Resistance 101

Bao surveyed the room again and decided it would just have to do. It wasn't where he would prefer to have this lesson but he had to admit that a suit at the Piazza would give them the privacy they needed. He wouldn't have chosen this venue if it had been just he and his daughter, but she had said she was bringing an observer.

He would admit to being moderately curious who she would bring. If it wasn't that Mara had quite a lot on her plate right now Bao would have expected Pakpao to have asked his sister. Something he had learned about his offspring though, she didn't trust easily. He doubted she would bring just a member of security. No she would pick someone she felt she could rely on. He wanted to know who that would be.

The door to the bedroom was tightly closed and the sitting/living area was tidy, and Bao had impeccably laid out a number of small innocuous items. He didn't want to start these lessons off with major commands. For now though, he sat and read waiting. The desk had instructions to give Pakpao a key and she had yet to be more than three or five minutes late for any of their meetings.

Pakpao 12 years ago
Pak was nervous and fidgety. She knew in her head this was a good idea, Kem had agreed but that didn't mean she liked it. Every time he'd tried to command her she'd fought him. Every time. Now granted, he was going to teach her to fight it more successfully but that didn't lessen Pak's loathing for the idea of giving up her free will even for a second.

She half wanted to grab Kem's hand and lean up against him for support, but stubbornly she refused and just walked next to him. Frequently looking up at him hoping to see him change his mind and give her an excuse to run away.

Getting the key they walked to the elevator, but Pak didn't push the button she just stood there.

"You really think you can keep him from staying in my head?"

Whether he could or not Pak knew having Kem here was a good thing. If nothing else it had to be easier on him being here than just feeling the results of these lessons through their bond. Pak very much doubted she could keep those feelings from leaking through.

She pushed the elevator button and studded it intently as it lit up.

"Thank you."
Kem`Raaisu 12 years ago
Kem smiled down at Pak as they headed toward the room she was supposed to have her first lesson in. Even if they weren't bonded he'd have understood she was nervous. She kept looking up at him and it pained him some to see her so uncertain.

He arched a brow at her when she asked hm for reassurance.
"Yes," he said quietly.

Okay, to be exact, Kem didn't think he could completely fix any problems Pak's Creator left her with, if he left her with any. But he was dead certain he'd be able to tell, easily, if Pak was not herself after this.

He rested his had on Pak's shoulder as the elevator began to rise.
"You don' have to thank me."
Pakpao 12 years ago
"Sure I do. There is no way in hell I think this is a good time. I don't -want- to be here it is a 'for my own good' thing. So you probably don't want to be here so... Thank you."

The elevator rose and with it Pak's level of anxiety. This was a test of trust. She and Bao were getting along now, she almost could like him some times. She didn't understand him most of the time but she more or less liked him. But this command thing, it was the one issue Pak really couldn't forgive him for. She truly believed the ability was evil. It was all too easy to remember how it felt when he bent her to his will the night he turned her and she had to live with the results ever day of her unnatural life.

The elevator ride was far too short. As they walked down the hallway Pak made very sure to hide any evidence of her nerves or distress. She worked on being as poker faced as possible around her creator. It didn't always work, but she did try.

She knocked even though she had a key and waited a second before opening the door and sticking her head in. She caught Bao just as he put his paper down and came to the door. Entering the room fully Pak just assumed Kem would be in her wake.

"Bao." She said with a slight nod, "This is Kem... he'll be chaperoning. Kem, Bao."

Pak still didn't feel comfortable calling Bao her maker or anything similar, and since Kem knew exactly who Bao was there was no reason to do so.
Bao 12 years ago
When he heard the knock and then the key Bao checked his watch. Two minutes late, and that could be accounted for easily so he would not hold it against her.

Standing to greet them Bao was momentarily startled by the gentleman with Pakpao. He had not expected her to bring a man. Like any father he immediately wondered who this man was and what he meant to his daughter but he calmly and politely extended his hand to Kem.

"I suspect chaperone is an adequate term. A pleasure to meet you Kem."

