Footprints in the Snow (Attn: Marie)

Julian wasn't the biggest fan of the cold but he still enjoyed winter sports. It was a New York thing. He didn't avoid the snow, he just bundled up nice and warm for it. Of course, snow sports were kind of tough given the state of his hip, so instead of getting in over his head and trying to cross-country ski or something equally catastrophic Julian was simply walking. The trails in the Preserve were more or less cleared, but he could still see prints. They looked well-traveled.

He could see that someone had, indeed, come through on skis recently. There were also plenty of footprints, and some hoof prints. Julian hadn't realized the park was so popular but it was the largest open area in Nachton. And while it was wintry-chilly out, the sun was up and shining and there wasn't a lot of wind. It didn't feel as cold as it was.

Bearing in mind that there was a lot of traffic here apparently, Julian kept toward the side of the trails as he walked slowly across them. On flat ground his limp wasn't bad at a normal pace but here on the snowy trails it was much more pronounced. This was good exercise though, so he resolved to walk for another mile or so.

Marie 12 years ago
Spring semester classes didn't start until next week. Of course, just because there hadn't been actual classes didn't mean Marie had stopped studying, Ysabel did believe in education and a well rounded one at that. In her off time though the classes were different, more languages, manners, music, and the like. Even so things weren't all work and no play. They balanced out.

Today she was out enjoying the cold. Up until coming to Nachton a few years ago winter weather was typically in the mid sixties so the cold and snow was still something of a novelty. Besides, it was an excellent excuse to take out Ysabel's little Arabian mare. Marie was quite fond of her, she had a more mellow disposition that Adagio who she typically rode, but still a good spirit and lively action And the ridding kept her warm.

As they rounded a bend Marie saw someone in front of them. A man. Partly to be polite, but partly because she didn't know this man she slowed her mount to a walk and watched him for a second. It wasn't Ambrose, it couldn't be in bright sunlight, but he did move a bit stiffly like Ambrose. She might not have noticed the limp at all if it hadn't been for Ysabel's lover... fiancé. She had to remember that.

"Hello. Heads up."

She called just to make sure he was aware of her presence. It was amazing but some times hikers didn't see riders. How you missed a thousand pound animal was a mystery to Marie but it happened.

As they got closer she thought the hiker seemed a bit familiar and she pulled her scarf down a bit so he could see who she was and smiled tentatively. She still didn't like to have anything to do with strange men but if she knew him she didn't want to be rude.
Julian Stephenson 12 years ago
Julian heard the soft muffled hoofbeats in the snow and looked up to see a figure on a reddish brown horse approaching. He stopped and watched when the rider called out in a woman's voice. He loved animals, horses included, and was a little envious of this person.

He raised a hand in greeting as the woman pulled her scarf away from her face and then realized he'd met her before. Last month, when Eiryk had taken him out on his boat, she'd been there. Marie, he thought her name was. She'd been very quiet but she seemed to know Eiryk and his partner Alexander pretty well.

"Marie, right? Hi!"

He pulled his own scarf down a bit.
"It's Julian, remember me?"

He ventured a step closer
. "Is this your horse? She's beautiful. Aren't you cold though?"

Julian looked up at the young woman, who couldn't be more than twenty. She was very pretty, caramel colored skin, big brown eyes. Kind of on the shy side; he usually preferred his women a little more confident. But she'd been nice.
Marie 12 years ago
When she'd first come to Nachton a strange man knowing her name might have caused Marie to turn and bolt. But she was making progress. That and knowing she had the added power of the horse gave her a little extra confidence. She took a better look at the man in question and did indeed remember him.

She wasn't exactly sure why Alexander and Eiryk had invited her to the little party but it had been very thoughtful and she had had fun. Marie did indeed remember Julian he had seemed friendly enough and nice. He was cute too (she was shy not stupid).

Marie brought Garnet to an even stop and smiled shyly.

"Yes, that's right. It is nice to see you again Julian."

Leaning over to stroke the soft red brown neck she shook her head.

