Watch carefully (private)

Continuing from Name of the Game

Viv had a thing about books.

Wearing the same workout clothes from the other morning spar with the Commander, this time in dark blues and blacks, Viv unconsciously scratched at the diamond weave material that covered her from head to toe. It was in four pieces: gloves, boots, form fitting pants and tank. Sitting cross legged on a crate labeled with various official diplomatic labels from Australia with corresponding United States stamps, Viv enjoyed her book as she held it in her hand which was propped up by her elbow on her knee. She was reading intently.

A man standing six foot three was stacking small crates around her, walking back and forth from an SUV with diplomatic plates. His name was Diego and he was from the Elder's compound in Canberra. Turning a page slowly but with great interest, Viv waited for the Pipers to return from their afternoon muster with the Commander. Having just come from her coffee date with Carol, Viv was keyed up from the rather exuberant blond and her story telling skills. The book was having a calming effect on her, so she happily continued reading as the LT, Charlie, and Red approached her first.

The Pipers 13 years ago
Abran Diego is a Piper. Born 1933 as the illegitimate son of Angel Herrera Oria, Spanish journalist and inevitably the co-founder of the Propagandists Catholic National Association in Spain. Despite his rather tumultuous conception and heritage, Diego's maternal heritage had been part of the Kadzait pack dating back to the 1300's. His personal views are his own, but has been known to label himself as an atheist, much to his biological father's dismay.

Standing six foot three, Diego has risen the ranks of the Pipers, and although hails from south Spain, has recently relocated to Canberra and the Elder families research and development facility. His has shoulder length black hair, sad eyes that droop in the corner, and scarred facial features. Finally finishing unloading the equipment, he approached Vivienne Sena and cleared his throat, looking at her with light brown eyes.

'All ready, ma'am.' His voice has a thick Spanish accent but his English is flawless, as is his Spanish, Italian, and Russian.

Looking up from her book, Vivienne gave Diego a warm smile, and despite himself, he smiled back just as Nachton's command came into the Tikerak, approaching them with rigid faces.

'Lieutenant Jameson,' Diego said holding his hand out. Shaking the younger man's hand, he gave him a polite, yet stiff bow. 'Sergeant Hammond, Mr. Deardon.'

The LT let the sergeant speak first. Pointing at himself, Charlie introduced them,
'Charlie, LT, and Red. Nice to meet you Mr. Diego.'

'Diego, please.'

Vivienne emitted a loud snapping nose and all four men looked at her. Diego just realized she was slowly chewing gum as she ignored the introductions and men, returning her attention to her book.

Past her Diego could see more Pipers approaching the clearing. A loud whistle and hoot sounded from the group and the new recruit ran up and shook hands with Diego.

'Nephew!' Diego pulled his sister's youngest into his arms and bear hugged him.

Domingo returned the warm embrace and grabbed his uncle by his shoulders.
'What are you doing here?' he asked in Spanish.

Looking at Vivienne who slowly turned another page, Diego pointed to the boxes as the rest of the Pipers surrounded them.

Answering in Spanish,
'Let's wait for the Beta and Commander first.'

Just then Piper command turned the corner and slowly made their way to the staging area. Beta Hammerthynn's scarred eye was as plain as day, even from some distance off. Beside him was the Commander who gave the Beta a wide berth. Diego had the honor of meeting both men years ago and knew them to be good friends, if not brothers. The friendly body language, mostly from the Commander - (it was never the Hammerthynn way to express anything remotely close to camaraderie, just unflinching honor) was gone and they both walked with hard stares and rigid movements.

The rest of the Pipers quieted down and waited for Command to approach, none watching them but either looking at the ground or each other. The air was thick with tension, that was until Vivienne began speaking to the LT without looking up from her book.
Vivienne Sena 13 years ago
Vivienne snapped her gum as Diego and his nephew reacquainted themselves, albeit briefly, and continued reading her book. The elbow from the arm she used to prop her book up to eye level was sitting on her Ipad and beneath that her PC notebook, both capable of loading e-book programs, but she used neither. Viv enjoyed holding a good book; the smell, the weight of it, the feel of the crisp paper in between her fingertips reminded her of cloistered, but warm safety. The weight of paperbacks in her bags while traveling never bothered her. Plus she got wicked eyestrain from reading from an Ipad once just to test it out.

