have a little of that too."

Moving closer to Julian's neck, he murmured softly. "Watch Jan, he will watch over you. You say when ready." Evgeni wrapped an arm around his friend's waist and waited patiently until Julian said that it was okay. He might have led up to the bite more slowly had this been a romantic situation but Julian had claimed in the past not to be interested in men. Still, he pressed his lips gently against the spot he intended to bite, letting Julian feel his touch first, gentle and nonthreatening. Then he slowly sank his teeth into his friend's neck. He let the blood rise to him; taking a brief taste. It was moderately laced with pain medication but underneath that he could sense the uniqueness of Julian. Gently he sucked slowly on the wound, letting Julian experience the full pleasure of being bitten. It was different to bite someone who knew what you were doing. There was no need to be quick or to hide the action within another. It made it easier for both of them to savor it thoroughly. Evgeni took a few more draws, each a little more forceful than the last and then he stopped, letting the blood flow gently a little more before licking closed the wound.

"Are you okay, so far?" He smiled softly, his arm still wrapped gently around Julian's waist. "And that was what is like being bitten by a vampire. Not so bad? I enjoy it often." Evgeni smiled up at Jan who had watched them both with intent pale green eyes. He knew that it was not just to make sure that Julian was okay. Evgeni had no doubt that Jan had enjoyed the show and probably longed to be bitten as well.

((OOC: Hopefully Julian was choosing to be bitten. I figured that was the case from our vent conversation and therefore moved the post along to past that point so that there was more to respond to. If he has reservations or a change of heart then let me know and I will change the post. ))
Evgeni's tale was short but it answered Julian's question. It certainly wasn't the answer he'd expected, and he closed his eyes in sympathy while his friend explained what had been done to him. No wonder Evgeni had been so supportive; i wasn't that he would have lacked support from him anyway, but Julian had felt that there was something deeper behind Evgeni's feelings and this must be it. If doing this would help Evgeni get over something bad in his own past Julian was more than happy to help, even without the benefit to himself.

It seemed permanent but might fade if they stayed apart; Julian found himself fervently hoping he never had to leave his friends or vice versa. He cared about them both, but who could say where life might take any of them? And maybe this bond thing would be a comfort if they did have to part. A little part of him would stay with Evgeni, and that was a good thing.

Evgeni moved to sit behind him. Julian turned a little bit so his back pressed up against Evgeni's chest and he was looking at Jan. His full attention was focused on Evgeni, though, and he nodded with a little hum of understanding when Evgeni told him about the blood and what effects he might experience. His stomach churned at the idea of drinking someone else's blood but it was a fear of his and if Evgeni could face his then Julian could only be just as strong.

"I'm ready," he murmured when Evgeni asked, before he could lose his nerve. He couldn't believe what he felt next; the indescribable sensation of someone's teeth sinking into his neck. He shuddered with the small amount of pain, his body instinctively trying to tell him to pull away. And then as Evgeni's mouth closed over his neck a feeling of warmth and lassitude seeped into him, followed closely by a familiar feeling of arousal. Very familiar. Bone-deep, as if he were going to come and it was going to start in his toes and work its way out.

Julian pressed back into Evgeni unconsciously, leaning away and offering more of his neck, and that was the only conscious move he made. He gave a soft moan and pulled the throw tighter onto his lap. Each time Evgeni sucked on his neck a throb of pure pleasure shocked his system. It was unbelievably erotic, even though he'd never been inclined toward the same sex. When Evgeni mercifully pulled away and asked if Julian was all right, he took a moment to breathe and control the raging urge to come right there; he was so incredibly close.

Finally he nodded and his eyelids fluttered open.
"I'm all right," he said breathlessly, his hands lowering to cling to Evgeni's arm around his waist. He frowned. "I've felt that before."

He turned to Evgeni.
"Let's finish? Before the blood thing makes me lose my nerve."

He offered Evgeni an apologetic smile; he didn't want his friend to think he was repulsed by him. Evgeni and Jan knew he'd been in a car accident though, and they knew the extent of the damage that had been done, the many surgeries he'd undergone to repair everything, the fact that Andy had died although he hadn't gone into detail there. He thought Evgeni would understand the blood thing.

