A brownstone

Ellis narrowed her eyes at the rather innocuous row of brownstones. Looking down at the note in her hand, she read the address and then looked back up at the brownstone in front of her. Flicking the piece of paper in her hand, she stood silently on the stoop, trying to get a sense of the neighborhood.

She did not recognize this neighborhood as anything other than a middle class type area. The address yielded no information, other than the builder and some shell name that held the property. It was a house. That's it.

So why did this note come to her while she was out and about, hunting near the House of Pain?

Climbing the steps, Ellis let her eyes take in the surrounding area. The street was quiet. The brownstones had the obligatory heartbeats of tenants and the chatter of presumably humans performing their nightly ritual. It was just past dusk and the night had seeped into the day, coloring it with its darkness. With a shrug, Ellis knocked on the front door.

The door opened immediately and revealed the smiling face of a rather dark skinned man. Holding the note up, Ellis narrowed her eyes at him, forgoing the pretense of politeness.

"Miss Duban. My name is Oringo Ramsey. Won't you come in, please?"

Oringo Ramsey 12 years ago
Ringo took a step back from the heavy opened door and held his hand out, beckoning Ellis Duban further into the brownstone. Her suspicious watery green eyes did a quick appraisal of him, then looked deeper into the brownstone.

"It's just me."

The vampires had their own developed sense of 'smell', something called perception, in addition to their heightened hearing and sight - Ringo knew this. He knew Ellis more than likely already detected the sheathed silver knife that was nestled comfortably along the small of his back, but he was alone. He had seen to that.

Ellis Duban pushed her shoulders back with confidence and strode inside the brownstone without a lick of fear. What did she have to fear against one werewolf? Inwardly he shrugged and gently closed the door behind her.

"I'd like to thank you for coming -"

"Dispense with the pleasantries, Mr. Ramsey. I could care less." Ellis cut him off without looking back at him. She moved down the hallway and stopped at the first room on the right - a living room. "What do you want?"

Following her, he passed her at the opening of the living room and entered. On the coffee table located in front of a overstuffed love seat was a computer tablet. Next to the tablet was an opened bottle of 2001 Tenuta Dell'Ornellaia.

"I come with a proposition. One that would benefit my employer as well as your needs. Would you like a glass? It's very nice." Pouring the Ornellaia, the full bodied red wine was a deep, beautiful red in the crystal wine glass. Holding it out to her, he let his face smooth over to a stoic slab of granite. He was being polite because his mother always taught him to be, but if she did not appreciate it, he would not pretend.

Ellis took the glass from him without hesitating, but did not drink from it. "What do you have that you think I can't get for myself, Mr. Ramsey?" Her tone sounded humored but annoyed.

"Why, Carol Hedley's death, of course."
Ellis Duban 12 years ago
Ellis almost dropped her wine glass. With a deep breath, she regained her composure and put the wine glass down on the coffee table.

"Why...?"

"Because we know you can't. Because of your clan's Leader."

A shudder of annoyance rippled down her spine. Tacharan was hers, by right, and this Ramsey character was only making his death that much more painful. But he was right. If Ellis had her way, Carol would have been a stain on the pavement a long time ago. It didn't matter if Carol cast Simon out of her life; it was the principal of the deed. It had been Carol that Simon went to behind Ellis' back. Carol that warmed Simon's bed. Carol that Simon missed, still, to this day. But there was no harming Carol, despite the absolute need to do so.

"Why?" Ellis asked again, in a low and calculating voice.

Oringo Ramsey poured himself a glass of red wine and took a sip, rolling the liquid in his mouth. He was tall, almost as tall as Simon, and his skin was a deep, pure black she hadn't seen in some time. Ellis recognized the caricaturisation tattoos on his face, but it didn't mar the sheer handsomeness of the man.

"My employer has been functioning within the city for some time now. He sees what the city is, who runs it, and those who run it for them. He sees you as a potential ally and employing myself and my team to dispose of one human is...well, a gift. For you."

A gift, Ellis thought. Ok.

"I'm flattered that your employer would do this thing for me, but I can't help but be a little insulted."

Why did men not see the potential of a woman's wrath? Why was it always about jealousy? Carol was nothing to her, and from what she could tell, nothing to Simon anymore. Still, she had stayed her hand because Simon would have reacted badly to Ellis seeking her retribution. But for another outsider to offer up the death of a human. Wait...

"You called Carol a human."

Ramsey grinned, "That I did."

"Then what are you?"
Ringo shrugged, giving her a wide, toothy grin. "I'm just a friend, Miss Duban."

"Really," Ellis replied, not at all convinced by her tone.

Ringo watched as she reached into her soft leather jacket and pulled out her cigarettes. Her green eyes twinkled with humor as she tapped out a cigarette and tucked it in between her soft, red lips. When she pulled out her lighter, he was not surprised.

