Sushi with a side of butterflies

Evalyn smiled and squeezed the hand in her's, little nose crinkling with her grin at the compliment. She shrugged and considered where they should go after they had eaten while they walked down into the station.

"We could go to the arcade." Evalyn looked a little sheepish at mentioning something that was very similar to the place they were just leaving. "I know Terminus has a lot of the same things but it doesn't have mini golf, or go carts or ski ball and such."

They reached the entrance to the subway; Terminus was lucky to have been the main airport at one time which meant that it had been a prime location for a subway stop. The street was renamed, appropriately enough, Old Airport Road. She swung their arms back and forth as she hopped down the stairs. "Or we could see a movie, or go dancing, or...go to the museum." Evalyn made a face that suggested that the last one was not really a first pick. "Any of those you like? Or something else? I am pretty flexible so long as you don't want me to sit through opera. I still haven't figured out why people pay a lot of money to listen to people sing in a language they don't understand."

"I'm just happy to be out with you." Evalyn looked at Kiyoshi seriously. "I know this isn't the best situation but we can still have fun. Its like a secret adventure of something." So long as it stayed a secret then they would be fine.

The train pulled up and the doors opened. Finding a couple of seats next to each other in the crowded car, she sat down, pulling Kiyo down with her. Evalyn then snuggled closer, leaning against the werewolf's shoulder with a happy smile.

"I love the subway. I wish more cities had them." She tilted her head towards the window and watched the people and billboards disappear as they pulled out, then there was nothing but brick and lights and the rhythmic sound of train on rails.

Kiyoshi Salinas 12 years ago
Kiyo smiled at Evan's first suggestion. "The arcade huh? Fine with me."

He let his arm be swung all around as Evan continued to chat happily. Not for the first time Kiyo was happy Evan was the talkative type. He didn't seem to mind that Kiyo was more the listening type... on the contrary, they seemed to suit each other well that way.

"Mmm," he said thoughtfully, rolling his eyes upward as he considered. "The arcade sounds like fun really." He glanced at the map of the subway and hoped Evan knew where they were going; Kiyo tilted his head from side to side and grimaced; he could hardly make sense of it.

"I'd rather not go to the museum... and I'm not a big fan of opera either." He remembered Therese yet; he wasn't entirely sure they had gotten along all that well. And at any rate, hanging out anywhere near a Packmate wasn't really all that relaxing... not exactly. There were some exceptions to that rule.

Kiyoshi blushed again at Evan's frankness.
"I'm happy to be out with you too. I just hope it's... I mean... I want you to have fun."

It was his fault, he was sure, that the situation wasn't as good as it could be. Kiyo felt self-conscious about it. Sure, he'd suggested this guise for Evan but it had been a very long time since he'd been with a woman instead of a man and his senses were still trying to confuse him. He wanted to explain to Evan what he was feeling but it wasn't the time or place and besides, he thought he would quickly get used to the changes. It was still Evan, after all, and that was the important part.

"I can handle that. Top secret and all that." He felt shy and nervous still... God, why didn't he go out more? It might have prepared him for this. What if... what if the butterflies made him so nervous he couldn't eat? Anything but that... anything!

He tried to shove the disturbing notion from his head as they boarded the subway and Evan found them two seats. When he snuggled up to Kiyo, Kiyo hesitated and then figured it out quickly enough, putting his arm around Evalyn's shoulders. With a quick glance around he discreetly kissed the top of the blond and pink head, nuzzling his nose into it for a moment and breathing in the new scent as well as the faintly familiar one beneath it.

He had to admit it was cozy, the two of them snuggled in their seats as the tunnels flew by. He wrapped his other arm around Evalyn.
"They are fun," he agreed. "It's like being in, I don't know, another world or something."

Several stops passed them by.
"So where is this sushi place?"

And would he be able to find it again?
"I'm not very good at getting around the city yet," he said softly. "There are so many smells and sounds and sights. My senses... are stronger than average. The city sometimes overwhelms me."

He felt his cheeks turning red.
"Maybe, um, maybe you'll just have to come out with me. A lot. To make sure I don't stay lost."

Flirting was not his forte. Definitely not his forte.
Evan Talkingwater 12 years ago
It would seem that they had settled on the arcade. Evalyn thought that was a good choice for their first official date; there was plenty of things to do, see and talk about. Kiyo also seemed to be of a similar mind on both the museum and the opera which boded well for future events. Though Evalyn supposed she wouldn't mind being bored in a private box somewhere where her hand could wander into her date's lap for some slow torture...teasing, yes, teasing.

"I will have fun." Evalyn had smiled at Kiyo's worry. He was adorable when he was nervous. It made him extremely squishable; she wondered what he would think of that.

Snuggled up next to Kiyoshi was nice. "Yes, a magic underground world with fluorescent lights and lots of movie posters." They had just left a station stop with a large advertisement for Real Steel. "It means less cars and the thought of a large underground system not marring the land with roads and cars is a nice one." It was unlikely to happen any time soon but Evalyn could wait. Perhaps some day they would all have the flying cars seen so often in the sci fi movies. Then they could break up the roads, plant some trees and let the earth reclaim some of the cities.

"Its at the next stop." She squeezed his arm sympathetically and then gave him a huge grin when he suggested that she accompany him to keep him from getting lost. "City Survival Guide....I can handle that."

Their station was announced and the train started slowing as they entered it. Evalyn leaned up to speak quietly in her companion's ear. "I promise to help you find your way around my bedroom too...just in case. I would hate for you to get lost."

