The Game is a paw! (private)

Jin looked at the note and object that Rupert had given him from Mara. He packed his bag that she had suggested and carried his own special packages to the car. He was excited and amused both at the same time. There could be nothing more interesting to him that a mystery and one with Mara at the end of it was romantic perfection.

He found where the deep teal and white Mini Cooper had been parked and settled his things carefully inside. Sliding behind the wheel, Jin studied the small piece of blown glass. The decorative little object was made with lines and a star. He tilted it various ways until it started to look familiar. A tiny map.

With a smile, Jin backed out of the garage and headed into town.

Jin 13 years ago
Jin pulled into the little box shaped store with the marquis sign flashing HOLLYWOOD VIDEO in bright golden letters. He hurried inside past the cardboard people crowded in the entrance looking for the first flesh and blood individual he could locate.

The teenager was bored. It was evident by his standing in the middle of the aisle with a bottle of cleaner in one hand and his cellphone in the other. The little device did not bear good news and it was tucked away with a disgusted sigh. He turned and Jin smiled.

"I believe someone left something here for me? Could I convince you to check?"
Clerk 13 years ago
*Oh well maybe next yr. Gonna go hit the bars with the girls. L8r!*

Augh. Nothing was worse than working Valentine's Day. Night. Whatever. Adam sighed and tucked his cell phone (and corresponding depressing text) away just as someone made themselves known behind him.

Concealing his disgusted expression behind a smile he said,
"Yeah sure, let me... oh."

Huh, the chick who'd been there just a couple hours earlier had said he'd be easy to spot. Not that people usually left packages to be picked up at a video store, but obviously this guy's girlfriend had something in mind. Lucky. Adam sure as hell wasn't getting any action tonight.

He grinned at the man with the long white hair and jerked his head toward the cash register. The girl had paid for the movie already and she'd asked him nicely to hold it for her friend. Heh. Sure, friend.

"Your girlfriend is hot," he said handing the movie and the little paper-wrapped package to the man over the counter. Then he felt his face grow red.

"God. Sorry. I meant she's nice. She was really nice."

Adam smacked himself in the forehead and rested his elbow on the counter with a sigh. It was going to be a long night.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin felt sorry for the guy being stuck here on Valentines Day babysitting a nearly empty store. He followed the kid over to the counter and waited. A movie and a package was set on the red laminate sill.

The editorial information given along with his package was a surprise. He would agree that Mara's appearance could be called hot. Personally he would have said captivating but that was his preference. The guy was certainly allowed his opinion and Jin now felt even more kindly disposed towards the man.

"Yes, quite hot. I agree."

He laughed when the kid amended his choice of phrasing. "And nice, definitely that too."

Taking his two items with him, Jin walked out to the car. He saw the guy pick up his cleaning bottle and make his way back to the shelves. Looking around the little line of stores, he found: a shoe store, a hallmark shop, a clothing store and a... that would work. He walked into the little Italian restaurant called Capozzi's and placed an order for some fresh garlic bread sticks and a large soda. Smiling at the woman behind the counter he asked her for a small favor, claiming in heavily accented English that his writing was 'no good'.

Returning to the video store, Jin sneaked the steaming package and cold drink behind the counter. Quickly he propped up the note which said 'Happy Valentines Day' in a neat feminine hand. Jin chuckled to himself as he quickly headed back to his car.

He looked down at the movie and smiled, Despicable Me. Perhaps they would get to watch all of it some time. Unwrapping the package, he found another piece of oddly shaped glass. Jin looked at it for a moment, flipping it over and around in his hands. Noticing the shape of it, he pulled out the last piece and found that the two fit together. Ah...

Soon he was off again.
Jin 13 years ago
The next place was a quaint rectangular building with faux pillars along its front and large murals of Roman celebrations on the sides. The name on the sign read 'In Vino Veritas'. Jin got out and went inside. The walls were lined with a wide variety of bottles stacked neatly on the shelves, the differences in appearance reminding him of volunteer soldiers of every shape and size queued up and ready to go to war.

The interior was warmly lit with hanging lamps instead of harsh fluorescent lighting. A heavy dark oak counter was along the back wall.

Jin approached the person behind it.

"I believe you might have something left for me?

