Not dead

Charlie walked Caitlinn back to the hidden brownstone downtown. It had been a couple days since inadvertently meeting her 'handler' and now she was going to speak to him. Charlie bristled as they took the steps up the front stoop, detecting a variety of scents, specifically the man in question.

"Do you mind waiting out here?"

Charlie held in his automatic snap of disapproval and instead sighed.
"I said I would, babe." He didn't say he'd like it, though. "Although I'm not comfortable with this."

"You've done your super Piper check-em-out thing. It's clear, right?"

He smiled at her inaccurate but colorful description. Dom and Marko had already reported back 'all clear' and Tyler was in the apartment. With a reluctant shrug, he leaned back against the stoop rails and glared up at the second floor. Cait slowly came into his arms, making him look down.

"I know you're not going to stay down here, so if you hear me scream from the hallway a whopping 20 feet from the door, I know you'll be right there."

Raising his eyebrows, he blushed at her accurate assessment of the situation.
"I told you his reaction when he saw you, Cait."

"I know, but I don't think it meant what you think it did."

"He was so happy to see you. Not like 'Lewis happy', but genuinely relieved and elated to see you."

"And how did I react?" she asked with a knowing grin.

Cait had been thrilled to see Tyler, yes, but it was a relief that wasn't even close to the level of affection that Cait showed Charlie on an almost daily basis. Tyler did not mean as much to Cait that she might mean to him, but that still did not ease Charlie's jealousy.

"Alright, alright. Just be safe."

"I will. Gonna kiss me?" she asked, smiling up at him.

"No, I'm not gonna," he replied snottily, but brushed his nose against hers affectionately.

Holding his hand till the very last moment, Cait walked up the stoop and entered the brownstone. He listened to her footfalls up the steps till they faded almost completely away. Waiting another minute, he pulled opened the door and silently stalked up to the second floor to play the jealous boyfriend.

Jake Tyler 11 years ago
"Jake?"

Her voice wafted into his dream like a soft melody and caused an unrealistic amount of warm and fuzzy feelings of affection that he did not at all expect. Immediately he stirred and looked toward the door of the bedroom, peering through squinted eyes as the door opened and Cait came in, leaning on the door with a smile.

"It's ten o'clock in the morning. Get up."

Rubbing his eyes, he rolled over and grabbed his watch off his nightstand, checking the time.
"Oh," he mumbled and pulled the sheets back, revealing his boxer shorts and that's it. Her presence didn't make him self conscious, it never had, and she had walked in on him in a variety of dress over the years enough for their present situation to be nothing out of the norm. Rubbing his eyes, he hunched over and yawned.

"Are you actually sleeping?" she asked, coming into the bedroom and sitting on the edge of the bed next to him.

"Yeah, actually." That had changed since Randolph's demise. He had learned to function on very little sleep, but with nothing to hide from or report to, sleep found him easily again. Before he would have heard her come in, but now it was the sleep of the dead. "It's exhausting, to be honest."

"Yeah," she said softly.

Reaching out, he touched her hand on the bed, but quickly pulled away, forgetting touching wasn't her thing, but she didn't pull away or react for that matter. It made him look at her with a confused expression.

"You're so different now," he said slowly.

"You've seen me a total 3 minutes and you can tell I'm different?" Then she reached up and cupped his face, giving him an uncharacteristically sweet smile.

Snorting, he pointed to her hand and then her proximity.
"This is the most you've ever touched me in the years I've known you, Cait. What's going on?"

Embarrassment colored her expression and she pulled away, getting up off the bed. Turning her back to him, she stepped out the bedroom door and called back, "Get dressed and I'll tell you."

Jake watched her leave with suspicious blue green eyes and sat for a few more minutes on the bed. Running his hands through his hair, he stood up off the bed and entered the bathroom. Whatever she was going to tell him, he at least wanted to brush his teeth before hearing it.
Caitlinn Conrad 11 years ago
Jake came out pulling a gray tshirt over his bare chest. She was confident in the knowledge that seeing Jake did not stir up any feelings and wasn't the least bit curious as to what their relationship might evolve into, now that they were no longer coworkers. They had never been anything beyond that - not even a hint of attraction. That just wasn't their way. They both kept everyone at more than arms-length and was all business. Randolph had that way in scaring the shit out of you to the point to where letting distractions interfere with your job was not an option.

