Back To Work (Invite Only)

Rowan would have been lying if he'd said he wasn't just a little bit nervous about returning to work. This was his first day back and he'd been greeted with a lot more attention as he walked through the lobby than he wanted. For once. That wasn't the sort of spotlight he particularly enjoyed but he handled it with grace, smiles, and laughs.

His hands, though fully healed, were still bandaged and for the sake of his story he'd have to act as if they were still slightly injured. Also, Sullivan would be showing up at some point today as his 'intern.' He was going to have to play relay with Cris.

That was the one bright side here. Cris was present. Not visible, but present. He had been, the whole way out of the Towers. Even in the car, where he was unwilling to be separated from Rowan, he'd had to stay blended so as not to draw any attention. Rowan had left his driver's side door open a bit, ostensibly answering a text while Cris climbed out. He couldn't feel him, touch him, or hear him expect for what he Sent, but Cris was there.

It kept Rowan from being too big a wreck. He wasn't feeling terribly jumpy though. Mostly he was angry. He wanted this killer found before he did too much more damage.

He entered his small office, finally free of well-wishers, admirers, and genuine friends, and set his shoulder bag down on the floor next to his desk. He sank onto the short sofa he'd brought in to put along the longest wall, patting the seat next to him. This was the one place Cris could be visible, one place they could plot and plan. The windows and the door were locked, the glass in all of them frosted for privacy, with blinds to keep out the light. And the two offices on either side of Rowan's were not often occupied.

"This is going to be fun," he said, his voice slightly ironic. He was quiet, not wanting anyone outside to hear although he doubted they could.

"How did Sullivan feel about this assignment?"

Christian Bern 12 years ago
Cris did not much like the idea of Rowan going back to work but there was no other logical choice. The murderer was fixated on Rowan and the man would continue hunting him whether he was at the hospital or not and he would probably kill again simply to draw Rowan out.

The advantage of the hospital was that it was a stationary place from which to observe from. He would have a team watching on the outside and Sullivan and himself inside.

He followed Rowan around the halls watching the auras of everyone his partner came in contact with to see what their true feelings were toward him. So far everyone was genuinely happy to see him, but then the killer would probably be excited to see Rowan back as well. He would just have to catalog everyone's emotions and keep a record. Perhaps they would find a pattern or something out of place. It was at least somewhere to start. Keeping track of his impressions was Ume's current job.

[We are speaking with... Sara. Discussing Rowan being back. She is excited, flustered, happy. I get shades that indicate that she has a crush on our doctor. Sympathy for his healing hands and desire and affection.] His best guess based on how and when her aura changed, while looking at Rowan's bandaged hands, was that Sara wanted to care for his redhead herself. She might even be entertaining some caregiver fantasy. Cris wondered how many others here had the same interest. Rowan could have quite a few helpful little nightingales looking after him; too bad his hands were already healed.

He followed along behind Rowan looking at people, cameras, places to hide, everything he could think of that might be useful to know. Cris had never wanted the extra perception some vampires gained so badly in his life. He felt there was too much to take in and the risk of missing something vital was high.

When Rowan closed the door behind them, Cris began looking around every nook and cranny of the office for signs of hidden cameras or listening devices. He pulled out a small robotic unit with a sensor array and the computing power of a laptop from the backpack that he had been wearing. The device was the size of a roomba and the same shape.

Flipping up a panel on the little robot's top surface, he accessed the small keyboard and eraser sized mouse. There was a screen on the inside of the lid and, when he connected the device to the hospital's wifi, MARI's face appeared in miniature on the screen.

"Double check and make sure there are no electronic bugs in this room.”

"Of course, Mr. Bern. Hello Dr. Murphy.” MARI spun the little robot around and smiled at Rowan. "The room is clean of unauthorized electronics. I am also now patched into the security cameras for the hospital as well as the PA systems and intercom.”

MARI rolled the little remote station up under the sofa that Rowan was seated on. Eventually she came out the side and then went under his desk. "There are several satisfactory hiding places from which to work. Do you have a preference, Mr. Bern?”

"If you can continue accessing the cameras and the internet from beneath the couch then I suggest that location. It provides better cover on all sides.”

The little circular device rolled out from beneath the desk and then scooted back under the sofa.

"Stay hidden as much as possible, MARI. We are dealing with someone who can blend so there is a good chance that this person could come in without your knowledge.”

"It would be difficult to access the locked door without my knowledge, Mr.Bern, but I understand your precaution.”

Cris sighed and sat down on the cushion that Rowan had patted. "True but he might be able to slip in when someone else is going in or out and remain in the room undetected.”

"Understood.”

It was unlikely but possible. If Rowan locked his office when he left and while he was in the room then it would be difficult for someone to sneak in. Plus he could not imagine that the killer would want to be locked in the small room waiting for someone else to come back and open the door. Rowan was far more accessible outside his office.

"Sullivan was probably not thrilled with the assignment. She finds you intimidating.” Cris smirked slightly. Normally he had that destinction. He also knew that Sullivan was honored to be chosen for this assignment and anxious about messing up or disappointing him. "I also think you earned her respect.” She had been embarrassed at the time but she recovered quickly from such things and among security someone willing to stand up for what he believed in was almost universally respected.

"I chose her because she has some medical knowledge. At one time she was studying to be a doctor.” Cris thought that information was of use to Rowan. The fact that Sullivan's fiance was killed by a vampire while she watched and she barely escaped with her life was the woman's story to tell unless it became pertinent to the situation.

Sullivan had taken her lover's last name, and left her studies behind in favor of revenge. She was truly quite fearless, feeling she had little to lose. The trail had gone cold by the time her injuries had been healed. She took to wandering the streets and playing the easy target. It gained her the attention of an Evenhet. Getting her to understand and trust a vampire had been a difficult thing for Peter but he eventually convinced her to meet others of his clan. A year or so ago she became a member of security. "She is a human but bonded to a sending vampire. It is not the best solution but I can send to her directly and she can get a message to me fairly quickly if need be.”

