Ulterior Motives (attn: Amir)

Mara had had to see for herself. In the past several weeks she'd been traveling some, testing her theories, making new theories, gathering information. In essence, the things she did best. Precipitated by her last meeting with Amir on Nachton's pebble-studded beach her work had Shades' tacit approval and that mattered to Mara.

She was sure Amir was aware that she was a double agent, so to speak, but she was also sure her creator's faith in her was as strong as hers was in him. Amir had never restricted her. His trust in her was ultimate, and therefore he had never mentioned any work she did for their mutual ancestor. For her part, Mara had never had any conflict of interest and she did have Shades to thank for that. The old vampire knew much more than he let on. He had his own agendas, some of which he had informed Mara of and some of which she was still unaware. Either way she was happy to help him. She liked Shades. On his end, he seemed to regard her as a mix between a grandchild and an employee. He had employed her first; affection had come much later.

Shades was a mystery to many, Mara included, but she liked to think she had some idea of what drove him. He belonged to Anantya, but only by association at this point. He had kept himself separate from the Clan for so long he may as well be considered true neutral. He knew many vampires from different Clans and treated them all the same. He recognized no Clan names or boundaries and he made his tiny little part of Nachton a safe haven for anyone, human or vampire.

It was Shades who had silently supported her research this time around; Amir knew nothing of it. Now, home from her travels, she was ready to see her creator again, feeling strangely nervous and unsure about what goals Shades had in mind.

She sat quietly at one of the small tables that dotted the club, listening to the current soloist perform, a trumpeter whose edgy style was currently very popular with the jazz crowd. The dance floor was full and Mara intended to make use of it herself before the night was over.

Amir 13 years ago
Amir made the obligatory greeting to Shades as he entered the club. They didn't have lengthy philosophical conversations; not recently anyhow, although he could distinctly recall that they'd done so on more than one occasion in years past. Shades was, as always, cordial and friendly. Amir didn't think he could ever be any other way when running his club. Maybe in the wings he had a darker side but if he did Amir had rarely glimpsed it.

Mara sat at her usual table, one against the wall in a darker corner of the blue-lit smoky club. It was a little more private by virtue of being on the end, so it wasn't entirely surrounded by other tables. She stared pensively at the trumpeter on the low stage who was belting out a mournful blues solo. As her pale eyes gazed out over the crowd and found him her face brightened and her white teeth flashed against her golden skin as she smiled at him.

She stood as he approached and Amir sensed that that was a bad sign for him. Mara held her hand out and he knew he was pretty much hosed.

"You didn't tell me all you wanted was a dance partner tonight," he said flatly, his tone just shy of complaining. He knew she wouldn't buy it. They played this game all the time. He didn't even try to slither out of it either, a testament to Mara's powers of persuasion. Instead he just took her small hand and accompanied her to the dance floor which was thick with people already.

He held her properly; slow blues wasn't something for a strict ballroom hold but rather a tight racy embrace. Mara wouldn't put up with it if he did it wrong. As usual, Amir marveled at the fact that he actually knew the difference between the two styles and couldn't decide if that was a good thing or a bad thing.
Mara 13 years ago
Amir was hardly the tallest person in the club but Mara had no trouble picking him out the moment he entered. No one walked like Amir. She enjoyed meeting with him at the Manor, by themselves, or here at Shades'. When they were out in the public eye he easily slipped into his "normal human" facade and everything changed. Maybe to the usual human it wouldn't register but Mara was used to being observant and to her it was always odd seeing Amir's whole carriage change. It shouldn't have surprised her though; after all, he was the one who taught her how to hide in a crowd. How things as subtle as center of balance, stride, carriage, attitude, were better disguises than any clothing or makeup. It was still better to see him here though.

Amir walked like a predator. Oh, not in the sense hat he slunk around looking shifty and hungry. No, he just made efficient, fluid movements and never seemed out of frame even when ducking and weaving through the moving crowd on the dance floor. Mara had seen humans approach the same sort of grace when they were trained athletes but Amir did it naturally; or had at least been doing it for so long that it was natural now.

His first words made her smile. She didn't pay attention to the disinterest in his voice. She watched his body language, like usual, and it told her all she needed to know. Amir wasn't opposed to dancing with her. He just liked the routine they had fallen into. He offered no resistance when she just smiled and led the way to the dance floor.

As his arms settled around her and pulled her close Mara flushed and then immediately felt annoyed with herself for it. She glanced quickly to the side where Shades stood but he wasn't looking in their direction. Mara chastised herself inwardly. Relaxing, she pressed against Amir's lean body and fell into the undulating rhythm of the dance. It was a provocative dance; there was much more contact although that really depended on the comfort level of the dancers. In Mara's opinion, there was no sense in dancing to blues if you weren't going to push the line. The position was intimate, and it was meant to be. Amir's right leg slipped between hers and while his left hand clasped hers in a normal hold, his right arm pulled her close so there was barely any room between their upper bodies.

