Anantya Invasion!

Jin pulled the mini cooper into the underground parking lot, easily finding a visitor parking space with plenty of room for his little vehicle. He looked over at Mara and smiled, brushing a hand lightly down her arm.

"I'm glad you're coming with me. Sorcha probably wouldn't appreciate me dashing in for a few minutes and then rushing back out to see you."

He grinned and then thought to add. "She has a rather large dog, by the way, Gwyn. I thought perhaps it would be best to mention it. He's well behaved but larger than some ponies."

He shrugged and sighed. "He keeps her company since she insists on being Evenhet and living over here instead." At some point he should probably explain that to Mara. It was really Sorcha's tale to tell but there would come a time when he'd want Mara to know. Perhaps he would ask his daughter if he could mention it, in the interest of personal full disclosure, should it arise in conversation.

"Are you ready to go in?"

Mara 13 years ago
Mara smiled at Jin, leaning over at his touch and kissing him softly upon his lips. "I like Sorcha," she said simply. "I'm happy to come."

Jin told her about Sorcha's dog and Mara nodded. "Large dog. Thank you for the warning."

She tilted her head at he reasoning and said, somewhat tentatively,
"Surely her Clanmates keep her company as well?" Mara didn't like to think of Sorcha being lonely and without company. Perhaps she could encourage Pakpao to include Sorcha on one of her night-time jaunts up to Pak's place.

When asked if she was ready Mara hesitated. She didn't think the odds of running into her father here were high at all. After all, he didn't live at Liefde. He did have friends here though.

"I am," she said. She lifted her hand, gently brushed her fingertips over Jin's cheek, and shifted shapes, climbing into his lap. She did not have the time right now to explain her reasons. She and Jin kept meaning to tell each other about their past lives, which were coming out here and there in little bits, but somehow they had yet to really divulge all truths.

Hoping Jin wouldn't require an explanation just yet and maybe assume that she was simply a little shy of entering Evenhet territory (which was entirely true even if her reasons were a little different), Mara placed her paws on his shoulders and gently bumped her nose against his.
Jin 13 years ago
"Its going to be like that, is it?" Jin smiled at the cat in his lap. "I guess its a good thing Gwyn is well behaved."

He carefully picked Mara up and toted her inside the building with him. Of course he wanted to know why she felt the need to shift forms but now wasn't the time to ask. She had met Sorcha before and had just said that she liked his daughter. Perhaps it was the building that was daunting. It was far to airy an open for his tastes but luckily they went could go to Sorcha's floor directly from the parking deck.

Heading to the elevator with a purposeful walk, he halted there and pushed the button for up.

They stepped inside and an image appeared on the screen.

"Welcome to the Liefde Tower. I am MARI. May I inquire about your final destination?"

Jin raised his eyebrows and smiled at the computerized woman.

"Hello, MARI. I am Jin Han. We are here to see Sorcha."

He would have introduced Mara but she seemed to want to be anonymous for the moment. MARI appeared to pause briefly as if expecting him to explain why he was carrying a cat. Jin made no further comment and the elevator started.

MARI regarded his companion and said thoughtfully. "I would advise you that Sorcha shares her habitat with a large canine. You might find that the feline is...ill advised." She blinked and then added. "Unless it is a meal for the canine. Is that the case?"

Jin held Mara a little tighter and shook his head
. "No, the cat is not a meal for Gwyn. I am sure that he will behave himself."

MARI nodded with the tiniest of shrugs. "Very well."

The elevator arrived at the correct floor. He found his daughter's door and rung the bell. Nuzzling Mara's fur while he waited, Jin could hear Gwyn padding up on the other side of the entrance. Sorcha arrived and opened the door shortly thereafter.
Sorcha 13 years ago
Sorcha raised her eyebrows at her Creator when she saw that he was carrying a cat. She looked down at Gwyn and said silently. "Tempting as it might be, don't play with it." The large dog huffed at her but agreed. He moved away, going back to a spot on the cool tile floor of the kitchen.

[Come in. Who's your friend? I don't imagine this is a new companion. Gwyn is handful as it is.]

She shut the door behind Jin and then ushered him to a seat.

[Would you like something to drink? A saucer of milk for....Mara?]

