Just Couldn't Resist (Attn: Alex)

Often, he was told, that he could be over enthusiastic about things. Just about anything really. But this time, it wasn't his fault. It might only be November but Eiryk had -finally- gotten a hold of the perfect Christmas present for Alex. Of course, as soon as he had it Eiryk couldn't wait to give it to his boyfriend. And now as as good a time as any, after all he wanted Alex to get as much use out of it as possible during the season.

Alex had gone out during the day for something. Honestly, Eiryk didn't know what but since he'd been out like a light it didn't really matter and it gave him time to fuss about how to do tonight.

[No. Damned it Thora, do not climb that.]

Eiryk said to their house pet as she tried, yet again to climb the Christmas Tree he'd set up. It wasn't a live tree, it was nice enough fake tree though. Thank god for greed and the obsession with the Christmas shopping season. He hadn't been sure he'd be able to get a tree before thanksgiving. The mistletoe, however, had been a challenge and Eiryk had been forced to settle for fake on that count too. But at least everything looked pretty and perfect.

A female fox slid out from under the branches and looked between the tree and Eiryk looking at both of them suspiciously.

[Not a tree Eiryk... but tree. Walk?]

Apparently they were going to have to explain about Christmas trees come December.

[Just for decoration. Just tonight. And you had a walk earlier.]

[Not a tree.]

She reiterated apparently irritated by the fake nature but ambled off to climb up something she was allowed on.

Deciding it was better to let the lady of the house have the last word Eiryk said nothing more but placed a -large- festively wrapped box under the 'not a tree' and went to check on dinner and the spiced mead. Dinner had been delivered by one of Nachton's most exclusive restaurants, Eiryk had learned his lesson about cooking for Alex and it was currently staying warm in the oven. Everything had already been plated even so all he had to do was set the dishes in front of them.

Rather than lay out everything on the dinning room table though, he had spread everything out picnic style in the living room so they could look at the tree as they ate and maybe watch a movie. One could almost forget that Christmas was over a month away. Now all he had to do was wait for Alex.

Alex Aristos 12 years ago
Alex returned home around the time Eiryk usually got up, maybe a little later. He always tried to be there when his partner woke up; usually he tried to climb into bed for a little while so he could hold Eiryk and wish him a good evening. He thought he was still on time until he unlocked the door to their new, larger, apartment and walked in to discover there was now an enormous Christmas tree in the living room... decorated in a fashion Alexander had only seen in department stores and Christmas movies, dripping with garlands and shimmering with glass icicles. A huge box sat under the tree.

"Eiryk? What the hell happened to the living room?"

Obviously, Christmas had happened but... really? Before Thanksgiving? He found Eiryk in the living room when he walked further in, sitting on the floor with the furniture cleared away and what looked like a picnic spread out.

Alex made a face. He hoped it was his confused face, and not his 'I just wet myself and I don't know why' face. Furrowing his brow at Eiryk he said,
"Hey, sexy. What's up? I thought we were going to decorate together... and in December."

Eiryk had a tendency to get overzealous about... well, anything, really. Alex wouldn't put it beyond him to get excited about the holiday season and do something about it earlier than planned. But without Alex? That part was the confusing bit, right there.

"Thora... is that a snow globe?"

The little fox appeared with something in her mouth that looked suspiciously not like her ball and a whole lot like the decoration in question.

"I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have that."
Eiryk 12 years ago
"I decorated."

Eiryk called cheerfully from the kitchen not caring that his answer was more than slightly obvious. Really he had intended to do something small and just semi seasonal but then... well it didn't matter.

Ignoring Alex's confused look Eiryk handed him a glass of spiced mead. Sure it was a little 1950s housewife of him but, well Eiryk loved it. The whole domestic bliss thing was really working for him and he didn't know why it just felt right.

"Oh we are. This is just for tonight. I thought it would be fun. Don't you like it?"

For just a second Eiryk wondered if he'd gone just a little too far. It worried him. But that didn't last too long as he was much more interested in giving Alex his present.

"I thought I'd.... No. Thora!"

His explanation stopped in midstream as Alex pointed out Thora and her new 'toy'. Christmas was going to be a challenge if this was any indication.