"No, she belongs to a friend of mine. I'm just getting her a bit of fresh air today. Do you ride then?"

That perked her up a little bit. It always helped to have a little bit to talk about. Although, if she remembered right Julian was a musician. She wasn't a virtuoso but she could play.

She giggled a little.

"I was going to ask you the same question, out walking in the snow like this."

It was on the tip of her tongue to ask if he had slipped or hurt himself. But Ambrose was so prickly about his leg that Marie was a bit overly cautious on that point.
Apparently she did remember him. Julian's smile grew. Marie was a little young so it was hard to see her as date material but he wouldn't lie... she reminded him a bit of his sister. Maybe just because of her age but there it was.

"Nice to see you too. And no, I don't ride, not really. I've been on horses a few times, you know, on vacations and stuff, but I don't know a whole lot about them. Is it okay to pet her?"

He waited for a yes or a no before moving. Horses were too big to mess with really, and Julian knee enough about any animal to just approach on a whim. Garnet, as she was apparently named, was indeed very pretty, and she seemed very well behaved, standing there quietly.

"I'm fine as long as I stay moving. I'll walk with you," he said.

It was back the way he came but that didn't matter at all. He was just out to walk. The direction made no difference.

"I guess you've been riding for a while huh?"
Marie 12 years ago
She was a little disappointed he didn't ride, but it seemed that fewer people did than didn't.

"Oh yes, she's very gentle."

Most of Ysabel's horses were. They were all extremely well trained

He'd walk with her? Marie fought down a minor moment of panic. Although she knew that she should dismount and walk with him she couldn't bring herself to surrender that little advantage. So she nodded agreeably.

"I honestly don't remember not riding. My father was in the rodeo we just sort of grew up with it."

It didn't hurt quite as much to talk about her family. Marie even smiled at some of the memories mentioning her father to Julian brought up. It was beyond fortunate that Ysabel had found her and taken her in and let her continue working with horses.

"Is that how you started playing?"
Julian worked off his glove and held his palm out for Garnet to inspect, which she did, lowering her nose so that the long whiskers on her muzzle touched his hand and blowing out a puff of steamy warm air. She pressed her nose into his hand and he laughed softly before moving away so he could feel the velvety texture of the fur around her nose and then scratch behind her cheek.

"She is gentle," he agreed. "What a sweetie."

He sort of wanted to take her home but he doubted horses would get along well in studio apartments. Julian had considered a cat or something but it just seemed like too small a space for any animal, save fish, and he had a pretty bad track record with fish. He'd had a goldfish when he was younger... for five hours. And then it had mysteriously decided to go belly-up. Poor fish.

Julian walked beside Marie and her little mare, keeping clear of the horse's hooves and giving them plenty of room. He nodded in acknowledgment when Marie said she had always ridden. Not that he would know any differently but she certainly seemed confident on Garnet's back.

"Not exactly," he said, turning to smile up at Marie briefly before looking ahead of him again. If he didn't keep an eye on the path before him he'd trip and fall and that was hardly the way he saw things going... ever.

"Neither of my parents has an ounce of musical talent," he said, grinning at the idea of either his mom or dad trying to sing or play an instrument. "I always had my hands on something though, pots and pans for drums, or a blade of grass for a whistle. My grandmother used to play the violin but arthritis in her fingers kept her from doing it anymore when she got older. When I was six she gave me one of her violins and showed me how to scratch out a few tunes. It sort of snowballed from there."

Julian continued to smile at the memory.
"I had that thing tucked under my chin all hours of the day. I even slept with it a few times. I got so much shit for it in school." He rolled his eyes and mimicked a childish voice. "Only girls play violins!"

Shrugging, he turned back to Marie once again.
"Sticks and stones though. It was love at first caterwaul."
Marie 12 years ago
Smiling as Garnet and Julian got to know each other she felt slightly more at ease with him since he at least liked the little mare. Certainly people could pretend to be nice but it was still a point in his favor.

