Nostalgia (Attn: Tai & Nara)

They'd had a good night, collected a couple of loans and looked at some real estate. Val was still searching for likely properties and other ideas. She didn't like to have her fingers in too many pies, but by the same token didn't like to have all her eggs in one basket. She did, however, apparently like to use a lot of cliches but who really cared?

With work done she'd sort of steered them to Shades. Once in a while the atmosphere appealed to her, it reminded her of home and Giovanni and a lot of other things. Besides she wasn't in the mood to get into a fight tonight and that wouldn't be a problem here. Tai hadn't objected so they found a table toward the back, out of the way.

She'd ordered a Highball, it was what she'd been drinking lately, settled into her chair and then stretched hugely and grinned at her partner.

"I never did ask if you liked jazz."

The three man combo, piano bass and drums, playing now was low, slow and smooth but not that nasty cheesy 'smmoooooth' jazz you got some places or in elevators. Val would be good money that they could kick it up if they felt like it.

She also didn't necessarily expect an answer. Tai was... well he was Tai and he wasn't chatty. She was fine with that and he was apparently fine with her being more loquacious that was strictly required from time to time.

Ichiro Taiji 13 years ago
Val was generally in a good mood when they'd made money, which they had that evening. Not that Tai had a preference for her good moods over her bad ones; they both had their place.

Following her into Shades', Tai took a look around. He'd heard about this place. There was always rumor in their world, but apparently this was complete truth. He'd heard Shades was intimidating, but the mountain of a man he saw standing in one corner talking to a patron made intimidating sound warm and fuzzy. He was huge, easily past 6'5", and Tai noted that his gold-flecked eyes seemed to miss nothing when they walked in.

It was very easy to believe that Shades was not to be fucked with.

As they sat down Tai held up two fingers to indicate he would have what Val was having. His tawny eyes gazed out over the dancers on the floor and took in the jazz band while he considered Val's words.

"Are you asking me now?"

He raised his eyebrows at Val and waited for her to answer him before he furnished any further response.
Valentine 13 years ago
She didn't turn to look at Tai right away, instead following his gaze to both Shades, who she had seen before but never met and then to the dancers. The few couples were rather intimately pressed together in keeping with the music.

With a sly smile she turned to him and arched an eyebrow.

"It depends on what your answer is. They seem to have a good sound."

They had an odd little relationship and Val had no doubt that if he truly objected to being here Tai either wouldn't have come or would have left.

Leaning back she crossed her legs and, as was her habit, let one of her incredibly high heels dangle from her toes as she spun one of her rings around.

"Would you rather I ask you if you liked to dance?"

Val teased her eyes sparkling with easy good humor.
Tai raised both eyebrows at Val, who still refused to actually phrase her questions in the form of, well, a question. And until she did that, there would be no forthcoming answer. Which she likely knew. They'd been hanging around each other long enough.

On the topic of the sound, he just lifted his shoulders at the band, which with him could usually mean anything from "Yeah they're all right" to "let's kill them later."

As their drinks arrived Tai favored Val with a somewhat disgusted look.
"I don't dance," he said flatly.
Valentine 13 years ago
OK so she was pushing a bit, but it was fun and he didn't seem to mind not in as much as Tai minded anything. So Val only laughed, her throaty smokey laugh, the one that she seemed to favor when she was interested in other after work activities, at his non-answer.

Taking a healthy swallow of her highball she grinned over the rim at him, just as clearly telling him she wasn't going to actually ask.

He didn't dance? That was something of a shock to Val, after all Tai moved so well. Setting her drink down she leaned forward and shook her head.

"Now that, lover, is a waste. "

There was no point in asking if he'd mind if she found some one who did dance and played with them. He wouldn't. Nor would she mind if he decided to play with some one else. That just wasn't how their relationship worked. Val simply thought he could be a very good dancer.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
An older dress, compared to most in her closet, had been pulled out for the evening. The simply black sheath hugged her curves like a lover and the mid-thigh skirt flared just a bit around the hem for accent while dancing. The top was sleeveless with a halter type strap coming up from each side of the front to fasten behind her neck, leaving her back bare to about half way down, and a low delving neckline exposing a nice peek of the curve of her breasts along the center line of her chest. It didn't fall below her breasts, more about a third of the way between them. Strappy black heels, black dangling circle earrings, and several black bracelets finished out the look.