Cris reached out and squeezed Rowan's leg. "I hope this is a good first day back, despite all this.” He leaned over and kissed his partner's cheek. "You will help a lot of kids today and that is always a good thing.”
Rowan Murphy 12 years ago
Rowan watched Cris and MARI do their thing. He said nothing, although he wondered if they were going to be successful at discovering anything. He didn't like the idea that his office might be bugged, and nodded with relief when MARI cleared it.

He had only a few minutes before he had to get out and work; he'd already spoken to Lynn several times over the past week. She knew his status, she'd seen his healing hands, and she was aware that he was ready to take on an intern, even a fake one, although that she didn't know. Rowan had told her he was looking forward to it, and that was mostly true.

Cris told him a little bit about Sullivan and Rowan smiled at the knowledge that she had some medical experience.
"The field changes quickly," he said. "If she has any questions Peter can ask me and I can relay the answer to her. I don't know where she gets 'intimidating' from, though."

He grinned, recalling his rant at the Mall.
"I was the soul of courtesy."

When Cris kissed him Rowan leaned over and rested his head on his partner's shoulder for a minute.
"Have I told you how glad I am that you're here?"

He felt happy to have Cris nearby. Not only did he know he had an ally in this fight, but he sort of enjoyed the fact that Cris would be here to see what he did for a living.
"We'll help out some kids for the first six hours," he said. "After that it's on to the ER for another four."

Lynn was being kind to him; in spite of their desperate need for doctors she had kept him at ten hours for his first shift back. She knew Rowan was a workhorse, and he often drew doubles, triples, working thirty-six hours before going home for a brief break, returning, and working twenty-four more. Considering the hours he'd been pulling before his incident, this week's was positively part-time at fifty hours. He appreciated it.

((ooc: Rowan is not reading Cris's mind; I figured they'd discussed Sullivan's bond with Peter prior to this thread. Feel free to correct me and I'll edit.))
"I am sure you were.” Cris smiled at Rowan and patted his leg gently. If anyone could make his point while being 'the soul of courtesy' it was his smooth talking companion. "I will let her know about running questions through Peter to you and back again.” Cris said, in reference to Sullivan needing some medical reference assistance. He agreed that his team member might have trouble with specific terms and new innovations but he suspected that her familiarity still made her a better choice than a vampire without such knowledge. Many of his kind would not have made that choice, even among Evenhet, some vampires believed that humans were incapable of being useful in situations were supernatural beings were involved. Cris thought otherwise; he would take a level headed clever human with a pistol and the knowledge to use it over many of his own more resilient species.

"I think you might have mentioned it.” Rowan leaned against his shoulder and Cris slid his arm around his partner's waist, tilting his head to lean it against Rowan's. "Until you are safe then 'here' is where I will remain.” He would be Rowan's constant silent shadow until this sick bastard was caught and destroyed.

Cris smiled as Rowan listed out his 'light' work schedule for the day. His partner normally did so much more but, personally, he was glad that Lynn had not given him more than she had. He did not know if that was her insistence or Rowan's but he was thankful that his companion would have a chance to ease back into work and still be alert at the end of it. Sometimes Rowan came home so tired that he was in a barely functioning daze. His partner would work until he crashed, knowing that he would crash hard when that time came. Cris worked his long hours with rests in between them but he was a light sleeper and among his own kind. If Rowan worked at The Towers then he could at least fall asleep with the knowledge that no one would open a window out into the daylight on him or be worried about his nearly non-moving heart and extremely low blood pressure. However, here he could not sleep as soundly and generally worked straight through. Perhaps while Cris was following Rowan around his partner could get some actual sleep on his breaks between his shifts. He would feel much better knowing Rowan was as alert as he could be while working long hours.

"Okay, how about you help some kids and I will watch.” Cris wondered if he could actually be of some use to Rowan. He was not a doctor but he was an empath and his ability came easily and naturally to him. At least his lover would not have to use his own empathy while his personal bodyguard was around.

"I will resist the urge to rearrange the rooms while you are talking to patients.” The hospital probably already had a reputation for being haunted without him helping. He had plenty to keep him busy.
Rowan chuckled and nodded; he hoped Sullivan wasn't going to be embarrassed, or remain intimidated. Rowan was used to being friendly and approachable. He supposed he should refer to Sullivan by her first name, though, if she was to pose as his intern. Did he even know her first name? Ah well, they would be 'introduced' when she arrived soon. Rowan had many connections; a friend of his had agreed to be Sullivan's sponsor here, recommending her to the program above all other applicants and helping to handle the paperwork on the college side of things to give Sullivan her cover story. In this, he and Cris had discovered a mutual acquaintance as he happened to be a vampire and a member of Evenhet Security in New York.

Rowan expected to continue to find little acquaintances like these popping up all over the place; after all neither he nor Cris was young and newly-turned, and because of Henri's job Rowan knew many Security members. The idea made him happy, that even though he and Cris hadn't met until last year they were probably bound to at some point given the number of people they both knew in common. It didn't mean anything... but he liked it.

Rowan tightened his arms around Cris, sighing against his partner's shoulder and wishing he didn't have to actually go back to work. He wanted to point out that he felt completely safe with Cris there but his partner had enough pressure already without the possibility of Rowan's words adding to it. It was enough that Cris was here at all and Rowan felt that together they could work this out. It was entirely possible they were afraid for nothing, that they would find this mysterious killer in one day, but that was Rowan's optimism speaking. He tried to listen to it.

Laughing at the idea of Poltergeist Cris moving furniture around, Rowan sat up and then leaned back in to kiss his lover softly upon his lips. He did linger for a long moment, knowing this was going to be his last chance to do so all day in spite of them being with each other for the whole thing. So he savored the brief caress, lifting his hands up to gently frame Cris's face, brushing his thumbs over Cris's cheeks.

After that he stood and smiled.
"Are you ready?"

They left the office, Cris blended once more, and Rowan tried to go about his day as normally as possible. Lynn was truly being kind; his nurses were Becky and Nora, two of his favorites and the two he worked with who were least likely to spend any shift making sad faces at him. Learning that he had a boyfriend had not deterred some of his co-workers from daydreaming, apparently, a fact that Rowan did not mind but was oddly relieved to not have to worry about tonight.