But they had that option now. In a way.

Cait sat at the small four person dining room table that sat in the open kitchen area between the bedroom door and living area. Jake walked the short distance to the table and sat, pulling his chair out and facing it toward her. He looked exactly the way she had seen him over a year ago. Taller than her, but not near as tall as Charlie or the other Pipers. Small, but lean physique, with muscular arms and freckled skin. Blue green eyes gave her a cursory glance but he looked down at his hand on the table and tapped his fingers. He lifted his fingers in a curious gesture and she looked back up into his eyes.

"I died," she said simply.

"Is that all," he replied in a monotone voice.

"That's the short version, yes. And kind of the end."

"What happened before dying, then?"

Cait took a deep breath and explained what happened over the next hour. She told him everything except for what made Charlie special. She left out that the Eternity used to resurrect her was made from him, not another nameless vampire, and did not plan on ever telling him.

Jake was quiet for the most part, not interrupting, except for an occasional question here and there, but ultimately he waited till she finished her story.

Nodding, he hooked a thumb over his shoulder. "So they know about Kyle Evans?"

Cait nodded.

"Does anyone else?"

"Just you," she said. "That I know of, at least."

"And now Huntington has all your research on him?"

"Ayup."

She waited for him to process the information. He was silent for a minute before saying, "I came back because you resurfaced in DI. I wanted to see you. Make sure you were alright." Cait nodded again. "And you're with Hammond."

Cait blinked, not at the question, but the way Jake said it. The barest hint of bitterness laced his words and it made her pause.
"I love him."

Jake looked her in the eye and then shrugged. "Didn't think love was your thing, Cait."

"It wasn't."

"Until Hammond? He that special?"

Cait pointed her finger at him and let the full force of her brown anger rip him to shreds.
"Are you kidding me? This? From you?"

"You're not you."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

Jake leaned forward in his chair, pressing his legs up against hers. Reaching out, he took her hand and held it, pulling her close to him. He looked at her, waiting, and confusing Cait even further.

"What are you doing?"

He kept glaring at her, his expression confused and almost angry. He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her out of her chair. Jake pushed her back toward the kitchen and pressed her up against the fridge and the more he touched her, the angrier he seemed to get.

"I don't understand," he said as he held her against the fridge.

"You don't?" she snorted. "Jake...what are you doing? What, are you going to kiss me or something?"

He blinked and she felt his fingers move their grip on her arms.
"No...."

"Then what...what are you...it's me, Jake. What the hell happened to you?"
Jake Tyler 11 years ago
Was he going to kiss her?

"Cait. I..."

She was staring at him with the strangest expression, one he couldn't quite comprehend. Caitlinn a year ago would have been reacting completely different to having his hands on her. Never in the five or so years he's known her had he put his hands on her, other than to train. She never stood within six feet of him otherwise. Her paranoia and need for personal space was so overwhelming that he started to treat everyone the same way, so he wouldn't forget when he was with Cait. Her reaction was concern and confusion, not the usual repulsed and immediate removal of him from her space. He was touching her, grabbing her arms for Christ sakes, and she was asking what was wrong with him?

"Why aren't you...Cait, I'm touching you."

Her expression changed from concerned to almost humored. "Jake are you kidding me? You're tripping out because I let you touch me?"

He was floored. Something happened to her, it was plain as the nose on her face, but whatever it was, it changed her completely.
"You've never let me touch you, Cait. But now you're with...you're in love with...I don't understand."

"Please tell me you're not jealous, Jake." She relaxed and reached up, touching his chest softly. "Seriously?"

Jake looked at his hands and lifted his fingers off her arms but kept them hovering. Looking up at her face, he shrugged.
"No, that's not-"

Just then the door slammed opened and speaking of the devil, Hammond came barging in, making a bee line for them.

"Charlie, wait!"