She'd never expected to ride English, or side saddle, not seriously but she was now rather proficient in both. As they started to walk she adjusted her seat a bit to make sure she wasn't being sloppy. It would be bad to claim to have ridden forever and look like an idiot.

"That sounds a bit like us. You just always did it and loved it. I'll bet you were cute beating on the pots and such too."

Marie replied cheerfully. Kids could be mean and she rolled her eyes in agreement with that. She'd always thought you were supposed to be open to new experiences and ideas when you were young and unformed. Apparently, that window was very narrow or came later.

She ginned again as he concluded.

"It is lucky you had your grandmother then and could find something you love so early. You might have turned into a physicist or something with out her."
"Every thing I did growing up was focused on one goal, going to music school," Julian said agreeably. "So yeah, I really was lucky. Knowing what I wanted to do gave me an edge. It's not easy to get into Julliard so I knew I had a lot of work. I practiced for hours every day, learned how to compose, played in concerts, went to competitions. It was a lot."

He shrugged again.
"But it paid off."

Julian laughed at Marie's comparison.
"Yeah I was lucky... I'd never forgive myself if I went into physics. Way too smart for me."

And boring. Truth be told Julian had been a straight A student all throughout school but the sciences bored the hell out of him. Oh, physics had been fun, particularly the chapters dealing with sound and sound waves. Seeing a visual representation of the music he played had been a lot of fun, and had inspired him to write a few pieces based on that. He'd continued that theme in college, producing a series of short works that sounded odd to the ear but when viewed in terms of waves were gorgeous.

Aside from that though, academics had just been things to get through.

"So what are you studying? You're in college now, right?"
Marie 12 years ago
"I wish I could be that focused."

Marie said a little wistfully. She was currently still sorting through options and hadn't even declared a major. But it was early in her college career so there was time and a lot of pre-requisites to get out of the way so she wasn't terribly worried.

"I had never thought of music as competitive... not like a sport."

She mused aloud. Certainly she knew getting jobs as a musician was competitive but who knew you could get a score and a medal and such. At least that is how she imagined music competitions. Still to get into a place like Julliard was more than a little impressive. She didn't have the talent for it and knew precious few people who might. He was right though, it had apparently paid off.

Nodding an affirmative Marie made a bit of a face at the current diversity of her classes.

"Some basics, English, Math and then Art History, Chemistry and an Equine Science class. No sense in getting too specific too soon. There is a film class I'd like to take the next time it comes up..."

At least her education would be well rounded. Although she was starting to think she'd never pick a major and just be in school forever. Ysabel, however, didn't seem terribly concerned about her current multi directional track and that reassured Marie. Especially as Ysabel wasn't against the idea of turning her, so she'd have plenty of time.
"You say focused, some people say obsessed," Julian replied to Marie as they walked. His tone of voice, however, made it clear that regardless of who had used the label or if they'd meant it seriously, it didn't bother him a bit. Julian was comfortable with himself. He knew he didn't always fit into the mainstream definition for guys his age but he didn't really care.

"Well no, it's not like a sport," he said. "I mean, I could hardly beat someone over the head with my violin could I. But there are fiddling competitions and music competitions and composing competitions all over the place. Especially in New York. From the time you pick up any instrument your teacher will start prepping you for NYSSMA's yearly shindig."

Realizing Marie probably had no clue what he was talking about, Julian elaborated
. "New York State School Music Association. They have competitions every year. If you do well enough you can audition to be accepted in a regional orchestra and the top performers of that one get combined into a statewide orchestra for a concert."

Oh how he remembered those days. Nothing like being the only elementary-school kid in the regional orchestra.

It sounded like Marie was the exact opposite of him, which would explain the somewhat wistful tone of voice, he supposed. The grass was always greener, wasn't it? Julian had never studied anything but music.

"Nothing wrong with exploring," he said. "I've never taken any of those classes. Well, not at a college level. Just the basics I needed for Julliard and then it was music, music, music, all day long. Sometimes I wish I'd taken the time to do what you're doing but I was in such a hurry to get out in the world."