Becky gave him a big hug when she saw him. "Dr. Murphy! How are you? We all heard what you did... your hands!"

She gently lifted up his wrist and looked at his bandaged hand. "Are you sure you should be here?"

Rowan smiled; Becky was a mother and tended to try to mother the entire world along with her son Jamie. So he just nodded and put on his most cheerful expression. He flexed his fingers at her, wiggling them in demonstration.

"I'm almost good as new," he said. "It'll be fine. I'm just glad to be back."

Nora came next, catching the end of his words and giving him a hug as well. "That cute boyfriend of yours getting tired of nursing you already? What did you do to him?" She turned to Becky. "It's always the doctors who make the worst patients themselves."

The two women nodded sagaciously and Rowan rolled his eyes.
"I was good,' he protested, but he didn't expect it to have much impact.

The first three hours followed as usual... room after room of patients, most of them hospitalized for one reason or another. Since this wasn't the ER none of these cases were of the 'take two and call me in the morning' variety. A lot of it would have been fairly dull aside from the fact that the whole pediatrics ward was full and he was the only doctor present. Six hours passed in a flash with Rowan reading charts, examining lab results, ordering tests, and checking on patients. He fell back into the routine easily though, mingling stories and simple games to put his kids at ease and try to make this less of a stressful experience for them.

He couldn't help patting his pockets frequently, something no one but Cris seemed to notice. Rowan tried not to but it was difficult; when someone sneaked a letter into your pocket right under your nose, a tiny bit of paranoia had to be expected.

Midway through his six hours of Pediatrics, Lynn paged him to her office. Rowan expected this would be Sullivan's arrival so he told Becky and Nora he'd be back shortly, and headed that way. He was glad Cris was with him; he never forgot the fact, holding doors a bit longer than usual and walking near the wall of the hallways but out far enough that Cris could fit in next to him without having to dodge and weave through pedestrian traffic.
Cris savored Rowan's kiss in all its tender, lingering gentleness. He suspected that he felt the same way as his partner, if the length of his lover's embrace were any indication. Most of him wanted to stay here, or better still back at The Towers, and let this whole thing simply go away while Rowan remained safely hidden. He knew that it wouldn't happen that way and he wanted Rowan to be truly safe and truly free. That required putting his lover at risk. It required that he not fail Rowan. They had to find this killer; there simply was no other option.

He nodded when Rowan asked if he was ready. Cris stood and blended, following along behind his partner as he left the office.

The rest of his afternoon was spent listening to conversations about Rowan's return, checking auras, sending information to Ume, checking in with the team outside, watching Rowan work with the children, checking the security of the hospital, memorizing the floor plan and other such details.

The conversation about him nursing Rowan back to health and potentially kicking him out early for bad behavior made him smile. [Oh, yes, you were good...until you were not.] Cris grinned from his place behind Rowan. [And then you were very bad.]

Cris found himself watching Rowan's pockets and noted that his lover continually checked them through out the day. He could not fault his lover for this new nervous habit. Cris hoped between the two of them that, if another note appeared in Rowan's pocket, that they would be able to narrow down a brief amount of time in which it could have been delivered. With them both checking frequently that seemed likely. It might give them some clue to help track the murderer.
Mai_NPC 12 years ago
Emma was not entirely certain what to think of this assignment. She had felt, ever since she nearly got herself and her partner killed on a mission, that she could not do anything right in the eyes of Christian Bern. He had not reprimanded her harshly for her error in judgment, in fact he had said very little. He had quietly recommended both an advanced self defense training course and a fire arms course. She had resisted.

It was stupid and perhaps she was scared to go back out on missions but she stubbornly refused to take the courses. Her pride had been hurt and she had felt guilty. Moreover she always felt somewhat 'less than' her vampire partner. Like the token tag along human that was useless but for some reason Evenhet continued to want them as allies.

When her fiance had been killed by a vampire she had been badly injured and spent many months in the hospital and then quite a few more in physical therapy. She had added a self defense course then; though she did not feel it would do any good against the being she had seen. However, she had to do something and she had very little to lose. With anger fueling her and armed with her new knowledge, crosses and holy water, she had gone out in search of the monster.

Peter had found her instead. He was the soul of patience despite how terrible she was to him in that first meeting and the ones that followed for a while. Eventually she found herself introduced to Evenhet and a group of people who believed in living together and not using humans as a disposable food source.

After a while, she joined them and not long after that Emma had joined the security team. Her partner was William and she had liked him from the start. She never knew how Bern picked which people went together but she had to admit he seemed to have a knack for it. The security teams were some of the tightest knit people she had ever met. She had found a family there. William soon became her best friend; they got along better than her and Peter most days. It hurt all that much more when she nearly got him killed.

Now she was here working with the Head of Security and his partner to help find a psychopath that was in all likelihood a vampire or a werewolf or something. Did zombies exist also? Did they go on murdering sprees? She had not heard of those but she was open to the idea that any of the beings that she thought had existed only in fairy tales were actually very real.

Why did Christian trust her on something this important? Why didn't he put a vampire here in her place? Emma had asked herself those questions about a thousand times just this morning.

She made her way into the hospital and checked in with the nurse's desk of the pediatrics ward. According to the information she had been given, this was the most likely place to find Dr. Murphy. Emma sighed. She was not sure she could talk to this man without turning fire engine red. He was handsome and confident and probably hated even the sight of her. She felt guilty every time she thought about what she had said and the resulting colourful rant she had been given by the redhead.

Well, at the very least any stuttering and nervousness that happened would make her look like an authentic new intern worried about making a good impression on their first day.

Emma had dressed appriopriately for work in the traditional green scrubs and lab coat. She and Christian had discussed at length whether or not she should carry a small firearm and it was decided that she should. It would seem that she might have to put that training course to the test. Her boss explained that the murderer would likely suspect any new person around Rowan to be one of them, quite probably a vampire. With the killer's suspicions up anyway, it would not hurt for her to be carrying some protection that might be the very thing that saved a few lives.

