Trick or Treat

Rowan pulled his little Prius up to the front of the Piazza and let the valet have the keys. Normally he'd have parked it himself but tonight they were running late. He blamed Cris. Well. Really, he ought to blame himself but it was easier to blame Cris, who, frankly, looked hot in a tux. He looked hot every other night too but the tux... Rowan was weak, what could he say. Yes, he'd kind of sort of, well, ravished his boyfriend before they left. To be fair, however, he was pretty sure he'd been ravished in return. So thoroughly that he'd forgotten his talking points for his speech and had had to turn around and go back to Liefde to get them.

He gave a quick tug on the sleeves of his tux and brushed his hands down the front. He'd dressed in his best for this occasion, Armani, a sleek number with a deep green vest and tie. The benefit was Halloween-themed, but it wasn't a costume party. It was a black tie occasion, at several hundred dollars a plate. Rowan, as the main speaker for the Children's Hospital, had not been required to pay for his seat or for Cris's. That had made him unhappy but he'd found other ways to donate for the cause.

As they made their way into the lobby of the Piazza Rowan slipped his arm around Cris's waist and bent close.
"Thanks for coming with me," he said, smiling. The last few nights had been particularly enjoyable. He was still warm from celebrating Cris's birthday, their way, a few nights past.

"I'm really happy you're here," he said.

He'd told Cris before they'd come that he hadn't really talked about his private life with any of his co-workers. Rowan had mostly kept them in the dark, not for any particular reason other than that he didn't usually make free and open with his personal life. Therefore, he was pretty sure a great many of the people he knew would probably be surprised to discover his date was another man. He doubted anyone would particularly care. Well, they might care but it was only because he worked with a lot of women. And, well, they tended to think certain things about the one male pediatrician on staff. Like what a nice guy he was. A nice single guy. A nice, single, marriageable guy.

The grand ballroom was decorated in theme. Not traditional black and orange but green and purple. Spider webs, floating bats, all sorts of Halloween icons graced the space above the many tables around the large dance floor. The windows were covered with a black background that sparkled with a LED display of colored twinkling stars. The room itself was dimly lit. Upon each table was a small cauldron as a centerpiece, greenish mist spilling from each one to roll across the table onto the floor.

One of the hosts took their tickets and glanced at them. "Right this way please, sirs."

They were led down onto the floor and to one of the tables toward the front of the venue near the stage that had been set up. There was currently a band playing on it; later there would be a performance by the Children's Choir. And several speeches, as well as Rowan's presentation.

Around the edges of the large room were all kinds of traditional Halloween party games. The attendees had been encouraged to bring their children, and the kids were all dressed in costume. Anyone could play games but they were clearly meant to entertain the kids. There was a full staff assigned to childcare so the adults could enjoy the party and listen to the speeches while their kids had fun.

As they made their way to their table he did not drop his arm from around Cris's waist. He did want everyone to know exactly who he was here with. Rowan wished his seat hadn't been assigned, but that was part of the price he paid for... not paying a price. He was supposed to sit with some of the more high profile guests so that he could address their questions. Fortunately Lynn was there as well; Rowan would at least have some opportunity to enjoy himself with Cris before the night was over.
Rowan fully intended to get his face painted before the night was out.

((ooc: This thread is open to anyone who wants to join; feel free to take turns RPing within your own conversations if you do. This is NOT a formal event thread. It will not count as a bonus thread and has no pre-arranged end date.))

Christian Bern 12 years ago
Cris was still not certain about meeting Rowan's coworkers. They were doctors, nurses and important patrons who might not like their favorite pediatrician bringing his slender young boyfriend to the event. He had considered not shaving for a few days in order to have enough stubble to perhaps look just a bit older but then he would look scruffy and that wouldn't work either. Perhaps he should have grown a goatee. He could be 'Evil Bern'...or maybe he was really the evil one and with a goatee he would be the 'Good Bern'. It was important to him that Rowan's coworkers not get the wrong impression and not have any cause to worry about his lover's taste in boyish looking young men. His redhead had quickly nixed the idea of him going in disguise and was very adamant about him being himself.

So here he was. Cris made extra sure that the deep charcoal grey tuxedo fit him properly. He didn't want it to look like he was wearing his father's suit. The cut of the tail coat accentuated his slender frame. He had it open for the moment but it still made a graceful line down the front, narrowing at the waist and flaring gently until it ended at mid thigh. The coat and pants were paired with a black satin vest and a dark grey, almost black, silk cravat knotted like a tie but fluffed more where it was tucked into the closed vest.

Rowan did not seem to be concerned; in fact, his partner was smiling. Some of the tension eased from his shoulders as his lover slid an arm around his waist and pulled him close. Cris smiled up at his redhead and his words.

"I am happy and proud to be here with you, Rue." He wrapped his arm around his partner's waist and joined him through the entrance. Leaning closer, Cris said. "Are you sure I couldn't bring the sword?" His lover had given him a beautiful saber for his birthday as one of his gifts. With lapis and rose gold it was a lovely thing but quick and deadly as well. "You know...just in case they do not laugh at the appropriate times in your speech." Cris slid his eyes sideways and grinned at Rowan. "I want to be supportive."

In truth, he wanted to make his boyfriend proud to be with him and make a good impression on the people that Rowan spent so much of his time with each day. He had no doubt that his being at Rowan's side was going to break a few hearts and he would like them to at least think that he was a partner worthy of Rowan's affection. The sword at his hip would have at least made him feel more comfortable. It was a shame this had not been a costume party; if it had been then Cris might have found a way to bring the weapon. As it was, he was stuck with nothing more than a pocket knife and his charming personality.

The pocket knife might be more useful.
Rowan Murphy 12 years ago
Rowan loved having Cris by his side. He couldn't be happier to be accompanied to this function by the person he cared most about in the world. He knew Cris wasn't entirely comfortable in this situation and it meant everything to him that he'd consented to come as himself rather than in disguise. But Rowan wanted his co-workers to know Cris.. the real Cris, not one of his many faces, and Cris's agreement was something he cherished.

He leaned down with a soft laugh when Cris asked about the sword.
"Quite sure, love," he said softly. "I think we'll be all right without it."

He dropped a quick kiss to Cris's temple.
"I can't imagine anyone more supportive. Thank you for coming with me."

Employing some of the subtle sleight of hand that had come in handy in his youth Rowan discreetly slipped his hand into the pocket of Cris's jacket. When he withdrew it it was without the room key-card he'd been holding. He patted it in its new home in Cris's pocket and returned his hand to where it had been resting on Cris's hip.
"For later," he murmured low into Cris's ear, "and if you need an escape."

It was one of the plushier rooms at the Piazza; Rowan thought it might be nice to have an area to themselves. That way if they drank, or grew tired, or as he'd said to Cris, just wanted to get away from the crowd, they had a quick convenient spot with privacy guaranteed. Rowan was not counting out 'unbelievably horny' from the list of reasons to get away, either.

He held Cris's chair for him before they seated themselves at the table, which was already full. Lynn greeted them with a smile, showing absolutely no surprise at Rowan's chosen date. He hadn't expected her to; above all, Lynn's job required a great deal of diplomacy.

"Good evening, I'm sorry we were a little late," he said, seating himself at the table. "I was so nervous about giving a presentation I actually forgot my cards at home."

He smiled a little sheepishly, giving a little shrug and employing as much charm as possible. He didn't think they were terribly late; there had been one or two other couples also trickling in.

"Lynn, this is my partner Christian Bern. Cris, this is Lynn The Boss." Rowan had referred to her as such before, in conversation with her as well.

Lynn held her hand out to Cris. "It's nice to meet you, Christian," she said with a smile that was genuinely warm.

