A ferret in a skirt

He was last on her list.

Viv walked into the dining hall and found the Pipers seated together, eating their dinner: Charlie, Red, Marko, Domingo, Dougie, Lewis, and finally Marthinus. LT spent his evenings with Carol, Hammer dined with his son, the Alpha, and his fiancee, the Alpha's mother, Lily, and of course Brig spent his nights with Viv.

She was surprised that Marthinus was spending less and less time away from the Pack, choosing to stay with the Pipers and leaving his vampire controlled life behind. Viv supposed it was the fact that it was his choice. She couldn't imagine having any type of freedom in a world dictated by Ellis Duban and Simon Huntington. Having spoken to all the Pipers, Marthinus gathered his dinner plates when they saw Vivienne approaching. All the men rose politely as Viv stepped up to the table and held her ipad against her chest.

"I'm not interrupting, am I?"

"No ma'am," they said in chorus, as per the norm. They glanced at Marthinus as he stepped away with his plates.

"My turn, is it?" Smiling, he circled around and approached Vivienne, politely holding his arm out. Viv took it with a girlish blush. "Gentlemen. Good evening then."

The Pipers nodded and said good night, returning to their dinners and conversation. Viv watched as Charlie made it a point not to make eye contact with her. He had stopped speaking to her altogether, just a polite hello when with the other Pipers, but he was never alone with her again. Taking Marthinus' arm, Viv resisted the urge to look back as they walked away.

Depositing his trays, Marthinus guided them out to the back porch of the Den. The weather was definitely colder with the sun sleeping deeply and the moon hung high in the sky. They walked out to the edge of the porch, choosing an empty table well away from any others. Viv pulled her cream colored cashmere wrap which set her savings back a ridiculous amount, tightly around her arms as Marthinus pulled her chair out for her. Worn blue jeans, white Ked sneakers and a buttoned striped blouse with three quarter sleeves completed the outfit.

Marthinus had not only exquisite taste but could bank roll a rather fashionable wardrobe. He may be a Piper, blending in easily with the relaxed, rambunctious group, but Marthinus dressed his age; a starched, white button up with dark blue slacks and dress shoes to match. His physique had changed dramatically since becoming a werewolf at such an old age - mid fifties, although his body only showed a third of that. A soft crown of hair dusted his otherwise bald head, but he made it look effortless and handsome. Marthinus wore no jewelry, save for the thin silver plated rings he carried on his person at all times. That was the first thing Viv asked him about.

"The rings," she said with a disarming smile, nodding toward the silver burns on his middle fingers.

Marthinus sat down in the chair and leaned back, crossing his legs and presenting an air of authority and gentle respect. Fixing the cuff of his shirt, he graced her with an enigmatic smile. "The rings are a useful reminder."

"It must be hard, the blood memory turning you against your own grandfather?"

Marthinus T. Steyn 13 years ago
Vivienne directness was a relief. He had been anticipating talking with her since her arrival a little over two months earlier. She had shadowed the Pipers, exercised with them, and embraced everyone with respect and admiration. Her secret had been completely unexpected, but it was her history with the Pipers that he found intriguing. Marthinus considered her question, shrugging a shoulder nonchalantly.

"It was unexpected," he said recalling that day, not too long after Hammer had gifted him. "At the time I wondered why Hammer hadn't said anything."

Viv laughed at that. "Well, yeah. Hammer's all about surprises. But my talk with Simon the other day was enlightening. Those vampires...chocked full of interesting abilities."

Marthinus nodded. He had listened from the Situation Room and was nervous the entire time. Simon without Ellis was like a margarita without the salt. "He really doesn't have dream walking."

"So he said." Viv's voice trailed off in thought. "Any thoughts on who might have perpetrated such a fantastical heist?"

Viv had a habit of blurring the lines between sarcasm and having a way with words. Marthinus wasn't sure she believed Simon. But then, who would believe one of the main characters of such a volatile memory? "The suggestion is plausible. The two older clans are capable of creating and maintaining a fierce visage."

