The Fugitives

The reception was being held upstairs in the penthouse that had once belonged to Meghan. It had been redecorated for tonight's purpose, and everyone was invited. There hadn't really been any way to host all of their friends and family for the actual ceremony, so many of their friends had watched it here, televised by MARI, since the bridge between the Towers simply couldn't fit as many people as needed.

When Rowan and Cris arrived there were already a number of people in attendance... in short, the place was packed. They entered the penthouse, with Alfarinn and the rest of the wedding party, to a chorus of cheers and whistles and playful catcalls.

The decorations were simple but elegant; the living area of the penthouse had been cleared to create a decently sized dance floor. All around the suite there were tables and chairs, but none labeled. There would be people coming and going throughout, and because of that they'd opted against the formal dinner in favor of something easier, something buffet-style. Cris and Rowan had decided they wanted to be sociable and visit with everyone, too, not confine themselves to a table of 'special' people. Everyone who came to celebrate with them was special tonight.

Along one wall was a beautiful table set with a large cake. It had six tiers, a series of squares decreasing in size and set at angles to create a diamond effect. The cake itself was white with delicate silver trimmings and a fall of white, silver, and crystal leaves along one side. The topper was a silver heart, engraved with the letters C and R. Henri had made it, but in addition he'd done something that Rowan had found touching, when they'd mentioned they wanted everyone to be able to share.

There was no way to make a cake huge enough to account for the (literally) hundreds of people living and working in the Towers, so Henri had created little tiny versions of the same cake, each one decorated by hand in a similar fashion. Once they finished cutting into the big cake, they would distribute the little ones to everyone in the Towers, including random passers-by. Just because.

Rowan was looking forward to tasting it, himself. In honor of their meeting (outside of Barney's, over coffee), Henri had made a chocolate cake with a filling of hazelnut and cappuccino cream and a thin layer of rich chocolate ganache just beneath the white buttercream icing.

The rest of the decorations were lovely; white tablecloths, sprays of flowers here and there accented by little falls of crystal and white and silver ribbon. In place of centerpieces each table had its own personal fondue pot; cheese on one side, chocolate on the other, and a circular tray with breads, fruits, and other tidbits to dip which were constantly being refilled by the hired help. Music was being played through the penthouse-wide speaker system, an assortment of songs and artists both Rowan and Cris enjoyed. Eiryk had provided mead for the occasion, in a quantity that had to have taken him a very long time to brew.

In lieu of wedding presents, which the couple clearly didn't need, they'd asked for donations to be made to various charities in their names. In short, they had tailored their wedding to be an event with things they loved, people they cared for, with enough pomp and festivity to be a fitting reception but without the blatant formality some people seemed to desire and require for their weddings.

As the cheers died down both Rowan and Cris were enveloped in a swarm of well-wishers, and Rowan had to cling tightly to Cris's hand to avoid being separated from his new husband. They managed to get in the door and move slightly to the side so they could greet everyone who was already present. There were people Rowan hadn't seen in years, friends and family from ages long past.

When the crush finally organized itself into a more or less civil line, Rowan stepped close to Cris and slipped his arm around his partner's waist. Leaning down, he murmured,
"Getting away might be harder than we anticipated. Who invited all these people?"

It was difficult to say with a straight face; he didn't try. They both knew damn well that Rowan had been responsible for inviting a large number of people. Not that Cris's guest list had been countable on one hand either. Secretly, Rowan suspected that many of his friends had shown up just to see if the rumors of his marriage were true. He was proud to prove that they were.

Christian Bern 10 years ago
The place was filled to capacity with people. Cris was briefly grateful that he wasn't responsible for security tonight and then he realized that he would get involved even if he weren't on duty unless it was something minor. However he really didn't expect much trouble from their friends. Many of his were also security so this had to be one of the most secure parties he had ever been to. He wondered if the fire marshal would blow a casket and decided that if that happened someone -else- could deal with him.

When they had a small amount of space and a few seconds between well wishers, Rowan mentioned that someone had invited all these people. Cris nodded and looked around.
"Yes, who ever that was should be glad he does not have to clean the place up afterward." He looked up at Rowan and smiled. "You would think he was running for vampire mayor or something. Perhaps I should tell Alfarinn and Kem that their jobs might be at risk."

He looked around the room and saw one of the elders in question. Both were tall enough to be easy to find in just about any crowd but this particular one was carrying a raccoon.

"Shawe!" Cris reached for the raccoon and then held him against his chest, one arm up under his furry little butt. His 'grandson' immediately reached for his ear and then, not finding the earpiece he had expected, leaned his head around to take a closer look, poking his nose against Cris's cheek in the process. "It is not there, sorry."

"You did such a good job that I have a present for you." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a shiny paneled metal ball. In between the little panels were little low powered lights. Cris handed it to Shawe and waited. It wouldn't take long before the raccoon found the little switch that turned the thing on. In the middle of the ball there was a little motor. It would shake and roll at random times. He figured it was enough to drive both Shawe and the cat crazy. "Hopefully it was worth the bath." Cris rubbed his nose against a furry little cheek and spoke quietly to his favorite little trouble maker. "Thank you for the wedding decorations. Nice touch."

Looking back up at Kem, he smiled. "So what kind of raccoon proof building are you going to have to make this time?"
Kem`Raaisu 10 years ago
Kem had met Aishe at the penthouse after the ceremony. From there she had gone on to be sociable and he joined her until they were close to Cris and the Security Chief was reaching for Kem's hefty burden. He gladly relinquished Shawe, watching in amusement as the little monster immediately tried to find Cris's earpiece, which was not there.

The gift was a touching surprise and Kem grinned when it suddenly lit up. Then it vibrated and Shawe let out a squawk of delight. He shook it a few times and then tapped it gently against Cris's chest, then shook it again. It finally repeated the act and Shawe practically bounced in Cris's arms.

Kem laughed.
"You know exactly how to entertain him. Me, I just set him loose in Aishe's jewelry box."

He smiled innocently, more so when Aishe, standing close by, turned, narrowed her eyes, and said,
"Is that where my butterfly necklace went to? Those cubic zirconia were priceless, pal. You're going to have to replace them. With diamonds. Big ones. Cruelty free too, so good luck there."

Kem grinned at her threat; she knew he would no more let Shawe toy with her jewelry than with his own precious electronics. He would gladly buy her her diamonds, though, if he thought she'd really want a fortune in cruelty-free gemstones from him.

