Where Did I Put That Silver Lining? (private)

It was mid day, but Rowan was not completely dead to the world. That was how he would normally be but things were not normal. It had been a week since the fire in the hospital. Brand was gone. He and Cris had been fine by the next morning, physically. Henri had somewhat reluctantly gone back to France just last night, after determining that there was nothing left for him to help with, really. It was the most reluctant Rowan had ever seen him to go back to the city he loved so much he'd spent over a thousand years in it.

Jamie was out of the hospital, although even Rowan's efforts in the store room had not kept the little boy unscathed. He'd had some pretty bad burns on the side of his jaw and beneath his ear. He would have scars, and he was missing the very bottom of his ear lobe. Otherwise he was also physically all right. Becky seemed grateful but Rowan just felt guilty. His head knew that nothing that had happened was his fault, but in his heart he kept going over 'would have should have could have' until he wanted to throw up.

Right after the incident he had slept soundly, safe with Cris, vastly relieved to know they were over the worst of it, and so exhausted he could hardly have done otherwise. On the second night he'd had trouble sleeping, and things had begun to get worse from there. Every time he closed his eyes he saw flames, felt them licking at his skin. He saw Brand shift into a gigantic burning wolf, leaving trails of fire everywhere he ran. He heard Cris crying out in pain, heard the voices of dozens of children terrified and dying.

A few nightmares wouldn't have bothered him but it was getting worse. Rowan had such a difficult time waking up that when he did dream badly, he was stuck in it. He was starting to get anxious about sleeping, feeling his heart pound faster when it came time to head upstairs for the day. He went, of course, because lying next to Cris was relaxing as long as he wasn't having night terrors.

He couldn't count how many times he'd woken poor Cris out of a sound sleep. His partner slept far too lightly, it seemed, and Rowan felt terrible that Cris was suffering too. So here he lay, in their large comfortable bed, trying oh so carefully not to move at all for fear that he might wake Cris yet again, just when it seemed like his lover might actually be sleeping soundly. Rowan was due to go back in to work in the next day or two and he didn't relish the prospect.

He tried to focus on his book but found himself reading the same page over and over again. With a soft sigh he put it down and closed his eyes. He had gotten snatches of naps here and there, but he hadn't slept for more than an hour or three at a time since they'd come home. Outwardly, he thought it might be starting to show although he was trying to stay upbeat and cheerful. The last thing he wanted to do was worry Cris, but unfortunately Cris was probably the one person in the world he'd never hidden a single thing from, and therefore Rowan was pretty sure in spite of his best efforts, Cris knew exactly what was going on.

Christian Bern 11 years ago
"Guess we didn't like that book.” Cris murmured softly, his eyes still closed. He would have never thought that he could get used to sleeping in the same bed with someone but that was before Rowan. He had slept much better with Rowan in the bed, at least before Brand. He was very much aware of when his partner was sleeping and when he was awake. It changed the way Rowan felt, muscles relaxed, face placid, body still or ...not. He knew that occasionally his partner would lay there are pretend to be sleeping for his benefit but he could tell the difference even with his eyes closed. At least this time Rowan had chosen to read but apparently that wasn't going well either.

Cris rolled over and opened his eyes. "I am sorry, Love.” He wrapped one arm over both of Rowan's legs and laid his head against his partner's thigh. "We could watch a movie or something.” He would probably fall asleep during it but it might hold Rowan's attention.

He was worried about Rowan's lack of sleep. Soon Rowan would return to work and if he didn't manage to get some decent rest then he was going to make mistakes. Cris knew that Rowan would never forgive himself if a child died because he was not at his best. Surely Rowan knew that also and it added to the pressure he was feeling to try and sleep despite the nightmares.

"Or we could take a walk through The Towers. Drop in on Alfarinn and rearrange all his furniture while he sleeps...make paper airplanes and fly them through the lobby...”

Looking up at Rowan, smiled. "Your choice.” Just so long as it wasn't cleaning. Cris had never thought his place was dirty by any stretch of the imagination but Rowan had found all kinds of little cleaning chores to keep himself busy. Everything was dusted, silver and wood had been polished, closets had been gone through and aired out, old clothes had been mended, and plenty of other little chores. The house was now the model of efficiency. Cris had carefully hidden the label maker before Rowan got any ideas.
Rowan Murphy 11 years ago
Rowan glanced down and to the side when Cris spoke. God, he was sure Cris had been sleeping at last. Damn his constant vigilance and light-sleeping habits! Rowan briefly considered sleeping down in the guest room for a little while, but the idea of not being in the same bed as Christian was so unappealing. Even so, if he'd thought Cris would like it better he'd have gone. He just didn't think Cris would.

His partner rolled over, looking up at Rowan with those gorgeous blue eyes Rowan loved, with their soft fringe of blond lashes and vivid color beneath. As Cris re-settled himself against Rowan's leg Rowan put his book aside and shifted a little, sliding slightly further down to make a better pillow for Cris and wrapping his arms around him.