Having said that, she smiled and raised her eyebrows at him before getting up, taking his hand and leading them toward the door.

"Think of it as different sort of forest." Evalyn said. " You can remember this station because its called New Wolfford Street." She pointed to the lighted sign above their heads. They made their way through the turnstiles and up several flights of stairs. "We want to turn left here." Evalyn pointed at a fancy old lamp post with black chipped and peeling paint. "You can use this post to remember the way if you like. I always thought the rusted bare spots there looked like a face." She pointed upward to indicate which ones she meant. "See he's smiling because he smells the sushi." Perhaps not from this distance but the restaurant was the thing Kiyo probably wanted to get back to.

Evalyn wrapped her arm around her date's waist as they walked several more blocks before turning left again down a side street. "This one you can remember by that funky pinkish brick building. Its hard to miss." It was now a boutique of some sort. It had once been a little family owned pharmacy but that was years ago.

"This is Bellbank Street." She remembered many of the roads because she had been here when they were smaller and knew why most of them were named. Wolfford, the old not the new, had been called that many years ago when this area had been on the outskirts of Nachton and the river that ran through here marked the edge of the woods. Whether it had been named for real wolves or werewolves, well that was up for debate among vampirekind. Bellbank was named for one of the first large banks in town; it had a very large impressive golden bell at the top of its tower. The building was no longer standing and the bell now belonged to a church a few blocks away but the road still bears the name of the old landmark.

"And here we are." Once they had turned onto Bellbank street the sushi place was not hard to find. It was not that far down and the lighted sign could easily be seen. "Sushi Deli." It was an odd name for a sushi place but Evalyn kind of liked it. Many tried to have some flashy Japanese theme with more attention and money spent on the furnishings and trappings and less on the food and staff. This place was small, unassuming and it was what it claimed to be. No more, no less. It was recommended highly by at least one small werewolf that he talked to from time to time. She had sung its praises once after bringing over a new refugee, saying that she had earned a good meal.
Kiyo chuckled at the idea of the magical mystical poster-filled subway. Evan was right though, it was fun.

"Oh, that movie looks kind of interesting," he said as they passed another Real Steel poster. "I might be biased though. I like Hugh Jackman."

Kiyo considered the idea of a vast underground system.
"You think that might happen someday? You don't think it's still marring the land? Underground must mess with stuff too."

Kiyo wasn't highly educated; what 'stuff' it might mess with, he could only imagine, but the earth surely was more than skin deep. What other options for mass transit were there though? He lost his train of thought (no pun intended) when Evan smiled up at him. Maybe his horrible flirting was amusing? He'd take that. It was better than 'painful.'

He blushed hard, however, when Evan leaned close and whispered to him about the bedroom. His eyes grew wide and he glanced around.
"Evan...lyn," he squeaked in a somewhat choked voice. He swallowed and followed his date, still stammering incoherently, as they exited the subway.

Kiyo clung tightly to Evan's hand as they climbed the stairs up to the street.
"Face on the lamp post. New Wolfford," he repeated, trying to fix it in his mind. "Left again onto Bellbank."

Oh. There it was, as promised. Sushi Deli. Interesting name, but he was told it was yummy and that was what counted. His stomach growled hungrily at the sight of the restaurant.
"I might be able to remember this."

Kiyo's sense of direction was faulty but not completely inoperative. He might take a wrong turn or two but he could usually get where he was going... with varying degrees of punctuality. He leaned into Evan's one-armed embrace and then slipped his own arm around the slender rounded shoulders that were not Evan's, and were.

"I can smell it now," he said with a smile. Fresh seafood. He was practically salivating. "I'm so hungry," he moaned softly. "I haven't eaten in hours."

At least four. Maybe five. He might be dying. He picked up the pace as they neared the entrance to the restaurant, pulling Evan along with him. As they entered he saw the simple, clean decor and heard the gentle background music, not too loud, not too upbeat. They were greeted by a cheerful hostess who asked them if they wanted a table or a booth.

"A booth please," Kiyo said. "Maybe, in the corner there?"

They were shown to the corner booth where Kiyo stood aside to let Evan in first. He hoped his date would see the reasoning. By hiding Evan inside the booth and sitting on the same side as him, Kiyo could pretty easily eat most of what they ordered so Evan wouldn't really have to worry about it. He could nibble as daintily as he liked and appear as though he were eating with Kiyo. Maybe he would even enjoy some of what they ordered.

"Is this okay?" he asked Evan.
Evalyn nodded against Kiyo's arm. "It does look like it might be fun at least." The movie didn't look like it had a complicated plot but if the rest of it was entertaining then those weren't always necessary. "The accent is nice."

Looking up at the top of the subway car like she could see through it to the earth beyond, she shrugged. "I'm sure its not the best possible solution. Maybe teleporters would be better but subways are possible now. We could have a system of connected trains now if people wanted to go that way and at least there would be less roads everywhere." Of course many people seemed to like being in control of their own vehicle...though some of those couldn't stop texting and calling long enough to actually drive. The subway looked like a better solution all the time.

Evalyn pretended not to notice the nice blush that warmed Kiyo's skin but loved it all the same. She wanted to lean close and whisper further promises in his ear and watch him redden handsomely again.

Once they had neared the deli Kiyo claimed to be hungry in a pained voice. Evalyn laughed, trying to remember what it was like to feel hungry for anything other than blood, to need to eat every single day. It was difficult to remember very well but it seemed that her companion's stress was fairly real so they had best find a place to sit and see about feeding the werewolf before he starved to death.