Jake dropped his hands and braced himself as Hammond grabbed him by the back of his shirt and threw him clear across the living room, directly into the entertainment center on the far wall.
Charlie Hammond 11 years ago
"Jesus Charlie!" Cait yelled, pushing by him and running into the living room.

Tyler was crumbled against the far wall, laying in the splintered ruins of the oak entertainment center. If there had been a television instead of just books, there probably would have been a lot more blood. Charlie winced, realizing he over reacted, both in strength and actions. Marko came running in with Dom and both stood in the living room, staring at Tyler, then back at Charlie. Charlie rolled his eyes and shrugged.

"CHARLIE!" Cait yelled at him as she tried to straighten Tyler out, laying him back on the floor. The human was moaning, completely stunned by the impact and probably hurting from some broken bones. With a nod to Dom, his Piper reached into his compression pack and took out a cylinder.

Cait sat back as Charlie made his way over to check out the damage. "Really, Charlie? You had to throw him across the fucking room?"

He glared at her and didn't bother to reply. Instead he took the cylinder from Dom and popped the cap.
"This is going to hurt," he said to Tyler who opened an eye and glared at him. Ejecting the lethal looking needle, Charlie jabbed Tyler in the thigh and injected him with half a does of Eternity. Immediately the human began to tense up, the pain stunning him. "What was he doing?" Charlie asked without looking at Cait. She didn't answer him for a long enough moment that made the situation extremely tense with Dom and Marko in the room.

Dom checked Tyler along his back and limbs. "You broke...a lot, Charlie. Ribs, shoulder - his left one, and some cuts."

Tyler began to grunt painfully and Charlie watched as bones moved back into place, undoubtedly causing excruciating pain for him. Charlie risked a look at Cait and caught her hate filled glare.

Marko was the first to say the obvious. "Get a little jealous, Charlie?"

"Really? Not helping," Charlie said.

"You could have killed him, Charlie." Finally he looked over at Cait and gave her a sheepish shrug. "I can't even look at you right now."

Standing, Charlie turned away and walked to the door.
"He'll be fine, unless you want us to take him-"

"No, I do not want you to take him anywhere," she snapped at him.

"We should put him to bed. He'll be fine in a couple hours," Dom offered and then he and Marko lifted the grunting human and took him to the bedroom, leaving him and Cait alone.

"What was he doing?" Charlie demanded again, turning back to look at her from his place at the door.

"Nothing. He was just confused."

"That wasn't confused, Caitlinn."

"No, that was you throwing him across the fucking room, Chester."

Charlie walked back up to her, pointing his finger.
"Don't. That's not fair. What did you expect me-"

"I expected you to, I don't know, trust me?"

"I do trust you. It's him I don't trust. He's got a thing for you. A serious thing. He's confused by it, but it's there."

"I am not digging this jealous boyfriend routine, Charlie. I can't even begin to understand why you'd do something like this."

Outside in the hallway he tried not to listen to their conversation, so he moved down toward the stairs again and sat on the steps, waiting for them to finish talking. There was nothing out of the ordinary until he heard the rattle of the fridge and Cait's high strung and confused voice float down the hallway. Getting up, he moved slowly toward the door and he heard Tyler's voice - the strain and confusion in it, but he could feel the man's emotions through the door. They were primal, upset, and intense - so much so that Charlie just reacted.

Even though he didn't think he needed to, Charlie tried to fix the situation.
"I'm sorry. I don't trust him."

"You about killed him, baby."

Charlie felt even guiltier now that she was resorting to calling him affectionate nicknames. He shrugged.
"I don't trust him."

"Why? Because you think I'd choose my past with him over what I have now with you?"

Swallowing a gulp, Charlie looked down at the floor and shrugged again.
"Kind of. Yes," he mumbled.
Caitlinn Conrad 11 years ago
How could he go from crazy, jealous jerk to adorable, insecure love of her life in two seconds flat? The anger drained out of her as she realized how much Charlie worried about Jake Tyler appearing back in her life.

"There was nothing between us, Charlie. Never. Not for me."

