Drop off

Diane sat in her car parked along the curb at the end of a block. Her window was rolled down so she could see the address better without the dark tint making it harder. Checking the half torn piece of notebook paper again she glanced back up at the house.

Maybe Bastian's address book was out dated. She had dug through his belongings in his office until she found the leather bound address book but it had contained no dates. It wasn't like they sent out christmas cards each year to their families so the likelihood of her knowing what was current and what was not was slim.

Squinting Diane tried to pick up any detail that this house belonged to Reign but she was not rewarded. The house itself was pretty normal and nondescript aside from the hedge fence that bordered the property. It suddenly occured to her to stop thinking like a human and get out of the damn car and use her nose. Rolling up the window Diane reached over to the passanger seat and grabbed the black box before getting out of the car.

She probably looked like a creep for the last five minutes sitting out here gawking at the house. If Reign was home Diane crossed her fingers she hadn't been watching from the window. As she neared the stoop, it didn't take a very deep breathe to tell her who lived here. The scent of that black dog coated the place almost more than Reign's. That being said, Diane doubted Reign spent much time marking her territory like dogs did.

Reaching out Diane knocked on the door and waited.

Reign 13 years ago
The mutt really as a good dog. Despite two break-ins, well a break in and a half, he didn't freak out at every car or knock on the door. Although, he make sure to keep her posted. He'd stood at the window watching something but he wasn't barking so Reign kept practicing. He shifted his attention to the door and just after the knock gave a series of loud menacing barks.

Well, that was odd. Reign didn't get many visitors. Mostly the Boy and he had a key and didn't knock. Frowning she put up her cue and checked the peephole. Well that was the last person she would have expected.

With Sirius in 'sit and stay' mode she opened the door.

"Hi Diane... I didn't expect to see you any time soon. What's up?"

The last time they'd spoken Diane had seemed slightly, or a lot, off balance but Reign had meant it when she'd said if there was anything she could do Diane could ask.
Diane 13 years ago
The door opened and Diane's mind promptly went blank. She shifted back and forth between her feet for a second.

"Hi Reign, I hope I'm not interupting you or anything."

This politeness towards Reign felt foreign and it caused her to rethink why she had come here in the first place. This started to feel like a terrible idea in fact. Who knew what Reign would think.

Forcing her arm out Diane held the black enamel box between them.

"This is for you. It's a thank you of sorts." she fumbled out feeling extremely awkward.
Reign 13 years ago
"Nope, nothing that won't keep."

Reign tried to reassure her, well guest didn't seem like the right word, visitor. That was better.

She looked down at the little box and had no idea what to make of it. OK so she and Diane didn't have the best relationship. And honestly, Reign blamed that on Bastian. He'd hooked up with her -way- too fast after they broke up. Reign still suspected him of cheating on her or at least thinking about it and the question became if Diane knew Bastian was with someone else... it was complicated. But, Reign had decided she was better off single again.

Cautiously taking the box she raised an eyebrow.

"Thank you? For... what? Listen never mind why don't you come in, I'll get you something to drink."

It was habit. Reign really didn't know how not to offer at least some hospitality. For god's sake she'd offered the cops something when they came to handle the four dead guys on the lawn. Even made them coffee. It was just, habit.
Diane 13 years ago
Stepping foot into Reign's home felt weird. Who knew how often Bastian himself had been here and she did her best not to try and find his scent however old it may be. That was too weird, too...insecure. Bastian and Reign had been together a long time and it wasn't news to Diane that they would have shared both negative and positive memories inside this place. Laughing, loving, fighting, and everything else within these walls. The cobb webs of the past reached out to grab her, but Diane shook them off and focused on the here and now.

"Well, you may or may not have noticed but when I ran into you at the park I was a little foggy. For some reason talking with you kinda sorta snapped me out of it."

That sounded lame as hell.Sticking her hands in her pockets she looked up at the ceiling.

"So anyways, I thought I would bring you that. Open it up so I can explain it better."

