Earth, Air, Fire... (Attn Mai)

God damned son of a bitch. Damaris looked for something to throw but all she saw off hand was some towels. And a bench. Well she could throw that but then where would she sit? Possibly she could break a mirror but that was always messy. Some days you just couldn't find your center.

"Be like water my ass."

She heaved a sigh, kicked the bench, and then went back to the kata she had been working on. Really maybe tonight she should have just watched an old Bruce Lee instead of trying to practice. Damaris had meant to check in with the Elder a good deal sooner, but some how hadn't found her.

Some member of the Hunt she was, couldn't even find one Elder. But, the Elder would undoubtedly show up in her own time. Until then, all she could do was keep looking, make herself easy to be found and... be like water

Mai 13 years ago
Mai sat in stoat form at the entrance of the dojo perched on her hind legs and watching the scene in front of her as the dark haired Huntsman vented her frustration on various objects in the room. If her current form could be amused then it would be. The grousing sounded very similar to Ambrose.

Swapping forms, she continued to stand in the doorway. Mai commented on the advice of Bruce Lee, excellent advice. She had liked him. "Water can flow or it can crash, Damaris-chan."

Stepping into the dojo, she came forward and gave the taller woman a small bow. "Konbanwa."

Falling in the pattern of the kata that Damaris had been working on Mai accompanied her silently until it was done. She found the movements to be soothing to the mind, even the most strenuous pattern was like a meditation. Once it was finished she turned calm white eyes to her fellow Hunter and asked.

"You have are not feeling much like water, ne? More like fire?"

((OOC: Thank you, Mr Lee for the lovely quote ))
Damaris 13 years ago
Next time she was going to try looking like a fool and losing her temper sooner Damaris thought wryly. She shook her head and bowed more deeply than the Elder had.

"Good evening Mai-sama. I seem to be mastering the crashing tonight."

With Mai joining her Damaris somehow managed to get through the kata. Generally she enjoyed this kind of practice, but she was a little on edge not having found any one to ask about her attack and still rather worried about Ambrose.

She smiled at the observation.

"Well I don't know about that, I don't feel very raging inferno or even toasty warm hearth. Maybe water with no movement at all or a fire who's heat is being lost."

This was probably one of the reasons she didn't often leave Scotland without and assignment. When she had no job, when she was directionless she got irritable. In another night or two she was going to start helping the staff with the dishes, and possibly start eating just to make sure there were dishes to do.
Mai 13 years ago
Mai nodded at Damaris. Crashing had it place. The important question would be is this the place? It depended on why she felt the need to be emotional.

She knelt on the floor of the dojo and looked up at the tall woman. Smoothing her hand over the pale lavender hakama embroidered with white flowers along the hem line. The kimono was a pale robin's egg blue with pink sakura flowers and the obi was a deep emerald green. Mai was very festive for spring. Her long hair had been piled up in a high bun on her head and some fresh flowers from the gardens had been tucked into it.

"Still water is not so bad, Damaris-chan." Much goes on beneath the surface of still water. However, she wondered what the trouble was.

"Why have you become still? Have you become trapped in a pond?" It was hard to flow in a small pool. Mai could say then that the lesson was to be still and wait for the rain to free you from the boundaries of the pond but even she was not sure she believed that. After a while the analogy lost it place. The nature of water was what was desired as a whole. Adapt to your surroundings.

"What troubles you?"
Damaris 13 years ago
Lowering herself on to the floor Damaris floated a towel over to her and wiped her face and used her fingers to comb damp hair out of her face. Yeah, compared to the elder she looked like she'd been run over by a truck, she'd even made due with yoga pants and a tank top instead of an actual gi or anything so formal. But that didn't bother her, in fact she only barley noticed.

"Still water breeds disease. It grows stagnant and foul."

That was one aspect of water Damaris had no trouble emulating she needed movement, something to do a purpose.

It seemed like bad manners to say she was cross because she hadn't been able to find Mai. It probably also meant she hadn't been looking hard enough. Besides, what self respecting member of the -Hunt- couldn't find another. So Damaris just let that go...

Frowning she tried to think how to explain why she'd come without sounding like an alarmist or some idiot wet behind the ears vampire panicking at their first sign of trouble. Finally she gave up, shrugged and as mater of factly as possible laid out what had happened, the attack, the questioning and this whole obsession these vampires had with command.

"It seemed too important to just put in an email. And I'd hate to leave something out."
Mai 13 years ago
Mai smiled softly as the description that Damaris gave of still water. With a small laugh, she said.

"Perhaps you should try to be a lake and not a cesspool."

She listened to the very straight forward retelling of the attack, the capture of one of the people and the information gained from the experience. Jin would want to know what had happened. It was obvious that this failed attempt was part of the same series of crimes that he was investigating.