A round of introductions was made. As Rowan had been informed they were seated with several executives from large businesses in Nachton and one particularly charming woman whose son Rowan actually knew, as he was a fellow doctor. The woman, Lily Stafford-Hammerthynn, was well known in Nachton for being the face of the Stafford Foundation as well as a wealthy heiress. Rowan knew his job was to make a good impression on the folks sitting here, as their potential contributions could help make the oncology ward a much closer reality for the children's hospital.

Truth be told, he'd rather be sitting at one of the other tables. He'd noted several of his own staff on their way through the crowd including Becky and her young son Jamie. Later, he hoped they could sneak away. He was pretty sure they could; after all, Rowan's job was also to mingle and be sociable and friendly to everyone. It was part of his Department Head position after all.

"So Lynn, did you bring Liddy and Matt?"

Lynn had two school-age children who Rowan had met once or twice in passing. They were pretty good kids.

"Oh yes," Lynn said, "They're around here somewhere. Liddy is a fairy tonight, and Matt wanted to be an alien... I'm sure they're up to no good, wherever they are."

The childcare staff were employed by the hospital as well, so the kids were in good hands with people they knew. Even now groups of children could be seen going from stand to stand, playing games, laughing, doing Halloween things.

"So have you two been together long?" Lynn asked, turning to Cris for an answer. "Rowan likes to keep us all guessing."
Her words were friendly, conversational. Rowan didn't expect prejudice from Lynn, or really from that many of his co-workers. Frankly, he didn't care either.

Beneath the draped tablecloth Rowan rested his hand discreetly upon Cris's knee and squeezed gently. He was smiling; he'd known they would be answering many questions of this nature, although he should have known Lynn would go straight to Cris. She would try to make him feel included, accepted. She was a good person, a good boss.
"If you are sure." Cris regarded Rowan with a skeptic expression. He personally hated giving speeches despite having done so very often, perhaps it was because men were often going to live or die shortly thereafter that made them so difficult. It was never simply a question of looking a little awkward or not telling the right story in his line of work.

Cris looked over his partner very carefully. Rowan seemed to be very confident, if he was nervous at all then he was hiding it well, even from an empath.

He smiled at the gentle kiss and then gave his boyfriend another incredulous look. "I would not want to be anywhere else." Cris answered softly.

Rowan's hand touched his pocket and Cris's gaze flickered down to it for a moment before returning his attention to the people milling about the room. Which were happy to be here, which were drunk, which were bored.... It was a habit to look for potential threats and he could not stop himself from seeing things as security would be seeing them. His wandering gaze met the guard posted near the door who happened to be looking in his direction. Their eyes met and Cris could see suspicion in both the expression and aura. He gave the man a smile and a nod and moved his attention elsewhere. From the corner of his eye, he could tell that he had not alleviated the man's concern but neither had he raised any further alarm. Good, the security personnel was paying attention and seemed to be well trained. His own behavior must seem rather odd when he was out of uniform; he was paying too much attention to the other guests and his eyes located all the exits and potential threats in the room. Cris knew that he appeared to be someone who was more alert than the rest, possibly a hired body guard but either way, to security, he was still a potential problem. He could handle being the subject of repeated attention and where he was, Rowan was likely to be also. The security man might even have mentioned him to the others in the hotel via his earpiece. Cris would be quite pleased if he had; they could all help him guard his beloved for the evening.

His partner patted his side and, where Rowan pressed the jacket against his leg, Cris could feel a small light rectangle. His companion made it clear the purpose of the exchange with his words. It was a room key; his lover was thoughtful, as always. Cris smiled up at Rowan. [There could be throngs of thousands. So long as you are with me then here is where I want to be...but if you should chance to want to be somewhere more private later. I would be overjoyed to be there with you also.] More than overjoyed, ecstatic. "Thank you, Love." [ We will have to do our best to make full use of it while you have it.]

They appeared to have arrived at the designated table as Rowan steered them toward a particular one near the front. As they got closer he could read the little name cards placed on the vacant seats which confirmed that these were, indeed, theirs.

He took a seat with a smile of thanks to his partner and waited for Rowan to take his own. His companion smoothly lied about his reason for being late and Cris had to wonder if anyone could possibly believe his confident partner could ever be nervous. It was a perfectly reasonable excuse and one that no one at the table appeared to question. Personally, he preferred the real reason they arrived a bit late but it would not be appropriate to explain that one.

[Was that why your hands were underneath my shirt earlier? You were clinging to me for support? My Dear Beloved, you should have told me you were nervous. I would kissed your fears away...] As he recalled there had been plenty of kissing anyway but he would happily take any excuse to touch Rowan some more.

His partner began the introductions and Cris listened carefully, watching with equal attention to the expression and aura of the people that he was being introduced to. Most everyone seemed genuinely nice and a few seemed genuinely interested. One or two seemed surprised briefly as they sat down together but that sentiment disappeared and the emotions at the table stayed much as they had been before they arrived.

"It is a pleasure to meet all of you. I have heard many stories of Rowan's work place but most of them involve the latest cartoons the kids are watching and which superhero he pretended to be today." He smiled over at his companion fondly. Cris loved to hear all about his lover's day, especially the stories of the children. He had heard plenty about his coworkers as well but he also sent to Rowan quite often, sometimes it was as if he had a rolling commentary on life at the hospital through his redhead's eyes. That was exactly how he liked it but it would be very difficult to explain and he did not care to divulge that information.

Smiling at Lynn's question, he answered. "I met Rowan back in March, not long after he arrived in Nachton." On that very night if the truth be told. "We live in the same building so he could not escape my notice." Cris was sure they would understand what drew him to Rowan. His partner was amazing, selfless, confident, funny.... the list went on and on in his mind. As a coworker, Lynn would have surely seen those traits as well. He did not further supply the where or how though both pieces of information were innocent enough; Rowan could offer them if he wished.

Cris slid a hand down to cover the one on his knee and gave it a return squeeze before curling his fingers around Rowan's longer ones.
The sight of Cris smiling up at him dazzled Rowan, as it always did. He had such a beautiful smile, reserved just for Rowan, it seemed sometimes. The sending in his head had been missed for the few minutes of 'radio silence' he'd experienced on the short walk into the Piazza. He was delighted to have Cris back where he belonged; arms around each others' waists; mellow, soothing tenor in his head; constantly aware of each other regardless of where they were looking or walking.

[Well then we have an accord,] he sent to Cris, smiling back into those vivid pools of blue, [because I only want to be with you. I do think that some privacy will be in order later, for sure. I hope you don't mind, I packed some of our things in a bag in the trunk of the car. The valet said he'd deliver it to our room for later.]

He had figured they would want a shower and to not return to Liefde still in their tuxes the following evening. Not to mention there were other... items of interest... they might find amusing later on. As they took their seats at the table and introductions began, Rowan hid a grin at the next sending. [You did make good headway. Figuratively and literally, lover. I think I feel another case of butterflies coming on though. I might require some intervention beforehand. You know, just to make sure my nerves are calm before my speech.]

It was said in fun, of course. Public speech bothered Rowan not one bit. He enjoyed being the center of attention, and being the guest speaker meant all eyes and ears would be on him for the duration of his presentation. He hadn't written anything long; just enough to give an overview of their goal for this event and include a little education about the disease they were attempting to combat. He was planning to soak up every second of it, however.

Cris seemed to integrate into the conversation with no trouble; Rowan was worried that his partner would have a decent time but Cris showed no signs of discomfort as he responded to Lynn's question. He resolved to spend every moment he could attending to his lover, however, a task made easier by the fact that they could communicate without anyone else knowing. Over the months they'd been together Rowan had become expert at maintaining multiple conversations without giving away the one happening in his head. That aside, though, he was sure he'd have to separate from Cris at some point this evening but if he did, he would make sure it would be for as short a time as possible.

As Cris's fingers curled around his own Rowan smiled and leaned in toward Cris some. He nodded at the short story of their meeting.
"It's amazing how often you can run into someone even when they live fifteen floors away from you. Of course, I might have arranged one or two of those. I'm not ashamed to admit it."