"No, I'm sorry," he said when Cris sympathized. "I'm keeping you awake and I'm making you worry and that's not fair."

Cris offered several suggestions, some of which were every bit as mischievous as he knew his partner could be. He chuckled at the ideas his sleepy boyfriend came up with and tightened his arms around him, his heart giving a little squeeze. He was lucky to have Cris. Lucky to have someone who loved him enough to put up with this, when all was said and done and they should be celebrating the fact that Good had won and all of that.

Rowan ran a hand through Cris's hair and caressed the back of his neck. The motion was something Cris seemed to enjoy and Rowan loved to do anything Cris enjoyed.
"Tempting though it may be to disturb all of Alfrainn's things, I don't see how that would possibly lead to a decent night's sleep," he said, smiling softly. "I think you're just trying to get me in trouble along with you. That's naughty."

He bent his head down and kissed Cris. "I like it when you're naughty."

Naturally, nightmares and poor sleep had not dampened Rowan's natural enthusiasm for physical affection. If anything, he had gotten worse. It was a very pleasant distraction, and he found that if he was exhausted enough afterward, he usually did get an hour or two of fairly undisturbed rest before the nightmares began. Maybe he should go down to the gym. It was early enough in the morning, Alex might be around. He was getting downright decent with a foil and Rowan could poke at him some. Or test the gym equipment and see how exhausted he could get himself on his own. He couldn't always rely on Cris.

"Maybe a movie," he suggested, knowing that at least he could watch it while Cris dozed off. "You can stay here though love. I hate waking you up."

But he loved knowing that Cris was still there. He dreaded going back to work, really. When he did, so would Cris, and that security blanket he had would fall away. He'd never needed any such thing in his life before, but having Cris had changed him in many ways, not the least of which was the fact that he really had learned to rely on someone else for strength when he needed it. He was beginning to rely too heavily on Cris, though, and his stoic partner would probably never say a word even if it became too much.

He didn't think Cris would relish the idea of going to sleep while Rowan stewed and fretted. It wasn't Cris's way. Worry would have him too tense to relax. They seemed to feed off each other that way, which made Rowan feel even more pressure to go the hell to sleep and stay that way. Maybe going back to work would actually help. It might take his mind off of everything, getting back into his routine of... well, overworking with very little sleep. Why was sleep such a precious commodity nowadays?
"A lot of things haven't been fair recently but I hardly feel a little lost sleep for me counts as unfair.” Cris smiled. "I have you and that is probably unfair somewhere. It is like I have won the romance lottery. I am sure everyone is jealous.”

He sighed happily as Rowan's fingers caressed his neck, his eyes closing. Cris fought sleep and snapped them open again as his lover proclaimed him naughty for trying to get him trouble. "He will blame it on Artemis we would be safe. Reliable, dependable Bern would never do such a thing and his handsome redheaded partner is also much too nice a guy.” Alfarinn would start with Artemis and then move right on to Cris when that first investigation proved erroneous. The man had empathy and investigation skills which made him dangerous. His friend also knew that, despite rumors to the contrary, his Chief of Security had a sense of humor.

Raising his eyebrows, he accepted a kiss and Rowan's approval of his naughtiness. "Hmmph, you're just trying to encourage me to get us both arrested for some kinky jail cell sex. I know you.” Cris smiled, loving all Rowan's fantasies despite his protest.

"I can sleep on the sofa as well as here. I will sleep better with you around.” He would prefer to sleep better with Rowan sleeping soundly but at least he would be there in case Rowan needed him.

With a soft groan of effort, he pushed himself up to a sitting position and then climbed out of bed. "Do you have an idea of what you want to watch?”

He thought for a moment and then decided that he needed some tools from his 'home office' which was more a craft room with a desk. Cris rarely did actual work from here but the desk was a great place to work on miniature metal and wood pieces.

"I am going to collect a few things. I will join you on the sofa. Can you start some coffee?”
Rowan thought it was more like a lot of lost sleep, personally, but if Cris was inclined to be forgiving, well, Rowan wouldn't complain. He only hugged Cris tighter, continuing to laugh softly as Cris spoke.

"Who says we need to get arrested to have kinky jail sex?" Rowan asked, grinning down at Cris. "Just no handcuffs, and we'll be good. I liked those zip ties."

Oh yes. Getting arrested by Cris was fun. Definitely fun. At least if you were Rowan.

He made a soft sound of dismay as Cris pushed himself away. Clingy was clingy... Rowan would have happily carried Cris downstairs so as not to have his partner leave his embrace.

"Something lighthearted," Rowan said, rolling out of bed himself, tugging the covers up to straighten them a bit, and placing his abandoned book on the nightstand. "I'll find something."

