The Pup becomes a Wolf

LT pulled the Excursion through the wrought iron gates of their property and drove it down the gravel road to park it in one of the enclosed parking garages. It was mid-day, straight up, and as he began to walk toward the Den, he heard a clear and distinct yelp. Instead of running to the noise, he twirled his key ring and smiled. The Pipers were out doing combat training, enjoying the sun, and the voice was easily recognizable. Poor Red was probably getting his ass handed to him, again, by Charlie. Picking up his pace, he ran inside to change into his exercise clothes to join them.

~~

They were practicing along the back end of the property called the Tikerak, used for recreational purposes and outdoor activities. Their numbers had been reduced to seven, but he counted nine as he jogged up to the edge of the dirt exercise area the Pipers used. Walking closer, he recognized the eighth Piper and the smell of the new addition.

Domingo was a distant Hammerthynn relative. Not all Hammerthynn men married Jameson women - the gene pool would not be able to handle that much interbreeding, so LT recognized the olive skin relative from one of the Southern European packs and from what LT had heard of him, Domingo was an extreme show boat.

Domingo stood just over six foot one, one of the smaller Pipers on the team, and had an obvious chip on his shoulder as he tried to establish his position in the pecking order. Domingo's pack did things differently on his side of the world, dominance determining status, not unlike most of the packs, but as a Piper he would have to learn that individuality, unless tempered with humility, would only endanger the team and therefore his position within it. The other newcomer was interesting to see.

LT approached the group, still some distance away, when the Pipers turned and waved to their LT. Their sense of smell was extraordinary, and LT understood that the vampires had a similar ability called 'perception'; one of the few things Marthinus would comment about his old family. Speaking of which...

Jogging up to the group, Charlie turned and gave a squinted smile to his LT.
'What's going on,' LT asked when he saw who Domingo was sparring with.

The Pipers 13 years ago
Charlie had been with the Pipers almost as long as the LT. In the chain of command, it was the Beta, the Commander, the LT, and finally Charlie, the Sergeant, although no one referred to him as that. Still, with command not present, the Pipers followed Charlie with the same unflinching loyalty they gave those above him in rank. It was he who spoke to the LT, explaining the situation - tense though it was.

'It's the pup and the newbie, sir.'

The LT only nodded, his gaze intense on the scene unraveling in front of them. Charlie turned back and started the match with a nod to Dougie. Nodding he stepped forward.

'You both know the rules. Low blows, cursing, sucker punches, or in other words all dirty fighting is encouraged. Remember who you fight with - all Pipers are brothers...even the newbies.'

Domingo flipped off Dougie and a roar of a laughter pass through the crowd of men, but his opponent merely tipped his hand in a sign of respect and waited. Domingo produced two dull sparring knives from the back of his waistband and twirled them in his hand, doing his best to intimidate his opponent and impress his brothers.

Charlie turned to the LT and whispered in his ear.
'We were about done watching the Nancy here dance around with his knives. He's good, I'll give him that, but needs to be taken down a peg or two, if you ask me.'

'Yeah, I heard Red yelping earlier,' LT said without looking at him but graced the Piper with a small grin.

'Dirty fighting. I am a man of integrity and I abhor this filthy way of fighting. I just abhor it!'

LT glanced at him and snorted.

'The douche has managed to best a couple of us, but the pup there...he was quiet and Domingo felt his props were well deserved so he challenged him.' Charlie shook his head. 'Think it's a good idea?'

'Well, guess we'll see.' LT replied quietly, crossing his arms in intense interest.

'Aye,' Charlie glanced back with a side look, sizing up both men, 'guessin' we will.'
Marthinus T. Steyn 13 years ago
'Oi, pup. Ready?'

Marthinus looked at the young man standing across from him. With the flair of a bull fighter and no doubt the integrity and stamina of the bull itself, Domingo twirled the knives in his hands and gave an impressive display of quick hands and a bravado he hadn't seen since college, although the board room was just as inundated with testosterone. The Pipers enjoyed their fighting and mayhem, but what impressed him was their lack of rivalry and intense camaraderie. These men were brothers, maybe not by blood, but by spirit for sure. He wasn't sure if he fit in, but as he watched the new Piper, Domingo, do his best to isolate himself from the group, Marthinus wagered he fit in better than this new one.

The fact that the other Pipers called him 'Pup' said more than just jocular, and albeit unoriginal, wit; it meant he was one of them. Marthinus knew how the hierarchy of masculinity worked, especially within the Pipers. If you had a nickname, you were one of them. So he'd take 'Pup' with pride, while Domingo was still just Domingo or 'the newbie' which was most definitely not a sign of respect or acceptance.