He also wasn't ashamed to tell lie after lie in front of his co-workers. As far as he was concerned they didn't need all the details. Rowan smiled at Cris once more and gave a little shrug at his 'confession.'

"Well I'm very glad you came tonight," Lynn said to Cris. The waiter came by just then with several baskets of warm rolls with crunchy, flaky crusts. There was already water on the table but Rowan and Cris were asked if they wanted anything else to drink. Rowan ordered a glass of the cabernet sauvignon that was on the wine list in the center of the table and then waited to see if Cris wanted anything.

Once the waiter had left, one of the men at the table turned to Rowan and said, "I can't help but observe, Dr. Murphy, you seem somewhat young for your position at the hospital."

Rowan thought he was one of the executives of one of the larger Nachton businesses but couldn't recall his position at the moment, just his name. The inquiry seemed politely interested, not hostile or challenging, although neither standpoint would have bothered him. He smiled and shrugged, remembering the details on his forged resume.

"Yes Mr. Donaldson, I imagine I am, but the hospital had a vacancy that needed to be filled. I'm simply the interim department head until Lynn can find a replacement, but I'm glad to be able to speak for this cause. It's something I feel pretty strongly about the need for."

Mr. Donaldson nodded, seemingly pleased by Rowan's modesty. This was how the discussion went for the next few minutes, with the folks at the table growing more and more comfortable throwing question after question out at Rowan and occasionally at Lynn. Rowan kept his hand tucked comfortably into Cris's beneath the table with the exception of when they were occupied with eating.
[I do not mind.] How could he possibly mind? Rowan was being thoughtful and romantic but practical as well. Cris could not ask for anything more. The thought of there being a private space just for the two of them was compelling. The knowledge of all the little piece of plastic in his pocket promised made him very aware of it. He felt as if it might burn a hole through his expensive suit.

Rowan continued with his farce of nervousness within the sending and Cris fought a brief battle to keep a smile from creeping onto his face at the wrong moment. Luckily he had years of experience mastering his expression long before he met his redhead; those skills had served him very well since Rowan came into his life. [Is that so? I cannot have you anxious before your public performance, not when there is something I can do to help.] Cris squeezed the hand in his own and added. [I am sure we can excuse ourselves before you have to speak and see what we can do to calm your nerves. I wonder, do you think they will notice your rumpled suit and disheveled appearance if we do some 'deep breathing exercises' in a bathroom stall?]

His boyfriend added his own response to how they met, adding that he had engineered one or two of their meetings. "I do not know whether to be touched or hurt, Rowan." Cris smiled and looked over at his partner. "Are you telling me that the 3 am knock on my door to borrow a cup of sugar was just a rouse?" He shook his head and feigned shock. "Incorrigible."

He leaned back and ordered a nice glass of a Donelan Syrah from the waiter. It seemed appropriate for the cooler weather with its blend of fruit and earth, savory and balanced. All they needed now was some snow, a crackling fire and some privacy. As those things would not happen for a while yet, Cris resolved to just enjoy the wine.

Falling silent when another occupant of the table implied that Rowan was too young for his position, he gave his lover's hand a gentle squeeze and listened to the response his partner gave. He waited until the exchange was over before silently offering his 'aid'. [I could go back and get the sword. Its not too late.]

He munched quietly on a roll while he listened to the questions that both Rowan and Lynn answered. Cris was happy to not be in the hot seat for once and noted with mild amusement that his companion seemed to enjoy it a lot more than he did. Perhaps he could convince Rowan to do all his security meetings for him as well.

Clearly he was not completely off the hook. Mr. Donaldson had not forgotten about him. The man turned to him and asked. "So, Mr Bern, Are you a Doctor as well?"

Cris shook his head. "No, not at all."
Rowan smiled at the fact that Cris was all right with his having been so presumptuous as to arrange an impromptu little mini-vacation for them. Sure, it was just for an evening (well, he'd booked the room through the following night since they couldn't very well check out mid-day tomorrow) but he knew Cris had his own work to worry about. He couldn't help it, though. A little escape would be nice and it did promise to be luxurious and a little over the top. He'd seen the room already when he'd booked it last week. It was elegant and incredibly lush. There was a large balcony with a private pool on it as well, which Rowan was particularly looking forward to making use of after the dinner was done with. There was no one on the planet he'd rather share it with (sorry Henri, I don't love you that way).

Their silent exchange continued and Rowan sent Cris a little wash of love with a miniature glamour. He wasn't nervous but if he had been his partner's easy conversation and flirting would have distracted him quite nicely. It was doing the trick already as far as the distraction was concerned. [I think that would be helpful,] he said, trying to maintain a forlorn air through their private sending. [It would be ever so helpful. I doubt anyone will notice. They'll be too busy looking at the slides that go along with the presentation.]

Out loud, he said,
"I would go with 'touched,'" he said somewhat pleadingly to Cris. "I don't even cook. You can have your sugar back now."

He flashed a grin at his partner as one or two of their fellow diners laughed. Rowan did not mind looking silly a bit. He would have done just about anything for Cris's attention now. He was glad he didn't have to, sure, but that didn't mean he wouldn't if it came to it.

As they waited for their wine and Cris sent to him again Rowan bit back a grin. [We'll use swords of a different sort,] he said, [though next time we do this I will find some way to manage to work a sword in. I feel as if I'm depriving you of some fun.]

The idea of Cris holding a fat businessman at bay at the point of the deadly saber was amusing to him. He couldn't help but laugh at the notion softly. The spot light did finally come back around to Cris, who answered Mr. Donaldson's question but gave no further information.

"Christian manages Security for the whole of Meridian Enterprises," Rowan filled in. He didn't need to say more; these were businessmen who understood exactly how high profile a company Meridian was. It dwarfed any of those run by the men at this table, which was perhaps why Cris hadn't mentioned it. In fact several pairs of eyebrows went up at the admission and Rowan felt momentarily sorry for calling more attention to his partner than previously. He squeezed Cris's hand in return; the question would have come up eventually and there was no point in lying.

Their wine was delivered and Rowan sipped at his, enjoying the earthy taste of it, somewhat reminiscent of old leather and dark inn rooms in a quaint little tavern. It reminded him of France, of the German countryside, of rustic Ireland. He wondered if Mr. Donaldson would question his credentials if he knew the 'young pediatrician' was rocking twelve centuries like a pro.

The questions continued to fly as soups and salads were delivered. Rowan found himself answering questions about oncology that weren't necessarily in his line of work but he'd prepared for that. Oncology wasn't one of his sub-fields but he'd read up for this.

The questions died down a bit when the band stopped playing and the host, the Hospital Director, a portly man in his mid sixties, announced the Children's Choir. Rowan leaned back in his chair with a sigh, hopeful that after this performance they might have a few minutes between courses to get up and walk around some. The function lasted several hours; it would be filled with speeches and performances but the meal would be spread out over the course of the evening.

He had dropped Cris's hand while sampling the various foods on the table; now he sought it out again, feeling somewhat deprived without it.
Cris smiled at the glamour that washed over him and the excuse that was made for their hypothetical therapy session in the bathroom. Out loud he chuckled at Rowan's response to his fake sugar borrowing and said. "Bring it over and we will make something together." [Probably a mess]

Rowan sent about the sword and he replied. [Don't worry. I am still armed.] Cris's lips twitched in a faint smile. [But the sword is more fun.] He missed the days of melee combat. Firearms were efficient but very impersonal; he wondered how many fewer people would be killed each year if people had to do it by hacking and slashing face to face with their intended target. Of course, there were other ways to kill people, even in earlier times, a stab to the back, a poison in a drink, an arrow through the heart, but it still seemed more personal somehow. More thought went into it, at the very least.