Mai nodded, not entirely sure what an email was but figured that it involved a letter of some sort. She imagined that it could get lost and perhaps take a long time in reaching its destination. Damaris was right; it was much better to come in person.

"There have been other attacks. Until now, they have all been successful." Mai confirmed what the other woman already knew. "They all had command. Almost all used command during the war with the ookami. Some were children, also with command, of the ones from the war."

She was thoughtful. "Jin-san from the Order of the Night is trying to find the killer. He would be grateful to hear your information. I am sure." Mai tilted her head to the side. "Until then, Damaris-chan, your Order has many people to protect. Your assistance would be most helpful." She did not say that Damaris also needed protection. She was wise enough to be vigilant and to choose aid if she felt it necessary. Many of the Hunt could also be stubborn, especially if it were to be implied that they could not handle themselves in a time of danger.
Damaris 13 years ago
Not bad advise. Damaris smiled wryly at the suggestion and promised herself to be more open to being still water.

That news didn't sit well with her at all. She muttered under her breath in Gaelic it was unconscionable, they had lost people to these bastards and from the sounds of it they were not spring chickens. The only consolation Damaris could really take from this was despite his age Dougal didn't have command, neither did Graham.

"I'm sorry I killed the bastard. I should have brought him back with me."

Ookami wasn't a word Damaris knew but there was enough of a context there she was able to pick up what the Elder was saying. She had not expected that this had anything to do with them. Although not old enough to have been involved in the war Damaris was not ignorant of wolves and had some dealings with them. They had been few and far between, but suddenly she regretted not telling her offspring about them. Well she'd add that to her list with at least the one who was here.

"Of course Elder. I'd be happy to talk to him and my help is a given just say when and where."

And thank god for it. She needed something to do there was no way she could stay here with out an assignment of some sort.

She made a bit of a face and paused for a second or two before asking her next question.

"My youngest has the same gift, he's here in town. Is this all top secret or should I give him a heads up on this?"
Mai 13 years ago
Mai nodded at the words of her fellow hunter; sometimes they did not think their choices through so fully. It would have been nice to be able to question him more carefully using someone in the Night who knew of the situation and what information they needed and could hope to gain.

"There will be more, Damaris-chan. We will make this so."

As the Hunt it was their duty to protect their clan and Mai took it personally when someone thought they could get away with slaughtering those in her care.

She nodded to the other woman and sighed slightly.

"The Hunt is very busy and we need to keep Morrigan safe. Bara-chan has been difficult for us. She has been slipping free of her guard when she feels the need to be alone."

Mai wondered if Morrigan had spent too much time as a member of the Rose. The once warrior queen failed to grasp the urgent need of the clan to keep her safe. Morrigan was the biggest target in a rapidly decreasing list of ancients with command. She was -the- Elder of the Rose. Her death would send the clan into turmoil while they found someone to replace her. Anantya would be crippled without her leadership and the clan would be thrown into chaos, most certainly the Anantya of Nachton.

Werewolves and murderers made this a dangerous place to be a vampire.

Tilting her head, Mai asked. "Who is your child, Damaris-chan?"
Damaris 13 years ago
Damaris nodded tightly, with determination. That was the trouble when you didn't have all the information, well she did now and the next one wasn't going to get off so easy. It wasn't any one's fault that this first one she'd finished off, this wasn't a situation you could go singing from the rooftops. However, Damaris still felt responsible for destroying a potential lead and would go out of her way to correct it.

Why did so many older vampires thing they were immortal? Oh wait, it was because they were. It wasn't funny, yet it was. Damaris couldn't help but laugh a little that the Elder of the Rose was eluding the Hunt.

"Well then some extra eyes won't hurt. I'm happy to take my turn and contribute."

She understood why the Elder would be taking such risks and... well there wasn't much you could do about it except try and get a head of her and out smart her. Good luck with that. You'd think Morrigan could settle for being alone some where nice and secure and well guarded.

Ultimately the point was, like most if not all members of her order Damaris would die before letting something happen to any member of the clan she was responsible for.

Even knowing Ambrose and Mai must have met she was a little hesitant to name names. The boy could rub people the wrong way and she had no idea how Mai felt about him. But she must have seen some potential at least or he wouldn't have been allowed to join the Hunt.

"A surly thorn in my side by the name of Ambrose Townsend."

As harsh as the words were, Damaris couldn't help the genuine affection that crept into her voice.

"If he hasn't been pulling his weight with this..."
Mai 13 years ago
"Hai, Amir-san and I have been taking turns watching with the others. It has been necessary."

