What To Do When There Aren't Enough Sheep (private)

Aishe lay awake in the large bed she and Kiamhaat shared. They hadn't gone to sleep long before; it was somewhere around eight in the morning. Typically they slept until two or three before getting up and doing whatever it was they had decided to do at home and then finally starting their evening. All of the blinds and windows were tightly closed and any light obscured, of course. It was dark in their bedroom and Aishe could hear the comforting patter of rain on the roof. The temperature in the room was cool; they both liked it that way when they slept.

Kiamhaat wasn't asleep though; Aishe could tell. Normally he fell asleep curled up around her, often with one leg thrown comfortably over hers. Later in the day they tended to roll apart, but right now he was lying on his back thinking. She could feel it. He was worried.

He'd told her about the attack on Reign the night before last. He'd told her about Drew, about killing a man. He'd told her about biting Reign, and he'd told her that his actions might have gotten Evenhet into some trouble.

That more than anything, more than killing someone, weighed on Kiamhaat's mind. And that was saying something. He didn't take death lightly.

After a while Aishe rolled over onto her stomach, squirming up a little bit until her chin rested on Kiamhaat's chest. She stared at him until he lowered his arm from his eyes and wrapped it around her instead.

"Run out of sheep?" she asked.

Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Sometimes the bad thing about sharing a bond with someone was that no matter how much you loved them, you could still hurt them. Not that Aishe was hurting but if she was also having trouble sleeping, that was because of him. Kem felt her roll over, felt the light weight of her head on his chest, and couldn't hide the fact that no matter how many nights they spent together, his sluggish heart beat just a bit faster when she was so close. He hugged her to him, looking down at her sparkling green eyes.

"Baah," he joked feebly. "I was going to start on ducks. Or cows."

Wresting his right arm from under the comforter he wrapped that around Aishe's narrow waist, tugging her gently up until her head rested just under his chin.

"I'm sorry I'm keeping you up," he said with a small, frustrated sigh.
Aishe 13 years ago
"Don't be sorry," Aishe said. "Just tell me."

She was glad to know how he felt. While he'd gotten much better in the past few years, Kiamhaat still had trouble being completely forthright with his feelings. Like now, he often sought to protect her by keeping things hidden. Usually, given time, he would find a way to say what had to be said, but every once in a while he was tongue-tied.

Aishe didn't think tonight would be one of those nights. She already knew what was bothering him. He'd told her. She was sure she could stop him from worrying, but maybe having someone to worry at would help.

Sliding up just a tiny bit further put her head next to his on his pillow. Aishe turned onto her side and happily wrapped herself around him, tangling her legs with his and pressing her lips to the pale gold skin on his neck.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Leave it to Aishe to ask him to talk and then do that to his neck. That was typical. Welcome, and typical. He felt the beginnings of a smile, if only because her lips tickled when she kissed him that lightly.

"That's not fair," he pointed out. She simply watched him with a mischievous little smile.

"All right."

Kem thought for a few seconds. "It's what I said to Reign," he finally muttered. "I told her I might not have acted to help her if I'd known another vampire was involved. I'm embarrassed I said it. And at the same time I'm not sure if it was the truth or not."

He looked at Aishe's open, honest expression. She never judged. It was one of the things that made her so easy to talk to.

"Should I have told her that? What if the day comes when I do have to choose between our human friends and our Clan?"

Could he do that?
"Is that what it means to be a leader? To have to choose to let someone die? I don't know if I can do that, Aishe."
Aishe 13 years ago
"Undeath isn't fair," Aishe replied with a tiny, wicked smile. Mischief set aside for the moment she listened quietly to Kiamhaat's troubles, nodding as he expressed his concerns to her.

It was typical of him to wonder if his actions and instincts were correct. He was so worried about doing the right thing, about making sure he acted in the best interest of Evenhet, but he hadn't forgotten about those outside of the Clan.

She waited for him to run down and then tilted her head back a little bit. He was so solemn tonight. A little crease had found its way to the usually smooth skin over his eyes. His eyes, too, were crinkled not with laughs but with stress.

"Do you regret helping Reign, 'Isu-mery?" she asked softly. "Even knowing there was a vampire involved do you regret having saved her? And knowing Drew was there too, that you worked to help a mutual friend together. At any point in the last 48 hours, have you once said to yourself, 'I wish I hadn't helped my friend?'"