Sorcha smirked at him and then went to the refrigerator. She wondered whether she could send to a vampire in animal form when that form wasn't a canine. Amir had been very clear and easy to talk to but that was different.

Experimentally she reached out and sent to the furry bundle in Jin's lap.

[Care for a glass of wine? Water?] Okay, she couldn't resist. [Milk?]

Pulling out an ale for herself, she poured a glass of grapefruit juice for Jin and then waited to hear Mara's reply, assuming she managed to make it through the feline web of neurons.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara was not immediately relinquished upon entering Sorcha's apartment and she didn't complain. She huddled comfortably in Jin's arms, purring loudly now that she was in a form in which she could express just how pleasant she found it there. She perked her ears forward at Gwyn who was, indeed, the size of a pony. She wasn't intimidated by him but she wondered if he would enjoy cat and dog games.

She knew that Sorcha must be talking to Jin but she couldn't hear that side of the conversation. She settled happily in his lap when he sat, very very conscious of her placement and trying her best not to stimulate things that were best left alone until they were not in Sorcha's apartment. Only... it was tempting.

Mara did not shift back immediately although it would have been the polite thing to do for all involved. She waited a few minutes, not only enjoying her seat but mildly interested to see if Sorcha would realize it was she. She imagined she would; surely Jin wasn't in the habit of carrying just anyone around with him.

It wasn't long before Sorcha's voice entered her head, familiar from their dinner together not long ago. She twitched her tail in pleasure.

[I would love some water,] she responded, blinking her pale eyes at Sorcha.

Since the game was up she shifted forms, sliding off Jin's lap in the process and regretfully moving to sit next to him. She would have preferred to stay close but they were currently guests in someone else's home and some class was called for. Only, she and Jin had been nigh inseparable for days on end now and she wasn't ready to let go of him yet. Literally or physically.

She did like Sorcha, but she hoped the visit would not be long.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin smiled at Mara when she changed back and sat down next to him. He reached over and took her hand, placing it on his leg. He reached his other out to Gwyn.

"I haven't forgotten about you."

The white wolfhound had been watching everyone from the kitchen but his eyes mostly stayed on Jin, and the cat, but mostly Jin. Seeing that he was finally being summoned, Gwyn rose up excitedly, looked back at Sorcha and then walked over to Jin at an easy pace. The dog sat down next to Jin and waited. Jin pulled a little bag from his pocket that was zip locked closed. Opening it, he held out several of the small meat treats to Gwyn. Sorcha's dog was careful and gentle about taking them from his hand. Once he was done eating, Gwyn scooted closer to Jin and rested his head on Jin's lap.

Putting a hand on the hound's head, he looked over at Mara.
"I've been around Gwyn since he was a puppy. Few dogs are so friendly to me." He imagined there was a slight lingering scent of large predator about him, either that or they somehow simply knew. For whatever reason, most smaller animals didn't care for him much.
Sorcha 13 years ago
Sorcha knew the treats were coming and so did Gwyn. She cautioned him to behave when he jumped upon being summoned over for a snack.

[Here you go.] She sent to both of them while setting there drinks down on the table. Sorcha sat down in the chair opposite the couch where they both sat. Looking from one to the other. She noticed the hand in Jin's lap. Sending to Mara, she said.

[Well it looks like things went all right on Valentines Day.]

Her sister rolled her eyes and pointed out the obvious. "He loves her, you idiot. I think things went better than all right."

Sorcha ignored her sisters "valuable" imput, though she added to Mara.

[He seems very happy.]

Turning her attention to Jin and Gwyn, she sighed. "Traitor Dog." Gwyn rolled his eyes over to her at her words but did not remove his head from Jin's knee. "A few treats...that's all it takes, eh?"

[There was something you wanted to discuss?]
Mara 13 years ago
Mara smiled and slid a little closer to Jin when he placed her hand on his leg. Her fingertips stroked briefly and then stilled. Time for little caresses later. She offered him a small smile. "I know the feeling," she murmured as he offered treats to Gwyn.

She had never had much luck with dogs either; she could imagine Jin's troubles must eclipse her own. Mara smelled of stray cat and predator; Jin was exponentially more dangerous and exotic.

"Thank you," she said to Sorcha when she gave her a glass of cool water. She sipped it and then smiled at Sorcha's observation in her head.

