Diving In (open)

Julian looked around the jazz bar, smiling. It was a really nice place. The air was smoky but that was all right. There were dim blue lights cutting through the smoke and he could see the floor was packed with enthusiastic dancers. A gentle swing was playing and it felt like he'd stepped right into a movie.

A huge black man greeted him as he entered the club and Julian smiled and gave him a wave. He found his way to an empty table at the back, one of the only ones that was empty. The club, Shades', was definitely swinging, in every way.

Julian tapped his foot to the music and didn't have long to wait before a waitress showed up and asked him what he'd like. He ordered a scotch, neat, and sat back. He had nowhere to go tonight or tomorrow and he hadn't had a drink in a day or two. He didn't have rehearsal until the day before next, and there were no concerts to give. It crossed his mind that he'd been drinking a lot lately, but he didn't see anything wrong with it.

He leaned forward on his elbows and sipped at his scotch when it came, watching the band play and enjoying the music.

Jan 12 years ago
Jan accepted his glass of wine from the bar and then looked around the crowded place for somewhere to sit. The options were slim. He then perused the places that were occupied and tried to find someone that might be tolerable. He wanted to enjoy the music and too much chatter ruined that...so looking at the solo people who looked like an incessant talker? The chick by herself was looking more at the crowd and less at the musicians. Not good. He thought about joining one woman who seemed to be enjoying the music. She appeared to be alone but then a man crossed the room and sat down. Damn.

There was one man who seemed to be enjoying the atmosphere of the place. He was looking around the club but he was not focusing on the people and he seemed at least interested in the musicians. Jan crossed the room, pulled out a chair and then sat down. Giving the man a charming smile, he asked after the fact.

"Mind if I join you?

He looked around the room and then back at the man already seated at the table across from him.

"There aren't many options for solo seating which seriously hinders my soulful brooding."

Leaning forward, he smiled slightly, inclined his head, and touched a hand to his chest. "Jan"
Damaris 12 years ago
She was making some progress with her leads, not much but some. Damaris had gotten sick of playing nice though, that was her brother/father's game not hers. If something didn't shake loose soon, she was going to play her way.

But tonight she was taking the night off. No more brick walls and dead ends. Ambrose had told her about Shades so she knew it was no hunting. What she didn't know if her youngest was playing tonight. Well she'd find out soon enough.

She'd been looking for an empty table and got jostled into a table as another couple rushed the floor. Righting herself was relieved to note that she only bumped the table and not its patrons or their drinks.

"Sorry about that. Did I cause any irreparable damage?"

She smiled broadly at the young men genuinely apologetic but not groveling.
Julian Stephenson 12 years ago
Julian looked up as he was joined by a guy who looked way too young to be here, but who had to at least have good ID or he wouldn't have gotten through the door. He obligingly slid his chair over a bit, just a formality as there was plenty of room at this table.

"Be my guest," he said with a smile, noting that the guy was doing just that. Julian didn't mind, it was crowded here and with good reason. The scotch was good, the music was great, and the overall mood was unique and enjoyable.

Laughing softly at the woeful reason for need a solo seating option Julian felt his smile widen into a grin.
"Well feel free to be soulfully brooding in a partially solitary environment. I'll do my best to pretend I don't know you."

Not a difficult task. But Julian reached out his hand to shake and said,
"Nice to meet you. I'm Julian."

Before they could actually shake hands they were interrupted when a shapely woman with black hair was jostled into their table. Julian, who was already holding his scotch, shook his head at her when she apologized.

"Not your fault," he said. "No harm, no foul."

He turned back to Jan to make sure nothing had been spilled there, either. but everyone seemed fine. It was bound to happen in a place as crowded and lively as this.
Jan 12 years ago
Jan smiled, and then remembered he was supposed to be soulfully brooding; so he put on his best falsely somber expression.

"A pleasure to not make your acquaintance then, Julian." Jan did smile then and transferred his wine to the other hand so that he could reach over and shake the one offered to him.

"We sound like relatives, a married couple or a nice folk band."

The hand shake was stalled as someone bumped against the table. Jan checked his drink out of habit and found that it had remained, thankfully, in the glass. This wasn't the place for a bar brawl and he really wasn't in the mood for it anyway.

Jan looked at the drink, his shirt, his pants, and then back up at the woman. "Nope, looks like we'll survive."

He turned back to Julian and set his drink down on the table, casting a quick glance at the woman to make sure it would be safe for the moment, before spreading his hands out over an imaginary marquis.

"Jan and Julian playing live at the Met! Bring your grandparents for a wild good time and hear 'Hometown Road' like you've never heard it played before."