When Cris requested coffee Rowan raised his eyebrows, crossing the room to his boyfriend, tilting his chin up, and leaning down to kiss him softly.
"Coffee? But you're supposed to sleep. At least one of us should, love."

Nonetheless as they headed downstairs Rowan went toward the kitchen to get it started; he wouldn't mind a caffeine jolt if he were going to stay awake. Maybe the subsequent crash combined with Cris in his arms would make sleeping happen.

Before long coffee was brewing and Rowan had retrieved a couple of pillows and a blanket to turn the comfortable sofa into a bed. He had retrieved something suitably lighthearted to watch, Spirited Away, one of his personal favorites, and it was ready to play.

All he needed was a cup of coffee and a particular smallish blond vampire to hold and he'd be ready to brave the day. If this didn't work maybe he could get Cris to sleep while he tried the gym. Rowan had no idea how long he'd have to work out to wear himself out but he might as well learn. That involved not being with Cris, however, so it was not the top solution on his list.
Cris grabbed up the supplies that he needed and the little side project that he had been working on from time to time when Rowan was scheduled to work during his days off. It was rare; Cris had the luxury to plan his days off around Rowan's but occasionally emergencies happened at the hospital and Rowan was called in on a day that had been previously slotted as a non-working day.

As he came back down the hall he could smell the coffee brewing. Cris set his things down on the table and then arranged his tray of metal parts, gadgets, tools, wire, whirligigs and other assorted gizmos. The shape of the project was clear. It already had most of the base and just needed sails and ropes on the three masts to be a detailed frigate. There were little raised gears here and there on the deck, railing, mast and crow's nest.

Holding up his box of people, Cris showed the first detailed one to Rowan. It was a little redheaded pirate with a lot of piercings wearing a green coat with gold brocade and wielding two sabers. He then held up a little blonde pirate wearing all black carrying a pistol in one hand a saber in the other. "I had intended to make it for you as a present some time but I had this idea.”

He sat down on the floor in front of the sofa that Rowan had made into a bed. "I was thinking that we could give it to Jamie?” Cris looked up at his partner to see what he thought of the idea. "I can make you another but perhaps he might like it.”

Setting the people back down in the box, he pointed toward the ship. "See, I had this idea. Between the two of us, we could make it into a game. Each time it is played there is a new adventure. We would need someone with a good imagination and excellent handwriting to make cards for each of the characters, listing their special skills and different traits and their pirate names, of course. If you happened to know such a person that would be helpful...” Cris smiled and added. He pointed to the little places on the ship. "Each little slot is a different activity on the ship. In the beginning we can have people randomly get a job they have to carry out. Which puts them in their places. Then we can have events, both good and bad that happen to the pirates. I think the goal of the game might be to make it to captain of the ship."

"What do you think? Do you like it? Does it sound like a good idea?” Cris gave Rowan an uncertain look; he would have loved it as a child but that had been so long ago. Did children still play with toy soldiers and the like or did they just play video games? He wanted to make it a game that Jamie could play with his mother or his friends. One that would be a new experience each time and was better by people getting into playing their different characters. But for all he knew children didn't play make believe in the real world these days and every bit of it was done while looking at a screen. "I do not want it to seem...lame."

Pressing on, he said. "I only made the two of us so far.” He showed Rowan the box of people blanks. "I can make Jamie and Becky and a lot of the hospital staff. You would be better suited to assigning talents to them and maybe we can interview them and ask what they would choose as a pirate name if they could have one.” He was hoping that Rowan could really get into the project. This was as much for his wonderful partner as it was for Jamie. It would be a lot of work, creating the cards, writing the scenes, making chance cards, loot cards and other things they might think of in the course of creating the game. It would be better than cleaning and since it was for Jamie Rowan might truly get into it with an interest that he might not have placed in it had it just been for himself.
Rowan watched Cris approach with a tray and a box, instantly curious about what his lover had been doing. It was very obvious what it was, at least the ship anyway, and he beamed at the two little pirates. He didn't say anything at all while Cris explained what was basically a gift and a game. The concept was delightful, and he turned the little Rowan pirate around in careful fingers as he felt himself grinning.

He slid off the couch and onto the floor next to Cris, fascinated by the concept.
"Cris, this is incredible."

He leaned over and kissed Cris soundly on the lips, unable to wipe the smile off his face.
"It's not lame. It's adorable. I love it. Jamie would love it."

Jamie had gone through a serious pirate-loving phase not too long ago, and while he was currently investigating ninjas, Becky had assured Rowan that her son was still very much in the pirate corner and would he please stop filling Jamie's head with all kinds of odd stories, thank you very much. She had seemed particularly perturbed that her son had attempted to build a plank and then make her walk off of it... all six inches, to the garage floor. The memory of the dressing-down Rowan had gotten about it the next day at work made him laugh.

