Surprise Search and Rescue (attn: Eiryk)

Alex turned to wait for Eiryk as they climbed a steep embankment to get a look at the lay of the land from the top of the ridge. Tonight they weren't just hiking; they were orienteering, armed with a topographic map of the preserve and a compass. The park had several dozen markers around it and the topographic map, meant for orienteering, had each one marked. None of them corresponded to trails; instead they had to use the compass and the feature map to find each marker. It wasn't a task for the amateur hiker, considering how thick some of the undergrowth was when not cut through by a nicely maintained trail.

Alexander loved it. He knew he was still in the relatively tame confines of the Park but at least without the trails around it felt a lot more like a wilderness trek. He was afraid if he didn't use these skills he would lose them, and Eiryk had cheerfully agreed to come along. Alex didn't think it would be much of a challenge for his vampiric boyfriend but he hadn't counted on most of the Park flora reaching out and grabbing Eiryk at every opportunity.

"You know you're seriously disillusioning me about your kind's natural grace and superhuman sense of balance and all," Alex said wryly to Eiryk. He leaned in to kiss him gently on the lips, though. He loved every bit of Eiryk for Eiryk, who was actually quite graceful between trips and stumbles.

Eiryk 13 years ago
After about the fifth time Eiryk had fallen, or stumbled or other wise run into something he was starting to think maybe he should just let Alex outfit him. Why he hadn't before Eiryk wasn't sure, but if they kept this sort of thing up he was going to ruin a lot of clothing. Besides, it would be more fun to get something new and 'appropriate'.

The idea, however, had been a great one. Eiryk always had a compass with him but didn't often have the chance to use it. He could, of course, use the stars as well. Alex was no slouch and all in all it was a wonderful bit of team work to find the markers. He really was working himself up to trying a real trip, something outside the park and preserve, but it still made Eiryk a bit nervous. He was almost there though.

"That is why they keep me around. To challenge stereotypes. I'm also supposed to feast on nothing but female virgins at the height of the full moon, speak with an accent and wear a cape... never did develop a taste for that."

Eiryk returned the light kiss and paused thoughtfully.

"Although I should try wearing a cape again, something with a red satin lining. I must have -something- in storage. Did you want to help look for it?"

He didn't have the courage to look at Alex again after that and instead looked up at the stars taking a bit of a reading and comparing it to the compass, they seemed right on track so far. Honestly if they were on the trails Eiryk probably would have run after that little aside expecting some sort of playful retaliation from his boyfriend, but he'd gotten rather leery of the vegetation, it wasn't even poisen ivy and it was dangerous.
Alex Aristos 13 years ago
Alexander laughed softly at Eiryk. "Yeah sure. I'll help you find your cape. Want me to scrounge up a female virgin for you too, while you're busy regressing?"

Turning to eye Eiryk critically he added,
"Besides, red will just make you look washed out. You really should go with a nice blue lining, to match your eyes."

Checking the map one more time he leaned over Eiryk's shoulder to see the compass. Alex was glad that Eiryk seemed to be enjoying himself in spite of the fact that nature seemed to be out to get him. He was slowly, slowly getting Eiryk used to the idea of a camping trip. Alex was certain he could find a way to do so with no harm to Eiryk.

One thing was sure, Alex might be good with a compass but Eiryk was incredible. Alex could not find his way by the stars; he used the compass and map. Eiryk, however, knew exactly where they were every step of the way. It was impressive.

"Can you teach me how to do that?" He asked, pointing up as Eiryk looked at the sky again.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"I wouldn't know what to do with her if you did. Besides why mess with perfection?"

Apparently every one had an eye for color these days. Not that he disagreed with Alex, red was not his best color.

Eiryk was a big fan of this whole leaning over to check the map thing. He was trying to figure out where else he could put it. This could turn into a great game, 'hide the map'.

Alex's request made him grin, tickled by the idea of getting to teach his boyfriend something, share with him.

"Yeah? Absolutley we can do that pretty easy."

Eiryk loved the night sky, not like some of his friends did but it was a fantastic tool. He was already plotting books telescopes and other things to teach Alex.

"Where do you buy a sextant these days?"

Eiryk was so busy musing he turned failed to see a root and litterally face planted. He lay there muttering but as he was thinking about getting up he thought he heard something.
Alexander laughed and hugged Eiryk close. He was glad for his partner's preferences. He couldn't imagine being with anyone else, and didn't want anyone else. He hadn't looked twice at anything on two legs since meeting Eiryk and he was fine with that. Eiryk was his family now.