'What are you reading, ma'am?' Charlie asked quietly. Viv could see him trying to read the bind of the book but it was creased horribly.

'Gilbert Gilgamesh Hamilton, Mr. Hammond. Gil the ARM.' She turned a page slowly, again snapping her gum. 'It's by Larry Niven - one of the few science fiction detectives in this particular genre.' Viv over enunciated the latter two words. Science fiction gave her great pleasure since discovering it in the late 60's. Hard science fiction based in possible science intrigued her, plus she enjoyed a good gum-shoe mystery.

Charlie mumbled a barely audible 'oh' and remained silent. Viv turned another page and then addressed the LT.

'I had coffee with your Carol today, Lieutenant.'

'Really?' LT asked, his tone confused - Viv did not look up, but instead acknowledged him.

'Oh aye,' she replied, her eyes on her book. 'Gave me a magnificent recipe for a delicious sounding, spicy chicken with home made potato skins and batter fried jal-ee-peenos.' Viv drew out the last syllable, eyes still on her book.

Smiling, she added,
'My and did she go on about how you liked it.' Quietly, she turned another page.
Lothias LT Jameson 13 years ago
LT blushed as soon as Vivienne mentioned the chicken. Her last comment had him grinning from ear to ear. Putting his hands behind his back, he looked off toward his Uncle and the Beta as they slowly made their way over. He answered in an even, tempered voice.

'Did she? Huh. Well, I did enjoy it, but not as much as she did.' LT stuck his tongue out, licking his bottom lip as he watched the two men join the fray. Vivienne snapped her gum again and without turning his head, he looked at her. No longer looking at her book but at him, Viv shook her head with a smile intact and a blush on her cheeks.

Closing his mouth, he let his smile drop as the CO walked through the men and approached Diego. The two men shook hands and Diego turned to the Beta and shook his.

'Diego, this is Marthinus Steyn, formerly of Duibne Industries.' Marthinus stepped forward and shook hands with the man.

'Diego,' the spanish man smiled.

'They call me Jones,' Marthinus replied quietly but made no attempt to explain why and Diego did not ask.

'Duibne Industries has a reputable R&D, correct, Jones?'

LT still found it odd to call Marthinus by his nickname, but Red insisted on calling him that even though 'Marty' made more sense. Still, the nickname had been admirably earned, so LT respected it.
Iov Hammerthynn 13 years ago
Muster had been by the book. The LT reported city wide activity, daily reports, and short term as well as long term goals for the Pipers security detail. The Vyusher R'asa had been quiet and their were no recent developments regarding the vampire attack on Kadzait leadership, which Hammer found odd. The Alpha had returned to his day to day duties and they had not spoken any further regarding Vivienne's appearance or reports.

Brig was functioning normally. It was the only way Hammer could describe his cousin's demeanor. Things had changed, that was painfully apparent; gone were the jokes, laughter, and general good mood. Brig had resorted to running the men ragged, doing unreasonably long runs, weekly recalls, and minimum sixteen hour shifts. It made no sense to Hammer, but attributed his change in leadership style to Viviene's appearance in Nachton and her impending reviews.

Brig's initial fascination with Vivienne seemed to wear off as the first week passed, but had graduated to an incomprehensible annoyance. Brig obviously didn't like her on pack property, or the city, but Hammer couldn't help but smile at his cousin's stupidity.

With muster over, the men filed out and went to the Tikerak's staging area to meet Vivienne there. Hammer left the Situation room first but Brig followed him silently as they walked out. Other than work, they did not speak. At all. Silence was fine for Hammer, Brig did most of the talking anyway, but with his cousin so conspicuously quiet, Hammer almost felt the need to break the silence, and when he did, his cousin would answer him with no more than one or two word responses.

Hammer missed his cousin.

As he and Brig entered the staging area, Hammer greeted the R&D team Piper Diego and recognized him from years before. He gave him a polite nod and then waited for Vivienne to start her meeting, but she seemed caught up in her book. Rolling his eye, he was about to snap at Vigo's favorite when the LT addressed Diego regarding Marthinus. Hammer looked curiously at his pup and waited for him to reply.
Marthinus T. Steyn 13 years ago
Marthinus shrugged lightly, 'DI's research and development has made some significant strides in blood synthesizing technology.' He considered the boxes stacked next to Miss Sena who continued reading her book and ignoring the men as they gathered.