[Ball!]

[No, not a ball. It is decoration.]

[Not a tree, not a ball. Not fun.]

Well he didn't blame her. It was a bit of a drag not to be able to do anything with the decorations.

[Please give that to Alex and I promise we will find you something fun tomorrow.]

That was apparently an acceptable offer as Thora yipped happily and with a little dance dropped the snow globe at Alexander's feet.

"We are going to have a talk about acceptable toys young lady."

Blinking innocently Thora found a place to stretch out and look innocent. Being a bit of a soft touch rather than the stern dad Eiryk just grinned at her.

"Oh! I have dinner too. It is in the oven. It should keep for a bit if you want to have your drink first though."

Eiryk didn't know if Alex should open the box before or after dinner. He'd not made up his mind. So he decided to wait until his partner asked about it. Or after dinner. Or until he got to excited to keep the secret any longer. Which ever one of those came first.
Alex pulled off his sneakers and accepted the glass of warm spiced mead from Eiryk. It smelled Christmassy. It was hard not to feel a little bit of early spirit at the scent and taste. They'd had the same thing last Christmas, when Eiryk had stolen him away to that ridiculously posh little cabin in Vermont. He remembered sipping while sitting in the hot tub... oh yeah. He supposed early decorating was all right even if they had planned to do it together.

Alex watched with amusement as a battle of wills ensued, fox and vampire staring at each other. Thora finally sighed and placed the snow globe at Alexander's feet. He bent, picked it up, and set it gently upon an end table.

Alex considered the options before him.
"If it's in the oven already let's eat," he said. "Otherwise the food will get dry. Want some help?"

It would go faster if they could help themselves and then they could both enjoy what Eiryk had obviously taken great pains to prepare. For the moment, Alex ignored the elephant in the room however. There was the matter of the enormous box. Alex was clearly supposed to ask about it. He was pondering whether to immediately ask, or to wait. The question was, would Eiryk explode with excitement before they had dinner? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. He wouldn't make him wait too long.

Regardless of how that little bit played out Eiryk had obviously taken pains to do something nice for him tonight. Alex moved in close, mead in hand, and wrapped his empty arm around Eiryk's narrow waist. Bending a little he pressed a soft kiss to his boyfriend's lips.

"This is really pretty," he said, "thanks babe."

He held Eiryk tight for a moment, smiling. He was really lucky to have Eiryk. No one else could care for Alex any better.
Eiryk 12 years ago
"Just a little something. I thought it might be fun”

Eiryk mumbled before leaning in to kiss Alex again. It took a little creative stretching but he managed to set his mead down so he could wrap both arms around Alex's waist and pull his boyfriend close to kiss him properly

With a happy sigh he nuzzled at his boyfriend's neck absently wishing some one would wrap Alex up with a bow and put him under the tree. It would be a wonderful present to unwrap. But knowing that kind of thinking would absolutely dry out dinner, or possibly set off the smoke detectors, he stole one more quick kiss and started to the kitchen.

"No, no... I've got it. I didn't cook though I hope you don't...”

About then Eiryk encountered some turbulence and as he had not fastened his seat belt as the captain had suggested, he face planted right into their brand new hard wood floors. Eiryk was pleased to note they looked good even on close inspection, lay there for a second and slowly bounced back to his feet rubbing his nose. Nope not broken. It was going to snap one of these days, it had before and would again just not tonight. Thank goodness because nothing said romance like regeneration mending broken body parts.

"Or maybe I could use some help in the kitchen. But you don't have to -do- anything this is supposed to be a treat.”

At the word 'kitchen' Thora darted around two sets of legs and into the room in question obviously hoping for a treat.
Alexander smiled into Eiryk's kiss, surprised to see he merited abandoning the mead glass, however temporarily. Another kiss followed and as Eiryk teased at Alex's neck Alex reciprocated just a bit, biting down gently at Eiryk's. He let go of his boyfriend with a little sigh, but he didn't want a repeat of their first spectacular dinner incident.

