Back to Business (attn: Eiryk)

Alex had been at his store for most of the day. The insurance adjuster had been by early in the morning to assess the damages to the store and Alex had compiled a reasonable list of losses. When she had left to deliver the information to the firm, Alex had begun to straighten out what he could.

With the water off and the shop dry (miraculously so, thanks to his friends' help) Alex had felt safe in turning the electricity back on. He made sure the answering machine message was still set up properly so his clients would understand he was stalled but not closed.

Toward evening the fax had come in and Alex sat staring at it now. What was the point of buying insurance if they weren't going to cover all of your losses? He added everything up in his head. All the assumed repairs would be just over twenty thousand. Count Alex's losses, which were about five thousand - not a lot thankfully, given some of the other items in the shop that would have sucked to have to ditch. Then add in the repairs to the studio on the second floor as well as the carpet downstairs which didn't look replaceable at all... everything came to a total somewhere around thirty two thousand.

His insurance was going to pay for the repairs to the pipe but that was it. Alex had about eight thousand in savings. Plus after calling his students he did have to give some refunds. Not as many as he'd hoped thanks to a timely suggestion from Vivienne Sena that he hold classes outside in the park and preserve. It was a great idea. He'd had to move up the time slot to do it, since the sun went down a little early this time of year. But a lot of his students had stayed on, and several of those who couldn't make the earlier time had asked him to hold onto their money against future classes when the building was repaired.

But even with that, Alex was going to have to find some way to come up with an extra few thousand dollars. The trouble with owning your own business was you relied on that income for everything. And if the business went down, you were in a hole with no means to generate money to restore said business. Vicious cycle. He could handle it though. He could take out a loan or, loathe as he was to do it, max out his one credit card. He wasn't happy but he would get by.

The phone rang and he absently let it go, trusting the machine to pick it up. Eiryk was supposed to stop by once he was awake and that should be soon. Alex didn't think anything of it until he heard the familiar voice on the machine, and then he lunged for the phone, nearly knocking it off the cradle in his haste to pick it up.

"Hi. Hey. Dad."

"What does that message mean? Why is the store closed?"

And at that point, all hell broke loose. Alex tried to explain what had happened. His father assumed that anything wrong wit the building was a fault in Alexander's genetic makeup. Because no Aristos would be stupid enough to sink money into a building so badly in need of repair. And never mind that Alex had had it inspected beforehand; clearly this was his fault.

Alex made an attempt to soothe his father and that went badly wrong too. Apparently he was frittering away the money they'd selflessly put forth in his business venture, out of the goodness of their hearts, to keep him away from Maryland.

Wait, what?

Alex listened to his father's words. Really listened this time. And it became painfully, painfully obvious that the reason his parents had been so supportive of his moving to Nachton was because they were hoping he would stay there.

It didn't matter that Alex hadn't asked to stay with his parents while repairs were being done; they told him in no uncertain terms was he welcome home until he stopped being a social deviant.

It didn't matter that he'd been working his ass off to get ahead, ten and twelve hour days, no social life at all; apparently he was still the drug-abusing drunken loser he'd almost turned into a while back.

And, to make matters worse, somewhere during this tirade Eiryk had wandered in to find Alex standing there, trying to get a word in edge-wise. Alex was pretty sure things couldn't possibly get worse at this point.

Eiryk 13 years ago
Honestly he was trying to get up earlier, to be a bit more on Alex's schedule, but it was -hard-. Very hard. Besides, Alex still had daylight stuff he had to do and as much as he wanted to help, there were somethings he couldn't do and going out during the day to meet the adjuster was one of them. He also still had his own business to take care of, it was more a hobby than anything but he couldn't just leave it alone.

At any rate, he made his way down to Alex's store a bit later than he would have liked, but he was bringing coffee and hoped he'd be forgiven. The lights were on so Eiryk assumed that progress was being made, or at least things weren't a total loss.

He walked in and didn't immediately see any one. He did, however, hear voices. One was muffled, hostile, but muffled. Must be a phone call he reasoned. But who the hell would be that hostile over the phone. It was uncalled for. Eiryk gritted his teeth and stalked toward the register where the voices were coming from. And there was a dead sexy man, with a look somewhere between horror and pain on his face. Eiryk's instinct was to rip the phone out of Alex's hand and tell off the bastard on the other side.

