The Crusty Old Salt and the Sunshine

Kai found a spot on the back porch that was free of shade, and tucked her body into the high backed wicker chair there. It was like some angel had known she was coming and had reserved the perfect spot for her. She'd been in the warm waters of the Eastern Seaboard for over a week, and was still cold. With a soft sigh, she lifted her face to the sun and pulled out her phone.

She could have done this sooner, but she'd required a shower and then to have her body home. The Den had become her home and she'd missed it all those months cut off from the world except for her weekly twenty minutes of personal time on the sat-link, and she's used that time to talk to her mom, so her contact with the Nachton pack was nil beyond saying good-bye just before the autumnal equinox.

Pulling up her text app she typed one handed and with only one eye squinted open:

~I finally made it back home, though I'm pretty sure the Arctic waters have permanently frozen my bones.~

She sent it to Drew and Brig and her Assistant at the Aquarium. They were her friends and while she didn't know if they'd worried about her, she didn't have anyone else she wanted to text.

Kai tossed the much abused bit of technology onto the low table in front of her, and leaned her head back on the chair to let the sun do everything it could to warm the perma-chill from her. She knew two things from this trip, Arctic sea animals were cool, and she would never ever visit them again. Her Aussie blood just couldn't hack the cold.

((anyone is welcome to come say hi, Kai's just going to hang in the sun for a while. ))

Brig Jameson 13 years ago
~I finally made it back home, though I'm pretty sure the Arctic waters have permanently frozen my bones.~

Brig looked at his phone and his eyebrows rose up with surprise.
"Oh my," he murmured softly as he sat at his desk going over the damage that the Pipers had 'unofficially' caused during the downtown strip gas explosion.

It had been months since he had talked to Kai, much less seen her. After they had broken up (if they were ever officially a couple to begin with - he was still vague on that) he did not see hide nor hair of the golden haired wolf. He had hoped her disappearance had not been a direct result of their relationship ending, but even if it was, she was back again. Quite a bit had happened to him since she disappeared from his life: meeting Viv, falling in love with Viv, hiding it from every one, proposing to Viv, finding out Viv was pregnant.... Yeah, quite a bit.

Brig hit the reply button and his thumbs hung hesitantly over the screen. It had been a group message, so he kept it fairly ambiguous.

~Hail and well met! Nachton's rainy days should at least melt the ice. Welcome back!~

He looked at he message for a minute, trying to see if it was polite without seeming syrupy silly. Rolling his eyes he shook his head and sent the message as is, hoping for the best.
Kai 13 years ago
Kai had quiet fallen asleep in the warm late afternoon sunshine. Granted it was barely 60 degrees, but to her it felt like a blissful summer's eve. The gryating buzz and horn honk of her phone startled her from the light sleep. Picking up the black rectangle she slid her finger across the screen and then chuckled.

~Hail and well met! Nachton's rainy days should at least melt the ice. Welcome back!~

She poked the reply button and typed. ~I must be in a different part of Nachton or the back porch is immune from rain and clouds. Thanks for the welcome back, I'm glad to be home. How's tricks?~

Perhaps texting wasn't the best way to catch up with someone, but it was just about all she wanted to muster. The lazy wolf in her liked the sun spot too much to think about moving or making plans.

Her phone buzzed in her hands and startled her, it was from Anne the very efficient assistant. ~WB boss-lady, coming in tomorrow or should we hold down the fort one more day?~

A soft sigh escaped her, and she typed ~I'll be in tomorrow, if for no other reason than to be seen.~

Work... That was definitely not missed while aboard the Dawn Chaser, not in the least.
How was tricks, he wondered to himself. Brig wasn't altogether sure if blurting out the past couple of month's events was a good idea, so he maintained his friendly tone.