He really would have preferred to have a last name, but he would not press.

Taking a closer look Bao couldn't help but notice Kem was rather striking in appearance. He would not be hard to pick out in a crowd. It was also impossible not to notice the man's eyes, so very like his older sisters. That coloring could not be terribly common and yet two vampires here in Nachton with such striking similarities. Remarkable. Perhaps he would ask Mara about it later.
Kem`Raaisu 12 years ago
Kem sighed at Pak, slid his hand around her shoulders, and pulled her close in a one-armed hug. His sister could be remarkably obtuse sometimes. All she had to do was use their bond to determine that Kem actually did want to be there. He shrugged and looked down at her.

"Okay. If you say so."

It was all he said on the topic, his opinion on the matter fairly clear. Pak was lying to herself. It irritated him a little; only someone as stubborn as Pak could do that when there was a very clear bond involved. Even Kem couldn't dispute emotions where bonding was concerned. He might have doubted Aishe's feelings without it, but with it? There was no chance. Pak should know Kem was glad to be with her even as Kem knew Aishe loved him beyond a shadow of a doubt.

He followed Pak into the hotel room, standing beside her and looking at the man who had made such a mess of turning Pak. He didn't know what he'd expected but Bao looked fairly normal to him. He couldn't ignore the natural dislike for the man but he did hide it beneath his well-practiced, neutral facade.

Shaking Bao's hand he smiled and said,
"Likewise. It's good of you to offer to teach Pak."

After all, you completely ruined her perfectly good life and then continued to fuck with her over the next two centuries. Helping her defend herself, finally, is the least you could do.

None of his thoughts showed on his face. Kem was too used to being calm and polite for that. He moved toward the couch and nodded at Pak.
"You two go ahead. I have a few things to take care of."

He pulled his laptop from its case and set it on his lap, flipping it open and powering it up. He had no intention of making anyone nervous by staring at them and twiddling his thumbs. He could listen and observe perfectly well from behind the little computer screen.

[If he hurts you, I'll kill him.]

Of course, a little reassurance never hurt. Kem wasn't sure what Pak would make of that sentiment but in that moment he meant it completely.
Pakpao 12 years ago
Pak poked at their bond a little bit, she wasn't quite used to being able to feel things through the bond yet. After all she was so good at ignoring her own feelings it wasn't too bit a stretch to sort of box off Kem's. She did her best to give her brother a big mental hug along with the one armed one he gave her.

She smiled at Kem when he settled in with his laptop. There had been a bit of a question in her mind how Kem would react to Bao. After all, he had been seen first hand how badly she'd reacted to Bao, how afraid she'd been. As always though he was polite. And she took a twisted bit of comfort from his threat of violence.

[Slowly please.]

Pak was a little surprised to find she meant that. Yeah they were working on a relationship but if Bao took advantage of her again Pak wanted him to regret it. She wasn't looking to sabotage anything, just know there would be revenge. OK she might be holding a grudge, a bit.

She sighed at Bao and steeled herself for this mess.

"OK... how do we do this? Is it practice makes perfect or is there a big secret to it?"
Bao 12 years ago
"I'm afraid I have been remiss in many of my duties with her."

Kem had not given any indication that he was upset with him, but Bao thought it could not hurt to simply acknowledge he'd screwed up.

He was quite curious why Kem would not give the lesson his full attention. Perhaps his daughter had a hidden talent or perhaps Kem did. In fact, Bao didn't know precisely what Pakpao's talents were. He knew she was quite talented with her telekinesis, she used instinctively quite often. It had been interesting to incorporate that into their martial arts lessons.

He opted not to obsess over it, eventually she would tell him.

"You have some of the basics down apparently. I thought we should practice them and see exactly how you are doing this."

She nodded at him and Bao sat them down in chairs opposite the couch where Kem was sitting. He put a book down in front of them.

"I am going to have you open the book."

Again Pakpao nodded. Bao took that as acknowledgment this was more warning than she'd had in their previous encounters. He through weight into his words, it wasn't the strongest command that he'd given, but it was very direct.