"Oh I have my doubts about everything, Marthinus and anything is possible. Just curious as to what you think, is all."

Marthinus considered the strength of the ability that would be needed to implant and maintain a memory via dream walking. In not one but two people: a Jameson and a Hammerthynn. There were more vampires, very old ones, out in the world. Even if it was within the last thousand years, whoever it was had to be very, very old.

And someone who held a serious grudge.

"They don't keep a list of vampires and their abilities." Marthinus wavered on how much he wanted to tell her, trying to keep it at as very little as possible. "However, Tacharan does keep track of their vampires that come through Nachton and ultimately they leave...come back...it's a huge database, but it wouldn't be a Tacharan who did it."

"Why is that?"

"They're not old enough. It would have to be someone older than Ellis and Simon. So you're looking at probably two thousand plus years old. You won't be able to get any kind of information from the other two clans, but...Simon might. "
Vivienne Sena 13 years ago
Viv cracked her neck unhappily, tilting it left and then right. "I suppose a ferret could use a skirt."

"Excuse me?"

Viv shook her head, annoyed by her predicament. "I really didn't want his help."

"Enemies make the strangest bed fellows."

"Not helping, Marthinus," Viv snorted.

The older man nodded, looking off at the sky. "I think that's Ellis rubbing off on him."

"What do you mean? He didn't always ooze charm like that?"

"Oh yes, he always has...he's just never been too aware of it. I suppose power does that to you."

Viv nodded slowly, trying to understand what Marthinus was implying. She had read the reports of the Halloween zombie incident and knew what Marthinus had told them about Simon trying to kill Ellis once before, but that apparently was before either pack had come into town.

"Could you tell me about that? Simon taking power?" Viv watched as Marthinus remained quiet, but struggled with what and how much he wanted to tell her. She pulled on her wrap and smiled. "It bothers you to talk about your previous life. You have a strange ability to remain loyal to both sides without getting in the middle. Think that'll last long?"

Marthinus flicked his eyes to her and at all once she saw the CEO of the largest medical testing company on the eastern seaboard - a true business man, shrewd and sharp with intelligence. Viv reeled in her sarcasm out of respect.

"I'm sorry, Marthinus. Sometimes my mouth forgets its manners. I'm just curious about the thin line you're walking and how you're managing to not to play favorites. No disrespect intended."
Marthinus felt the flicker of his old self like someone flipping a switch. The vampires taught him, oddly enough, professionalism with a liberal sprinkling of annihilation. The Pipers taught him humility and how to relax. But felt the old Marthinus grow rigid in his seat, readying himself to tear an opponent apart. He really should have been a lawyer.

"None taken, Vivienne." Marthinus forced himself to relax, propping his right elbow up on the wooden arm of the porch chair as he slouched into it. His chin rested on the heel of his hand and his long fingers touched his lips. He sighed into his hand slowly. "I think it's possible that I can hold onto my rather tenuous position in between both sides. There's no reason why we all can't come to sort of compromise."

Vivienne a deep breath and looked up in thought. "Well, the thousands of years of forced banishment from society by our vampire enforcers is a pretty good reason to stay bitter."

"That's what therapy is for," Marthinus said with a small grin.

"Even as a young adult I knew I'd end up in therapy," she said as a matter of fact.

Marthinus laughed at Vivienne's odd sense of humor. They both seemed out of place, he and Vivienne; two outsiders who just didn't belong, but were accepted, for the most part. Her origins were just as violent as his, soul crippling, yet they both managed to see the brighter side of hell. Vivienne was polite, friendly, and one of the guys, far from what he thought the only survivor of her family massacre, and then raised by the murderers, he thought Vivienne would be. He could see why Charlie liked her.

"Was there something else you wanted to ask me about?"

Vivienne shook her head, "Really, feel free to talk about anything you like. The Pipers, Hammer...your life now. Or even your life before."