"You can get just about anything on Ebay and Amazon," he supplied helpfully as Eiryk wondered out loud about equipment.

He turned away and began walking again just before he heard the telltale crash that indicated some other glorious part of nature had grabbed his boyfriend in a desperate attempt to eat him. Alex turned back to discover Eiryk had not bounced back up as he usually did. He went back over to him and crouched next to him, touching Eiryk's shoulder lightly with his hand.

"Eiryk? You okay? What's wrong?"

He had yet to see the hurt Eiryk couldn't recover from but what if it happened? Alexander knew CPR and was certified in first aid but could he even help Eiryk with those skills? He was suddenly very aware of that lack. Why didn't they have vampire first aid courses at the local fire department?
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk wrinkled his nose in a bit of distastes. He really didn't like the idea of internet shopping for classical tools. They might get something cheap and non-functional. After all how many people used as sextant these days? Eiryk didn't want a cheapdecrative knock off he wanted the real thing, something usable.

"I might have the relevant tools in storage, along with the cape. We'll have to look."

You racked up a lot of things in storage in a thousand years or so. Mostly Eiryk was rather organized about things though and didn't have to go through miles and miles of lockers to find what he was looking for. Perhaps he should sell some of what he had off, but the value was more sentimental than anything no matter how valuable the piece was.

Right now thought he was much more interested in what he heard, or thought he heard. Eiryk reached up and put a stilling hand on Alex's shouldered, well about Alex's shoulders he was in an odd position after all.

Nope, there it was again soft, weak and faint; still it was not too far away.

"Fine. Fine." He replied absently as he rose to his knees and listened hard. "Can you hear that?"

Eiryk really didn't think Alex could, but you never knew. All he was hearing right now was a plaintive wine, maybe a tiny little bark now and then. It was odd. It seemed to be in the opposite direction of their next marker but he couldn't shake the sound either.

"Do yo mind a detour?"
"Hear what?" Alex was relieved to see that Eiryk seemed fine. He was distracted though, which seemed unusual given the setting and location. He held out a hand to help Eiryk back to his feet.

"Of course I don't mind a detour. What is it that you hear?"

He understood Eiryk's hearing was much better than his own so he wasn't too concerned, just curious.

"Lead the way. I'll be right behind you."
Eiryk 13 years ago
Behind could be dangerous, of course so could in front or to the side, so Eiryk didn't really say anything

"Sounded like an animal... maybe a dog. Could be nothing."

More like a puppy, something young. It really probably was nothing but something about the sound had bothered him. So he set about schlepping them off into the woods with no path at all in mind.

It was a lot trickier following such a small sound then you would have though. Especially as nature was out to get him. He didn't face plant again but there were some harry moments as they pushed through the undergrowth.

They must be getting closer as the sound was getting louder and he turned to Alex at one point to see if his boyfriend could hear it now. Eiryk was starting to suspect he knew what he was looking for now and kept looking at the ground. Looking for some dug up earth and other signs.

Eventually he did see that and there was no mistaking the crying. The question was if the little thing was just hungry or alone or hurt. Hungry for sure she looked emaciated.

"Poor little thing."

Eiryk had stopped a fair bit away not wanting to just tromp into a den, but it was easy to point out the little kit to Alex.

His heart went out to the kit, he didn't have to get too close to talk to it.

[What's wrong little one?]

[Hungry.]

Well, that didn't take a rocket scientist. But it could be the vixen was out hunting.

[Where is your mother?]

[Gone.]

[How long has she been gone.]

Well that took a minute for the kit to answer, some times the concept of time didn't always work for animals. They would know the time of day and about what happened at that time but how many days... that was up for grabs. The kit finally answered.

[Long time.]

"I think he is an orphan."
Alex forged through the undergrowth with Eiryk along some sort of unseen path. Before too long he thought he heard what Eiryk had; a tiny moan followed by a yip, repeated over and over. It was a plaintive sound.

When Eiryk pointed it out Alex had to squint to see it. It was barely a den. It was more of a scrape - an area beneath an overhanging rock that had been partially dug into to make a sort of shelter. Inside was a lone fox kit.

After their adventure at the climbing gym Eiryk had told him a nice long story about certain abilities he had, or claimed to have. Alexander didn't know quite how to take that and couldn't even begin to imagine what talking to foxes must look or sound like. Eiryk simply stood there looking at it and it sat there looking back.