"Open the book -now-."

He watched her struggle with it, she hesitated, reached out to the book, drew back, reached out again and touched the book this time. It was obviously a struggle but she finally drew her hand back and held it in her lap. In truth it looked painful and he thought she had won, but at the last second she did open the book, but slammed it closed immediately afterward. It was a start, and if nothing else she had learned to work around the command.

"That was not a bad start."

He encouraged her slightly.
Kem`Raaisu 12 years ago
"Yes," Kem said, agreeing with Bao. He hesitated for a moment, as if he were going to leave it there. But then he nodded his head slightly. "But you're trying now."

Settled on the couch with his laptop he began to answer some of the emails that he'd gotten behind on. Having Alfarinn back was a blessing but as it happened, he was still working more then usual in Clan matters. It wasn't a bad thing. He enjoyed it. It did make it tough to balance the archives though, a job he didn't want to give up for anything else.

He was paying most of his attention to what was going on between the two vampires who sat opposite him. He was pleased that Bao was starting off simply, with a Command that seemed fairly neutral and unobjectionable. He raised his eyes from the laptop screen and watched Pak's painful struggle, felt it in his head.

For himself, he particularly noted the turmoil and stress through the bond. He embraced it; all the better to know for sure if someone was messing with Pak. He would recognize this feeling later.

When Pak reached out, opened the book, and then slammed it closed, he hid a smile behind his laptop screen. [Perfectly stubborn,] he sent. [I like it.]
Pakpao 12 years ago
It surprised Pak how much that took out of her. It had been a fight, it was like she was being torn in two. Part of her really just wanted to do what she was told, it was so easy but then a little spark of something insisted that she shouldn't. Pak, who could be rather contrary and independent, seized on that and tried to cling to it. She'd lost hold of it at the end and opened the book but as he hadn't said to leave it open she closed it.

Both Bao and Kem seemed to think it was a good start. She, however, was less than impressed. In fact, Pak was pissed off she'd lost. That had been an easy command too very direct.

[Not stubborn enough.]

"Again."

She pushed Bao, who obliging gave her the same command, but added 'and leave it open'. Again after an obvious battle, Pak caved and opened the book, but she flipped it over and slumped back in her chair defeated. She'd done better at this before.

"What am I doing wrong?"

She asked clearly frustrated.
Bao 12 years ago
She was trying, he could see that. Even with the more specific command she'd managed to end run it and both times she had clearly worked at it.

"Nothing. Can you explain to me what you are doing?"

Bao listened intently as Pak described what she was fling and thinking. Perhaps that was why she had done better before, the commands had mattered more. The had a direct impact on her.

"Let's try something else."

Bao got up and filled a pitcher with water bringing it and a cup to the table and poured some water into the cup, not much though barley a quarter full. This time he gave the command without warning.

"Throw the water at me."

There was no hesitation. Bao had hoped there would be, but he wound up spluttering as she hit him in the face with the water. At least he'd had the good sense not to fill the cup. Bao rose and found a towel, after a second's hesitation he brought two more back with him.

"I think perhaps your own wants and feelings play a large part in your resisting."

At least, he noted, she looked a little bit shocked at her own actions. She hadn't really thought about it, she'd just done as she was told.
Kem`Raaisu 12 years ago
[It will come,] Kem responded to Pak. [Rome wasn't built in a day.]

He continued to tap away at his email while Pak and Bao worked at the whole resistance thing. The idea that the victim's thoughts and feelings made perfect sense.

That said, he couldn't conceal a snort of laughter when Pak very happily threw the small splash of water at her Creator. He sat up straighter, closing his laptop. Standing, he crossed the room.

"Tell her to throw it at me, if you really want her to practice."

He didn't mind helping. If Bao wanted resistance, the water should be pointed at the person in the room Pak didn't have a grudge against.
Pakpao 12 years ago
[How long -did- it take to build Rome. No one ever mentions that.]

