Hinky

"Can you get the door? No, the door. Cait - the door."

"Listen, I am drunker than I looks, alright!"

JT propped the still passed out LT against the door before finally just dropping him. Charlie came running down the hall with a key in his hand.

"I got it, I got it. I didn't know he started locking his door, too."

"Red has that affect on people, obviously," JT said wiping his face with his arm. He had lugged the two hundred and fourty pound Lieutenant all over the property, as quietly as he could, and was spent. A werewolf could only handle so much.

"See, how was I supposed to get the door?" Cait said flailing her arms.

"I'm sorry, I did not think that far ahead!" he yelped back, tugging on LT's arm and half dragging him through the now opened door into his apartment.

JT had never been in his apartment - there had never been any reason and it wasn't like the LT spent nights there very often. It was clean and organized like he knew it would be, but unused. Charlie took up LT's other arm and they easily dragged him into his bedroom and got him on his king sized bed. LT moaned and mumbled in his sleep, making him look like a sad little hobo to JT. So much so he chuckled a bit.

"Yeah he's not so intimidating when he's passed out drunk," Cait snickered.

Just then Lewis poked his head in sleepily and yawned at the entry door. "Hey. LT ok?"

Charlie held a finger up and walked out of the bedroom to talk to Lewis, leaving JT and Cait to look down at the Jameson. Cait did a curious thing then, walking over to LT's side and sitting down. She peered at his face with her slightly unfocused eyes and blinked, like she was trying to think of something.

"What's wrong?"

She shrugged and then turned to look at JT. "You heard what he said, right?"

"Which part?" JT struggled to remember. "You mean about Carol?"

"Yeah, I caught him with another girl. They weren't doing anything, not yet at least, but he was attempting to flirt with her. Then...."

"Did he come onto you?"

Cait's face winced. "Not exactly. I mean, a drunken pass is no big deal. I'm a big girl, but I get the feeling this isn't like him. Is it?"

JT shrugged. He honestly didn't know LT on a personal level at all. Their animosity had started from almost the very beginning.

"He and I don't get along well enough for me to know him past being an asshole."

Cait was silent for a moment and then began to laugh. It took her a few moments to get over the giggles, but when she did, she half grinned and looked back at LT.

"Well, I'm curious because I don't know what to attribute the personality change to directly. Is it the stress of his job, is it you and this Alpha thing?"

"It is pretty aggressive in nature. He sees me as a threat, even though I'm not, and he's protecting his position with aggression. Part of me wants to tear his fucking head off when he doesn't show me the respect my instincts think are due." JT paused and looked down at the LT. "It kind of sucks, to be honest."

"It could be that. He's pretty...I don't know, protective of Charlie in regards to me, but what friend wouldn't be. Granted his way of expressing it is extremely awkward."

"So he is coming onto you," JT said with finality. "Wait, what else could it be?"

Cait shrugged off his comment but addressed his question. "I saw the same thing at DI. The personality change, sexual aggression - it looks like the residual effects of Command."

"Well he is leadership, there is a certain amount of pressure-"

"No, not that type of command, I mean the vampire ability Command. Like he's trying to resist the suggestions giving by a vampire's Command."

JT was speechless. He walked up to Cait from the foot of the bed and then looked back at the bedroom door, listening for Charlie and Lewis. They were still out in the hallway. Kneeling down so Cait didn't have crain her neck at him, he quietly spoke to her.

"That's a leap, isn't it? That a vampire would be able to control one of us, especially an Alpha Piper officer?"

"What does his rank matter? I mean, it's farfetched. There are only so many ways a vampire could get to him. I've seen it in relationships. Is Carol a vampire?" she asked suddenly.

"Carol?" JT laughed. "No, she just turned 30, I think. I mean, her body is definitely holding up, but no, she's definitely not. How else could it happen?"

Cait was quiet for a few more moments and shrugged. "I have to look into it. I'm probably wrong - I don't know a whole lot about your kind."

"Neither do I."

She looked at him. "I don't understand. How could you not?"

"I'm barely a year into being one. I was gifted kind of late. LT was gifted at 14 I think, not long before Charlie. "

He tried to recall what he learned at Glenveagh from the Trainer Shayle Jameson. It was part of the induction process, learning the history of the families, their leadership personnel, and their histories.

