Roughing It

Nikhila wasn't much of a shopper, she didn't really enjoy it. But it was a good excuse to get off the grounds. Yes she was happy here, very happy and she'd never leave Aidan and Noah but Nikhila still needed to move, see new things. Granted wandering the strip looking for new shoes wasn't a grand adventure, but she would take what she could get.

There was nothing wrong with the mall, but Nikhila preferred smaller stores. She'd also heard that there were yoga classes offered here. With Noah tucked comfortably into his stroller she pushed the door open. She noticed the absence of a bell on the door but also that the store was neat and tidy, obviously the owner took pride in their establishment.

Leaning over the stroller she offered Noah her hand to grab a finger, he opted to grab her hair and pull. For five months old he had a good tug, she was going to have to start wearing her hair back more. Gently removing her hair from her son's grip she kissed his hand and smiled.

"Shall we find mommy some shoes?"

She limited the baby talk, preferring to speaking to Noah as if he understood. She wasn't perfect about it, but she did try.

Right now thought, she just wanted to try and find a pair of running shoes. Hers were shot and if she wasn't going to be able to shift for six months, she was going to run.

Alex Aristos 12 years ago
Alexander looked up from his catalog to see a woman with long, dark hair come in pushing a stroller. He smiled at her but she was distracted by her baby, who apparently decided on a game of tug of war with some of the dark locks that draped over the stroller when his mother bent down. Even though he didn't consider himself very comfortable with kids Alex couldn't fail to be amused by the baby's grip as he moved out from behind the counter and approached the pair.

"Future rock climber," he predicted as the woman disentangled herself and straightened up. Holding out his hand he said, "Welcome. I'm Alexander. What kind of shoes were you looking for?"

Of course he'd heard her. His store wasn't
that big. But he did have all kinds of shoes for all sorts of sports from running to trail running, hiking, tennis, climbing, cycling... he tried to keep several decent brands on hand. He gestured, indicating that the shoes were in the back right hand corner, where he'd moved them after the water main had broken.
Nikhila 12 years ago
Nikhila looked up and smiled politely at the young man.

"Quite possibly. Do you have anything in his size?"

She warmly took his hand letting her other senses drift out and take in what energies had chosen to associate with him. Normally Nikhila didn't pay much attention to the spirits around people when doing errands, but she was more cautious when out with Noah and took that extra step. Some things hinted at regret and worry but there was also love there. Nothing terribly unusual or alarming, no reason to just leave the store. He was probably just as he seemed, a perfectly nice young man.

"Nikhila, a pleasure to meet you. Trail running please. I was thinking of trying those five toe ones, even if they do look more than a bit odd."

The reviews on them were quite good even if their appearance did disturb her a bit. And Aidan ran barefoot, while she might go around the house and ground without shoes on occasion, she wasn't quite up for barefoot running but thought the shoes might be the next best thing.
Alexander eyeballed the tiny baby in the stroller. "I think he falls into the category of 'special order'," he said humorously but uncertainly, wondering if the woman were serious. Obviously the child wasn't running any time soon, but it wouldn't be the first time he'd had a request for baby-sized fitness gear. Some people just had to dress babies like they were doing everything their parents did. He'd seen babies in strollers come in wearing little bitty hiking boots. Hiking boots! It made no sense to Alex The Childless. And as he was likely to remain in a childless state, he probably never would.

The woman, Nikhila, had a firm handshake and a nice smile. He listened to her request and smiled back.
"Ah ha," he nodded, indicating the section on the wall with what she was looking for. "Vibram Fivefingers. They might look odd but they're pretty comfortable. I've gotten great feedback on them. If you're doing a lot of running over rough terrain you might want to look at these."

He took the appropriate model off the rack on the wall and handed it to her.
"The KSO Trek. It's their most durable shoe. Would you like to try a pair?"

Hopefully the shoe would sell itself; it usually did, but Alexander was going to do his best to find what she wanted. Being up to his ears in debt, every sale counted.
Nikhila 12 years ago
It was a very diplomatic answer, Nikhila approved and smiled lightly.

"Perhaps we'll let him learn to walk before the rock climbing."

Noah was just learning to pull himself up and sit on his own. He was getting good at it. Nikhila found watching the whole process to be fascinating.

"And then we might let him try climbing his father first."

For a moment Nikhila considered how one would go about attaching ropes and other rock-climbing gear to Aidan. For better or for worse those images quickly became a bit (or more than a bit) suggestive and she shelved them, or tried to. Damned hormones.

Fortunately Alexander gave her something new to focus on. Nikhila took the shoe and nodded.

"The trails can be a bit rough in places."

She handled the five toe, or five finger, gingerly finally realizing what was bothering her. For some reason they made her think of spiders and she really disliked spiders, a lot. But the sole seemed tough yet flexible and the upper was surprisingly soft.