His companion further explained his job to the table. There were murmurs at the name of Meridian. Mrs. Donaldson asked why Meridian was not here at this charity function. Cris smiled and explained that they were here and nodded toward another table. "Mrs. Sentwali is here representing the company." He had been keeping an eye on her as well. It was part of his job; although he doubted that she was in any danger.

One of the people mentioned their computer program that was seen in the lobby and throughout the Towers. Cris nodded while accepting his drink from the waiter. "Yes, MARI is quite helpful. She regulates much of the building's functions and is also the face of our computer system." In fact MARI was the computer system but there was no point in explaining that. He was not a professional programmer and did not understand MARI well enough to explain her adequately to strangers. Her true nature was not something that the company freely divulged anyway. "If you are in the Towers and need to know something then you can simply speak her name and ask your question. She will likely have a ready answer available for you."

He took a sip of his drink and another squeeze of Rowan's hand as he saw the first course being set down in front of them. The doctors and businessmen all seemed fascinated by the talking computer and for a moment the conversation continued on about MARI instead of Oncology.

"So she sees everything that goes on in the building? Don't you find that creepy?" One of the men said while completely ignoring his salad. "I wouldn't want some computer watching me all the time."

Cris set his fork down and finished his first bite of salad before answering. "She sees through the security cameras that are found throughout the building. You would expect a company like Meridian to have security cameras in its headquarters would you not?" The man nodded somewhat reluctantly. "It is no more than that." Just that MARI had a lot more 'security' cameras than an average building but he felt that was an unnecessary piece of information to share at the table. "You do not expect to go to even a Walmart or an ATM without being watched by some electronic eye. This is hardly different." Except that MARI was ever vigilant and intelligent enough to make determinations on people's behavior without the need of a human's outside observation. That was also not necessary to mention. "She has been of great help on many occasions. For instance, when Mary in accounting fell on the fourth floor it was MARI who alerted the medical team to come help her." She also notified security when one of the people in research was carrying a concealed weapon or when the twins went to the roof for their suicide pact. Cris thought it would be counterproductive to explain MARI's interest in unusual human behavior and how much of that she brought to his attention. He found the AI to be a very useful ally in keeping his buildings safe and trouble free.

"What do you think of MARI, Rowan?" There was no need to explain that they both lived in the Towers . His partner was likely to have encountered the AI while visiting him at his place of business. Cris took another bite of his salad and then took a long swallow of the excellent deep purple wine. He savored it and not being in the spotlight for the moment.
"It's a date," Rowan said, beaming at Cris. Silently, hiding his more mischievous grin, he responded, [I can think of a few things I'd love to lick it off of. Three guesses, and they're all on you.]

The next comment nearly made him swallow too much wine. [Yes, I had ample time for exploration... or have you forgotten? I could easily remind you.]

His hand dropped to Cris's knee, briefly sliding up, his fingertips just brushing the inside of Cris's thigh before he began to behave himself again. Internally, Rowan sighed. How were they ever to go out in public if this kept happening? He was still selfish about his partner, wanting him all to himself.

Rowan was given adequate time to stew in his own possessiveness as the center of attention shifted to Cris and his partner answered several questions regarding MARI with grace and poise. And no small amount of glossing over of facts, he realized. Cris was downplaying MARI's full functionality... and, he realized, her humanity too. Rowan thought the AI was spectacular. He still flirted with her every chance he got although she had lately taken to dryly informing him that Cris might have something to say about it if she took him up on his offer of dinner out.

Rowan wasn't entirely sure if that was MARI's invention, or if Cris had somehow fed her that line. He found it hilarious either way, so he supposed it didn't matter.

He didn't see any reason to divulge MARI's full nature either, so when Cris asked him his opinion of the AI Rowan smiled, lifted his shoulders and said,
"It's a very useful tool. The amount of interactive capability is incredible. Very realistic. It would be incredible to have some equivalent computer at the hospital."

He did his best to pull attention away from Cris, who certainly didn't deserve to be hammered with questions although it was bound to happen when Rowan had divulged his profession. Rowan tried to redirect their fellow diners' attention, however, a feat that was made much, much easier when the Children's Choir took the stage after the Director's short introduction.

While the high wispy voice of child singers filled the room both Rowan and Cris were free to enjoy a nice chunk of uninterrupted wine-and-dine time.
"Excellent" Cris listened to Rowan's further suggestions with amusement. [Cooking Naked with Cris. I could have my own television show. You can be my assistant and we can be sure to get sugar and cookie mix everywhere...for later.]

He held very still as Rowan's hand moved up his thigh in 'reminder' of the exploration of earlier. Cris didn't even breath as he concentrated on the warmth of that touch and the feel of it through the thin layer of material between them. When his lover stopped he let his breath out in a long quiet sigh, part in disappointment and part in relief. [If you keep that up then you will have to excuse yourself from the table and quickly find that private space. I might get embarrassingly touchy in front of your coworkers.]

Rowan praised the AI with publicly acceptable words and suggested they add a similar feature for the hospital. "One like her might be indeed very helpful. If she had some added medical programs for monitoring patients based on visual and sound cues then she might catch things that are missed by the staff because they went on while no one was around to observe it. Perhaps she could even help with waiting room priority suggestions. It would take a lot of programming and the help of some technologically savvy doctors but it is an interesting idea." He was neither a doctor or a programmer, at least not of the magnitude of MARI, but it was a neat idea. Perhaps they could talk to Mrs.Sentwali about such a possibility while they were wandering around later in the evening.

The Children's Choir was beautiful and charming at the same time. He loved their Halloween flavored song choices. They were currently singing "Something Wicked this Way Comes." One of the young singers thought of himself as an actor as well because he made scary/scared faces throughout the song until one of his other choir mates elbowed him in the ribs. Cris quietly chuckled at the whole scene while he finished his salad and settled back with his wine and Rowan's hand tucked comfortably in his lap.
Rowan grinned at Cris, happy for any excuse to spend time with his partner. Hell, they lived together and couldn't see enough of each other as it was. [I hate to break it to you, dear one, but your show is doomed for failure. It will have a viewership of one and there might be several mysterious power outages right before its time slot.]

He'd be tarred and feathered before he let anyone else see his Cris naked for any reason. Possessive much, Rowan? [That sort of show would drive people crazy, men and women alike. You'd be mobbed in the streets. Television is not prepared for that much raw sexiness.]

He heard Cris's incredibly soft sigh as he removed his hand and his lips twitched up at the incoming threat or warning, whichever it was. They were incorrigible, both of them. And Rowan didn't mind one bit. [That room key is valid whenever you want it, love. Although I sure hope the elevator is empty.]

Yep, he wanted Cris again already. No point in denying that. His evening was going to be spent with his stomach tied up in knots, not from nerves or performance anxiety or any such thing, but from the closeness of that which he desired and could not have. Life was unfair sometimes. Rowan wondered if Lynn had any idea what an imposition his new job was. Even in his innermost thoughts he was joking; he wasn't that selfish as to actually mean those sentiments, but deep down inside, well... maybe not even so deep down inside... he'd rather have had this night to spend alone with his partner. Oh well. It would make later on that evening all the more enjoyable.

"That would be interesting, yes," said one of the other women at the table at the suggestion of adapting the AI for hospital use. "Make sure to invite me to that benefit, too."

That drew a laugh from most of the table's occupants, although Rowan noticed Lynn looked thoughtful. He caught her eye and smiled at her and she gave him a sheepish little shrug back... work, work, work, Lynn, his expression said.

As if to demonstrate that there was more than work to do tonight Rowan happily listened to the choir while keeping his hand in Cris's. Rather than linking his fingers with his partner's he spent most of the songs using the tips of his fingers to lightly stroke the palm of Cris's hand, tracing little lines and circles upon it with loving detail.

When the choir finally finished the crowd gathered in the ballroom applauded. They were informed that there would be fifteen minutes or so until the next course was served, and the band took the stage once more to play a few songs. The dance floor filled up and the occupants of their table stood, prepared to mingle, or dance, or visit the games for a few minutes. Rowan did link his fingers into Cris's at that point, standing himself and smiling at his partner.