'If I'm correct, Stafford Enterprises was interested in acquiring that part of DI.' Marthinus looked over at the Beta as he waited rather impatiently for Vivienne to start her meeting. 'That's how I met the Beta here.'

Hammer's expression went from tense to damn near nice as Marthinus recalled their first meeting.

'I'm somewhat out of the loop now, though,' he finished, hopefully putting a close to the topic of his other life.
Brig Jameson 13 years ago
Brig gave Diego a firm handshake and nodded politely. He remembered the Spaniard, and more importantly, remembered that he had been promoted to the families R&D facilities. The crates could only mean new equipment and they were outside, so he was genuinely excited to begin the meeting and see the equipment.

'Ready then?' Brig asked Diego who nodded but then looked at Vivienne who apparently was reading a book. Brig waited a moment and then cleared his throat to get her attention, to which she held up her hand to wait. She then turned another page slowly and snapped her gum annoyingly. She was doing it on purpose, he realized.

Rolling his eyes slightly, he looked at his nephew who merely shrugged. Vivienne had a way of doing things, and she only did these things on her schedule. It absolutely annoyed him.

Marthinus, LT, and Diego continued talking about research and development. Disengaging from the conversation, Brig walked over to Vivienne and stood in front of her.

Incredulously he asked
, 'You have an Ipad and a note book, but you're reading an actual book?'

Vivienne kept her eyes on her book, moving left to right, and just when he thought she hadn't heard him (or was ignoring him) she replied.
Turning another page, Viv waited to reply to the Commander, letting his hackles rise, and just when she thought he was going to snap, she waited another five seconds and cut him off.

'I know, reading an actual book,' Viv shuddered but continued reading, 'I am a heathen, I swear it.'

In her peripheral vision she saw Brig put his hands on his hips and turn toward Diego.

'Just hang on a second, Commander. Best part.' After pausing a moment, she finished the chapter and then closed the book on her finger. Finally gracing the men with direct eye contact, the Commander in particular, Viv explained her rude behavior.

'Originally I had read Larry Niven's ARM stories in another short story compilation called '13 crimes of science fiction' - a rather incredible selection of short stories dedicated to every type of story in the genre. For example,' she held up her hand and counted off - 'The gumshoe detective, the film noir, the locked room, the-how-done-it, the who-done-it.' Shuddering happily she put the book down.

'Mental note, gentlemen...my favorite book ever.' Rubbing her hands together, Viv smiled. 'We're ready?' They were, but the Commander had another question.
'Wait a minute,' he said holding his hand out to Diego who had opened his mouth to start the meeting, but then closed it slowly. 'You didn't answer my question.'

'Was it a question? I thought you were just trying to small talk me, Commander.'

He gave Viv a wan smile. Leaning over, he brushed by Vivienne and grabbed her book. Holding it in front of her, and himself directly behind the book making him even closer than was necessary, he held the book in between them and shook it.

'Why a book?'

'Because I like it,' Viviene replied, pronouncing each word succinctly.

'Ok, we're going to be monosyllabic about it,' Brig said sarcastically, garnering a put-out huff from Vivienne, 'then explain why you'd lug around all the paper?' He pushed the book against her chest and gave her a smug smile. 'Think of the environment, Miss Sena.'

'I'd happily recycle it, Commander. Would you like to read it?' She took the book and gave him an awkward face. 'I mean...it has words in it.'

They glared at each other - all six foot five of him and all five foot six (with exercise boots on). The staging area became quiet as they verbally fenced, each other trying to kill the other with sarcasm. He had slouched over closer to her eye level but he slowly stood to his full height and looked down at her. Her expression faltered for a moment and a clear sneer crossed her face as he did it.

I win, he thought to himself.

'Now we're ready.'
The Pipers 13 years ago
Diego started the meeting quickly, slightly embarrassed by the CO and Miss Sena's confusing squabble.

'Gentlemen, as some of you know, I am Abran Diego, lead technician for the families Research and Development in Canbarra. Most of our equipment is human based, since we rarely rely on anything but instinct and innate ability when in wolf form. However, R&D has developed armor for the Pipers,' he paused and looked at each Piper in the eye, 'armor made of a stable memory mold that provides high impact Kevlar resistance as well as shape shifting morph-ability.'