"How did you ever come up with this?" He inspected the ship with wide eyes, loving the detail Cris had put into it. "God, yes, I want my own. With diligence and hard work I could work my way up from poop-deck swabber to scurvy bastard!"

He tore his eyes away from the boat to look at Cris.
"Do you think Becky would prefer to be known as a wench or a harlot? No, neither would do. We'd have to give her another title."

Becky's history was sketchy enough that Rowan suspected a title like that, even meant in jest, would hurt her.
"Maybe we can make her the Dread Pirate Becky. I'd suggest Bluebeard but she might injure me."

He couldn't tear himself away from the game, not even to hit 'play.' He was yawning, yes, but he was excited about what Cris had done. With him in mind, too! How did one ever describe the feeling they got when someone was thinking of them enough to do this sort of thing? He was warm and happy, in spite of being ridiculously tired.

He was babbling now but it was because he really did love the idea. He was already thinking about writing out the cards Cris had suggested. He could do them in the style he used to have to forge their shipping documents in.
"Maybe I could make the card edges look worn and antiqued."

Rowan had forgotten about his movie at that point. He was too fixated on Cris and his project. The aroma of coffee finally got through to him. He stood, gently touched Cris's shoulder to say he'd be right back, and made two cups of coffee, Cris's style. He returned quickly to the living room floor, handed Cris a mug, and then tugged the blanket from the couch down to his shoulders, extending it to Cris in offer.

"Have I mentioned lately how wonderful you are," he said, smiling at his partner. He kissed Cris gently once more. "I love you so much."
Cris smiled and looked relieved when Rowan seemed to approve of the idea and think that Jamie would enjoy it as well. He loved kids but he had very little chance to work with them. Rowan saw them every day and seemed to have an instant connection with everyone under the age thirteen.

Shrugging slightly when asked how he had come up with such a thing, Cris waved his hand toward the kitchen where most of his little gadgets appeared in his home. "Its something I do in my spare time.” He grinned and glanced sideways at Rowan. "I will admit to having much less of it recently. There will be a lot of sad children this Christmas. Someone has managed to captivate this particular elf and he has not been spending as much time making things.” He usually gave toys to the children at The Towers and anything left he donated to random causes, in the past he had even brought some to the Hospital but they weren't quite the cuddly comforting toys that he expected most seriously ill children needed. He could be wrong; he would have to ask Rowan if he managed to have any left over this year; which, at this rate, he doubted.

"You want one of the games?” Cris thought Rowan might want another of the ship with the moveable people but they could make another game. "We can make ours and man it with Evenhet.” It would be fun to have a little Alfarinn, Aishe, Kem, Eiryk and Alex on the ship along with them. He scratched his temple thoughtfully. "Maybe have some more adult situations. We could...” Again Cris glanced at his partner. "Even make it into a drinking game, I would imagine.”

He laughed at Rowan's names for Becky and shook his head at all of them. "I would say we could call them up and ask. Some of them are at work now. Tell them to think of a pirate name but don't tell them why. You can threaten them with coming up for a name for them if they don't choose one of their own. That should get some results.” Cris smiled slyly at Rowan, knowing his lover's amazing powers of persuasion. His partner's co-workers did not know about his hobby but they did know Rowan and could probably tell when the redhead had something up his sleeve. At least when Rowan wanted them to know.

"I think that would be a nice touch.” Having all the cards look weathered would keep everything in the same theme. "Maybe we can make cards for the land and water also.” Cris reached a handful of flat gears. "Imagine these as printed with random terrain.” He laid them out in front of the ship in a pattern. "Maybe the can start with the immediate area around the ship as flipped over where it can be seen. Then each person is dealt some terrain cards. On their turn they can place a piece down onto the expanding map, where ever they want so long as it touches one of the ones already around.”

Cris took his coffee cup with a soft 'thank you'. He sipped it while frowning down at the ship and the gears. "These would have to be gigantic blocks of map. The ship is pretty big.” It was bigger than a toaster, almost as big as a bread box. "Maybe that's not such a good idea.”

"I love you too.” Cris replied after accepting another kiss from Rowan. It made him happy that the idea was interesting to his partner. That was what he had hoped to accomplish; if Rowan thought him wonderful for that then he would take that too...and the kisses.
Rowan immediately felt a wave of guilt when Cris said he hadn't had very much time for this particular hobby, and that there might be sad children at Christmas. His hands faltered in their exploration of the ship and its parts, and he took them away lest he inadvertently break something. He knew Cris was jesting with him, mostly, and it wasn't normally something that would bother him, but there had been enough injured children because of him recently.

He cleared his throat, swallowed, and nodded his head when Cris asked if he wanted one of the games, surprised to find he'd been close to tears. What the hell? Rowan wasn't sure where that had come from. Lack of sleep maybe. He tried to ignore it.