Alexander instinctively sought to make himself smaller and less threatening so he crouched down and then knelt. Turning to look up at Eiryk he said,
"How do you know?"

He couldn't see the kit well, dark as it was. He was surprised it wasn't snarling or running away however.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"He told me."

Eiryk said simply. It wasn't odd for him to speak to the little animal like this and he had, after all, told Alex he was able to do so. He smiled down at his lover understanding what Alex was doing. It was rather sweet.

"Well not in so many words but he said his mother has been gone a long time."

You didn't get long detailed conversations from a fox, or from what he understood any other animal. The kit didn't look good, Eiryk suspected it had been days since he had eaten but he still didn't want to interfere with the kit and its mother.

[How long?]

Eiryk did his best to convey the concept of time as cycles of light and dark. That seemed to strike a chord with the young animal. The little head nodded.

[Many darks.]

That clinched it. The vixen wouldn't have left a lone kit by itself for days at a time.

Sitting down on the ground he held out his hand hoping that the kit would understand and accept.

[Friend?]

The kit backed away a bit, turned in a circle, took a few steps forward and then just stopped. Clearly undecided on the matter.

[Man.]

That seemed to sum it up for the young fox.

[Mostly.] He agreed. [Friend too.]

Again the kit hesitated before creeping forward it's little nose leading the way sniffing cautiously.

"I don't think he'd be this bold but he's got to be starving. Watch your fingers."
Alexander made a neutral noise of comprehension. It was a bit difficult to understand how this worked but who was he to disbelieve? He'd seen Eiryk float. Talking to foxes seemed a whole lot more believable when he remembered that.

"He?"

Did the fox have a voice, or was Eiryk just assuming? That interested Alex but he stayed silent and still so as not to frighten the kit. There was staring. Eiryk sat down next to Alex on the ground and held his hand out. More staring.

And then, surprisingly, the little kit moved. It backed away, circled, and then began to slowly come forward. As it emerged into the moonlight Alexander could see just how very small it was. He probably could have held it in the palm of his hand. And even from here he could see that it was hungry.

It was a red fox, its features very exaggerated by the fact that his whole body seemed sunken in. Alex had seen baby animals before. They were supposed to be fat and fluffy. This poor little kit was emaciated, its fur very dull.

Alex was not known for being he hard-hearted type. He bit his lip as the fox slowly crept closer.
"Poor kit."

He glanced at Eiryk and nodded at the warning. "I will."

He wasn't going to touch the fox. It was responding to Eiryk, not him. Alex didn't want to overwhelm the little thing.
Eiryk 13 years ago
It broke Eiryk's heart to see how poorly the little fellow was doing. He couldn't be long for this world from the looks of it. He didn't know what to do, well he knew what he had to do he had to get some food into this poor kit.

[So little guy would you come with us? Get something to eat?]

The kit, which had been sniffing his fingers with its fine twitching nose, sat down and just looked at him.

[Girl.]

[What?] Eiryk was confused by that statement.

[Female. Not male.]

The little thing sounded genuinely put out about his mistake. Eiryk couldn't help but laugh and he cautiously and very -very- gently stroked -her- head.

[OK but food?]

He got a yipping bark and another little happy circle instead of an actual answer. Good enough.

"Apparently he is a she."

[Eiryk.] He pointed to himself and then touched Alex's shoulder [Alex. Alex has food, we might have to go get it though.]

The promise of food was enough to get the kit to turn its attention to Alex and look expectantly.

"I'm might have told her you have some food."

Even if they fed her right now she'd not make it on her own, not long. She was so tiny and had no one to teach her. An idea was starting to form in Eiryk's head but he wasn't quite ready to say it aloud.
Alexander watched in wonder as the fox kit came up to Eiryk and actually let him touch it. "Cool," he said softly.

He watched Eiryk's gesture, aware of the universal sign that clearly indicated some introductions were taking place. And then the little creature turned to him and looked at him hopefully while Eiryk explained.

"Does she even eat solid food yet?" He asked. She was impossibly tiny. "I mean if she was waiting for her mother to feed her... and she obviously hasn't tried to feed herself."

He felt his pockets; sometimes he had a granola bar or something on him but not now.
"I don't have anything. But it might be better for her if we got a milk replacement or something right?"

He held out his hand for the tiny kit to sniff if she wanted but he did mind his fingers. Especially because he didn't want her to mistake them for food.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Huh, you know I don't know that is a good question."

Eiryk hadn't thought that through had he? Some how he had assumed that she was older and only looked so small and young because she hadn't eaten lately.