[It went quite well.] The next words made her blush and she looked down, glancing up at Jin through lowered lashes. [So he has told me,] she answered. [I'm glad I can make him feel that way. Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.]

Gwyn had settled down, sharing Jins leg with Mara's hand. She smiled at him not showing her fangs, just trying to be friendly. Sorcha's best friend was worth at least that much effort.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin smiled back at Mara somewhat surprised to hear her form might inspire the same sort of problem. Perhaps then it was the animal and vampire mix that was the problem. He tried to recall whether Mai had such difficulties. It was hard to accurately tell; Mai just as often chased anything else on four legs as she did befriend them.

"Thank you." He told Sorcha. Gwyn looked over at Sorcha but didn't move. Jin could only guess what she might be saying to the dog but whatever it was didn't appear to be working as intended. He smiled down at Gwyn and scratched him behind the ears affectionately.

Sorcha inquired about the reason for their visit. Jin explained.
"Evgeni. Did you locate him?"
Sorcha 13 years ago
Sorcha smiled at Mara. [Well I'm glad he told you. Sometimes he can be remarkably private about his feelings even with the people concerned.] She rarely needed him to tell her, being an empath, if an unusual one, had that perk. However, Sorcha had known Jin for long enough to see the evidence of his occasional taciturn behavior. The two of them both looked happy and she was glad that they found each other. [Anytime, I'm glad everything went well. What dessert did you decide on?]

Looking at Jin, she frowned. [No, we weren't able to find him. When we got to the warehouse where he was he was not there. He must have been recently moved. There was evidence of other people held there and torture devices...] Sorcha broke off the sending and sighed. [I still speak to him. He is being held by someone else though Evgeni says he has not been harmed.]
Mara 13 years ago
Attending to what conversation she could hear, Mara continued to chat with Sorcha quietly. She still hadn't told Jin that she'd gone to his daughter for a little bit of information-gathering before Valentine's Day, not because she was hiding anything but because it hadn't come up in conversation. She smiled softly as she tried to reconcile the Jin she knew with the Jin Sorcha described. She could see it, but he had never been that way with her.

[Perhaps because we met under unusual circumstances he never had the chance to be too private. Whatever the reason, I don't think he has ever held anything back from me.] She associated Jin with openness, not secrets, although as a Nightsman he dealt in secrets regularly. [I couldn't decide. I made chocolate mousse with raspberry foam and creme brulee with brandied oranges.]

Her cheeks flushed as she remembered orange-flavored kisses that led to a day of feverish lovemaking and completely new sensations.She slid closer to Jin again, nestling up against him on the sofa, trying not to be too obtrusive about it.
Jin 13 years ago
Mara slid closer and he smiled, wrapping an arm around her waist. He looked from her to Sorcha, receiving a look of benign innocence from his daughter, and got the impression that he was somehow the topic of discussion. Inwardly amused, he took no more notice.

The fact that Evgeni had not been rescued was disturbing. Sorcha's information did sound like Sofia's place. How many other Greek women had torture chambers in their basement and Russian captives? Jin wondered about that latter part, did Sofia hold some grudge against Russians? The human prisoners had been Russian as well. Odd, but not as important now.

"So this new person, does he have a name or a general location?" They lost the only item they could use to find Evgeni. That was proving to be very unfortunate for a number of reasons. "Does he know why he was being held? Is there anyone with him?" There was no point in asking if he knew where he was because Sorcha would have tried to rescue him if he did.
Sorcha 13 years ago
Sorcha was intrigued by the unusual circumstances that Mara referred to. Did they meet before the Halloween dance? Meeting at a party didn't seem so odd, walking your 'date' around on a leash, that had been new for her. Amir was a pleasant companion despite the situation. [I am glad that it seems to be working out well. I don't imagine I need to say that he's a good man but he definitely has my seal of approval.] She never seriously looked at Jin as a potential partner perhaps because of the way their relationship had worked out from the beginning. She was a mess, hearing voices, seeing ghosts, and feeling terribly terribly guilty. Jin had been a patient father in that early time. Later, when she still refused to hunt, he did his best to protect her. She then went to the convent and if that didn't kill a person's sex drive then nothing would. When she left for a while, she briefly considered it. They had more age in common than different by then but it just didn't seem likely. He still worried for her safety and she was still stubborn and occasionally rebellious. She suspected that there would always been a more father daughter bond between them and Sorcha was fine with that. Even after several thousand years it was good to know that someone was looking after you.