"A few minutes of freedom," he said softly. He could mingle politely as they moved to wherever they wanted to go. "Was there anything in particular you wanted to do?"

He glanced toward the dance floor, and then his eyes wandered over toward the tables his co-workers had been sitting at. A number of them were still there.
"I'd like to introduce you to some of the nurses and a few other doctors at some point, if you don't mind," he said, "but it doesn't have to be now. We've got all evening."
Cris listened to his lover explain to him how he would be sabotaging his burgeoning television career by making sure none of the footage ever aired. It was all, apparently, for the good of society who was, according to Rowan, not capable of handling sexiness of his magnitude. Cris refrained from arching an eyebrow in his partner's direction. [Indeed, with great power comes great responsibility.] He reached for his wine glass and took a sip. [ I shall have to remember to use my nakedness wisely.]

[ ...any suggestions?]

Rowan reminded him about the room key that he had not for a moment forgotten. [I am aware but someone here has to give a speech soon.] He could torment his partner before such time but that seemed more cruel than fun so Cris would do his best to keep his teasing to a minimum.

The idea for a system like MARI (perhaps not as complex) for the hospital was discussed a bit further and seemed to be considered potentially useful. He thought Meridian would be happy to oblige them with such an endeavor and if it worked well for one hospital then they would soon be putting similar systems in more. Cris was convinced that such a computer would save lives. MARI had done plenty to keep the people of the Towers safe and she was not even monitoring a hospital. He talked to her each morning about the members of his team, who seemed tired, who seemed distracted, who appeared sick and each evening as well. Those reports alone led to him picking the right men for dangerous jobs as they came up and that not only potentially saved the lives of his personnel but also the people they might have been protecting, escorting, questioning, etc... The uses of such a complex program were endless; next might be police stations and then who knows what.

The Choir was wonderful and he enjoyed their performance. He also enjoyed the hand caressing his under the table. The entertainment came to an end and an interlude in the dinner began so that dishes could be cleared away by the catering staff.

He stood with his partner and looked up into Rowan's smile. Cris considered what he wanted to do before he answered his companion's question. In truth, he would love to disappear for the fifteen minutes and find some private place to enjoy Rowan's company but that was hardly very social. The dancing would be just enough contact to make him want more so perhaps that was not the wisest of choices.

"Let us meet these notorious people you tell me so much about." Cris removed his hand from Rowan's long enough to tug on the ends of his jacket and smooth down the front of it, much as he had once done to a uniform so many years ago. Then he reached for his partner's hand again, trying not to looked like a determined soldier going into battle. He found a smile for Rowan, a thing that was always easy to do.

"Some of them might leave early and then we will have missed them."
Rowan sent Cris a low, soft moan of approval. [Lots of suggestions, my own,] he replied, in a somewhat pained tone, [but none I can elaborate on now or else I won't be presentable in the next thirty seconds.] Just considering Cris naked was enough to make him take a few deep calming breaths. Great power, indeed. At least over him.

He sighed as it seemed that, as usual, Cris was on the same page as he was. [I don't want to behave,] he sent mournfully. [I want to take back my old job and drag you upstairs and monopolize you, and be monopolized. Well. All things in time, hmm?]

He could be patient. He just didn't really want to.

As Cris stood and considered their options Rowan looked down at his partner, unable to restrain his smile for anything. He was so happy Cris had consented to come with him tonight. His partner looked gorgeous but beyond that his support was precious. Rowan was thrilled to have Cris anywhere he went.

As Cris straightened his already-straight jacket and slipped his hand back into Rowan's Rowan leaned close and dropped a soft kiss on Cris's lips.
"They don't bite, love," he said when Cris decided on meeting Rowan's co-workers.

He dropped Cris's hand and instead slipped his arm around his lover's slim waist, hugging him close for a moment. He leaned down once more, whispered,
"Love you," softly into Cris's ear and pulled away once more but not before gently kissing the fair skin below Cris's ear lobe.

He steered his partner toward the two tables his own co-workers had commandeered for themselves. They weren't completely full; a couple of them were up dancing or entertaining themselves, but it looked as if not all of the seats had been taken to begin with.

They were welcomed with smiles and friendly faces; Rowan got along well with everyone he worked with. More than well, he supposed, if you took into account that almost all of them were women and a decent percentage of those women saw him as incredibly.... eligible. Not so much now, he supposed.

"Dr. Murphy, sit down!" The invitation, from Becky, was met with echoes of agreement and requests for an introduction from the rest of the people at the table.

Rowan held an empty chair for Cris and then sat down with him. He angled himself so he could talk to both tables at once, and conveniently so that he was close enough to keep his arm around Cris.

"I'm glad you have empty seats," he said with a grin. "It's nice to be sitting a little outside of the spotlights."

Granted he was okay with spotlights, but he really did like his co-workers and felt Cris might be more comfortable here. Maybe. There were several pairs of eyes upon him already. Rowan chuckled softly.

"This is my partner Christian," he said. "We live in the same apartment building and met each other when I'd just moved to Nachton. Cris, meet the crew."

One by one he introduced them; Becky, his full time nurse who he'd told Cris a good deal about. She was a single mom, doing her best to make a living for herself and her son while her little boy Jamie spent a lot of time with his grandparents. Rowan tried not to have favorites, but he and Becky got along very well. There were three more nurses; Sherrie, Alexa, and Nora, and the four receptionists who rotated around the different departments; Lisa, Jon, Elaine, and the new guy Brand. There were two nurses there from the ER; Chara and Susan. A few of them had significant others with them as well. The rest weren't at the table.

Rowan was sitting next to Nora, by far the oldest of the nurses, a sweet woman in her mid sixties who had been nursing since she was twenty. She leaned over and spoke with a soft southern accent that most of them could hear even though her voice was not very loud. "Well, I can see why you've been hiding him away," she drawled. "You two are just the cutest thing I've ever seen."

Rowan laughed softly at her. Nora was everyone's grandmother, which made her such a good nurse for children. They took to her instantly. He couldn't help thinking he would have liked a grandma like Nora too. And that she was almost right.

"I have to give Cris the credit there," he said modestly. "He's both the looks and the brains of this operation. I just got very very lucky to be in the right place at the right time."

He wasn't surprised to be met with such a warm reception from his co-workers. Although, he suspected several of them were stil making goo-goo eyes at him... and now, possibly, Cris as well. It wasn't his fault homosexuality had become trendy... who could have called that one, ages ago?
[You would demote yourself for a few hours of alone time?] Cris looked up at Rowan and smiled incredulously. [We will have time, eventually. It will be sweeter for waiting.] Or so the adage always went. It was pretty sweet when they didn't wait and any other time as well. He wouldn't likely fool his partner into believing he had suddenly found patience to be a virtue in their relationship.

He turned to look where Rowan glanced at a table full of people and then back at his redhead when he commented about them. "That statement is utterly false." Cris grumbled after the kiss. "They obviously bite; none of them appear to be eating through feeding tubes."

Any continued grousing was curtailed by two small words from his partner. He smiled softly, feeling cherished and protected in his lover's arms. It was still a strange and wonderful feeling for him but he savored it. "I love you too, Rowan." Cris whispered in return.

The people at the table seemed to be a friendly bunch. He observed no axes or any other hidden weapons and everyone appeared to be enjoying themselves. Cris checked their auras as Rowan introduced them and found that most of them seemed quite happy to see them, or at the very least happy to see Rowan. Several appeared to be a little sad as well when they turned their attention toward him but he could understand the sentiment. His partner was quite the find and some had held hopes that he was single. Cris hoped it did not cause any problems with work for Rowan in the future. He would do his best and watch their reactions while they talked.

Cris looked up in surprise when he and Rowan were pronounced cute by the oldest, aside from the two vampires, person at the table. He raised his eyebrows as Rowan pronounced him to have both looks and brains.

