Best in Show (Attn: Drew)

Tavi had done some research on this missing cat and the shows that he was supposed to compete in. There was an upcoming big competition in Washington DC in which little puffywuffy was favored to win. There were talks of the opportunity for breeding him with other pure bred Persians and some photo deals and other things were on the line. Who knew that cats were such a serious business?!

She and Drew, bless him for continuing to put up with this case, were at a smaller event to talk to the competitors and to perhaps get some information on which person would be more likely to want to see Lord Hacksomemore dead or gone.

In an effort to be taken somewhat seriously by these people, Tavi accompanied the white jeans with a khaki sports jacket to cover the turquoise silk blouse. Her bright hair was pulled up in a messy bun with a couple of bone chopsticks holding it in place, a few strands fell loose around her face.

Tavi looked down at her clothes with a sigh.

"Damn it all, I almost look respectable. This job needs to be over before I start wearing pencil skirts and sensible shoes."

She regarded her companion with a smile, hooking her arm in his. "Thank you for coming with me. I appreciate the help. I don't think the cats are going to like me much so perhaps two of us together will convince the people to talk to us."

The smell of a wolf was about her she was sure. Tavi made certain to pull these clothes directly out of the dryer and to take her shower just before coming to meet Drew. Hopefully it would be enough to not have the cats running away from her when she got close. At least she didn't have the problem of some of her pack mates. Cats absolutely loathed and feared some of them. She assumed that some sort of scent still clung to them that tipped the felines off but for whatever reason a few werewolves just really had a hard time with the animals.

The owners were also likely to not talk to her if they were busy and she desperately needed information that they were able to provide. It would be nice to get that without resorting to being pushy. Perhaps having 6' 3" backup with an extra helping of adorable charm would be just the thing to make them not disregard the tiny 'teenager' out of hand.

Drew 12 years ago
This had to be the most idiotic idea of his life. Ever. Bar none. A cat show? Really? He was -so- going to die a horrible horrible death. He really should have thought this through before agreeing to help, but, well he was a soft touch. Tavi hadn't been manipulative or anything like that, he just couldn't say no.

Well he was committed now. God help him if any of his friends or the old guys found out, he'd never live it down. The weather was getting warm but still Drew was wearing jeans, long sleeves, a jacket, boots and a hat. He was hoping to pull off a Secret Service look but probably only managed stupid, but maybe Tavi wouldn't notice. He was also smelling rather strongly of Fabreeze and was refusing to take off his very dark sunglasses.

He was praying that this was over quickly but still managed a grin at the detective.

"You look great. You'd even pull off the pencil skirt, but I draw the line at sensible shoes."

His stomach turned over and for a second Drew debated running away. That was macho wasn't it? But he didn't let his nerves show.

"No problem."

In some alternate universe it was no problem.

"This should be easy though. Most people won't shut up about their cats and if they are pedigreed and showing them..."

Well they'd probably be even more chatty. Oh please let them be chatty.
Octavia Emiliano 12 years ago
Tavi laughed at Drew and squeezed him close with the hand that had been hooked around his arm. "That's why I love you, so sweet and yet fashion aware." She quirked a mischievous eyebrow at him. "That's hard to find in a straight guy." Thankfully it was getting more common. One shouldn't have to dress a full grown man just so that you weren't embarrassed to go out with him.

With that thought she wondered why Drew looked like he was dressed for late winter instead of the middle of Spring. Ah well, he still looked good in it, if a bit hot. Leaning close, she noticed he smelt like cotton fresh linen from a bottle. Not a bad scent, just strong.

"You make a good point. I never understood those owners who talked about their pets like they were the marvels of the universe but it could be useful."

They stepped into the entrance of the large open convention center. Stalls were set up everywhere along the perimeter with the names of cats printed and pinned to each one. Ignoring the people, both milling and bustling about, she looked for specific names on the list of most likely to win "Best in Show". From that list she didn't want to talk to the ones that were the closest competition to their missing cat but some that were four or five places down. Those owners would be high enough in the ranking to be very involved in the details of various shows while at the same time having no good motivation to take out just one prize cat.

"Ah there!" Tavi pointed across the room to a stall that said. "Red Rahj" on it.
Drew 12 years ago
If he hadn't been extremely focused on not getting mobbed by every cat in the place Drew might have teased her about that turn of phrase. He did know that his fashion sense either but who was he to argue when a pretty girl, woman... whatever... gave him a compliment.

"Is it? I don't date a lot of straight guys."

Or gay guys for that matter, but he didn't go into that.

And they crossed into the first circle of hell... er the cat show. Drew tensed and held his breath. He knew he was supposed to be helping but right now he was doing his best just to not look like he had a target painted on his back.