That, in Aishe's opinion, was the pertinent question. And she knew what Kiamhaat's answer would be, but sometimes it helped to hear it out loud.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
"Of course I don't regret it," Kem said immediately when Aishe asked that rather pointed question.

He began to say something else, and then stopped.
"Huh. I guess you're right."

He was going to worry himself to death over 'what if,' a trap he'd fallen into repeatedly in the last oh, fifteen hundred years. Aishe was right to point that out to him now.

"But why," he countered, "did I not consider that when I first ran up there? I called 911. Why didn't I leave it at that?"

And before he could defend himself, before he even really realized what was going on, he took Aishe's pillow to the face with plenty of vampire force behind it.
Aishe 13 years ago
Sometimes Aishe suspected she should have kept a baseball bat handy. Nobody could talk himself in circles like Kiamhaat. And what was worse, on his bad days he actually believed himself!

Hitting him in the face with a pillow seemed the best way to jar his stubborn mind free of the track it was currently on.

"Because," she said, lifting the pillow and looking at his shocked expression, "You. Are. A. Decent. Guy."

With each word she hefted the pillow and hit him with it again. He managed to get his arms up to defend himself but it didn't deter her. Sitting up, the comforter slipping down around her hips, she gave an agile little hop and landed astride Kiamhaat's hips, pinning him to the bed. Putting her pillow aside, she leaned forward, one hand on either side of his dazed face, and pressed her nose to his.

"You don't let innocent people suffer, no matter who they are. You would never. You helped Reign because she's a good person, and if there are consequences to be faced, we'll face them."

Aishe sat up and crossed her arms indignantly over her chest. "And if you try to tell me for one moment that you wouldn't do it again if you knew what those consequences were, I wouldn't believe it anyway."

She poked him gently in the middle of a chest with her forefinger.
"Worry less about the whole 'what would Alfarinn do' thing, and just do what Kiamhaat does. Because it's working fine so far. I trust you. And if the Evenhet didn't also trust you, they surely would have said something in the past few years. Not even vampire bureaucracy can move that slowly, long lifespans or not."

She grinned down at him. "Surely someone would have fired off an email by now. Sent a text. Started a blog."
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
You know, he could have sworn feather pillows were supposed to be soft and fluffy on account of they had all those feathers inside.

"What the hell is in your pillow? Bricks?" Kem managed in a muffled tone as Aishe tried to simply beat logic into him.

Levity aside though, her words had impact. Figuratively as well as literally. He understood her point, at least, so when the pillow was lifted away and he was allowed to breathe in enough to speak, the first thing out of his mouth was a laugh.

"Okay. I get your point," he said. "Noted. But can you blame me for trying to take after the man I've looked up to ever since I learned I wasn't the only vampire around?"

He rested his hands on Aishe's hips, admiring the turn of her head, the heavy silk of her hair strewn across her shoulders. She was wearing a little top that was ridiculously girly for her. Something light green on top with a little bit of darker green lace that dipped dangerously low. And panties. And... that was it.

Kem paused. Aishe never wore frilly things to bed. he reached up and tugged the hem of the little cami.
"What's this?"

He wasn't easily distracted. Not really. Was he?
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe grinned as Kiamhaat's worry turned into something much more fun to deal with. His short laugh was a breath of fresh air. He'd told her years ago he couldn't change who he was. He was subject to fits of depression, moodiness, whatever you wanted to call them. He had promised her, though, that he'd do his best not to let them get the better of him and thus far she couldn't find any cause for complaint.

"Looking up to him is one thing," she said, "but I'd just as soon you not try to be him, please. There's only one man I want in my bed."

It seemed to be the thing to say. Kiamhaat focused, as she had hoped he would, on the cute little ocean-green cami she'd bought. It was a cute affair with a bit of lace at the top and a low v-neck for a cami.

"This," she said in a low tone, a smile spreading across her face, "is way better than sheep, is what it is."
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem suppressed a shiver as Aishe's fingers trailed lightly down his chest.

"He's me, right? Please tell me he's me. Otherwise I'm in big trouble."