"My life before, I'd need a couch. My life now? I'd need a film crew." Vivienne giggled happily at Marthinus, reaching across the table and giving him a soft push on his arm. "I sense you have questions for me, though."

"I might, but I honestly don't expect you to answer any of them, so I choose not to ask them out of respect."

Nodding, "Clever," Marthinus replied. "Why don't you ask your questions and I'll tell you what I feel comfortable with sharing."

"Ok," she said, crossing her legs and getting comfortable in her seat. Marthinus watched as Vivienne seemed to gather up all her thoughts in an attempt to seek answers to her undoubtedly endless questions. She flicked her brown eyes up at him.

"Simon's theory." Marthinus figured Vivienne would redirect the conversation back to his relative. Simon had that affect on people. "What abilities would be required to actually be able to pull that off?"
Marthinus looked down in deep thought for a few moments. Very little was known about Marthinus before his life as a werewolf - only what the press releases and articles wrote. His physical appearance had changed: his aged skin had recovered its elasticity, the age spots on his hands had faded considerably, and his new muscle tone had restructured his posture and presence completely. For almost sixty, the werewolf virus transformed his body to what it appeared in his thirties, certainly strength wise his younger self could not even compare. Marthinus looked up at Vivienne and she realized that he had Simon's eyes.

"Definitely dream walking and most definitely Command."

Viv shook her head. "Command? What's that?"

"It's the ability to take over someone's weak will."

"I seriously doubt there has ever been a weak willed Hammerthynn."

"Have they always been the way they are now?"

Viv considered the plausibility of what Marthinus was suggesting. Depending on when the memory had been implanted, it could very well be that the effects of aggressive breeding and genetics had not taken affect yet. But then, nightmares had a way with frightening even the strongest of men.

Marthinus added, "You've seen how Hammer reacted to the Commander turning his back on him. That emotion has to go somewhere if not out."

With that line of thinking, Viv figured, a Hammerthynn would have been more susceptible than a mortal man.

"You said also nightmares, right?"

"A nightmare would have an even greater affect on the person. Glamour within the dream, as well," Marthinus added and explained that ability as well.

"Can you use abilities within abilities?"

"I'd have to ask and see, but anything is possible."

Viv found herself annoyed. Where the werewolves had mostly physical enhancements, the vampires had an unreal arsenal of mental abilities. How could you fight something like that? "Is the older the vampire, the stronger the ability?"

"Younger vampires have less control over what they can do. Yes. There's also Suggestion. The age of the vampire and the weakness of the subject, the likelihood the suggestion will be accepted. Suggestion and Dream Walking with reinforced Command - that'll do it."

She didn't like the idea of someone fucking with her noodle. It was one thing to go into therapy, but it was another to lose your will altogether and that was exactly what Simon Huntington was suggesting.

"And Simon can't do anything of these things?"

Marthinus shook his head. "His abilities are indicative to the younger clan, but Ellis' maker created Tacharan, and she's only ever created two vampires. Simon maintained Tacharan's levels."

"What are Simon's abilities?"

Marthinus gave her a slow, sad smile.

"Ok ok," she said, dismissing the question. "So, as old as she and she's only made two?"

"She's never needed more than the two. Simon ran everything, and when he left, she created someone to take his place. But now that she is back with Simon...I have no idea where the second is, if he's still alive."

Simon was that special to her. To only have one for over a thousand years and to have him turn on her. According to what was known to the werewolves about the resident vampires, which granted was not much, Ellis' "death" was after an explosion near the Port of Nachton, a complex held by a man named Hillman who was presumed dead. The werewolves began entering Nachton at that point, assimilating themselves into the city. Ellis must have done something horrible to make a man who worshiped her try and kill her.

"So why did he turn on her?" she asked, confused.

"You can only take so much, for so long," Marthinus said sadly.

Viv leaned forward, her voice just above a whisper. "Then what does he want with us? Why help after all this time?"

Marthinus shrugged his shoulders slowly. "Simon and Ellis have only known about the werewolves for a couple of years. He honestly cannot recall when and where they might have met either family. It's a mystery and who doesn't love a mystery."

