Warming Up (Attn: Eiryk)

Alex sat, feeling slightly fidgety, at a corner booth in the Thai restaurant Eiryk had given him directions to the previous night. Part of him was understandably nervous; Eiryk hadn't been entirely sober last night. What if he'd changed his mind? The other part of him was hopeful. He'd actually enjoyed talking to someone compatible. It had been a while since he'd been with anyone, and even then he'd never actually managed to sustain any kind of relationship beyond a couple of months. Alexander just never had the time.

He smoothed the front of his button-down shirt over his chest. He'd opted for sort of dress-casual; medium blue artfully worn jeans with a white shirt over them. His usual t-shirt fit snugly to his chest under the button-down shirt, only the dark blue collar showing a little. He didn't wear jewelry often but there was a leather thong around his neck with a small, weighty object hanging from it disappearing into his shirt.

He'd gotten here a few minutes early. Maybe he should have gone for fashionably late. Except he suspected he might have chickened out if he'd done that.

Eiryk 13 years ago
Not certain how the evening would progress Eiryk was dressed so he could go into work if he needed. Not that many folks needed color consults at midnight, but in this town anything went. He had on a charcoal gray suit, but with the jacket open and no tie (it was in the car) and a pale blue silk shirt. It brought out his eyes and he knew it.

He sauntered into the little restaurant eager to see if Alexander had taken him up on the invite. He didn't think that Alexander would stand him up, but you never knew. It had been impulsive as hell to ask him out and Eiryk was still a little shocked the man had accepted.

The matriarch of the little restaurant came out and started speaking to him in rapid Thai, laughing when he could only barley stammer out a few replies. She quickly showed him to the young man who was waiting for him. Eiryk was pleased he hadn't imagined Alexander. With an easy smile he slid into the booth, but resisted any affectionate little touches, no matter how much he wanted to.

"You came."Â?
Alex Aristos 13 years ago
Alex had been raised in a polite household; he stood when Eiryk arrived and sat when his date did. He was struck once again by the polish of his companion. He was dressed to stand out; not flamboyantly, but his clothing fit him as if it had been made specifically for him, and it just might have. He definitely knew how to look good, and he did it without the effect looking forced.

The owner seemed to know Eiryk, which made Alex wonder. Hopefully it was a good sign... and hopefully it didn't mean he brought every date here. He tilted his head at the blonde's statement of the obvious, not exactly sure how to respond.

"You seem surprised," he finally said. "I thought you might have changed your mind. After all, you could have made an offer you didn't intend to last night."

He lifted his shoulders. "I'm glad you didn't."
Eiryk 13 years ago
Mmmmm manners. Eiryk was becoming rather smitten rather fast. He was far too old for this, he was going to get a hold of himself pretty damned quick.

He chuckled, not at all offended. Yeah he'd been less than sober last night, but not so much so that he wasn't aware what he was doing. Still if Alex had thought that, it showed some courage that the young man had shown up here tonight. And he practically purred when Alex almost, mostly admitted to being glad to seeing him.

"I'd never do that."Â?

He made a thoughtful face and reconsidered.

"Well almost never and definitely not under the circumstances."Â?

It had been a while since he'd, sober or not, run across a man he wanted to take out or spend any time with at all.
Alex found himself admiring the way the dim lighting in the restaurant turned Eiryk's short blonde hair to a molten gold hue. It seemed unusual to him still that someone so clearly from a different slice of life than he was actually interested in learning more, but then that was what made things like this work. If it never went anywhere, Alex figured he still may as well make the best of it and enjoy it while it lasted.

"Well as promised," Alex said, sliding one of his cards across the table to Eiryk. he had considered waiting to see if they hit it off again tonight before doing so but Eiryk had asked and he'd said he would bring it along.

"So," he said when they were both settled into their booth and waiting for drinks, "you seem pretty familiar with Nachton. Have you been here long? Do you have family around?"