Forcing himself to relax Eiryk lounged against the wall and closed his eyes, concentrating on what was being said on both sides of the call. Oh the old days of burning looting and pillaging were sounding really -really- good right now. But all he could do was wait for the call to finish.
Alex Aristos 13 years ago
When Eiryk appeared and settled in to wait, Alex forced his voice to remain level. There wasn't any reason for Eiryk to hear the other end of this phone call or know what it was all about. Surely if they kept seeing each other Alex would have to explain why it would be a cold day in hell before he took his partner to meet his family. The words on the other end of the line were for no one's ears but Alex's, though. He wasn't going to subject Eiryk to them.

"Yeah. I know dad." I know I'm worthless! Yup!

"Okay, well, it was great talking to you. I appreciate your concern." I would really really appreciate it if you'd hang the phone up now!

"Yeah of course I'll be in touch." Yes, I will let you know I'm still alive every few months.

"No, no... I don't think I'll be around for Thanksgiving." Relief on both sides, there. Nothing like being glared at by grandpa over the garlic mashed potatoes. Or being completely omitted from the family hand-holding prayer-circle. That was a nice one.

"Okay, talk to you soon. Bye."

He sighed in relief when he clicked the 'off' button on the phone. Smiling at Eiryk he said, "Parents. They're totally overprotective."

He walked the two steps over to where Eiryk stood and greeted him with a kiss, then wound his arms around Eiryk's neck and stood there for a second, reminding himself what was actually important. What was here and now was important, not the harmful bitter words of two disappointed people several hundred miles away.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Some days the whole vampire gig wasn't all it was cracked up to be. He could hear both sides of the conversation. And each time the... OK he could try and be nice... Alex's father spoke his teeth clenched harder together. It was going to crack them if this kept up.

It was heart breaking watching Alexander trying to pretend nothing was wrong. Bastard didn't deserve a son like this and Alex sure as hell didn't deserve to be treated like that. It was hard not to hear the relief in both voices when Alex 'declined' Thanksgiving. Eiryk added his own relief to that. He'd much rather have his lover here. You know, with people who might actually care about him.

It was a little hard to stay mad when Alex did that. Eiryk found himself holding the man in a very protective embrace and trying to keep his temper in check. As much as he wanted to hurt those 'parents' Eiryk didn't want to hurt Alexander in the process. But... well... he wasn't good at this sort of thing.

"Mmmmm not the word I'd use for it."Â?
Alex pulled back and looked at Eiryk curiously. He must have heard a little of the conversation, then. It would have been pretty hard to mistake his father's voice as anything but, well, hostile. He lifted his shoulders helplessly.

"Sorry," he apologized. "Sometimes I wonder... well, you know. You only get one family, right? They are who they are."

He wasn't going to make excuses for his folks. However, Alex had also long since stopped trying to make excuses for himself. He was who he was too, and he didn't think he was such a terrible person no matter what he did in the privacy of his own home and who he did it with.

Time for a change of subject though; there was a strange expression on Eiryk's face that Alex was a little worried about. Alex knew his family could be a little... well, a lot... of a turn-off. It was best to leave them out of any relationship.

"Sleep okay? You were really out this morning."

Alex had gotten up shortly after nine to come out here and start working, even though moving away from Eiryk had been tough to do. He couldn't help chuckling at the fact that Eiryk slept like the dead. He hardly twitched when Alexander had bent down to kiss him good-bye. It didn't bother Alex. He could recall Eiryk mentioning something about being a pretty heavy sleeper.

"And is that coffee?"
Eiryk 13 years ago
"That goes for them as well."Â?

Eiryk pointed out as gently as he could softly stroking Alex's cheek.

"You really shouldn't let him talk to you like that."Â?

Which was nicer than saying 'and who they are is apparently a bunch of assholes.' He very -very- much wanted to say that.

He smiled softly as Alex very transparently tried to change the subject. It was tempting to let him, but Eiryk wanted to know more. Like their address and if they had any deadly allergies. OK he'd find out if this was a one off thing first. If it was a one time deal he could forgive it. Mostly.

"Yes I did. You? And yes it is. I thought you might like some."Â?