"Yes please. Maybe a nine?"

Her shoe size was flexible and thanks to Noah and now his brother it seemed to be changing.

"Do you run yourself? Have you tried them?"

She didn't think you worked in this kind of store without being inclined to participate in outdoor activities. Nikhila was also hoping Alexander might know the yoga instructor and could give a review.
Alexander laughed softly at the plan for the baby's athletic education. "That sounds like a plan," he said.

As Nikhila looked at the fivefinger shoe Alex tried to gauge her size.
"The szes run a little differently than we're used to," he explained. "They go by foot length. I'm getting used to it by now. So let's try a 37 and see how that works."

He didn't actually have a tape measure handy; he'd looked for it the other day and discovered it had somehow been lost in the restoration of his ground floor. It was on his to-buy list.

"I do run some," he said, "and I hike plenty. I've tried them out and I think they're pretty unique. Comfortable. I didn't expect them to be. It takes a little bit of getting used to having something between your toes while you run but once you adjust you don't notice it at all."

He excused himself to get the shoes for Nikhila in her size, a task quickly accomplished as his storeroom as not large and he and Marie kept things well organized. Returning with the 37 and a 38, Alexander pulled the bench away from the wall so Nikhila could sit.

He handed her a pair of Injinji socks first, toe socks meant to be worn under the vibram sneakers.
"Try those first," he said with a smile. As she did he opened the box with the size 37 inside and handed her the first shoe.
Nikhila 12 years ago
In all the reviews she'd read Nikhila hadn't even thought to read about sizing, you just figured that shoes were shoes.

She was encouraged by what Alexander said. Of course, if they didn't work out she could always get a pair of more conventional shoes. Nikhila hated being that wasteful but she was extreamly curious about these shoes.

As Alexander disappeared into the back she sat on the offered bench to take off her shoes, only to have Noah grab her hair again. He apparently thought this was a wonderful game he laughed and kicked his fat baby legs.

"If you keep this up I'm going to cut it all off and you can explain it to your father."

She said, her voice very mild, while yet again disentangled her hair from her son's fist, this time exchanging it for a toy. Looking up she saw Alexander and smiled again before eyeing the sock.

"Thank you."

Taking both he shock and she shoe she put the sock on but fumbled with it a bit. While very good with her hands this was unusual. Getting both shoes and both socks on she stood and made a bit of a face as she flexed her toes.

"The trouble is... I'm not sure what it is supposed to feel like..."
Alexander nodded and smiled. He waited whil Nikhila got the shoes on and then watched as she stood and a strange expression crossed her face.

"Walk around a little," he suggested. "Really, after a few minutes, you shouldn't notice much of anything at all. It should be like slipping into a second skin."

Alexander had thought it felt odd when he'd first tried these shoes. It had gone away very quickly. He would buy himself a pair eventually, but he wasn't about to discount them for himself and he couldn't afford luxuries right now.

"So, where do you run trails? Is there anything else you want these for? That model in particular will serve you for pretty much any activity."

Alexander knew about the trails at the park obviously, but if Nikhila knew of another place to run Alexander was always up for an experiment. He enjoyed going out with Eiryk on the weekends, and since learning about why Eiryk couldn't go out during they day they both did their best to come up with activities that suited them both. The Park was well-lit but they'd been all over it by now and some new views might be welcome.
Nikhila 12 years ago
It was odd, just odd. Still, she did what he suggested the were surprisingly light and it was even more surprising how much she could feel as she walked. As she moved she grinned at Alex.

"I rather wish you had some rocks and hills to try them on."

But the more she walked and the less she thought about them the more normal it felt. She liked being able to really feel the ground and what her feet were doing. It was very natural. Maybe this was Aidan didn't wear shoes even when he ran.

"Mostly the preserve here in town, sometimes the beach." It was a minor fib, one she thought could be forgiven. "I've never really cared for running roads unless I have no other option."

The feeling of the buildings looming over her could be oppressive. It wasn't natural or easy. This, however felt natural and easy she was quickly deciding she liked these shoes or gloves or whatever they were.

"I think you have talked me into these."
Alexander watched Nikhila test out the toe sneakers, laughing softly when he tried to imagine having a little bit of a hiking trail available in the back room or something, for testing purposes. "Maybe with a little more square footage," he said with an apologetic shrug.

He nodded at her when she told him where she ran.
"I hike there a lot too. I don't blame you about the roads; it's just not safe, not when you have the Preserve right around the corner."

Alex was glad when Nikhila seemed to come around on the sneakers. He really did need every sale he could get, but on top of that he thought she'd like them. All the reviews were excellent and they were reliable sneakers.

"All right. I'll meet you at the register if you like, when you're done changing. Unless you'd like to wear them out."