Sorcha smiled at Mara.
[No, doubt he loved them both. Candy and Fruit are his culinary weaknesses. I was always grateful that it was jelly beans that made him happy and not a strong bottle of scotch...because that gets expensive.] She picked up her bottle of ale and took a sip, noticing Jin's momentary scrutiny.

Marcus laughed from behind her chair. "He's caught on to you now, Love."

Feigning innocence, she took another swallow before setting her drink down on the table.

Questions about Evgeni made her grow more serious.
[Amrit is the name the man goes by. Indian. He says he's definitely a vampire, the fangs are hard to miss.] She shrugged. [He's kept underground. It looks like a warehouse to him but he said the walls are thick so there is nothing to give him outside sounds to get a general idea of location from.] Sorcha frowned but continued. [ He has a cell mate now named Jan. Jan believes they are being held because of command but that doesn't make sense because neither Evgeni nor Jan have that ability. I don't think that's it.] She wasn't sure why the man was still holding Evgeni but she was grateful that at least he was no longer being tortured.

((OOC: Sorcha will send her answers again to Mara in order to keep her in the loop.))
Mara 13 years ago
Mara stayed close to Jin, smiling happily when his arm went around her waist. [I'm glad for that,] she responded to Sorcha. [And it is working well... I hope it will continue to.] She didn't know what else to say. She thought the love on her face and in her voice should be readily apparent. She nodded at Sorcha's appraisal of the desserts. [They did seem to vanish quickly.]

Mara listened to Sorcha's description, brief as it was, of the area in which Evgeni was held. She tried to think of any way they might be able to narrow a search down to locate the right building. Sorcha supplied them with a name as well, of Evgeni and Jan's captor. It wasn't one she was familiar with but perhaps Jin was. Either way at least it was something to go on.

"Does he know what the walls and floors are made of?" she asked thoughtfully. It might make a difference; not all buildings in Nachton had the same foundations. Buildings in different areas had been constructed differently as well.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin pulled out his phone and typed in the name that Sorcha gave for the man. It was no doubt an alias but perhaps they had it on file. It certainly couldn't hurt to look it up. He added the other information about the warehouse with a question mark and the cell mate. Who was obviously a vampire if there was any reason at all to suspect the man had command.

Jin shook his head.
"Jan is most likely right. We have had people disappearing who have command so if he thinks that's what they are being held for then he is probably right. What clan are they?" If they were a clan at all. Surely there would be more people looking for them if either of the two were Evenhet.

Mara asked about the walls to the place and Jin smiled at her.
"Have they seen other people? Maybe they can tell us how many people he might have working with him. We suspect at least one person within our clan, perhaps more." Jin did not like discussing Anantya business outside of the clan, even with his daughter but he needed information and right now Sorcha and her link to Evgeni were the best lead they had to this person.
Sorcha 13 years ago
Sorcha smiled at Mara, not at all surprised that the desserts went missing quickly.

Answering Mara's question, she sent. [I asked him that as well since I spend many nights talking to him to help him sleep. He said they are cement. There is a stain on the ceiling that looks like a rabbit eating a gnome...according to his active imagination. There is not much else in the room but it does have a bed, and a small table and such.]

Turning to Jin she said.
[They are both Tacharan. ] She frowned to hear that people were going missing in Anantya. [Is that what happened to Sofia then? This guy, Amrit, did he kill her because of command and then take Evgeni because he was there?] Poor guy, talk about always being at the wrong place at the wrong time. This guy might be holding him to be sure Evgeni can't identify him before he's done his terrible acts. Of course someone killing Anantya, surely he'd have no problem killing another vampire. Perhaps the man was also Tacharan? Or maybe there was a certain code he was living by. Maybe his problem was only with Anantya, and he didn't target anyone else. Sorcha was not the best person to sort out the details of how a psychopath thought.

Returning to Jin's other questions, she answered.
[I can ask him for more specifics but he mentioned a small girl, a couple of rough looking men that appeared related, an Asian woman in her late teens, early twenties and an older Caucasian woman with very long hair. He said he's not sure if all of them are exactly as they appear. It seems he's been using one of his abilities. Dream walking? And while its very powerful, it doesn't always produce the most accurate results in identification.]