Alex winced as Eiryk turned, headed for the kitchen, and immediately met the wood floor. He was over to his boyfriend in a heartbeat, helping him up and inspecting him closely for any severe damage. It seemed to be all right.

Alex smiled lovingly at Eiryk. What was it about his bouncy, clumsy demeanor that tugged at Alex like that? He bent and kissed Eiryk's forehead.

"I'll help. I like doing things together with you, not being served by you." Alex thought it only made it that much more special.

As they entered the kitchen with Thora close at heel Alex rolled his eyes at the little fox.
"You're going to get fat," he warned her, knowing she couldn't understand him anyway.

Nonetheless he reached into the bag of fox "chips," something they'd come up with after consulting a few veterinarians and the local pet stores... freeze dried grasshoppers. Opening the bag Alex took one out and tossed it for Thora. Then he turned to Eiryk and said,
"How about I get things out of the oven?"

A burn would heal quickly on Eiryk but Alex had seen his lover burned enough for one lifetime, and did not need to repeat the experience.
"We can carry them into the living room and eat there, was that the idea?"

He got out his oven mitts while he waited for Eiryk's response, his smile never fading. Any time with Eiryk was a treat. Alex hoped Eiryk knew he really did feel that way.
Eiryk 12 years ago
That was totally not playing fair. Alex knew he had... well issues when his neck was nibbled on. But at least they both had -some- will power. It probably helped that they were living together now. While Eiryk still couldn't get enough of Alex, there was no rush no fear that he'd go back to his place or something equally silly.

"Good. Because I'd hate to drop it all over you..."

And half to eat it off. Oh, wait he hadn't thought this through had he. Too late.

He laughed as Thora caught her treat and sat looking expectantly for another.

[One. You had dinner.]

She chose not to answer and instead concentrate on Alex. Apparently she had gotten it in her head that he was a soft touch.

"I thought it would be cozy." He said with an air of innocence, before frowning. "Besides I still don't have the dinning room quite right."

It was irritating him. Maybe he was going to have to give up the Federalist table, but Eiryk refused he loved that table. Of course if Alex had told him to chop it to kindling he would... well at least ask why. At any rate, he much preferred the idea of the romantic picnic on the floor around the cushions with the soft lights, feeding Alex caviar... and avoiding the shell fish.

He had been ecstatic to find the Scandinavian restaurant here in Nachton and the reviews he'd gotten were all raves, but he was not going to puff up this time.

Alex got things out of the oven, he might have ordered enough for three just to try a lot of different things, and he very carefully started helping to get them out to the living room asking Thora to behave for a while. She more or less agreed.

"I hope you like it. It isn't -quite- like mom used to make but there are similarities."

He loved to share with Alex and it had slowly occurred to Eiryk that his lover often shared via food. And as a result he'd learned a lot about Alex, his family, Greek food and many other things. Eiryk was rather excited to reciprocate in kind.

He was also -dying- for Alex to ask about the box. But, thus far, Eiryk was controlling himself.
Alex rolled his eyes at Thora's begging, not quite the softie she seemed to believe he was. He wasn't giving her any more chips. One was enough. Especially when either he or Eiryk would have to brush leg segments out of her teeth before bed that night.

He let Eiryk talk while he removed dish after dish from the oven, shaking his head with a smile when Eiryk insisted he wasn't done decorating. Alex didn't care how their home was decorated; he gave Eiryk input when his partner wanted it but otherwise he left it alone. They made it a home in their own way. Alex preferred cooking and cleaning, Eiryk liked arranging and decorating. They complimented each other in that way.

The food smelled wonderful. Alex saw a mix of seafood and land food, also a small amount of shellfish which he was assuming was meant for him; he wasn't about to let Eiryk forget himself and give himself another allergy attack. It appeared to be only a few small dishes. There was a lot of food here but he didn't comment; Eiryk wanted things to be special and perfect and had gone to great lengths obviously, and besides it would all make fantastic leftovers.

As they settled in the living room with their feast Alex smiled at Eiryk.
"I'm surprised you found a restaurant with Nordic food." Then he reconsidered. "Well okay, maybe it's not so uncommon here in Nachton."