~Uh, same ole, same ole. We missed seeing you around the property. Back at the Den already?~

LT had casually asked about Kai once after the boat trip, but that had been during Brig's feud with Hammer and had suffered that complete personality change. At the time Brig shrugged and remained silent. Kai had missed the entire thing, which was probably better for their friendship anyway.
Kai 13 years ago
She'd closed her eyes again, but the need to sleep was gone, so the horn honk and vibration didn't startle her this time. A cozy sort of smile curled her lips. During her time on the boat, she'd decided that Brig was a good enough man to be her friend, and she could and would leave the rest behind her. The tryst on the island notwithstanding, she would enjoy that memory until it faded.

~I missed you guys too, but one doesn't say no when a chance to head up a research team in the coastal waters of the antarctic to study the effects of the oil spill on migratory mammals comes along. Besides the paper work at NUA was driving me claustrophobic.

I made it in this morning, but had to do all the official mooring crap and then debrief with the NU muckity-mucks, and shower, then I came home. I missed the smells of...family~

She hit the send button, knowing she'd been a bit more open with Brig than was professional, but fatigue and the slow warming made her a little loose-lipped. Shrugging, she wrapped her arms around her waist and turned her face back to the sun. He wouldn't mind, nor would he tattle on her.
Brig smiled at her response and set his phone down on the his desk. His finger tapped on the screen for a moment before reaching out and picking up his phone as he pushed away from his desk. Tucking it into his pocket, he exited his office and passed through the Sit. Room and slapped his hand down on Lewis' shoulder.

"I'm out and about."

"Aye, Captain," Brig heard Lewis reply in a thick Scottish brogue.

Heading up to the ground level, Brig made his way around the living areas and then through the dining hall. Passing through, he walked out to the back of the Den toward the deck and found Kai sitting in the sun. The weather had been shifting between rainy, cold as hell, to sunny and he was not surprised to find her languishing in the rare sun rays. The sun made the highlights in her hair glistened like dewy golden strands. He put his hand on the door but then stopped.

Without thinking he had honed in on Kai like his usual old self, but suddenly it occurred to him that he wasn't the same man who had been with Kai on the island those months ago. That man had been unattached, unaware, and unlikely to ever not chase a skirt. Would Viv even mind him talking to Kai? He leaned toward her not openly caring, but women were pretty predictable. He'd say hello to Kai, catch up, and then tell Viv
immediately.

Snorting softly, he pushed out the doors and stepped slowly to the deck. Looking down at Kai he smiled and shoved his hands into his uniform pockets.

"Why hello there."
Kai 13 years ago
She heard the door open, and didn't bother to acknowledge it, but that voice had her lips curling up into a smile. Turning her head, Kai squinted open an eye at him and her smile deepened.

"What no red?"

Laughing softly, she uncurled from her chair and stretched, arms up over her head, back arching, like a cat disturbed from its nap. Tugging her faded green, "Surfer girls ride it hard" sweatshirt back into place, she crossed to Brig and stopped. Did she hug him? She wanted to, but was that okay? This whole friends after, whatever their relationship had been, thing was way new to her. Crinkling her arctic sun scorched nose, she closed the distance between them.

"I'm gunna hug you." And she did, rising on her toes and wrapping her arms around him in that diagonal friend hug way. She squeezed him, resting her cheek on his shoulder, breathed in deeply, and pulled away. Smiling, she stepped back and gestured to her little sunlit spot.

"Care to join me?"
Kai had a way with her body, he had to give her that. A werewolf that moved as lithe as a black cat, he appreciated the view as she pulled herself out of the chair. Brig hugged her back feeling the warmth of her body and immediately felt guilty about it.

"Hugging is just fine and sure, I can hang out for a few minutes." He pulled up a chair and sat down across from her, resting his elbows on his knees. "I should have figured you'd be out here enjoying the sun. The Artic must have been a hoot for you," he laughed.
Kai 13 years ago
"Yeah, my favorite part was the giant coats and pants that made me look a hundred pounds heavier." She rolled her eyes and leaned back in the chair, pulling her knees up to her chest. At some point she had shucked her shoes and socks and her unpolished toes wiggled a little bit as she spoke.