'You just made that last word up, didn't you,' Viv asked with a smile.

'It's hyphenated, Miss Sena. Triple word points.' Diego smiled, pointing a finger at Vivienne and continued. 'The lady is wearing Therian-weave, the Piper's new transitional armor - for human shape...or wolf.'
Vivienne took a step past the Commander and displayed the Therian-weave she was wearing.

'The diamond weave style, I think, shows off a woman's curves rather nicely.' Holding her arms out to the side, she turned 360 degrees, letting the Pipers see the material and everything else that the tight fitting armor did not leave to the imagination.

'The top and bottoms are separates - the pants are only calf length. The top comes in any style - I'm wearing the sleeveless, but it can be made with them. The gloves,' she wiggled her phalanges and feet, ' and boots are obviously accessories, however they can provide slightly better traction against slippery surfaces.'
Hammer was extremely pleased with what R&D had created, but he looked at Vivienne's body armor and took a step closer to touch it. Reaching out, he took her hand and touched the inside of the gloves. He could feel the invisible grip and wanted to know the maneuverability she had.

'How are they with grasping?'

Brig came up beside him and handed Vivienne a quarter. Hammer watched as she gave his cousin the barest hint of a grin and then looked at Hammer. Holding the quarter up, Hammer watched as she passed the other hand over the quarter and made it disappear. She made it reappear three more times and then she reached out to his face.

Hammer jerked back slightly as she touched his ear and he narrowed his good eye at her as she pulled her hand back and showed him the quarter. Nodding, Hammer permitted Vivienne a small smile.
She flipped the quarter back to Brig who caught it and redeposited it in his pants pocket.

'Impressive.' He stepped back and looked at her again. 'But you're so small. We're three times your weight and twice your height. We're even bigger in wolf form. How does the material account for that?'
The Pipers 13 years ago
Diego weighed about two hundred and fifty pounds at six foot three; Hammer still had one hundred pounds on him. He pulled his gray t-shirt off and showed him another version of the Therian-weave.

'This top was the same size as Vivienne's who wears a ladies medium because of her chest size...'

'Oh my god, hey!' Vivienne squawked as a teetering chuckle passed through the other Pipers.

'My apologies - but they are the same size. As I said, the material has a memory mold and the initial fit will only feel a little snug, even to you, Beta.'

Diego opened a crate and took out a black box. Opening it revealed an entire suit - top, bottoms, gloves and boots folded at the bottom. He handed the bottom half of the box to the Beta who's face folded into a confused expression.

Diego smiled,
'Weighs .89 ounces.'

The Pipers murmured and even the Commander peeked into the box and took one out. The rest of the Pipers came forward and grabbed a box for themselves.

'One size fits all?' Charlie asked opening his box.

'Yes, Sergeant,' Diego replied taking a step back and standing with Vivienne.

'And we all get one issued?' Red asked handling the almost weightless material with his fingers.

'One is all you will need.'

'These are black?' Domingo asked as he pointed to Vivienne. 'I like the blue.'

The LT rolled his eyes and said, 'Really? You like the blue, do you?'

Domingo closed his mouth and continued pulling out his suit as did all t
he Pipers and started to undress when the Commander interjected.
'Wow,' Brig mumbled as he knelt onto the ground and held the material in both hands. He ignored the other men for a moment as he pulled on the material, trying to misshape it, but it always came back to its original shape. 'Memory mold, huh...'

Looking up, he tried putting his fist through the material and saw the men begin to undress, shirts piling onto the ground and was fine with them trying the top on, but when they began to undo their boots and pants, he stood up and pointed out the obvious.

'What are you guys doing?' The obvious being Vivienne who was leaning against the crates, grinning like the Cheshire cat, watching the men in varying degrees of undress. The Pipers stopped and looked at Brig, who pointed to Vivienne.

'Oh no, I'm good.' Viv raised an eyebrow and shrugged disinterested, but her smile wasn't too convincing of it.