Okay... that was actually a total lie but Julian wanted to be supportive, not critical. He really didn't think there was anything wrong with exploring your options, that much was true. But he'd never suffered a moment's hesitation as to his own life's course. Marie didn't have to know that though. if it made her feel better, the white lie wouldn't kill anyone.

Damn, she was kind of making him feel old though. Was he really giving scholastic advice, as if he were some old man? Julian glanced down at his un-gloved hand. Nope, not wrinkly yet... although he did need to go get a manicure.
Marie 12 years ago
"There is nothing wrong with a little obsession."

She didn't think so, it seemed like people who had obsessions and passionate goals came up with some wonderful things. A lot of the artists she'd read about had been obsessed as well. Certainly it could go terribly wrong but not always.

His idea of the instrument as a weapon elicited a giggle as she imagined people fencing with violins or wielding violas like axes. It was highly entertaining. She was a little shocked at how intense music could be. You should play because you loved it not because you won awards. Although, while both Ysabel and Ambrose were very good at their chosen instruments you could hear a difference in their playing.

"That is a lot of pressure for a kid, but it sounds really impressive."

Of course she had never seriously competed in anything so she couldn't really judge. Sure she'd competed a bit but it had been that intense.

His intense focus made Marie frown a bit. She didn't think that was right for her. She sure she needed to find some focus but but might be a bit much.

"I'll find a focus soon enough and you could always go back and look into other things if you wanted."

Realizing that didn't sound quite how she had intended it and Marie smiled a bit sheepishly by way of apology. She then promptly changed the subject.

"How do you know Alex and Eiryk then?"
Marie's comment on the pressure made Julian turn and shake his head.

"It wasn't so bad. I wanted to do it."

He frowned inwardly at Marie's next words. Had he come off as critical when he'd meant to be supportive? He certainly hadn't meant to. But the young woman changed the subject so Julian had the grace to let it happen.

He laughed at the memory of his meeting with Eiryk.

"I was visiting the Waterfront and Eiryk fell out of the sky and landed right behind me. He recognized me and we got to talking. Not much more to it than that. I didn't met Alexander until that night on the boat."

Julian tried to remember what he'd learned about the people he'd met that night. There hadn't been a ton of people but it had been a lot of information at once as he met everyone.

"He's Eiryk's boyfriend right? You work with him? They both seem like nice guys."
Marie 12 years ago
That made Marie laugh. She had no trouble at all imagining Eiryk quite literally falling out of the sky.

"You are lucky he didn't fall on you."

She had grown fond of her boss and friend's partner. For the most part she'd gotten over her fear of him, but that was more because of Alex than because of Eiryk.

"Alex has a store on the strip and I needed a part-time job. I got lucky. It is a lot better than working at the mall or something. But yes they are both very nice."

She was a little impressed Eiryk had recognized Julian. Marie wasn't sure she would have. Out of context like that it could be hard to place some one like that.

"I'm glad he recognized you though. It had to be a strange invitation though, to go out on a boat with a strange man who appeared out of no where."

Of course, Julian probably wasn't as timid as she was and Eiryk had a bit of charisma so it wasn't as strange as it might sound.
"That thought occurred to me too, he's pretty substantial."

Eiryk was pretty darn muscular. Come to think of it, Alex wasn't bad on the eyes either. Both of them obviously worked out.

"Ah nice," he said. "What sort of store is it? I know he told me. A camping place or something like that? And he teaches too."

Julian tried to remember details, he really did. For the most part he was usually successful. He did remember about Marie's college and that Eiryk was an interior decorator.

He laughed when Marie wondered about how they boat outing came to be.
"We got to talking and he invited me out. I don't know a whole lot of people in the city yet so it sounded like fun, once I realized he wasn't hitting on me."

Not that Julian had minded being hit on. He might not swing that way but positive attention was positive attention. Every once in a while he met a guy who simply wouldn't take 'no' ... or a girl. Those sorts of people drove him nuts.