"You confuse him."

"It's the touching thing."

"Do I really want to hear this?" Charlie asked with an annoyed look.

"You know what I mean. Before you, I never let anyone touch me. That paranoia was intense and it wasn't just about food. Jake's never touched me, I never let anyone touch me. Just you. And, well, Lewis."

Charlie huffed unhappily.

"You don't do jealous very well."

"There's never been anyone like you before."

Cait sighed and reached up, touching Charlie's face.
"K that's not fair. That doesn't mean you can kill every guy that might come along and be attracted to me. It's creepy."

Charlie pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her waist. "I am sorry," he said before kissing her softly.

"I'm not the one you threw across the room."

Charlie rolled his eyes. "You want me to apologize to him?"

Cait shrugged her shoulders as Dom and Marko made their way out of the bedroom and back out. "He'll be out for a couple hours, probably sore when he wakes up." Dom raised his eyebrows and stifled a snort as they left the apartment.
Jake Tyler 11 years ago
Before he even tried to open his eyes, Jake painfully reached for the gun under his pillow and upon finding the .38, tried to shoot Charlie Hammond sitting at the foot of his bed. Two very strong hands twisted his wrists, forcing his aim up toward the corner of the room, and then immediately disarmed him. Losing his balance, Jake fell out of the bed and onto the hardwood floor in a heap.

"And Cait wonders why I don't trust you."

Jake pushed himself quickly up off the ground, but backed up against his night stand, knocking over the lamp and sending it crashing to the ground. Opening bleary eyes, Jake looked at Hammond, still sitting on the edge of his bed.

"I'm still trying to figure out what she'd see in a werewolf," he mumbled from his perch on the ground.

"Listen, I'm supposed to apologize for throwing you across the room."

Jake slowly stood and tried to ignore the soreness of his body. He expected the pain to be a thousand times worse, and he looked at his limbs, trying to figure out what happened when Hammond explained what happened.

"You're fine. Nothing some Tylenol and keeping your distance from Caitlinn won't fix. Have you taken Eternity before?"

"What? You used that crap on me?" Jake suddenly became frantic knowing full well the effects of the drug would do to a human.

"Just half a dose, hence the pain. This is medicinal, not recreational," Hammond said, holding up a silver cylinder. "I still don't recommend overusing this." Then the werewolf tossed it toward Jake.

Jake caught the Eternity and set it on the nightstand.
"Where is she?"

"What do you want with her, Tyler?"

"I don't want anything. She's just a friend."

"Just a friend? You tried to shoot your friend's fiance."

"You fucking threw me into an entertainment center," Jake replied in a monotone voice. "I'm supposed to let that go?"

"Don't put your hands on her and I won't kill you," Hammond said with a straight face.

"I'm still trying to figure out what you did to her to even let me put my hands on her, you asshole."
Tyler's angry emotions were bleeding out of him so strongly that it made Charlie wince. Usually he caught flashes, maybe a strong pulse of an emotion from someone, but Tyler's emotions were overwhelming and constant. Charlie had no idea why and it made him want to get as far away from this human as possible. But he promised Cait he'd talk to Tyler and settle things.

Unfortunately that didn't look like it would be happening any time soon.

"You got me. I used my magical werewolf powers on her," Charlie said in a monotone voice.

"Don't be a fucking prick," Tyler snapped.

Standing quickly, Charlie grabbed Tyler by his shirt and pushed him up against the wall.
"I don't trust you around Cait. I don't trust you, period."

Tyler surprisingly reacted not with terse words, but by breaking Charlie's grip on him and placing a well placed kick on the inside of his calf. Twisting Charlie's left arm, Tyler put him on the nightstand, crushing it with his 250lbs weight. Tyler came around and managed one more kick before Charlie grabbed his leg and threw the human back against the head board.

Dom came rushing into the room, breaking up the fight by pushing the human back while Marko pulled Charlie back into the living room.

"Charlie...Char-," Marko said, struggling to get Charlie back away from Tyler. "LIEUTENANT!" he finally yelled, making Charlie stop in surprise more than anything. "I don't think Miss Caitlinn would appreciate you trying to kill him. Again."