Taking a sip of his wine, Jan shrugged, "What do you think? Care to be famous?"

The beginnings of a song began to stir in his head, Jan took another swallow of his drink and tried to ignore it. It would either fade away or become something more tangible that he couldn't ignore.
Damaris 12 years ago
"Oh good I just got her I'd hate to get thrown out right away."

From what she'd heard this was not the place to start a rumble, not that she would mind. A good fight might help work out some of her frustration with this project. Maybe tomorrow she'd find something leather and start a fight.

Apparently she'd missed some opening banter but she wasn't afraid to jump in. With a grin and a laugh she shook her head.

"I think you might want to reconsider this plan. I can't see you filling arenas."

About then a server came by and asked what she wanted.

"Would you gents mind if I joined you as well? I could be a roadie or a groupie or something, at least until they bring my drink."
Julian laughed at Jan. "I like folk. I could see it happening, and yes, I'd love to be famous."

The lady with the black hair apparently had more to say, and Julian raised his eyebrows at her. It was an interesting comment to make, considering she didn't know either of them.

"You don't?" He asked, sipping at his scotch. "But for all you know I could be a concert violinist and Jan here could be the next Beethoven."

Julian felt a wave of amusement. He had played in front of many a sold out crowd even in his short time as a performer. It wasn't a far stretch to think of an arena. And Irish folk music was still folk music, even if it wasn't exactly what Jan had meant.

Julian waved a hand at the table.
"Sit, by all means," he invited with a smile. "As you no doubt heard I'm Julian and this nice guy here is Jan. And we haven't gone into business together yet."
Jan 12 years ago
Jan raised his eyebrows at the woman as she decided to break into the conversation and nay say his mock path to stardom. Turning an amused expression upon Julian, he answered the man's retort.

"Pfft, Beethoven has nothing on me." The lyrics were still nagging at him. He took another swallow of his drink and tried not to look irritated when the woman joined their table. It was not his so it was not like he could complain but it seemed that maybe he should have picked the table with the woman looking to score after all. He could have lulled her to sleep and then enjoyed the music without interruption. 'Shouldn't have been so damned lazy.'

Julian introduced them both so he nodded by way of greeting.

"So, Master Violinist, Are you willing to slum it with a rock band? We could be a youtube hit. All the fame and none of the agents to gauge us for marketing our image." Jan grinned at Julian. He wondered what the man really did for a living. He could, in fact, be a concert violinist and that would be great. Jan had been looking for a violinist for the band. His friend, Evgeni played but it was going to require more coaxing to get the stubborn Romanov to even consider 'slumming' it with goth band. They had jammed together a few times back at the Domicile; which is what got him to thinking about a violinist in the first place but Evgeni was not a fan of the HoP and Jan couldn't really blame him. The House of Pain had overtones that reminded the blond of Sofia.

He turned to the woman who had joined them. "As the unofficial president of our fan club, what do you think of this plan? Should we go viral?"
Damaris 12 years ago
"Talent isn't always enough to fill an arena you have to have mass market material too... ask a bluegrass artist."

Damaris grinned. It might have its roots in the music of her homeland but the stuff could grate on your nerves. She didn't know a soul who could listen to it for hours on end.

"Damaris. A pleasure."

She ordered her drink, an iced tea but was very specific that it wasn't supposed to be a Long Island or Three Mile Island or any other kind of 'island' or otherwise alcoholic. That was a problem she'd run into in bars before and one she tried to avoid now.

Seated comfortably in a chair she kept half an ear on the conversation the men were having but didn't intrude any further. Her drink came and she sniffed it and sipped it carefully to make sure it was safe. It was and she was for the moment content.

The guys were apparently hatching a plan and she grinned at her new job.

"Sure, why not every one is doing it. But only one or two cuts or you'll just be giving it away for free and no one wants to be cheap and easy. One or the other is fine but both is the kiss of death."
"Oh yeah? Awesome," Julian responded to Jan's claim with an easy grin. he wasn't a skeptic by nature. Clearly they were just joking around having a good time, but hey, if Jan was the next Beethoven Julian was thrilled to meet him.

Julian didn't feel like being argumentative; after all if he was a concert violinist and jan was Beethoven, maybe this woman - Damaris - was the most successful agent in the US. He had, however, seen several bluegrass bands fill an arena. Or the concert stage. It wasn't that there was no support for it; just that it tended to be a more eclectic group.

"Nice to meet you Damaris."

Jan's question took Julian by surprise. So... maybe the guy was a musician after all. He looked young but Julian was hardly going to judge a book by its cover. He'd been better than people expected when he'd been in school too. He didn't particularly want to get stuck doing high school gigs in someone's basement, but he was free to play where he wanted outside the symphony.