He looked at Evgeni expectantly; surely he wasn't meant to simply dig in with his blunt teeth. Looking at his friend, he realized he could now see the points of two long fangs against his lips. Surreal. Who knew?
Jan 10 years ago
Okay that was incredibly hot. Jan would be willing to 'watch over' Julian any day while he was being bitten, especially by Evgeni. He could not take his eyes off the scene in front of him, the way Julian leaned back against Evgeni, the way he moaned softly and allowed more access to his neck, the way Evgeni held Julian tighter but was so gentle, the way his fellow vampire drew the whole experience out until both of them were nearly overcome by it.

They weren't the only ones feeling a little overwhelmed when it was over.

When Evgeni pulled away Julian mentioned that he had experienced that feeling before. Evgeni, still close, leaned back in to Julian's ear and murmured softly. "Is no doubt that you have.” Jan could see him squeeze Julian a little tighter even as he looked up to give him a pointed look, satisfaction and righteous triumph written on his aristocratic features.

Snotty bastard. Jan harrumphed internally but was at least relieved that neither of them actually outright mentioned what Val was. They couldn't help it if Julian put two and two together and came up with it on his own. How were they to know that she had taken a little something from him while she was receiving a little something from him? Evgeni had figured as much or at least it was a strong possibility and Jan couldn't argue the logic. After all, he liked a little bite or two when he having sex so he wasn't surprised or upset with the news.

However he could see Evgeni's point which was that Val had gotten Julian into the mess he had been in and she should have done more to get him out. It didn't matter whether she had been intimate with him or not or bitten him or not. It mattered that he was in trouble because of her. Evgeni seemed to think the intimacy made it more her problem; that she should have cared about Julian more than she obviously did. Jan figured that Julian was a fun thing on the side and felt that Julian had probably felt the same so the responsibility business was the main issue and she had been trying, sort of, a little, or discussing the idea of maybe trying to get Julian out. She even had a plan. It might have worked but there probably would have been a shoot out and the person most likely to take a bullet to something vital would have been Julian. Cause Murphy was a bastard like that.

His thoughts were interrupted by Evgeni holding out his wrist to him. Of course, why bite yourself when there was another vampire more than willing to do it for you? He leaned over his companion's outstretched arm, his hair sliding down to curtain his face and Evgeni's wrist. After watching the earlier show and having the previous arguments between them, Jan felt he owed Evgeni some minor discomfort. His bite wasn't slow and he didn't just let the blood seep up. No, before handing Evgeni's wrist off to Julian, Jan sucked down on it hard, drawing the rich blood into his mouth to the satisifying sound of Evgeni's loud gasp of surprise and pleasure. It was followed by a moan of pained disappointment as Jan sat back up and released his clan mate's wrist with a smug grin.

Julian hesitated and had to work himself up to placing his lips around the wound but he did eventually do it. Jan noticed that his friend's eyes were tightly closed but then his gaze drifted to Evgeni who was trembling slightly with each shallow swallow that Julian took.

After a few, Evgeni squeezed his own eyes shut and tilted his head back to the ceiling. With a heavy sigh, he said. "That is enough, Julian, I can feel the bond.” No doubt so could Julian and right now he was probably feeling all Evgeni's desire and pleasure. That had to be an interesting way to start their new relationship.

A little pang of jealousy and envy coursed through him and he pushed it impatiently down. Jan didn't know if he wanted to be where Julian was or Evgeni. Was he upset that Evgeni hadn't suggested a bond between them or upset that he couldn't be as close as the two of them were now going to be? He wasn't sure but for a brief moment he felt like the third wheel and it hurt a little. They were friends and this didn't change anything.
Jan 10 years ago
Okay that was incredibly hot. Jan would be willing to 'watch over' Julian any day while he was being bitten, especially by Evgeni. He could not take his eyes off the scene in front of him, the way Julian leaned back against Evgeni, the way he moaned softly and allowed more access to his neck, the way Evgeni held Julian tighter but was so gentle, the way his fellow vampire drew the whole experience out until both of them were nearly overcome by it.

They weren't the only ones feeling a little overwhelmed when it was over.

When Evgeni pulled away Julian mentioned that he had experienced that feeling before. Evgeni, still close, leaned back in to Julian's ear and murmured softly. "Is no doubt that you have.” Jan could see him squeeze Julian a little tighter even as he looked up to give him a pointed look, satisfaction and righteous triumph written on his aristocratic features.