He was still nervous, and he didn't relish the idea of these same questions being turned upon him, which they inevitably must be, but Alex liked being in Eiryk's company. The open friendliness that he thought might be a result of drink last night didn't seem to be at all. It was attractive to Alex, who could never manage that kind of relaxed charm. His question wasn't contrived; he was curious about the man across the table from him.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk laughed at the offered card, but he was quite tickled that Alexander had brought it. He carefully picked it up, studied it for a second and slid it into his breast pocket. His days of roughing it were, while not long gone, they were selective. Eiryk didn't like to be caught out in the open and certainly didn't trust a tent of any sort to keep him from the sun.

"Excellent. I'm going to have to have a look or three at these yoga classes. You teach them yourself?"Â?

Of course, he couldn't stop himself from imagining how flexible Alexander might be and what uses that might be put to. He was smitten, not a saint and there was a clear difference.

The proprietor came out with hot tea and menus. Jasmine tea was Pak's preference and so it was Eiryk's when he came here, she hadn't even bothered asking. Perhaps he needed some new hang outs.

"Actually, yes I do have family here. I moved here a few years ago. I'd been on a rather extended visit to another branch of the family, totally land locked I might add, and when it was time to leave I remember my family here and I've always liked to be near the ocean so it seemed the ideal fit."Â?

The tea and menus came and he thanked her in his clumsy Thai, trying very hard to avoid a verbal face plant. He must have managed as he got a small nod of approval.

"It has worked out really well for me. But tell me how you got here. It seems an unlikely spot for an out door store."Â?
"Yes, I do," Alexander answered Eiryk. "Maybe in a few years I'll be able to hire someone to help out at the shop, but the classes will always be mine."

They were his peace and his relaxation and he enjoyed them too much to outsource to someone else.

He blew gently on the tea as he casually perused the menu. The scent of jasmine wafted up, welcome and warm.

"Family branch? You must come from a large family, then?"

Alexander raised his eyebrows at Eiryk. "Mine's apparently pretty big but most of them are in Greece and we've never met."

He was moderately impressed at Eiryk's ability to thank their hostess in her own language. It seemed a polite thing to do. Watching his companion's free and ready smile at the woman, Alexander felt his lips tipping up slightly at the man's apparent enthusiasm.

"It's not that odd a location," Alexander said at Eiryk's observation. "If anything it's perfect since there aren't many here already. There are plenty of good hikes and camping spots within an hour or so of Nachton so hopefully I'm filling a neglected niche in Nachton's family of merchants."

He lifted his shoulders, contemplating telling Eiryk the real reason he was here. He opted for a half-truth, suspecting the other man might understand. "My family hasn't always agreed with the way I choose to live my life," he phrased carefully, hoping Eiryk could read between the lines. "I needed to put some space between us. Nachton was close, and it was a good location for the store."
Eiryk 13 years ago
"So you have a passion for it then? You're lucky to have found something you enjoy that much."Â?

He watched with a little only barley disguised interest as Alexander blew on his tea. He really didn't want to stare.

"Well it isn't small."Â?

Eiryk agreed. Although Angus wasn't Evenhet, he was still his creator and therefore family.

"That could be exciting. Have you ever thought of going to see them."Â?

Greece was a fascinating place and Alexander would look good on a beach. Er... concentrate man! Eiryk dragged his thoughts back to the conversation at hand and was pleased he hadn't gotten to lost.

"Then maybe it is a very smart decisions. Lord knows the city attracts all kinds. I'm sure the classes will be a hit."Â?

That was tragic, but Eiryk followed what the young man was saying. He reached over to place a sympathetic and understanding hand on Alexander's. It sounded liked they were trying to put things back together though and he wished them the best of luck.

"Sometimes it can be hard to be yourself, it takes a certain amount of courage."Â?

It had taken, literally, centuries for Eiryk. Out of necessity he'd been forced to keep things discreet and covert. It was difficult and could take a lot out of you.
"Mmm," Alexander agreed. "It's not the most profitable way to get by but I'd rather enjoy what I do than make all the money in the world and hate myself every day." He couldn't speak truer words. His business degree had been obtained only because he knew he had things to learn if he wanted to run his own business. His true happiness was in his instruction and his hobbies. "You seem to enjoy your work too. It's good to know it's not a fluke. That everyone can find some kind of satisfaction if they work at it."