He gathered up the other sneakers, which hadn't been necessary to try on, and returned them to their place in the storeroom. That finished, he went back out to the floor to see if Nikhila was at the register, or waiting on him for something else.
Nikhila 12 years ago
A tiny green out door area might actually be a very clever innovation and set this store a part. Although if you let people try out their new hiking shoes in an actual stream or mud and then they didn't buy them your inventory clean.

She shook her head with a rueful smile.

"I don't think I have the courage to wear them out in public, not just walking around."

Heaven knew she didn't want to explain them if some one asked. She sat back down to take them off and put her own shoes in.

"I'll need a could of pairs f the socks too if I could please."

Noah opted to throw his toy right then. She wasn't sure -how- she did it but Nikhila stuck out her hand and caught it before it could hit the ground.

Now seemed as good a time as any to ask.

"Have you taken any of the yoga classes here?"
Alexander smiled. "Fair enough, it takes some getting used to." The fivefingers was definitely a unique look. They would sure draw a few curious glances, and Alex could empathize with not wanting extra attention due to odd footwear.

He stopped at the appropriate display to pick up a couple more pairs of the toe socks as she asked, and was headed toward the register when she asked if he took yoga classes.

Alexander nodded.
"I took all of them at one point," he said. "Now I teach them. Are you interested?"

Another student would make his day. His classes were enjoyable, a stress-reliever, something he did that earned a little bit on the side as well as gave him something fun to do at the end of the work day. Of course, the greatest stress-reliever was Eiryk but Eiryk had a life too. So yoga and tai chi were decent seconds.

"Have you done yoga before? I teach beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Also tai chi, if you're looking for something low impact."
Nikhila 12 years ago
"Really?"

Nikhila looked at the young man again, yes she could see it. His body type, the way it was muscled and the way he moved. She wasn't so much surprised as impressed.

"Yes I thought perhaps a class would be good for me."

She nodded at his question.

"For many years. I should suspect I fall somewhere between intermediate and advance, of course I'd like you make that determination."

While she did want some instruction, some refreshers she also wanted an excuse to get away from the Den and the Academy from time to time. Far too often it seemed that she never left Pack grounds.

"I was hopping though... you see I'm pregnant."

Obviously there were some poses she couldn't do at this point. She'd been over all of this with her doctor when she'd known she was pregnant with Noah and they'd gone over it all again this time.

Still it felt odd to tell some one outside of the Pack she was pregnant again. Very few people knew at all. Aidan, Hammer and Lily and her assistant dean. Jack had only been told because it would be unfair to have him think she was back full time only to disappear again in a few months. It made much more sense for them to just keep working as a team.

No doubt there would be a great deal of ribbing once it was widely known and there was very little doubt they would know come the next full moon when she was unable to shift.

"It does put a bit of a crimp in things."
"Really," Alexander said. He waited a moment while it seemed Nikhila was sizing him up. Apparently she approved of what she saw, for she still expressed interest in a class.

She placed herself somewhere between intermediate and advanced, which Alex figured he'd have to evaluate. There were many, many different styles of yoga and Alexander didn't find that Ashtanga was the most popular. There was a strong Ashtanga component in his later classes. Hatha yoga tended to be the most common.

When Nikhila said she was pregnant Alexander gave a soft 'ah' of comprehension.
"Congratulations," he said sincerely. He had thought her baby was sort of young. Maybe he was older than he looked, to be getting a little brother or sister. But then, Alexander was hardly one to judge. He knew nothing about babies.

"Well... I don't know about a crimp. There's plenty we can do for you. Obviously certain positions are out but there are plenty of alternate poses."

Alexander knew a bunch of positions specifically meant to be safe for pregnant women. He had several students currently who said they were managing quite well.

"I'd like you to come to a beginner class first," he suggested, "so that you can see how I teach and what the class is like. I take the class through the basics poses with their alternates poses one at a time, and we generally string them into a vinyasa."

He reached under the counter and handed Nikhila a slip of paper with the schedule of classes on it.
"The beginner class meets on Mondays at 7. Intermediate on Wednesdays."
Nikhila 12 years ago
Nikhila flushed slightly and muttered a thank you.. She was convinced this nice young man was mentally adding up how old Noah was and the fact that she was pregnant and was a little surprised by the answer. Well, she was just going to have to get used to it. It wasn't going to be a secret too much longer and there would be ribbing. At least he wasn't judging.

She relaxed a little bit appreciating that he seemed prepared for pregnant practitioners. That in itself said something, it said he had some experience and wasn't some trendy flight by night imitation.

"Do you have many pregnant students then?"

Nikhila wasn't at all offended or insulted that he'd suggest a beginner class. It made a great deal of sense. Besides, she was a teacher as well and understood prerequisites.

"That sounds ideal. A good way to end a day."