"Yes, I took pity him." Cris reached up and patted Rowan on the shoulder. "Poor thing, someone had to love him. Look at him. He obviously needed it." Then he pinched his partner on the arm and shook his head. "I am the one who considers myself very lucky." He told Nora. "I am not as outgoing as Rowan. I was not sure he had even noticed me."

Cris shrugged and looked back at his companion with a smile. Then he turned to the others at the table. "So someone tell me what kind of trouble he gets into at work." He glanced back at Rowan and added. "Because I know him and he is full of mischief."
[I would demote myself because you are the most important thing in my life and yes, I want more time with you,] Rowan sent back. [That is neither here nor there though. It will be sweet, whenever it happens, so long as you are there.]

It was sent with calm acceptance. Rowan firmly believed that nothing could ever be wrong if Cris was with him. He ignored the muttering and attended to the soft kiss, the reciprocated words of love. That made him beam; knowing Cris felt that way about him was the best thing, ever.

Sitting with his partner amongst his co-workers Rowan gave a long sigh of contentment. He wasn't nervous at the other table, not by a longshot, but neither did he find it truly enjoyable. This was much more fun.

There were a few soft 'awww's when Cris spoke so modestly, and a few more pairs of eyes turned to him. Rowan wondered how Cris would feel being the object of so much female adoration. Already he was pretty sure at least Alexa and Susan had had a hard time blinking since Cris had sat down with them.

Rowan did his best to look pitiful at Cris's words.
"It's true," he said, "Someone did have to pity me eventually." And then, because the situation just begged to be hammed up some, he took Cris's hand and offered him a lovesick gaze. "I would have noticed you in the darkest room of the deepest cavern on the planet," he said, "because you are the only light I can see no matter where we are."

Then he shot Becky a grin and a wink, which he knew everyone else would see. He wasn't about to make any excuses. The sentiment was perfectly real but if Cris was going to engage in theatrics, so could Rowan.

It was Nora who responded first to such flowery words. The older woman burst out laughing and rested her hand on Rowan's free one. "Honey, if he puts up with that bullshit from you all the time, you had best keep him, because God knows he must have the patience of a saint."

Rowan laughed along with her, giving a shrug. Cris's next statement, however, had him wondering if he hadn't made a grave tactical error in coming over here. he blinked at Cris, and then looked around the rest of the table.

"Shit," he said.

He turned pleading eyes to his nurses and receptionists, most of whom wore smiles with varying degrees of knowing.
"Be kind," he said. "I do have to go home with this guy tonight."

"Well," Susan said, tapping her finger against her lower lip thoughtfully as she gazed at Cris, "there was the time he used all the tongue depressors and tissue glue to build that castle."

"For a good cause, I might add," Rowan interjected.

Susan waved her hand at him to silence him. "Yes, the kids loved it, but Lynn almost had a heart attack when she realized it was filling up most of an exam room."

Rowan slid down in his chair a bit.
"I might have gone overboard, but it really did need a tower."

"With a flag made out of a sterile surgical gown?" Alexa asked with a grin.

"The gown might have been slightly unnecessary," Rowan conceded.

"Let's not forget the thing with the vending machines," Jon said.

"Okay now that I stand by! It ate five dollars!" Rowan argued.

"You taught an entire third-grade class how to steal candy," Jon pointed out.

Rowan opened his mouth and then shut it.
"I didn't think about it that way," he said. "I didn't realize they were watching so damn closely."

Chara spoke up next. "What about the kitten?"

"Oh not the kitten," Rowan begged. It was false; for the most part he'd told Cris about pretty much everything that had been mentioned already. Besides, there wasn't much more than this... his friends would quickly run out of tales, having divulged the three worst already.

"One of his patients missed her kitty," Chara explained to Cris, "So Dr. Rowan found her a temporary one. It chewed through three IV lines and knocked over every pill bottle on the first four shelves of the pharmacy."

"I didn't know it could get out through that tiny hole in the carrier," Rowan muttered.

"What happened to that kitten anyway?" Chara asked. "Didn't you adopt it from the humane society?"

"I took him home," Becky said, grinning. "Jamie had been bugging me for a pet so really, it was a stroke of good fortune."

"See, it all worked out for the best," Rowan said weakly.
Cris listened to Rowan's theatrical profession of love with an amused smile. He squeezed his partner's hand gently when he was done, shaking his head. He laughed when Nora claimed he must have the patience of a saint. "I don't mind at all. He's worth putting up with." and silently to his lover he added [And there are many pleasant ways to keep him quiet.]

He leaned forward as Rowan pleaded with his co-workers to be good and not tell on him too badly. Waving a hand in his companion's direction, Cris said. "Don't listen to him and he drove so none of you have to worry that I will leave him stranded here in a fit of pique."

Most of the tales were ones he had already heard from Rowan himself but the others were enjoying the chance to tell the stories again. He loved seeing his partner through other people's eyes, especially when they liked and respected his redhead as much they appeared to.

"There was a good cause for a castle? Was the hospital being attacked by outside forces?" He raised his eyebrows at Rowan, knowing that good cause actually involved childish laughter.

The tale of the vending machine was a situation that Cris had experienced almost first hand since he had been sending to Rowan at the time of his little mini break. His advice had involved kicking the offending machine which probably would not have gotten Rowan his candy back but it might have made him feel better. His next solution had been to tilt to machine forward just a bit, which was no problem at all with their strength and Rowan's height, but by that time his lover had already sorted the situation out in a much more human appropriate manner...even if that method had involved showing a bunch of kids how to steal candy from the vending machines. Personally, he had been a bit distracted by the imagery of his lover on his hands and knees and thought that Rowan's solution was the best one if for no other reason than that one alone.

"On on the upside, their arms probably aren't long enough to take advantage of that schooling for the moment and who knows by the time they have grown enough there might be better vending machines."

The story about the kitten had been told to him already as well. Cris thought a tiny terror running through the hospital pediatric ward was adorable, especially with doctors and nurses chasing after it. He was just glad that the scene at taken place there and not at the Towers. It sounded somehow very much like something Aishe would be involved in...though a raccoon was far worse than a kitten. Perhaps the hospital staff should consider themselves lucky.

When they had finished he turned to Rowan. "So, what I am learning from this is...keep a large supply of toiletries in case you feel the urge to build something, give you easy access to the cookie jar and don't own a pet." Cris chuckled softly and then looked back at the others. "Any other warnings, I should know about? We have not been dating long. I might have missed something vital like an urge to sing show tunes loudly and off key in the shower or something equally terrible."
"That's so sweet of you, Cris." Rowan grinned at Cris's admission that Rowan was worth all the apparent hassle. The good-humored voice in his head made him laugh softly. [Oh, I don't know,] he responded in kind. [You've never encouraged silence from me. Although I suppose, if your cock were in my mouth, I'd be compelled to make a lot less noise than usual. Shall we test the theory?]

He slid his gaze over to Cris's face, squeezing the hand still in his, still wishing he could fast forward them a couple of hours into the future. He ended up shaking his head as Cris asked him for the reasons for the tongue depressor castle, shrugging his shoulders.
"It just needed to be done. I have no good excuse," he said, "aside from the fact that it was a good way to distract two little boys with poison ivy."

And little boys with poison ivy that bad were incredibly difficult to distract. Rowan was lucky his brief stint at architectural design had actually done the trick. Mostly.

The faces at the table wore varying degrees if indulgence; some of his co-workers were less fond of his eccentricities than others. He knew none of them really minded though, and a good few outright enjoyed them. One or two of them were cohorts. If anyone had really been bothered by it... well, he'd probably not have changed a single thing.

When Cris drew his conclusions Rowan tilted his head in acknowledgement.
"Wait, you have a cookie jar? I've definitely got to find that."