He smiled and hoped he had the right place.
Clerk 13 years ago
Erin saw the man with the long white hair get out of the stylish mini Cooper and head toward the store. She smiled politely as he entered, trying to maintain the proper air of quiet dignity required for her job.

"I do," she said. Glancing down at the notepad beneath the register she looked back up. "Jin Han, yes?"

It never hurt to verify, although Erin doubted there could be two such men meeting the small woman's description who just happened to come in tonight. But, it was Valentine's Day after all. Wouldn't want to send the wrong thing with the wrong significant other.

Erin smiled and gestured toward the wine cooler in the back. Opening the door she removed a bottle of wine packed in a special case meant to insulate and keep it cold. The woman had said it might be a little bit before it was opened.

"Here you are," she said, handing the shorter man the carefully packed bottle of one of their better Rieslings. It had already been paid for, along with the special case.

"Oh. I almost forgot."

Erin went back to the front counter and removed a little package wrapped in brown paper from next to her notepad. "She said you'd need this."

She handed the little package to Jin and smiled, a little knowing smile. "Have a good night," she said politely, her eyes twinkling.

Business was brisk this night of all nights, people came in and out and hurried to buy this or that to make that night special but this was clearly deliberate and, if she had to guess, a great deal of fun. Erin was a little jealous; her husband wasn't nearly so creative. But still, there was a candle-lit dinner to go home to and a dinner he'd cooked himself, and that was plenty for her. Still, she watched the white-haired man leave and wondered exactly what this game was and where it would finish.
Jin 13 years ago
"Han, yes."

He smiled at the woman and collected the bottle of wine in its case. Tucking it in the crook of his arm, Jin waited. He figured there was something more, unless Mara was hiding somewhere in a wine shop. It seemed unlikely.

The woman looked at him still standing there and recalled the other package. This one was slightly bigger than the ones before it. Jin was curious what might be different. He gave the clerk a distracted nod as he took the wrapped item from her.

Her final farewell made him smile.
"I am sure I will." Jin waved. "Good luck to you too."

Outside, he sat the wine case down in the passenger side floor board. Opening the package, he found another piece of the map and a little mobile of glass. Jin chuckled. The ballroom with the chandelier. Mara had wanted to take it home.

He held it up to watch it sparkle in the light of the street lamp. Apparently she had managed quiet well.
Jin 13 years ago
"Wait, I think I will need to pull things out....but I am not certain." Jin told the valet. He knew that sounded completely insane. The reputation of his mental health was further slandered by his careful cradling of several glass objects.

"I will be right back. I promise!" Jin walked inside, leaving his car parked in the loading and unloading area out front.

He entered the Piazza and walked up to the concierge. Holding up the little glass mobile, Jin commented. "Its very pretty, isn't it?"
Clerk 13 years ago
Bernard looked at the man with the dangly glass thingy and raised his eyebrows. "It's lovely, yes. May I help you?"

They were really very busy and he didn't have time to chat with someone who wasn't planning to book a room. Before the strange man could answer though, Marcia came around the corner from the back and rushed to the front of the counter.

"Oh, you have it!" she exclaimed. "She said it looked like the chandeliers in the ballroom, she was right! I can't wait to get one."

Bernard's eyebrows rose further at Marcia's enthusiasm. He had no idea what was going on here but apparently his co-worker did. Over the smaller woman's shoulder, he shrugged at the man with the mobile.

Meanwhile, Marcia kept on talking.
"Come with me please," she said, moving around the counter. Heading toward the ballroom she continued to chatter pleasantly at Jin. "It's so busy tonight but this seemed like such fun I couldn't resist. And your wife promised to make me a little mobile like that for my help since I liked it so much."

She looked slightly guilty. "I know we're not supposed to take bribes or anything but it seemed more like a tip to me, you know? And tips are all right!"

As they reached the ballroom, which attached directly to the kitchens that helped make the Piazza famous, Marcia opened the great doors. Turning to Jin she said, "You have a few minutes before the party starts. She said you'd need this."

Marcia handed him a small wrapped package and said, "I need to get a few things. I'll be right back."

It was five or ten minutes before she returned, bearing a small cooler which she handed to Jin. Then, with a smile, she said, "I hope you figured out whatever she was trying to tell you. This is the last clue."