Julian listened with raised eyebrows as Damaris ordered a very specific order, vehemently insisting the drink be a plain iced tea with nothing added, no alcohol, in such a way as to make Julian wonder what she had against the poor waitress who was just nodding her head repeatedly. When Damaris had ordered, Julian caught the waitress's eye and simply ordered another scotch... without the long list of requirements behind it.

Turning back to Jan Julian grinned.
"Slumming with a rock band happens to be a specialty of mine. Are you interested in a classical violin, or electric?"

It was much more difficult to get a decent sound out of his Fein in an electric setting but he could. He had an electric violin, however, if that was what Jan wanted. He figured the answer would determine whether or not Jan was just joking around. Obviously, Julian was game.

His scotch arrived and he knocked back the last of his first one and handed the empty glass to the waitress.

"Depends on whether or not you're going for fame, or cold hard cash," he said with a grin to Damaris. "Youtube works just fine for the first. Not so sure about the second."
Jan 12 years ago
Apparently the guy really was a concert violinist. Jan raised his eyebrows and chuckled softly at the thought of slumming it as a specialty. Julian asked for specifics and he considered for a moment.

"It would depend on the piece but the electric would probably be better for the live shows." He smiled at Julian. "I am the lead singer and keyboards for Nox Æternus. They play at the HoP and other local venues from time to time." Jan shrugged with a small smile. It was not his crowning achievement in life. If he could manage daylight events then he could easily have been famous...of course if he could manage daylight then he'd have already been dead several hundred years ago.

Jan considered pulling the whole Michael Jackson aversion to sun card but he figured it helped to be extremely famous before becoming wildly eccentric. He could make it a part of the whole goth themed persona and people would assume it was just some vampire schtick and most would have no real clue how true that was. Of course, some people knew about vampires and did not think very highly of them and they would check. He suspected that, unlike Lestat, he wouldn't be saved from a certain and very public doom but some ancient vampire queen. Jan was pretty sure Ellis hadn't been a queen and he was not entirely sure she liked him enough to risk her life anyway. She was the oldest vampire from his clan that he knew though so his chances of survival were slim. Youtube sensation sounded more possible.
"I am not cheap and rarely easy." Jan smiled at the woman who had been handed an ice tea sans alcohol. "Famous first, then rich. I doubt it would work the other way around for musicians. Just so long as we're rich before we die." Long before in his case.
Damaris 12 years ago
Not exactly an optimist she was still up for turning things around a bit. If he did play she'd hate to see the talent belittled.

"You could think of it as classing up the band rather than slumming it."

Oh she apparently had stumbled on to a real conversation here. Damaris' musical skills were limited. She could carry a tune better than others but not so well as others. And she could play an instrument or two but not truly well and she made no effort to practice or improve. They had just helped to pass the time and entertain herself and others in earlier days. But she did love music.

The House of Pain, really? She took in Jan's young appearance and that little revelation and raised her eyebrows.

"I'm rather new in town, I've not been in the House of Pain yet. No idea they had live music."

She hated the who was who dance. Some day she was just going to start introducing herself as Damaris Hunnisett, vampire.

She chuckled a bit about 'cheap and easy'.

"A philosophy I subscribe to myself. Although easy does have its place. But it sounds like we are agreed on a youtube sensation. Shall I invest in studio time or just a webcam?"

She addressed boy young men together.
Julian shrugged at Damaris. "It's neither," he said, giving his honest opinion. "The presence of an instrument won't make the music any better or worse. Music is music, and it's completely subjective." He looked at Jan. "What I meant, though, was that using a violin in non-traditional ways is a specialty. I enjoy it."

The name of Jan's band made it sound sort of heavy metal/punk/gothic or something. Julian was interested; he was about to ask what the HoP was until Damaris unintentionally answered it for him.

"The House of Pain?"

It didn't sound like a carnival ride.

Either way this could potentially be fun; Julian had played with one or two bands since arriving in Nachton but they'd been somewhat mediocre and hadn't had a clear musical goal in mind. Julian wasn't a snob. The musicians he played with didn't need to be world class. They did have to have an identity though, for him to enjoy himself. Especially when trying to integrate an instrument like a violin into it. Knowing and understanding the group's style was important and if they themselves didn't know, Julian's job was damn near impossible.

Shelving his train of thought he smiled at Damaris.
"It wouldn't be convincing for Youtube if we did it in a studio. The whole website charm is that it's impromptu and based in someone's garage or living room or whatever."