So here she was at the desk, asking for Rowan, with a small pistol tucked in a special holster under her loose fitting top. It nestled the weapon into the small of her back where both scrubs and coat should had the small bulge.

"Hello, I am here to see Dr. Murphy. My name is Emma Sullivan.”
Rowan had a brief chat with Lynn in her office and then located the nurse's station in Pediatrics, where they'd called to tell him Sullivan was waiting. Not Sullivan, he reminded himself.

"You must be Miss Sullivan," he said with a smile, spotting the woman in question. She was appropriately dressed, of course, in light green scrubs and a white coat. That amused him; most of the doctors here, including their interns, wore professional dress; slacks, skirts, ties, all the works. Rowan stuck out As the sole doctor in scrubs. It pleased him to think his intern would do the same, even if she wasn't an intern for real. It only made it more fitting. Now she just needed a few more piercings.

"I'm so glad I got you," he said sincerely. "I hear your application was the source of some debate. Luckily, I have an 'in' with Dr. Killian."

Dr. Killian being the member of Evenhet Security in New York who was acquainted with both him and Cris. In keeping with what was expected from a doctor and his new intern, Rowan put out his hand to shake even though he and Sullivan knew each other already. Oh, how they knew each other. Rowan was, in fact, busy keeping up a steady stream of internal conversation with that 'in.'
In fact, in response to Cris's latest sending he returned, [Please let her know I'm grateful to her for doing this.]

"I'm Dr. Murphy, Head of Pediatrics. We'll be spending a good deal of time together in the next few weeks. I work mainly in this wing, but I often rotate out to the ER and Internal as well."

He tried to hide his mounting anxiety; Sullivan was young. She didn't exactly look like a shrinking violet but she had her whole life ahead of her. Rowan was unused to people being in danger on his behalf. He'd done some stupid things in his own youth, but not many of them had included willfully endangering young women.

Rowan channeled the anxiety into anger; it would be a more useful emotion to him. Sullivan was there to help them find answers; she could move about the hospital as Rowan's intern. She was, in fact, expected to do all of his annoying grunt work. Go to the lab. Go drop these reports off. Go file these. Every intern had it rough in that sense, and in this case it was a gift. Every intern suffered through it.

Well, he thought with humor, every intern except redheaded vampires with suggestion. He might have used his abilities to soften his own internship a time or two. Having a single female doctor to follow around had also helped. Rowan could be shamelessly unprofessional sometimes... he just hid it very well.

"Have you been given the tour yet? Let me show you around."

He had enough time for this; when they went to the ER he would not. For now, though, his patients were all stable and nothing pressing was happening. So he took half an hour and spent it showing Sullivan (and Cris, by extension) everything they needed to know about what was where in the hospital. What access was needed to get into the records, the drugs, the location of the break rooms, cafeterias, pharmacies, nurses' stations, exits both public and restricted. It was a wealth of information that, he hoped, could help them put together facts.

They didn't have any time together until it was time to switch shifts to the ER. That wing was across the hospital so Rowan usually stopped at his office to make sure he had everything he needed. Once there, they could close the door and quietly conference.
Mai_NPC 12 years ago
Emma shook hands with Dr. Murphy, still somewhat surprised by a vampire doctor. She had accepted it on an intellectual level and being around Evenhet had cured her of thinking of vampires as musty old things wearing moth eaten frock coats. She had seen all kinds of modern vampires but somehow one dedicated to the healing of humans was especially unique. It made him all the more strange and intimidating.

"Just Emma, please.” She smiled and tucked a stray strand of dark brown hair behind her ear and tried not to blush; it just made the freckles stand out that much more on her face. They made her look younger than her twenty eight years. She had tried to change that with an edgy bob, hoping to toughen up her image. It had just made her look silly, like Rebecca from Sunnybrook Farm came to town and got mugged by an overly enthusiastic barber. Now it had grown out enough that most of it could be pulled up into a clip; just the front pieces remained untamed.

"That is what I heard. I'm happy to be here, Sir.” The blush happened anyway as she slipped and automatically spoke as she would when speaking to Mr. Bern. "...Doctor.” An intern would be comfortable with that title; Sullivan reminded herself of that with a mental slap to the forehead.

And then Christian's voice was in her mind.

She had grown accustomed to Peter's being there and had even started to take comfort from the fact that she was never truly alone. At first it had felt like an invasion of her privacy. At least that was what she had expected but Peter, probably sensing that she was worried about keeping her own mental space, rarely spoke to her in the beginning. He let her do the initiating of contact until it became natural and welcome. Now it was like having a good friend on mental speed dial.

Her boss's voice in her head was a different matter. His cool tenor seemed somewhat softer here and she wondered about that. Peter's had always sounded the same. [Rowan would like to thank you for helping in this way.] There was a long mental pause. [And I would like to thank you also.]

She didn't know what to say, or to send. This had been an assignment. Christian had briefed her on it and told her that she was free to turn it down if she felt that it was too risky but she could not imagine doing such a thing. Rowan was a part of Evenhet. They protected their own. Sure he was the intimate partner to the Head of Security but that only made it more personal for her boss. [ Uhm, Your welcome, Sir. And Dr. Murphy as well, of course.]

Emma followed after Rowan as he showed her around. She made note of the exits, security cameras, and dark corners. All the things she had been taught to look for when scoping out a place. She also kept a frequent watch on Rowan, standing within touching distant whenever someone else interacted with him. Christian had told her that the person was able to blend but she felt better about being able to push the good doctor out of the way if need be.

Eventually they made their way back to Rowan's office. She stepped inside and moved out of the way, knowing that three of them needed to get into the room.
Cris followed along after the pair, slightly amused by Sullivan's reaction to Rowan. He really did have her flustered. He watched her aura along with everyone else and noted the shifts and flickers through out their tour. She had seemed almost suspicious of Rowan in the beginning, along with the nervousness. He found the protectiveness in her aura very endearing. Sullivan was a true member of Security. One of those people who protected others because they felt called to do it not because it was a job. For that, Cris considered her to be one of his better people. If he could help her get past that stubborn streak and the phantoms that still haunted her from the past and occasionally coloured her judgment then she would be outstanding.