She offered one more package wrapped in brown paper, about six inches long and quite heavy for its size.

"I have to close the doors now," Marcia said apologetically. "You know, so people can make their grand entrances and all. Good luck with everything!"
Jin 13 years ago
Jin followed along behind the enthusiastic employee listening to her speak about meeting Mara and the promise of a little glass mobile in return for helping out. His 'wife' was very sweet like that. Jin wondered if Mara titled herself such or the woman just assumed. There might have been reasons for it at the time. However he really didn't think that it was likely. Mara probably figured that the woman would either be helpful or not without the need to say they were bound together legally. Who didn't like a nice romantic story? No, the woman probably just came to that conclusion on her own. Jin smiled, not feeling the urge to correct her. He hoped that he and Mara remained together for many years and never stopped doing romantic things for each other. Let the woman believe that some married people were still in love and behaved that way.

He unwrapped the package and found another piece of glass. Fitting it together with the others, he held it up. The whole collection was oddly shaped together. Jin frowned slightly, running his fingers over the ridges and valleys. They weren't exactly smooth. Mara wouldn't have made it so oddly shaped if there wasn't a reason. Tilting his head to the side, he peered at it harder. The off kilter perspective was helpful. Jin smiled and turned the whole little collage over.

He looked out the windows. The clues led to here but only the package was given. There had to be a reason for going to the ballroom, aside from a trip down memory lane, this was a mystery after all. Raising the little glass structure in his hand up to eye level, he looked at it and the out at the skyline. They matched...Jin moved the little glass buildings over until it lined up with a section of Nachton... Right there.

The woman returned while he was still looking at the pieces of glass, admiring Mara's handy work. It was really very ingenious. He couldn't wait to put it somewhere in his apartment so that he had a reminder of this little adventure.

He smiled at her and nodded. "
She's very clever and leaves good clues." He held up the little glass piece so that the woman could see. Jin thought she would be happy to know a little part of the story. "Little buildings." He didn't hold it to the window to show her exactly where, to him that was private. But at least she could see how the puzzle fit together.

Jin took the next package and the cooler. The cooler contained the makings of a meal. Opening the package revealed a large, old key with the words Lowden written down the side. He took his items and headed to the lobby. Sitting down in a deep over stuffed chair, he pulled out his iphone. A search for Lowden in connection with Nachton and locksmiths came up with a business that had been around in the 1920's that made heavy secure doors for buildings.

The part of town that Mara's map showed was bound to have buildings from that time period. He just had to find the right one. Jin hurriedly gathered his things and headed out to his car. The valet watched him carefully stow his items. The man's expression suggested that the question of Jin's sanity had taken a turn for the better. Slightly.

Driving slowly through the area, he saw several buildings that were old enough to have the right kind of doors. Most of the buildings looked to be from the forties or fifties. They were once shiny and new but now had the worn around the edges look that didn't change even with a new coat of paint. It wasn't a rich part of town but not the worst of it either. In a way it was quiet, with working people, who were busy living their own lives, raising their children, trying to make ends meet.

Jin found a few older buildings. The first was barely more than a husk, the doors were busted and nearly every window was devoid of glass. It hardly looked to be the right place. He drove on. The second one was in better shape. It appeared vacant. The windows were uncovered and a quick look inside proved that it was empty. The third was more promising.

This building was an old car repair shop and it had all the appearances of being abandoned. The windows are all boarded up tight. There were no cars parked here and no welcoming light anywhere on the outside. Jin parked the Cooper and studied the building. There were no signs of forced entry, no loose boards. The whole structure looked very solid and quite weatherproof. He smiled. It appeared to be carefully and purposefully fashioned to look vacant.

He could think of no better place for a privacy loving cat. Jin walked around the side and found a set of heavy cellar doors. As a matter of habit, he blended and peeked through the wall. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary. He hadn't expected it to be otherwise but in light of their recent past, Jin took no chances that someone might be lying in wait to ruin an otherwise perfect evening.

Back at the car, he collected his things. He slung the overnight bag on his shoulder, tucked a box under one arm, another in his pocket, he stacked the wine on top of yet another box and held the cooler by the handle in one hand. Now he was ready to see where this trail had led him.

((OOC: Continued Here ))