Snotty bastard. Jan harrumphed internally but was at least relieved that neither of them actually outright mentioned what Val was. They couldn't help it if Julian put two and two together and came up with it on his own. How were they to know that she had taken a little something from him while she was receiving a little something from him? Evgeni had figured as much or at least it was a strong possibility and Jan couldn't argue the logic. After all, he liked a little bite or two when he having sex so he wasn't surprised or upset with the news.

However he could see Evgeni's point which was that Val had gotten Julian into the mess he had been in and she should have done more to get him out. It didn't matter whether she had been intimate with him or not or bitten him or not. It mattered that he was in trouble because of her. Evgeni seemed to think the intimacy made it more her problem; that she should have cared about Julian more than she obviously did. Jan figured that Julian was a fun thing on the side and felt that Julian had probably felt the same so the responsibility business was the main issue and she had been trying, sort of, a little, or discussing the idea of maybe trying to get Julian out. She even had a plan. It might have worked but there probably would have been a shoot out and the person most likely to take a bullet to something vital would have been Julian. Cause Murphy was a bastard like that.

His thoughts were interrupted by Evgeni holding out his wrist to him. Of course, why bite yourself when there was another vampire more than willing to do it for you? He leaned over his companion's outstretched arm, his hair sliding down to curtain his face and Evgeni's wrist. After watching the earlier show and having the previous arguments between them, Jan felt he owed Evgeni some minor discomfort. His bite wasn't slow and he didn't just let the blood seep up. No, before handing Evgeni's wrist off to Julian, Jan sucked down on it hard, drawing the rich blood into his mouth to the satisifying sound of Evgeni's loud gasp of surprise and pleasure. It was followed by a moan of pained disappointment as Jan sat back up and released his clan mate's wrist with a smug grin.

Julian hesitated and had to work himself up to placing his lips around the wound but he did eventually do it. Jan noticed that his friend's eyes were tightly closed but then his gaze drifted to Evgeni who was trembling slightly with each shallow swallow that Julian took.

After a few, Evgeni squeezed his own eyes shut and tilted his head back to the ceiling. With a heavy sigh, he said. "That is enough, Julian, I can feel the bond.” No doubt so could Julian and right now he was probably feeling all Evgeni's desire and pleasure. That had to be an interesting way to start their new relationship.

A little pang of jealousy and envy coursed through him and he pushed it impatiently down. Jan didn't know if he wanted to be where Julian was or Evgeni. Was he upset that Evgeni hadn't suggested a bond between them or upset that he couldn't be as close as the two of them were now going to be? He wasn't sure but for a brief moment he felt like the third wheel and it hurt a little. They were friends and this didn't change anything.
Julian didn't think he'd ever forget the sensation of swallowing another man's blood. It tasted exactly like he would have imagined... bloody. Sort of coppery and metallic. He didn't breathe as he swallowed, at first. He also hadn't known what to expect, exactly, but the strangest thing happened to him with each little taste. He started feeling aroused again, warm and pleasant and tight with desire. His own body responded, although it hadn't completely calmed down from Evgeni's bite to begin with. Julian realized he was feeling a combination of sensations; his own and Evgeni's. It was confusing for a few moments.

He didn't release Evgeni's wrist immediately. He surprised himself by giving an experimental pull on Evgeni's wrist, drawing just a bit more from it to feel his friend's reaction. And because it seemed to be as pleasant for him as it had felt when he'd done the biting a moment ago. Julian didn't think this made him inclined toward men any more, but suddenly the idea of giving that sort of pleasure to Evgeni or even Jan wasn't such a bad thing. Was that Evgeni too, or himself?

It was incredibly confusing. He could feel the flow of blood stop. Julian pulled away and looked down at Evgeni's wrist. It was closed, the punctures Jan's teeth had made gone. Julian ran his fingers lightly over Evgeni's wrist. It was like new, not even a scar. His eyes glazed over with desire, lips parted slightly, Julian looked at Jan first since he was facing him.

"Feels... confusing," he said, his voice breathless with the double strength of arousal. "Good, and confusing."

Then he turned to Evgeni, leaning against him, still holding his arm around him. It didn't embarrass him to be like this, close, intimate, even, and Julian realized he wouldn't have minded a bit if Jan wanted to join in the pile.
"Are you all right?" he asked Evgeni.