"Mostly I spent so much time either staring through a microscope or diving to take samples from whales that being in the coat was a nice change of pace."

She laughed as she rested her head on the wing of the chair. "I will say I do not envy our Alaskan brothers, because going through the change on the tundra and then running half snow-blind sucks donkey toes."

She crinkled her nose, feeling the sad abused skin crack again. "Enough about my boring trip, what have you been up to? Meet anyone special?" Her tone was teasing, as she waggled her eyebrows at him.
"You don't like the cold? I love it. Nothing like ice packed in between your toes and your lungs on fire they're so cold."

He recalled Siberia a couple months back. The Hammerthynns had been from deep within the northern mountains of Siberia granted generations ago, and the Jamesons were no strangers to the freezing cold either. He loved it, despite the reasons why he was so far north.

Brig could not help his blush at her forwardness about there being anyone after Kai. He was at least glad that they were able to talk like nothing had happened, but their relationship had been fleeting as well as fun. With a grin, he rubbed his fingers through his hair and nodded.

"Actually, I am seeing someone. Well, not just seeing her." He swallowed and leaned onto one elbow. "I met her right when you left and it was...uh, amazing. We got engaged on New Years and we're expecting a baby by the end of July. It was...uh...quick," he said with a laugh. It was odd trying to explain the time line of their relationship. It sounded way worse than it definitely was; meeting, getting engaged, and getting pregnant all within six months of their first fight at the Park Reserve.

Brig squinted against the sunlight and tried to read Kai's reaction.
Kai 13 years ago
She shook her head, her nose wrinkling in disgust this time. "Nope, sucks big ugly donkey toes."

Holy shotgun wedding Batman! Brig wasn't one to waste time, but she wasn't surprised. In her experience, when a wolf found his mate nothing could stand in the way of that. It was one of the most romantic things of being a were in her opinion.

"Wow, Brig...oh my goodness!" She jumped up and hugged him again. Putting her hands on her cheeks she kissed his forehead, then each of his eyes and the tip of his nose. Pressing her forehead to his she spoke softly. "May you always know she loves you. May you always see a bright future. May you always find your way home."

She repeated the kisses in reverse order and then let go of his face with a smile. It was the blessing her mother had bestowed on the man during a mating ceremony. She wasn't an elder and wouldn't be officiating their wedding, but she wanted to bless her friend. "I'm really happy for you. Babies and mates are such a blessing and joy for the entire pack."

Smiling brightly, she returned to her chair, taping him on the knee as she sat back. "So tell me about her. Have I met her?"
Kai's reaction was a surprise, to say the least. When she grabbed his face and began kissing him, he felt his cheeks catch on fire. For a screaming moment he thought she was going to kiss him on the lips, but she wished him happiness and he was relieved.

"Oh, ok," he muttered with a laugh and then she repeated the kisses again. "Thanks, Kai." Her happy response warmed his heart. He was fairly sure Viv wouldn't mind and would in fact like Kai. Maybe he could set Kai up with one of the Pipers? Women liked that sort of thing, right?

Then Kai wanted to know more about Viv. He scratched his chin wondering what the hell he could say about Viv without it all sounding kind of bad.

"I don't think you've met her, yet. Her name is Vivienne Sena. She's involved with the families, mostly on the Beta's side. Viv's assigned to the Pipers and does evaluations on the current members, our new incoming guys - just makes sure we're all ok. Stuff like...that." He smiled at her, purposely omitting the fact that his fiancee was a Vyusher R'asa. Didn't really seem necessary to bring that part up.
Kai 13 years ago
She chuckled softly. Men, they always think women want to know what people do. What you do isn't who you are, well unless you're Kai and then it does.

"I'm glad you will get to spend time with her at work too, but I meant what is she like. What about her makes your heart sing, and your brain turn to mush."

She held up her hand to forestall him a moment. "I do not mean behind closed doors, you can keep that to yourself, thank you very much."

