The Suit That You Wear (Attn: Bao)

Pak looked up at her creator from the flat of her back. She was sweaty and panting and thoroughly irritated with him. It was extremely tempting to launch into a tirade against him, but as that is what had landed her (quite literally) in this position in the first place she managed to restrain herself. He had this nasty habit of not putting up with her temper and the last thing she'd said to him had been rather rude, totally forgetting he spoke Siamese and Bao had rather immediately thrown her across his hip.

What was worse, it was a hold and a throw that he'd been teaching her how to break and counter and she -still- wasn't getting it. At least this time though she managed to direct her venting away from him. He tended to be more tolerant when she wasn't mouthing off at him.

"God damned it! Why am I still putting up with this. I'm no good at it. I know it, you know it... the mats sure as hell know it. I'm not meant to fight."

With an experience and grace she hadn't possessed before agreeing to let Bao teach her martial arts, Pak rolled to her feet. With a skill of centuries of practice though, she moodily stalked away from him frustrated with her performance.

Bao 13 years ago
When -was- she going to learn that her outburst and less than respectful behavior wasn't going to be tolerated, especially in the dojo? Bao thought before throwing her, with a bit more force than strictly necessary, into the mats. He didn't feel about it though, if she would simply learn this technique well then she'd be able to counter him and throw him in return.

Apparently she still hadn't learned as she glared up at him.

Bao only calmly blinked at her. At least, she did not take her temper out on him this time. It was frustrating, she had so much passion and yet he couldn't channel it. It was his own fault for not training her from the first of course, but he could see she was at least making an effort.

He grinned as she expertly picked herself back up. Even that had been clumsy just a few weeks ago, she was improving.

"You are doing much better. You would improve faster if we practiced more though."

He had learned she responded much better to encouragement and positive feed back than more negative stimuli although occasionally the best way to get her to do something was to tell her she couldn't. But Bao saved that trick for dire circumstances. If Pakpao ever figured it out, it would become worthless.

After giving her a few seconds to lick her wounds, but when she didn't come back, he called her.

"Again. We aren't done yet."

His tone was not as demanding as it would have been of his other children.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak glowered at him, but as usual her maker appeared totally un intimidated. He obviously failed to pick up on her T-Rex vibe. Or, Pak reluctantly conceded, his was better possibly more velociraptor. Either way she did as she was told.

They went through the exercise again, and again, each time she felt like she was getting a little closer but still just missing. With more patience than Pak would have given him credit for, at least before meeting him, Bao corrected her grip, her stance her movements, until suddenly it seemed to click and she was looking down at him.

"I did it!"

Her celebration was short lived as Bao rolled and swept her feet out from under her. Apparently he'd started the next lesson. Pak just lay there, on her back, staring at the ceiling until he called her back.
Bao 13 years ago
"Yes you did. Very good." Bao conceded to her prone form. "Now, do it again."

This went on for quite some time, until Pakpao was able to throw him every time and was even starting to avoid him knocking her down. It was a work in progress, but he truly was proud. She was no more than an amateur, not even an advanced amateur, although several months ago she'd stopped being a beginner, but he was proud.

She had stuck with this. He didn't understand why. Bao had though he'd lose her after telling Pakpao about her children. But he hadn't. She'd continued with this and meeting him to play chess once a month or so.

Finally seeing that her patience had worn quite thin he called a halt to the evenings lesson.

"You really are doing quite well. I'm pleased you have continued."
Pakpao 13 years ago
-Finally- they were done. Really she didn't know why she kept doing this to herself. It wasn't like she needed Bao any longer. Maybe it was some warped form of gratitude for not leaving her children orphans and to starve to death. Although, if he hadn't killed her husband they wouldn't have been orphans. She frowned. This was obviously a complicated relationship.

Grabbing a towel she began to wipe the sweat from her face neck and arms. Before those few words would have made her quite suspicious. It seemed strange to Pak, but her bond with Kem had helped her relationship with Bao. While she didn't entirely trust Bao, she had some faith he wouldn't hurt her. However, knowing that even if he knocked her unconscious or some how kept her from sending that some one would know something was up gave her a little added confidence. It was back up with out having to bring back up. It let her relax and get to know him rather than constantly watching him, wondering.