Looking back to Jan he patted the day bed invitingly. He didn't really think Evgeni would mind, and Julian certainly wouldn't. He was enjoying the contact of human (well, vampire, but close enough) arms. Evgeni's presence was there with him, reassuringly strong, making his injured head spin as he tried to sort out who was who.

Even deeper down though, beneath the arousal and the pleasure, was the realization that he'd been bitten before. If it was always the same, he had felt that bone-deep sort of orgasm already - with Val. He knew it; Evgeni's words had confirmed it, in a way. Val had bitten him when they'd had sex. It only confirmed what Julian already thought, that he was nothing to her, not a friend like he'd thought. Just a meal. Bitter betrayal and acrid anger filled his throat and he gritted his teeth against them, seeking the warmer and more comfortable emotions of desire and pleasure. He would have said he didn't have the energy to be angry but, oh, he did. Evgeni was right about his blood making Julian feel better. The lassitude of his lazy day had fallen away and he was plenty alert and bright.

But he still didn't want to move; he would rather just draw his friends closer into this little cocoon of safety and enjoy it. He didn't know if the sensation would last beyond this night and this moment but right now it was good, and it was soothing to his injured soul.
Evgeni 10 years ago
He nearly came as Julian went from simply tasting his blood to actually sucking on the wound. Evgeni moaned softly and clutched his friend a little tighter, trembling with need and barely restrained desire. It had been an act of supreme willpower to mention that it was okay for Julian to stop and that was -before- his friend chose to draw up more.

Evgeni wrapped his other arm around Julian and hugged him close, feeling protective, a little scared, happy and more than a little aroused. He couldn't help it if he thought Julian was hot but he didn't want to push himself on his friend while Julian was getting accustomed to the bond. [I am sorry...it will pass. The biting is much like being bitten. Like being on the giving end of amazing sex and being bitten...we still feel it the same way as humans. I don't want to overwhelm you.] He planned on jumping Jan like a needy whore who had spent a year in a convent as soon as they were home. Hopefully he would remember to block that out somewhat or Julian might be in for some interesting feelings at dawn.

Nodding to Julian's question, he managed a smile.
"Yes, am fine. Perhaps better even than normal.” Evgeni placed a small kiss to his friend's temple. [Thank you for trusting me.]

Jan accepted Julian's invitation and moved closer, sprawling himself across both of their laps. He then rolled onto his back and smiled up at them. "So what are we doing now?” Evgeni noticed that there seemed to be a few, entirely unnecessary, adjustments being made that happened to rub a painfully sensitive portion of his anatomy.

"Keep that up and you better be prepared to do something about it, yes?” He hissed in a dangerous tone, his eyes narrowing threateningly.

Jan appeared entirely unconcerned.
"Nice game of monopoly?”

Feeling some of Julian's anger and sense of betrayal, Evgeni sighed softly. [There is something further. Val is a clan mate. I don't think that it is important any longer but I feel you should know that too. Had she not been...] He stopped as his own anger toward Val surfaced. [ well, it is good for her that she was.]

He noticed that the lower half of Jan's body now seemed uncomfortable because he was now squirming artfully in Julian's lap. [You know, we should not be the only ones feeling this way...] Evgeni leaned into Julian's neck and brushed his fangs gently along the warm skin. [Don't you agree?] He reached over and took Julian's left hand in his own and guided them both over to Jan's cock which, while aroused, wasn't in nearly hard enough to compete with the raging erection that he had and that he expected Julian was also dealing with. Rubbing back and forth over the material of Jan's jeans quickly changed that situation. Evgeni grinned in satisfaction at the look of surprise on his clan mate's face. It quickly changed to an expression of easy pleasure. Jan was willing pretty much any time and it was hard to shock him for very long.

"Lazy. Be a nice friend.” He glanced meaningfully at Julian and then back at Jan.

"Ok” Jan slid out of their laps and then sat up. He crawled up beside Julian on the other side and found his friend's neck. That hadn't been what he meant but if Jan wished to nibble on Julian and it was okay with Julian then it was perfectly fine with him. Evgeni brushed his lips across his friend's skin one last time before moving away.

Dropping off the daybed and onto the floor, he ran both hands up along the inside of Julian's thighs, his thumbs then moved up over his friend's erection. [Is this okay?] Evgeni asked softly as he reached for the waistband on the soft grey pants that Julian was wearing.

((OOC: Jan is probably also using to telekinesis just to be absolutely certain that he is effective at his 'adjusting'. ))