Wind Down

Ambrose enjoyed playing Shades, for him it was damned relaxing. The old man's rule about no hunting made everything that much simpler as far as he was concerned. You could concentrate on the performance and the music without any other pressure real or imagined.

The Moochers had played two sets tonight. They'd finally broken out and had a good following these days so the energy on stage had been great. People had come to see them rather than just happened to have been here. They knew the songs and all the lyrics rather than just refrain. Of course if they got too much bigger Ambrose would stop playing with them. He didn't like to be a visible presence in any band and while he wasn't a member of The Moochers he was a regular.

With the shows over and the rest of the band cleared off Ambrose had found his favorite dark corner of Shades and made himself at home to listen to the next act. They weren't bad, in fact they were pretty damned good. Really though he was hoping to hear the old man play that was always a treat, but you never knew when he was going to take the stage.

For now though, Ambrose was content, he had a beer that he was nursing, he had a quiet part of the bar that was all he needed. Once he'd decompressed from the show a bit he'd go home, or out to find dinner, he wasn't sure which just yet. But as usual the adrenalin from being on stage had left him a little keyed up and no where near ready to go home.

Stranger 11 years ago
Kenny had watched the Moochers play both sets, his eyes riveted on the bass guitarist. It was the same guy who had grabbed him by the neck of his shirt when he'd first met them, the scary one the woman hung out with.

He was awesome.

Kenny was never that cool. Was it just because this guy was chilling out up on stage like it was the most natural thing in the world, with a kickass guitar? Everyone playing guitars looked cool. Kenny had tried to learn but he wasn't very musically inclined.

Three practice sessions into it, his grandparents had begged him to give it up before they were evicted from their nice little apartment in their nice little neighborhood.

Nobody understood him. How could he possibly express what was in his dark soul if every avenue of communication was cut off to him? He had tried painting for a week but it was boring. He'd attempted drawing but stick figures just weren't good at displaying the emotions he felt. Nothing worked.

He was still stuck on the idea that maybe he could be a super hero. So he watched. He had watched Ysabel too, when he knew she couldn't see him. Now he watched her boyfriend. Isaac.

Damn, even his name was cool. Anyone else Kenny knew who went around as 'Isaac' would have gotten beat the shit up in the school yard. Hell even plain old Kenny got endless shit and annoying South Park references about being killed regularly. Did wonders for his self-esteem.

He probably shouldn't have gotten into this club at all but the owner had seen him peering around the door and grinned at him. At least he thought it was the owner. Big guy, enormous guy. Fucking scary guy with shoulders and biceps like tree trunks. Kenny would have turned around and left but he dark man with the sunglasses on (at night!) had put a mammoth hand on his back and practically shoved him in the door.

"No drinking," he'd said sternly. Kenny had stared at him wide-eyed and nodded, then found himself a quiet chair in the corner from which to watch the show. Now that the Moochers were done he was slowly inching closer to Isaac, hoping he could talk to him. Or... be him. Or something.
Ambrose 11 years ago
Even though he wasn't watching his back like he had in the old days it was just habit for Ambrose to pay attention to the crowd, even when he couldn't exactly see them. It wasn't quite a sixth sense, you just knew when you were being watched and then did your best to figure out who it was or if it was your imagination. It was a hunters instinct and you never gave up being a hunter, not really, and he wondered how some older vampires dealt with it. Could you really go a thousand years or more thinking you were being watched at every turn?

Although he was doing his best to pay attention to the stage and the act Ambrose let his perception do some work and let his attention drift over the crowd. It didn't take long to figure out this wasn't his imagination. He wasn't sure if he should laugh or groan.

Damned stubborn kid.

The kid's presence irritated him. Still, thank god this was Shades and not The HoP. He tried to ignore the kid but it was hard, his instinct was to keep track of him and know what was going to happen next. Finally, without taking his eyes off the stage, he heaved a sigh and growled.

"How the hell did you slip in here? Fake ID?"

If that was the case he was going to get it away from the kid and bring him to the bouncer's attention. It would be for his own good after all.
Stranger 11 years ago
Kenny immediately stopped looking cool and misunderstood as Isaac spoke, words that had to be for him. He pointed a finger at himself, then pointed the same finger at the huge man behind the bar.

"H... he let me in," Kenny said.

In response the man in the glasses looked at Isaac, gave him a huge grin (made even more huge by his imposing size), and waggled his fingers at the other man.

"I just wanted to hang out," Kenny said. Maybe if they became friends he would learn the secret to being a superhero.

"Do you think you could show me how to play a guitar?" Kenny blurted the question out very suddenly. It hadn't been what he'd intended to ask. He was cool; he didn't ask grown-ups for favors.