As she had been applying a smokey eyed look with her makeup, she had decided to leave her hair down around her shoulders. She liked the way it felt across her back as she danced. Well, that and some guys enjoyed sliding their hands under it to caress her back, or so she had been told. And this evening was to be about just getting out and having some fun. She was about to start work in not one but possibly two jobs, and had been dealing with some serious stuff back home with her friend for several months now. She needed some down time.

She entered the club with a glance around, her black clutch in her right hand. It was an amazing place. She could already feel the beat of the music calling to her and her gaze turned toward the dance floor with a smile. Yes, this was what she needed. Spotting a place to sit down, she headed over that way while glancing around at the patrons already in evidence, partially just people watching, but mainly looking for hot guys that looked to be interested in finding someone to dance with.
Tai allowed his lips to tilt up a bit at Val's desire to be difficult. It was just how she was. They never made demands on each others' personalities, and that arrangement served them well. He did note her laugh though and his smile grew slightly. She could find whatever entertainment she liked, as could he, but that laugh generally meant they would go back to her place together.

Sipping at his drink he smirked at Val, who misinterpreted his few words.
"Tonight," he clarified.

He wasn't in a dancing mood. Or, he wasn't at this moment. Val could probably talk him into it if she were so inclined but they weren't exclusive. If someone else appealed to her she was welcome to look there too. For Tai, the appeal of dancing with a stranger was minimized due to their location; anywhere but Shades' he could have made a meal out of whatever partner he'd found but here that was off limits.

It was a shame too, there were plenty of good-looking meals here.
Valentine 13 years ago
Let it not be said that Tai was less that perceptive. It wasn't a huge signal but she did see his smile brighten a bit. Sitting back she looked slightly smug, certainly pleased with herself. It was nice to have something to go home to.

Ah, now that made more sense.

"That I believe. If I had known you were hungry we could have gone elsewhere, or did you plan on a nosh when we got home?"

It should have been perfectly innocent, talking about a meal, but Val had no problems making it suggestive. She was fully aware he couldn't get anything to eat here. She wasn't about to even consider it, especially not with Shades himself here tonight.

Catching a look at a girl who'd just walked in she raised an eyebrow at Tai, just playing, not flirting, not threatened, not jealous, just playfully curious.

"In the mood for red heads tonight?"
Nara Baker 13 years ago
Finding a seat in the bar area at a table that allowed her to be as near the dance floor as possible, Nara waited for a waitress to take her order. "White Elephant, if you have it. If not then, just a pina colada."

She had a thing for cocoa nut. It was a great flavor in just about anything one consumed in her mind. Laying her clutch down on the top of the table, she put her coat back over the back of the chair, and moved her shoulders to the jazzy beat while she waited for the drink to arrive while also trying to look available for a dance. She made eye contact with one fellow that was looking her way and smiled with a wink.
Tai's tawny eyes flickered to the redhead in question as he shrugged his shoulders at Val. He'd find something tasty sooner or later. It didn't need to be right this moment.

The woman was dressed pretty suggestively. She sat down at a table and seemed to be doing her best to attract some attention. Tai watched her for a few moments and lifted a shoulder at Val.

"At least one," he responded with a catlike smile, anticipating what would happen when they left. Sex with Val was always fun. Expensive sometimes, depending what they broke during the act, but fun.

Two redheads though, maybe. He wasn't sure if he felt like going to all the trouble of acting sociable and polite just to lure her outside of Shades' when he could forego both chatting and manners and pounce on some unsuspecting yokel down the block.
Valentine 13 years ago
"One can occasionally be enough can't it?"

She teased reveling in his feline smile. It seemed to go with his eyes, which were more brown than gold but they had an almost cat like quality. Probably the lazy calculating look of a predator, what ever it was Val liked it.