He sampled an oyster with something he recognized as sea urchin, which he had never actually tried. It was good. The shellfish had a smoky flavor and a little bit of spice to it, offset by the creamy texture of the sea urchin.
"This is delicious," he said with some surprise.

Picking up a little slice of bread with melted cheese on it he bit into it. Then he chuckled at the familiar taste.
"So... the Swedes invented grilled cheese?"
Eiryk 12 years ago
"No, no... it is unusual just about any where."

Eiryk turned his attention back to the mead he'd left in the living room and thought about that for a second.

"Except back home, except there they just call it food."

Eiryk grinned broadly at that old, bad, joke. He was just pleased to be able to use it.

He watched, a little envious as Alex tried the oyster and sea urchin. They were quite tasty. But he'd unintentionally upset Alex by forgetting his allergy once before. Eiryk wouldn't willingly do that again.

Fixing a bite of the caviar he offered it to Alex while grinning at the question.

"As a matter of fact we did. Some one left some cheese out doors in the middle of winter. So when it was finally discovered it was frozen solid. We learned that you could place the frozen cheese between slices of bread and toast it all up. Thus we are responsible for the ultimate comfort food."

Helping himself to a bite of something tasty, fresh and fishy and smoky Eiryk considered his story for a second or two.

"And fondue."
Alex laughed at Eiryk's joke, bad as it was, and took the bite of caviar Eiryk offered him. It burst upon his tongue, salty and fishy, a good taste but one he could stand to not overindulge in. Caviar wasn't his favorite. It was tasty in limited measure. Alexander had never understood how people could eat mouthful after mouthful of the stuff.

He nodded at Eiryk's grilled cheese story. True or not it was amusing. Alex was pretty sure just about every culture would claim to have invented grilled cheese. Hell, the Greeks were notorious for eating cheese toasted on flatbread over a fire. He wasn't going to contradict Eiryk, however. There had to be grilled cheese stories everywhere.

"Fondue?" Now that one, he might contest. "Isn't it the national dish of Switzerland?"

Alex could swear he'd read somewhere that fondue was definitely Swiss. He didn't, however, have Eiryk's firsthand experience. Sometimes, talking to vampires was a living history lesson. Well... most times. Alex wondered what would happen if you got several culturally diverse vampires in the same room and asked them to decide who invented grilled cheese.

Then again maybe it was best not to experiment that way.
Eiryk 12 years ago
"That is their story."

Eiryk said as he helped himself to some herring enjoying the familiar flavor with a creamy cheese and brown butter. If he wasn't careful he'd start licking his lips in a moment. Although that didn't necessarily put Alex off as they had proven before.

"What I would tell you is that we brought the concept of fondue to them."

As to the 'how' Eiryk was going to politely decline to answer that. Switzerland was rather land locked and hard to raid, at least from a viking point of view. In fact, well he'd have to check a few history books but it seemed to Eiryk that every one had had similar problems with that country.

"If you'll give me a minute and a little more mead I can explain how we are also responsible for Mexican food, pyramids, vineyards in France and all of Ireland."

That was the beauty of a raiding... er... nomadic culture you could claim just about anything was your idea. Vikings and Scandinavia in general were responsible for any number of ideas and little cultural quirks, but not nearly the scope that he was claiming. Still Eiryk was maintaining a perfect poker face just one the off side that Alex might believe him.

Although, he probably wouldn't.
Alexander listened to Eiryk with raised eyebrows as the stories got more and more fantastic. He realized Eiryk was just having fun so he played along as he sampled the various dishes his boyfriend had brought them.

"Let me guess," he said, with a smile of his own. "Fondue. You decided to go for a little hike one day so you all picked up your boats and lugged them cross-country to Switzerland for a raid. While you were pillaging, someone knocked over some cheese into a pot and then torched it. It melted, someone else stuck an impaled kidney or something into it, and the Swiss totally ran away with it."

He popped a piece of meat into his mouth and chewed, enjoying a slightly vinegar flavor.
"Am I right?"

The next claims of Viking inventions were even better.

"All right, your turn," Alex said. "Enlighten me. Tell me how you were responsible for Ireland. And, have you explained it to Rowan yet?"