Julian was pretty sure Youtube sensations didn't usually have studio time. That was supposed to come after.
Jan 12 years ago
Jan opened his mouth to say something about the 'classing' up of his band but Julian started speaking. He took a swallow of his wine instead and nodded his agreement. He was really starting to like this guy; perhaps it was a good thing he sat down here after all. "I agree. Though there is some music that is very difficult to appreciate." He smirked and lifted a shoulder. "But to each their own.""The House of Pain has live music from time to time from bands that suit its nature." Jan turned to Julian and answered him truthfully...more or less. "Its a vampire night club." He smiled. "You know, a lot people wearing black clothes, pale make up, and fangs. Its..." Jan paused, not sure how to best phrase this warning. "a little less friendly than most goth clubs. It has a reputation for being a tough place."

Looking down at himself and then back up at the two others at the table, he added.
"I fight dirty." He didn't look like much, not even old enough to get into the place without a fake ID.

"So a shaky camera video it is then. Definitely lends a touch of authenticity."

Turning back to the previous conversation, he said.
"If you want to hear the band and see the HoP then we can meet some time and I'll bring you with me. You can hear us practice before it starts to get too loud in there." If the guy was with him then he could keep an eye on him. The House of Pain was no place for the uninitiated to have a solo adventure.
Damaris 12 years ago
Ah a true artist, both of them. Damaris raised her iced tea in silent salute, acknowledging their positions positions. She could respect that. Perhaps though she'd just leave the musical opinions to the boys tonight through. Some days you had to respect that you were an amateur and stay out of the way of the pros.

Well that was one way to explain the HoP and it was good enough. Silently she wished Julian luck if he wandered in there alone. Granted she had no proof other than he'd asked what the House of Pain was but her guess was human. Of course, it was always safer to assume human than vampire.

She sized Jan up as she would an opponent and had no doubt about the truth of his fighting dirty. She even had a couple inches on him, and you took what advantages you would. Of course that was true regardless of size.

"Oh I think we can manage that and some wonderfully amateurish wipes."

As she planned on inviting herself to the HoP Damaris kicked back with her iced tea and let them plan an outing. She kept a polite amount of attention on the conversation but didn't want to interfere.
Julian coughed softly into his scotch tumbler. "Polka," he said as he coughed, making it clear what word he was hacking out. He had no appreciation for polka. In fact, given the amount of appreciation he lacked, one might say he had negative appreciation for it which must mean... yes. Julian hated polka music.

He listened to Jan describe the House of Pain. It didn't exactly sound like his style but Julian was open to experimentation. He had lived a fairly sheltered life. He did realize that. Oldest son, only son, sister not in the picture anymore... Julian hadn't ever been the wild child. He doubted many kids who aspired to be concert violinists were.

"I think I could get on board with that," he said thoughtfully. "I'd have to dress up in something that isn't a tux, huh," he grinned at the idea. Julian would admit to a certain flair for showmanship. Most people in his business did. Hopefully Jan could steer him toward something appropriate for the venue.

He realized he was already making plans, but why not? Jan seemed interested and if he really did want a violinist for his band Julian was definitely up for the challenge. He did look down at himself skeptically, though, when it was considered a tough place. He wasn't ripped but he was in decent enough shape he supposed. However...

"I don't fight at all," he shrugged at Jan and Damaris both. "They don't make violinists Ford tough. I'll just stay out of trouble."

Then he realized he hadn't been entirely honest with Jan. He held up a finger.
"Ah," he said, "but if I did play with you it'd have to be when I don't have a rehearsal or a performance. I'm contracted to the Nachton Symphony for the next few years."
Jan 12 years ago
Jan shuddered at the cough word and closed his eyes. "I don't know how that music became associated with Octoberfest but it kills a little piece of my Austrian heart every time." He took a sip of his wine and said. "Perhaps the music is there to make you want to drink more beer. If that's so then it is probably quite successful ."

He looked at Julian thoughtfully, tilting his head and closing one eye as he peered at the man.
"You could rock a tux if you have one that was suitably old fashioned. Victorian is quite popular though that seems to require some eyeliner and badly dyed black hair."

Leaning back, Jan said.
"Leather is seen often but you might not want to play with that crowd or give the impression that you do." The guy was kind of cute and it would not be a stretch to think someone would try to pick him up if Julian wore the wrong accessories which might give the impression that he was into a certain lifestyle. It would be a certainly interesting introduction to the HoP.
"Got anything that you'd wear to a rave?" He shrugged. "You just don't want to look like some little rich boy in there sight seeing. That's pretty much begging to get messed with."

Jan chuckled and nodded in agreement, staying out of trouble was the best option.

Julian gave his caveats on when he couldn't play, confirming that he was, indeed, a concert violinist; though that had been made pretty clear by parts of the discussion already.