"Yeah, I want one as a game," he said, with an effort at his usual cheerful smile. He leaned over and rested his head on Cris's shoulder as Cris managed to state exactly what he'd been thinking. "Yes, that's just it." His grin was back, just like that, at the thought of seeing their friends in pirate form.

He thought about the terrain idea.
"How about if each one represents its own unique port? Different events could happen in each one, and maybe they have to succeed at one before they can unlock other ports."

Call him crazy, but sailing had been very much about going from place to place with various things happening on the way there, but most of the voyage spent getting ready for the next smuggling mission or the occasional act of piracy at sea.

"We could also have things randomly happen during travel," he suggested slowly, trying to think how it would be accomplished. "Maybe by rolling a dice or something."

He drank his coffee slowly, enjoying the taste of the brew which he'd added cream and sugar to. He took his differently each time but this time he had made his the way Cris liked it. He would admit that that was because he found being with Cris comforting. Safe. The coffee tasted like him, the blanket he'd tugged around them smelled like the two of them, everything he'd done had been a conscious (and sometimes subconscious) effort to keep his partner close to him. He wondered if that bothered Cris, to be smothered so, even indirectly. He was going to have to get a grip soon enough.

"I'll ask them at work when I get back," he said, returning his thoughts to the topic at hand. "About the pirate names. It'll keep them from asking questions about the other stuff."

He didn't want to go back to work and get quizzed on what had happened last week. He knew he was going to. Once again, somehow, he was the hospital hero for having run into a burning room. He'd sat there terrified. Cris and his team were the ones who deserved the accolades.

Cris cast a sideways glance at Rowan when he heard him clear his throat. Of course he checked his partner's aura, to see what was the matter; if it hadn't been habit before then it certainly had become so these past few days. He reached out and squeezed Rowan in a hug. "This year we can work on toys together. We could make even more and come up with things like this.” Not exactly like the pirate ship, it was intricate and time consuming but something that used both of their talents to make something unique that neither of them would have been able to make alone. "Perhaps we could make different themed board games for the hospital children's wing?” He leaned over and kissed Rowan on the cheek. "Only if you want to.” He would like to make things with Rowan. They would be spending time together while doing something for children.

Rowan suggested each one be a different port. Cris took a sip of his coffee and considered it. "That could work really well. How about different ports, deserted islands, open sea, another ship, etc. We can call it a location deck and only certain actions can be done at certain locations. Hiding treasure, getting supplies, raiding ships... Then we would need an action deck. Maybe they start with a hand of five or seven cards. They get to do an action and move on their turn and discard one card they don't want. We need some actions to be able to be done anywhere, some in multiple places and some only in one specific type of place. "

"Oooh, giant sea monster attacks the ship!” Cris grinned when Rowan suggested rolling a dice to see what happens while they travel. "Your navigator falls asleep at the wheel. You are now lost until someone rolls... some significant number.”

Nodding when Rowan said he would ask people when he got to work about their pirate names. He doubted that the pirate questions would keep Rowan's coworkers from asking all kinds of questions about what happened but he kept silent. Fixing a dagger into the hand of one of the little people, he handed it to Rowan. "You can probably paint these better than I can.” He was a decent painter but he had to be slow and careful. His partner with his nimble fingers could probably do a much better job and faster as well. "I will make them up and put clothes on them and you can decide who they will be."

Rowan leaned into Cris's embrace, let himself be comforted by his partner, who hadn't meant to evoke such sadness with his words. Cris was a lifesaver, literally. He hugged him back fiercely and then smiled at Cris's suggestion. "I'd like that," he said. "It would be nice to give something back."

Being around children gave him so much insight to the childhood he couldn't remember, and so much pleasure. They might not realize it, but his patients helped him stay in touch with his human side, which he didn't remember a moment of. Without that contact he might have remained the shallow, arrogant, brash vampire he'd started out as.

Cris approved his suggestion, building on it, and Rowan smiled and nodded against Cris's shoulder, not letting go just yet. It was comforting to just be here, together, talking about something - anything, really - they both enjoyed. Rowan felt himself relax enough to actually close his eyes for a moment, unconsciously letting out a long sigh of contentment. Cris's voice was particularly soothing.

The giant sea monster had him chuckling and he did sit up at that point, flashing his own mischievous grin at Cris in return.

"We need to have Eiryk navigate," he said thoughtfully, "though knowing him, he can and probably has steered a ship while asleep."

When Cris handed a figure to him Rowan took it carefully with a little smile. He turned it this way and that before pulling the tray with the small glass jars of paint close to him. This was a job he would enjoy.

"I'll do my best," he said. "It's been a while since I painted."

Like Eiryk, though, Rowan had created illuminations. It was not an unpopular job for anyone who could write calligraphy back in 'the day.' Rowan didn't know how to paint a landscape or a portrait, but he'd put color to paper enough times in a stained glass sort of manner that he thought he might be able to do an adequate job with the little figurines.