Mara laid her head against Amir's shoulder as they moved, dipping and swaying with the wave of dancers doing the same thing. She let him lead them for a few minutes before saying anything at all.

"I missed you."
Amir 13 years ago
Holding Mara while they danced was like trying to hang onto a swatch of silk in the wind - smooth, almost slippery, pleasant. Amir had been her dance partner for hundreds of years. He knew how she moved and it was easy to lead her when she'd been the one doing the teaching in the first place. He was a little surprised to feel her warm body pressed against his though; not that they had ever shoved each other apart by any means but he couldn't recall dancing this way with her often.

"I didn't go anywhere," he pointed out practically when she finally spoke.

She missed him? Mara had been the one who'd mysteriously gone out of town for several weeks after their discussion on the beach. He hadn't bothered trying to find her; Mara had things to do that weren't necessarily his business. While all of his vampires were loyal to him he'd never expected servitude of them. Mara was closer than any of them but even she had other pursuits. That she did them for Shades was no surprise, and if she'd ever needed his approval for that she'd have gotten it.

"What's wrong?"

Amir moved his hand from Mara's back and gently tilted her chin so she was looking up at him. She was unusually quiet and clingy. And, disturbingly, he wasn't minding the cling.
Mara 13 years ago
Being able to read Amir well sometimes had its drawbacks. He could read her equally well. Mara didn't resist when he turned her chin up; she just looked up into his dark eyes and smiled.

"Nothing," she lied.

Inside, everything was wrong. Shades wanted her to do this and it wasn't fair. Mara shouldn't want this. The trouble was she did. She thought back to the last time she'd been in this club with Amir, in the little room under the stairs, reminding him of the promise he'd made to her centuries ago. And she remembered Shades' words to her after Amir had left.

"You're only fooling yourself," he'd said.

It had been the pebble that started a landslide for Mara, because Shades was right. It wasn't that she'd been fooling herself. It was more that she'd been denying, stifling, hiding, and in general, ignoring what threatened to turn a comfortable relationship upside down. Up until now Mara would have said she was doing a pretty good job. But Shades' newest task was going to undo all of her hard work.

She pulled her chin out of Amir's hand and rested her head against his chest once more. She felt rather than heard him sigh softly and his hand worked its way into her hair, cradling her head gently.

After another minute Mara pulled away slightly.
"When was the last time you spoke to Subira?"
Amir 13 years ago
Amir didn't say anything when Mara lied to him; she would tell him what was bothering her in time. Instead he held her close because that was what he did when she was hurt or upset. Amir didn't have huge protective streak. He believed life had to be experienced in order to really learn and grow, a belief that had obviously asserted itself with Dana. With Mara, however, he was far more proprietary. She was his. Friend, companion, whatever you wanted to call her, he'd been looking out for her for as long as he had known her. So it came as a surprise when she asked about Subira. She hated Subira.

"Last night," he answered her. "You know I speak to her regularly."

Almost nightly. It was unusual for him not to check in with her on a regular basis.

"Why?"

He was curious about her interest. He knew Mara had different opinions about his creator than he did. He knew she had suspicions. And he would have been lying if he'd said he didn't have them himself. But recently, it seemed like something was going on that even he hadn't become aware of. Was Mara involved now?

Amir looked down at the top of Mara's head.
"Where did you go, Mara?"

He glanced across the crowd at Shades. Had Shades somehow gotten Mara involved in Subira's problems? He tensed. That, he wouldn't approve of. Shades may be their mutual ancestor but Amir was Mara's creator.
Mara 13 years ago
Report to regularly, Mara thought uncharitably. She couldn't remember the last time she'd heard Amir and Subira 'speaking' in the casual sense of the word. Oh, they used to, but (yet another fact that roused her suspicious cat's mind) in the past few decades it had been directing more than speaking on Subira's behalf and reporting on Amir's.

She felt him tense when he asked where she'd been and she knew lying would be of no use.

Wrapping both of her arms around Amir's narrow waist as if to prevent him from moving away, Mara closed the narrow space between them and let herself mold to his body as if glued there. His response was immediate; the hand in her hair dropped to her shoulder blade and the one she'd just freed rested on her hip. His body relaxed marginally.

She answered most of his questions at once. "I was in Africa," she said just loud enough for his ears to hear over the last few bars of the blues song. "You seemed worried the last time we spoke, and I wanted to see some things for myself."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir felt his hands tighten when Mara told him she'd been in Africa. "Did she know you were there?" His instincts told him Mara would have kept hidden.