"It's okay. I think we'll manage if you only guest star occasionally. We'll just have to muddle through without the classy."
Julian laughed at Jan's theory. "It sure does the trick, yeah. I know I'd drink more."

That said, he did order himself a third scotch. He was feeling the first two but his tolerance was pretty good; a solid buzz was welcome tonight. Julian regarded Jan as the younger man looked at him critically.
"Really old school, huh," he said. "I could do that. But whatever fits with the group."

Jan continued to offer suggestions and Julian, though dubious, was not unwilling to try them.
"I guess I'm a pretty boring dresser," he said, shaking his head. "I can buy a few things though. So, grunge, goth, punk, lots of black, don't part my hair on the side unless it's going to be combed artfully over a heavily-lined eye. Yes?"

He waited for Jan's approval but he was already interested enough in both the offer and the venue. It was the last place you'd expect someone to bust out a violin, from the sounds of it. That made it extra appealing.

Julian nodded at Jan and offered him a shrug about being stuck without classy; Julian understood the humor and was pretty sure Jan understood his take on it too.
"Oh," he said, snapping his fingers. "Do you have an album I can listen to? Something actually on youtube? That way I can get a feel for your sound before we try it out."

He glanced at the woman, Damaris, who had remained silent, but she was occupied with the crowd. Julian was sorry not to have engaged her attention more but she wasn't necessarily here to engage in conversation and clearly neither Jan nor Julian was about to take her out to the dance floor.
Jan 12 years ago
"Really old school with campy vampire movie overtones, yes." Jan laughed and shrugged. "Sometimes the band goes that way or the leather and straps and things. The only constant seems to be a lot of black." He gestured to himself and smiled. "Its slimming."

Jan listened to Julian's list of dressing do's and don'ts and then nodded solemnly.
"That sums it up. There are more rules for the twitchy goth nazis but those never mattered to me. I wear what I want and if it breaks one of their rules... well, then I am a trend setter."

He nodded at the violinist's last request.
"Yeah, I am sure there are some fan made youtube videos out there already." Jan shuddered to think what quality those might be. "But I have a couple of cd's in the car if you'd like to hear them."

Catching the attention of their waitress as she passed, Jan requested another glass of wine and then looked back at Julian.
Damaris 12 years ago
Damaris was happy to keep an ear on the conversation and watch the band. The gents didn't seem to need her input right then and there and she had invited herself to sit with them. Although she didn't understand the aversion to polka, it was easy to dance to and it was also easy to tune out.

It was a funny bit of serendipity that these two had run into each other tonight. Really she did wish them well in their little endeavor. The dress code did fascinate her though. Damaris knew without a doubt that Ambrose didn't play by those rules, but he could handle himself if push came to shove.

She didn't want to interrupt the flow of conversation but the 'trend setter' comment made her chuckle into her iced tea. She found that she was curious about the sound of this band that was recruiting from the symphony.

"Now, now, give your fans some credit, you can do remarkable things with cell phones these days. I'm sure some of the youtube offerings are passable."

Well video wise, lord only knew about the sound and that was the entire point for a band wasn't it?
Julian laughed at Jan's claim to need slimming clothing. He was pretty sure there was no need for such; Jan looked plenty slim. He glanced down at himself and shrugged. "I could stand to lose a few pounds myself. I'll take the black."

That wasn't strictly true either; Julian was young enough to still have crazy metabolism. He wasn't exactly bursting with muscle, and maybe, just maybe, he was a tiny bit soft around the edges... a bum leg and many many hours in a rehearsal chair tended to do that. But he did pay attention to his looks... and yeah, a pound or five gone would not be a bad thing.

Laughing softly again, he raised his glass at the self-labeled trend-setter. Julian liked this guy. Whether his band was talented or not, at least their lead singer seemed to have a passion for music that was more than "omg I'm an emo kid and music is my liiiiiiiiiiiiiife." Julian liked that, liked talking music when he wasn't playing it. If they hadn't just met, he'd be tempted to suggest an impromptu jam session. Hell, he was tempted anyway.

"I don't know, cell phones might be able to capture reasonable video but sound quality? Who can say."

Still, it would be good to see what everyone had chosen to wear, what their venues tended to look like. Even with questionable video he should be able to see.

"That aside though, if you have a few CDs yeah, I'd love to hear them. At least before I head out for the night."

The more they talked, the more he was looking forward to trying out this new opportunity. When Jan gave him a questioning look Julian considered. He was going to stop after his third scotch... but what the hell. He was off tomorrow. He nodded and raised his glass before knocking the rest of it back. This would be his last one.