"This is good." Evalyn smiled at Kiyo. "Though I might think you're ashamed to be seen with me." She laughed and reached over to pinch him playfully on the arm so that Kiyoshi wouldn't take her seriously, a thing he tended to do quite often. She wondered how that was going to work out with someone that always seemed to be making jokes.

Time would tell.
Kiyoshi slid into the booth on the same side as Evan and took a menu from the hostess, waving away the second one. They could share. He opened it up and grinned at Evan as his date pinched his arm.

Kiyo was glad Evan had made himself clear although he was growing used to the vampire's ready sense of humor. He sighed as his face grew red again and shook his head.
"Maybe I just want you all to myself," he suggested.

Impulsively he leaned in and pressed a soft, quick kiss to Evan's lips. He tasted different like this... felt different. Not unpleasant. Just different. Kiyo wondered how it would feel if he could be someone else for an evening. He envied Evan a little bit.

When their waitress came to the table Kiyo pondered the drink list. He was off tonight. Why not have a drink or two?
"A glass of water, please, and a Sapporo," he requested.

Beer... the only way to ingest grain.

After Evan ordered his own drink Kiyo pointed at the menu.
"Can we start with the sashimi sampler? And the steak tartare?"

As the waitress moved away Kiyo leaned over and rested his head on Evalyn's shoulder. That would be okay, right? Was it always the girl who had to be snuggly? He couldn't recall. He didn't usually date girls. Holding up the menu so they could both see it he asked,
"Is there anything in particular you like? Or... that you miss eating?"

He didn't like vegetables and cooked meat but if Evan wanted to try it they could order anything. He would do his best to finish off whatever his friend didn't want or couldn't eat. Kiyo didn't really know how such things worked for Evan's kind, just that Evan preferred not to be wasteful.

In the meantime he cuddled up happily, memorizing the new scents and feel of Evalyn and fixing them in his mind.
"Is that so?" Evalyn flashed Kiyo a lovely smile right before the werewolf leaned over to kiss her. The resulting smile after he pulled back was even bigger. "I think I can be hidden away so long as you treasure me well." There was plenty of truth in that teasing statement. Evan didn't mind hiding as Evalyn for Kiyo's sake. He became other people for far more selfish reasons all the time and being Kiyoshi's secret lover while walking about under the noises of the world was perfectly fine and if it kept the werewolf safer then he would do it happily.

She looked up at the waitress and asked for a glass of water as well. Evalyn listened to Kiyo's order which sounded good enough to her. There was not something in particular she felt interested in, except for her date.

Kiyoshi snuggled closer and Evalyn smiled and wrapped her arm around him. She kissed playfully on the top of the head and shrugged with the shoulder he wasn't leaning against to answer his question. "I miss a few things from time to time but I've eaten those things. There are a lot of tastes and drinks that I haven't had at all and those are more interesting."

Looking down at the menu, she did find something that she missed. "Here, these...but we don't need them." Evalyn realized the one she picked was not something that Kiyoshi would want to eat which meant that she would need to eat all of them on her own. "Its okay, I'll taste some of yours and you can pick something else and I'll try some of that too."
Kiyo flushed again at the notion of treasuring Evan. It was too public a setting for him to say so but Evan had given him so much to treasure already, how could he not cherish him in return? He loved spending time with Evan. They had spent nearly every day together in the last week. No small amount of that time was spent in bed. Kiyo couldn't get enough of Evan's gentle touch and Evan seemed more than willing to accommodate him.

He loved the feel of Evan's arm around him. He felt treasured this way, too. Kiyoshi had the notion that Evan's attention might be spoiling him a bit but he was having a hard time having any difficulty with that. He wanted to be spoiled. A little. He already looked forward to going back to Evan's after their night out and hopping onto the big warm bed, curling up in Evan's arms, and being kissed soundly. Evan hadn't invited him back to his place yet but Kiyo hoped he would; he still felt like he needed that. They hadn't been together so long that Kiyo assumed anything.

He looked at where Evan was pointing on the sushi menu.
"Oh, smoked salmon? That's good. Let's get some."

Smoked salmon was cured, not cooked... Kiyo didn't mind it. He wouldn't eat all of it, but if Evan ate some he could finish the rest.
"You can have anything of mine you want. I like sharing with you."

Evan was fun in any shape or form. Kiyo thought he wouldn't mind offering him access to his things, food or otherwise. Evan wouldn't take.

The waitress returned with their drinks and Kiyoshi picked up his beer and took a generous swallow. Putting the menu down he looked up at the waitress.

"Can we have the smoked salmon wraps? Also, a sashimi deluxe plate. And maybe, um, a regular sashimi plate. Oh. And a steak. Rare. No sides, please."

The waitress arched her brows at him and her lips seemed to twitch up.
"Anything else?"

Kiyo looked back at her, feeling a little bit like a deer in headlights.
"Not for now," he said in a small voice.

The waitress laughed softly, took the menu, and headed off. Kiyo turned to Evan helplessly and shrugged.
"I'm starving," he said plaintively.

Kiyo took another swallow of Sapporo, enjoying the slightly yeasty taste that he only enjoyed in this form.
"Want some?" He offered the glass to Evan. "Is there anything else you think we should order?"