There was a small jar of raw sugar hanging off the thermos as well. Eiryk didn't get it, it was amazing coffee, Kopi Luwak today, it didn't need any help. But it was how Alex took his coffee so Eiryk just went with it.

"I'm counting on you for the cups though. So... your family is concerned about the store?"Â?

Apparently more concerned about the store and money than about their son but Eiryk was trying to pretend he hadn't heard it all. Normal people didn't hear both sides of telephone conversations.
Alex dismissed the parts about his family and skipped straight on to Eiryk's question. "You know I did," he said with a smile. He slept better next to Eiryk then he ever had with anyone else, or even alone.

He had Styrofoam cups in his stock room so he grabbed a couple of those and was back out to the counter in a few seconds. Eiryk had brought sugar along; obviously he'd noted how Alex drank his coffee although he'd never asked. It was sweet of him, no pun intended.

And then just like that Eiryk was right back on Uncomfortable Topic of the Night #1. Like a pit bull with a bone. Alex's smile deserted him in a nano-second and he glanced warily at Eiryk while he stirred sugar into his coffee.

"Yes," he said shortly. "They helped me with the down payment, you know, so they like to know that everything's running well. Finding me closed for repairs so soon after opening was a shocker."

See, his folks weren't so bad. They'd been a huge help in getting him going. He frowned; he'd really thought they'd helped because they were being supportive for once. And that was true, he supposed, but their ulterior motive still hurt like salt on an open wound.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Actually once he was asleep, Eiryk didn't know much of anything. For all he knew the daytime sky turned green as soon as he passed out and elephants paraded through his bedroom. About the only thing Eiryk had a muzzy awareness of was Alex. And that was even vague.

Reluctantly he let Alex go to find cups and opened up the thermos while Alex settled that detail. Pouring the coffee was a handy reason not to make eye contact while his lover side stepped the topic at hand. His guess was this hurt more than Alex was willing to let on.

He only gave a non-committal 'mmmmm' while Alex butchered his coffee. He could let it go, he probably should. But for some reason he didn't want to leave well enough alone.

"Well it was a hell of a shock for you too I should think."Â?

Mmmmmmm... coffee. Eiryk let that distract him for a second or three while he tried to work out how to push further, without really pushing.

"So... they loaned you the money then? That was... ... decent."Â?

He stumbled over that word. The conversation he'd just heard was anything but decent.

"Do you... see them often?"Â?
Alex sucked coffee down the wrong pipe and coughed for a few seconds. "Loaned? No, actually. I told them I'd pay it back but it was a gift."

To themselves, apparently.
"I was a little hesitant to buy here because it would have left me with, well, nothing really. I was planning to stay in Maryland and work for another year or two. They," wanted me gone faster, "knew I'd worked hard so they," made sure that would happen, "helped me buy it."

Alex was actually fairly adept at glossing over the gory details of his nonexistent familial bonds. The next question was difficult though. Alex didn't have many close friends and normally when he gave his usual short answer the topic was left alone. Not so with Eiryk, who wanted to know, and kept asking.

"No. I don't. I told you before, they're not really very comfortable with how I've chosen to live." Lying wouldn't work in this case, and he didn't like lying to Eiryk anyway. Besides, Eiryk was hardly going to censure him for being gay. "They're pretty religious," he explained. "We don't agree on certain subjects. It's just easier for everyone if I stay away."
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk was reading between the lines. A lot. It was possible that he was fabricating things. But he rather suspected it money was more of a bribe than a gift. Something to get their son out of their hair. It was enough to put him off his coffee. Well, almost enough.

He stuck to his non-committal 'mmmmmmm' it seemed safer. As much as he wanted to fly off the handle and have 'words' with this family of his, Eiryk couldn't. Not without letting Alexander know he'd heard much more than he should have, could have.

"It is one thing not to be comfortable with things it is quite another to be hostile... to ... to hurt you."Â?

That was what upset Eiryk the most of all. That they would be deliberately hurtful... well he could fix that. He wondered how Alex felt about axes.
"Ah." Alex sipped at his coffee pensively, not really confident he would be able to duck out of this conversation with any grace.

"I'm their only son," he pointed out gently. "Only child, even. They didn't plan on 'gay yoga instructor.' They were hoping that by now I'd be married, successful, and helping to repopulate north America with a slew of Greek babies." He could barely say it without shuddering. Alex liked kids well enough but he didn't have the desire to have any of his own.