That slow, sexy smile, the way Aishe's voice dropped and grew just that much huskier, the smolder in her green eyes; they all combined to make the most powerful aphrodisiac Kem could imagine.

"I definitely like your way better," he agreed with enthusiasm.

He shifted quickly, rolling Aishe over and reversing their roles so he had her pinned now.
"I get to unwrap this present right?"
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe clung to Kiamhaat as he rolled her over and settled above her. She could see her mischief reflected back at her in his pale, sparkling eyes. She grabbed his long hair in her fists and used it to gently drag him down, smiling into the warm sensation of a deep, lazy kiss that could have lasted a minute or all night. Kiamhaat's careful hands played games with her "wrapping" and she pressed herself tighter against him.

There were some nights when she felt like this; nights when she thought her heart might literally burst. Was this what happened when you took love and reflected it back and forth along a bond until it just resonated? What it empathy? Whatever it was, Aishe didn't have to go far to lose herself in the wonderful notion that here she was, with her vampire, in their house. Just the two of them. An ordinary setting, she supposed, but a tiny spot of perfection for them both.

The world faded away and left nothing but the softness of cool cotton sheets, heated kisses, gentle caresses, and finally a sigh of contentment as they melted together. Words of love were unnecessary; they filtered through from mind to mind as their eyes met and they drew closer and closer to the star they both chased with reckless abandon.

Aishe could never tell, on nights like these, which one of them reached it first. It was so intense it bordered on unbelievable. The sharing between them got so close at those times the sensations simply echoed back and forth between them, taking far longer to recede than they normally would.

When the room stopped spinning they lay, trembling with welcomed fatigue, on top of the sheets until it got chilly. Then Kiamhaat pulled the comforter up and gathered her close, curling around her as if all were completely right in their world because just then, it was.

[Love you.]

The feelings were there, she didn't need to hear the words... but she liked to hear them anyway.

[Love you too.]
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem opened his eyes on a darkened room, rain still pattering on the roof. The clock told him it was closer to four than to three. Aishe's body was warm in his arms and her hair tickled his nose. He didn't mind. There was nothing like this in the world.

As if on cue she turned her head, her eyes opening, a sleepy smile on her lips. She rolled over sinuously, like a cat, and cuddled up against his chest, tilting her head to press a kiss to his chin.

"Don't go to work tonight," she said, eyes twinkling impishly.

Kem raised his brows at her; Aishe had never made that request before. Instead of questioning her, he just regarded her curiously for a moment before he said,
"Okay. I won't go in."

Her smile grew wider. She asked little enough of him, he reasoned. He spent so many days at Meridian, days which were rightfully hers, days they should spend like they'd spent this one. Who was he to argue when Aishe asked for some of his time?
Aishe 13 years ago
She'd spent some time thinking before falling asleep. Kiamhaat was right about a few things, first and foremost that Reign clearly had some trouble. Before falling asleep she'd hatched the beginnings of an idea, but she wasn't sure how Kiamhaat would feel about it.

When she asked him to stay home that night his answer was nearly immediate and affirmative, which made Aishe smile. Kiamhaat might have an overdeveloped work ethic, but he never failed to apply it to their relationship too. She knew what it meant to him to be a constant presence but he still gave that up for her when she asked. And sadly, she had a feeling this night might not be as fun as he anticipated.

"I had an idea," she said slowly, after they'd repositioned themselves and rubbed the sleep from their eyes.

Kiamhaat's face was expectant and curious.
"I know you've told me before, but have you ever considered taking a familiar? Things have changed now."

It was a good sign when he didn't immediately shut down.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
That wasn't fair. An ambush by snuggling. But the question didn't really bother him; there wasn't any aspect of his history that he and Aishe hadn't covered by now. She wouldn't have brought the topic up if it weren't relevant in some sense. Aishe didn't cause hurt needlessly, so there was something to her question.

"I can't say as I've given it much though in the last few centuries," Kem said slowly. "Why?"

He didn't exactly eye her suspiciously. Or he tried not to, anyway. Instead he relaxed back into the softness of their mattress, taking Aishe with him and waiting to hear her thoughts. They were almost always sound and logical.

He frowned as she spoke but in the end, he had to concede that she was right. He did have some help to offer after all, if it didn't do more harm than good anyway.

((ooc: Kem and Aishe out))