The dream sequence

The warm air swirled around him on the park bench as he leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. It was dusk and the sun was getting ready to set behind the hills and trees on the horizon. Luka looked to his right and Delilah beamed a toothless smile back at him before she looked away. Luka sat up and opened his mouth to speak when Delilah turned back to him. Her eyes were different, no longer blue instead a brown that felt familiar.

"Go home Luka." She said before standing up to walk out into the park towards the thin metal swing set.

Luka brows furroughed together and he outstretched his arm but before he could speak he was interupted once more, this time from the sound of gunfire.

"Delilah!" He screamed and jumped off the bench making a slow beeline towards where she walked.

"Delilah get down!"

Eight men came running into park and Luka's blood ran cold at their uniforms. The green and gray of the Securitate was something Luka was very accustomed to. Spinning on his heels he held his hands out in front of him and began shouting in Romanian.

"Stop! Stop! She's an informer, she's an informer! She's on our side!"

The men ignored Luka as they surounded Delilah laughing and shoving her. Running felt like his feet was embedded in quicksand but he reached the mob of men and jumped up on the shoulders and arms of the soldiers, his own arm reaching for Delilah. The sleeve of his coat was the same green as the men around him and he slipped from the surprize.

"Back up brother we've got her under control. She will make for a good public humilation display don't you think?" The soldier closest to him said with a laugh.

The men started to drag Delilah away and Luka could see her nose was broke and that her eyes were swollen shut. He took a step forward but the same soldier placed a palm on his chest and grinned. Luka was frozen as the man walked away. Grief flooded Luka and his eyes burned. He couldn't move or scream or do anything to save Delilah. Hopelessness began to consume him when the bonds that were holding him in place broke. The men and Delilah were gone and Luka feel to his knee unable to breathe.

"She was only a human Luka. You'll find more."

Magda's voice said from behind him. Luka whirled to his feet.

"You!" he screamed.

His twin stood with a surprised look on her more rounded feminine identical face. Her brown eyes were wide with shock and she slowly raised her hands out in front of her. The wind picked up as Luka took back control of his dream and blew her long brown hair around her frame.

"Luka relax, listen..."

"No you listen! I am not a child! Why are you doing this? What difference does it make to you, to Panos, to ANYBODY that I have Delilah? And I know it was Panos who told you so don't even try to protect him. There's no other reason you would be here."

Magda crossed her arms over her chest and cocked her hip.

"You haven't returned my calls little brother, how else was I to reach you? Besides you're behaving like a child so therefor you get treated like one. Panos tells me you are playing human with this girl. That's dangerous for you Luka and you know that. Get rid of her before you make a mistake you can't take back."

Luka balled his hands into fists. He had never struck out at Magda before but tonight he just might. He was sick and tired of everyone treating him like a porcelain figure, ready to break if the wind blew the wrong way.

"Dangerous for me? Please elaborate."

"Yes dangerous for you. Your different Luka, your not like most of us. You were injured so badly, both physically and mentally and when I turned you I thought it would fix it all but it didn't. Your..."

"Please, go ahead say it."

"Luka."

"Say it!" he stormed.

"You're damaged!" She raged back.

Instead of being angry, Luka felt pity. Pity for the sister who turned her brother in hopes of saving him and was rewarded with a mess instead. He wasn't shocked by her admission; he had known it was what they had all thought for years. In fact he was relieved to finally hear her say it.

Pulling his shoulders back he straightened his posture and dissolved his Securitate uniform to the modern Romanian military blues. He took a moment to tug on his sleeve and pick a lint ball from the jacket before he spoke.

"Things change Magda. Even the impossible. I'm not getting rid of Delilah. She is not trash to be tossed away. She will stay at my side regardless of how you and Panos feel."

"By your side she is in danger. She is going to die Luka let her go."

Luka was finished listening to his righteous sister tell him what was best for him. Like usual, she knew better than he did, hell apparently she knew him better than he did.

"We all die sister, it's just a matter of when. Don't dredge up memories to terrorize me with anymore."

Luka forced himself to wake up and as the dream and Magda faded away he opened his eyes to a much better sight. Delilah was curled up against his chest sound asleep. Kissing her forehead Luka slowly sat up to not disturb her sleep and looked at the bedside clock. It was three a.m., Magda had kept him asleep for a long time. Another sorry attempt on her part to mess with him.

With a sigh he slid out of bed and stood looking over Delilah's form. Magda had no idea what he had found in Nachton and he had no plans to tell her.

( ooc : Luka out)