There was no better time than the present to start, so he picked up the TV remote and turned the movie on, lowering the volume so it wouldn't intrude over their conversation. Then he began to paint carefully with a very small brush, putting down a base of color before deciding what details to add.

"I think we should do Jamie first," Rowan said. Cris already had little Rowan and Cris figures. It was only fair that Jamie went next. He assumed by the time they finished it wouldn't matter who had been painted first, but it would still be nice to tell Jaime he'd been on the top of the list.

Cris was glad that Rowan agreed to join him in the making of Christmas presents. He would enjoy working on them with his company and wouldn't have to choose between spending time on his hobby or spending time with his partner.

"

I think you give plenty, Love, but if you think you will enjoy it then I would be happy for the company and the help.”

For a moment Rowan was resting against him with his eyes closed. He looked calm enough to get a little bit of sleep. Cris sighed and kicked himself for being too excited about the game. He should have kept talking in a nice even tone of voice. Perhaps later they could pause their working and settle down together and talk about game pieces until his partner fell asleep again.

Rowan commented on Eiryk being the navigator and how he could probably do it in his sleep. "Well for the purpose of the game I would guess that would be a random career move you can get. Maybe three successful jobs and then you can take over as captain? I think we should work out a system for that part where they have actions they have to do in their job but can't always do it for some reason. Maybe another set of cards as part of their hand. Some actions could be done by multiple people so they would be good ones to hold on to...like cleaning could be done by your poop deck swabber and the chef. Staying vigilant through the night could be the navigator and the look out.” Cris took a sip of his coffee and gazed at the ship. "Maybe three rounds of not being able to do an action for their job gets them considered lazy and they get demoted, losing one job credit.”

His partner said it had been a while since he had painted but Cris still thought Rowan would be good at it. He smiled encouragingly and went back to perusing his metal pieces for the next blank.

When it was suggested that the next one be Jamie, he nodded. "Here, let me change the hat then.” Cris carefully took the figure back long enough to pry the little metal scarf piece up. "Jamie needs a nice pirate styled tri-corn.” His and Rowan's pieces both had the hats which was why he chose a head scarf for the next blank but Jamie's piece should look like what Hollywood suggested all good pirates looked like.

Placing a little glue in the tri-corn, he set it back down onto the head blank, lining up the little peg into the small hole in the top of the head to further secure it. Cris then handed it back to Rowan.

He took the scarf that he now had free and stuck it on the next blank. "Maybe this pirate should have a parrot.” Looking over at Rowan, he smiled. "Anyone always on their cellphone?” It was common to see people with a cell phone tucked between their ear and their shoulder and they definitely talked, sometimes even squawked.

Rowan nodded at Cris. "Of course I would," he said. When did he not enjoy doing anything at all with Cris? He adored the fact that, while Cris wasn't exactly prone to telling tall tales like Rowan was, his partner's imagination was still every bit as vivid and active as his own. They expressed it differently but Rowan thought that only made working together more fun.

He chuckled at the idea of demotions. Cris had a sense of order, probably from being a mercenary and a soldier, that lent itself well to designing a game like this. Rowan refrained from suggesting any of the many and varied tasks that were far less savory than swabbing decks. They certainly had no place in a children's game. Some of them didn't really even belong in the friendly adult version. Some. It did get pretty lonely between ports, after all.

"What's the perk for making it to Captain? Is that how you win?"

You definitely got more booty, literally and figuratively, when you Captained your own ship.
"Oh, we need a way to mutiny, too."

Mutiny was definitely something folks associated with piracy, especially since the Pirates of the Caribbean movies had hit the scene. Rowan had seen many of them in his day, some successful, some not. Some he'd taken part of and some he'd been taken by as part of the unwary. It happened.

Rowan watched as Cris replaced the scarf on the figure's head with a perfect little tricorn. He nodded and took the figure back.
"You're right. It should be as pirate-y as possible. And he needs a big gold hoop earring. It was a big argument between Jamie and Becky a few months ago. She wouldn't let him get his ear pierced."

He grinned at Cris.
"For some reason it was my fault." He tilted his head, making the hoops in his ears dangle. "I'm not sure why though. I was actually innocent for once. Jamie's piercing wasn't my idea. He decided he needed one all on his own."

Rowan worked while they talked, applying color very carefully to the Dread Pirate Jamie. In this, too, he found a form of stress relief. Between his conversation with Cris and the busy work for his hands, he had soon settled into a much more relaxed state of mind. Yet another thing he had to thank Cris for. Cris, who had been sleepy before and must still be tired, but somehow managed to keep himself going for his partner's sake. Rowan really didn't deserve him.
"Yes, I am thinking that is how you win, getting to Captain.” Cris smiled and Rowan and shrugged. He drank some more of his coffee, desperately trying to stay awake on very little sleep. Neither of them were getting very much. Rowan less than him but when his partner couldn't sleep then he wasn't going to get very much of it either. Rowan needed him right now and he would be a terrible person to sleep, indifferent to his lover's suffering.