He felt a little envy at Eiryk's somewhat vague response about his family. Alexander had always wondered what having a larger family must feel like. He had a few aunt and uncles here in the states and his maternal grandparents lived here as well but everyone else was over in Greece. "I'd love to visit sometime," he said, "but you know. Time and money and all that. When I finally have a chance to vacation I'd like to make that my first stop. For the meantime I have an entire country left unexplored here."

He'd made a decent start on that as well; road trips were easy enough to go on when one owned access to everyone he needed. All Alex had to do was rent a car and he could vacation wherever he liked, and he had.

He nodded at Eiryk's reassurance.
"Actually the classes have proven more popular than I thought they would. I'm not sure why; there are other places in town to go already. I'm not going to complain though."

When the other man's hand came down lightly on his, Alex glanced at it. Well-manicured nails, carefully trimmed, were set off by skin that was a fair gold color. Eiryk couldn't possibly be too much of a night owl if he managed to get some color somewhere. He didn't look soft either, as if he'd spent too much time at a desk. He looked fit. Alex wondered how he'd feel about hiking. He turned his hand and grasped Eiryk's briefly before letting go.

"Thanks," was all he said. He didn't know if he was courageous, or something else. Being himself wasn't hard. Dealing with people who thought it was their right to tell him how to be was the part he tried to avoid. Alex knew who he was.

"Your family, then, they must be... supportive," he said. Eiryk's voice held none of the reservation Alex's did when talking about family. He had said he came from family to be with family as well. That spoke volumes.

"And are they all from here?" Eiryk's features were difficult to place; obviously of European descent with that vibrant hair and those blue eyes but that could be from almost anywhere.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"It isn't work if it is play."Â?

Eiryk chirped happily. He knew not everyone was as lucky, but he also had the advantage of time and was able to just walk away when it stopped being fun. So, his ability to enjoy his work was really not that special or remarkable. But he didn't say anything.

He was encouraged that Alexander seemed to like to travel. Almost immediately, Eiryk started making a list of places he could take Alexander. Some how he managed not to start down that road. It did mean gulping down some very hot tea and the server showing up for orders. But he managed.

Too distracted by Alexander to really think, besides he hadn't eaten in weeks it wasn't something he did often, he absently ordered one of Pak's favorites. He then waited for Alexander to order before continuing the conversation.

"What time are your classes?"Â?

Eiryk suspected the young man might be filling a gap he wasn't even aware of.

The fact that he didn't pull his hand away immediately thrilled Eiryk. Again, there was that feeling of being rewarded and the excitement at seeing Alexander open up just a little bit. He couldn't help it, he squeezed Alexander's hand just a bit as he pulled it away.

Supportive? He laughed again, a rich full sound. That really was funny.

"You could say that but the truth is there are enough quirks in the family that my preferences don't even make the radar most days. But they are supportive."Â?

He'd settled in to Nachton so nicely, and it really had been nice having so many others from the clan about that Eiryk was surprised he'd not come before.

"Oh here there and everywhere."Â?

Eiryk said both vaguely and somewhat dismissively. It would be hard to explain why some of his 'relatives' didn't look a thing like him.
Once again Alexander was impressed by Eiryk's upbeat attitude. Nothing really seemed to bother him. Not that they'd touched on so far anyway, or he was a really good actor. Still it was hard to think that someone could find so many positives in life. Alex tried to think that way but he knew he wasn't successful.

They were briefly interrupted by the server again. Alex ordered some kind of spicy vegetarian curry. He ate meat, but not all that often. Something lighter was better this time of the evening, anyway.

"Classes are all at night," he answered Eiryk. "The store is open until six or seven and then three or four days a week I instruct at seven or eight. Gives me an hour to close the books and get things ready. Then about two hours of teaching. I usually run both yoga and tai chi in one night since I rent that space out to a karate instructor on the other nights."