He hoped Evan was getting used to his eating habits by now. Maybe it was because he was a werewolf. Maybe it was just how his body worked. But Kiyoshi was a bottomless pit, normally. It didn't matter how much he ate; he stayed slim as a whip. But he could certainly pack it in.
Evalyn looked down at Kiyo to make sure that he really didn't mind eating the salmon and was not just humoring her. She didn't want him to try to stomach something that he'd rather not eat, maybe even couldn't eat.

"Okay, if you're sure." Evalyn gave him a happy hug and waited for the waitress to come back. Sharing food and this whole experience with Kiyo was exciting and had purpose so it was not so wasteful in her eyes.

The waitress came back and she took her ice water and the little straw. She listened to Kiyo order their food and looked up in time to catch the woman's amused smile. Evalyn held up a finger and said "Oh and I'll have...." When the waitress paused in putting away her pad, she smiled. "Just kidding." The woman laughed and walked off toward the kitchen.

Pounding her straw onto the table, Evalyn smooshed the little paper into a tight accordion at the bottom end of the tube. She then carefully removed it and set the pleated paper sideways on the table. Looking up at Kiyo, she dipped the end of the straw into the water and then carefully dripped a tiny amount onto the paper. The little tube expanded and inched forward, another drop and the little worm grew some and moved some more. "Look! I created Life!!" Evalyn made a soft mad scientist chuckle to go along with her 'creation'. When the tube had finished moving and growing Evalyn picked up the wet paper and mushed it into a tight ball. She used a napkin to clean up the mess and then shrugged a small apology to Kiyo.

She shook her head about the beer. The modern stuff never tasted quite right in her opinion at least not on the mass market here. "Hmm, maybe we should wait and see how we feel after some of this has been eaten." Or more accurately devoured. They could also find another place to eat later if Kiyo was still hungry. Evalyn was beginning to think that she should find the good 'all you can eat' buffets around town and plan future dates around those. The wolf really was not eating all that much when you looked at it. He just was not eating a lot of the fiber and filler that most humans consumed with a small portion of meat. Still, eating out must be a hassle and potentially embarrassing. Having a vampire date to share food with might just be the perfect solution.

She took a sip of her drink and then set the water glass down. "So how do you feel about go karts? Or do you like the mini golf plan better?"
Kiyoshi couldn't help but laugh at Evan's goofing around as they waited for the food to start coming. He wondered how someone so old got to be so carefree... or maybe it was necessary when you were so old. He wasn't sure.

Evan declined the beer and Kiyo shrugged and took another swallow. It was good, cool and refreshing. He had never really seen Evan drink so he made a mental note not to get drunk himself, but the alcohol was helping to soothe his nerves.

"Okay. We'll see in a bit," he agreed. He suspected he'd ordered enough to fill himself up at least, for a few hours anyway.

The waitress arrived with their appetizers as Kiyo considered Evan's question about entertainment. She set a plate down in front of each of them and headed off. Kiyo opened his chopsticks and broke them apart. The sashimi sampler had an arrangement of four different types of fish, two pieces of each. The steak tartare was delicately arranged in a little goblet with a sweet vinegar dressing.

Sitting back up so Evan was free to move Kiyo sampled the steak, giving a happy little sigh as he made a token gesture of chewing once or twice and then swallowing. His empty stomach seemed to reach up and grab it.

"I've never been in a go kart," Kiyo said. "I don't know if I like them or not. We can do both, can't we? I'd like to try driving."

Kiyoshi had never gotten a driver's license either. He traveled a lot... planes, taxis, buses, and his own two feet tended to get him wherever he needed to go. He plucked a piece of tuna from the sampler plate and devoured it quickly without bothering with wasabi or soy sauce. He was trying to restrain himself. Eat at a reasonable pace. Let Evan take what he wanted before Kiyo demolished the rest.

"It's been a long time since I played mini golf too. I mean, I played it once or twice but that was also... a really long time ago."

He hadn't played that one since he was a child. His foster parents had taken him along with his brother to a mini golf course once when they were on vacation. Kiyo paled at the memory. It hadn't been a good vacation. Playing games with Evan would be much more fun than playing games with Luis. Kyo snatched another piece of steak up and ate it with another happy moan.
Evalyn broke apart the chopsticks and then tried to fit them in her hand. She looked over at Kiyo's again to see why her's weren't working right. After adjusting them, she took an awkward grab for a piece of sashimi. It wobbled back and forth threatening to fall onto the table; Evalyn moved it quickly toward her mouth, not daring to stop for the sauce.

"Phat's arder van e wooks." was mumbled around the piece of fish. Which was fresh and tasty. She sighed happily and chewed it slowly, savoring it all before attempting to get another piece.

Kiyo said that he would like to do both activities and Evalyn smiled. "Of course." It seemed as though her partner was saying that he didn't know how to drive, if she inferred correctly. "You've never driven a car? Hmm." It didn't seem as odd to her as it might a lot of people but horseless carriages were still relatively new inventions. Of course these days everyone seemed to drive; some people owned more cars than they had people to occupy them. "I can teach you sometime, if you like. Though maybe you're more likely to stay with me in the city with all the nice public transit if I don't...." Evalyn gave Kiyo a mischievous grin.

Screwing up her face in concentration, she reached for a piece of steak this time. Perhaps it was the practice or perhaps the difference in texture but for whatever reason it made it to Evalyn's mouth without the dangerous teetering the fish had made. There was a big grin of accomplishment before she began enjoying her steak.