He sighed and shook his head when Cris asked how Kem was going to raccoon-proof the neighbor's shed.
"I was thinking a solid titanium box with only one entry, and that will have to be guarded with keys, laser beams, retinal scans, handprint identification, ill-tempered sea bass, and a three-headed mastiff if I can buy the rights."

He scratched Shawe on the back of his neck affectionately and said,
"Let me know when you're tired of the little monster and I'll take him back."

Not that he needed to; Shawe was actually a pretty well-behaved little man. He loved crowds like this and might get himself into trouble with his curiosity, but he minded Aishe well and listened to Kem too. Cris could easily put the raccoon down without fear that he would wander too far. What might go missing during that time, though, was a mystery.

"Congratulations to you both," he said before moving away to allow others to greet the married couple. He bent and hugged Cris gently, mindful of his furry burden, then embraced Rowan as well.
Rowan Murphy 10 years ago
Rowan snorted cheerfully at Cris's comment about the Elders' jobs. "Not hardly," he said. "I have two jobs now, and I love them. Doctor is great, but being your husband is the best one ever. I'd never give it up."

He watched as Cris gave Shawe his gift, laughing when the little raccoon discovered the toy's secrets. There would be hours upon hours of fun with the simple thing, he suspected.

A server came by with trays of chilled golden mead and Rowan took one for himself and one for Cris to have once his hands were free, thanking the man who had brought it. With the exception of those helping Henri, who were his and Renee's familiars, everyone here was from the Towers. They were being paid, of course, but the work had still been on a volunteer basis. Many people had signed up, to their surprise.

Kem's plans to raccoon-proof a shed were exactly what Rowan had come to expect from the younger of the two present Elders, but he didn't doubt that Kem would actually do as he said and try to bulk up the shed's defenses. Shawe's exploits were so entertaining that they had made their way into Rowan's journals more than once, even relayed secondhand as they were through Aishe.

Henri, who had disappeared the moment they reached the penthouse, returned with Renee at his side. The Frenchwoman was stunning, as always, in a deep plum-colored dress that set off her flawless creamy complexion and golden blond curls. One could completely miss ordinary, average Henri, standing right next to (and slightly below) her. Rowan was happy to see them both here. He was quick to accept Henri's enthusiastic embrace and Renee's tight hug, returning the kisses she placed on either cheek. They did the same for Cris.

"Ruan, I'm so happy for you," Renee said in her accented French, using the original form of Rowan's name just as Henri always did. She turned to Cris. "For both of you. And thank you so much for having me here. I have always wanted to visit America, and our Clan's home town. I cannot think of a happier reason to come."

When they pulled away, Henri raised his glass and cleared his throat. Nothing happened, and the party went on, completely oblivious to him in his attempt to draw attention. Rowan snickered.

Finally Renee stepped in, literally, her heels taking her up past six feet easily. She moved forward into the crowd, literally, with her glass held high. "A toast, to the new couple," she said, her voice ringing out over the crowd, and immediately there was a hush.

Henri, with a little sigh, stepped in when Renee gestured to him. Rowan noted a few surprised looks on people's faces and wondered if any of them had even realized he had been a part of the wedding party. Henri's ability to be plain wasn't the result of blending - he was just plain old forgettable. He had the crowd's attention right now, though, so he went ahead.

"For those of you who don't know me, you are probably better off. But I will introduce myself anyway. My name is Henri Durand, and I have a confession to make. I am responsible for turning this one," he gestured with his wine glass to Rowan, "and making sure he didn't get himself killed in his formative years."

Henri glanced at Rowan. "It was a very difficult task. I'm amazed you're still here."

Turning back to the crowd, he said, in a stage whisper, "Trust me, it's amazing. I actually managed to kill my cactus in a week. Ruan's saving grace was that he was already dead."

Rowan, unable to stand by and simply let it happen, said,
"And it wasn't for lack of trying. I remember every bad recipe you ever fed me. Here Ruan, try this, and we'll see if you can keep it down."

Henri ignored him. "When I heard that Ruan was actually seeing someone, I jumped for joy. When I heard who it was, I figured it had to have been a misunderstanding. I had been told Cris had good taste."

Continuing more soberly he said, "However, when I first saw them together it was very clear to me that here were a couple who belonged together. I saw you both in very trying circumstances but through it all you stayed so very true to each other. Such a test can only result in a bond stronger than any that can ever be forged, and all of us here wish you the greatest joy. So let us drink now to Ruan's continued existence!"

He took a sip from his glass, waiting a moment while the others did the same. "And to Christian's incredibly poor taste!"

There was another sip.

"And to love, because love brought them through the trials of their lives. It led them here, to happiness."

The toasted once more. Henri turned to Rowan and Cris and grinned. "Il n'y a qu'un bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aime. Congratulations Cris, he is your troublemaker now."

He winked at Cris and drank once more, as everyone in the room applauded.

((ooc: There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.))
Rowan proclaimed being his husband to be at least one full time job. Cris snorted softly at the potential misunderstanding but decided to leave it as Rowan had intended. He too wanted to be the best partner that he could be to Rowan and that meant he wasn't going to be running for vampire mayor any time soon either.

Shawe figured out what his toy did pretty quickly and made happy raccoon noises when the thing rumbled and moved. Cris was rather surprised that Shawe hadn't dropped it but he guessed the shiny was too precious to let go of, even when it suddenly jumped and squirmed in the raccoon's grasp. It was shaken and tapped to get it to move again which made Cris laugh with delight. If all animals could be this much fun then he would love them more. Shawe was special, a genius among raccoons.

And that genius had a penchant for trouble, some of which included the neighbor's shed.
"Hmm, keys seem impractical.” Cris smiled because out of everything Kem suggested the locked door was the most down to earth idea in the bunch. "Very old school. What about a remote app for keyless entry? Oh, and maybe a moat...with sharks.” With lasers, of course.

When Renee came over to talk to them, he handed his furry grandson to Aishe so that he could return her greeting properly without squishing a raccoon to her chest. Since it was her first time to the United States he supposed he could say it was a local custom for honored guests but he didn't think she buy that line.
"It is a pleasure to have you both. I learn so much more about Rowan every time Henri is here.” Cris gave his husband a sideways glance and a grin. Speaking in a stage whisper, he said. "I bet you have some good stories also. We will get Henri to distract him for a bit and then I can show you are wonderful coffee house.”