He'd only just walked in the door and he could hear one or two of the cats hiss at him. Fortunately they were far enough away that it wasn't terribly obvious, but Drew knew that was just the start of it.

Of course she wanted to go far far away from the door. Of course. He should have seen that coming. Drew nodded and braced himself.

"OK lets go have a chat with them. You be deceptively cute while scarily tenacious and I'll look intimidating."

They crossed the room and Drew could feel lots and lots of feline eyes on him. Walking into a lion's den couldn't be more intimidating than this.
"Oh? Well don't start." She gave him a wink.

Tavi turned back to Drew, raising her eyebrows at him when he suggested they try a teamwork approach that was something like good cop/bad cop with a twist. "I think we can manage that." When she first met him she would have said he couldn't look intimidating to a home schooled five year old. But she remembered the very serious Drew at the pool hall and it was as if she were with a different person; that man could be intimidating. Drew had been protective of her and that was very sexy. Even if she might not need it most of the time. What girl doesn't want to feel safe with her boyfriend? Like he could and would take on the world for her.

The hissing cats distracted her. Tavi's hearing was as good as the average were and she noticed that the sound, changing from cat to cat as they moved along, seemed to be following them. Wrinkling her nose, she sniffed delicately. No, she didn't seem to smell like a wolf...but maybe. They certainly seemed to be upset with them. She was the most likely suspect.

"Uhm, Drew?Can I ask you an odd question?" She turned to him just before the reached the row of tiny stalls, each with a platform for their cat. "Do I smell like... I mean, do you notice any large dog smell?" She sniffed again. "I'm around them a lot but I swear I took a shower before we got here."

With a sigh she said, "Well I suppose there is no help for it. I just hope they don't all flee in terror or something."

Turning back to the owner she wanted to speak with, Tavi went up and gave the woman a bright smile.

"Mrs Turner is it? I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions." She looked down at the ginger coloured Persian and smiled, hoping it didn't decide to go for her face.
Drew 12 years ago
That was lifestyle change Drew had never even considered. Hey if it worked for you he didn't judge but ... hey... wait...

With one arm he grabbed Tavi and pulled her to him and leered. they were in public so that's all he did, he just hoped it made his point.

"No worries on that point."

Drew closed his eyes and tensed up considerably as the hissing seemed to follow the. OK it was following them he knew it and he knew why. Drew was counting himself lucky that they weren't leaping at him.

Yet.

It was coming.

He raised an eyebrow at her, that was an odd question. But obligingly he buried his face in her neck and took a deep whiff.

"Nope. No worries. Maybe they are just all cranky. ... ... ummmm... how many of them do you think are declawed?"

He was doing his best to look potentially intimidating. He didn't want to scare this lady right off. Maybe Tavi's friendly polite approach would work and he would rather not ruin it. Before he could blink or say anything though the ugly ass cat went right for -his- face and it was -not- declawed.

"Eeeeooww! Sharp!"

Damned thing was hissing and spiting a storm while needle sharp claws imbedded themselves in what little exposed skin he'd left and the damned thing tried to bite his nose. He only barley got a hand in the way so the cat bit his finger instead. Which also hurt.

Dumbest idea ever. That was all he really could think.

At least he had the good sense not to grab the cat and hurl it across the room. That would not help getting information. But if some one wanted to get this demon posses animal off him he'd appreciate it.
"Do I know you?"

"No, Perhaps you've heard of Catanova Mojo? And that he's..." The ginger Persian lept for Drew's face, hissing and clawing. At least he put his hands up to protect himself but the show cat got in some good bites and scratches. "missing..."

Tavi reached for the cat, holding it underneath its butt and at the back of its neck. It was still reaching for Drew, hissing and spitting as she pulled it away.

"Rahji! Oh naughty Rahji!" The owner looked horrified. "I've never seen him act like that. Persians are normally very docile."

Little Rahji was squirming in her arms wanting to get down or go back to clawing Drew's eyes out, one or the other. Tavi looked around at the other cats in the nearby stalls. Some of them were hissing as well. She looked back at Drew. It wasn't her they were mad at.

She handed that cat to its owner. "Are you okay?" Tavi looked at him in sympathy, hugging him close. "Perhaps you should take a few steps away from Rahj since he seems to take exception to you."

The owner held her cat in a death grip and eyed Drew with suspicion but answer Tavi's question. "Yes, I had heard that Mo was missing. Its tragic. I'd blame the ex wife, myself, she couldn't stand poor Mo."