"I'm glad I went. It was nice to get out."

Julian didn't go into detail; he hated being alone in his studio. He hated sleeping. Most of all he hated nightmares. He'd jumped at the chance for a night out and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Marie 12 years ago
"Roughing It." She named the store. "Camping, hiking, climbing, biking, out door stuff. I've learned a lot just working there. I might actually be able to survive in the wild for a day or two now. And he does yoga and ti chi classes too."

Marie said everything so earnestly and with quiet enthusiasm that she was even now acting as a sales person. But a very low pressure one.

She still thought it was brave of Julian to just accept an invitation like that especially alone and after one meeting. Yet at the same times she was considering asking Julian if he'd like to go riding or something. The thought was only half formed, but he was attractive and seemed nice and given his question about Alex and Eiryk she had assumed he was more interested in men. Which placed him in , or at least closer too, the 'safe' category.

So when he sounded like he was happy that Eiryk -wasn't- hitting on him Marie was confused. Either he liked girls or... possibly he had a boyfriend already. But he'd shown up to the little party alone. Marie nudged Julian a little bit further away from 'safe' and decided to reserve judgment.

"Are there symphony groupies?"

He was the one who had mentioned being hit on, so she was curious. There must be though, people always seemed to be attracted to talent and fame. There might not be tons of them, but they must exist.

"Maybe you'll be able to get out more in the off season. Assuming you don't tour or teach or something similar."
"Yeah right, that's it," Julian said when Marie corrected him about Alexander's business. "It's cool. It sounds like fun."

Marie's next question took him by surprise, but when he thought back on the conversation he could see why she'd asked it.

"Yeah, actually, there are," he said. "A lot of them are somewhat... older. I've been cougared a couple times."

Julian was surprised at how many, but yes, he'd attended benefits and dances and such both as a performer and a guest, and when his profession became known he generally received a decent amount of attention. More after he played than before; apparently the male violinist thing was halfway sexy. Take that, high school bullies!

That said, though, he wasn't usually a cougar kind of guy. Nothing wrong with an older woman, but Julian supposed he was looking for someone more his age. He didn't give it a lot of thought overall; he was focused on his career at the moment. A date would be nice though. A few dates. Hell, sex would be great.

Not with Marie, however. She was way too young. Julian didn't really see her in that light. She sort of made him feel older than his current 28 years. So he just enjoyed her company and talked to her some more.

"Yeah maybe. I have plenty of daylight time now, so I'm trying to make the most of it. It's good exercise, which I need."

He indicated his leg, sure that Marie hadn't missed his limp. She hadn't asked about it though. Some people did, some didn't. Julian had stopped worrying about it, for the most part. He was lucky he still had a leg.
Marie 12 years ago
Marie made a face. The idea sort of freaked her out. She wasn't much of a fan of older men. Julian was borderline. Not that she had any desire to ask him out and if were to ask her she'd be reluctant to go with him. She didn't mind talking with him though.

"I don't blame them. But it is sort of... freaky. It doesn't bother you?"

Although she did wonder just a little if some of the women, or men, that seemed to be about Julian's age, if they weren't considerably older. She and Ysabel looked to be the same age but nothing could be further than the truth.

She was a little curious about how they hit on him but didn't dare ask. That would be unseemly.

If he was exercising she assumed his limp was due to an injury of some sort. Maybe he would over come it then. She was tempted to ask about it but was still reluctant even though he had more or less opened the door.

"You're not worried about the snow and ice then? I'd be afraid of falling."

But she'd probably be out hiking or riding any way. Marie could be somewhat suborn about some things and she did like being outside. She'd absolutely hate to have her mobility limited and was rather proud of Julian for not letting himself be hindered by an injury.
Julian considered that. Did it bother him? "It used to when it first started happening," he said. "Over the years I got used to it though. It's no different from someone my age hitting on me. Thanks but no, and we go our own ways."