A grin curled her lips. Maybe she could help him with his girl talk, this Vivienne might appreciate it.
"Oh," he said thoughtfully, but then blushed at Kai's specifications of what she was not wanting to know. Rubbing his hands together, he shrugged as looked down at the ground, trying to put into words how Viv made him feel. Although thinking about her now made him feel awkward explaining it to someone who was, for all intense and purposes, his ex. He and Kai had a brief affair, albeit only being together once, but Brig knew if it hadn't been for Viv, Kai would have definitely still been in the picture, if only sexually. How did you describe one woman without comparing her to another?

"Viv is," Brig started slowly, "well she's mean." Laughing, he scratched his lip and shrugged. "Well not mean, but she's someone who takes zero bullshit, even from me. We didn't start off friendly by any means, but I suppose there is a thin line between love and hate."

Brig stared down at the ground and felt a smile creep across his face. "She is sarcastic but genuine. Charming yet ruthless, almost. She has long, dark brown hair that smells like coconuts and orchids, and I just can't keep my hands off her." He inhaled deeply, still able to smell her scent on him and it immediately aroused him again. Shrugging, he looked up at Kai and was honest.

"I've never met anyone like her."
Kai 13 years ago
Kai laughed, a good deep belly laugh, that did more to warm her than the sunshine. "She sounds exactly perfect for you."

Granted they weren't friends of years and years, and their affair had been brief, albeit incredibly fun, but she felt she had learned enough of him to see how his mate would need to be all of the things he just said, and she was genuinely happy for him. Everyone deserved a mate and children, should they wish one.

"I'm really glad you've found someone to tame you." Laughter bubbled in her again, and she settled back into her chair.

"Other than whirlwind mate finding and baby making, what else have you been up to? Surely status reports and running your Pipers into the ground because they stayed out too late hasn't been your day to day for six months."
Piper business was secretive one, but it wasn't as if a lot of what they were doing wasn't showing up on the news or taking them out of the country.

There was the frantic race across the northern hemisphere to catch up to Vivienne and Huntington in Siberia in pursuit of something he could barely even think about without the dull ache starting at the base of his neck, threatening to turn into a migraine.

Also Hammer and the Alpha's paternal relationship, Hammer's subsequent engagement to the Alpha's mother, and the birth of Hammer's first grandson. Leadership had to rearrange and prepare itself for the incoming of the family Elders, especially after the destruction of its Ireland Piper base.

Then the Sewer incident that thankfully Viv pulled many strings to cover up as a gas main explosion. Brig wasn't even sure how she managed to cover up the bodies of the Nakubili and Ringo's other mercenaries from the media. That resulted in a Piper being 'put on leave' but really under heavy sedation at Duibne Industries, forcing the Families to temporarily hold back on tearing out Huntington's throat since he was doing Viv, not the Pipers, a favor in saving Charlie. All in all, it had been a wickedly horrid and oddly wonderful six months.

Brig shrugged and clasped his hands together. "Uh, the Alpha welcomed his first son and the Beta's first grandchild. I'm sure you've heard about the Alpha being Beta Hammerthynn's son? That happened probably right as you left. The Pipers and I, just standard stuff. Our family Elders are here, you might run into my father who looks suspiciously like an older version of myself. Beware of him," he smiled. "But, yeah...that's about it, really."

Brig smiled innocently.
Kai 13 years ago
Kai gave him another grin. "That sound suspiciously uneventful. Not that I expect you to tell me the intimate workings of the pack, that's none of my beeswax."

She winked at him and turned her body to tuck it into the corner of the chair, wrapping her arms around her middle. She had her own interesting adventures in the arctic ocean, and she wasn't about to share how incredibly yummy sea lions are. She wouldn't share that with anyone, they were on the threatened species list after all. She didn't like keeping secrets, as they were lies of silence, but she had learned they were necessary, a long long time ago.

"I'll be sure to find Nikhila and offer her my congratulations and to see the wee one. What's his name?"