"Jamesons are gifted a little later into puberty, like around 16, but Hammerthynns take the gift usually around 10. Directs grow up together to maintain that command role they inevitably stepped into. The Commander and the Beta grew up together, were gifted together, and are best friends. It's by nature and by design. What with the blood memory and all."

Cait listened to JT as he explained until he got to the last part, then she jumped at it. "Blood memory? What is that? Is that literal? A memory carried by their blood? Their...gifting?"

"We all have it. We're Pipers. It's what we are."

Caitlinn Conrad 12 years ago
Cait narrowed her eyes and tried to recall where she had heard that before. It was like a reflex almost for them. Charlie had said it, she remembered, when they were talking about Lewis and Dougie.

"That's the second time I've heard one of you say that."

"They really ingrain it during induction. Jameson and Hammerthynn descendants are Pipers, given the right attributes. It's what-"

"You are, yeah. You all have this memory?"

"From what I was told, yes."

"What is it?"

JT shrugged, looking like he couldn't quite explain it. "It's about Huntington and the female, Ellis Duban."

"Whoa, what? Charlie's never told me about that. What's the memory about?"

"That's the funny thing, no one really can say."

Cait's buzz was now fading quick. Looking back at LT, she saw his expression had completely relaxed and he looked, well kinda, adorable. There was no hard look or penetrating threat of sexual aggression creasing his forehead. His mouth was slightly opened, giving him that little four year old angel sleeping face that all mother's loved. That was Lothias Jameson, she decided. Sweet guy, charming and maybe a little shy - not the passive aggressive, dominating Alpha male with a chip on his shoulder.

"So you're telling me that there is a memory that your two families carry about the two leaders of one of the most notorious vampire clans in existence right now. That these two families are somehow working with Simon and Duibne Industries peacefully, despite this innate hate that no one can understand or explain, but blindly follow?"

"Yes," JT said simply.

"How-" she started but tried to rephrase her question. "What is that you feel around Simon?"

"I don't feel anything."

"Ok that makes no sense. You're a Jameson, aren't you?"

"I look at him and know he represents something in the memory, but I don't feel the hate they do. They have to reel in the instinct to rip his face off when they talk to him. I don't have that."

Cait's eyes narrowed at JT. What made JT different than the other Pipers? What was separating him now from the others, being unique in his genetic makeup that he could resist a vicious memory?

"It's because you're an Alpha and the first to be a Piper, right?"

JT raised his eyebrows like it had never occurred to him. "I guess you're right."

"Are you the only one that can resist the memory, I wonder?"

"No, I don't feel it either," Charlie said behind them. Lewis came up beside him and gave Cait a small smile. They had listened to her entire conversation with JT.

"I feel it, though," Lewis offered. "But not as intense as a direct or a newer wolf. You can control your reaction after some years, but even Marthinus couldn't stand it and he's Simon's grandson."

"But gifted from a direct, the Beta," Charlie finished.

Cait looked at all of them - their expression varying but not to the degree of surprise as she thought they'd have. It was Matthew that struck her odd. He was not surprised in the least.

"You know, it is just a theory," she said. "But baby, you're not a direct and you were gifted by one - why don't you have it?"

Charlie stepped up to the foot of LT's bed and stuck his hands in his jeans pockets. "I used to.

JT stood slowly and Cait looked back at him, seeing him process what Charlie had just said.

"Your recovery changed you, didn't it? You're faster, stronger than I remembered before, when I met you in Glenveagh. That explosion killed you and DI had to rebuild you from genetic mush. It changed you, didn't it?"

Charlie gave JT a hard look and then sighed. On LT's wall were various awards, accolades, and weapon pieces collected over the years. Charlie reached up and let his hand hover between two weapons - two very distinct daggers - then finally picked one after some thought. Holding it in his right hand, Charlie walked up to JT who took a step back away from him. JT flinched at the dagger and Cait peered at it, realizing that it was silver coated, causing the reaction from the Piper.

Charlie took the dagger and pierced his left hand completely through, making Cait cover her mouth and yelp. Then he pulled it out. Holding his hand up, he showed JT the wound and all four of them watched it close completely in seconds.