Pak snarked at Kem, still frustrated. But she immediately returned her focus to Bao

Failing again she watched as Bao wandered off to play host. She did not need a drink, at least not of water. Of course, she didn't want anything hard as that would probably cause her to lose her edge. Pak wanted to be able to focus on this lesson Once she was able to start making some progress hen they could added distractions.

Once he sat down, she was too shocked by the command to even think of resisting it That was even more true because she was irritated with him and the lesson and wanted to express that. She choked back a laugh at the look on his face.

"So... you're saying a I need a better reason than 'just because' to resist?"

OK that made sense Every time she'd challenged him I was for a reason. To save herself, to save than prostitute, because he'd pissed her off. They were reasons... not necessarily good, but reasons.

Kem caused her to do a double take. That she hadn't expected.

"You're just going to wind up wet."
Bao 12 years ago
That was unexpected, Bao had not expected his daughter's companion to offer to assist in any way. He was pleasantly surprised and his estimation of the man went up slightly. Obviously Kem recognized the value in the lessons and wanted to see them succeed. Not that he was risking much more than a little water in the face, but it was the thought that counted.

"Yes please. I think that will help."

Satisfied that Kem meant it and that his laptop would be in no danger he filled the sup again, but a bit fuller this time hoping that would give Pakpao more of a reason to fight him. Optimistic that they had struck on something that would work Bao gathered himself up and threw even more weight into his words. He didn't shout, he didn't growl, he didn't sound that much more different than his everyday voice, yet there was unmistakable power in the words.

"You -will- throw all the water in that cup at Kem without warning him now."

He wasn't pulling any punches this time and closed as many loopholes as he could think of. This was why Bao often layered his commands but right now, simple was best.

As soon as he said it he watched his daughter's struggle. She was fighting even harder than she had been before. But the struggle was much shorter, suddenly she shouted something in Siamese and thew the water away from all of them, the cup with it all the time chanting, 'No, no, no, no.' But she'd done it. He waited until she'd collected herself a bit before smiling at her.

"Well done. You resisted half of it."
Kem`Raaisu 12 years ago
[I don't know the exact length of time. Contrary to popular belief, I wasn't there,] Kem sent to Pak, concealing an amused smile behind his neutral expression.

"I won't melt," Kem said aloud in response to Pak, his voice softly ironic.

He stood a few feet from Pak, arms crossed, otherwise relaxed. He wasn't worried. Even if it weren't merely water he had faith in Pak's ability to resist a Command when it was something she did not want to do.

Sure enough he heard her chanting her denial. Bao's words were so heavily influential that even Kem had a momentary urge to find a cup of water to douse himself with. It was fleeting; possibly an echo of the bond they shared.

The water flew wide, fortunately missing his laptop. He turned to Pak.
"I knew you could do it."

Privately he sent, [My hero. I'm still dry. My winged monkies won't be orphaned.]
Pakpao 12 years ago
Pak slumped a little and was breathing a little harder than usual. She hadn't expected it to take so much out of her. Taking a few deep breaths she got herself under control and stood up straighter.

[How come you got flying monkeys? I want flying monkeys.]

Without another though she mentally grabbed a throw pillow (she did think the name was perfect, they were one of her favorite Kem projectiles) and launched it at her brother. It felt good to do that without being ordered too. Funny how she could not want to throw the water but had no issues with anything else. Perhaps it was because in Pak's world if anyone was going to mess with Kem it would be her and no one else (well or Aishe).

That done though she scowled at Bao, she'd gotten used to his training methods and honestly anticipated him to have something to say about the pillow. She sighed with resolve.

"Wait. Don't tell me... again."

He had praised her though. It wasn't much, but it was as much as she ever got from him. Still, it felt good. She hated to admit it, but it mattered getting it right and even that little bit of positive feed back mattered. And she was pleased with herself.

"I think I can hold the whole thing off this time."
Bao 12 years ago
Bao's eyebrows shot up as Pakpao responded to Kem's compliment. He had not figured on violence, even if it was mild. If they had been in the dojo he would have reprimanded her for it, but in this case he decided to let Kem address it. It was all the more concerning that the outburst didn't seem unexpected to Kem.