'Shirts only,' he said giving her a side glare.
'Did you want me to look away? Here, I'll look away.' Vivienne crossed her arms and then looked skyward but remaining still and not turning away. 'See?' She looked back at Brig and the other Pipers. 'I totally wasn't looking. Carry on.'

All the Pipers had stopped, saved for Hammer who was standing opposite of Brig, and slid down his pants to stand naked.

Turning her head, Viv looked at Hammer and then back at Brig. Blinking slowly, she looked back at Hammer and exclaimed
, 'Good god, man! How is that even physically possible?'

'Hammer, come on,' Brig said in an annoyed voice and pointed to Viv.
Hammer gave his cousin a blank look and stood naked in front of Vivienne. Mentally he shrugged, Vivienne was nothing to him and the men had seen him naked before, so he ignored Brig's terse complaint and picked up the pants.

Continuing with his observations with Diego, he asked the Spaniard more questions as he stretched the material.
'These are extremely small, but the Memory mold will fit someone as large as me?'

Vivienne made a strangled noise, no doubt an attempt at speech, but Hammer continued ignoring her.

Diego nodded and Hammer stepped into the pants, pulling them on and expecting them not to fit, but when they did, he cracked a smile
. 'Impressive, indeed.'
The Pipers 13 years ago
'As I said,' Diego continued trying not to laugh at Vivienne's reaction to Hammer's nakedness, 'they will feel snug, but as you wear the Therian-weave, the material will become more flexible and feel like second skin. I don't even feel mine anymore.'

The rest of the Pipers murmured in delight as they pulled on the shirts and flexed. Charlie had the first of many questions for Diego.

'These are full sleeves - I can see the practicality in the full coverage protection, but what about 3/4 quarter sleeves instead?'

'Not a problem, I can make adjustments before I leave,' Diego replied, shrugging off the question and stepped over to the Commander and asked him a question under his breath.

'It would be helpful if one of them changes, to get an idea of how it looks and feels.' The Commander looked over at Vivienne who just smiled back. Diego took the opportunity to suggest someone. 'The Beta would be ideal.'
Hammer overheard Brig and Diego talking and stepped forward. 'Of course.' He pulled on the top, sliding his tree trunk arms through the small sleeves and immediately felt the snug fit give. It almost felt whisper thin, yet his body temperature did not alter at all.

'Is the diamond weave part of its construction or just for show?'

'That is how it is fabricated, sir,' Diego replied.

Flexing his arms, Hammer pulled down the top till it reached the waistline of the bottoms and felt no exposed skin. The neck fit comfortably around his neck and he twisted his head, side to side, feeling the material give and retract back to its natural position, flush against his skin.

'Gloves and boots?' Diego asked him, holding them up for him.

'No, not yet. Let me change with the core of it on.'

The men backed up as Hammer summoned the wolf in him, forcing the change as quickly as possible, he held his arms out and fell forward, tolerating the pain and shifting forms completely by the time his front paws hit the ground.

Instinctively he shook out his fur and felt confined. He whined and Diego stepped forward and pulled at the material, speaking to him gently.

'The material needs to mold, sir. Give it a moment.'

Shaking his massive head, Hammer looked at the other Pipers who looked in awe at him. Hammer was indeed larger than the other men in human form, but his wolf size paled in comparison to the others. His fur was fighting to push through the material as he kept shaking it out. Angrily he stretched out and howled loudly, snorting through his nose as he tried to get used to the armor. As he began to pace in circles, his eye finally fell on Vivienne and what he saw made him stop.
Viv had regained her composure as Hammer began asking questions about the material as he dressed. He decided against the boots and gloves which didn't surprise her. They weren't mushing dogs; they were wolves. Anything on their feet is going to make them shake it off, but maybe over time, she thought.

Hammer was a magnificent example of evolution, she had to admit. He was not only in direct lineage with the Hammerthynns, he was
the last son. Well, he was the last son. Where Hammer had brute strength and muscles, the Alpha was lean and cut. They both had the same shoulder breadth and height, but the Stafford in the Alpha certainly tempered the gigantic features of the Hammerthynns. Viv could even see the Hammerthynn in the LT, even though he was three steps off from the direct line. Nature sure did work her wonders on Hammer though, that was for sure.