Speaking of Henri seemed to have made him appear and the Frenchman raised his glass for a toast. Cris reached over to take his from Rowan and then wrapped his arm around his lover's waist. Nothing immediately happened and Cris wondered how Henri ever got served in a bar. That question was answered when Renee stepped forward and got everyone's attention and then turned the show over to her husband.

Cris raised his eyebrows when Henri claimed to have killed a cactus.
"That you are still here is a miracle.” He murmured softly to Rowan.

Snorting softly when Henri claimed that he had good taste and therefore must not have been the Cris who was dating Rowan.
"I have excellent taste.” He retorted with an indignant tone. "He is absolutely wonderful and would be perfect except for his inability to cook.”

He drank to Henri's several toasts and laughed when Rowan was pronounced his problem. "Ce n'est pas un problem.” Cris answered. "Je l'aime.” Rowan made his life better for being in it and he couldn't imagine ever thinking that his partner was a problem even when they had problems in their life.

((OOC: He said It isn't a problem presumably because of his next statement which was that he loved rowan. ))
Rowan laughed softly at Cris's suggestions for improvement upon Kem's shed ideas. God help them if the two actually got together. Or, more accurately, help Kem and Aishe's neighbors, who thus far had no idea their shed was such a hot conversational topic.

Henri's toast was everything Rowan had expected; in spite of not being much of an attention-getter, his Creator was reasonably good at addressing people. Rowan enjoyed listening to it, and drank heartily to each toast, especially the one lauding Cris's taste. When his partner defended him he tightened his arm around Cris's waist.

"It really is a miracle," he agreed, smiling down at Cris and leaning down for a soft kiss. "I can cook, though! I manage it quite nicely in the sun, although I'm too large for most conventional ovens."

Cris's proclamation of love went right to Rowan's heart and he claimed another kiss.
"Je t'adore," he murmured softly against Cris's lips. "Let's make sure we don't get too far from the door. I don't suppose there's another convenient way out?"

They had a flight to catch later, but the jet was chartered and would wait for them. Rowan didn't doubt there would be hell to pay if they tried to dodge out of their own reception. He had thought at the time that they would enjoy the time with friends and family and that was true, but with the emotional ceremony so fresh in his head he had to admit that if he had the chance to abscond with his new husband he would take it in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile, picking up on some unspoken signal, Aishe had taken advantage of the crowd's attention by hopping (and being lifted) onto Kem's right shoulder, where she perched easily without any indication from either of them that the position was awkward or uncomfortable. Not to self: tease Aishe about bedroom acrobatics. After the honeymoon.

The small woman lifted her glass and grinned down at Cris, and Rowan prepared himself to jump to his husband's defense as Cris had to his. As it happened, it wasn't necessary.
Aishe 10 years ago
It took no effort for Kiamhaat to lift her into a better position to address the crowd of celebrants. This was actually how they changed the light bulb in the light in the high ceiling of their living room, after all. Fortunately Shawe was preoccupied with his new toy; usually when they did this Kiamhaat ended up with a raccoon on the other shoulder.

Everyone looked to her expectantly; Aishe smiled down at Cris and Rowan.
"I don't have a humorous story," she said. "I don't have any funny anecdotes about Cris as a young vampire. I'll leave those to the people best suited to tell them."

She gestured with her glass toward Alfarinn, and toward Grisha, who was also present. Then she continued.
"All I can tell you is that Cris has been my family since I moved to Nachton. He's been my friend and my father, my teacher, my comfort and my guide. I've seen him angry, worried, upset, sad, frustrated. But I'm not sure if I saw him really, truly happy until you came along Rowan, and for that I thank you.

"I wondered how it would be, sharing him with someone else when I've had him for such a short time myself, but as it happens, it isn't difficult."

Aishe directed her next words to Cris.
"I've never known anyone with a more loyal heart, with so much love to give, with so much compassion. I've never known anyone who deserved happiness as much as you do, Cris, and now that you have it, may it fill you for the rest of your days, overflowing and touching everyone around you."

She raised her glass up.
"To your happiness, and Rowan's. May they forever be the same."

Aishe wasn't very good at this sort of thing, but hopefully she had made her point. She didn't think it mattered that she wasn't the most eloquent speaker; the people here were more than ready to drink to Cris and Rowan, to love, to happiness, to humor, and to life in general.

Kiamhaat set her gently down on her feet and she stepped up to her Creator, holding her glass away from her side, and hugged him tightly.
"I love you so much," she said softly, "and I will do everything I can to keep you this happy forever."

She turned to Rowan and hugged him too.
"Both of you. You were meant for each other. Believe me, I know."

With a little grin she released Cris's redhead and moved back to lean against her own perfect match. Years into their relationship, she still never suffered a moment's doubt that she and Kiamhaat were meant to be, and she would protect Cris and Rowan just as fiercely as her own love, if the need ever arose.
Cris raised an eyebrow at Rowan's version of cooking. "See that you don't.” He said before he was kissed and any more commentary was put on hold.

His partner requested that they not move far from the door and he laughed.
"You know there is a cake to cut, right? I do not think they are going to wheel that over here for us.” He nestled comfortably against Rowan and smiled. [We will just have to distract them with something else. Maybe Shawe would be willing to help.] Cris nodded toward the sliding glass doors that led outside. "This is the roof so there is a lot of ways 'out' but I didn't bring my high tech spy gear for getting us safely to the ground.” They would be leaving via helicopter though so perhaps it would be parked out there early and they could make a break for it.

He looked over at Aishe who suddenly became much taller and figured they were in for another speech. Cris tried to remember if he had given his daughter many of his youthful foibles stories to deter her from doing the same and whether any of them might come back to haunt him. No conversation came to mind but... he looked over at Grisha who stared back at him with a smugly content look...she could have always talked to his Creator. Grisha might have been inclined to alter his normally tight lipped nature for the sake of this occasion.

Her first words left him feeling somewhat relieved and the rest of them made him proud, embarrassed, humbled and touched. Cris was headed her way even as Kem was setting her down. He returned Aishe's hug with a tight one of his own.
"Thank you, Liebling, you just be happy also and I will be happy.” Cris looked over her shoulder and gave Kem a pointed 'warning' look and then smiled again at Aishe as she went to hug Rowan.