"JT, can you keep a secret?" Charlie asked quietly.
Lewis Kearney 12 years ago
Lewis recognized the dagger. Charlie had given it to LT years ago when they were still in South Africa. It was a local dagger dipped in silver, given to LT after a particularly nasty extraction. There was no worth in the weapon but it held a meaning that no other Piper would understand or knew.

"That's silver," Lewis told JT who looked at him with wide, scared eyes.

"You shouldn't have healed from that so quickly, right, Charlie?" Cait asked.

"Not at all," Lewis answered.

Charlie lowered his hand and put the dagger back after cleaning it. They all looked at JT who was trying to process what he had just seen. Finally the tall Piper wiped at his mouth and pointed to Charlie.

"Lewis, you've known all along, right?"

Lewis made a face and shrugged. Charlie answered for him. "He knew before I did."

Cait was looking at the ground, her eyes unfocused and in thought. Lewis had heard everything Cait and JT had talked about. LT's differences, his change in personality, especially the sexual aggression. He sighed and felt like he should be honest.

"I feel it too, sometimes."

Cait looked up at him. "Feel what?"

Lewis blushed and cleared his throat uncomfortably. "I dream about you sometimes, and Vivienne."

"What about?" Charlie asked. Lewis did not fail to hear the jealous inflection in his friend's voice.

"Sometimes," Lewis shrugged and looked down. "Sometimes I dream about Cait...that...way...but lately it's gotten...darker? I don't understand the dreams. It's not just her and Viv though, sometimes it's Carol. I don't want to hurt any of you."

"That's what you said LT said about Carol tonight."

Cait winced and stood. "Man, this is bad."

"I'm sorry, Cait. I'm sorry, Charlie. I didn't mean-"

Charlie held his hand up to Lewis and shook his head. "Lewis, it's alright. Really. We're good."

"But I don't have dreams like that. I've never had dreams of Vivienne and I know her the best out of all three of the girls," JT said confused.

"An Alpha has natural resistances to that type of suggestion. It's what makes you an Alpha," Charlie said.

"But if I'm having these dreams, these nightmares really, does that mean the other Pipers are, too?"

"Oh this is so bad," Cait said wiping at her eyes.

"Wait, who's doing it, then?" JT asked.

"I don't know," Lewis offered, "but maybe we should ask Simon?"

"For now we don't discuss this outside the four of us. JT, do we have your word?" Charlie asked pointing at JT.

"I'm all in. Anything you guys need from me."

Lewis smiled at JT. He liked him, he was a good man and an exceptional Piper. JT would make a fine Alpha for his pack someday.

"You know, there is something we can do now," Cait offered.

They looked at her as she looked at Charlie. Then she pointed to LT with a shrug toward Charlie.

"And how would that help?"

"What are you talking about?" JT asked.

Lewis understood immediately. LT lay sleeping in his drunken stupor and there was only one of them that could put that to use. "Cait wants Charlie to sleep walk in LT's dreams to see if he can find out anything - maybe even who is influencing LT."

"You can do that? How can you do that?" JT ran his fingers through his hair and freaked out. "Charlie, what else can you do?"

"He can go ethereal," Lewis said automatically.

"WHAT?" JT said, his voice rising. Both Charlie and Cait held their hands up and tried to calm JT.

"Either we tell him everything or there's no point, guys. Come on," Lewis said. He turned to JT and explained. "The Eternity/Starburst combination of drugs they gave Charlie over the six months he was in his coma somehow infused itself into his werewolf DNA. He can manifest vampire abilities, but I don't think he has a whole lot of control over them."

"Your speed and strength. You're faster and stronger now. That's why?"

Charlie shrugged, "Yes.

"And your regeneration? You can regen from silver wounds immediately, too."

Cait nodded and added, "There's a lot more he can do."

JT sat back down on LT's bed and held his head in his hands. "Ok, give me a minute."

Lewis stepped closer and gave Charlie an apologetic look to which Charlie put his hand on Lewis' shoulder, giving him a reassuring squeeze.

"This is so bad," Cait repeated again. "But I think you should do it, babe."

"Could you walk in mine, Charlie?"

Charlie looked at Lewis and shook his head but Lewis cut him off.