The slow song ended and Amir released Mara.
"That was a foolish thing to do, Mara," he said. "Why Africa, of all places?"

The entire band struck up a beat and the dancers on the floor began to move to a much livelier swing. It was dance, or get shoved off the floor. So Amir offered Mara his hand again and they fell into the steps of a dance they'd done so many times it required little thought.
Mara 13 years ago
"Of course not," Mara replied, her feelings slightly hurt. She knew how to remain unseen, even from Subira's keen eyes.

As they moved along the dance floor she watched Amir's face, no longer close enough to him to hide against the crisp coolness of his shirt. His words, chastising her, were said with more concern than annoyance. He knew there was no love lost between Mara and Subira.

She evaded his last question.
"Did you know she's created four new vampires?"

From the look on his face, he didn't know.
Amir 13 years ago
He relaxed when Mara confirmed that she'd been incognito. It wasn't that Amir felt he needed to protect her; Mara could take care of herself. She didn't need him smothering her.

Mara's next revelation caused him to stop so abruptly Mara nearly tripped on him, as did the couple closest to them. Amir stood there, still amidst the flowing dancers on the floor, gripping Mara's hand and staring at her.

"Four?"

Mara closed the gap between them, nodding as she did. "Why?"

Amir thought furiously. What reason did Subira have to create more vampires? And four of them? She had taught him herself never to turn indiscriminately, that creation was a gift not to be abused. It was Subira who had impressed upon him the math - that humans were a limited resource and resources were to be conserved.

The worst part, though, was that Subira hadn't mentioned any of this to him. Amir was used to knowing her mind, her plans, her goals. She'd never to his knowledge hidden anything from him. Why wouldn't she have mentioned four newly-turned vampires?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara did a little skip-hop, catching her balance and righting herself as Amir jarred to a halt. Still holding his hand, she closed the distance between them and shook her head helplessly.

"I don't know why," she said. "She never discussed motivation while I was nearby."

Sensing Amir's distraction Mara tugged on his hand, leading him from the dance floor so they weren't in the way of any of the dancers. Instead of heading back to their table she made her way to the little reading room under the stairs. The things she had to discuss with Amir were best said away from any overhearing ears, no matter how noisy and distracting Shades' could be.

When they entered Mara sat beside Amir on the sofa. She didn't let go of his hand and if he noticed, he didn't pull his away.

"She was training them," Mara answered his next question. "She was teaching them to fight werewolves, like you taught me."

That wasn't entirely true. Subira didn't teach anyone the way Amir taught. Amir actually monitored his students' progress and gave appropriate lessons that didn't set them up for failure.

"But she also taught them how to fight other vampires," Mara finished grimly.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir followed Mara from Shades' public area back through the dimly lit hallway. Mara clearly had more to tell him or she wouldn't have brought him back here. Her news was shocking, though, and it took him a moment to let it all sink in.

When it finally did he closed his eyes briefly. Why was he having so much trouble with this? Opening them again, he watched Mara overtly, but couldn't see any signs of exaggeration or falsehood. He wanted to find them, desperately.

"She's being cautious," he said. "Subira never neglected any aspect of her vampires' education. She certainly didn't with mine."

Mara's eyes grew... what? Angry? He wasn't sure. Whatever it was, it was an emotion he'd never seen there before.
Mara 13 years ago
This was what Mara had needed to see. That look on Amir's face, in his eyes, the one that told her her beloved creator was not the same man he was five hundred years ago, a thousand years ago, even fifteen hundred. Never would he have watched her with that speculative air as if measuring the value of her words. And yet, Mara couldn't take it entirely as proof of her own theories. She only knew of one real way to test her hypothesis and it was currently impossible.

"Listen to yourself," she said. "Are you still going to make excuses? When I've been there and I've seen her and I can tell you what's going on behind your back!"

Mara grasped Amir's hand in hers. "She'll send them here, Amir. I know it. She'll send them quietly and claim she knows nothing about it."

Even to her own ears she sounded like a broken record. But how could he sit there and not take her seriously? She knew how. Because Amir's mind belonged to his own creator. He'd been doing what Subira wanted or so long that he was incapable of moving against her or believing her capable of such treachery.

"Did she teach you how to kill your own kind? Did she tell you to make sure the body is burned or exposed to sunlight? Did she warn you about various abilities and how to combat them? Or did you learn that over the years?"
Amir 13 years ago
"I'm not making excuses," Amir protested, and yet he wondered himself. Why wasn't he angrier? Why wasn't he more concerned? Mara would never lie about this and she wouldn't make it up.