But he really did want to learn, maybe.
Ambrose 11 years ago
You just didn't argue with Shades on something like this. It was his place after all. Even if it hadn't been his place the old man had a force of character that you just didn't argue with, so all he could do was sigh and leave the kid alone.

"You don't have a better place to hang out?”

Ambrose had hung out in places like this and he'd had more than a few problems when he was about Kenny's age, give or take. So as gruff as that sounded Ambrose was actually looking out for the kid a little bit. Of course, relatively speaking Shades was a hell of a lot safer than the saloons of his youth.

The questioned startled Ambrose, who covered his surprise by taking a drink of his beer. The last thing he wanted was to give this kid an excuse to hang around. Besides, he liked his groupies with less testosterone and more snackable. While he might occasionally make a meal of a guy it wasn't his first choice and he also had a feeling that Belle wouldn't approve at all of doing that to the young man.

"I'm not exactly a great teacher kid. Have you thought about just taking a class?”
Stranger 11 years ago
Kenny swung his feet against the huge bar stool. "I guess I could join a gang, or maybe sell drugs or something."

Yeah, it was a pretty blatant guilt trip. But Kenny had no pride, really. It it kept him here he would be happy for it. He really wanted to hang around with Isaac. The man in question took a big drink of his beer and Kenny felt particularly childish, not having one too. Of course it wasn't legal and the big guy with the glasses might eat him for dinner or something.

It was made worse by the fact that the big huge man in question was suddenly leaning across the bar handing him a glass with something in it. It was brown and... what the hell? It was chocolate milk. With a swirly straw.

"Oh come on," Kenny called to the big man but he was already walking away, huge shoulders shaking as he laughed.

Kenny glowered at him and then sipped at his chocolate milk. Through the straw.

When Isaac asked him why he didn't take lessons he shrugged.
"They cost money," he mumbled. "I live with my grandma and grandpa. They're on social security."

That much at least was true. Kenny was aware that he could maybe look up guitar playing online or something, but he lacked the motivation and ambition for that. He was still trying to find himself, really. Until he figured that out how could he know what the right method was to appropriately express the deep and dark emotions within him?
Ambrose 11 years ago
Ambrose just snorted at the blatant plea for sympathy, besides, he really didn't buy it and said as much.

"If you were going to do that you'd have done it already.”

There were also scarier things than him lurking in dark corners of Nachton, or any other city really. Given how the kid had reacted to him he doubted that he'd be able to handle anything more intimidating.

He was forced to cough to cover a laugh as Shades brought over a chocolate milk. The old man had a sense of humor, you had to give him that. The straw was a nice touch as well.

Damned this kid was laying it on thick with the social security crap. For a second Ambrose wondered if he qualified. He sure as hell was hold enough and he'd been paying into it since its inception. Maybe he ought to talk to his accountant about that. Compound interest and investments weren't doing as much as they could and he'd like to do a bit more for Belle than he could currently. Sure she was rich and they didn't exactly -need- more money, it was probably a presumptuous male chauvinist attitude on his part, he didn't care.

"So they took you in and now you have to deal with nothing but baloney and canned beans every night and undoubtedly the roof needs fixing and the cat needs and operation.”

He wasn't chasing the kid off, not if Shades had given his blessing, but that didn't mean he couldn't reality check him a bit.

Having drunk his beer a bit faster than he intended, Ambrose signaled for another one.

"So you a fan of music?”
Stranger 11 years ago
Kenny frowned into his cup of milk. He would have done it already? Maybe he should consider it then. But bars were all full of smoke, and gangs... he could really get hurt! Drugs, too... trafficking them wasn't a safe hobby. He didn't want to end up in jail. He'd get raped like crazy.

Isaac seemed very unsympathetic to his troubles; that made him frustrated. He shook his head 'no' to his list of issues and said,
"No, we don't have a cat. And we eat fine, I guess, if you like collard greens."

His grandparents had lived most of their lives in Louisiana, only moving to Nachton to be near their remaining children after Kenny's parents had died. They had brought southern cooking with them and Kenny despised it. The vegetables were cooked to mush, everything else was deep fat fried. He supposed many of his peers would have liked that but deep fat frying gave him acne. He was sure of it.

Then Isaac asked him about music; oh yes, Kenny could answer this one.
"Doesn't everyone love music?" he asked. "I always thought if maybe I could learn to play then I might be able to make people understand how I feel inside. Nobody really gets me."

He could go on about himself and his deep dark feelings for ages. That was his forte. But some spark of common sense told him that that was not the way to go with Isaac so he stopped there and waited, eyes big, sipping at chocolate milk through a swirly straw.
Ambrose 11 years ago
"Damned, I haven't had collard greens since.... well since my mother made them.”