Taking a better look at the woman Val decided she'd be an easy mark if they wanted to just snatch her purse. They way the red head was looking for attention meant Tai would be well received and then she could just slide in and grab the cash, or cards, or whatever. But they weren't much into purse snatching. It was bush league.

Switching which leg was crossed over which Val wrinkled her nose and shook her head a bit.

"Cocoanut. I think we can pass. That might be worse than pine sol."

Although, she was a little curious, this was not the best pick up joint she'd ever seen. There were a number of bars, pubs, clubs and other establishments to actually find a date.

"Not sure she is worth the trouble."

They were both looking at her as, well, lunch but the local... Val was going to have to find a better place for unwinding after a gig. There had to be somewhere between The House of Pain and Shades.

The same three piece combo switched it up and hit something with a lot more bounce and Val watched as more couples hit the floor.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
When the drink arrived, Nara smiled and paid for it with the money that she had brought with her. She didn't have but one credit card, and rarely used it since her return due to the bill being so high from her trip. She had brought just enough to have a nice time, about $30. She didn't even sip the drink. She liked to look like she was drinking, but hated drunks. She would nurse the drink all evening, making it last with slow deliberate sips. The coconut helped mask the taste of the alcohol which she wasn't fond of.

She glanced over to where two people, a man and woman seemed to be watching her. She nodded, but figured she was imagining things. She loved jazz and when the music turned to a more lively tune, she looked back to the trio with a smile. A man walked up to her table, the one she had been making eye contact with earlier, and invited her to the dance floor. She picked up her clutch in one hand as she took his proffered hand with the other. On the dance floor, she moved against him with a lithe motion of her body. The music's beat guiding her motions. A cheery laughter filtered around the dancing couple as the tall bald man that had asked her to dance teased her lightly.
The hand with the purse resting lightly on his shoulder as the other lay with a flat palm upon his chest. His hands moved down over her hips as they danced.
Tai continued to watch the redhead in question as she made her way to the dance floor almost immediately with some guy. Turning back to Val he answered, "Almost always."

He smirked at the mention of pine sol, recalling quite vividly that in spite of their speculation the housekeeping staff in the Piazza did not, inf act, taste like Pine Sol. Tai had taken the opportunity to appease his curiosity in that regard.

Tai lifted his shoulder at Val's assessment of the dancing redhead.
"You go find out," he suggested. He could have sworn he did the last one.
Valentine 13 years ago
Val just grinned slyly. She'd be disappointed if she didn't leave here with Tai tonight and get a good romp in bed out of it. She didn't even argue the 'almost' part of it. She was open minded about sex and didn't have too many boundaries, so long as she was one of the red heads Val wouldn't argue.

She rolled her eyes at him. They'd sort of split the last one. She'd picked a fight he'd taken her to bed. At least Val assumed he had. It didn't matter. The point was of the two of them she was considerably more social and talkative than her partner.

Tucking her foot back in her shoe Val stood and finished her drink.

"Why don't you get me another while you wait."

She ambled out on to the dance floor, and was soon joined by a guy but Val was more dancing at him than with him. Weaving her way through the dancers Val eventually got near their coconut loving red head and stumbled toward her, but not into.

"Christ. I'm sorry about that. I didn't get you did I?"
Nara Baker 13 years ago
Nara glanced over, pulling away from the man she was with, her hand with the clutch still on his shoulder. "Oh no, we're fine. Aren't we Josh?" He gave a nod. Nara looked at Val though.

"Are you ok?" She asked with concern. She was a friendly person after all. She had seen the stumble and though Val hadn't contacted Nara directly, the other woman might have broken a heel or been bumped by someone else to cause the stumble in the first place. Nara realized that this was the woman from the table where they had seemingly been watching her earlier. She brushed it off as her imagination and coincidence, though and waited for the answer to her concerned question. The bald man though was impatient.

"We dancing or what?" She frowned at him and pulled her hand from his shoulder.