"Meh," Vivienne replied.

"There's something else though. I think," He started, pursing his lips, "I think something is about to happen."

Viv nodded absently, her eyes searching Marthinus'. "I think you're right."
Brig Jameson 13 years ago
"I am going to fucking kill her," he muttered as he and Hammer left the Situation Room. He took the metal stairs up, three at a time, with Hammer right on his heels. Together they entered the main floor of the Den and spread out, looking for Vivienne. Meeting back in the dining hall, they came across the reason for their disgruntled attitudes having their dinner.

Red, Marko, Lewis, and Dougie slumped down into their seats the second Brig stepped into the dining area. With Hammer on his right, they walked up to the table and glared at the men.

"I would love to hear what you guys have to say about yesterday."
Iov Hammerthynn 13 years ago
The Pipers began to babble all at once, just further annoying Hammer and Brig. Rolling his good eye, he turned to Lewis and pointed at him.

"Where is she?"

Lewis pointed behind him toward the back porch and slumped even further down into his seat. Hammer nudged Brig with his elbow and walked out to the porch in search of Vivienne.
The Pipers 13 years ago
"Shit," Red mumbled as he tried to lower his six foot three stature into his dining hall seat. Covering his eyes with his hand, he winced as the Commander and Beta walked directly to their table and began reading them the riot act.

"Sir, we..." Red started, cut off by the Commander. "But sir, we...." Cut off again, Red looked at Marko.

Marko sat up straight and tried to interrupt. "We couldn't let her go alone."

The Beta pointed at Lewis but they all flinched as he threw Viv under the bus and pointed toward the back porch. The Commander and Beta immediately stormed off after her.

"Shit, shit," Red muttered under his breath.

Red, Lewis, Dougie, Marko, and Marthinus (who stayed behind at the Situation Room) helped Vivienne by providing cover for her unsanctioned talk with Huntington. She had approached them and asked their help, off duty of course, in doing a little protective surveillance while she talked to Huntington. A little triad sharp shooting was all, Red thought to himself. Although they had neglected to mention what they were doing to any leadership; LT and Charlie included.

Red winced as he looked at the other guys. They had hoped it would have stayed secret squirrel, but now they had to face LT and Charlie, along with the Commander and Beta, first thing in the morning. Lewis leaned forward and bounced his head off the table.
Marthinus walked slowly along the path winding deeper into the Long Run, his hands behind his back as he chatted with Vivienne. She had many questions, and they were varied, but eventually his sad smile halted her growing interest in the vampire world.

"It's just that we know so little about them. I gotta say, they are interesting in that dangerously beautiful way. But I guess that's what the attraction is for them."

Marthinus rolled a shoulder and twisted his lips up into a soft grimace. "I don't miss living in the dark, though."

"Could you have waited for Simon to turn you before Hammer gifted you?"

He thought back to that painful day, returning to Nachton after his short absence, filled with bullet holes and covered with scotch tape. There was no reason not to believe that the hospital could have kept him stable until his grandfather got there and turned him; if Simon would have - Marthinus had his doubts about that. His life would be so different now.

"I don't know. Probably. There was always the Eternity."

"The vampire drug."

Marthinus had kept a vial of it on him with the fear of death always hanging over his head. The last time had to use it was Johannesburg upon meeting Hammer. Even now the wicked liquid rolled listlessly in a titanium injector located on his person at all times. Habit? Maybe, but he never knew when it might come in handy. Although the question of whether it would work on a werewolf was an issue, it was one he hoped he'd never have to find out.

"Yes, but its borrowed time more than anything. Its addictive properties are agonizing." Sighing, he reached out and plucked a leaf, bringing it up to his nose and inhaling deeply. If the color green had a smell, it would be this, he thought to himself. "It's a different world, another lifetime."

He dropped the leaf and slid his hands into his pockets as he turned toward Vivienne. "Am I the last person you need to talk to?"