Once done she said, "Well I am pretty sure that's easy enough to get the hang of mini golf after a swing or two. Colourful little ball goes into the hole, piece of cake." Riiiight. If you could walk over to the hole and drop it down into it then perhaps it would be simple. Evalyn had to remember not to knock so hard that it landed out of the arcade. No doubt Kiyo had similar troubles. Poor supernatural creatures, they needed their own mini golf course...oh yeah, they just called those golf courses. Its a shame those didn't have the fun obstacles; it would make golf much more entertaining.
Kiyo wasn't sure if Evan's difficulty with the chopsticks was due to his smaller than usual hands, or inexperience. His words seemed to indicate he hadn't used chopsticks much. Kiyo found that surprising. In two thousand years mightn't he have used them some? Of course, Evan was clearly Native American. Maybe he hadn't done much traveling to Asia. He held his tongue for the time being, not sure if his advice would be welcome.

Kiyo waited for Evan to help himself again and then snatched another piece of sashimi, this time a delicious piece of salmon. He loved the fatty, almost creamy texture of the fresh fish. It was also met with a soft sighing 'yummy' noise.

Shaking his head at Evan he said,
"No. I didn't want to learn, growing up. My, um, guardians offered but it didn't seem like a good choice for me."

Not with Luis lurking about just waiting for Kiyo to have an 'accident.' He shrugged.
"I never really needed to drive myself anywhere. We lived in a city, or close enough in to it that transportation wasn't a problem. My whole life has kept me close to one city or another."

He considered Evan's offer.
"Maybe I could learn. I guess I'd like to, even if I don't buy a car or anything. It would be useful."

He smiled as Evan managed to snag a piece of steak, claiming his not driving might keep Kiyo closer. It surprised him to hear it. He battled hard against yet another blush but lost the war and looked down a little shyly.
"I wouldn't go anywhere. I wanna stay with you."

Gently he reached over and adjusted Evan's hold on the chopsticks.
"See? Pinch here, with your thumb and forefinger. Move that one, and hold the other one still."

He smiled apologetically.
"We used them almost exclusively when I was a kid." He realized it might not be clear what he meant; Evan knew he was from South America. "My birth father is Japanese."

Kiyo didn't talk much about himself but with Evan he didn't mind opening up. Evan wasn't very pushy about digging for tidbits of information but Kiyo wouldn't have minded. He actually enjoyed talking to Evan. The vampire's opinions were important to him and Evan never judged him based on his past, which he was getting used to.

"Yeah, easy in theory," Kiyo said with a little grin as he pondered mini golf. "I don't know how well I'll do but I guess we'll find out, huh?"

He alternated between fish and steak, trying to continue to eat slowly. It came as a relief to him when the waitress returned with the smoked salmon wraps, pieces of fish wrapped in seaweed with some kind of filling. The fish looked good... and there might be some more fish inside the wrap too from the looks of it.
Evalyn wondered why Kiyoshi had thought that learning to drive was not a good choice for him when he was younger. She supposed that it could be many things. Perhaps he had been a nervous teenager, perhaps his parents were horrible teachers or overly concerned about their vehicle. It could be anything. She didn't want to pry; Kiyo seemed like a private person and she let most of his sharing unfold as a part of their conversations so that he felt inclined to continue sharing in the future.

She smiled when he blushed again and said he didn't want to go anywhere. Setting her chopsticks down, Evalyn wrapped her arms around Kiyo and hugged him close, putting her on his shoulder for a moment. "Good, then I teach you if you like." Perhaps they should start with the flying; it was easier in some ways. She would feel better if Kiyo knew how to drive though; it gave the werewolf more travel options in an emergency. It would be wonderful to believe that they could live nice normal human lives but that was rarely the case and now they were adding a dangerous relationship into the mixture. Of course, Kiyo could probably run faster than most cars...

Perhaps that was why he was so hungry.

Picking back up the chopsticks, she struggled with their placement again. Kiyo reached over and helped her adjust them to fit more appropriately and demonstrated the motions with his own. They seemed a little more secure this time.

The werewolf then explained that he had used them quite often as a child. Visions of tiny Kiyo and a pair of giant chopsticks made her smile. Her companion explained his background a little more and she poked him gently with the end of one the sticks. "I would have never guessed, Kiyoshi." Evalyn smiled at him and shrugged. "My parents were from a tribe that does not even exist any more." She reached over and took up another piece of fish. This time it wobbled a little less as it made its way to her mouth.

Chewing it thoughtfully, she considered the past. Outliving her entire culture was something that she had long come to terms with. It was one of the hardships of being a vampire. Evalyn had been angry at first, wanting to war with this people or that people but it didn't change the situation. Talking with her own kind had helped her see that such transitions were inevitable and the only solution was teaching the newer generations the lessons of the past, hoping they would take the best from her knowledge and use it to build something stronger and better. She had met Egyptians and Celts that once felt as she did; they had smiled sadly with knowing ancient eyes and taught her how to cope with the loss. "So how did your father wind up in South America? Did his boat get lost?" Evalyn picked up her water and smiled innocently over the rim of the glass.

Having sampled a few pieces of the appetizers, she set down her chopsticks and let Kiyoshi finish the rest. It was a marvel watching him eat; it was the opposite of her own slow and ancient feeding habits. Kiyoshi was alive, growing and changing and that was never more apparent than when she watched him hungrily devour his food. "Do you mind me asking, can you eat vegetables or does your body not process them?" Guillaume ate things other than meat; she had seen him. It was possible that his room mate did not gain any nutrients form them but enjoyed the taste, much like vampires who continued to eat even after they no longer benefited from it. Or it could be that Kiyoshi could eat them but did not like the taste of twigs, leaves, roots and berries. They were not often on a wolf's menu that was certain.
Kiyo nodded at Evan. "I could learn if you taught me, I think," he said with a smile. Evan was always patient. Kiyo could learn more from him than just driving.