[What do you eat little one?]

[Milk.]

The answer came quick enough and she kept looking at Alex finally jumping up and nipping at one of Alex's fingers, trying to nurse from it.

"Well, you win she isn't on solid foods yet. Where do you get milk for her this time of night?"

Eiryk scratched his head very puzzled. He wasn't even sure what kind of milk to get her. Whole milk? Just out of a groceries store or something more specialized.

He chuckled at her antics.

[I don't think you are going to get milk from Alex.]

At which she eyed both he and Alex suspiciously. [Hungry.]

[We'll fix it. Patience.]

"Ummmm... do you think we should maybe take her home with us? Get her something to eat..."

The suggestion was offered hesitantly. The little kit wasn't a pet, it was a wild animal but well they couldn't just leave her there to fend for herself.
Alex smiled at Eiryk. "Never raised a baby critter before?" The little kit seized his fingertip and he felt the inside of her mouth; she had no teeth yet, just hard bits on her gums where teeth would eventually be.

"I don't think she can be too much different from a kitten can she? We can buy a milk replacer at a store. I know you can't feed them cow's milk."

Alexander blinked at Eiryk's question.
"Of course we should take her home. We can't leave her here alone, she'll die." If Eiryk was looking for Alex to be the voice of caution and restraint here, it wasn't going to happen. Alex was far to tender-hearted to abandon the kit to her fate.

"Maybe we can find a vet who can look at her and make sure she's okay otherwise. And we can go from there. Surely there's a zoo or a nature reserve that has staff who could raise her properly."

He looked at the little kit. "Will she let me carry her?"

It might have been more logical for Eiryk to do so but the kit was tiny and fragile and the way the woods had been trying to do Eiryk in, Alexander thought it might be safer for all involved if she would let him pick her up instead.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Nope, never. But kitten, puppy... yeah something like that."

Eiryk was relived to hear that they could get something to feed the kit and that Alex had an idea what to do. He affectionately ran his hand through Alex's hair, he was so capable and sweet how could you -not- love this man? It was something of a relief to hear that Alex was on the same page about taking their new friend home.

[Little one would you come home with us? Food there.]

Still futilely toying with Alex's fingers looking for food she paused and looked up at Eiryk almost as if considering.

[Home. Food.]

Eiryk shook his head and tried to translate.

"Well I think she'd at least willing to come with us."

He looked a little guilty for two reasons. The first was Eiryk wasn't sure he was willing to turn the little kit over to any one. He really didn't like that idea. The poor thing had already lost one family it didn't need to be shuffled around to any one or try and fit into a new home. But he'd broach that idea with Alex later. The other was... well he hadn't thought about having Alex carry her and well... Alex was right he'd probably squash the poor thing.

"I think she will let's ask."

[Home is far. Can Alex take you?]

[Alex. Food.]

[Yes he'll carry you to home and food. Good?]

[Good.]

And she poked Alex with her nose and placed one tiny paw on his boyfriend's knee.

"You're her friend and her ride now."
Alex waited dutifully, quiet while Eiryk and the little fox kit stared at each other some more. He watched the kit's big ears twitch back and forth as if she were actually hearing Eiryk's voice. Similarly, Eiryk's face changed expressions as if he were conversing out loud with the fox.

He could guess at what was going through Eiryk's head by the guilty expression on his face. Alex wasn't going to count his chickens before they hatched, but if the kit was trainable, and he had to imagine she was, with Eiryk able to converse with her, Alex wasn't going to say no. He was just of the 'wait and see' school of thought, where Eiryk tended to be of the 'foregone conclusion' school.

It was finally decided that Alex was an acceptable route to food, so when the kit put a paw on his knee Alex gently reached out and with both hands lifted the tiny shivering ball of red fluff, smiling as he cradled her against his chest. He'd never touched a fox before. He imagined that, like a kitten or puppy, the sound of a heartbeat might be soothing. So he held her against his chest with his left hand and stood, turning to Eiryk.

"There should be a trail nearby. I don't see any reason to forge our way back out."

Doing it the hard way was all well and good but now they had another mission for tonight and it would be better to expedite the process of getting back to the car by using the groomed route.

"We can stop at a pet store on the way home and get whatever we need."

This was Nachton - surely they'd be able to find a 24/7 pet store.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Yeah, there should be. Where is that map?"