"I don't want to hurt anyone, but these dreams...you don't understand. We can't talk about certain things, but I feel like the dreams are getting stronger. I don't want to hurt Vivienne or Carol, and I don't want to hurt Cait. I couldn't do that to you, to LT or the Commander. I'm asking you, as a friend."
Charlie Hammond 12 years ago
Charlie took a deep breath and ran his hands over his mouth.

"Lewis you don't know what you're asking."

"Yes I do," he said simply.

"You saw what it did to Cait."

"What did it do her?" JT asked. "Wait, you did it to Caitlinn, too?"

Charlie winced and closed his eyes. "I'm not doing it to anyone."

"Cait what is he talking about? He did it to you...when we brought you here the first time?"

"I don't care, Charlie. Someone is in my head making me dream about," Lewis paused and looked ill, "horrible things. I thought I was losing my mind but now I understand."

"What are you all talking about?" JT said raising his voice, making LT stir. They all froze, looking at LT.

Charlie licked his lips and looked at Cait. Her expression said nothing but he felt her fear, anger, and humilation.

"Tell him," she said with finality.

With a deep breath, Charlie told JT.

"Yes I went into Caitlinn's dreams when she first got here, but I didn't know I was doing it. The ability is the easiest for me to control, but I haven't used it since. It...twists the person's mind and I could have killed her."

"Dougie just beat him to it," she said sitting back down on the bed slowly.

Charlie ran his fingers through his hair and tried to control the situation, but refused to meet JT's eyes. "I didn't know what I was doing."

"What were you dreaming about?"

Cait snorted, making him grin as well. Lewis cleared his throat and then they all looked at JT.

"Oh. Oh wow, really?" JT said, blushing.

"There were ramifications to it," Charlie said embarrassed.

"I bet," JT mumbled.

"No, not like that. I was falling in love with her, but I could have been influencing her through the dreams, making her feel something for me that wasn't there."

"Once I figured it out - there were clues like nosebleeds, headaches - I started to reject everything. I didn't even know if I was really in love with him."

"You just thought you were having dirty dreams?" JT asked.

"No, I don't remember my dreams. Well, I didn't used to. So after a night with him, I'd wake up with residual feelings that manifested itself into needing Charlie that just didn't add up for me. I went swimming with him, ran alone with him in the forest. I'd never in a million years do that with a stranger, definitely not with a man. My paranoia was intense, but I wanted to be alone with him. That's when I knew something hinky was going down."

"But, you love him, don't you?"

Charlie caught Cait's eyes and waited for her answer. She looked at him and then smiled. He felt her arousal and the warm blanket of adoration from her and he felt his own blush rise up his neck and into his face.

"She does," Charlie said softly.

"O...k," JT said awkwardly. "So dream walking isn't an option?"

"It can be," Cait offered, "because he only has to do it once."

"Then you three need to do this without me," Lewis said quietly.

"What, why?" Charlie asked.

"I'm affected by what's going on. How can I keep any secrets? Unless you come in here and...fix me, I can't help any of you."

"Lewis I don't even know if I 'can' fix you. I don't know what I'm looking for."

Cait snapped her fingers. "The thumb drive. Do you still have it?"

Charlie touched his jean pockets and then started to dig around his jacket. He pulled it out of the inside breast pocket. "I didn't have the chance to give it to Lewis."

Lewis shook his head. "You can't tell me what that is."

Cait walked up to Charlie and put her hands on his chest. "Baby, I wouldn't suggest this if I didn't think there was any other way, but...you're it." She looked over at Lewis as she took the thumb drive out of his hand. "This, I think, is the link to who's doing this all. We need to look at this."

"We can't here. Not on my main console. It's been unsecure since the Sewer incident."

Charlie's face winced in confusion. "What, why? What-"

Then Charlie remembered the conversation he and Lewis had about Caitlinn. When he realized Lewis had more secrets than people realized.

~

"Oh, I'm going backwards." Lewis changed the pattern on his keyboard and began writing code that Charlie, surprisingly enough, understood. Code was never his thing, not until after his accident. "What if she wasn't looking to take something? What if she was putting something there?"

"You think she hid what we think she was looking for?"

"Yeah, gimme a little bit on this. I'll tell you what I find." Suddenly he stopped and erased the code.

"What are you doing?"