Charlie lifted his hands and took a deep breath. Slowly Marko took his hands off him and gave him a solemn look.

"This is unusual for you, Charlie."

"What?"

Marko looked at him with surprisingly soft eyes - an odd thing considering Marko's 6'6 height and massive girth. The large Piper put himself between Charlie and the bedroom door. "I've never seen you act so territorial. Toward anything, sir."

Charlie tried to explain his reaction to Tyler, but he couldn't without explaining that it was the human's emotions he was reacting to so angrily. He could only imagine what Dom and Marko thought - Charlie seemingly reacting to some human showing a remote interest in his mate - a friend of his mate's. But Tyler's interest in Cait was much deeper than that, if the human's emotions toward her were any indication. Tyler was confused, but almost obsessed with Cait, which seemed to confuse Tyler even more. The human was concerned for her, cared for her, obviously, but Charlie was the only one that could see that it went beyond professional courtesy.

"I just don't trust him," Charlie finally said.

"But Miss Caitlinn appears to," Marko said softly.

And she did, unequivocally. Her reaction to Tyler was intense friendship and admiration, but it wasn't so much what she felt, but how much she felt toward him that made Charlie pause. Cait and Tyler had history Charlie could not compete with, despite how hard and fast he and Cait fell in love. It surprised Charlie how intensely jealous he was acting toward Tyler, but he waited his entire lifetime for her. Dying twice in the process just to be with her.

"Where is Cait and JT now?" Charlie asked calmly.

"On their way back. Ten minutes."

Dom and Tyler walked out of the bedroom, the human looking no worse after their fight. With a nod toward the door, Dom and Marko slowly left the apartment, leaving Charlie and Tyler alone.
Jake Tyler 11 years ago
The Spanish man, he could only assume this one was a werewolf, as well, helped him settle on the edge of the bed. Jake cracked his neck, trying to loosen the tight muscles and sore spots when the man spoke to him. "Dude, you really need to learn when to just give up."

Jake couldn't help but smile as he cracked his back.
"Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you there," he moaned quietly.

"He's only reacting territorially like this because Caitlinn is his mate."

He shook his head and laughed.
"That's the weirdest thing anyone has said to me."

The man shrugged. "He loves her. More than anything. But I'm guessing you do, too?"

Jake looked up at him and was startled by the question.
"No. No, it's not like that." Shaking his head, he ran his fingers through his hair and sighed. "No, I don't."

"It...kinda looks like you do, dude. Just sayin'."

The man looked like he was maybe in his early twenties, but Jake had to assume he was older. There wasn't a lot about the werewolves that he knew, but Cait had funneled a lot of information through Jake to Randolph about the species. So Jake should know better than to tangle with one, but Hammond was just such a dick.

"Duly noted," Jake mumbled as he stood up with numerous aches and pains.

As he and the spanish fellow left the bedroom, Hammond signaled for his men to leave them alone. With a deep breath, he waited for Hammond say whatever he was going to say and then get the hell out.

"Did she tell you what happened in November?"

Jake shrugged and then took a seat at the dining room table.
"Yes. Leaving out all the mushy parts, thank god."

Hammond rolled his eyes and put his hands on his hips. "Her paranoia. She ever talk about it? The vampire liaison she met?"

"She told you about that?"

Suddenly Jake was hurt. Things between him and Cait were professional 99% of the time, but on very rare occasions, sometimes she'd open up. He could count on one hand how many times she let Jake into her very paranoid world, but it would appear she had no problems sharing with Hammond.

"When you react like that, it kind of gives the impression that your interest in her is more than just professional."

"You don't know her like I do."

"I think I know her pretty well," Hammond said raising his eyebrows.

"Obviously you know you better in different ways," Jake said with an annoyed glare, "but you don't know her before...whatever happened. This isn't Cait. Not my Cait."

"Your Cait?" Hammond said not without a little jealousy.

"She only told me about the liaison once, but personally...I'm pretty sure it did something to her to make her not tell me more."