"You are," she said simply.

Marthinus nodded. "Will you be leaving now?"

"Oh no, not anytime soon anyway. The families want me to stay and evaluate the replacement Pipers and be here for you guys as they're assimilated.

"Good, we'll be seeing more of you. I'm glad." Just then the wind gusted lazily toward them, carrying the Commander and Beta's scents just as they appeared down the path a bit. "Speaking of which, someone is looking for you, I believe."

Marthinus pulled his hands out of his pocket when he heard a very low, very soft 'blergh'.
Viv smiled at Marthinus. So polite and regal in everything he says and does. He wasn't tall like the other Pipers, so in her sneakers she wasn't craning her neck up to look at him, but oozed debonair and professionalism in even the casual way he dressed. That took skills.

Turning her head, she caught Brig's scent on the wind almost immediately, but it was his distinctly displeased glare that made her drone out a soft, "Blergh," she sighed. "This won't be good, I think. You might want to scram."

"No I'll stay," Marthinus said, standing next to her as Hammer and Brig closed the distance.

"Naw, you're just a pawn in my diabolical scheme to take over the world. I'll have no minions sacrificed before their time."

Viv looked at Marthinus who cracked a large smile. Reaching out he touched her shoulder, which Viv touched with an equally large grin, and he walked away, passing the Commander and Beta with nary a look. She saw Hammer glance at Marthinus with his evil eye.

"Oh this won't be good at all," she muttered.

Brig got to her first after Hammer lingered, looking back at Marthinus, no doubt trying not to bite his head off.

Viv looked up at Brig and raised her eyebrows. "I'll have Marthinus' interview for you tomorrow."

Brig laughed tersely, putting his hands on his hips, "Oh that's not why I'm here and you know it."

By now Hammer had reached them and he stood to the side of Viv, staring down at her silently. Neither man gave her more than a foot personal space.

"Ok first of all," she said putting her hands up, pushing back on their chests, "you guys are way too big to be standing this close."

"What were you thinking, Vivienne?" Hammer asked quietly. She winced inside. Quiet was bad.

"They were off duty."

Brig scratched the back of his head and looked at the ground. "Are you seriously using that as an excuse? Misappropriating the use of pack property and Pipers is fine if they're off duty?"

"Did you want me to go alone?"

"Why would you go at all?" Hammer asked; his voice now had a clear edge to it.

Viv narrowed her eyes and glared. She didn't like being questioned, much less the way they were trying to intimidate her while doing it.

She enunciated her words with an equally hard edge, "It's a plausible theory."

Brig slumped his shoulders and turned away, his fury letting loose.
"You should stay out of this, Vivienne."

Hammer was surprisingly calm, calmer than he was before he and Brig found her out on the Long Run. He didn't understand her fascination with the blood memory, but her inquisitiveness was irritating. However, her tenacity did impress him, and it was because of her dedication to understand that he didn't rip her head off and shit down her throat. Brig on the other hand was very angry, but then he seemed to be with anything concerning Vivienne's safety.

"You're putting yourself at considerable risk for a theory. I think I can safely say that Vigo would frown upon your actions yesterday."

Vivienne looked at Hammer and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "What do you think I've been doing for your father, Hammer...all these years?"

"I wouldn't presume to guess," he replied simply.

"I'm not just a pair of tits, Hammer," she glared at him, her eyes suddenly cold and intense. "I can safely say that Vigo would agree with me on that."
"Viv, you don't know what you're dealing with."

Brig interrupted Hammer and Viv's cryptic conversation. Other than being Vigo's "fixer", he honestly knew nothing else about her. The fact that she had remained under the radar all these years without his father or Hammer mentioning her implied a hundred possibilities of what she actually did for the Elder Hammerthynn. Admittedly Brig was more jealous than anything - imagining that silu being near Vivienne, but it was his job to see she remained safe.

Viv broke off her Mexican stand off with Hammer and flicked her cold, icy stare in his direction. If he didn't know any better, he'd honestly say he didn't know her. She didn't even blink.