Lewis folded his hands in his lap and looked down at them. "Trust me on this. I'll run the code and I'll get it to you."

Charlie raised his eyebrows and shrugged. "Are you-?" Lewis looked up at him. He was giving it to Charlie as straight as Lewis could he realized, so he let it go. "Just let me know, then."

~

"You have another parallel system, don't you?"

Lewis nodded. "I constructed it after the zombie incident a couple Halloween's ago. In case there was another catastrophe or something equally catastrophic like-"

"Don't say aliens, Matty," Charlie said with a sigh.

"Aliens...yes. It can happen!" Then Lewis cleared his throat and continued with a grumpy look. "Dougie hacked my system...that fucker."

Cait snorted and then covered her mouth. "I'm sorry, I've just never heard Matthew curse before."

"Then where did you run that code?"

Lewis was quiet for a few moments, looking down at the ground. Without looking up he said, "Promise you'll do this for me, Charlie."

"Matty...."

"Promise me and I'll tell you everything."

"Alright," Charlie said with a sigh. "I promise."

Lewis took a deep breath and then walked to the door, "Come on then. It'll be easier just to show you guys."
Lewis Kearney 12 years ago
The generator surged and one by one the fluorescent lights flicked on overhead. Lewis waited a moment before walking across the room and flipping the main circuit, powering all the electronic equipment in the room. A faint hum hung in the air, making the hair on his arms raise before settling into his mechanical dream.

"Please don't kill us, Matty," JT said softly.

Lewis rolled his eyes and turned back toward JT, Charlie, and Cait.
"Luck favors the prepared."

Charlie's mouth gaped open as he peered into Lewis' apocalyptic lair, moving toward the clothing shelves with the newest prototype of the dark blue Therian-weave was stacked. "How did...Matt, how'd you get this?"

"Oh uh...I know a guy," was all Lewis offered as he blushed. He shouldn't have that version of the suit. Clearing his throat, he pointed toward the east wing of the lair. "Uh, beds and living units are down that way. Up to thirty."

"Thirty?" JT yelped.

"The entire lair is encased in a faraday cage."

"Did you just call this a lair? He just called it a lair," Charlie mumbled.

Lewis pointed behind him,
"This is the parallel system to the core, running backups of the entire mainframe to avoid any information loss. I just upgraded those, actually. Behind this section is another wing-"

"Another wing?" JT yelped even louder.

Cait had been quiet since entering the lair. After they left LT to sleep off his alcohol infused sleep, she changed out of her pretty dress and into jeans and hoodie. Her eyes were wide as they looked around the room, walking to each section when Lewis pointed it out, silently observing. Finally she turned and flailed her arms, slapping them against her sides.

"This is the coolest fucking thing I have EVER seen! This is further down than the entry point, right? I felt the decline. We're not far from a water table, are we? How are you recycling the air? You're recycling the water, too, right?" Cait walked up to Lewis and grabbed his jacket, shaking him slightly as she bubbled with excitement.

"Seriously, Matthew, I think I love you."

Lewis felt his blush deepen, making his cheeks burn as Cait walked off again, looking at everything.
"Well, after the zombie thing - I just felt like this was necessary. The other IT Pipers have set up their own parallel systems, as well."

"And you did this all by yourself?"

Lewis thought a moment, rolling his eyes up to the ceiling and then nodded.
"Uh, yeah. Just me."

"Nerds will be our masters, choose yours now," JT said quietly.

"No one else knows about this?" Charlie asked.

"Red does."

The three of them turned and walked up to Lewis, making him flinch. "Red? Since when?" Charlie pushed.

"Since we figured out Dougie was the mole."

"And you both didn't tell anyone?" JT asked, shaking his head.

"Well we couldn't. It wouldn't let us. There was no way for us to tell anyone, so we did our best keeping an eye on him. There was only so much I could do once the Core left for Canada. I wasn't able to get away to here to run the code to see what Cait was doing, not efficiently at least, and in the end I think Dougie figured it out that I figured it out."

Cait pointed at Lewis' neck, "That's why he tried to kill you."

"I think Dougie tried to kill me because he just didn't like me," Lewis said thoughtfully, "but I think you're probably right."
Charlie Hammond 12 years ago
Charlie narrowed his eyes and looked around the lair. And it was a lair - a fully functional, self contained, water/sewage recycling, medical facility with its own power source and far enough down in the earth to avoid the after affects of a nuclear event. The Halloween event had happened in 2007, so in less than five years, Lewis had done all this, all by himself.