The nightmares had begun soon after the confrontation with Brand. That first night home and been blissful and he thought they had both slept rather soundly. He had enjoyed some much needed truly restful sleep, safe in the knowledge that Rowan was no longer being stalked by a mad man. But then his partner began dreaming of fire and the children and him. He could hear Rowan calling out his name often, sometimes the names of others, terror in his voice. Cris hated to be the source of pain for Rowan, even in his sleep. He would hold Rowan close and call to him, out loud and in his mind until he eventually woke up.

Now his partner was avoiding sleep almost entirely. Something was going to have to be done soon because neither of them could continue this way.

"Maybe later we can make an expansion. If this turns out to be a success.” Cris looked over the little ship and the people. "Something where you can play the first game until someone wins and then go on a second adventure as the captain. There would have to be a new goal, of course. Maybe getting the most wealth. A very pirate thing to do. We could add a way to play it solo, which should be easy. You would just need to roll a dice in the beginning and randomly pick a captain.”

Considering the mutiny idea, Cris thought of the wars and rebellions he had been a part of in his life time. Very little rebellion, his mercenaries were very loyal, to him anyway. They had been paid to help a rebellion a time or two. His vampire life and been spent in war and politics as well and he had watched the change of power occasionally from the inside.

Grisha found the dynamics of conflict and rulership to be infinitely fascinating. His Creator rarely involved himself, preferring to watch from the outside but he did not stop his progeny from doing as he pleased. "It should be one of the cards that people can play and it should be a gamble so the person would need to choose wisely when they play it. If they win they are promoted automatically one position, which could potentially win them the game. If they lose they are...made to walk the plank?” He raised his eyebrows to Rowan in question. "That should be in there somewhere. We would need to decide what happens when you have to walk the plank if that's used... and if it is always the same thing.”

Rowan explained that Jamie wanted to get his ears pierced and that Becky wouldn't let him. That wasn't surprising; neither was it terribly shocking that she decided such a decision was Rowan's fault. His partner pleaded his innocence and Cris couldn't help but chuckle. Setting down his coffee, he came up to his knees and leaned over Rowan, giving his partner enough time to move the soon-to-be-jamie out of the way. "Well, they are incredibly sexy.” He tilted his head and gently took Rowan's earlobe between his lips; his tongue flickered back and forth, brushing against the hoops that his lover wore. Cris let go and then brushed his lips against the shell of Rowan's ear. He murmured softly. "I can see where there might be cause for concern.”

Settling back down, he collected his coffee mug and smiled innocently at his partner. "Shame she decided that you were somehow to blame but then you do look some terribly compelling in them that it is obvious who Jamie would be trying to emulate." Taking another healthy swallow, he stopped teasing long enough to ask a serious question. "Becky is going to be okay with us encouraging the pirate obsession right? I do not wish to get you into trouble with your co-worker.” Joking around was one thing but he didn't want this to be something that Becky would have rather them not do. They could always make something else a little criminal if it was a problem.
They continued to discuss the pirate issue, and Rowan kept on painting carefully while Cris spoke. It was a soothing task, and it gave him the idea to possibly do a stream of consciousness into one of his journals the next time he awoke from a nightmare. Maybe that would help, getting everything out on paper. Rowan had been writing his journal entries as religiously as always, but they were carefully written and well thought-out entries, almost story-like. He'd bring his journal to bed with him next time.

He nodded at Cris, smiling at the idea of walking the plank. It was a good phrase to use in lieu of 'murdered by your crewmates,' which was hardly child-friendly. Although, in this day and age, kids were getting a little bit more of a dose of real-life at an earlier age.

"Walking the plank would be an appropriate punishment," Rowan agreed. "Maybe our more creative players will be able to make up some story about how they survived. Sans back hair and sea turtles."

When Cris came to kneel beside him, Rowan put aside the piece he had been painting. It needed to dry off anyway. He slid his arm around Cris's slim waist and closed his eyes, giving a little moan of pleasure as Cris's tongue played with his jewelry. God, he loved that. He squeezed Cris close before releasing him to let him retrieve his coffee, although he kept his arm around his partner.

Abandoning the game for the moment Rowan once more closed his eyes and leaned close, snuggling up a little and tugging the blanket around his shoulders, tucking it around Cris's too. He was exhausted in spite of the coffee, and imagined Cris probably was too. Even Rowan could only go so long before sleep became a must, nightmares or no. He was quickly approaching that point.

He opened one gray-green eye to look up at Cris's next question, but closed it again with a smile. he rocked his head back and forth on Cris's shoulder, shaking it 'yes' in response.