Mai frowned slightly. She was not certain where the rebellious spirit was coming from but it was making the Hunt's job more difficult. There was a small team always assigned to the Elder of the Rose since the chain of murders brought the violence to Nachton. However, a small group of less experienced soldiers could still be foiled and diverted by Morrigan's cunning. It had become necessary to make sure someone with more experience was watching at all times as well.

Damaris told her the name of her child and Mai smiled.

"Ah, Ambrose-san. He has been doing very well."

She genuinely liked the young Huntsman. He was honest and dedicated. Mai also appreciated that he was good at what he did; despite those weapons not being her favorite choice. That reminded her of the intention to get him to show her how to shoot. It might continue to be a postponed lesson until this murderer was caught and killed.

"Ambrose-san has been...pulling his weight very well." Mai smiled. "He shot a bear recently. You should ask him about it." Her white eyes shined mischievously at the somewhat clouded truth that would require Ambrose to explain how he came to be shooting a bear while on a mission.
Damaris 13 years ago
It was a name Damaris knew but she had never met the man. From what little she knew he was good at his job, but that was all she knew. It might be interesting to meet him.

Mai's frown spoke volumes. Well, that was going to be fun. Maybe if they didn't tell Morrigan who was watching her it would help. Unlikely, but possible. Granted Damaris herself wasn't terribly old but she did know more than a few tricks. If nothing else it would be a good chance to learn something and probably teach something too. Oddly enough she looked forward to the challenge.

Her eyes widened when Mai smiled at Ambrose's name. What in hells name... well that was good. Damaris relaxed a little bit. Not that Ambrose would do anything but his best but, his 'best' could be... difficult.

"I think I might not be ready to hear that story Elder. But so long as he's working on living up to his promise I'm happy."

Damaris didn't mention that she was semi avoiding Ambrose. But since she seemed to have authority to tell him those with command were being hunted she would pay him a visit. She had promised to let Ysabel witness the reunion and intended to live up to that promise. It should be fun. She might want to have a good meal before visiting though, the odds were good she'd have to regenerate her left lung or something.
Mai 13 years ago
Mai laughed lightly at her words, thinking that perhaps the relationship between Damaris and her child was an interesting one. Ambrose seemed a very complicated individual but she liked him. She wondered if he would be happier now that his Creator was here of if he was in that stage of wanting independence. It was hard sometimes for her to determine when someone was considered old or young anymore. Everyone tended to be young to her.

"He is very skilled. Listens well. Shoots better." She concluded with a smile. "I like him. You chose well."

Mai rocked back and stood up. "Is there anything else you need, Damaris-chan?"
Damaris 13 years ago
Ambrose?! Listen?! That had to be a first. Although, it was likely he would listen to Elder Mai, it made sense. More often than not it would be about business and he was very serious about his work, always had been and he more or less knew who he could piss off just because he felt like it.

Damaris sighed and wound up chucking a little bit, mostly at her self, her own relief that her child was indeed fitting into the Hunt like she thought he would.

"I'm glad you approve Elder."

Still smiling Dmaris rolled easily to her feet.

"No, not right now thank you. Just let me know when and where you want me to help with... this mess. I can't be woolgathering."

Especially in a place with no sheep and she doubted the staff would approve if she started keeping them around either.
Mai 13 years ago
"Hai, Ambrose-san is good for the clan." More children should be. Mai believed that Ambrose was very hard on himself but that kept him in good practice. It was good to keep learning and improving otherwise the years start to have no meaning.

Bowing to Damaris, Mai then nodded.

"Iie,we do not herd sheep here." She appeared as serenely straight faced as always though she was inwardly amused. Mai knew what Damaris meant but chose to take her statement more literally. Typically shepherds would probably want to keep their Order away from the sheep.

"You may begin at the Elder's office tomorrow night. We appreciate the help. Arigato, Damaris-chan."

She smiled then and turned to leave. There were no sheep to gather but there were plenty of other things to hunt.

((OOC: Mai out ))
Damaris 13 years ago
That was an enormous compliment. Damaris was dead curious about what Ambrose had done to garner that kind of praise from Mai. And she still wondered about the bear thing. Apparently her youngest had some stories to tell.

Bowing, careful to bow lower, she couldn't decide if laughing was appropriate or not. Finally deciding that it wasn't going to hurt she did, lightly, before smiling wryly.

"Yeah, they'd probably just attract the wolves."

Figuratively and literally and she didn't think bringing wolves to the manor was a good idea.

She almost sighed with relief now that she had a job to do, but she was too old and too much of a hunter to actually show that. Still, it felt like a great weight off her chest.

"Thank you Elder."

Letting Mai have a good head start Damaris cleaned up after herself and decided it wasn't too late to go out hunting herself.

(OOC... out)