He had some long days. He opened the store at nine and usually didn't get any free time again until nine or ten that evening. Saturdays he kept shorter hours, from ten to five, and had no classes. Sunday was the only day he could really call his own. He briefly outlined his schedule to Eiryk, somewhere in the back of his head thinking it might be good for the other man to know.

Eiryk's description of his family was almost lost in the exuberance of his laugh. Alexander missed most of what Eiryk had said following that display but he caught up quickly enough to offer a rueful smile and envious shake of his head. His family was so straight-laced it was a wonder they could sit down.

"Ah. A mutt," he said with a smile. "So, you get the best of everything."

He didn't consider it much of an exaggeration, with those handsome features, the bright gold hair, the sinful blue eyes and that laugh, so rich and easy it had very nearly made him shiver.

Alex was tempted to take Eiryk up on what he was so clearly offering, but they had only just met. Maybe he was old-fashioned, but Alexander didn't move that fast.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Vegetarian?"Â?

He asked curious. Not that it mattered really. But Eiryk wondered what Alexander might think of his diet. That could be a touchy subject, but it was something for the future.

"Good lord that is a full load! How did you squirm out from under it to meet me?"Â?

Maybe that was a bit suggestive, but damned it, this was a date and he was going to flirt. If he remembered right, he'd gotten a very becoming blush last night. Maybe he could do it again tonight. It was fun.

But it did make him think that perhaps Alexander might be capitalizing on some vampiric clients. That thought made Eiryk bristle. He wouldn't appreciate someone just snacking on his date. Not that he had any claim to Alexander, and not that the boy wasn't very snackable, but still! Propriety! He might have to start taking a class or three just to ensure any potential rivals were chased off.

He also made a note about Sundays. Yes... going out again Saturday night would be good. But something quiet, Alexander hadn't seemed at home in the club. Eiryk was going to have to figure out something.

"Oh I don't know about that. Some days I think I got the worst of it I just make the best of what I got."Â?

He had to back off a bit as more tea came. Maybe they could just skip the food. They could go back to the towers, the backseat of his car, the alley was nice too.

Dirty thoughts forefront in his mind instead of pouring more tea, Eiryk just knocked it over. Fortunately, from years of habit, his reflexes were good and he managed to throw a cloth napkin over things before either he or Alexander got all wet.

"Did you want some more tea?"Â?
"Oh, no," Alex said. "I just don't eat a lot of meat."

The connotations of what he said percolated through and he felt his face grow red again. He was going to have to learn to watch his mouth around Eiryk. In more ways than one.

He gladly switched topics and lifted his shoulders. "It's okay," he said. "If that's what has to happen to get ahead a little I'm all right with it. I don't have classes tonight. Tomorrow, though. And the night after."

He thought about suggesting Eiryk show up, but he didn't want to come off as the overenthusiastic type. Smothering your romantic interest before you even had a second date wasn't a good thing. And he was pretty sure he wanted a second date.

"I think you're doing pretty well with what you've got," Alexander said with an encouraging, slightly sly, smile. And then Eiryk knocked over the teapot.

They were both quick to blot up the liquid before anyone drowned. Alex had to wonder if Eiryk's apparently chronic fumble-disease was problematic in his line of work. Good thing he was charming and charismatic.

At his date's offer, Alex barked a short laugh.
"I'm fine, I'll just suck it out of my napkin."
Eiryk 13 years ago
He nodded when Alexander explained about the meat. Well maybe he'd be more understanding when it came to Eiryk's diet then. Assuming it got that far. Even when in a relationship he didn't often tell people what he was. It was easy enough to fool them and most over looked the obvious. After all vampires didn't exist.

Two points! He got the blush. It was rather more than slightly adorable. This was going to get to be a game if he wasn't careful.

He waited for the invitation to a class, when it didn't come he took that as another sign Alexander wanted to go slow. He could respect that, it might drive him crazy but he could respect that. At least he was getting enough signals that Alexander was interested, so he wouldn't give up.