The map was quickly located and Eiryk found where they were on it and once oriented finding the trail was easy. Eiryk kept looking over at Alex and smiling. It was too cute how careful Alex was being and how the kit nestled against him. Eiryk -really- wanted to keep her. He'd had relationships with foxes before, knew where they lived checked in on them asked them not to eat his chickens and such and he'd always found them rewarding. Besides, she was adorable.

It didn't take long to get to the trail and then to the car. Since Alex was holding the kit Eiryk opened the door for the two of them.

"She'll need a few things, even just for the night. She can't sleep on the floor."

Or in the bed. With his luck Eiryk would roll over and crush her. In thirty seconds or less Eiryk had a mental shopping list three pages long.

"The only place I know with a late night pet store is in the Towers though."

And tonight was a night they had planned on spending at Alex's. Eiryk didn't want to disrupt that, especially not with Marie coming in that morning.

"That can't be the only one though. We'll find something though."
Alex smiled at Eiryk's concern for the kit, who was still shivering. He could imagine that even able to talk to Eiryk, this must be terribly frightening for her. First abandoned and left unable to fend for herself and then assaulted by humans, even one who could talk to her. He had no doubt that desperation played a large part in her willingness to come along.

He settled into the passenger seat of the car, cradling his tiny burden very carefully. He did have a granola bar in there but she clearly did not have teeth to chew it. It would be cruel to offer her food she could not eat, so he didn't even bring it out.

"There's a pet shop down on the strip, kind of out of the way around a corner but it's not far from the store," he said to Eiryk. "I can show you where."

It would be best, he thought, to bring the kit to his place anyway. Eiryk's apartment was beautiful, posh, and full of expensive and valuable things. Alexander's apartment, conversely, was crap. And if anything was broken, chewed, urinated on, or otherwise destroyed, well, he didn't have a lot of belongings he valued. He did make a note to put his blanket in a very safe place though.

He thought out loud.
"I know tame foxes use litter trays," he said. "And they have those little houses for cats, the little soft beds with covers on them? Maybe she would be okay in there. It would be kind of like a den. And of course milk. And maybe some shampoo."

There would be other things she would need too but those basics would get them through the night at least. And, well, Alex figured it wouldn't hurt to confront what was sort of obvious, to him, anyhow.

"Do you know what the laws about exotic pets are within city limits?" he asked Eiryk softly. "Because if they're allowed at all, you'll definitely need a license."

He smiled at his boyfriend. He knew how Eiryk thought by now.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Starting the car and pulling out he listened to Alex and kept casting nervous, concerned glances at the little kit. She was not doing well. It could just be that she was cold, tired and hungry. But maybe there would a vet at this shop to give her a quick once over.

But each word Alex said gave Eiryk a tiny bit of hope. He wanted to bounce a bit but couldn't as he was driving.

"Well she isn't going to get terribly big is she? Certainly not a Great Dane so I think we can manage those. And I'll check the paperwork in the morning. How much trouble can one little girl be?"

It didn't even occur to Eiryk that Alex might still be speaking hypothetically. Nope, Eiryk had taken those words to mean they were keeping their new friend.

"Let's give her a night or two before ewe ask her if she wants to stay with is. She's had a rough go I'd like her to be more relaxed and comfortable before she decides."

He might be able to keep a cat, or even a dog as a pet but being able to communicate with foxes made it a bit different. Eiryk would know if the kit was not happy or wanted to leave and he wouldn't be able to hold her against her will.
Alex gently stroked the little kit's head with his fingertips. She was resting quietly against him, not moving at all. He could still feel her shaking but she had relaxed a little into his cupped hand.

Smiling at Eiryk he nodded.
"It's your call," he said. "She's your baby." Of course, Eiryk had associated him to the fox with food so Alexander had to wonder if she was going to start thinking of him as her surrogate mother. That would be... interesting.

He didn't say anything else though. Whatever happened with the kit happened. He knew Eiryk didn't want to give her up but he didn't think he would make her stay if she were unhappy. And, thanks to his interesting ability, he could be very clear on whether or not she was happy.

"Turn down here," he said, indicating the direction of the pet store. "It's down at the end of the road."

Reaching around behind the seat he grabbed his windbreaker and shrugged into it, careful not to jostle the kit. He couldn't see one of them staying here in the car but he didn't want the bright lights or curious onlookers to further frighten the kit so he slid his hand into the light jacket and made a sort of pouch for her against his chest, tucking her into it.

"This should work for now," he said to Eiryk with a smile. "Let's go get what she needs for an overnight."

And maybe longer.

((ooc: Alex and Eiryk out))