She can only imagine it now, Reign opening the package after she left and wondering why the hell Diane had given her jewelry. That would send her into weirdo status real quick. At least now she could explain the whole protection aspect.
Reign 13 years ago
Sirius very much wanted to inspect this new visitor to his home and Reign gave him leave once Diane had crossed the threshold. He wouldn't jump up on her or shove her around or anything, just give her a through sniff.

"You did seem a little..."

Reign shrugged and let it go. Everyone had their off days, Diane's looked like it had been an off month or two but she wasn't going to judge.

"Are you sure you don't want something to drink?"

She asked again before opening the box. She didn't think that it would be a poisonous snake or an explosive or anything like that. Reign might have questions about certain aspects of Diane's personality but that didn't seem to be like her.

The 'gift' was rather perplexing. Reign looked up, clearly puzzled. The tiny little gold gun looked like jewelry or a toy. She thought maybe their conversation warranted a card not small caliber fire arms.

"Ummmm... yeah. It is pretty."

That was true enough. Of course Reign also hadn't picked it up. For some reason she didn't really want to pick it up. It was, weird.
Diane 13 years ago
"Hm? Oh, no thank you I'm good." Diane declined the drink politely.

Ok even she could admit the fact that if she had opened a box with a tiny sparkle gun in she would have no idea what to think. In a hurry to at least not seem like a giant freak who handed out strange items Diane started to explain.

"I was thinking about what you said and I was thoroughly surprised you didn't carry any weapons. Then I thought to myself that I shouldn't assume everyone has had the same experiences as I have and therefor why would you even think to carry anything? Long story not so short is that's a functioning piece, it's small and semi unnoticable and it saved my ass once."

That had come out almost as one entire sentence so Diane let out a well needed breath.

"Obviously it's not firing off anything to do mortal damage but if you aim for the right spots, you get a great distraction."

This was proving to be as painful as she had thought.
Reign 13 years ago
Why was it a surprise that she didn't carry a weapon? Well granted Diane didn't know about the Doc's crew, or about Kem so maybe she might seem a bit vulnerable. But still, she'd dated Bas for quite some time after finding out about his wild side. She knew the rules and how to stay safe. Nothing, short of locking herself in a vault, was perfectly safe but she was better prepared than most.

From the sounds of it Diane's introduction into the wonderful world of werewolves hadn't been quite as controlled as hers. Huh. Well that was something she and her ex would have in common wasn't it.

Reign cocked her head and looked at the gun, gingerly picking it up. It made her uneasy. She wasn't a big fan of guns even one this little.

"Er... are you sure you want to part with it then? I mean... I don't know what kind of crowd ya'll run with but I wouldn't want you caught off guard or anything."

Really she was just perplexed as hell she didn't know what to make of -any- gift from Diane let alone this gift.
Diane 13 years ago
Diane smiled wide. It felt good not to rely on the tiny adorned piece of hardware. She had spent a good amount of time forcing herself to learn the ins and outs of what her body could do. It had taken a long time to learn to control her emotional shifting and even now she wasn't a 100% at it. Still, she had enough strength and control to for certain kill one person and nearly a second. Nah she didn't need the old training wheels anymore.

"I haven't taken it out of my nightstand in almost three years. I won't miss it. I'd rather you have it anyways. I know that I would feel responsible if something happened to you, don't ask why." She held her hand up to prematurely stop any argument that Reign may have.

"Besides, I know that Bastian wouldn't want anything to happen to you and he'd be devastated if something did."

She wasn't blowing smoke up Reign's ass either. Diane wasn't dense enough to think that just because they were no longer an item that Bastain wouldn't always carrying a special place in his heart for Reign. It was the fact of life and she felt the same for her sons father and he was long gone into the great abyss of the afterlife.
Reign 13 years ago
Well of course she wanted to know why Diane would feel responsible. Maybe Bas really had been cheating on her and Diane thought since they'd broken up Reign had lost her protector? Maybe Diane had hired the freaks who tried to break in? Maybe she was a mad stalker? Maybe she had made a pact with aliens from the planet Twilo to have her mother kidnapped? Reign decided that she had an over active imagination and that she didn't want to play what if any more.