As for the rest, she didn't see how the Alpha being the Beta's son affected her, she wasn't in the chain of command and she had every reason to believe they would keep the pack from being harmed.
"Noah Iov Stafford-Hammerthynn, Iov after his Peepaw, which I will now refer to him as for the rest of my cousin's life."

Brig grinned, happy now that he could after the gut wrenching three months of hating Hammer. He was definitely happy for his eternally suffering cousin and best friend, finally finding something that had alluded him for so long.

"Yeah the Beta is thrilled, in his own quiet way. Noah is his 'Little Hammer', which is one helluva thing to live up to, but first born has its privileges." Brig winked and smiled. "He's a beautiful little boy. Viv and I are having a girl, by the way. Not sure whether I should just install locks on her bedroom door now."

Brig never thought he'd have a girl, at least not first. First born of the Elder's first born carries weight within the family, even as a female, but it usually meant instant Piper status within the ranks. Brig definitely did not want his first born daughter getting caught up in the danger of being a Piper, but if she was anything like her mother, she might insist on it.

"God I'm not looking forward to puberty," he said rubbing his hands over his face.
Kai 13 years ago
Kai snickered and muttered Peepaw under her breath. She hadn't met the Beta formally, but she'd seen him and could not imagine the formidable man letting anyone, much less a baby call him Peepaw.

"It only means he'll be extremely loved and raised to be the best he can be. Like all children should be."

She grinned and then gawked, blinking a few times. "Ah, don't you think you're skipping ahead a bit?"

Then her face lit with mischief. "You should make sure you're home is only one story, you don't want her breaking something jumping from her window late at night to go meet her boyfriend with the studded collars and black kohl liner..."
"Noah will have a lot of shadows growing up in the world. The Alpha and his family are the Pipers number one priority. Hammer is looking forward to showing his grandson how to shoot an assault rifle, no doubt."

Brig laughed but knew he was probably right. He remembered how Hammer was with Xeph growing up, teaching the boy to be a man like a good father should, not knowing he really was the boy's father.

"I am skipping ahead though. If she's anything like her parents, she'll have it in her blood to be feisty and adventurous. Hopefully she won't insist on following in my foot steps. I couldn't handle the stress of it although I'm sure her mother would be delighted. Viv is unique that way. She about kicked my ass and broke my nose sparring with the Pipers. Suppose that's why I love her," he chuckled.

"And now that I've monopolized the conversation, let's talk about what you've been doing. Meet anyone up in the deep cold?"
Kai 13 years ago
Kai snickered again. She had a feeling the sweet little girl would give him a run for his money every day of his life.

She rolled her eyes and deadpanned.
"Oh yes, I met all kinds of hunky wolves on a research vessel in the freaking arctic circle."

Laughter followed her words. "No, I try really hard to not mix feelings with business. Though I will admit that baser urges are still felt and we all end up sleeping with one another at some point during a trip. It happens when you live on top of each other and the only privacy afforded is the shower. Lucky for me I was not the only girl this time. It didn't hurt that I was the lead on this trip, so it afforded me my own quarters, but a bunk and a door do not alone time make."

She grinned again. "The only trick to it is to be open about it so resentment and hurt doesn't come into play."

Kai shrugged. "I don't wish I could say that yes I met the love of my life, because all those clowns are from New York and Canada, only myself and one other researcher were from NU, I am not about to uproot myself again. I like it here, beside Canadians talk funny."

Research vessels were funny things. They were full of sailors and researchers, both groups lacked social skills and neither knew what to do with the other. So, it lands to the captain and the lead researcher to liaise and keep the two groups from coming to blows. At least that had been her experience, and it seemed to hold true when she asked others. So, the research crew kept to itself and too the ship's crew, except at meal times, thus creating two communities on board.

She didn't know how to explain that to Brig, so she didn't. It was something that needed to be lived to be understood and she had a feeling he'd rather run naked down The Strip then dance a jig on the fountain in the Gardens before spending six months on a boat.