"I looked into Mrs. Blankenship actually. I'm the detective Mr Blankenship hired to try and find Mo. So far it doesn't seem like she's responsible. I'm curious. Do you think any of the other owners would do such a thing?"

The woman looked thoughtful for perhaps half a second. "I'd bet Wendy Meyers over there."She nodded with her chin." She thinks Romeo, her precious white ball of fur is going to win, especially now that Mo is out of the running. James Abram and Molly Moppet are also top competitors." She pointed to the other stalls. The woman gave Drew and Tavi a look that suggested maybe they should move on now so that she could release her cat.
Drew 12 years ago
"Docile... yeah. I'll remember that.�

He couldn't growl or anything he had to play nice because people were watching. Drew took a few giant steps back absently trying to keep from bleeding too bad. The scratches weren't too bad or too deep but he hadn't come away unscathed. There were little trickles of blood, especially from the bites.

"Has he at least had his shots?�

Backing up brought him into relatively close contact with another cat of some unknown breed which took a couple of swipes at him. Fortunately, the cat only got his jacket and its handler or whatever caught it before there was another attack. But he got glared at again.

Very aware that he was suddenly not helping Drew worked his innocent puppy mojo. At least most of these cat people should feel sorry for him instead of being upset he was bothering their prize fluff balls. Shame it didn't work on the cats, it suddenly seemed like they were ganging up on him too. Drew could feel all those beady little eyes on him. He didn't say anything, but personally, he didn't blame the ex for not being able to stand the cat. It was only good sense.

He gave Tavi a bit of a pleading look that very clearly said 'Next?' Drew couldn't even think of any good questions to ask he just didn't want to get attacked again.
Tavi looked over at Drew, poor guy. He came here with her and he had to know that the cats wouldn't like him. If it were just the one then she would have believed that it was just a quirk of that particular animal taking exception to her boyfriend but it wasn't. He braved all these hateful balls of fluff for her. That was so sweet...perhaps, one might argue, not terribly bright, but very very sweet.

She put a hand over her mouth as another cat, being carried by its owner, bowed up and took a few swipes at him. Smiling at him in sympathy, she took him by the arm as the owner quickly hurried away with their prized feline.

"Let's go back outside."

Tavi hurried them both toward the door, steering around anyone with a cat in their possession. Once back outside where it was marginally safer, she reached up and gently brushed a hand across an unscratched portion of cheek.

"Does this happen often?"

Wrapping her other arm around him, she held Drew close, daring any other cats to get within arms reach.
Drew 12 years ago
Drew breathed a huge sigh of relief at that suggestion. He tried not to run out of the convention center. This was not exactly the impression he had been trying to make. There was nothing manly, butch, macho or even cool about a guy getting attacked by a bunch of cats.

Even outside he was keeping his eyes peeled for any one coming or going who might have some sort of lethal feline. He didn't trust any of them.

He grinned a little as she found an unscratched portion of his face. OK almost worth it.

"Ummmm... sometimes. Cats and I don't always get on. Dog person I guess..."

He liked that answer as it was true. While cats of all sorts tended to attack him on sight it only happened once in a while as he did his best to avoid cats all together. Drew shuddered to think what would happen if he got to close to the tiger enclosure at the zoo.

He returned he embrace and half smiled down at her. It was cute when she went all protective. Very few people tried that with him, hell they probably didn't feel the need.

"Sort of makes me a liability in there doesn't it? Maybe I could just provide a distraction instead of intimidation?"

Or he could wait outside. It was safe out here.
"Ya think?" She asked to his statement about being an obvious dog person. That was definitely a good thing. Perhaps he wouldn't mind a larger canine, one with piercings and wildly coloured fur.

Tavi laughed at his reply. "I guess no cats for your birthday then. Darn, that was exactly what I had in mind too! A big fluffy one."

She squeezed him tight, hugging her cheek to his chest for a moment more before pulling away.

"How about you stay here and I'll go in and question the last few people. I only need to find one or two more. If they won't talk I can always threaten to send you in while their cat is being looked at by the judges." Tavi gave him a mischievous smirk. "See, you're still helpful." She squeezed his arm lightly and smiled tenderly at him. "Thank you for coming with me. I appreciate it." He was so sweet that it was hard not to fall for him.

Swatting him playfully on the butt, she turned to leave. "Wait for me? I'll be right back." Tavi hated leaving him out here when he had accompanied her but it was obviously for the best. None of her people came even close to setting cats off quite the way Drew had. When they did it was usually to send them running, not attacking.
Drew 12 years ago
He laughed, it wasn't the usual easy sound it was a little forced but Drew was still a little tense. This was not his best day ever and he really just didn't have a good reason for what she'd just seen.