She was trying to think what time the sunset. Well she was going to have to some one drive her into town anyway. If it was just to class and back Nikhila didn't think it should be too big a deal. Aidan was a bit more relaxed about her going out these days.

"How much study have you done? And where? If you don't mind me asking."
Alexander shook his head. "Two or three," he answered Nikhila. "I've been here in Nachton less than a year, and there were a few setbacks before I was actually able to open for steady business."

He smiled at the dark-haired woman.
"It's a great way to end the day. I love teaching."

Nikhila asked about his training and Alex didn't mind; there were plenty of people who claimed to be yoga instructors and didn't bother to learn anything about teaching.

"I moved here from DC. Most of my training was there, at various yoga studios since I wanted different courses and they all offered something different. I'm accredited with the Yoga Alliance though, in Hatha, Vinyasa, Ashtanga, and some more specialized styles. If you want to come upstairs I can show you my certifications, but I don't keep them down here."

Alexander did have his credentials framed upon the wall of his studio. They were out of the way on the back wall; he didn't make them a focus. He did want his studio to have the respect of a true yoga studio though, so it was only professional to display the evidence of his own training.
Nikhila 12 years ago
"So you must be the owner too."

It wasn't like there was anything wrong with being a salesman. Nikhila just hadn't immediately jump to the conclusion that Alexander was the proprietor as well.

"Well I'm glad you've opened. I have a feeling I'll be back now and then."

Not that she needed too much outdoor gear but she did like the store and it would be her first choice from here out.

She nodded pleased with his credentials. It was a little bit of a relief to hear he wasn't someone who'd watched a few DVDs and called it good. Her smile was bright as she picked up a squirming Noah who was beginning to fuss. It might be about time to feed him, or was it nap time?

"I get the feeling I can trust you on that."

Any one who could name three separate styles had some credibility. Nikhila found she was quite looking forward to this. An actual class, and the young man was polite, pleasant she was certain he'd be a good teacher. If he truly loved teaching that would communicate itself to his students and make for an excelling class.
"Yes, I am." Alexander didn't think that assumption was particularly difficult to make, given his words and the content of their conversation so far. He didn't add that he lived here as well; he wasn't in the habit of giving that information away. Look at what poor Eiryk had had to do to drag it out of him.

He smiled at Nikhila, glad to know he would hopefully have a repeat customer, and rang up her purchases for her.
"I'm glad I did too. This is really what I set out to do after college."

Not everyone was lucky enough to get what they wanted. Alex had his building, his businesses, love, friendship... moving to Nachton had been the best thing he'd ever done. It didn't matter that his folks had helped him buy this place to make sure he stayed away from Maryland. He didn't care. He'd pay them back eventually and they could all go about their separate ways.

He inclined his head at Nikhila's words regarding his credentials. She was welcome to double check them any time she wanted; all she had to do was look up his name at the YA website. He was listed as an accredited instructor.

"Well I hope you have a chance to come to a class," he said. "It'll be a pleasure to have you there."

He ran Nikhila's card, offering her the slip to sign along with a pen, holding the little paper down for her since her arms were full of baby.
Nikhila 12 years ago
"Well then congratulations."

It was far too common for people to wind up with a degree in one field and wind up working in a completely different one. While she didn't believe that education was ever a waste but it was too common that careers didn't follow in that exact field. So she was genuinely please to hear Alex had achieved a goal.

She just couldn't see a problem with staying out after dark one day a week. It wasn't like she was taking the bus any longer and she wouldn't have Noah with her so he would be safe. Of course there was the new little one to worry about too. She shrugged to herself. It would work out one way or another.

Tucking her card away she went to shift her son about so she could sign the slip. But Alexander had anticipated her and she was impressed with his thoughtfulness. Quickly scrawling her name she slid the slip back over to Alexander.

"Thank you very much I look forward to it and thank you so much for your help today."

Nikhila tucked Noah back into his stroller before gathering up the odd looking shoes and slipped back out the door. She had a few more quick errands to run before returning home. Pity they all wouldn't be this pleasant.

((OOC... Nikhila and Noah out))
Alexander smiled and inclined his head at Nikhila's congratulations. He was pleased that he had his own business, in spite of the pitfalls and setbacks he'd encountered. He liked it here in Nachton, although he would admit that that was in no small part thanks to a certain blond Viking.

He took the sales slip from Nikhila, filed it away, and said,
"You're very welcome. I hope to see you in class soon."

He rounded the counter as Nikhila tucked her son back into his stroller and took her bag with her new sneakers and socks in it. Opening the door for her so she could maneuver the stroller out more easily he wished her a good afternoon and then turned back to his sales floor with a satisfied smile.

Business was picking up; he'd manage. Breaking water mains wouldn't take him out of action. He liked this far too much.

((ooc: Alex out))