He watched her noting the doors, exits and other things of importance and nodded to himself. She also watched everyone over the age of ten with wary suspicion. Not outwardly but it was written on her aura for him to see quite clearly. Cris was also gratified to see that even the cheerful and friendly people did not get a pass as far as she was concerned. Sullivan remained suspicious of them despite talk of welcome back cookies and every day hospital drama.

A part of him wondered whether the killer had taken notice of her yet. Was he here somewhere lurking? Was Sullivan now a target along with Rowan? Cris hoped not.

They ended up back at Rowan's office and Cris slid through the opening that his partner had given him. He waited until Rowan had shut the door before appearing and walking over to the sofa.

"Have a seat.” Cris spoke quietly to Sullivan and gestured to one of the chairs. He kept his voice as soft as possible while remaining able to be heard by the human in the room. The person they were hunting was not human and that meant better hearing than most. He would like to keep his presence hidden if at all possible. "Any thoughts?”

"MARI, monitor the door using motion sensors and sound readings and let us know if anyone comes close enough to hear our conversation."

The little robot rolled out from underneath the sofa. "Hello, Emma." MARI did a little twirl of greeting. "Affirmative. Mr. Bern." She rolled over to the door. "I will alert you with this light." The little device blinked a red light at them. "if it is unsafe to speak."
"Emma it is, then," Rowan said. He wished he could ask her to call him Rowan in return but that would be unprofessional. While normally he didn't give much of a shit for convention in this case being unconventional would draw more attention than they wanted.

"It's all right," he said at her little bobble. Sir worked fine for him. Doctor was, of course, appropriate, but no one would blink twice if Emma opted for a 'sir' here and there.

The tour was managed briefly, but hopefully gave both Cris and Emma enough time to get the lay of the land. Cris, of course, could go exploring on his own although Rowan found himself hoping he stuck close. Emma, of course, would have ample opportunity to go places. Rowan would find excuses to send her everywhere, and no on would think anything of it since she was an intern and expected to do so.

It was a little odd hearing Cris offer Sullivan a seat in his own office, but odd in a good way. Good like the way that Rowan did not have things that were 'his' anymore. Things were 'theirs' or 'ours.' It didn't even occur to him to feel slighted or anything of the sort. He actually rather enjoyed the fact that he was sitting in his office listening to Darth Bern the leader. He couldn't help it; even in this setting, with such serious matters at hand... Cris was damn sexy.

Even though he knew Cris was right there Rowan breathed a soft sigh of relief when he appeared after the door was shut. He was torn between maintaining that professional distance and saying 'fuck it.' In the end, 'fuck it' won out. After a brief debate he crossed the room and sat on the couch next to Cris, so close their legs were brushing, resting his hand gently on Cris's knee. Maybe he was being slightly insolent; after all, hadn't Sullivan gotten herself in trouble by being... well, indiscreet with her public opinion of Cris and Rowan's relationship? His attitude now invited criticism, although he didn't truly mean to. That was Rowan, though... flaunting convention and blatantly putting everything right out there.

"Just let me know where you both want me," he said, looking from one to the other. "Intrigue wasn't really always my thing. Head first with pistols and rapiers blazing was more my style."

His words were light but his voice serious; Rowan understood that his own failure to follow plans could jeopardize not just his life but Emma's... or Cris's. He wouldn't do that. It was one thing to risk his own but another entirely to risk someone else's.

Rowan smoothed his hand over the cool clean fabric of Cris's slacks, drawing comfort from his partner's presence once more. He couldn't remember the last time he was so conflicted... angry, nervous, uptight, confident. It was a strange mix and he found that no small part of him wished he and Cris were back at home still. He had to get over that; Rowan wasn't a hider. Nor a coward. They had to do this.
Mai_NPC 12 years ago
Emma nodded to Cris and then turned one of the chairs in front of the desk around to face the sofa. She waited until Rowan had crossed the room and seated himself next to her boss before she leaned forward to begin.

First there was the little robot. She smiled and waved at it. MARI had been one of the first and most obvious indications that vampires were not at all what she expected from all the stories. The computerized woman had always been polite to her, interested in her daily life and, even though she knew what she said probably went down in some file somewhere, it was hard not to talk to her. MARI never forgot what you had said from previous conversations and she was an excellent listener. The AI did not cut in with her own problems; though occasionally she required an explanation of simple human oddities. It was nice; with MARI around you did not need to pay for a therapist and the woman did not ask you about your childhood unless it was actually a relevant question.

The little robot went to take up a station next to the door. The little rollers retracted so that the body of the device sat flush on the floor. Emma guessed that was to give it a more stable base for movement readings.

Turning back to the others, she said. "This place has a lot places that would make it easy to pass a note. Narrow hallways, small supply rooms, or just ones crammed with gurneys, patients and machines.” She shrugged. "There are cameras covering a lot of the public space but plenty of employee only areas have no visual coverage at all.” She held up a hand to Christian. "I know that it might not be the same as blending and that we cannot assume we are dealing with a vampire, but have we checked the security camera footage from the night that Dr. Murphy was burned?”

She shrugged. "He was probably smarter than that but...it might be worth looking into.”

They had told her that this guy had hunted at least one other vampire prior to the doctor. It gave her an uneasy feeling. This could have been her, without the special abilities; she had been determined to hunt down all vampires as monsters before she knew the truth about them. Of course if this killer was a vampire then he did know the truth. Being supernatural and hunting other supernaturals probably meant that the guy was careful to cover his tracks and it was unlikely that he would pass something off to Rowan right in front of them.

Emma did not answer Rowan's question. That was for the Head of Security to decide. So she turned to him and waited for his say in the matter.
Cris waited for Rowan to come and sit down next to him. It was the logical place for his partner to choose which was why he suggested the chair for Sullivan. However, his companion might feel awkward with the girl after their confrontation and choose the other chair instead. He was therefore relieved when Rowan came and sat down next to him, close enough to touch. Tension he had not realized he had been holding onto went out of him in a slow almost inaudible sigh.