Alex was pretty sure Eiryk's long-time friend would dearly love to know that Eiryk's people were responsible for his country in its entirety.
Eiryk 12 years ago
Eiryk cocked his head thinking about Alex's version of history. It was actually better than his. This kind of creativity was not his strong suit.

"Yes. That sounds about right. Great culinary discoveries are often accidental. And of course we are a very giving people."

That last part might have been said with a bit of innuendo and a touch of a leer. Eiryk considered the last time he'd bitten Alex. It had been a few weeks. The very thought of that extra closeness, that sharing was enough to make him want to forget the box and forget dinner and tackle his partner right on the spot.

It took a second but he dragged his mind out of the gutter and just leaned back as she smiled lazily.

"Rue doesn't believe half of what I tell him. But let's face it... the Irish propaganda machine is incredible even their own people don't know what is true and what isn't."

Reaching for another bite of something Eiryk had picked up an oyster without thinking about it. He, however, had just been inspired regarding Ireland's origins and did not immediately eat it.

"Red heads. The Celts didn't have a lot of blonds and no red heads. We showed up raided a few villages, some of us though it was a decent spot to settle down and thanks to genetics all of a sudden you get this massive influx of red heads thanks to our blond good looks. Helps with the 'elfin' features and blue eyes too. "

That sounded good, even too him. Maybe totally unbelievable but... well there it was and he had science to back it up!
Alexander felt his face flush a little at Eiryk's obvious innuendo and mood. He wasn't about to say no to his boyfriend for any reason. They did seem to be on the same wavelength, though; Eiryk had that hungry look, that look that said he actually was hungry. Or thirsty, more to the point. It made Alex feel warm with anticipation. He loved when Eiryk bit him and wished he could be his partner's sole provider but it just wasn't feasible.

"I knew he was a smart man, although I would have credited him for being clever enough not even to believe half of what you say."

Alex noted the bite of food Eiryk had just picked up, although his boyfriend hesitated before actually eating it. Reaching out Alex gently grabbed Eiryk's wrist and drew his hand toward his own mouth, taking care of the oyster before it could truly put a damper on their evening.

"Red heads do not define Ireland," Alex argued, laughing at Eiryk's outrageous story.

Dinner progressed into dessert and Alex found it convenient to eat more of whatever Eiryk picked up, as well as feeding his boyfriend in return. The atmosphere was festive and fun and Alex couldn't help remembering last Christmas in the little Vermont cabin, opening presents. Making love under the tree... and in the hot tub. It was his fondest memory, the whole weekend, of all the fond memories Eiryk had given him.

When they had finally stuffed themselves Alex leaned back, resting his head in Eiryk's lap and looking up at his partner with a smile.
"That was a really good dinner. Thanks."
Eiryk 12 years ago
"He's a good friend and he humors me..."

Eiryk said dismissively. He went from startled to sheepish as he 'fed' Alex that oyster. No matter his good intentions centuries of not really worrying about somethings was a hard habit to over come. It made him wall warm and fuzzy that Alex looked out for him. Some people might assume that he was a vampire and pretty hard to hurt and not worry about it, but not Alex. Alex took care of him and how could you not love him for that?

They argued and bantered through the rest of the meal, to the point that Eiryk actually forgot why he'd set up the tree and put this 'to do' all together. What he knew was that they were sprawled under a Christmas tree with colored lights giving off a warm and gentle glow and he had Alex in his lap.

His glass of mead was empty, but Eiryk didn't even feel like getting up to fix that. Instead he just lazily ran his fingers through Alex's hair and absently looking forward to Christmas. The real thing, not this trail run. He'd liked the real thing last year more than just about any other holiday season he'd been a part of, ever.

"You feed me often enough. I thought I should return the favor. Besides, you needed a treat."

Of course, if it were up to him, Eiryk would have made sure Alex had everything he ever wanted every day of his life. Fortunately his boyfriend was far smarter about these things than he was.
"I can't believe you guys have been friends for a thousand years," Alex mused. "Not even a scuffle? A minor tiff? A falling out?"