"Believe it or not Becky actually has a pretty good sense of humor," he murmured. "She lets Jamie be a kid, she just draws the line at actual piercings. She also declined to buy him a set of pistols. I can't imagine why. She helped him decorate his room in a pirate theme though, and I think she'll love the game."

He knew Becky could come off somewhat harsh or humorless sometimes, but she was a single mom who'd had a tough life and was doing her best to work a difficult job while taking care of her child. Jamie was ten and Becky was only twenty six. From what Rowan knew, gleaned from snatches of information and empathy here and there, Jamie's father was an abusive lowlife currently serving time for theft. He had certainly left a mark on Becky, who had mentioned once or twice living at a shelter for battered woman. She had support from her family but they were not well-off and could only help so much.

"At any rate, she agrees that pirates are better than ninjas," Rowan added, stifling a yawn. Yes, sleep was about to hit him like a hammer, finally. His heart pounded hard once or twice, knowing nightmares would follow, fearing them.

His hand began to slide and he made an attempt to lift his coffee mug onto the table, managing that feat successfully on the second try. He burrowed closer to Cris.

"Wanna move onto the couch? Or you could go upstairs. I could stay here. Let you get some real sleep."

He didn't want to dream about fire again. He'd had enough of it, really. But he did have to sleep at some point. And his body was telling him it was going to happen very soon, like it or not. When he went back to work, at least he could rely on the routine there, picking up double and triple shifts, getting a couple hours of sleep, and then working again. Cris would be able to stay home an rest between his own work days. Rowan would make sure Cris had the chance to sleep, even if it meant staying away. But for now he breathed deeply of his lover's comforting scent and gave a soft sigh against Cris's neck, just about ready to at least try sleeping again.
"So should we make it so that they have to come up with a good story for how they survived? Or should we give them choices? What happens if they can't come up with a good story? Do they start over?” It seemed reasonable, if they walked the plank and didn't survive then they needed to start over with a new character.

Rowan came back and curled up with him again. Cris smiled and set down his coffee and pushed the tray of metal bits and pieces back on the coffee table. Wrapping his arms around his partner, he kissed Rowan gently on the head. "Good. Children should be allowed to be children. Though not getting him a set of pistols does make a certain practical sense.”

Apparently there was a little less love for Jamie's new obsession. Cris smiled. "Pirates are better than ninjas. One pirate in particular.”

He watched Rowan struggle to get his coffee mug up onto the table; his lover's eyelids were opening far more slowly and his limbs were obviously heavy. Cris hoped that Rowan would sleep well this time, exhausted to the point beyond nightmares.

"Couch.” He answered Rowan's question with his vote for sleeping arrangement.

Gently pushing Rowan upright enough for him to climb out of the blanket and stand up, Cris then held a hand down for his partner. "I am not leaving you alone.” He favored Rowan with one of his most stubborn looks before climbing onto the couch. Settling down onto the pillows, he held his arms open wide for Rowan. Maybe sleeping so close together would help. Cris hoped that the steady soothing rhythm of his slow heart beat would seep into Rowan's subconscious and remind him that everything was okay.
Rowan smiled. "Make 'em invent a story," he said, knowing his accent was growing heavier as he got lazy and tired. Cris would understand him. He always seemed to.

He felt Cris's arms around him and relaxed.
"So nice," he murmured, completely disregarding whatever it was Cris had just said. He felt floaty and wonderful; in this haze of sleepiness he didn't see fire, he didn't hear screams. Right before drifting off he was always in a pleasant peaceful place.

It went away momentarily as Cris shifted, moving onto the couch. His heart gave a squeeze as his lover protested and said he wouldn't be leaving. Rowan smiled at Cris.
"Love you."

He did manage to slide himself up onto the couch, where he curled himself up, one long leg around Cris, one arm clinging tightly. The couch was small for the two of them but sleeping so close to Cris was wonderfully comfortable. Dragging his eyelids open he kissed Cris gently.

"So much," he mumbled, not sure he was speaking English anymore. Then he nestled down and rested his face against Cris's chest, content to be held. Maybe Cris could keep the fires at bay for a little while. Even sleep, his partner's presence was soothing. Rowan would take anything he could get at this point.

Rowan did his best to put himself in a positive frame of mind as he closed his eyes. He thought of happy times, of things he enjoyed, of Cris. Cris's voice, his arms, his scent, all made much easier by the fact that those particular things were right there.

He had not been plagued by nightmares all night every night this week... there had been several instances in which he'd slept for a decent block of time. Tonight proved to be one of those nights, much to his relief. He could swear he heard Cris's voice long after he was asleep; soothing hands gently stroked his back. Whether it was real or imagined, it kept Rowan sleeping more or less soundly for longer than he had the whole week. It gave him hope that things would be getting better now.

Surely, they would get better.

((ooc: Rowan and Cris out))