How was he supposed to explain the rest of it? Was it really necessary?
"they don't mean to say what they say," he said finally. "If they knew what it sounded like from my end, maybe it would change things. But why sink to that level? I'm sorry I disappointed them but I think I turned out all right."

Eiryk didn't know the half of it. The accusations, the name-calling and finger-pointing. Whose fault it was that the boy was a homo. Whose fault it was that he spent half an hour in he bathroom fixing his hair instead of grunting and heading off to roll around in the mud or whatever.

Some things, maybe Eiryk didn't need to know. He seemed charmingly naive on the topic and Alex didn't see a reason to tell him otherwise.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Alex seemed determined to protect his family. Which irritated Eiryk. He wasn't irritated with Alex, far from it. He was irritated with the family that shouldn't be protected. Perhaps it was cruel of him but Eiryk would think of no better poetic justice than for Alex to turn his back on them.

"And that is an excuse?"Â?

But he let Alexander end the subject rather than continue to push. He'd just continue to gather information. Maybe Alex would feel better, more comfortable talking about it later. He might be more open after a bottle of mead.

He picked up one of Alex's hands and kissed it softly.

"I think you turned out more than OK."Â?

Turning his attention back to the coffee for a second he decided a change of topic might be in order.

"Now... what did the insurance people say? What's the damage?"Â?
Alex smiled at Eiryk, glad that he seemed to be letting the topic die. That was good. Alex was far from his family now and intended to remain so. It didn't need to be Eiryk's problem too.

"You're a little biased, possibly," he said, finally allowing himself a small smile as the family thing went by the wayside.

And then Eiryk had to put his foot right into Uncomfortable Topic of the Night #2. This one, however, he was totally fine with after the strain of covering for his deadbeat family, oddly enough.

"They're going to cover some of it," he said truthfully. "Not all of it, but enough. Thanks to the loan from my folks I had more left over after I bought this place than I'd planned, so I can cover the rest."

So, it wasn't really a lie, right? A small loan or a maxed credit card - either way he'd have it taken care of. Alexander wasn't so concerned about the money. He'd find a way to get it taken care of and then he'd just work all the harder to make it up. It was tough to think about, after all of his hard work, finally getting ahead, to be plopped back to square one but he could do it. When it came to solving problems with hard work and effort Alex could be a complete work horse.

"It's a setback, and it'll be tight for a little while," he said, "but it's not like I can't handle that." He squeezed Eiryk's hand reassuringly. "No worries. It'll be fine."

He was a lucky bastard, really, to have Eiryk in his corner. It was nice to know someone was concerned. It felt good. More than one someone, actually. Aishe had asked about the store when he'd called her about her lessons, and she had offered to come help again any time he needed it. Alex had gotten the feeling she meant it too. He'd already arranged to get something small to thank her and her boyfriend for their help.

"So... about Thanksgiving," he hedged a little. He wanted to ask Eiryk but he knew what the answer would be. Nonetheless, onward, to Uncomfortable Topic of the Night #3!

"Usually I go hiking," he said, having hoped to avoid the touchy topic. He wasn't welcome at Thanksgiving dinner... well, he was, but he'd have to put up with glares and lectures and prayers that he wake up straight. "I thought... well, the weather's supposed to be pretty nice. But I know. You're a die hard night owl."

He looked at Eiryk hopefully. Maybe just this once?
"I thought I'd go out to the Park since it's probably going to be pretty empty. You're welcome to come along."
Eiryk 13 years ago
"If I was any more neutral I'd be Switzerland."Â?

Eiryk lied through his teeth.

He frowned a bit at Alex's pronouncement that he'd be fine. Honestly he hadn't expected insurance to cover it all. You had to have a policy and a half for that. And really who had those? He could afford them and didn't bother. After all insurance was just a gamble, and how often did something like this happen? Not very.

"Let me at least get you some names. Contractors, plumbers whatever. They do good work and it will save you from having to look for people."Â?

And he could pull some strings in the background and get Alex bumped to the head of the line and use the promise of future work to maybe get the prices down a bit. All without Alex knowing. Eiryk knew that would be the only way to help, Alexander wouldn't let him loan him money or just take care of things. So he had to be sneaky. Not that Eiryk was above that.