He could actually believe it of both men; neither Eiryk nor Rowan was the sort to take offense easily. And While Alex had seen Eiryk angered to the point of near violence, it had taken a lotto get him there and it had been in defense of Alexander. Alex clearly didn't know Rowan as intimately but from what he did know, he could see the redhead being just as difficult to rouse, in spite of the obvious Irish jokes that sprang to mind.

Alex loved lying there with Eiryk, basking in the early holiday mood. Normally he'd have had something snarky to say about the fact that it wasn't even Thanksgiving yet but he wasn't feeling the snark at the moment. Just the enjoyment of being full and comfortable and very well-loved.

"Not really often enough," he murmured, turning onto his side so he could wrap his arms around Eiryk's waist. "But as often as I can."

The idea of a treat was nice, but Alex had everything he wanted right here. He pressed his cheek against Eiryk's stomach, sighing at the feel of delightfully rock-hard abs, and squeezed Eiryk to him in a hug. "I have a treat," he said with a smile. "He's right here."

He did open his eyes though, and look up at Eiryk.
"Would this have anything to do with the enormous box under the tree, however?"
Eiryk 12 years ago
"Oh I'm sure there have been minor disagreements here and there, moments of competition and such."

He just couldn't think of one off the top of his head. To the best of Eiryk's recollection most of their spats had been more along the lines of friendly disagreement than anything. Rue, after all as a very agreeable sort, low maintenance and even tempered. It made him easy to get on with and quite likable, all in all a very good friend to have for a few centuries. Of course, he could see things through rose colored glasses when he wanted so...

Eiryk did his best to limit his feeding from anyone but Alex. But the fact of the matter was that he needed to eat more often that Alex could safely provide. He had, however, become a lot more matter of fact about his hunting, he didn't dally with his donors or establish relationships. Without really noticing that he'd changed his tactic he'd also started to limit the times he 'seduced' his donors. All for Alex of course.

With his arms happily wrapped around his partner Eiryk grinned.

"I'll bet you say that to all the boys."

He teased. And it was just that, teasing he didn't doubt Alex at all. Although ever once in a while he thought about beating someone way from his boyfriend with a stick, but that was different.

When Alex -finally- said something about the box Eiryk did his best to remain cool, calm and indifferent. It might not have worked.

"It might. You could open it and find out, it does have your name on it after all."

Inside the box was a small model of where they'd spent Christmas last year as well as the deed to the place, which he'd had put in both their names. Eiryk's first thought was to just give it to Alex alone but he wasn't sure if that would be appropriate at all, so he'd compromised.

He might also have placed both of those things inside a box inside of the box inside of another box, all wrapped of course.
Alex shook his head in disbelief. Honestly though, if anyone could get along well for that long Alex would bet money on Eiryk and Rowan. He'd never met two people more people-friendly. "Competition, huh? Who has the bigger... boat?"

Alex knew Eiryk and Rowan had a history that was not strictly platonic. That fact had sort of worried him at first, especially given the fact that Rowan, like Eiryk, was, frankly, gorgeous. Alex felt a bit mouse-like in comparison. His looks were just all right; his redeeming physical feature being the fact that yoga and tai chi kept him in pretty good shape.

He snuggled against Eiryk, enjoying the strong arms that were wrapped around him. Worming his way up toward Eiryk's chest a bit he rubbed his nose on Eiryk's soft shirt and then gently bit into the muscle on his left side. His eyes slid up to Eiryk's face as he playfully pressed down with his teeth just a bit. He finally released Eiryk and grinned at the teasing he received.

"Sure," he agreed. "I say it to all of my casual boyfriends. I have... hm. None. Just the one very, very serious one."

He punctuated his words with a soft kiss on Eiryk's mead-sweetened lips. He did not miss the change in Eiryk's demeanor when he mentioned the box. Eiryk was immediately more alert... perky, almost, at the thought. Whatever he had in there he really wanted Alex to see.

Alex didn't go for the box immediately. He pulled himself upright and straddled Eiryk's lap. Draping his arms over Eiryk's shoulders he gently bit at Eiryk's neck, sucking lightly before pulling away and pressing another kiss to his partner's lips.