He felt stupid though immediately after, grimacing when Evan pointed out that the Japanese part of his heritage was readily obvious by his name. Of course.
"I didn't mean to imply, I mean, some people don't get it, from looking at me."

His eyes were Asian in appearance but his face was not entirely so. Most people generally assumed Kiyo was a mutt; they just didn't always guess what kind.
"I guess my tribe doesn't exist either, technically," he said with a smile and a shrug. "My mother was Mestico. Well, caboclo specifically. Did your tribe have a name?"

Mestico was the blanket Brazilian term for any native South American of mixed heritage. Their roots went back to the Incas, the Aztecs, the Mayans... no one could really say for certain who, what, or where, although in Kiyo's family, he recalled his mother telling him his ancestry was Mayan. He knew very little history from Evan's period in time... he found he couldn't have an intelligent conversation with his partner about 'way back when.' There were lots of things Kiyo could not converse intelligently about but he would have liked to learn about Evan's heritage.

He flashed Evan a quick grin as he snapped up some more sushi from the appetizer plate.
"He might have dropped an oar somewhere," he said regarding his father. "Uh... my father was a businessman. I can't, um, tell you what business. I was little. I didn't really have a grasp on that kind of thing yet. I just know he was some important bigshot."

Kiyo shrugged. He was ashamed that he couldn't really tell Evan anything else but at ten he only understood his father worked for a huge company and traveled a lot and wore expensive suits. He was almost happier to answer questions about his biology; talking about his family would only reveal bad things about him.

"I can eat them," Kiyo said, a somewhat sick expression crossing his face. "But I don't... like them. At all. Especially bread."

He actually swallowed hard at that. He lifted his glass of beer.
"This is the way grain was meant to be ingested. And green things..." Kiyo closed his eyes, shook his head, and took a huge swallow of his Sapporo as if to wash away the thought of vegetables.

"It happens to some of us," he elaborated. "I don't know why. And some go the opposite way entirely, and could never eat anything in front of us now. What about you? I mean, I know this doesn't do anything for you but it doesn't hurt you does it?"

As he spoke he used his knife and chopsticks to carefully trim away any overcooked meat on his steak. He'd asked for it rare and the chef had done an excellent job. Kiyo could eat most of it, saving the small amount of dead, cooked flesh on the outside. The inside was cool, red, and deliciously undercooked. He dug into that part with relish.
Kiyo's words about learning to drive seemed to indicate that there was a problem with learning from his foster parents. Perhaps that was the wrong assumption but Evalyn didn't see anything special about herself so it was more likely a problem with one or both of them. She nodded with a smile. They could go driving some night when they both had off. Luckily she was on familiar terms with Kiyo's boss.

Evalyn smiled and shook her head at Kiyo. "Some people don't look very closely. Its okay. Your mom could have just liked the name." Observing people and learning about them was a hobby. The quiet bartender had been interesting from the first moment he stepped into Terminus and asked for a job. Evalyn had paid close attention and obviously even more now. She shrugged about the long lost family. "The people. Outside groups tend to give you the name that sticks. The Franks became the French. The Angles became the English. Like a lot of nicknames you hope you don't get stuck with a bad one like smelly people or ugly people or something like that."

Listening to Kiyo talk about his father was hard. Evalyn tightened her hold on him as he spoke. His father was a rich, powerful and educated man and yet this person abandoned his son. He didn't have the time or interest in taking care of a less than perfect child or so it would seem. How could a person look at a scared ten year old and think of him as a monster...even if he had been a wolf for a few nights? Kiyo hadn't been a wolf when they abandoned him. He was just a frightened kid trying to understand what happened to him.

She smiled at the shade of green Kiyo became just talking about vegetables. The theory that the werewolf couldn't eat anything but meat proved to be wrong but it was obvious that his companion hated them. Kiyo said that some werewolves were like that. A perverse thought entered her head; it would be a terrible irony if bread had once been Kiyo's favorite food...before he had been bitten. She tried to remember what her's had been. Buffalo was good and corn was nice but it was hard to remember so far back.

Shaking her head, she smiled. "No, it just doesn't do anything for me." Evalyn picked up the chopsticks again and reached for one of the salmon wraps. "We don't know why but our diet is pretty specific. Unfortunately we are somewhat hard to study." Certainly they had done what research they could. Live vampires, clanless mostly. But nothing has yet turned up anything conclusive on why vampires needed blood, and only blood, to survive. Perhaps the Evenhet were further along in finding answers. Evalyn wondered who the soft hearted studied. Did they get volunteers?

She took a bite of the wrap and thought that maybe salmon had been her favorite.
Kiyo made short work of the rarest portions of his steak, devouring it happily as he listened to Evan speak. He furrowed his brow a little, curious about the idea of studying vampires.

"You... study yourselves?" It seemed unusual to him that Evan's kind might have unanswered questions about themselves. "How did you come to be, then?"

He wasn't sure if that question was all right to ask but Kiyo was, if nothing else, getting used to the idea that Evan would not take offense when Kiyo was inquisitive. If he overstepped his bounds Kiyo was pretty sure Evan would let him know kindly - Evan had never been brusque, curt, or harsh with Kiyo, and Kiyo thought perhaps Evan had reason to be. He was probably irritating to hang out with, with his lack of self esteem and his multitude of uncertainties.