Cait was running from room to room, girlishly squealing at Lewis' ingenious setup, calling out whatever she found, remarking on both the coolness factor and survival aspects of each item.

Running out of the armory (yes, Lewis had a full armory), she hoisted another experimental weapon that Lewis should not even know about.

"What is this? It's so light!" Cait lifted the rifle sized weapon and pressed gently on the trigger, making the weapon whine electronically to life. Charlie immediately walked over and took it from her, powering it down.

"That's...I don't even know...Lewis, seriously? This just barely made it through R&D testing."

"There are like a dozen more back there!" Cait exclaimed.

Lewis stood near his main console, hands in his pockets and sheepish look on his lip pursed face. Raising his eyebrows, he shrugged at Charlie's questions.

"I see everything, Charlie. Everything. Some of it I don't get, like the notes you made on the extractor, but what I did get was pretty impressive, if not a little crazy with scientific theory and all."

Charlie blinked and then walked back to the armory, putting the weapon away. He tried not to look at the other weapons stacked back in this section and moved back to the main room.

"Alright, so are we doing this?" Cait asked pointing at Lewis. "He has a full medical facility back here, too. We can monitor you and Matthew during your dream walk-"

Charlie held his hands up and stopped her.
"I really don't want to do this."

"You said you would," Lewis said quickly.

"There are a few things we have to go over before you do, to avoid any type of accidental suggestions, but imagine what we could find?" Cait argued.

"I haven't done it since you, Cait. I didn't want to hurt you and I did."

"Yeah but now you know what you're doing," Lewis offered.

"No. I don't. I don't know how to use any of these abilities. They're random and sporadic. I could kill you or myself." They all stood there, staring at him. Waiting.

"Do you guys understand what you're asking me to do? Do any of you have an inkling how badly I don't want this? For things to just be the way they were before? It's not just the way the other Pipers look at me. I -feel- their confusion and fear when they look at me. I just want to be normal."

"Charlie, you're not. I'm sorry," Lewis said quietly. "You've always been different than the others. Better...than us. You're stronger, faster...smarter. How is that wrong? Why is that a bad thing? If you hadn't changed, none of us would be here. And you wouldn't have Cait. You'd still be in love with a woman you couldn't possibly have. How is any of what makes you special...wrong?"

Charlie looked at Lewis. Unexpectedly insightful and honest to a fault.
"Matty...."

"I've never asked you for anything, Charlie, and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for you. But I keep your secrets, help you with your work, and ask nothing in return. But I'm calling in a solid 'you owe me'. You do this for me or you're on your own." Lewis paused for a moment and then shrugged. "Ok that's not true. But if you don't do this for me...honestly, I don't see how you couldn't."

'Damn it,' Charlie mumbled and looked down at the ground. Running his fingers through his short hair, he looked up at Cait who was standing quietly, waiting for him to decide. She gave him a small smile.

Charlie's death in the sewers had robbed him of not only his memories, but his identity. Demoted, used by Simon and his vampires, loaned out as a washed up Piper by his own pack, and the self imposed isolation had brought him to this point, this very moment. His abilities made it possible to know just how removed he was from his friends, how they looked at him differently, regarded him with suspicion despite trying to act like nothing had happened. Then there was Vivienne. A woman he had so fervently loved with every fiber of his being and he had absolutely no memory of it. He felt the regret when she looked at him and could see the jealousy when Caitlinn was around. Vivienne had been there when he died and brought him back. His life around her was awkward and confusing, but in spite of it all, his death gave him Caitlinn.

She came up to him now and put her hands on his chest, smiling up at him. He knew she loved him despite what he was and felt that love warm him in the darkness of Lewis' lair. With a sigh, he looked at Lewis.

"Alright, Lewis. Let's do this then."

Lewis pointed over his shoulder as they all began to move. "Medical is this way."

"Oh my god, you have a medical wing?" JT said with a snort.

"Well, it's not very big," Lewis said shrugging.

Cait entwined her fingers with Charlie's as they followed Lewis further into the lair.

((All out))