"This is paranoia Mara," he said sternly. "What reason could Subira have? If she wanted to remove me she has far better ways to do it. Do you really think any number of new-born vampires is going to have better odds against me?"

He spoke with little pride for once. In the back of his head Mara continued to fuel the tiny spot of doubt she'd seeded months ago and he couldn't deny her. He didn't want to. He bordered on fanaticism where Subira was concerned and any warrior knew to watch for attack from every angle. Maybe that was why he didn't have the heart to be mad at Mara.

Amir stood, pulling his hand from hers.
"She taught me everything I needed to know at the time," he said. "I'm sure she'll let me know what's going on when I need to know this time."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara stood with Amir and moved around to the doorway. She didn't think she would really stand in his way if he was determined to leave but she didn't want him walking out on her angry. Mara held out her hand and braced it on his chest.

"You made me to be your eyes," she said softly. "When you couldn't keep an eye on everything. You made me to watch for you. Why can't you trust me now?"

Slowly Mara moved toward Amir, closing the distance between them once more. He made no move to stop her.

"Let me be your eyes now, when you're not seeing clearly."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir raged silently. He wanted to tell Mara he trusted her. He wanted to tell her he knew, he'd always known, and that he was ready for it. The words faded before they ever reached his tongue leaving nothing but acidic responses and bitterness.

He pushed against Mara's hand but it was like a brand upon his chest and he pulled back. She came closer and he stood his ground. She closed the gap and the breath he was going to use to speak caught in his throat.

Amir shook his head, thinking to deny that he wasn't seeing clearly.
"How am I supposed to see clearly with you muddying the water?"

The words didn't sound like his own. His voice had dropped low, it sounded scratchy, as if he hadn't drunk anything for weeks. Mara drew her hand away, jumping as if he'd slapped her. As quick as a striking serpent Amir caught her wrist and held it firmly but not painfully.

They glared at each other for a moment. Amir's dark eyes bored into Mara's inhumanly pale ones. Suddenly her pupils changed, going from round to slitted like a cat's. He felt the telltale ripple of skin that signaled a transformation and gripped her wrist tightly.

"No," he said. "No running away."

Without thought he lowered his head, his free arm wrapping around Mara's waist and pulling her back to him. Quickly, gently, he pressed his mouth to hers in a soft and silent kiss.
Mara 13 years ago
Amir's words frightened Mara. She felt more than saw a change come over him. When she pulled away he restrained her; he never hurt her, but his grip told her they were going to hash this out. She didn't want him angry with her. She had one route of escape open to her but before she could take it Amir was too close and his arm had her imprisoned.

Even as his mouth descended upon hers she was turning her face up to meet him. Her arm remained caught in his grasp but her free hand reached up, tucked itself into the front pocket of his jeans, pulled him closer as her fingers curled around the rough denim. When he would have been gentle she returned his kiss ferociously, her transformation forgotten.

Moving slowly, Mara leaned back against the frame of the doorway. Amir followed, his lean muscular body trapping her there, his tongue flickering against her lips. They broke apart, kissed again, repeated the motion like they'd found an oasis in the middle of a desert. Mara should have been tense; she should have been afraid but she couldn't be, not when it was Amir who held her.

It was he who pulled away first, and a good thing he did. Mara knew she didn't have the willpower to stop him if he wanted more. She wouldn't deny him, didn't want to.

As he stared down at her she realized he was fighting with himself.
"That was why you made me, wasn't it," she said softly, continuing as if the last minute or three hadn't happened.

He shook his head, the motion jerky.

"Why, then?"

All these centuries, she'd never asked him. She had theories, many of them, ranging from his first disastrous attempt to his eagerness to please Subira. But she wasn't ready for what he said.
Amir 13 years ago
Everything about kissing Mara was wrong and at the same time it was right. More than right, it was perfect. He couldn't stop. Her lips were soft; her mouth demanding. The contrast was inflammatory. Her fingers in his pocket threatened to sear through the fabric. Her back beneath his hand was supple and pliant; there was no resistance, no fear, and it nearly drove him to something he was almost sure they'd regret. With an effort he pulled away from Mara, something inside wrenching as he did.

Her words burned as much as her hand did. She'd never asked him so bluntly why he'd turned her when she'd asked him to. And now, giving her an honest answer was more of a fight than it would have been a thousand years before.

Amir looked down at Mara's slender wrist, still trapped in his hand. He released her, raised his hand, and cupped her cheek gently. Bending close to her he whispered against her lips.

"Insurance."

And he left her there, her fingers touching the spot is breath had just caressed, as he nearly ran back down the hall and out of the club.

((ooc: Mara and Amir out))