Those were two toasts. Cris looked over and Rowan and sighed softly in relief. Maybe they were done. He wrapped his arm around his new husband and looked around at their friends. A few more drinks, a piece or two of cake and then a quick exit and a trip to Switzerland.

Then there was a thumping noise and a gruff clearing of a throat. Cris groaned and leaned his forehead against Rowan's chest.
Mai_NPC 10 years ago
Grisha thumped his cane several more times on the floor to get everyone's attention. He noted his son's reaction with a satisfied smirk. There was no one more qualified in the room to speak about the straight laced security chief's early antics than himself, even Alfarinn didn't know half the things he did about Crispin and he wasn't inclined to enlighten him.

"Hmmph, kids today with their piercings and tattoos...” Grisha muttered loudly and waved a hand toward Rowan and Cris. "Back in my day...”

"When Dinosaurs roamed the earth.” Alfarinn said from over Grisha's shoulder. When a couple of people chuckled, he shook his head and said in a stage whisper. "No seriously....”

Grisha waved a hand around above his head at Alfarinn like he was swatting at an annoying fly.
"We were too busy surviving to be worried about all this learning, and socializing, and all these betterment of our kind causes and such.”

"It was before reading and writing were invented anyway.” Alfarinn helpfully supplied.

"Listen here you young troublemaker...” Grisha elbowed his clan leader in the gut. "respect your elder.”

"Well technically...” Alfarinn looked over at Kem for help, giving him a look that said he could point out the obvious at any time.

"As I was saying before someone so rudely interrupted... Life has gotten much more complicated but much more rewarding.” He looked over at his progeny and smiled. "I've been traveling the world with this one here for many centuries. He was only one who could put up with me for very long.”

He turned slightly around to give Alfarinn the hairy eyeball, expecting to hear some sort of commentary on that. The Norseman shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.

"Hmmph” Grisha turned back to Cris and Rowan. "This kid here convinced me a while back that we needed to be with others of our kind after many years of being alone.” Another glance at Alfarinn. "I didn't think he was right. It took many nights of arguing and convincing.”

Grisha leaned closer to Rowan and spoke in a loud whisper. "Word of advice, he can be a stubborn bastard when he wants something. Just a warning...” Turning back to everyone else, he continued. "After a while I agreed to join this new upstart group just to shut him up. I never expected it to work. I figured the Anantya would change their minds and kill us all in a our sleep.”

"Cheerful toast, Grisha. Your confidence is touching.” Alfarinn grumbled with a grin.

"Hush you, I am getting to the point.” The old man retorted and looked down at his champagne glass. "I had been part of a community before and that's exactly what happened so don't blame me for thinking it could happen again.”

"But he was right. We needed to be a part of something larger than ourselves. A community of family and friends.” Grisha looked around at everyone. "And my son here cares about everyone very much. Sorry your secret is now out.”

"He wasn't doing a good job of keeping it a secret anyway.” Alfarinn added.

"I haven't seen him happy in a long time. I worried like many of his close friends that he worked too much and played too little. Cris was coming damn close to a...what is it the young ones call it? An interruption?” Grisha raised an eyebrow at Alfarinn who supplied intervention as the term he had been looking for.

"Yes, yes. And then he met this troublemaker here.” Grisha waved his hand over at Aishe. Alfarinn gave her a wink over the top of Grisha's head. "And I knew that everything would be okay. Cris had someone to care for, look after and love who would care for him, look after him and love him the way he did for me.” Grisha sniffed gruffly and then moved on. "But when he met this ruffian...” A bony finger pointed in Rowan's direction. "Well, I've never seen him happier. We all love him and care about him but Rowan here fills that void in his heart like no one else can. So thank you for that.” Grisha raised his glass to Rowan. "You may have 25% books from the store, family discount.”

"Which is probably more than Cris himself gets so that is a huge compliment.” Alfarinn finished and drank from his glass. Just in time too because the head of Grisha's cane poked him square in the gut.

((OOC: No young loud mouthed elders were permanently harmed in the making of this post ))
Rowan held Cris against him, offering frequent kisses and surreptitious caresses as Aishe made her toast. Her words were sweet, and he beamed at her as she spoke. "She's right on all counts," he said, releasing Cris so he could go hug his daughter. SHe embraced him too, afterward, and Rowan squeezed her tight. He and Aishe had been friends, he thought, almost instantly upon meeting when she'd taken one look at him and decided his colors checked out all right, then promptly left him to ravish and be ravished by Cris. Damn good girl.

She had taken his mind off of their escape, too. He could handle a several hour long reception when a lot of it was spent talking about Cris, and then talking about him, and then talking about how much Cris loved him and he loved Cris. Those were topics Rowan never tired of.

Grisha thumped for attention next and Cris pressed his forehead against Rowan's chest, Rowan laughed softly and bent to kiss his husband once again.
"Come on now, love, it can't possibly be so bad."

It wasn't, really... Rowan had to wonder about the piercings and tattoos bit since, as a couple, he had approximately 95% of the body art between the two of them. Still, his hand drifted down to Cris's wrist and he slid his fingers beneath the cuffs of his shirt and coat to softly run his fingers over the tattoo that was there, smiling down at Cris.

Rowan listened as Grisha spoke, chuckling at the byplay between Grisha and Alfarinn. When Alfarinn appealed to Kem, the Nachton Elder managed to look oblivious, studying his glass as if he'd found a fly in it or something before looking back up innocently at Alfarinn and shrugging his shoulders, obviously refusing to get involved with a little smirk.

Grisha reminded Rowan Cris was a stubborn bastard and Rowan pulled Cris even tighter to him for a moment.
"He's my stubborn bastard," he said contentedly, "and I'm alive because he is."

When Grisha accused Aishe of troublemaking as well, she pointed an innocent finger to herself and plucked Kem's glass out of his hand to study it just as intently as he had. Rowan chuckled, but he knew what Grisha was saying. As Grisha pointed out the effect Rowan had on Cris, Rowan felt something very unusual happening - he was blushing. He could feel his cheeks growing warm and his hand tightened around Cris's waist. As Grisha finished by giving Rowan a bookstore discount, Rowan placed his hand on his chest over his heart and bowed to Grisha, smiling, laughing at his own embarrassment.

He leaned down to Cris and said softly,
"See, love? You've touched so many lives. You're an incredible man. I'm pretty sure I'm the luckiest person alive."