In his profession, love was a game. You didn't sleep with your admirers, and if they were older that wasn't actually what they all wanted anyway. They were attracted to stardom, no matter how minor or fleeting, and they really just wanted to be able to say they knew you. Flirt a little. Feel young again. Julian could handle that. There had been the odd one here or there that actually did want more than that but a polite no or three would generally set them straight.

The conversation drifted again and Marie asked whether he was afraid of falling. Julian was worried about the snow and ice but not for the reason Marie brought up... not entirely. That last fall, it was a bad one. He frowned down into the snow for a second but when he looked up there was a bright smile on his face.

"Nah, why worry? I fell down plenty when it happened. If I fall again I'll just wipe off the snow, hope not too many people saw me, and keep going."

Because it didn't bother him and would alleviate the need to seem rude by asking, Julian explained further.
"I was in a car accident a couple years ago. Messed up my whole left side." He didn't think she'd missed the scars on his face. They had been visible even in the dim light of Eiryk's boat when they'd met. "I had my hip replaced and I've got some metal in my leg still but otherwise everything's fine."

His cheerful tone gave no hint that there had been anything other than what he said. Julian didn't want to detail the rest of it. Most people he knew were content with the explanation he'd just given; rarely did they question him further.
Marie 12 years ago
Considering that Marie was any where between slightly uneasy and down right uncomfortable, when some one hit on her regardless of age Marie had a little bit of trouble relating to that. But she admired Julian for his confidence and how he was able to handle it. He must go out with one of these admirers, just once or twice here and there. He looked like a flesh and blood human not an ice statue. Marie figured he was just discreet and particular rather than a flashy man whore.

Marie was rather observant and sensitive to people's reactions. It had served her well when she'd run away and had to support herself on the streets. And it was something that Ysabel had encouraged and helped her with. So she didn't miss the little bit of a frown that passed over his features. Apparently, like Ambrose, this was a sensitive subject. But she returned his smile.

"Isn't it funny how easily pride can bruise with a little thing like a fall even if everyone has done it once or twice."

She made a little 'Oh' sounded as she looked down at her hands for a moment. Marie genuinely felt bad for him. She knew how badly a car accident could affect your life. But she would have rather had her family, even one member of it, with scars and metal in their leg. Still, she'd never dare say how lucky Julian was, you never knew how far the ramifications stretched.

"I'm sorry. My... family was in a bad accident a while ago. I'm glad they were able to do something about your leg though. Must make it hard to go through metal detectors at the airport though."

Really she didn't want to go too into the subject. Even though he seemed cheerful she didn't want to inadvertently upset Julian and she wasn't sure that she wanted to think about it much either.
Chuckling easily, Julian shook his head. "I don't mind falling," he repeated. "It's worth a fall if it reminds me I'm lucky I still have a leg." He considered. "Well, I have most of one. But I'm still walking and that's quite an achievement. They weren't sure I would. But you know, strong like bull."

He thumped himself on the chest, slipped on an icy patch, and barely recovered. It only made him laugh a little more.
"I prove my own point."

When Marie said her family was in an accident he sobered a little.
"I'm sorry. It's hell to go through something like that. In my case there was no one to blame but myself; I was driving in a snowstorm, lost control of the car, and went over a cliff face through a rusty guard rail."

No sense in going into the amount of counseling it had taken to keep him from becoming suicidally depressed with grief and guilt over the death of his sister. He still didn't like to think about it, yet conversely he thought about it all the time. That would take time, they all told him, and he needed to be patient. Julian could do that... he now knew that he really wasn't to blame.

"Oh, well, metal detectors are a lot of fun. I do have to explain it every time and once in a while they pat me down."

He rolled his eyes.
"Like I'm concealing a pistol in my patella or something."

He mimicked a hijacker, bending down to roll up his pants leg.
"Hold on a sec. Seriously... turn this plane around. I swear... as soon as I get this gun out of my knee.... someone's gonna get it."

Julian grinned. What was the sense of having a sense of humor if you didn't use it to laugh at yourself on occasion?