Huh, Thanksgiving. He didn't often think about that holiday, it was an American thing and he'd spent most of his life without it. Inwardly Eiryk cringed. Oh he didn't want to have this conversation. But he supposed the had to. He set his coffee down, an indication of just how serious he was.

"You know I'd love to... but... well.. Alex it isn't that I don't want to it sounds like fun and it should be a beautiful day this time of year but it isn't that I'm just a night owl. I can't go out during the day. I know that sounds flighty and a bit stupid but it is true."Â?
Alex brightened at Eiryk's suggestion. "Oh. I didn't think of that. You must know a lot of decent folks. I'd really appreciate the help," he said. That was a relief. He was still new enough to Nachton that he had no idea who was reliable and who wasn't. Eiryk's profession had to put him in constant contact with the types of people Alex desperately needed help from right now. He sure didn't mind a referral or three.

Eiryk's response to Thanksgiving was as he had expected. There was a moment of awkward silence and Alex leaped in to fill it with a response.
"It's okay." He was dying to ask 'why' but that was a question Eiryk refused to answer and Alex wasn't going to push, not a bit, not after resolving to accept Eiryk's strange habit. Not after Eiryk was helping him so much, either. He put his hand on Eiryk's cheek briefly before removing it. He wouldn't ask again. "It's all right. As long as it's not me. It's fine."

"I thought you might, you know, you said you have a lot of family." Alex toyed with the flimsy edge of his cup, bending it out of shape. "Will you be spending the holiday with them? Later, that is?"

Eiryk couldn't have expected Alex to be with him over the holiday; living with him, even. As it was Alex didn't expect or need an invitation to anything Eiryk was planning. It would be good to know how long he should stay out though.

"I can spend the night at my place," he offered. He didn't want to be in the way at all. Eiryk had said his family had enough oddities that he didn't even register - he had never said they were entirely supportive. If he was planning for company it could be awkward for his gay boyfriend to be there too.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"I'll give you a list when we get home. I just need to dig around in my address book. Or we can stop by the studio on our way home."Â?

He did like the way the way the 'we' and 'our' sounded. It made him feel all warm and fuzzy. He was trying not to think about Alexander moving back here once things were fixed. Maybe he could bribe people to take forever. Except that would just put Alex deeper and deeper in debt. Damned it.

Eiryk was dumbfounded by that response. His first instinct was to smack Alex. But he held back. This was just a misunderstanding.

"Hells bells! No. Most of us don't do the Thanksgiving thing. Even if we did you'd be invited!"Â?

That didn't come out quite like he'd meant it too. But the point was he wasn't chasing Alex away in favor of other people or trying to hide him. It was just a non-day for him. He closed the studio and gave his employees Thursday and Friday off but that was all he did.

"You are not spending the night here until everything is perfect. You'll stay with me and we'll improvise. Maybe we can dig up some folks and have some kind of not really Thanksgiving thing. Or we can just spend it alone together."Â?

But you are not running away or hiding or otherwise disappearing was the rest of that sentence. But Eiryk didn't say that.
On our way home. Huh. It had a nice sound to it. Alex looked away and tried not to give away what he was thinking. He'd just quietly replay that in his head for the evening.

Eiryk's vehement response to Thanksgiving make Alexander jump a bit. He hadn't expected that.
"Okay, okay." He placated Eiryk quickly before he knocked something over... what, Alex wasn't sure - everything was pretty safely stowed upstairs but still. He'd spent enough time around Eiryk to realize that things just gravitated toward him and waited to be knocked over or tripped on. In fact, he kept an eye on both coffee cups. Subtly. Just in case.

"We could do something later in the evening. When I get back." He was still going for a good long walk. He didn't like to think about the holidays; physical activity helped him avoid that.

"I don't know many people in Nachton," he said. "Not really well enough. but if you have some friends, it might be nice. I've always wanted to try cooking a holiday dinner."

His smile returned, warming his eyes. Cooking was something men simply didn't do in his family. It hadn't been encouraged. Alex enjoyed the hell out of it now. Spending a real holiday with Eiryk would be a lot of fun.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Now that is a plan I can live with."Â?