"Not any more we're not." She looked to Val. "Let me walk you back to your table. Just to make sure you haven't hurt your ankle or something."
Tai simply chuckled softly at Val as she headed toward the dance floor. He flagged down a waitress with a raised finger and did order another drink for his partner while she made a convincing act of stumbling into the redhead and her partner. After a brief chat they turned and headed back toward the table together.

Stretching his legs out in front of him, crossing them at the ankles, Tai waited patiently. He didn't realize Val delivered meals. He'd have to avail himself of this service in the future. Although it was probably his turn next time, really.

He nodded at the other woman when she reached the table and didn't introduce himself; he just used his toe to push out one of the vacant chairs at the table, inclining his head to her in an invitation to sit if she liked.

((ooc: Kinda assumed they're heading to the table since Nara was gonna walk her back but if not, I can edit!))
Valentine 13 years ago
"Oh just ducky sunshine. New shoes and all haven't gotten the hang of them yet is all."

Val said with a bright smile. Absolutely no harm was done, would have been stupid if there had been, she was the one who had started this.

She raised a mental eyebrow at the coconut. Wow that was... special. Not that her dance partner was anything terribly special but it was just a stumble. Honestly, Val was trying hard not to laugh. This level of concern over something so little was special, hell she'd never been this nice not even when she was alive.

"Honey these are short by my normal standards just a bobble no reason to fret. Can't say the heeler is any loss though."

The guy didn't exactly have rhythm, but whatever.

Heading back to the table Val made very sure Nara couldn't see, but flashed a fangy grin at Tai. It really was a shame they were in Shades tonight. This had been easy. Sliding into her seat she nodded to the empty chair.

"Take the weight off."

((OOC... ditto... can always edit if we need ))
Nara Baker 13 years ago
"Imagine the gall of the man not being patient enough for me to ask about you being okay? All of a few moments there and he was getting all persnickety and impatient. Not worth my time. Definitely not a loss." She gave a shrug.

"Common courtesy is worth a few moments." She explained. At the table, she smiled at the man's pushing the chair out for her, and glanced at Val with a nod when the verbal invitation had been given. "Thanks."

She sat down, glancing up as a waiter went by. "Could you bring my drink over. It's at the table over there." She motioned to the table with a smile before pulling a tip from her clutch to slip the man. He nodded and within a moment or two the white elephant had been placed on a napkin in front of her.

"I'm Nara, by the way." She took a sip of the drink after setting her purse beside the napkin and scooting her chair closer to the table.
Valentine 13 years ago
Ah the ideals of youth. Val immediately pegged coconut as a serious goodie two shoes. Sure the world needed them but she never could figure out exactly why.

After wrinkling her nose at the drink, but knowing full well that Tai wouldn't do introductions Val crossed her legs and toyed with her drink.

"Nice to meet you Nara, I'm Val and this is Tai."

She pointed at her partner indicating who was who.

"Well you got me back here all safe and sound. But what brought you in here in the first place?��?

Not too many people liked jazz these days. It was a bit of a dying art form, which was a damned shame.
Nara Baker 13 years ago
Nodding to Val and Tai, Nara smiled. She shrugged turning her glass with her fingertips where it sat on the table. "I had some time in band back in high school. The band director was really into jazz and got several of us hooked on it too. I like the way it makes me feel. Not many of these places around. I was excited to find out about this one."

"What about you two? From around here, or just visiting the town? I live here myself, but not for very long yet. So, still getting to know the area and its attractions." She explained glancing around at the others in the club. "Seems to be quite a few people here that also share the enjoyment of either the atmosphere, the music, or both."
Tai smiled his subtle half-smile when Val introduced them to Nara. He inclined his head in greeting and continued to let the women carry on the conversation between themselves. Val wouldn't mind. Tai was plenty chatty when they were alone together but by unspoken agreement she did nearly all of the talking when they were out on the town.

Finishing off his own drink he signaled one of the waitresses for a second. Neither woman seemed to need a refill at the moment so he didn't extend the offer. Still lazily stretched out in his chair he kept his eyes upon Nara with interest. Her personal life didn't appeal to him, but he was hungry.