"I know it doesn't look it, but I have back up. I suppose a little extra doesn't hurt anything."

How did you practice with this thing? Did you need a concealed weapons permit? And there went the wild questions again. She was going to have to stop this.

She offered a lopsided smile at that. Part of her knew Bas would be upset if something happened to her, part of her knew he'd get over it pretty fast. But she wasn't going to say that.

"Well the feeling is mutual. I mean I know he'd be crushed if something happened to you."

Reign covered herself. She would be unhappy if Bas got hurt. She was used to him leaving her, but it was some how OK if she knew he was still out there.
Diane 13 years ago
Diane nodded at Reign's remark. All though she wasn't sure how much back up Reign coincidered "back up" since she hadn't really sounded like she was worried about anything really.

"Oh! I almost forgot. The bullets that are in there are custom made, they're pure silver. Just incase you run into any supernatural trouble as well." She shrugged.

"It's worth being protected on all fronts."

Diane couldn't help but wonder if Reign had just admitted that she too worried about Bastian. Reign had been quick to reflect it on to Diane something told her that wasn't the hole truth. Instead of ignighting the jealously something else happened. Reign always seemed angry and like she didn't care but this may have been a small crack in the demeanor that told otherwise. This made Diane just a teensy bit happy that Reign too was fallible.

"Well I better go. I don't wanna keep you."
Reign 13 years ago
Well she'd be keeping the Boy away from it and not taking it any where near the Den. She couldn't imagine the Doc would approve. Speaking of the Doc she should find he and Nikhila some kind of baby related present. It sounded like she had popped finally. What did you get a baby werewolf though? A squeaky toy?

"I really do appreciate the thought."

She did too. It was odd and confusing and a little concerning but it was generous.

Reign bit her lip, it was sort of strange but she didn't want to drive Diane off.

"No worries. I was only... well not doing much. You could stop by again some time, if you wanted. It can get lonely way out on that ranch of his."

Being a city girl that was something Reign had never really adjusted to with Bastian's property and part of the reason she hadn't wanted to move all the way out there.
Diane 13 years ago
Diane nodded at Reign's invitation with a tight lipped smile. HIS home was not lonely. THEIR home was perfectly fine. She felt the hair on her neck bristle and she reminded herself to stay calm and that their was no reason to be angry, surely Reign wasn't claiming that Diane was simply a guest in Bastian's home.

"Sure maybe I will.You're more than welcome to stop by any time as well, your dog could run with the other two and they could all stretch their legs together."

Diane zipped her coat farther up her neck.

"Have a good one. I'll see you around sometime maybe."

Pushing the handle on the door she let herself out. She felt a little satisfied that she hadn't chickened out in coming here. She also felt a little sad to be leaving behind an item that had some sentimental meaning, but it was in the right place now. Diane only hoped that Reign wouldn't have to use it.

(ooc : out pending response)
Reign 13 years ago
Wolves. Some of them could be damned prickly. Even the Boy had his moment. Reign managed not to roll her eyes as Diane got herself under control.

"I appricate the offer."

Not that she'd ever set foot on Bas' property again. It wasn't anything against Diane, Reign was still a little... delicate over the matter of her ex. At least it had been clean this time, but she was still a might pissed at him, of course she was making nice with the main reason she was pissed so the logic was a bit hard to follow.

Following Diane to the door she smiled.

"I hope so."

Reign actually meant that too. She felt like it might be good if some one kept an eye on Diane while Bas was MIA and her pack sure didn't seem to be doing the job.

Locking the door she turned to Sirius.

"That was damned odd. Let's go find a place for ... this."

The big dog just wagged is tail at her and followed as Reign looked for an appropriate storage space for a very small gun.

((OOC... out too))