Eiryk said cheerfully. He wouldn't ask Alexander to change his habits, but he wanted him to know he was welcome and included in his life. Even if his life (unlife) didn't include celebrating Thanksgiving.

Cooking? Oh hell, there was that eating thing again. Eiryk hoped he could persuade his friends to eat. Pak would undoubtedly be a hold out. Well the suborn Siamese wench could just suck it up and play along. It was only one night. Kem and Aishe would be a must as well.

"What you don't trust my cooking?"Â?

He teased rather than considering the guest list and the fact that a majority of his friends were vampires. Although, it might be good to establish Alex as 'belonging' to him. Maybe this was a better idea than he'd thought at first.

God he loved that smile and those eyes. OK so he was a total sap when it came to Alex. Eiryk immediately began making plans for Christmas. If it got him that smile he'd celebrate Hanukkah and Kwanza too.
"Really?" That response made Alex's night. He hated feeling needy but it was really good to have Eiryk actually agree to something instead of being turned down all the time. He had to trust that there was just some - issue - with going out during the day. What it was wasn't important. Eiryk did want to spend time together and Alex was totally getting the hang of it.

"I totally trust your cooking," Alex lied. "I just might commandeer the oven setting myself."

He was on his feet now, already planning a menu. He ticked things off on his fingers as he walked back and forth across the store floor.
"We can do a turkey, or we can try the game hens again if you want. I'm pretty sure we can stuff them. And squash... there's supposed to be squash. And potatoes. I'm not sure why, I don't think pilgrims ate potatoes, but whatever. And cranberry something or other."

In his enthusiasm he forgot about watching the coffee. Once he remembered he returned to the counter but his eyes continued to sparkle. "You're sure you didn't have any plans already?"

But Eiryk wouldn't lie... he wouldn't right? Nah. Alex didn't bounce. He never bounced. That kind of thing was nagged out of him by about age eight. But he did plant a good, solid kiss on Eiryk's coffee-flavored lips. "This will be fun."
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Really."Â?

Eiryk agreed, trying hard not to smile too broadly or to laugh. He was thoroughly tickled that Alex seemed enthusiastic about this idea.

Oh he didn't believe that for a second. But then again, he didn't trust his cooking either. Stupid cookbooks always left out some little detail, like not making out while things were in the oven. Or making sure the oven was set to the right temperature.

He was rather mesmerized by Alex's sudden enthusiasm Eiryk just grinned as he watched him pace. He couldn't add to the menu ideas or even disagree. It wasn't something he'd ever really considered. But so far it sounded like what he'd heard went into these things.

"We can do all of that or just some of it. You decide and then tell me how I can help. I'd suggest I bring the wine."Â?

His eyes danced. Alex would know only too well Eiryk would do what ever he needed but in this situation Eiryk wasn't above playing to his strengths.

"I'm positive. Every one gets the day off and I start my Christmas cards and that's about it."Â?

Not that he sent them out, no he started working on the design. Once that was finalized it took about two weeks to actually finish them before he sent them out. Eiryk didn't send many cards but the few he did were all his own work, calligraphy, illumination, the works.

He reminded himself not to giggle as Alexander half bounced around apparently very enthusiastic about this idea. He growled as Alex escaped after just one kiss.

"It would be more fun if you'd stay in one place long enough for me to take advantage of you."Â?

Some days subtlety was lost on Eiryk. Today was one of those days.
Alex's head swiveled back toward Eiryk the moment he heard that rattling tone of voice, the 'turned on' one. Like a magnet he was back over to Eiryk, arms around his waist, pulling him close for a far, far better effort at a good kiss than he'd just given.

"Would be more fun in your bed," he suggested plainly.

There was nothing left to do here really. And Eiryk was busy being all hot. And blond. And irresistible. Alex's bed was closer, but no water meant no cleanup. Which could get, well, messy.

"I just want to stop and grab a few things," Alex said, "since it looks like, uh, you know. I might be putting my hotel plans on hold. Indefinitely. If that's still what you want."

Alex was just fine living out of a duffel bag in a corner of Eiryk's bedroom... but he needed to make sure beforehand that that was actually still what Eiryk wanted. He doubted he'd have changed his mind but surely Eiryk hadn't counted on Alex making impromptu holiday plans.