Sliding his hand over the one that rested on his knee, Cris gave it a reassuring squeeze before simply covering it with his own. He longed to take Rowan in his arms and discuss everything that needed to be discussed from that intimate embrace. His restraint was for Sullivan's sake; though he would not maintain a distance from Rowan simply to put her at ease. His lover's comfort and safety were of the utmost importance to him. If seeing her normally unemotional and extremely formal superior making gestures of love to his partner was too much for her then that was simply too damn bad.

Sullivan spoke to MARI and then got right to work, commenting on the things that she had observed. Cris nodded and agreed. "There are and there is not much we can do to keep Rowan out of those spaces.” He supposed when supplies were needed that Rowan could send his new intern to get them but that only cut down on a few places that the killer could use. It was probably not enough to even be worry with. Cris suspected that the man would find a way. Further more, they did not want to make the task too difficult because the best place for them to encounter the man was in the hospital where they had plenty of surveillance.

"Very good.” Cris commended her and then answered her question. "We checked the cameras from that night and he must have picked a spot that was off them.” Right this moment the team in the van had access to every security camera in the building. They were looking for things that were out of the ordinary and relaying their information back and forth to him and MARI. The other thing that the AI was doing was relaying a false image to the actual hospital recording devices. Otherwise they would see him wandering the halls around Rowan. He couldn't have that but he could not afford to skulk from one unmonitored space to another. "Right now the people monitoring the cameras are relaying to MARI who is next to Rowan at any given time, each time someone new comes into the frame.” In this way the computer would be able to recognize any disparity between the living perception and her own. They should find anyone who dared to approach Rowan in an unconventional manner fairly quickly. He hoped that it would be that easy. If the man did not know how many people were involved in this hunt then it had a good chance of being exactly that.

Answering his partner's question, Cris said. "Do what you would normally do.” He nodded to Sullivan. "A new intern for a busy doctor is not out of the ordinary. We expect that the man will be suspicious of her but there is a possibility that he will not be. If we are to be that lucky then we need everything else to continue on normally.”

He considered whether there were any cautions that he needed to add and decided that they could not afford to change anything that would make Rowan appear self conscious.

"The good thing, or perhaps that is not the right term, but the killer knows that you are likely to be wary of coming back here after what happened. Any abnormal behavior or cautiousness on your part will likely be seen as a natural reaction.”
Rowan heard Cris's soft sigh and was glad he had opted for 'fuck it.' He felt Cris relax a little and, as always, felt that little hint of wonderment that he should have the same effect on Cris as Cris had on him. He had never needed to be needed so badly in his long life, nor had he ever needed someone like this himself.

His grey-green eyes glanced from Emma to MARI and back to Cris as the quiet discussion took place. He listened to Emma's observations and watched his partner nod in agreement with them.

So far everything was sensible. Stay away from rooms without video cameras... well, that was many of them. Most of them, really. This was a hospital, not a prison facility. Cameras were located around the exits and in the pharmacies. Most of the hallways and all of the patient rooms were camera-free, obviously, for patient privacy.

"He could have been disguised as a patient, couldn't he?" Rowan asked softly. That option opened up a whole new realm of suspects. The killer didn't necessarily have to be someone he worked with; he could have come in as a patient, sneaked off, delivered his note, sneaked back to his room, and then left when he'd been discharged all without looking suspicious.

And if that was the case, Rowan could easily find himself holding another note at any place and any time.

"He could be anyone, anywhere," he murmured. His voice was low and intense. He hated this man, whoever he was. Rowan had done a lot of killing in his time, but he could say with total honesty that never in his memorable lifetime had he ever intentionally, knowingly, or willingly harmed a child. What he'd done before he was turned, who knew? But even at his lowest point, he hadn't hurt any children.

He huffed a soft sigh.
"I'll try to be careful about where I go," he promised. "Would it be better to try and stay away from very public places?"

It seemed to him that a big crowd might be the perfect way to deliver a note, lots of people around and all. Damn this intrigue. Rowan had never wanted so badly to fire a cannon point blank at someone's face. He was a patient man, though, and willing to do what had to be done to get the right person.

He glanced at the clock; they only had about five minutes before he really needed to get to the ER. That would be crazy time. He slumped over a little, leaning against Cris, determined to eke out what comfort he could from this short-lived respite.

"Oh I can behave normally," he promised. "Really, the abnormal behavior is that I may not be nervous enough."

He really, really wanted this bastard.

"I can try to be jumpier if you think it would be more convincing."
Mai_NPC 12 years ago
She tried not to seem too happy with the praise from her superior. Bern did not give out compliments lightly so he obviously meant it. Emma would admit that her boss was perfectly willing to give credit where it was due and he was actually very good at positive reinforcement. The problem most people had with Christian Bern was that he was also equally willing to point out the mistakes his people made or tell them how their job could have been done better. To be fair, and she had recently learned that she should keep an open mind, her boss seemed to bring up these failures in the hopes that it would make his people better at their jobs. It was rarely very accusatory unless their performance had been less than satisfactory.

Emma was a bit crestfallen that he had already thought of checking the cameras from the night of the first crime but she could not claim to have been surprised. Nor was she shocked that it had turned up nothing useful.

She listened to Rowan and Cris and finally nodded when Rowan said that he was probably not panicked enough. "That is true but it is a difficult emotion to fake. He doesn't know much about you so for all he knows you have amazing poise while under stress.” It certainly seemed to be true from what she could tell. Many people in Rowan's position would be a nervous useless wreck right now. "And if you look agitated then your co-workers are going to wonder what is wrong. They might be understanding given your recent trauma but they will still ask.” She shrugged. It could be both good and bad to have them worried about him. "It might draw the killer out. If everyone is genuinely concerned about Dr. Murphy when they ask if he is okay...and the killer is not.” Emma looked at Christian. The murderer could be an excellent actor on the surface but if his emotions did not match the role he was playing then the blended security chief would notice. "I can imagine he would be interested in your well being but not sympathetic.”
He thought that Rowan was perfectly capable of acting out whatever part they asked of him but Sullivan did not know him as well. "It is up to you. Lynn and the others will be worried if you are upset and seem out of sorts." They would definitely ask about it but was that a good thing or a bad one?