"I appreciate the change in plans... no cats."

He said with a grin. It was unlikely one would last long around the Den any way. Too many people like him for starters and then while not a preferred prey they were running a heck of a risk especially around the full moon.

He kissed the top of her head, truthfully a little relieved not to have to go back in the line of fire.

"Not exactly a a macho image is it? Run off by a bunch of cats."

Drew yelped a little when she went after his ass, more from surprise than anything else. He retaliated almost immediately by picking her up and pulling her against his chest and kissing the hell out of her. Hey, they weren't quite as in public that was to say most of the public was inside the building and they were out so it was acceptable.

Setting Tavi back down gently Drew gave her his best angelic look, it was very believable and he knew it.

"I'll just be sitting her like a good boy waiting."
Tavi laughed happily as Drew picked her up. It was quickly silenced by his mouth on her's, she wrapped her arms around him and melted into that kiss. When he set her down again she answered her thoughts on his comment. Becoming serious for once, Tavi looked up into his eyes.

"You came here knowing that they don't like you, knowing that they'd attack you like that. For me. I don't know if that is macho but its brave and very touching. People don't do things for me very often. It means a lot that you did."

With a smile, she added. " I'll protect you from the cats and you can protect me from everything else. How's that?"

Maybe he'll forget that she was a former cop. She was small and looked like she needed to be protected, normally that kind of assumption bothered her but Drew had never made it. It was another thing she liked about him and why she'd be happy if he was a little protective of her.

Turning back around, she jogged inside to get the answers that they were looking for. After that they could go somewhere like a nice sushi place and discuss the results of their findings.
Drew 12 years ago
"Yeah well it also wasn't terribly bright."

It was on his list of all time stupidest things to do, it really was. She wouldn't have made him come and he couldn't have said he had to work or just about anything else to cover himself, but no he had to be Mr. Nice Guy. It was going to get him killed some day.

Drew looked quizzically at her not really understanding. You just did things for people, especially people you liked. There wasn't anything to think about. He gave her another quick peck.

"Well they should."

He grinned at her, not for a second forgetting she was a scrappy little thing and capable of holding her own. Maybe Reign had taught him that, or at least given him the idea that smothering was not always protecting. Although, now that he thought about it, it was odd he'd be so overly protective with Reign and not as much so with Tavi. Of course, Tavi seemed to get in less trouble. No random wolves attacking her, no guys trying to break in or vampire neighbors. Yup, very few people were as much trouble as Reign. Maybe that was it. But ultimately he nodded and even very solemnly offered his hand to her to shake on it.

"Deal. But you're excused if it is like a tiger or something. I'll just run like hell."

He watched her trot off and found a place in the shade to just hang out for a while. Drew could be very inconspicuous when he put his mind to it and he did right then, it let him eaves drop on various conversations and watch the comings and goings of people and cats without much notice. He didn't think he'd turn anything up this way, but you never knew. Besides, if some one came flying out the door he could always tackle them. He smiled to himself, that could be fun.
Tavi smirked at Drew and nodded. "A tiger might be a bit much but a mountain lion and I'm all over it. No problem. I saw 'The Parent Trap'."

She went back inside and talked to a few more owners. There were some people that seemed universally despised and she didn't know if they just raised really good cats or if they were really the bad sort. Over all she had two to check out first.

Later tonight she would call a friend who had connections with some people in the phone company and see if she could get the cell phone calling records of her two main suspects. Then Tavi would need to look up the numbers one by one and see if anything worthwhile showed up. Something one of the owners had said made her start thinking. They mentioned that Mo had been approached for breeding deals among other things. If one of these people had kidnapped the cat would they kill it and play it safe? Or try to breed its show quality genes while they had the chance?

If they were keeping the furry little pain in the ass somewhere then they would have to make arrangements for it. Plus how did they get the prize winning flea bag out of his residence? She knew, according to Mr Blankenship, that Mo was safely at home when he went to work that morning and then not there when he came home. There were no signs of forced entry and no signs of broken windows or open doors to suggest the cat had just slipped out. She didn't believe he was taken by aliens as an example of the dominant species on the planet but since cats where such weird creatures she might believe that he was an alien, like all his species, and had simply taken a shuttle back to the mothership. Perhaps she had been around Tobi too much because that idea amused her greatly.

She came back out to Drew, sitting in the shade. He looked more relaxed now than he had been and that was good. Tavi came to stand over him, shielding her eyes from the sun as she looked down at him. ..and saw something interesting.

"So....shall we do lunch?"

Because I really think we need to talk, Tavi thought to herself.

((OOC: Both Out ))