His eyes sparkled with mischief; Cris knew full well exactly where Rowan was likely to search for snacks. Let his imagination run with it; Rowan would make good on any fantasies he came up with in a few hours.

Rowan sighed at the idea that he might sing show tunes loudly and off key
. "I prefer to sing my show tunes loudly and in key. Several keys!" He insisted.

"You should make him sing for you some time," Susan said to Cris. "He does have a decent voice."

Rowan turned toward her.
"When did you hear me singing?" He didn't do it often, really.

Susan grinned at him.
"You sang to that old German man in the ER when he fell and broke his arm. Remember?"

Rowan did remember the time in question.
"So I did," he agreed. "He wouldn't be quiet, it seemed best to just join in."

"What was he singing?" Susan asked.

"A German drinking song," Rowan answered. "About being faithful in love. He kept singing the chorus over and over though."

The man in question had been unspeakably drunk when they'd brought him into the ER. Rowan wasn't even sure he'd realized his arm was broken until much later. He'd had fun singing, though.

"Is that where your accent comes from?" Chara asked a little hesitantly. "If you don't mind my asking?"

"I don't mind," Rowan said, "but no, it's not German. I don't know what the heck it is. Irish and English and French and all kinds of muddled European accents mushed up into one I suppose, we moved around a lot when I was a kid."

He made the lies up easily, having straightened out his story for work a while ago. It was the same variation he'd used over and over throughout the years. It was as close to true as he could figure. In reality, his accent was muddled because when Henri had turned him neither he nor Rowan had had any idea what nationality Rowan was. He spoke several languages, as they learned upon experimentation, but Rowan never really took to any one accent. His voice was very distinctly his own... in a sense, he had no real accent at all. It couldn't be nailed to any one region. It seemed to him that he had been completely homeless.

"If y'all prefer, I can do a reasonable southern drawl," he said, in a perfect imitation of a Texas twang. Reverting to his own again, he said, "I learned that one here."
[That was just the manner of silencing I had in mind.] The corners of his mouth twitched upward in a tiny smile. [Though I confess to enjoying your most vocal moments as well.] All of Rowan's moments, if truth be told but that was fairly obvious.

"That sounds like a valid reason for building a castle. I have never experienced poison ivy myself but we did get into some trouble with a bee hive...the result was not pleasant." He smiled and shrugged at everyone at the table. "But the honey was delicious." He and a couple of the other boys found the hive while they were playing during some of their free time from the army. They had heard about smoking the bees and then taking the honey while they were in a stupor. They thought it would be a great prize to bring back to the cook who was forever complaining about not having anything worthwhile to cook with. The whole company would thank them for the special treat.

They would be culinary heroes!

It was decided that Cris would climb the tree because he was the smallest and the best climber. It had also been his brilliant plan to begin with and even at a young age he was not going to let someone else do something he was not willing to do. It worked fairly well. He climbed up and straddled the limb and was guiding honey into the empty waterskin when the fire went out. The two on the ground were busy frantically blowing and feeding sticks into the embers but their efforts weren't fast enough. Cris found managed to at least get his hands out of the hive before the bees started becoming agitated. He had held onto the skin and flipped over, dropping to the ground and making a run for it before they came after him. Most of the stings were on his arms, neck and back from being stung while covering his head. His friends escaped with far less welts but they each got one or two to show for the adventure. The cook was quite pleased and even personally delivered a honey coated pastry to him in the infirmary where he was thoroughly coated with a thick herbal mud salve that Cris thought was much more intolerably itchy than the stings themselves.

Rowan questioned the existence of his cookie jar. He caught his partner's innuendo but answered him honestly with a little squeeze to the hand he held under the table to acknowledge the potential for other dessert hunting endeavors later. "I do. You would know where it was if you spent more time in the kitchen." He gave Rowan a smug amused look; the others had no way of knowing that neither of them spent much time in the kitchen. "It would be the little dragon perched over the treasure chest on the counter. Careful though, he bites." Well, he snapped actually but Cris figured that would be deterrent enough, no maiming need actually happen. The dragon was bronze and copper scaled with little ruby eyes; its wings were made of thin metal pieces leafed in gold as were the horns and ridges on its back and tail. The chest was made of wood and brass. If you knew the secret of the device then you could open it without incurring the dragon's wrath. In Rowan's defense it did not much look like your ordinary cookie jar.

The topic of conversation turned to his partner's singing ability. He raised his eyebrows and looked over at Rowan and then back at Susan. It was stated that his boyfriend sang quite well. "Does he?"

He already knew that his lover spoke German from several conversations in the language. Rowan even seemed to understand his own quirky accent which made some natives of the country twitch. Cris had not thrown in Swiss words on him; perhaps he would try that sometime when Rowan was really sleepy and see if he could stump his companion.

Cris had tried to puzzle out where Rowan was from based on his accent but it had been too many years for him to sort it out. It was frustrating because normally he was quite good at figuring out a person's origins from their speech, even most vampires who had plenty of time to muddy up their past through centuries of existence. Some took longer to pick out than others and some people have very little accent at all but their choice of words many times told him what he wanted to know, sometimes even the age of the speaker. Rowan was European, of that he had no doubt but the rest was uncertain. His lover's German sounded softer to his ears, more like his own but that could just be the mix of places had been or where he had learned to speak the language or his own wishful thinking.

For all that it was muddled, Rowan's accent was beautiful. He loved it. Ironically, it was thicker than his own, which could barely be heard except through the occasional word, or when he was drunk, or very very tired, or worn out by Rowan and murmuring endearments into his lover's ear but other than that... almost non existent.

He raised an eyebrow at his boyfriend and his choice of accent. "I do not believe you are allowed to do that accent without either a very large hat or a firearm...perhaps both are required. I am not certain on the rules but it might be a hanging offense." Cris leaned over and kissed Rowan on the cheek. "You should try southern California. I don't think surfers are known for shooting people or dangling them from trees."

Activity around the doorway leading to the kitchen had increased. Servers who were refilling drinks and clearing dishes had all filtered out of the room. He judged they had only a few minutes before the next course. Turning to Rowan and the others, he said as much.

"It appears the time for more food is almost upon us."
[I'll do my best to give you the opportunity to experience both. I'll be nice and loud later just so you can shut me up,] Rowan suggested impishly. [And, oh, I cannot wait for you to shut me up.] The last was sent in a purely silky, sexy tone as Rowan indulged in a little daydream that he was pretty sure would be reality. [It's going to be one of those nights, love.]

Those nights... by which he meant they would love each other until they could barely move, breathe, think, or even think about moving, breathing, or thinking. Their schedules were so full;often they fell into bed together too tired to do much but snuggle, too strapped for time for anything but a fast, desperate joining. Sure, there were days off when they got to indulge, and tonight promised to be similar.

In the meantime, Rowan tried to put those thoughts in the back of his mind. Cris mentioned a story about a bee hive and Rowan's attention was immediately engaged.

"I've never heard this particular story," he said, grinning. "Will you tell me the rest later?"

Rowan's enthusiasm was somewhat restrained in this setting but he was sure Cris would see how eager he was to know the whole thing. He adored hearing stories of Cris's youth. Having had no memorable childhood of his own Rowan's most favorite thing was to listen to Cris tell tales of his. He couldn't get enough of it.

At the revelation that the dragon and the treasure chest was, in fact, a cookie jar, Rowan drew back in surprise.
"That's no fair," he protested. "It's hardly a traditional cookie jar!" He indulged in a tiny little sulk for a few seconds, adding, "I'll spend more time in the kitchen when pigs grow wings and fly. Unless you've developed a sudden taste for poorly-cooked food, you don't want me preparing it."

Well... more like uncooked food. Rowan wasn't turning on an oven for anything. The second the burners heated up he refused to go near them. Henri rolled his eyes, even today, at Rowan's continued refusal to operate such a simple device.

Nora laughed and, in her own gentle southern tone, said, "I don't know how you manage to stay fit. Home cooking is the only way to live!"