That was to say more than a century ago. His folks had been southern, he didn't remember much of the south, not the old south any way. It had been one of the things his mother had brought with them. They didn't grow terribly well in the New Mexico territory but she had insisted and they did a damned site better than okra, so his father had indulged her.

It was an odd memory. He hadn't thought about his mother in a very long time. But Ambrose shrugged it off.

God help him, the kid was in that angsty emo stage that it seemed like every teenager went through. Hell he supposed even he'd had that experience, but he'd not admit to that.

Ambrose, however, scowled. He didn't like to it when you thought about music that way. Sure you expressed yourself and it wasn't always upbeat dance songs but getting lost in maudlin self pity didn't help anyone. Not you and not your audience.

His new beer was brought and Ambrose considered it for a moment trying to decide how much he wanted to share. He hated sharing, well feeling and touchy feely crap any way. Tonight though, he cracked just a little.

"I started playing when I was laid up pretty bad, not something you just recover from. I didn't give a damned if people got me or not it gave me something else to think about. Helped me move on.”

It wasn't a full recovery. Most people would tell you he still hadn't quite fully recovered but music had gotten him started in the right direction, Belle and Midnight and even the waif had gotten him most of the way there. But music had been the start, and that was his point, in a round about way. Get over it or at least think about getting over it.
Stranger 11 years ago
Kenny almost smiled when Isaac said his mother made collard greens. Then he remembered the dark-hearted did not smile, not even while drinking chocolate milk through a sippy straw. He tried to look appropriately internally conflicted.

Then Isaac said he used music to get past a difficult time in his life. "So you used music to help you," he said cautiously. "Why is it so bad that I want to be understood?"

Kenny wasn't very good with deep philosophical thoughts, which made it sort of tough when that was the basis of his personal image but he was working on it. In this case, if Isaac found music helpful for what he wanted, why wouldn't Kenny find it helpful too, even if his values were different from Isaac's?

He was sort of confusing himself, however. Kenny couldn't handle deep thoughts for long. Instead he returned to the basis of the conversation.
"So... you won't help me learn at all?"

His face fell; he really did think Isaac was pretty damn cool. Obviously not a kindred spirit, but he seemed so tough and uncaring and aloof. And then, the super powers. Holy crap, the super powers. Kenny knew better than to bring those up though. He remembered Isaac's reaction the last time.
Ambrose 11 years ago
Ambrose looked very tired for a second. He didn't do deep philosophical discussions, he didn't do nurturing, he didn't do hand holding. He simply didn't have the skills to explain to this kid about wanting to be understood, and it was, frankly, hard to relate to the desire. He wished Belle was here, she was much better at this kind of thing.

"Listen, kid...” He thought a second and scrounged up the kid's name from somewhere in his memory. "Kenny, you take this with grain of salt but I've found that being 'understood' is a bunch of crap. Best you can do is work out who you are, know what you are doing, why you're doing it and for who and go on from there. The world at large generally tends not to care about one person.”

Not until that one person tried to kill a bunch of other people or something dramatic. Still, he wasn't entirely stratified with his answer, it was harsh. Truths he'd learned and lived by when he was about Kenny's age and he did still hold to them. But he tried to channel something softer, no point in scaring the kid as bad as he'd been.

"If you want people to care, try caring about them. Put yourself out there and do something good.”

There, Belle should be proud. He'd been supportive and hadn't eaten any one.

And then they were back to the guitar. Ambrose counted to ten, well he tried, he got as far as seven and that kept him from totally loosing his temper. Still his answer was a bit sharper that it could have been.

"I don't do lessons. I can give you the names of some folks who do and I know one of them you can swap odd jobs for the lessons rather than paying her.”

Eliza was a kook. She was more than slightly agoraphobic and didn't go out at all and she was starting to get up there age wise. But she was a brilliant guitar player and had been a teacher. She'd also have enough stories to keep the kid interested and she wasn't a vampire so he didn't have to worry about keeping Kenny safe, well not that way at any rate.
Stranger 11 years ago
Kenny felt himself deflate as Isaac spoke. Maybe he was wrong; maybe cynical and cool was just plain cynical. He couldn't find it in himself to feel like wanting to be understood was wrong. Isaac probably had millions of fans and groupies who did nothing but understand him. Kenny just had Kenny.

"I know the world doesn't care," he said. Of course it didn't care. It was a cruel cold place.

Isaac went on to tell him to go do something good. Kenny supposed he might possibly still be holding a grudge against him for trying to steal Ysabel's purse and he was smart enough to recognize that that wasn't a very smart course of action (and that he hadn't been very good at it, considering how easily his first and last attempt had been foiled). But what did Isaac want him to do?

"So... what do you do, volunteer at soup kitchens in your spare time or something?"

Kenny had been a mouthy little brat all his life. He did still remember how Isaac had used some kind of crazy Jedi mind trick on him so he wasn't really trying to piss him off again, but he didn't seem like the charitable sort.