"I'd rather have my name on this," he said with an impish grin, "but okay. I can open the box."

He moved away from Eiryk and somersaulted himself over to the tree, coming up sitting next to the beastly huge box. Carefully and very slowly, Alex pulled the paper off, trying not to rip it. There was every possibly his slow meticulous unwrapping would drive Eiryk nuts, and he couldn't resist the urge to tease back, in his own way.

Inside the box was a large amount of tissue... and another box. Alex hummed to himself, very off-key, as he painstakingly opened that one. Inside that was... yet another box. With a little smile Alex set to work on that one too, wadding some of the tissue up into a ball and tossing it across the room for Thora to chase.

Finally he found something in the last box, concealed under the tissue. With a puzzled expression he pulled it out. It was a model. Really cute, a little house. Then he realized what it was. It wasn't just any house. It was the little cabin from last year's vacation. Every little detail was perfect; the light cherry wood paneling, the screened in back porch with its television, the pool, the gorgeous hot tub. Alex looked at Eiryk in confusion, and then looked back into the box. Reaching in he drew out the paper that was under the model.

As he took it in, it dawned on him exactly what this was. It was a deed of ownership, to the little cabin. In Eiryk's name... and in his. Carefully, Alex set the model aside and pressed his hand to his chest over his heart.

"Oh my God."

He swallowed hard. Eiryk had bought it? For them. He couldn't bring himself to speak for a moment. Okay, several moments. He glanced at the model and then down at the deed. In this little cabin they had made love to each other under the tree. They had stayed late in bed; they'd exchanged gifts. He'd told Eiryk details about his family life he'd never really thought he'd discussed with anyone. And they had said 'I love you' for the very first time.

It was quite possibly the most romantic gift anyone had ever been given in the history of the world. Well, Alex was willing to believe that from where he sat right at that moment. He couldn't even chastise Eiryk for spending so much money on such an extravagant expense, because it was perfect. When he looked up at Eiryk his cheeks were wet.

"Eiryk... I don't know what to say."

He set the deed aside and then, on his hands and knees, crossed back over to Eiryk. Settling down on his knees he raised his hands to Eiryk's face and drew his boyfriend close. Alex rested his forehead against Eiryk's and closed his eyes.

"Thank you."

With that, he once again wrapped his arms around Eiryk, laid his cheek on Eiryk's shoulder, and burst into tears.
Eiryk 12 years ago
"Something like that."

Eiryk said with a faint smile. He'd worried just a tiny bit about Alex finding out that he and Rue had been known to keep company now and then. But that was a while ago and from the look of things it wouldn't be an issue any time in the near future.

It was a very good thing Eiryk didn't need to do much in the way of breathing. Alex was making that difficult right now. He shivered a little as Alex playfully bit him. And as he returned Alex's kiss he might have been just a bit more aggressive than strictly necessary. No doubt Alex noticed the fangs already. Eiryk was pathetically easy, but he didn't care.

"Mmmmmm... and that one is starting to think he is being seduced."

Pulling Alex too him and kissing him again Eiryk bent Alex backwards, as always impressed with the flexibility of his partner. It really was impressive, and useful. -Very- useful. More than that though Eiryk loved the playful happy mood Alex was in.

"I'm pretty sure your name is all over me. Tattooed. Branded. And otherwise quite permanent."

He was all over the 'till death do us part' thing. Hell Eiryk had picked out rings, he just hadn't quite gotten around to following Rue's advice and talking to Alex about the idea. He would though, soon. There wasn't ever going to be any one else.

Eiryk half lunged after Alex who had agilely flipped off his lap leaving him rather wanting. Instead he had to be satisfied with watching as his boyfriend unwrapped the box. With agonizing slowness. Eiryk put up with the first one without saying a word. But when Alex chose to repeat the process he groaned and when he did it a third time Eiryk looked for something to throw.

"You had better reuse all this paper you know."

If he was going to suffer like this Alex had better at least reuse the paper, otherwise it was just cruel.

Thora came out of no where and pounced on the wadded up tissue paper. She cheerfully batted it about and chased after it with all the joy of a child playing with the box the day after Christmas.