"That so cute," Henri said from the side. "I'm so glad I've got this recorded. It's going to go in my scrap book."

Rowan rolled his eyes at Henri, who just grinned at him and handed him a cake cutting knife. Rowan looked down at it.
"Subtle."

He handed it to Cris.
"Shall we? There's a whole Tower of people out there who may or may not be expecting cake, and might or might not be surprised to receive some."
He felt the fingers that caressed the tattoo on his wrist and he smiled. [He has plenty of tattoos and some piercings as well so he can't actually say anything. They are just well hidden.] Grisha had been part of a tribal society at some point in his human life. Which one and how long ago is still up for debate. For all Cris knew, Alfarinn could have been right about the dinosaur comment.

What he did know was that Grisha had been part of a clan before Evenhet. At one time there had been many more of them. Small families or tribes much like the human societies that existed. Anantya rose to power by gathering members through various methods and killing the opposition. Grisha's clan was one of those casualties. He was understandably suspicious of joining another.

Cris hugged Rowan close when he was claimed despite his stubbornness. He gave Grisha a smug look from his place tucked tight against Rowan's chest. His Creator spared him a brief expression of amusement before continuing on with his toast.

Grisha had actually managed to make Rowan blush. If the day wasn't worth recording before then it certainly was now. He hoped that someone was getting the whole reception on video tape but he was certain he could manage to get coverage from multiple angles from MARI.

"He is definitely right, Love.” Cris smiled and gave Rowan a tender kiss. They were allowed plenty of PDA today and he felt they should take advantage of it.

Rowan told him that he had touched many people and that he was lucky. Cris sighed softly and simply gave his husband another kiss instead of any modest disagreement.
"I feel pretty lucky myself.”

"Its god damned miracle, is what it is.” Grisha said from not far away. He then detained a server and took two glasses of mead from her tray, handing one of them to Alfarinn.

It would also seem that Cris wasn't the only one who was interested in video of the reception. Henri mused about much the same as well, seeming to find great entertainment in Rowan's statements of love and affection. Their Creators were certainly allowed their fun; they had put up with them for many centuries and Cris knew that it was all coming from a place of love.

Rowan was handed a cake knife and now everyone was looking at them expectantly. He handed it to Cris and mentioned the people who weren't here who would be getting cake.

They had decided that everyone in the two buildings should be able to share in at least some of the festivities. Both of them had very necessary jobs and they understood that someone would need to stay on duty while everyone else was enjoying a party. They had decided to do something nice for those people and thankfully Henri was willing and wonderful. He and his people went above and beyond the call of duty and created little miniature pieces of art that were almost to beautiful to eat.

Stepping up to the cake, he frowned slightly and looked over at Rowan's Creator.
"But I do not want to mess it up. It is too lovely.”

He sighed softly and waited for Rowan to place his hand over his own. Together they made the first slice and managed to get it gently onto a plate.

Cutting off a bite sized portion of that, he sent to his partner. [Say 'Ah' Love] With his ability they could warn each other before smushing a piece of wedding cake into their beloved's face. Hooray for coordination to keep from embarrassing themselves. They might need it again if they both were required to hook arms and drink but they might be spared that particular piece of wedding amusement by the fact that toasts had already been made.

((OOC: Someone is perfectly within their rights to make them do the whole simultaneous drinking thing. Cris is just hoping to avoid it. ))
"Oh there are plenty of pictures, so go make a mess," Henri said with a cheerful grin at Cris. "It was made to be enjoyed."

Rowan laid his hand over Cris's and together they sliced into the delectable confection on the lowest tier. Rowan raised his eyebrows at Cris and let his eyes travel up and down his husband's slim frame. [I'm hoping you will repeat that request not too long from now with something entirely different for me to wrap lips around,] he sent back shamelessly. Honeymoons were for lovemaking; they were about to thoroughly enjoy theirs.

For now, he obediently opened his mouth and gently took his piece of cake from the fork, glad he and Cris had agreed on no embarrassing cake spectacles beforehand. Taking a clean fork from the table he steadied the plate, cut off another small piece, and offered it to Cris in return. It was deliciously rich, almost too much for anything but a large piece, and very clearly home-made. Like anything that came from Henri's kitchen there was no 'commercial' sort of taste. No boxes involved, nothing artificially preserved. Flavors of sweet chocolate, hazelnut, and coffee lingered in Rowan's mouth, evoking pictures in Rowan's mind. He smiled and hugged his lover close.

"How many times have we sat together over coffee?" he asked rhetorically. Then his smile grew a little more impish. "Or, had to remake the coffee because it went overlooked while we were... busy."

Meanwhile, everyone applauded while Henri relieved them of the cake knife and began to expertly portion out the cake. His staff and the volunteer helpers from the Towers got busy loading up carts to bring them around to every floor. Rowan accepted another piece of cake so he and Cris could each have their own, and then looked down at Cris.

"Let's find a table, shall we? If we're lucky we might have a few minutes to actually eat our cake before someone demands that we dance."

His tone of voice made it clear that he wasn't opposed to the dancing. Not a bit. It was license to hold Cris in his arms for a few peaceful minutes and ignore the ribbing from their friends, which was highly amusing and entertaining nonetheless.

There was room for several people at each table; the penthouse suite was very large. Rowan spotted Alexander sitting at one, looking tired but not too stressed, and pointed him out to Cris.
"Should we go keep Alex company for a little bit?"

((ooc: as we plan to torment them in many other ways, we may as well let them off the hook with the drinking thing. ))
Alex Aristos 10 years ago
Alex had enjoyed the ceremony from here in the penthouse suite. He would have liked to be present but as had quickly become the norm, he was tired. He had waited here instead, glad to be sitting still. The exchange of vows had been sweet, and there had been several touching moments of laughter, but overall so much love. He had soaked up every second of it, and was glad to see his friends upstairs now. Happier still when they noticed him sitting there and headed in his direction.

He would have stood to greet them but they moved faster than he did. Rowan set his plate and glass on the table and let go of his new husband long enough to lean down and give Alex a big hug. Alex returned it with a smile.

"Congratulations," he said, hugging Cris too. As they took their seats Rowan glanced down at his plate and then looked at Alex.

"Please tell me your boyfriend is on that incredibly quick-moving line, getting you a piece of cake," the doctor said.

"Yes he is," Alex laughed, "but Henri already threatened to stuff me full of it until I begged for mercy."