"You're talking about the vampire's ability to control through command and suggestions. Through dreams?"

"Nightmares, not that she'd remember them."

Hammond had a profoundly guilty look cross his face at the mention of her dreams, enough to make Jake stop and stare. Apparently he knew a lot more of Cait than Jake did.

"She'd wake up from, what I could only describe as horrible nightmares, but not be able to tell me anything about them."

"Yeah."

Jake narrowed his eyes.
"You know about that, too?"

Hammond smiled just then. "I told you, I know a lot about her."

"Obviously," Jake said sarcastically. "I don't know who the liaison was, just that he was a vampire of considerable stature."

"Why did she meet him and not you?"

"I was a handler. I just assumed the rest of the team had dealt with the same process as Cait's. I protected my team, provided intel, swapped their information and passed on data, but I was a glorified body guard."

"That's why you're so obsessed with her?"

"I'm not obsessed with her. She's a friend. My entire team was wiped out and suddenly she pops up again, alive and still at Duibne Industries. Then I find out she's with the werewolves and engaged to one? What would you do?"

Hammond seemed to think over what Jake said. Finally the man nodded slowly, looking away.
Charlie nodded, trying to understand what Tyler was feeling, or rather what he was projecting. The human would never be just someone Cait used to know, but was someone special in her very closed off life, despite never being romantically involved with him. Still, Charlie loved Cait with everything he had and it worried him, whether Tyler meant to be something more to her. With a slow shrug, Charlie answered truthfully.

"What wouldn't I do for her?"

The door opened slowly with a knock and JT poked his head in and raised his eyebrows. The door swung wide and Cait walked in passed his second. Cait looked at Charlie and then at Jake, but after a moment, went to Charlie first.

Charlie watched Tyler's expression and felt Jake's embarrassment, maybe from expecting her to go to Tyler to check on his wounds, which Cait did, after coming up to Charlie and holding hands with him for a moment.

"You alright, Jake?" she asked moving toward him at the table. Jake immediately stood, not without a grimace from the pain, and took a step back.

"I'm good, yeah. Don't worry about it."

Cait immediately stopped and Charlie felt her confusion. Everything was awkward and uncomfortable all of the sudden with everyone's emotions filling up the room. The silence hung in the air until JT turned toward Charlie.

"Need Dom and Marko?"

Charlie shook his head, dismissing his Pipers. JT nodded and then left, closing the door behind him without another word. Charlie walked to the door and began to excuse himself.

"I'll be downstairs."

"No, wait a sec," Tyler said. He walked back into the bedroom and came back out a minute later with a backpack and his jacket. Walking passed the dining room table, he set the silver key on it quietly. "Thanks for the place to stay, Cait. I came to make sure you're ok and you are."

Charlie watched as Tyler refused to look Cait in the face, but said what appeared to be a good bye.

"You can stay here, Jake. It's not like anyone else-"

"No, thanks, though."

"Are you staying in the city?" Cait asked softly, her expression slowly gathering strength to be hurt.

"I don't know. It depends on a few things. Work wise. I'll say goodbye if I leave."

Charlie was now wishing he had left before Tyler decided to hurt her. Cait wasn't showing it, but he could feel the pain she was holding inside her. He wanted to ask Tyler what he was doing, but the man neither looked at Cait or Charlie. The human shouldered his bag and took his jacket, and without another word, left the apartment, pulling the door open wider and passing through the opening between Charlie and the hallway. He didn't look back as he quickly left the brownstone.

Charlie looked back at Cait who was staring at the key on the table. She picked it up and pocketed it without a word. She was feeling a multitude of emotions - grief, pain, confusion, to name a few. Finally, Cait turned to Charlie and shook her head.

"Did you tell him to leave?"

Charlie shook his head.
"No, I didn't."

"And you wouldn't lie to me?"

"No, babe. I swear, I didn't."

"Then I don't understand what just happened there."

Charlie shrugged, feeling a little guilty, but understandably relieved at Tyler's departure. He opened his mouth to say something, but Cait just walked to the door and pulled on Charlie's hand, closing the door behind him.

((OOC - All out))