"I'd say the same thing about you and Hammer. You haven't even attempted to consider the oddity of no one having an actual memory of what happened."

"The Pipers are not yours to do with - on or off duty. They're here for the Alpha and the pack. Not for unauthorized meetings with vampires, digging into the blood memory. You put yourself and my Pipers at risk. I'm sorry Vivienne, but this is not your fight. We've both given you plenty of leeway; please don't make us regret it."
Vigo had taught her many things over the course of her life with him; to fight, to survive, to win, but more importantly, when to let cumbersome emotions fall to the wayside, so not to let her anger interfere with the matter at hand. Brig was underestimating her, again. Looking at him now, she felt the flicker of loathing hovering just beneath her skin. Disgusted, she looked back at Hammer who was still and implacably indifferent.

"Are you ordering me to stop?" Her voice was quiet and complacent. "Because if you are, I'm going to have to apologize now."

"What does that mean," Brig asked, his expression annoyed.

"It means neither one of you have any authority over me, despite who...you...are," Viv looked back at Brig, pausing with each word. He straightened his posture, looking down at her with every bit of insult and silent outrage.

"I won't enlist the Pipers again, but I won't turn down their help. If you order them, they'll listen. But as far as I'm concerned? Take it up with Vigo when he gets here, but we're done now."
Hammer shook his head slowly. "It doesn't work that way, Vivienne. Brig is the Commander of the Pipers, he may not have direct authority over you, but I do. This is Kadzait and I'm your Beta. What I say...goes."

"But I'm not part of this pack, Hammer. You've made that perfectly clear. I'm Vyusher R'asa and I answer to Elder Hammerthynn. You really need to make up your mind before you try that."

"I'd say the same thing to you, Vivienne. You want in this pack, you decide, right now. Either you're a Vyusher R'asa - a human stain on our existence or you're a Kadzait and you do as you're told."

Viv's face colored with indignant rage. She had lived just beyond the reach of the Pack for far too long, doing what she wanted and hiding behind Vigo if questioned. If she planned on staying with the Pack, this was one thing she'd have to accept and a rule she would live by. He didn't expect her to answer and was not surprised when she pushed in between him and Brig, her eyes holding his stare until she turned her back on him. He snorted angrily, defiant till the end.
He wasn't sure what to make of what just happened, but Brig let his anger simmer down, albeit a little too late.

"Viv," he said as she walked off, but Hammer stopped him, putting a hand out.

"Let her go."

They were right, Brig knew this, but he struggled with his feelings for her, something he had never done with anyone before. But Hammer kept his hand on his arm, stopping him from going to her. Brig let out a long sigh, trying to figure out if the damage they had just done was irreparable.

"You're going to have to figure out what's more important, Brian."

Brig blinked and then looked at Hammer. "What?"

"You can't let her being your new shiny toy interfere with our jobs."

Brig's flinched back as if hit. Is that what he thought he was doing with Vivienne? Fucking her on the side? "What the hell does that mean? Shiny new toy?"

"Tell me you're not fucking her," Hammer said plainly.

Brig pulled his arm away from Hammer's grip and snapped at his cousin. "No I'm not 'fucking her'." He was genuinely disgusted with Hammer, assuming Viv was just another female for him to chase. Was he fucking her? That question had a two part answer, but he wasn't going to talk about it with Hammer now. Especially not now.

"Jesus, Hammer."

"All right, all right," Hammer said, shaking his head.

For a moment Brig considered telling Hammer everything. About how much he was in love with Vivienne, that they had been together since day one, and that it was her bed he slept in every night, and hopefully, every night till he died. Considered it, but promptly dismissed the idea. Hammer just wouldn't understand.

"What do you think she'll do?" he asked Hammer finally. "Think she'll listen?"

"No," Hammer said immediately. "I wouldn't."

"Yeah," Brig mumbled as they watched her disappear down the trail. "Neither would I."

((OOC Everyone out))