Watching silently, Viv waited for Hammer to finish his questions before he changed. She felt eyes on her and she looked to her left where Brig was, oddly enough, standing next to her and leaning against the crate she was up against. His proximity didn't startle her, but maybe it should have, she wondered. His outside hand was on his hip and his eyes were narrowed and tense as he flicked a look at her and caught her eye. They shared no obvious moment, no quick wink, or daring smile. They merely looked at each other and then back at Hammer who finally was ready to succumb to the change and did so.

Hammer was huge. In every sense of the word.

Red, like Brig but a little grayer around the muzzle, his immense shoulders popped just below his massive wolf head as he turned his back on her and Brig and looked at Diego and the other Pipers. Viv heard the soft whine and she wagered it was probably the snug fit of the material. Diego explained the fit to Hammer who shook his head and kept trying to shake his fur out instinctively. Straightening up off the crates, Viv took a step forward just as Hammer stretched out his long body and howled.

Suddenly she was ten again. Wounded, smelling of blood and ashes, Viv felt the weakness in her knees as she looked at the other wolves gathering around her. They were as big as buildings and as wide as the sky. And their eyes...

Viv took a step back, away from Hammer who turned and looked at her. His scarred eye looked mangled and ugly as it seemingly narrowed with its uninjured twin. Reaching up, she touched the faint scar on her soft skin between her neck and shoulder and backed into Brig, but it wasn't him, it was Vigo.

Naked and covered in soot, Vigo put his arm on Vivienne and turned her back toward the other wolves; the wolves with the missing left eyes.
Brig watched Hammer change and raised his eyebrows as he watched the material change with him. Diego said something to Hammer and Viv took a step closer. Brig was leaning up against the crates with her, not worrying if it looked out of place. But as she stepped away, he looked at her as she froze.

'Vivienne?' he said as she took a step back into him. 'Hey...'

Brig grabbed her arm as she continued backing up and when she turned to face him, he wasn't sure what he was seeing...or what she was seeing.

Hammer turned around and began approaching her, admittedly his missing eye looked unsettling, but Vivienne didn't seem the type to react to a Hammerthynn with anything but maybe awe. She lived at the Hammerthynn compound and called Vigo her father, he thought. Why was she reacting at all? Inhaling, he could smell her scent change as her skin began to sweat and the fear was undeniable in her eyes.

'Hammer, back off.' His cousin stopped in his tracks and turned his head quizzically, his right ear flapping forward.

'I...I need...' Vivienne mumbled, her tone scared and she began to pull away from him.

'We're done here,' Brig said and the men gathered their things and left immediately with Diego. Brig looked at Hammer as Viv began to frantically pull away from him, backing further away from Hammer.

'Go,' he said through gritted teeth.

Hammer wouldn't be able to change back as quickly, so he backed up and then turned toward the forest, sprinting quickly into the dense brush.
Hammer burst through the dense bushes and skidded to a halt. Shaking his head, he concentrated on changing back, but it was so soon that he had gone wolf, his body refused to listen. He understood Vivienne's reaction to seeing him in wolf form - to his knowledge she hasn't since the day Vigo saved her, but he had no idea. Guilt rose up his gullet has he struggled with the change and forced it back, painfully breaking his body and reassembling it again.

Reeling in the wolf, Hammer forced himself up on his hind legs and it came quickly, bending his legs straight, traveling up his body like lightening, finally shaking his enormous wolf head and tempering the beast as his mandibles retracted and his jaw shrank. He fell forward in human shape and rested his head on the dirt.

Having not ran that far from the staging area, he could hear the Pipers leaving and Brig trying to talk to Vivienne. She was pleading with him, crying. Standing on one leg, then the other, Hammer took a shaky step back toward them. Coming out of the bushes, he saw that Brig had pulled her away and he followed after them.

Coming up to them, Hammer put his hands out in front of Vivienne who stopped pulling away from Brig and he did the unthinkable.

'Vivienne...I'm sorry. I didn't know.'

Vivienne blinked at Hammer and then at Brig who looked at him, 'What the hell just happened?'

With a sigh, he took another step to Vivienne who had stopped resisting and seemed to calm down. Hammer spoke quietly as he reached out and touched Vivienne's shoulders.

'She hasn't seen me in wolf form since she was ten. I didn't know...' Hammer said, his voice trailing off. With a shrug he mumbled, 'I didn't know.'