So now, she was able to read between the lines. It wasn't just praise, she raised an eyebrow at the unspoken question. Some day he was going to have to just cut to the chase and -ask- instead of this dance of his.

"Translation - Why do I keep coming and letting you throw me around?"

He never showed much emotion, but Pak had noticed Bao had let his guard down a small fraction around her. She was able to see mild irritation in his expression followed by a faint smile, he was almost amused. He almost never really smiled, but he thought about it this time.
Bao 13 years ago
Perhaps they should have worked on hr manners before self defense Bao mused. This child of his was far too blunt some times. She obviously could play the game of manners, or she wouldn't have understood the question, she just opted not to.

Reminding himself that she was different than his sons, that she had more or less raised herself and owed him nothing Bao let himself be amused by her 'translation' and with a faint smile nodded.

"Yes. I had suspected that you were only interested in your family. You know what happened to them now, I'm surprised you are still speaking to me."

It was a very honest answer from Bao, almost an apology as well. He did regret some of how he'd handled her turning, and her family, but done was done he didn't dwell on it and didn't encourage her to either.

Tossing his own towel off to the side he raised a hopeful eyebrow.

"Perhaps you are reconsidering my offer?"
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak blinked, momentarily confused, uncertain what he was talking about. When it clicked she shook her head.

"I thought I was clear on that point. I've never thought about it. It isn't an option."

Too much of who she was, her family, her friends, career, life was bound up in her clan. Even if she had wanted to leave, Pak didn't think she could. But that didn't answer his question.

As she thought about it Pak wished for a clove. Maybe this was why she liked playing chess with him better, well that and she won more often than not and didn't get tossed around.

"I don't know. I think I'm still trying to make you out."

She didn't understand her maker, how he could turn her and leave her on the side of the road, then kill her husband for basically doing the same thing and the see to her children's futures it made very little sense to her. And she was still a little scared of him, a little leery and Pak didn't like that, she was trying to over come it.

But other than that, she just wasn't sure. It would have been easier maybe even more logical to simply cut him back out of her life. She didn't need him, she'd proven that. But some small part of Pak liked Bao, not trusted not yet, but liked.

"Why do you keep putting up with me?"

Pak countered, it was a logical question she though. He had to know his original plan, or whatever it was, was shot to hell and back. Why did he care any more?
Bao 13 years ago
"You are my child, I have a responsibility."

Bao answered automatically and was quite taken aback when she snapped at him.

"Bullshit. I am my own and you know it. Why."

While he did roll his eyes at her usual tact Bao had to acknowledge that Pakpao was right. She owed him nothing, in fact he would understand if she still resented him. And he could hardly claim a responsibility to her when he'd lost her for more than two centuries and when he did find her wound up terrorizing her.

Certainly she wasn't an ideal offspring, terse, showed him very little respect, shockingly ignorant in some areas, hence these lessons and far too emotional and yet extremely difficult to actually speak to on occasion. Yet he felt a need to try and correct this and even protect her, or at least try and teach her to protect herself.

Bao busied himself putting things away as he considered his only daughter. She had courage, spirit that was certain. She'd tried to fight off his command the first time he'd spoken to her and more recently, during that unfortunate encounter in California, she had overcome it even if she might not know that. He had yet to see her truly back down from anything.

Beyond that, she had shared herself with him. He'd seen her angry, fearful, seen joy and sorrow. He still remembered the odd combination of loathing and gratitude Pakpao had looked at him with when he'd told her he'd seen to her children. That had meant something to her and ... to him? Was that possible?

Rather than admit to himself, or to her, that he might actually enjoy her company, like her, admire her, Bao changed the subject.

"Where did you learn to throw off command? Who taught you?"