Giving up on that line of questioning for the moment, he answered his partner's other query. Cris turned to Rowan and nodded. "It is possible that he was a patient but we know that he is supernatural in some way so that seems unlikely. It would be difficult to fake being sick, at least repeatedly.” Of course he could have suggestion or command or some werewolf ability they did not even know about that would allow him to tell the doctor that he had this or that problem. However the tests did not lie and there would be a paper trail. It seemed like a messy and unnecessary way to work.

"We know from your notes on him that he is a serial killer and we've certainly seen evidence of this. The notes and the drawn out method of hunting suggest someone who sees this almost as a game or a ritual. These people tend to want to watch their victims. We can be almost certain he is around watching you. He wants to see how you react and how his little game effects you.”

Reaching over, he squeezed Rowan's leg. "If I were a crazy but methodical stalker then I would do that one of two ways. First way would be to bring in a terminal or seriously ill patient and be the concerned relative of this person. That would allow him to watch you without worrying about any tests and very few, if any, paper trails connecting him to someone in the hospital. He would be free to walk around all the public areas though he would need to spend considerable amount of time with his 'dear old nan'." Holding up a hand, he went on. "The second option would be to get a job in the building. This has some benefits that the other plan does not. This would allow him to go into more places, even a janitor is allowed in most of the hospital. It would not require him to sit all day in a room next to someone and would give him more of a chance to watch you while you work. There would also not be a messy second person to deal with.” Cris leaned back against the sofa. "The bad part of this plan is that there would be a small hiring paper trail but, as our man here expects to win, I doubt he will see that as a problem. It means he is stuck at the hospital for his work shift and it would require him to actually do a job.”

He looked at the other two to see what they might add. "Still, he -could- be anywhere and anyone.”

Cris reached around and hugged Rowan closer to him when his lover leaned more heavily against him. "We'll find him, Love.” He pulled his partner tighter and added in a quiet but determined whisper. "I promise.”
Rowan raised his eyebrows at Emma and grinned charmingly. "But I do have amazing poise under stress," he said lightly, not concerned about modesty. "It's why I can work the ER."

It was simple truth; panicky doctors didn't last long in stressful settings. Patient and versatile in his responses, Rowan had always handled stress well. Even on pirate ships he was a thinker, considering a problem carefully before reacting to it. In this case, though, his cocky confidence served several purposes. He didn't outwardly want to display any nervousness or uncertainty. Cris knew the truth; that he was somewhat conflicted and tangled inside, but mostly hale. Emma didn't need to know though. He wanted her to be able to take confidence in his confidence. The same went for anyone who worked on this with them. If Rowan continued to optimistically believe they would succeed, then everyone would.

As Cris spoke next Rowan snuggled against him, listening attentively. Some of Cris's words struck a chord but Rowan didn't want to interrupt his lover so he waited until Cris was done.

"A ritual," he said. "He mentioned cleansing, redemption, and judgment in the first poem."

Rowan was familiar with psychological profiles. All doctors had to take basic psychology and Rowan had taken quite a bit. Even without the more in depth learning though, Profiles 101 was basic stuff. Mission oriented and visionary killers would fit this sort of murder.

Even if Cris hadn't been making a lot of sense, Rowan would still have found comfort in his soothing tenor as he spoke. He almost believed he could fall sleep to it, except that it was currently wrapping itself around some very interesting theories. Mysteries weren't necessarily Rowan's thing. They were Cris's though, so Rowan listened and nodded slowly.

"Being employed here would also give him an alibi," Rowan said thoughtfully. "If he really can become invisible, he could claim that he was at work the whole time of his shift and no one would be able to gainsay him."

Then he shook his head. He wished it were just between himself and this killer. Why did he have to involve children?

"Why does he have to use this method though? Do you think the fact that he chose one of my patients is significant? I haven't had any botched surgeries or strange deaths in any of them."

He had lost patients, yes, but only two or three and he'd given those names to Cris already so they could check out their families. No one seemed to be harboring any hidden hostility toward Rowan that they could determine through both speaking to them and using empathy.

He turned so that he could lean back against Cris, laying himself back onto his partner's lap. Cris's soft tones spoke of determination and dedication. Rowan smiled up at him, still embracing that confidence that could only grow stronger with Cris's presence. Rowan wrapped his arms around Cris's neck.
"I know we will," he said peacefully.

Turning to Emma he said,
"Excuse me."

Then he pulled Cris down and kissed him gently, softly, on his lips. he let his eyelids drift closed for just the barest of moments before giving a soft sigh and straightening back up. he glanced at the clock.

"It's ER time. Are we ready to embrace the world once more?"

He glanced back and forth between Cris and Emma, knowing they only had one reasonable answer.
Mai_NPC 12 years ago
Emma's eyes widened as Rowan explained quite casually and confidently that he was the very soul of grace under fire and then gave a business reference as proof. Her eyes darted to Christian briefly but as always he was wearing that calm inscrutable face that hid whatever might be going on inside his head. Slowly she quirked one eyebrow at him and smiled. "Well that will make things easier then, won't it?” Hopefully her boss wouldn't fire her for being saucy to his lover. Her attention was focused on Rowan but she had learned, through one of the Chief of Security's own classes no less, how to pay attention to the details in her peripheral vision and this allowed her to see the corners of the Christian's mouth quirk upward in a small smile.

She nodded with Rowan when he mentioned the poem and the conclusion that the killer was performing a ritual. Her boss had made sure that all of the team was fully briefed with as many details as they currently had and updated with any new ones. "Evidence suggests that this is the same pattern he followed with the last...target.” Emma bit her lip and then shrugged at Rowan apologetically. She had helped guard important Evenhet diplomats once or twice and had been security at numerous important events but this was the first time she had ever been the body guard for someone who knew for a certainty that there was a killer after them.