Alex hadn't lost a terribly huge amount of weight since starting his treatments, but the loss did show. He'd already been slender; now he was beginning to have a lean appearance that, in his opinion, did not suit him at all. Today was a very good day though, so he would be happy to eat wedding cake until it came out his ears.

"So honeymoon in Switzerland?" He raised his eyebrows at them. "I'm jealous. Take lots of pictures, please. And if you need help, um, you know... escaping. Let me know. I can always create a distraction or something equally dramatic."

Alex would be happy to lend Cris and Rowan a hand if the playful teasing got exhaustive. God knew they'd been there for him more times than he could count. He couldn't even begin to number the times some helpful staff member had miraculously shown up when he needed a hand lately, or the endless little check-ins from his own personal fill-in doctor. He appreciated it more than he could say.
Cris smiled at Rowan when he mentioned coffee and the first day that he met Rowan came immediately to mind. "You know we should have asked Henri and Eiryk to wear bedazzled leotards to commemorate that first conversation." Grinning, he explained to everyone else. "There was talk during our first ever meeting about joining a circus. leotards and sequins were mentioned." Cris sent to Rowan an additional thought [Of course Eiryk would probably counter that he would only do it if you wore that silk and lace number that you had mentioned in the same conversation.]

The task of portioning out the cake had been taken over by the professional and that was for the best. Cris was good with knives but his practice with them usually involved poking or throwing them into other things, and or people.

Rowan mentioned sitting with Alex and Cris approved wholeheartedly with that decision. They both went to their friend's table and greeted him with hugs before he could exert himself in getting up to congratulation them.

Apparently cake was coming to Alex, whether he liked it or not, by way of Eiryk or Henri if Alex didn't eat enough of it.
"I would make sure he sees you eating the cake then." Cris grinned at Alex and then turned his smile to Rowan. "He definitely has the skill and the will to back up that force feeding claim."

Nodding to the honeymoon in Switzerland, he said. "My family home is there and I still have a place on the property. At one time having a place on the mountain side was considered a bad thing." The town had grown quite a bit since he was alive and what was further away from civilization was now nestled in a prime spot overlooking the rest of the area.

"Pictures will be taken, I promise." Cris knew that already from their recent vacation to the Caribbean. "When you are better, you and Eiryk should take a trip there. I can loan you the cabin and you both could enjoy the alpine splendor in private comfort."

Alex offered to cause a distraction and help them escape. He laughed and took a bite of his cake, sending quietly to his friend as he ate. [Hopefully you will not need to do anything like that. If you do then I suggest you spill some alcohol in the vicinity of the two Norsemen present. The two of them both rushing to save it should cause quite a commotion.] It also wouldn't involve anyone being seriously worried about the state of Alex's health, thinking he had taken a turn for the worst.

((OOC: I had this finished last night. However, I had something else up on my good word program on the tablet so I used the one that came with it instead... It was not so good and now I remember why I chose to get a new one. ))
Eiryk 10 years ago
Eiryk had been a little upset or concerned or some other faintly nagging emotion that Alex hadn't been able to attend the ceremony. So many things about these treatments, and their side effects, bothered him. He was doing his utmost to keep those worries from Alex, and everyone else, and not hover or obsess or otherwise drive Alex crazy and that was driving him a bit mad. Which he also did his best to keep from everyone else. Although Rowan and Cris had both been a great deal of help there he'd not looked to them for much the closer the wedding got especially as they were taking off for their honeymoon and he wouldn't be able to rely on them any way.

So being a bit on edge it was probably not his best idea ever to attempt to carry two pieces of cake and two glasses of mead at the same time. It hadn't been intentional, he'd meant to get two pieces of cake and rather encountered the mead on his way back and there was just no question of saying no to that and two trips seemed wasteful. There was an incredible, extremely serious look of concentration on his face as he very carefully made his way back to Alex. If he'd been dressed for battle with an ax in his hand the expression wouldn't have been out of context, carrying cake though it was rather comical. He'd only half noticed Rowan and Cris, and only then because it made a difference where he sat and set things.

Managing to get both cake and mead on the table without incident Eiryk breathed a sigh of relief. He wouldn't have forgiven himself for damaging anyone's clothes today.

"That is very probably the best cake ever, you should eat it all but if you don't want the mead, I'll have that."

He said quite cheerfully to Alex, making a note that he did need to talk to Henri about their wedding cake, but not until after Alex tried this one and agreed with him. There was very little doubt Alex would agree.

"And congratulations to you both. It really was quite lovely, even if I didn't plan it."

Eiryk grinned and needed Rowan slightly. Although he'd threatened to plan the wedding quite some time ago he'd never seriously followed though on that. Good thing too with Alex's situation he never would have been able to give both his full attention.

Two missions, cake and congratulations, accomplish Eiryk felt quite satisfied with himself and went to sit down and enjoy his cake. He did, unfortunately, miss the chair rather entirely though and wound up on the floor. At least there was no blood and no minor disaster following him, so Eiryk only sighed quietly and rolled his eyes at himself before bouncing up like a super ball and sitting down -in- the chair this time rather than near it.
Rowan could only respond to Cris's sending with what could be considered a mental grimace. [Best we didn't suggest that then, because I cannot pull off a gown nearly as well as one might think. I've been there. And no, Henri does NOT have that in his scrap book.]

Oh yes, Rowan had had occasion to wear a gown more than once, but he wasn't an attractive woman. His shoulders were way too broad, his hips far too narrow. He looked like a man in a dress. Someone slender and lithe like Cris could pull it off much more elegantly, and far more convincingly. Even Cris, though, would never be mistaken for anything but a very fit and toned woman. He might have a little more delicate appearance to him but Rowan had tasted each dip and crevice of muscle on his husband's body - there was no softness there.

As they sat with Alex, Rowan couldn't help slipping into doctor mode. It was always more difficult when one's friends were involved. Some of them didn't want to cross that line between friends and professionals; Alex was the other type. He seemed comforted that one of his friends was involved in his case. While some people had an easier time discussing medical details with a perfectly professional stranger, Alex's type of person was more comfortable discussing intimate details with close friends. Rowan was happy to help there, even if he was more emotionally invested than he would have been with a new patient. If anything happened to Alex, Rowan would be badly hurt, but nowhere near as badly than if he'd had the ability to help and hadn't tried. Some doctors felt otherwise, and wouldn't touch friends or family.