The putrid smell of silver hit him like a train wreck, but he held his composure - he had since gotten used to the taint of the metal, carrying it around and keeping it close on him for decades now. Death wish? Perverse sense of humor? Whatever. Ringo put his hands behind his back and laced his fingers.

"Light a girl, will ya?"

Ellis tossed the silver lighter in the air and Ringo watched as it traveled across the room, the overhead lights twinkling brightly off the shiny coat. Turning to the side, Ringo kept his hands behind his back, but let the lighter sail past him.

He looked at it as it lay on the ground. Licking his lips, he flicked his eyes back to the vampire.

"Aren't you clever," he said in a monotone voice.
Ellis Duban 12 years ago
Well, well.

Ellis dragged her bottom lip into her mouth and chewed it on softly. "Yup," she replied softly. Her mind began to race - what did the werewolves want with her? And why, in god's name, would they want to curry favor with her?

"Your employer...."

"I'm not at liberty to reveal their identity."

"Of course not."

Oringo Ramsey brought his hands forward and he laced his fingers together in front of him. He was wearing fitted cream colored trousers and an embroidered vest that revealed his smooth, hairless chest. Ellis wondered if he shaved since he was completely bald. In fact, there was nary a hair on the man; he was even missing eyebrows.

Ellis' eyes narrowed in thought. "So are you part of Mr. Hammerthynn's pack?"

She watched the flash of disgust and bitterness cross Mr. Ramsey's face. It was gone as quickly as it had appeared, but Ellis tucked that knowledge away for a rainy day.

"No, he is not part of my pack."

Interesting choice of words there, Ellis thought. "So you're part of Vivienne Sena's? The Vyusher R'asa."

Sometimes it was just too fucking easy. The multitude of expressions that crossed Ramsey's face was unbelievable. The little bit of damage that one question Ellis posed was worth years of emotional wrangling of someone's soul. He didn't even try to hide it, it shocked him so badly.

So what was a Vyusher R'asa werewolf doing, with presumably another VR as his employer, coming to Ellis with a proposition to kill her man's ex-girlfriend? The ease of it was ridiculous and she saw absolutely no reason why someone would go out of their way to kill a silly human who, at best, might have ruined her day. Carol could not compete, not any longer. Ellis had Simon, balls to bones - their bond was proof of that. Yes, there was the pesky mutt Vivienne, but she obviously did not want Simon if she was with the Piper Commander. Simon would not be trying so hard if Vivienne had given in during their trip.

So why?

"Thank you for the offer, Mr. Ramsey." She ignored his shocked reaction, forgoing even an answer. "But if I need people killed, I'd rather do it myself. More fun that way."
Ringo ran his tongue over his canines and felt them throb with the wolf in him. Was the Duban woman speaking the truth about Vivienne Sena? He knew absolutely nothing of Vivienne prior to her appearing in Nachton not too long after Ringo and his Nakubili had arrived. His employer's contact within the Kadzait had not spoken of her and he had to wonder why he had been left in the dark. Retribution maybe - it was distracting.

His eyes focused on Ellis as she politely declined his offer. Yes, he was there for another reason. Putting on a polite face, Ringo nodded his head and reached out to her.

Ellis looked at his hand for a moment; a repulsed sneer was in place before she reluctantly shook his hand.

"Pleasure then, Miss Duban. Maybe in the future."

"I doubt it, Mr. Ramsey." Ellis turned to leave.

"Your lighter?" Ringo turned his head in the direction of the bit of silver.

"Keep it. Something to remember me by, Mr. Ramsey. If we meet again, it won't be under polite circumstances."

Ringo let his face color with anger at her casual threat and he watched her turn away. The door clicked softly with her exit, leaving Ringo to consider what had just transpired. Reaching down to the table, he picked up a wine red dinner cloth and retrieved the silver lighter. Slipping it into his pocket, he stopped and pulled it back out again. A mischievous smile grew on his dark brown lips. He placed the silver lighter, upright and centered on the coffee table. He washed and returned the wine glasses back to the kitchen curio cabinet, cleaning the counter tops, righting everything to its exact position.

Exiting back out to the formal living room, Ringo picked up his laptop just as the front door clicked open again. It was his Second who stood at the entryway. He lifted the laptop and handed it to him without looking.

"We have everything we need. Make sure everything is put back in its place."

"Done. What now?"

Ringo finally turned and looked at his Second. "Well now I figure out why we have a Rasa sister impregnated with a Piper's baby."

His Second narrowed his eyes at Ringo. "That's not a priority right now."

Ringo reached out and grabbed his Second by his shirt collar and employed his frightening visage to its maximum. Lord knows what his Second saw, but it was enough to make the man cowl and whimper.

"We find out...why Vivienne Sena...is rolling in the dirt with those Kadzait idiots. This is our MAIN priority. Is that clear?"

Ringo didn't wait for an answer. He shoved his Second back hard enough to put the man on the ground and exited the brownstone.

There was somewhere he needed to be that evening.

OOC - All out