Late Night Studying (private)

Ran couldn't spend all of his time holed up at the Manor. Not only would it bore him to another death, but he always liked to get out and learn a new city. He enjoyed making friends, and here in Nachton in particular his persona thus far had largely been that of the clanless rogue. He was trying to be careful not to be seen consorting with too many of his own kind, and of those he tried to make them as diverse as possible. He hung out with Pak, of course, and Mara and Amir now and then though those occasions he did his best to remain at Heolfor for.

Now in the circles he'd begun moving in, a younger, hipper crowd, he was definitely developing a reputation as one of them. He was convinced that taking Mina as his familiar had been a good choice. Not only did she have a lot of friends, but she was also about to get her degree in law. Her friends enjoyed his company and he genuinely enjoyed theirs, being gregarious by nature.

Tonight, after the sun had gone down, he'd made his way to Mina's home, a building her parents owned in a nice section of the city. She shared it with Jake and two of her friends. He made it a point to visit several times a week, not just because he liked Mina herself, but because it upheld his story and he also had an obligation to her.

He knocked on the door although he could have walked right in, and he didn't have to wait very long before Mina answered. She beamed when she saw him and he felt a little surge of affection for her in return. Did he love her? No, not for a moment. Not in any kind of romantic way. Those feelings, he saved for someone else. He briefly thought of Pakpao, and then smiled and shook his head, still uncertain where that road was going.

"Ran, I'm glad you came tonight!"

Mina pulled him inside the house, twining her fingers in his and giving a little tug. Ran went along with her enthusiasm. He hadn't set any kind of boundaries with her; why bother? Mina was in thrall in a very physical and emotional way and it would have been cruel to push her away. She hadn't been a virgin when they met, Ran couldn't get her pregnant, they were both consenting adults, and neither of them had any commitments to anyone else. So when she bypassed the living room, where her two girlfriends waved at him briefly before returning their gazes to the TV, and headed for her bedroom, Ran was happy to go with her.

When they got past the doorway Mina closed it and, only then, turned back to ask, "Did you need something? What can I do for you?"

He shook his head at her.
"Nothing. I only came to visit with you."

She gave him the smile of a happy woman, never mind that that smile was artificial at least in part because of their bond. "You don't ask much of me."

Her short blond curls were artfully disheveled and Ran reached up to gently tug on one.
"I will eventually," he said. "Besides, there's definitely something I'd like... even if I don't exactly need it."

Sitting on her bed he pulled her onto his lap. He had only bitten her once since making her his familiar a couple weeks ago, and he wasn't so old that he could go long periods of time without drinking. Of course he'd fed elsewhere in addition to drinking from Mina, since he didn't want to tax her, but she didn't yet understand what could happen if he weren't careful with her and he didn't want her to find out the hard way. Thanks to Amir, who was very familiar with how thirsty a vampire could get, Ran had never killed anyone by feeding from them. He didn't want to though.

Mina's grey eyes had lit up when he'd mentioned what he wanted. She gyrated on his lap, sliding her hands up under his shirt to stroke his back. Ran was certainly capable of drinking without the act of sex, but why would he, when both parties clearly enjoyed it? He was not immune to the effects of having Mina in his lap.

"I'm all yours," she murmured in a soft tone.

"That's wonderful news," he said with an impish grin. "I'd hate to think you were someone else's."

Mina sobered and took his face in her little hands. "Never," she said solemnly, and if she hadn't been so serious Ran might have laughed. It'd have hurt her feelings though. She was new to this - she didn't realize her loyalty wasn't freely given. Or, perhaps it was at this moment but it hadn't been tested yet for her to find out that wouldn't always be the case.

"I know," he said soothingly.

Mina seemed satisfied with that, and she bent down to kiss him. There was no further conversation for the next few minutes save for the occasional moan or sigh. Ran enjoyed Mina's willingness, her feisty attitude, somewhat toned down with him but still plucky. She certainly didn't hesitate to be experimental with him here, a quality he particularly enjoyed as she slid down the length of his body and took him into her warm mouth.

At length, she moved up to straddle him again without clothing this time, and he finally did bite her as he thrust into her. She came around him and the taste of her blood, clean and fresh, combined with the heat and wetness of her body were more than enough sensation for Ran to join her. He drank lightly, and then they lay together on her bed for a while, exchanging no words, just enjoying each other.

Finally Mina stirred and raised her head. "Will you stay tonight?"

Ran didn't always; he had things to do when the sun was down and Mina knew that. He shook his head at her.
"No, but it's Friday. I'll come back for the day if you want."

Ran didn't always spend the day at Mina's. She had taken measures to make her home safe for him, though. She didn't request his presence, either, but was always happy to have it. She nodded at him. "It would be nice to have you here."

He knew he'd be safe while he slept, and at any rate he was a pretty light sleeper. He could return early in the morning before the sun came up and spend a few hours in Mina's bed with her. Then he could truly sleep once she got up... or, he'd simply spend the day here until he could safely leave the house again. Mina's plans for the weekend included Ran whenever Ran was around.

It was a satisfying arrangement for him, and if it wasn't for her then the time had passed when she'd have been able to say so. But Mina seemed happy, and Ran was duty-bound to try to keep her that way. Oh, he wasn't naive. He knew he wouldn't always manage it, but he hoped the day never came when he felt no regard at all for his familiars' state of happiness. Briefly he wondered about Jacob, who he hadn't seen when he'd come in. Maybe Mina knew how her cousin was doing.

... he'd ask her in a little while. After... well, he had an hour or two to spare before he had to go be a responsible vampire out on the town.

((ooc: Yes, Ran's going to be late or a no-show to whatever minor appointment he had planned for the night. We're unreliable, after all, and the familiar is WAY more appealing right now... both out))