He looked well enough today though. Tired, but happy. He said Henri had threatened to feed him cake, and Cris replied to the effect that it was no idle threat. Rowan nodded enthusiastically.

"He likes you, though, which means he is likely to just make you do fun things that are good for you, and won't murder you with his pinky if you talk back to him." Rowan grinned and rolled his eyes, suggesting that Henri did the opposite with him, which was true.

"You should try growing up with him as your mentor," Rowan pointed out.

The conversation moved to their honeymoon and Rowan nodded again, letting Cris talk to Alex and only interjecting to laugh when Alex offered to help them escape. The two got on so well, and Alex always seemed happy when Cris was around. Not as happy, though, as he was when he caught sight of Eiryk. The change on his face was obvious and immediate.

Rowan had to turn around to look for his oldest friend, but when he saw him he immediately laughed. Eiryk was navigating his way across the room with the deadly expression of a man on a mission, as if his eyes could threaten the cake to stay on its plate and the mead to stay in its glass. He was pretty sure everyone at the table was holding their breath as Eiryk managed to place everything on the table, then disappeared briefly as he missed his chair entirely.

As his friend popped back up with typical resilience and a hearty congratulations, Rowan slid his hand beneath the table to rest on Cris's leg.
"I have no doubt you'll plan a wonderful wedding," he said, then he looked at Cris. "We had fun planning ours though. You can put your talents to use on your own first. What have you got planned so far?"

He took another bite of his cake, looking around to see that many people were settling down to eat, drink, and converse. He figured they would be joined by others at their table soon enough but for now it was nice to have a moment alone with their good friends.
Alex returned Cris's grin. "I plan to eat as much cake as anyone showers on me," he said. "Considering how little of a cake-like mood I've been in lately, I feel good today and I'm going to indulge. With the approval of the married couple, of course."

Alex was sick of practically starving on the days when he didn't feel well. Today was a great day, because how often could he say there was wedding cake to be had?

Cris offered to let them use his cabin if they ever visited the area and Alex perked up.
"Yeah? Really? That would be awesome. I've always wanted to go to Europe."

He obviously had never done, but it seemed like such a thing would be in his future at some point. Traveling with Eiryk would be so much fun. They could go anywhere, do anything... especially now that Alex was coming around and beginning to accept the idea that his rich fiance wanted to spoil him some. He was, at last, willing to allow himself to be spoiled a bit.

He heard Cris's voice in his head after he offered to help them get out of here and he smiled. [That's a good idea,] he sent back, [because I'm pretty sure if I went with the 'medical emergency' angle, your new husband would be the first person everyone looked for. Don't worry. I was thinking more like I'd trip Eiryk over there near that rolling cart of silverware.]

He should probably feel bad about using Eiryk to create a distraction but he suspected Eiryk would be fine with it if he knew, which he wouldn't; Alex was thoroughly convinced it would be more authentic if he kept his partner in the dark.

When Eiryk joined them and (eventually) seated himself, Alex leaned over and kissed him softly on the lips.
"Thank you for the cake. The mead is all yours, I'll get a soda in a few minutes."

He was still on a lot of medication; alcohol was a bad idea. One of the servers must have heard him, though, or else one or another of his friends had 'said' something, because a few moments later one of them brought over a glass of ginger ale and set it on the table by him. Alex turned in surprise and said,
"Thank you."

He picked up his fork and sliced off a corner of the cake, leaning down to smell it. He could practically smell the calories. It was rich; chocolate and hazelnut and coffee. Slowly he put the bite of cake into his mouth, rolling his eyes up and chewing slowly as the flavors melted over his tongue.

"Oh my God," he said. "That should be illegal."
Cris grinned at Rowan's agreement that Henri would indeed back up his claim to make sure Alex ate plenty of cake. The famed pinky finger of doom technique was mentioned again and Cris wondered if there was ever a time when Rowan believed that his Creator could kill him with one of his smallest digits. Personally, he knew Henri to be quite talented and very dangerous but Rowan might cause him to have to exert himself a little more than that.

It was an excellent threat though. If he ever created an unruly mischievous child then he might have to remember it. Aishe, despite occasional mischief, was a very good daughter with a sense of duty and sanity already present. She hadn't spent years believing in her immortality or needed centuries of oat sowing. Of course Aishe wasn't even a century old and could possibly change drastically in the future. It was a fact that Grisha occasionally mentioned with examples from their past associations. Of course his Creator actually liked Aishe very much and only said such things to tease Cris about being a 'parent'.

"You both are welcome to stay there any time you live." He told Alex when his friend mentioned wanting to go to Europe. "Switzerland is an excellent location to start from for touring other countries. The rail system in Europe is one of the best and I highly recommend traveling on it." There were other enjoyable methods of transportation, including river boats for castle tours and cable cars for mountain sight seeing but for practicality as well as enjoyment nothing beat the train, in his opinion.

They all watched Eiryk as he maneuvered carefully through the crowd with drinks and plates. Cris wondered whether several people with telekinesis were keeping an especially keen eye out for the blond. (Those who knew him at least) He made it to the table without incident but then missed his chair entirely. Cris couldn't help but grin; maybe some time far into Eiryk's future he would develop telekinesis of his own.

Eiryk conceded that the wedding was nice even if he hadn't planned it. Cris smiled and covered the hand on his leg. There was no part of his own wedding that he hadn't wanted to plan with Rowan. He liked planning and if the plans were ones of their own then they would be the most informed people at the wedding. It was the best place to be. Some people preferred to leave the planning to someone else and simply show up and enjoy the moment. He thought that made it much less personal and real somehow. A wedding was about marriage and you couldn't just show up to a marriage and expect it to all work smoothly all the time so if you couldn't bother to put in the time together planning the wedding then what did that say about your marriage? Of course some people weren't very good at planning and needed help. So long as they were involved in the decision process then that was fine; a person should know their strengths.

"Thank you. We are glad you approve." Cris gave their friend a little smirk and then smiled serenely at Rowan. "It was fun, as Rowan said, but a part of me feels relieved that the ceremony is over." Mostly he was happy that it had gone smoothly, almost completely according to plan and now they were free to enjoy themselves and then begin every day life as a married couple.

He was curious to hear Eiryk, or Alex's, answer to Rowan's question about the plans for their own wedding. Now having had some experience looking at flowers, decorations, dresses, tuxes, events, invitations and more he had a larger understanding for exactly what was involved and an appreciation for all the little details.