To the best of his knowledge no one within Evenhet had this particular skill, so how had she learned to counter it?
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak rolled her eyes at him, making no effort to conceal her irritation at the change of subject. Her answer, while a bit of a copout had at least been honest and straight forward. He had to go and change the subject.

She sneered at the question, she knew far too well what her maker was capable of with that 'gift' of his. She hated it.

"You mean that sick, twisted and evil thing you do to people's minds?"

It was said with sugary school girl sweetness rather than her usual cutting sarcasm. Of course, the sweetness would have the same effect.

Bao only nodded curtly and answered, "Yes."

It must be a lawyer thing. You either couldn't get them to shut up or they didn't say -anything-. Still, Pak thought before she answered.

"No one taught me. I just... didn't want you to win. ... ... Again."

Involuntarily Pak shivered a bit. She remembered all too well of mind and body both acting counter to her will. It had taken some time, it wasn't instantaneous, and a -hell- of a lot of effort but she'd broken free and as a result had broken his nose. She still didn't regret that.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao rubbed his nose without realizing it. She had taken him by surprise throwing off his command like that and as a result broken his nose in two places. Quite shocking at the time and now to hear she had no training in this and had broken it by sheer force of will Bao's eyebrows raised in astonishment. Impressive. He had been a bit sloppy and hurried in his command to her, but it was still impressive.

"Perhaps we should add more practice along those lines to our sessions."

If she'd done it on a purely instinctual level she would still be vulnerable to an older vampire, to a more well thought out command. No one was totally immune, but he could increase her odds.
Pakpao 13 years ago
She didn't know if it was good or bad that she'd managed to win that battle. It wasn't like she had much practice either way. Three times in her life people had tried to use that 'gift' on her and two times, she'd beaten it. Pak didn't know what that meant, but he seemed surprised.

His suggestion though brought an immediate reaction. Pak was furious at the very idea, fangs quite evident when she snarled at him with venom in her voice.

"You come near me with that... I swear that will be the end of this. I won't have -anything- to do with it."

Part of her recognized the value in that offer but she couldn't see past her own bias. It wasn't just a bias it bordered on phobia, paranoia even. If he were to attempt it with out her consent even for her own good it would break what little trust there was between them.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao was slightly taken aback by her vehemence. He would have suspected that she would embrace the idea, another skill to add to her arsenal, something more that she could use to hold her own. This anger, fear reaction was not healthy. He quickly sought to reassure her. But he also pressed the issue.

"It is something you need to have better control of, it is a matter of self defense really."

Most of what Bao had been teaching Pakpao had been self defense, even these training sessions were primarily that. How to break a hold, how to disable someone, slow an attacker, and how to use their size and strength against them.

Remember her insistence on having people around them during their first meeting, and continued desire on that point for several meetings after that he supplemented the idea.

"Bring some one with you or even record the practice."

He wasn't going to abuse her trust in him and was attempting to set Pakpao's mind at ease on that point.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak immediately retreated behind her defensive. Her expression and body language totally neutral. She shouldn't have let him know how much she hated it... command. No the discussion was done. Pak packed up her bag and shook her head at him.

"It is wrong and it will come back to get you."

She muttered at him and then turned to leave.

"But I'll think about it. I'll let you know. Chess?"

He nodded and that was good enough for her. Still it was a little wired for her to be socializing with him, but... it was coming. It was a work in progress. Maybe this was getting better, maybe worse, it probably depended on what you were looking for didn't it?

((OOC... Pak out))
Bao 13 years ago
Well there was a certain risk in command. He knew that. He'd seen it when the she wolf had challenged his command the last time. She hadn't broken it, but she had challenged it. It just meant he had to keep her under better control.

He had faith that his offspring would reach the correct conclusion and accept lessons from him. It would be interesting to see if she came alone or not. She had courage and spirit but she could be cautious. Bao sighed. He could be proud of her. Perhaps he was.

If nothing else he would look forward to the chess game. Pakpao was formidable at the board, he lost more often than not. With her gone the dojo was surprisingly empty. Pondering that realization Bao packed up his things and left as well.

((OOC... Bao out))