When Rowan questioned the reason for the murderer to involve one of Rowan's former patients, she shrugged sadly. "Perhaps he simply wants to see you suffer.” Emma looked over at her boss; this could not be very easy for him. Guessing about their boss's private life had been a security hobby for decades; this was not how she wanted to see more of it. They needed to find this guy so he could go back to being calm, cool and mysterious to everyone. "Or maybe he thinks you are atoning for the sin of being a vampire by helping others and he wants to prove that it doesn't matter somehow.” She had to think like a serial killer who despised vampires to come up with that logic. It was not so long ago in her memory that she thought that all of their kind must be monsters based on the one she had seen so it was easy enough to see how someone else might come to that conclusion. If he thought, like she had, that vampires were really monsters then perhaps, in his case, all the good deeds in the world wouldn't make up for it. Emma had been proven wrong by meeting vampires who were kind, insecure, funny, dorky, imperfect and basically human but if this person had not been mentally well to begin with and had met a bad example of the vampire race then he might feel justified in hunting them down and killing them.

Rowan excused himself. She nodding, frowning slightly in confusion for half a second before his reason for the statement made perfect sense. Emma turned her head away, examining her manicure for chips in the clear nail polish. Out of the corner of her eye she could see her boss with his head bent down to his partner kissing him gently. They looked so content together, even now. It tugged at her heart; she was at once happy for them and envious of their connection. All single people felt this way in the face of successful, romantic love.

At Dr. Murphy's question about the ER, Emma quickly stood and nodded her head. She stood by the door and muttered with a smile while waiting for her boss to blend once more before she opened it. "I hope you don't get squeamish, sir.”
It was good to see Rowan and Sullivan getting along. There had been a couple of other people who could have played the part of an intern but Emma had been his first choice. She had a cool head and quick wits and the best background for the job. She had almost reached this point in her medical training before she was violently shoved into the world of vampires.

Another part of him just wanted them to have a chance to get to know each other as people. Cris mentally justified such actions to himself, pointing out that it wasn't match making just being a well meaning busy body. And that made it so much better.

Her flippant but somewhat tame comment to Rowan suggested what his empathy had already told him and that was that Emma was starting to find Rowan less intimidating and more interesting. Excellent, all according to plan.

The conversation turned to why the killer chose to torture Rowan by killing children that he had worked on in the past. Cris spoke softly. "He has chosen one child that you have treated. Until he chooses another then it is not a conclusive pattern. Perhaps she was somehow convenient.” Cris knew better than that but he supposed it was possible. More likely the girl had been selected carefully. "It is possible that he might choose an adult next or a stranger.” He looked at Rowan and then Emma. "Or we might find him before he gets a chance to choose anyone else.” It seemed unlikely and somewhat optimistic but they needed to think that way whenever possible.

"It seems likely that he does not care about humans. It is obvious that taking lives other than his target means little to him." He knew many hardened killers would balk at murdering a child. Cris looked at his companions. "If Emma's theory were correct then it would seem odd that he would choose to harm humans himself, seeing that as the very evil he was trying to cleanse. However, I will admit serial killers have been known to have some strange logic such as excusing their own crimes while condemning others.” He shrugged. "The human killing vampire hunter scenario only seems to make sense if the murderer is a werewolf. He could still have a personal hatred of vampires without having regard for human life. A vampire hunting vampires because he believes them to be evil generally treats humans quite well, seeing them as something innocent and perfect that he can no longer be.” He sighed and then added. "Unless he considered himself already damned and therefore prone to such atrocities by an predestined inner nature. It is just as likely that he is a vampire who hunts vampires for some reason we haven't thought of." Cris struggled to keep the frustration from his voice. "I don't think we have any way of knowing until he strikes again. Seeing more of his behavior in action gives us more insight and lets us rule out theories that no longer apply.” He wished they knew who the other vampire target had been but so far that had proven a fruitless search. If the man had any kind of similarity to Rowan other than race then they might have a better grip on this guy's motive. Had he also been a doctor? An Irish vampire? Had he once snacked on this man's girlfriend or what?

Rowan leaned back into him, laying across his lap and Cris raised an arms to support his lover's change of position. He smiled as Rowan wrapped his arms around his neck and asked Emma to excuse him. What came next might have been a surprise to Sullivan but it was no surprise to him. Cris leaned down into his partner's embrace and savored the soft sweet kiss, lingering against Rowan's lips for as long as he dared.

Rowan pulled away, straightening himself up and looking at the clock. They were headed back to business far too soon. He wanted to send Emma out to lunch and then thoroughly love his partner right here on the sofa.

[If we must.] He mentally pouted while standing up and tugging on his jacket.

Cris blended and headed toward the door, ready to squeeze between the two of them as they made their way out. Sullivan's little remark amused him and Cris smiled, knowing she couldn't see it. He leaned down next to her and whispered. "If I get sick then I know who to aim for.”
It wasn't easy to pull himself away from Cris, even with a mission at hand. Rowan would have gone back to his partner at even the slightest tug or pull but Cris also knew what they had to do - although that didn't stop him from sending to Rowan as he stood.

[We must, love... but remember how kind Lynn was to me, to us, this week. Just four more hours.]

Short shifts all week was like a little bit of heaven. Time to go home and regroup, time to put together facts, time to try to understand what was happening to them, but best of all time to be together.

Rowan chuckled at the exchange between Emma and Cris as they left Rowan's small office. He seriously doubted Cris would get squeamish, given his long and somewhat violent history, but you never could tell - he'd seen the most die hard of doctors and nurses grow squicky over simple things.

As it happened, it was a fairly non-bloody night at the ER. And the few cases that were, did not seem to turn anyone green. Granted, Rowan wouldn't have seen the green on Cris anyway while he was blended, but his partner was unshakable as always.

On the way home Rowan did not like parting from Emma; she was one of their team and he worried about her but whoever was after him had no cause to go after her and they certainly couldn't be seen walking home together. Besides, he was sure that Cris would have provisions in place to take care of Emma, as he had a second escort with blending arranged for Rowan.

It made him sad not to be able to walk home hand in hand with Cris, but Cris solved the problem for him. He slipped his hand into his coat pocket to find Cris's, unseen but warm and waiting. It was the best they could get and it was just right.

((ooc: all out))