Sometimes their conversations made Kiyo slightly frightened. He had no hesitations about entrusting Evan with knowledge about werewolves. Kiyo trusted Evan implicitly. Evan wanted to live peacefully with their kind; he would never use any of the knowledge Kiyo gave him to cause harm. Kiyo only hoped Evan understood the same thing about him.

His thought process led him to another question, while he left a swatch of destruction on the plates of sushi in front of them, still mindful not to eat everything out from under Evan. He might actually be satisfied, though, after this.

"Evalyn, would you mind showing me the library? There's a big one here in Nachton right? Maybe not tonight, but sometime this week?"

He looked at his partner hopefully. Kiyo was sure he could find the library himself with a few wrong turns here and there but it would be easier and so much more pleasant if Evan took him. Kiyo wasn't the strongest reader ever but he wanted to learn a few things and the library was full of knowledge, all for free. He could find what he wanted to know there.
"Of course." Evalyn laughed. "We wouldn't want the humans doing it or worse." The werewolves. "Knowledge is one of the only things of real value to be passed from generation to generation." She smiled. "Are you not curious about yourself?" She wanted to know everything she could about Kiyoshi's kind, her own, humans, animals and plants. It was all interesting and worth learning.

She reached over and took one of the pieces of cooked meat that Kiyo had cut away from his steak. It was clear that he did not want to eat them and she did not want to see it thrown away. Evalyn chewed the juicy meat thoughtfully, her eyes closed and she enjoyed the rare meal.

"I met a wolf." She began her tale. "A white one. She was being chased by several others through the woods. When I came upon them they were fighting. When Margosha slew the others their forms changed and they became men." Evalyn's eyes flickered to Kiyo. She paused and reached for another piece of meat, holding it between the two pieces of bamboo. She studied it as she spoke. "Others of my people came upon us then. They saw the bloody white wolf and killed two men and they felt she was dangerous, perhaps mad. Before they could shoot her I spoke in her defense." He had always been good with words and this time they helped him save a life. At least that had been what he thought at the time. In truth, the words probably saved the lives of his friends from the immortal. "Later she came to me as a woman but I knew that she was the wolf. Her eyes were the same. In time she offered to make me one of her own kind. And that is how I came to be." Evalyn looked up at the werewolf again and gave him a small smile and shrug. She ate the piece of meat she had been holding onto.

Kiyo's next question took her by surprise. "Sure, I can show you the library." Evalyn wished she could show him the books that Anantya possessed, some in languages that were no longer spoken, some older than the library of Alexandria, some no human had seen in thousands of years, some no human had ever seen at all written by vampire scribes. His people were not just interested in studying themselves, many were interested in studying everything. It was something to do with the long years of their lives.

"Was there something in specific you wanted to check out?"
Kiyoshi didn't miss Evan's added, 'or worse.' It took him a moment to figure out what 'worse' might be until he realized what Evan meant. His mouth formed a little 'oh' and he poked a finger at his chest. He looked quickly away from his date, determinedly stuffing his mouth full of steak. He couldn't blame Evan for his words. Kiyo's kind thought the same thing. But he hadn't really expected to hear Evan say it, quite like that. It only made it that much more real, how different their races were, how much trouble they could be in if they were discovered.

He nodded his head as he chewed, not wanting to speak with his mouth full, but his eyes lit up when Evan asked about his own curiosity. Swallowing, he said,
"Oh yes. I really am."

Kiyo bit his words off there; his hidden desires were also dangerous ones. He wondered what Evan would make of his constant hunger for medical knowledge, his dreams of someday finding a cure for the virus that made him what he was. It was too soon to disclose that. He wanted to, very much, though. In the future, maybe. Maybe Evan even knew something he didn't.

When Evan picked up the cooked steak he had discarded as overdone, Kiyo turned his plate so that Evan... well, Evalyn, really, could pick them up more easily. When she began her tale Kiyo sat quietly and listened. He'd meant to ask about how vampires in general had come into existence but this was even better. He would far rather have Evan's own personal story, and since Evan clearly did not mind telling it Kiyo just took the opportunity to eat and learn.

"So you had a choice. I'm glad," Kiyo said, smiling. It probably didn't mean anything but he was happy that Evan hadn't had this state forced upon him. He leaned over and kissed Evalyn's cheek. "I'm really glad you said yes. Is Margosha still... alive?"

Popping a piece of mackerel into his mouth Kiyo considered Evan's question about the library. It was hard for him to explain why he wanted to go so badly but he should probably try.

"There are some things you talk about," he began, "that I just don't know anything about. I want to be... smarter. I thought if I could find some books and read about the things you like I could..."

Hold Evan's interest. Keep him engaged. Kiyo didn't have any confidence in his ability to maintain a lengthy intelligent conversation with a two thousand year old vampire lover. Surely Evan would eventually find him dull and uneducated.

"I just want to be able to keep talking to you," he mumbled, his face once more betraying him and turning bright red. "I didn't go to college or anything. I just got out of high school and went out on my own."
Evalyn was happy to hear that Kiyoshi was interested in his own people. He had not been made of his own choice and often he did not seem very comfortable with himself.

She smiled at Kiyo when she was done talking. "Yes, I had a choice." Evalyn picked up another piece of steak. Her smile fell at his question. "No, she was killed." In a quiet voice she added. "There was a meeting between her and some werewolves, a group of vampires, not happy with the truce, came upon them and killed them all. They did not realize that Margosha was one of their own until she became ash."