"I've had your home cooking," Rowan replied. "You'd kill me."

It was a compliment, although it didn't sound like it. Rowan turned to Cris to explain.
"Nora brought in homemade fried chicken a few weeks ago. It was sinful. I cannot see myself keeping my girlish figure if that's the kind of home cooking she means."

There was a chorus of general agreement at the table. Rowan, however, was slightly distracted by the realization of just how much he loved the little details he constantly learned about Cris. They had many things in common, but enough differences that they had plenty to learn and talk about. He loved Cris's ingenuity, his creative spirit. They expressed themselves in different ways, Rowan through music and writing, Cris through artistry and design.

He had to tug himself back to reality to catch up with the conversation. Cris explained something about the south to him and Rowan felt his eyes grow wide.
"I have got to visit this place," he said. "It sounds absolutely fascinating."

It should be obvious from his accent, if nothing else, that even in his long lifetime he had not spent a lot of time in the US. Clearly most of his time had been spent in Europe. Nachton was as far south as Rowan had ever been in the States, and given what Cris had said, even if it was mostly in jest, he wasn't sure if he was afraid of or amazed by the south. He'd have to travel down there and determine it for himself.

He smiled at the soft kiss on his cheek, leaning into it with a happy sigh. At Cris's suggestion Rowan lost the drawl and swapped to a surfer accent.
"Well okay dude, if you think so. Maybe later we can go catch some righteous waves."

Their time at his co-workers' table was short as he'd imagined it would be; the second course was due out any minute. Rowan turned to see the servers amassing and smiled regretfully. It was much more fun here than their assigned table, but business was business.

Rowan stood, keeping his hand in Cris's.
"I hope you'll excuse us," he said. "We've got to get back before we're missed, and I believe I have a presentation to give soon." He let out a little sigh. "I promise, we'll be back."

That statement was met with enthusiasm and, as they turned to leave, Rowan noted that more than a couple pairs of eyes lingered on them. He knew he'd broken one or two hearts but he also knew that there was a new dynamic in the group with the fact that he'd shown up with Cris. Hopefully his partner was all right with it; Rowan was sure Cris would handle anything perfectly well. And when the benefit was over there was a luxurious room awaiting them where they could just enjoy each others company in complete privacy without worrying about appearances.

As they moved back toward their original seats Rowan once again pulled Cris close, taking advantage of the crowd on the dance floor which hadn't quite thinned out yet. For the second time that night he stole a soft kiss, lingering just a bit longer this time.
"Thank you," he said softly. "I hope you don't feel out of place here. I love having you here though, the fact that you are is priceless to me."
Cris would have laughed at Rowan's suggestive but playful sending had they been in private. Since they were not he contented himself with returning comments in kind. [Well then I will have to do my best to give you reason to be loud so that when we get around to the silencing you wont feel cheated, having already fully 'expressed' yourself.] Expressing himself was something that Rowan rarely had a problem with, even with his mouth full of Swiss anatomy. Cris groaned dramatically at his lover through the sending and sent a mock complaint. [Those nights take several days to recover from.] But, oh how sweet they were, every sore muscle was completely and totally worth it. The rest of his life ran so much smoother with Rowan aiding in such wonderful and very thorough stress relief. He was certain the entirety of Evenhet's security world wide would thank Rowan profusely if they knew he was responsible for the somewhat kinder, gentler, more apt to be forgiving, Chief of Security.

"Of course, Love." Cris smiled and squeezed Rowan's hand, promising him a bed time story later if he still wished to hear it.

He sighed softly at his partner's pout but did not dispute the claim that the cookie jar did not present itself in the honorably honest fashion of most other such containers. Rowan then claimed that he would spend time in the kitchen when porcine animals grew avian appendages. Cris tsked and disagreed. "I think you would be perfectly capable of making a few meals. No one, not even you, is a hopeless case." [We will just have to find meals that do not use the stove.] He smiled and said. "We can start you off with sandwich specialist and go from there."

Rowan claimed that Nora would kill him with her home cooking. He could understand; there was a lovely older woman on the fifth floor, Mrs. Dunlevy who insisted on feeding any member of security that happened to do her a service or favor of any kind. She did not take 'no' for an answer, evasion was futile and if you managed, as he had once or twice, to leave her domicile without eating then she would show up the next day at your office, as she had once or twice, with a covered dish made especially for you.

It was easier to simply accept that you were going to be fed. It was normally no trouble as her culinary skills were well above average. Cris knew for a fact that many of his human staff made their way purposefully past her door quite often in the hopes that she needed some small amount of maintenance or heavy lifting done. Mrs Dunlevy always seemed to have some task that she could use help with and he secretly suspected that she thought up something new each night just in case she had visitors the following day. Both parties were pleased with the arrangement so he left well enough alone.

He laughed at Rowan's interest in the south as something strange and shrugged softly. "Perhaps we can visit New Orleans during Mardi Gras. You might believe you have come to a whole different planet." The French and the South mixed in very interesting ways. It was completely different from the French Canadian culture despite sharing a mutual European influence. Perhaps the climate was responsible for the difference; it was just too hot in Louisiana to get worked up about anything. The Canadian French had no such difficulty.

"Excellent, Man! I definitely agree with your totally gnarly idea." Cris responded in kind to Rowan's change of accent. He wondered if the suite had a water bed so that later they could claim to have 'rode' some waves. This thought was followed by ones about other things that he would love to ride.

Still thinking of such things, he made his brief goodbyes to the group at the table as Rowan promised they would return. He followed his partner absently as Rowan led the way back to their seats. He would never have believed someone could so thoroughly claim so much of his thoughts so often or could change his mood completely with just a few words or a look but Rowan did.

Cris smiled as his companion kissed him again once they reached their seats. He reached up and cupped a hand against Rowan's cheek before stealing a quick kiss of his own in return. "As long as I am with you then I am where I want to be. I would take a battlefield next to you over a paradise without you."

He glanced back over at the table they had just left. "They all seem like nice people, good friends some of them. I did not feel out of place."
Brand 12 years ago
Brand was thrilled when the red-haired doctor joined their table with his partner, a smallish blond who had a somewhat delicate look about him. His eyes were initially drawn to the smaller man's hands but they were hidden beneath the table and Brand very much doubted he'd be able to tell if they were the same hands that had rested upon Rowan's shoulders in his previous vision. The visions weren't that literal.

He sat quietly while the couple talked with their co-workers, laughing at all the appropriate times and doing nothing that would raise any alarm. The hunter inside was quiet; equally satisfied that Brand was taking measures to appease it.

When the two men were finally headed away from the table Brand looked at them both again. What he saw was surprisingly simple. Rowan had the same look about him, always. Faintly, Brand saw the white wings that he had come to associate with the doctor. Curious, really. He wanted to fix everyone. Heal them. Protect them. Whatever. But in this setting, away from work, those were a faint shadow against the glow that appeared around his boyfriend. Clearly, the small blond was all Rowan needed currently.

The feeling was reciprocated; as Brand focused on Cris it was Rowan who was limned in soft white-gold light. All they needed was each other. There was nothing distracting either one of them, no preoccupation with other matters, no secret desire to be elsewhere, with someone else.

Brand felt nothing in particular himself, but he turned as the pair walked away to catch the back end of a three-woman squeal that started at Susan, continued through Chara, and ended with Alexa. Immediately the gossip factory began as his co-workers gushed over the two men who'd just left.

Brand turned to look at them again with a more clinical eye, trying to figure out what the women saw as so adorable in either one, but as usual he felt nothing but anticipation for the hunt.

It would be difficult to get to the one without the other interfering, tat much was plain. The two men clearly needed each other, and were devoted to one another. That added another element to his game. He would make sure to check up on Rowan's partner and see what he may or may not be up against.

Brand smiled, at last. This night had just gotten a whole lot better.