While pleased Pakpao recognized the do it until you get it right method he favored Bao wanted to give her a little bit of a break.

"I think perhaps a five minute break is in order. I would rather not scramble your brain."

It was an unfamiliar expression but a warm smile crossed his face. He wanted to take this at an easier pace than the martial arts he'd been teaching her. It had taken her a while to accept this offer and he didn't want her to to feel pressured or any more uneasy than she had to.
Kem`Raaisu 12 years ago
[They come with the 1000th year anniversary,] Kem replied.

The pillow flying at him was absolutely no surprise. He reached up and grabbed it out of mid air, slinging it over toward the couch with a soft laugh.

"She takes praise well," he said to Bao. "Always has."

He nodded quiet approval when a break was suggested. Kem couldn't agree more. Pak wasn't horribly stressed out right now but if they kept pushing and pushing she would be. She couldn't continue to fight off Commands forever.

"Want a drink?" he asked Pak. "Water? Beer? Or should we save those for later?"

He didn't have much to say to Bao. Kem still disapproved of Pak's Creator. In his opinion 200-some-odd years was still awfully late to track down your daughter and try to rectify what you'd done to her over the years.
Pakpao 12 years ago
[Ageism, that is what that is. Can I borrow yours some time? Just for the night?]

She sighed as Kem caught the pillow. Some day she was going to get the better of him, well to be fair once in a while she did it was just rare, and when she did, she enjoyed it.

While surprised by the offer of a break, Pak embraced it. She wandered just far enough to flop heavily on the couch. She was going to get better at this. There was no way that some one using command against her would stop with one command or one so direct.

"One thing at a time..."

She muttered to herself.

God yes, she'd love a beer or a scotch but she shook her head 'no'.

"Water please... if you're not going to throw it at me that is."

Pak grinned at Kem, not really believing that he would do that. Any other day he might but tonight she thought he'd give her a pass. Closing her eyes she replayed the command in her head, what she'd felt and how she'd reacted and when she'd broken it

As she replayed the command in her mind Pak became aware of the bond, of Kem taking up a part of her mind and smiled again.

[Can you feel what is happening?]

Pak was curious now. She had no idea how a bond worked and if this would effect Kem or not.
Bao 12 years ago
"As you say."

Bao had noticed that himself. He very deliberately worked at offering positive feedback when they trained together. The interaction was familiar, comfortable for both of them. Beyond that Kem was attentive to Pakpao. He found himself curious about this man.

"Whatever you want. We can call room service if you'd like."

He knew she had a penchant for hot tea, although with the temperatures warming she might not want anything hot.

"If I might ask... how do you two know each other?"

Pakpao didn't share much with him, but he wanted to know more about her. Perhaps she would let him have this one small window into who she was.
Kem`Raaisu 12 years ago
[Call it whatever you like, but no, you can wait until you get your own flying monkies.] Kem hid a smirk. He didn't see a need for Pak's Creator to know they were communicating without words. Instead he grinned and shook his head at her.

"I'd hardly throw it at you when I was the one who begged for the potential dousing to begin with," he said.

Cross the room to the little wet bar and refrigerator he opened the door, pulled out a bottle of water, and opened it. Adding some ice from the bucket on top of the fridge to a glass, he poured the water in and brought it back to Pak.

[It felt like you were straining, I guess,] he answered.[ As if you were resisting something. Someone pushing against you, you pushing back. I don't know how to describe it.] He handed her the glass of water and answered what he imagined one of her next questions might be. [I would recognize it again if it happened to you.]

Turning to Bao, Kem raised his eyebrows. He regarded the shorter man with his cool pale eyes and said,
"We belong to the same family."

Not to belabor the obvious, but duh. By nature of their having a common Clan, Kem and Pak knew each other. Kem knew Bao was asking for something more detailed but it hadn't been phrased that way and he was disinclined to give so much as an inch to this man.