She shrugged and looked at them both a little helplessly.
Mara 13 years ago
Listening to Jin made Mara shiver. Yes, they suspected someone in Anantya... what if Amir's own Creator were involved somehow? Was it her own active imagination that made up that association? It might have been. But if she knew anyone who could be involved in this sort of plot then Subira fit the bill.

She raised her eyebrows in amusement at Sorcha's description of the stain on the ceiling but otherwise she had few ideas that might help. It really did seem like they were stuck at this point although Sorcha did seem to have quite a lot of information thanks to her talks with Evgeni.

"And those people... they all had Command?" She asked, slightly distracted from the topic of rescuing Evgeni. "This Amrit, he's looking for vampires with it?"

Mara huddled under Jin's arm some more. This was one more enemy to add to Amir's very long list. He was right; sooner or later one or the other of them would find him.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin considered the news of their 'clan' and wondered if they could find assistance with that band of vampires. Surely they would be concerned with a couple of their own that were being held by a murderer. However, he also thought that involving them might be more trouble than it was worth. The Tacharan weren't exactly known for being subtle and he had more lives riding on catching this guy than just their two clan mates.

"I don't know why he took Evgeni unless it was to make sure that he did not also have command. I am not sure why he continues to keep him alive but we can take hope from it. Yes, Sofia had command and we assume that is why she died."

Jin wrote down the descriptions of the people that worked with this Amrit and also noted that Evgeni had dreamwalking. He considered that. "As I recall that means he can control their dreams to some extent perhaps he can convince them to dream of the place he is being held. Maybe he can get them to walk around outside his room and then outside the building. It might give us the location information we need." Hopefully they would remember the normal everyday details of the building well enough for the images to be useful.

He nodded to Mara, squeezing her a little closer as he answered.
"It does seem that way."
Sorcha 13 years ago
Sorcha nodded to Jin. He was right, at least Evgeni was safe for the moment though it seemed her Creator also wondered about the reason for it. Evgeni's Creator was dead so she knew that he wasn't being asked about him like Jan had been. Jan's own Creator also didn't have command though Evgeni had explained that there had been some misunderstanding that had caused Amrit to believe that Jan possessed the skill. Poor word choice or something.

She thought that Jin's idea for dreamwalking had some merit though she wondered whether or not Evgeni had already tried it. She would still suggest it.
[He said they do not always sleep there. It might take a while.]

Taking a few more strong swallows of her drink, she sighed. Gwyn seemed to sense her mood because he left Jin's lap to come lean against her legs. Sorcha reached down to pet him and thank him for his silent support.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara felt rather unsettled. Not only was she certain Amir must be on this list, but if Jin became tangled up in all of this as well... the thought made her face drain of color. She took a few swallows of water to steady herself and considered Sorcha's words.

She had nothing useful to add to the conversation, for which she felt bad. Surely she should have been able to suggest something, anything, that might have been helpful? Instead she murmured a soft agreement with Jin. It was a good idea, to use dreamwalking in that manner. Even if it took a while, it didn't seem as if Evgeni was in any immediate danger.

"I wonder how this Amrit locates his victims," she wondered out loud. Vampiric abilities weren't exactly listed in file folders readily accessible to anyone looking for them. And it seemed like a waste of time to simply wander around hoping to find those with Command. Sure he had other resources, and if he did, might they locate any of those?

It seemed plausible but not possible with what they had.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin didn't really know for certain the answer to Mara's question. He wondered that himself.

"He is either Anantya or has someone amongst us, or both." Jin sighed and said. "Normally we don't mark down who is who according to abilities amongst our kind but those who participated in the Treaty can be found on record. Those are the ones being targeted mainly, the others seem to be by chance or found perhaps."

He looked up at Sorcha but spoke generally. "There are several targets here in Nachton on that list. Including both the former Elder of the Night and the current Elder of the Rose."

His progeny should know that her mother was in danger. If she feared not having a chance to reconcile with her then now might be a good time to do so before it was too late. Jin hated to think that way, hated to believe anything could happen to Morrigan but it would be wrong of him to deny Sorcha that knowledge and have her final chance taken away from her.