Alex approved of the cake and Cris hoped that Henri was in hearing distance of the praise that it was given. The Frenchman deserved every word of it...and he might be less inclined to sit on Alex's chest and stuff him full of dessert.
Eiryk 10 years ago
Eiryk, who had a tendency to plan, replan, and over plan was slightly chagrined when asked about he and Alex' plans. There were distressingly few. After all Alex had to be up and able to assist. So while some things had been don lots hadn't. Although, apparently cake tasting could be scratched of their list.

He looked At Alex not sure if he was laughing or jealous. But that was a very emphatic reaction to the desert. He honestly had no idea how Henri did it. Some people just had a knack, a passion, and then years and years and years to peruse and perfect it. Other than the Greek sitting next to him, Eiryk couldn't claim that. He enjoyed all of his little experiments but they weren't passions, at least not lasting ones, other than his mead and even that he did rather small scale. This was his first serious attempt at quantity.

"If you keep looking at the cake like that you'll make me jealous."

He finally quipped, teasing.

"Have you met the baker? Should we beg him to do ours?"

What they would offer Henri to get him out of France, again, was beyond Eiryk. They'd known each other for ages and Eiryk was quite fond of him even looking at him as sort of an Angus 2.0. But he also knew that the man didn't often leave his home, for Rowan of course but he wasn't 100% certain Henri would do so for him. The odds were good enough that he'd ask, but not so good he'd make promises to Alex.

Still grinning at Alex' expression Eiryk took a bite himself and had to work not to melt. Dear lord that was good. He was going to absolutely be begging here.

"Plans?" He asked slightly distracted by the cake. "Not as much as you'd think. A rough idea of when and for sure where and I might be kidnapping Henri at some point but nothing too solid."

He was still leaning toward a winter wedding, especially if they were going to do it in Vermont and he'd had half a dozen ideas for flowers and colors and run them all by Alex. As much as he wanted something huge and over the top Alex had talked him into something smaller and so Eiryk was working on doing the invitations himself. He'd worked on mock ups of those as well, it was something to do when he could stay with Alex during a treatment and let Alex get some input during the creation process.

"Oh I just realized with you two being officially hitched I only have to send one invite. That will save on postage. Fantastic. Who else can we get married before us?"

Lord they'd have to dig Angus out of whatever monastery he was in these days and Ines. At least she had reliable email and would probably know where Angus was. Eiryk hadn't had a letter from his creator in a few months, but that wasn't unusual.
Rowan felt a great sense of satisfaction settle over him, when Cris's hand touched his. Then he laughed when Cris expressed relief that the ceremony was over. He understood what his love meant, but he couldn't help teasing him just a little bit.

"Yup, over and done. Now the romance will die and before you know it we'll be mumbling 'good evening' to each other as we go our own ways every evening, lost in the banality of making boring breakfasts and folding each others clothing."

Then he leaned in and pressed his lips softly to Cris's temple, whispering afterwards,
"Maybe in a million years. But I doubt it, even then."

They were allowed to be schmoopy and publicly gross on their wedding night, he was sure it was written somewhere.

When Eiryk threatened to kidnap Henri Rowan laughed. A lot. He had great respect for Eiryk; he'd seen the man fight on several occasions, and in spite of his teasing that the Viking had no sense of subtlety Rowan knew Eiryk was more than capable of handling himself. But not once had Eiryk ever encountered Henri. Kidnapping him would be like trying to hold water in a sieve. Plus, Henri would then kill him in his sleep once he got free. With his pinky. Seriously.

"I don't think kidnapping will be necessary," Rowan pointed out. "Considering how long we've been friends, I think Henri might actually already be planning your menu. There are very few people he leaves France for but I think for you two he'd make an exception. He seems to like Alex, too."

Of course, Henri tended to like humans in general. He was pretty protective of them, and knowing this particular one was sick exacerbated that quality. He was distracted from that observation by Eiryk's cheerful comment about saving on postage, and he laughed again.

"You really needed postage to deliver an invitation a few flights down? What is this world coming to?"
Alex absorbed Cris's advice about travel abroad with a wide-eyed stare and another nod. He trusted a hundred percent in everything Cris (and Eiryk and Rowan) told him about traveling. They knew, after all. All three of them had good tips, and he soaked them up with the eagerness of someone who very much wanted to be experiencing it for himself.

Alex was momentarily lost in his enjoyment of the wedding confection. When he finished off the delicious bite, he shrugged his shoulders at Eiryk and opened his mouth to say something suggestive, but they were at a wedding. He closed his mouth again, then opened it to say something else, and realized that was probably also highly inappropriate. So he responded to Eiryk by gesturing to the cake, shoving another bite in his mouth, and indicating that Eiryk should do the same.

"You'd gaze at it lovingly too if you'd eat some," Alex said after swallowing. "And I've met Henri. He threatened to do something unspeakable to me if I didn't have several pieces."

Alex glanced at Rowan.
"Are you sure he's French? Maybe he has a little Greek in him? We feed people... it's our thing."

Not that the French weren't known for their incredible food, but the mothering attitude, well, not so much. Usually. Then Henri smashed that theory by appearing practically out of nowhere and sliding a second, smaller piece of cake onto Alex's plate. "Eat," he said, and disappeared again. Alex blinked and obeyed.

Rowan and Cris were, in his opinion, absolutely adorable. Rowan, as cheerful as always but more so on this night, seemed incapable of going very long without teasing someone. But he immediately recanted, and the adoration was plain on his face when he leaned in and kissed his new husband softly. Alex leaned in toward Eiryk some, sliding his chair over just a little. He knew he was the one throwing a wrench into Eiryk's planning and he felt guilty for that. In a few weeks, hopefully, they could firm things up.

The postage debate made Alex smile and roll his eyes at both Rowan and Eiryk, who never seemed to be able to not bicker playfully with each other. Old habits died hard. Alex took the moment to eat more cake. Then, in a moment of inspired brilliance he cut off a slice of cake and speared it on a fondue fork. This he dipped under the warm chocolate in the fondue pot for a moment, then popped in his mouth.

After about five seconds of chocolate bliss he allowed himself to slide bonelessly down in his chair.
"When the dancing starts," he moaned in Eiryk's general direction, "just leave me here. I'm having a love affair with the cake. I admit it now."