He looked down when the man he was trying to continue idolizing (even though it was getting more difficult to do by the moment) offered to give him some names.
"Okay," he said. "I could work for it."

He didn't want to work for it, not really. But he kind of did want to learn music, so maybe he could manage it for now.
Ambrose 11 years ago
That startled a laugh out of Ambrose. Yeah the kid had a smart ass mouth on him and no Ambrose didn't like it but that little bit of a spark, of fight, in this instance he approved of it. Very few people would have called him on his charitable contributions to mankind, but he couldn't blame Kenny for being rather sarcastic about good advice that wasn't followed.

He turned and looked at the kid a bit more closely. He still wasn't exactly impressed, but maybe there was more than met the eye here. Just maybe. Odds were he was still one of the spoiled pampered masses who had no idea how good they had it, but there was some spirit even if the kid was doing his best to smother it under mountains of black everything.

"Yeah. Not so much.” He answered with a wry smile as he took another drink of his beer. "You still might want to try it though.”

For a second he was tempted to use Command to ensure that Kenny would follow up on that suggestion, but the idea didn't last long. Punk or not the kid had a right to live his how life and Ambrose of all people really had no idea what was best for him. So he wouldn't meddle.

Although he wasn't entirely convinced by the idea that Kenny would work for it, seemed no one worked these days everyone wanted something for nothing, he decided to go on face value. He'd just warn Eliza that the kid might flake on her. She knew the type.

"Good. Won't be hard work if I know Eliza.”

He pulled out his wallet and found a card for The Moochers, no real information there nothing that couldn't be found on line, just the website and a fan email address really and wrote her name, address and phone number on the back.

"I'll tell her to expect your call. I think you'll like her, Eliza is a friend of mine, did a lot of studio and back up work in her day. Even taught me a trick or two.”

She had worked with some very big names too, names even Kenny would recognize, if he bothered to ask rather than just slouch around take the lessons and leave. He really hoped the kid wouldn't steal something from Eliza like he'd tried from Belle. Ambrose would never forgive himself if something happened to her as she really wasn't in a place to defend herself any more.
Stranger 11 years ago
What was the word for it? Hypocrisy? Isaac seemed okay with it though, as he encouraged Kenny to try the aforementioned soup kitchen volunteer work. Kenny sighed. He wasn't soup kitchen material. In fact, more than once, his grandmother had chased him out of hers for destroying some dish or plate or whatever.

"Sure, maybe," he muttered around his swirly straw, staring sullenly at the ground. "I'll go sign myself up."

It was clear that Isaac was just trying to get rid of him now. Kenny watched bleakly as he wrote down this teacher's name on the back of a card. Taking it, he jammed it into his pocket with his wallet and said,
"Okay, thanks. I'll give her a call."

He might actually do it, too. He really kind of did want to learn to play. he had wanted to learn from Isaac though. The guy with the super powers. Whose girlfriend also had super powers. Freaky ones; he didn't know which ones were scarier, Isaac's mind-mojo or Ysabel's floating ghost thing.

Sliding off his chair Kenny brought his glass of chocolate milk, now empty, back to the bar. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to pay for a drink he didn't order but the guy with the sunglasses was enormous and terrifying. He figured it was best not to take a chance, so he slid a five dollar bill onto the bar and turned to go.

"I'll see you around, Mr. Isaac," he said as he passed by the gruff guitarist on his way out. "Thanks for the number."

He left the bar, already back in his usual brooding form. Once out on the street he reached into the pocket of his black sweater to pull out his i-pod and listen to some Cradle of Filth, which suited his mood nicely, only to discover when he stuck his hand in that his five dollar bill was in his pocket once again. He knew it had to be the same one; he'd only had one.

He jumped, looked around, and, seeing no one, continued down the street as fast as he could go without running.

((ooc: Kenny out))
Ambrose 11 years ago
Ambrose watched the kid go. He wasn't quite sure what to make of Kenny, of course he wasn't trying to hard either. He was a sullen mouthy brat, but he saw something decent in the boy. Buried a bit and he hadn't quite forgiven Kenny for the purse snatching attempt, but something decent.

He really did hope that the kid called Eilza, it would do them both a world of good.

He lounged about for a bit longer, sending Eilza a quick text to let her know the kid might call, and finishing his beer but the days when he'd just aimlessly hang out at a bar were over. God he was getting old and domesticated or some damned shit. He'd much rather be home with Belle. Any other bar he'd probably try and get a meal out of the deal, but tonight he just settled up and with a nod to the old man excused himself.

He couldn't quite get Kenny out of his head though. Not that he was worried about it, by the time he got home life would be as it should.

((OOC... Ambrose out too))