Between the teapot and that dead sexy little smile of Alexander's what Eiryk was going to say flew right out of his head. He did his best to make as much contact with the other man as possible as the mopped up the tea.

Oh lord, did he just say that? His heart might just start beating if Alexander kept playing games like that.

"If you keep being that distracting I'll knock over every glass in the whole restaurant."Â?
Alexander felt that same tickle of amusement when it became apparent he'd managed to derail Eiryk's train of thought. It was nice to feel appreciated. Not that he hadn't felt appreciated already but, well, as he'd noted before, he was a little rusty.

He glanced away, coughing softly, and said,
"I, uh, don't think you'll need to get that drastic."

Definitely forward for him. But Eiryk was entertaining, engaging, and magnetic. Alex felt a little overwhelmed by him but he was hardly going to say no to spending time. Maybe he was just the flavor of the week but at least it was more than he'd gotten in years. He'd enjoy it while it lasted, and when Eiryk got bored and moved on he'd have some fond memories.

Their food arrived along with a second pot of tea which Alex snagged after a quick look at Eiryk first. He poured for both of them and set the container aside.

"Might be better if it stays over there," he suggested mildly.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"I'd rather it not come to that."Â?

Eiryk agreed mildly with a soft yet sheepish smile.

"I would like to come back here. But you would be worth the trouble."Â?

He would too. Eiryk was convinced of that. In the space of just two meetings Alexander had already demonstrated he was kind, considerate, and he had an excellent sense of humor. Not to mention the fact that the was built and had the most amazing eyes. So sweet and a beautiful rich brown.

Dear god, he was infatuated. Eiryk wasn't exactly a shrinking violet, but he wasn't easy either. He was choosey about who he involved himself with, who he let himself become smitten with and yet he'd be OK moving things along faster with this man.

As the food was placed in front of them and that tiny moment of chaos covered any outward signs of his thoughts he gave a lopsided grin when Alexander guarded the teapot. Not that he blamed him.

"What you don't trust me? I'm shocked."Â?

It would have been more convincing if he hadn't dropped a chopstick.
Eiryk's frank acknowledgment of his most obvious foible was endearing. Alex couldn't help but laugh at his reaction.

"I'd hate to let you down."

No one should be able to flirt that well. At least Alexander was able to regroup as dinner arrived and they began to eat.

"Not a lack of trust," he said regarding the teapot. "More like running interference. You did want to come back didn't you?"

He didn't blink at Eiryk's fumbled chopstick but his smile found its way back again and he couldn't help adding,
"You weren't the first pick for the football team were you."

Eiryk had plenty of other redeeming qualities about him. The fact that he seemed to be accident prone was actually one of the things that kept Alexander from being completely engulfed by him. If he hadn't had that little issue, Eiryk might have seemed too perfect, too unreal. No one had it all... the looks, the clothes, the dream job, the money. Eiryk seemed to, until he tried to do anything requiring coordination, apparently. it was good to know the man was just as human as everyone else.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"I don't think you let many people down."Â?

Eiryk said quit sincerely. However, it was said while his head was under the table as he tried to retrieve that chopstick. He did find it, made a sound of triumph and promptly hit his head on the table as he sat back up.

This was -not- smooth. He hoped it didn't hurt his chances at a second date. Still he managed to sit up in time to catch that smile again and it was worth a bump on the head. He shook his head, slightly embarrassed, and set the chopsticks aside, a fork would work just was well. He did appreciate the help with the tea though, and he was sure the owners did too.

He laughed again at the idea he wasn't picked first. Actually, as a human Eiryk had more grace and coordination that he did currently. He'd never been one of those that moved with absolute certainty but it had gotten worse.

"Maybe not first.... I was sort of shoved down the field everyone else counted to thirty or so and then followed me. It was apparently, safer."Â?