For a second Eiryk was quite worried. When Alex clutched at his chest he wondered if he'd given his partner a heart attack. What did you do for a heart attack?

Slowly Eiryk realized that Alex wasn't dying just a little, or a lot, surprised. That was more or less the reaction he'd hopped for and smiled so big, fangs and all, that he thought he'd split his face. This one day Christmas was all worth it, just for that.

With their foreheads touching Eiryk thought that his heart just might burst. He didn't know what to say either, so he did the sensible thing and said nothing at all. He didn't quite mean to but he chuckled a little feeling Alex's tears through his shirt and held Alex all the closer for it.

"I wanted you... us to have it. I didn't want to share it with anyone else."

Nope that Christmas vacation was beyond special and Eiryk wanted to preserved. Just for them. Oh they might have friends or guests come up to stay with them but no more random people. It wasn't going to be shared with strangers any more.
Alex both felt and heard Eiryk's laugh. He laughed too, even though he was crying. Squeezing his eyes shut he only clung closer and let the tears flow, a wide grin on his face.

"I don't want to share it either," he admitted, doing his best to pull himself together, sniffling a little, and just giving another watery laugh. "Eiryk, it's the best thing in the world. I can't believe you bought it. You really bought it!"

He pushed himself upright again, dashed his hand quickly across his eyes, and smiled at Eiryk.
"When... when can we go? Did you want to spend Christmas there again?"

His breath caught in his throat.
"I just can't believe it. It's amazing."

He remembered back to the trip, at the start, when Eiryk hadn't even told him where they were going. First class flight to Vermont where a chauffeur had driven them in a limo to the resort... it had been a series of firsts for Alex, which was maybe what had made it even more magical, more surreal.

"How did you ever get them to sell it? What about the land around it? Is it still considered part of the resort?"

His excitement made all the questions bubble up and out. Alex simply could not believe they owned the little chateau. And it was theirs, Eiryk's and his. There was such a sense of permanence to it. Alex had known for some time that Eiryk was the person he wanted to spend his life with, but this sort of confirmed that in its way.

Sure, it was a little unsettling knowing his boyfriend wouldn't, couldn't, grow old with him. He still didn't know how he felt about a youthful, handsome Eiryk helping him climb stairs and mashing up his food for him or whatever. Maybe it was best not to think about that right now, though. Alex was going to enjoy the time he had with Eiryk, and make it worth every second for his vampire. Because, really, when all was said and done it was poor Eiryk who would be alone again with just memories of a few short decades of Alex's youth.

Alex sighed against Eiryk's chest and laughed softly again. Eiryk was full of surprises. Who knew a chance meeting could turn into something so wonderful?
Eiryk 12 years ago
Honestly Eiryk couldn't quite believe they'd sold it to him. Maybe it had something to do with threatening to by the whole resort or possibly with the price tag he'd finally put on the place, either way it was theirs now.

"Of course I did. And you say the word and we'll go. Every weekend if you want, spring, summer, fall, winter doesn't matter. But I thought Christmas for sure."

If he had to Eiryk would get a small private plane to make sure they could get there quickly and easily when ever the mood struck. But he'd worry about that later.

"It is sort of like the Vatican." Eiryk tried to explain but it was an odd real estate deal even for him. "We own it and about an acre around it but the resort still takes care of the maintenance and we still get room service and house keeping and all the amenities that come with it."

That was covered under what was sort of like HOA fees. And probably that is why they parted with the cabin. Those amenity fees were paid monthly no matter how often he and Alex were there and regardless of how much they used. But, to Eiryk any way, they weren't outrageous and it was a small price to pay.

"Best of both worlds really."

The other catch was that if they ever sold they had to offer it to the resort first. But Eiryk wasn't going to be selling the place any time soon.

He was making absolutely no effort to remove Alex from him.

"So you really like it? You don't mind getting your present," One of them Eiryk added silently to himself, "early?"

Of course Alex liked it there was no way on earth that a person could possibly fake that reaction. Knowing he'd made Alex happy... well it was a huge feeling. It almost hurt, but it was the best kind of hurt.