The aftermath had shown her tracks in wolf form. She had come upon the fight in progress and had tried to stop it. She had leapt toward someone, perhaps to push them away from one they were attacking. Another vampire had thought she was trying to kill his partner and had not taken the time to see she was smaller than any werewolf save a pup.

Putting another piece of steak in her mouth, she chewed it slowly. Her Creator died for what she believed in and if there was vengeance or justice that had needed to be served...Mahesh had taken care of that. There was nothing left but to continue what she started.

Evalyn looked up when Kiyoshi explained his reasons for wanting to go to the library. She sat her chopsticks down and reached over and wrapped her arms around him. Kissing him on the cheek, Evalyn smiled. "I think you are very smart." Kiyo had plenty of common sense from what she had seen Educated people could be quite stupid but that was an entirely different matter. "Everyone should learn new things but you should learn things that you are interested in learning." She shrugged her shoulders slightly. "If they happen to be the same things then that's good but if not then you can tell me what you've learned and perhaps teach me something new." She gave him a tight squeeze and a smile. "Or we could find something neither of us knows that we both want to learn and take classes together. Would you want to do that?"
Kiyo swallowed his fish as Evalyn's cheerful face fell. Kiyo tried to think about how he would feel in Evan's place. He shook his head and gently rested his hand on his companion's shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he said. "It must be difficult to lose one of your own. It can't happen often. Particularly not in that way."

It seemed like an unfortunate form for a vampire to take, that of their mortal enemy.
"I guess... you can't choose your strengths any more than we can. You just have to use what you get."

Kiyoshi didn't have a lot of occasion to use his own abilities. His keen senses, well, he used them all the time. For everything. But the others, well, not usually. he hadn't really told Evan anything he could do. It didn't seem relevant. He didn't mind however. If his lover was interested Kiyo would discuss it.

He suddenly found himself in a warm embrace after admitting his reason for wanting to find the library. Unashamed, he cuddled into it and rested his head upon Evan's shoulder.

"I'm not smart," he mumbled softly, "and I am interested in you. Everything about you."

He didn't read very fast, particularly in English, but he could make it through books and wanted to. Evan's next suggestion was met with a little tremor of happiness.
"You would want to do that... with me?"

He squeezed his eyes closed for a moment and wrapped his arm around Evalyn's waist.
"I would like that. But what could you possibly want to learn?"

Evan could pick any topic; Kiyo knew nothing. So long as Evan didn't decide on poi spinning, juggling, or bartending Kiyo was likely not to know a thing about it. He would like a lot of things. Anything from sports to a writing class or math or science. He would feel so smart if he could pass a science class.

"I need to practice English," he said. He spoke it fluently, obviously, but he did not read or write it terribly well. That was what a life of constant travel could do to you.

Sitting back up Kiyo smiled a little tentatively at Evalyn
. "I still want to go to the library." He was still afraid Evan would tire of him. It was silly of him; they hadn't made each other any promises but Kiyo wanted to stay with Evan for as long as he could. He'd never had it so good in his life. He didn't care who or what Evan was; all Kiyo knew was he felt cared for and it had been missing in his heart for so long he would rather die than miss it again. The least he could do was make sure Evan's partner was reasonably intelligent.
Evalyn nodded but didn't add anything further. It was not just that Margosha was one of his own; it was that she was her Creator and the only ones he would ever have. She had been her guide and her counselor, her mate for a time and most certainly her closest companion and friend and then she was on her own.

She shrugged. "No, we don't get to choose. I do find that our abilities tend to help us or in some way reflect our personalities. In a normal circumstance no vampire would have mistaken her for a werewolf. She was too small. Margosha probably should have not have rushed in. Had she stayed out of the fight they would not have killed her...but she was not the type to stand by and watch someone be murdered." They had not been her friends; she had barely known the werewolves but it was her word that had brought them there and they had been innocent of any crime other than being what they were.

Kiyoshi said again that he wasn't smart. Evalyn pinched him on the arm. "You are. Perhaps you have not had all the schooling opportunities that other people have had but you are smart and all the books in the world can't teach people common sense so you're lucky you already possess it." A person like Kiyo could learn a lot and still have enough practicality to get in out of the rain.

Nodding again at the idea of taking a class together, Evalyn picked up another piece of steak and considered what she wanted to learn. "Hmm, We could learn a new language together, or yoga, or dance classes." It would have to be something other than ballroom because she knew those already. "an instrument? or...Business management." She reached over and took a long swallow of her water before adding. "That one doesn't sound thrilling but it would be useful at work." Evalyn could even go as Evan without causing a fuss. It made sense for the owner of Terminus to want more business classes and Kiyoshi might want a larger leadership role further down the line. "Or whatever you like. We could even take a course in Egyptian pottery if you wanted."

"You do?" Kiyo seemed to speak English very well so it was a surprise to hear that he needed to work on it more. She considered that and then asked. "What kind of books do you like to read? We could read together so that we could both discuss the story." Good books were so much better when there were people to discuss them with, especially ones that made you think. Curling up in bed and listening to Kiyoshi read sounded pretty enjoyable...a bit distracting, clothes might be required to stay focused but she thought she could manage for a chapter a night.

"We can still go to the library. On the way home from the arcade if you like. We can at least sign you up for a card." She snatched up a piece of sushi and paused before putting it into her mouth. "Or we could go to the library now and save the arcade for another time. Its not like we don't have access to plenty of games if we wanted to play them."