Football, raid, storming the castle, it was all about the same. So, he didn't feel bad stretching the truth a hair or three there.
Alex felt himself shut down at Eiryk's words. If he only knew, with his supportive family that didn't seem to mind his preferences... that was uncharitable of him. Eiryk was lucky and Alex shouldn't begrudge him what he had. Alex had let everyone down though, his entire family. His parents could barely talk to him. His grandparents didn't want him over for dinner... people could be cruel.

He mustered up a tight smile and then winced as Eiryk nearly brained himself on the table.
"Jesus, are you okay?"

He seemed to be. At least he was pretty resilient, if he was going to be such a disaster waiting to happen. Alex made a mental note to himself... it seemed as if something could be knocked over, tripped over, dropped, tipped, toppled... the adjectives never ended... then Eiryk would find it. Alex would just have to be vigilant.

"Thanks for the warning," he said when Eiryk detailed his athletic experience. "I'll make sure to give it a full count."

Dinner was delicious, the company was excellent, and Alex was disappointed when they were finished. There was a brief squabble over the bill but Alex eventually relented and let Eiryk handle it when he turned the charm up to full power.

When they finally stood outside the restaurant, hesitating, Alex wondered if Eiryk really wanted to go home. They hadn't made plans for after dinner. Alex hesitated.

"It's only ten," he said. It wasn't late. He had an early morning tomorrow but Eiryk's company was enjoyable. Alex wasn't quite ready to end it here. If Eiryk wanted more, that was Alex's way of approving.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Dinner was over far -far- to quickly for Eiryk's taste. Alexander really was a charming dinner companion. The odd thing was that Eiryk wasn't quite considering biting him. Oh, he wanted to, in more ways than one, but he wouldn't. He wanted Alexander to know what was going on if they reached that point. That scared Eiryk a bit. He didn't tell people what he was, he just didn't. it had been years since he'd confided in a human. Any yet, here he was considering doing just that. For a man he'd known for just about twenty-four hours.

He wanted to bounce around when Alexander indicated he wasn't quite ready to call it a night. Oh he was -so- taking this boy out again, and again after that if he was lucky.

Hmmmmm... Eiryk as suddenly aware that his last fling, which was before his visit to Angus, was with another vampire and he just didn't have a clue what to do with a human. What he wanted was to get Alexander alone and.... Well that wouldn't match with Alexander's apparent preference for going slow.

"It is, isn't it. Let's see... coffee? Ice cream? A movie?"Â?

Good coffee Eiryk knew every spot in the city with -good- coffee and if they were open late. Ice cream, that was a little trickier but he could manage. The movie...

"If you say yes to the last one though we are sitting all the way at the back and we'd better go to something you've already seen."Â?

Because Eiryk planned on being otherwise occupied in a dark room with flickering lights regardless of whether they were in public or not.
It was hard to tell if Eiryk was joking or not that time. Alexander peered at him for a moment, considering - actually considering - that option. But he smiled, laughed softly, and said, "Coffee, then. For now."

It was surprising to feel so comfortable with Eiryk when they'd only just met, but Alex remained in possession of his good sense. And at any rate, if they sat in a theater for two hours they wouldn't be able to converse and Alex was enjoying the conversation far more than any body games. If they continued to see each other, the physical would happen in its time. There was no need to rush it.

They made their way slowly through the Nachton streets and Alex found himself focusing much less on Eiryk's attire and overall superiority as Alex saw it. No matter where he came from Eiryk was obviously enjoying himself and Alex stopped worrying about it quite so much and did the same. By the time their coffee had grown cold they were still talking. By the time midnight rolled around Alex realized he was going to be in big trouble if he didn't call it a night soon.

It was with reluctance that he took his leave. Eiryk had to go back to the Thai restaurant to get his car and Alex's home was in the opposite direction. So they said their goodbyes and good-nights. Exchanged numbers. Had another laugh or two.

This time it was Alex who turned and laid a hand on Eiryk's arm before the blonde could leave, leaning forward and dropping a soft kiss on his well-sculpted lips, thanking him for such a relaxing evening.

They hadn't made another date, but Alex didn't think it would be long before the phone rang.

((ooc: Alex out, pending response))