Marthinus weapon was the shinai. Constructed of 4 pieces of split bamboo, the tip of the shinai is covered in leather; the four staves are held apart by a t-shaped piece of rubber. The staves are held together at the opposite end by a long leather handle. The handle is round rather than oval like a real katana. A leather lace tied in a complicated knot, which Marthinus had to retie himself, about a third of the way from the tip keeps the staves from spreading too far apart. A string runs down one stave -it signifies the dull edge, or back of the sword. The split construction allows the staves to both flex and compress against each other, absorbing much of the energy of the blow. Any attacks that connect would bruise, nothing more, but Marthinus barely raised his weapon as Domingo began to dance nimbly on the balls of his feet, edging closer to him.

Marthinus maintained eye contact, not out of bravado but out of necessity. The eyes were a 'tell', giving him all the information he would need about incoming attacks, but in the end, he wouldn't even need to use his Shinai. So, Marthinus waited.

Once Domingo came within ten feet of him, Marthinus spread his feet apart, not too wide, but enough to let his bare feet grip the dirt beneath him. He was wearing his exercise pants and nothing else, same as Domingo, only he still had his combat boots on which had managed to gather enough of his other opponents sweat and some blood to cake on the tips. They may use fake weapons, but the force behind the attacks were not. Still, Marthinus waited patiently, watching Domingo step forward, then back.

Forward and back.

Domingo twirled the fake knives in his hands, switching them from the reverse grip to fencer to ice-pick, showing off his street fighting techniques. Domingo knew how to use knives and was dangerous as well as agile. So when the impatient expression covered his face and rushed Marthinus out of frustration, Marthinus tipped his head and smiled.
The Pipers 13 years ago
Domingo was at least fifty pounds heavier than Marthinus and had probably been fighting longer than the Pup certainly had been. The rest of the Pipers stood quietly as they watched Domingo grow more and more frustrated with Marthinus lack of action. No jeers, no laughter - they were waiting to see a show, but the suspense was enough to enthrall them into silence. When Marthinus finally moved, it was only to spread his feet apart slightly, and that was more than enough to tip Charlie off to what was coming next.

Charlie had seen something like this before, years ago with the Commander and a Vyusher R'asa. The knives were not dull and the crowd not near as amiable. Marthinus knew more about fighting than he let on, which was odd, but then Charlie hadn't lived in the world that Marthinus had to endure. He gave it to the old man, Marthinus did not provoke fights, but he damn sure finished them.

Everyone waited, holding their breath, some hunched over, and kneeling on the ground.

'20 Domingo gets him in three moves.'

Charlie shoved the Piper for his insolence, '
No bets.'

Finally, Domingo grew irritated and rushed Marthinus, who just stood there, like a Redwood tree, asking to be knocked down, when instead of raising his Shinai, he stepped forward and punched Domingo, square in the face.

The newbie went down like a ton of bricks.

Domingo was flat on his back, shaking the daze from his head, and wiping the blood from his bleeding nose until Marthinus finally lifted his Shinai and held it under his opponent's throat.

It was utterly and completely quiet. Red stood from his kneeling position on the ground and said in a voice full of wonder...

'You are fucking Indiana Jones.'

Suddenly all the men started to clap, laughing, and whooping loud enough to hear them from the Den.
Lothias LT Jameson 13 years ago
It was a clean, yet powerful punch that knocked Domingo back without Marthinus taking more than one step forward. The transformation from man to wolf had completely changed him physically. Six months ago, LT was fairly certain Marthinus couldn't have hit him hard enough to put him on the dirt, or even stop him. Whatever doubts LT had about Marthinus beginning his combat training with the Pipers were erased with that one punch. The other Pipers seemed to think so, as well.

Red began yelling 'JONES!' long and loud, mimicking the scene in the first Indiana Jones. LT didn't quite make the connection until he remembered the scene where, instead of sword fighting, Jones just shot the swordsman. It was more than just adventurous preening on Marthinus part. He had the tell-tale mark of kendo swordsmanship and defensive training, probably in his youth. What a wondrously dangerous world he must have lived in for a businessman to learn how to wield a weapon and mean it.

'Impressive,' he murmured under his breath as he watched Marthinus hold his hand out to Domingo to help him up off the ground.

'I didn't think the old man had it in him,' Charlie added as he stood next to LT. 'You think the vampires taught him that?'

LT smiled - his sergeant had been thinking the same thing. Shaking his head slightly, he looked at the pup in a whole new light. Domingo nearly slapped away Marthinus' offered hand, but LT caught his eye and glared at him. LT had already given him the speech about the Pipers. They were brothers. Period. Marthinus might be one of the few handfuls that wasn't a blood relative, but LT could count on one hand the number of people the Beta had gifted. Besides, Marthinus just did a damn fine job earning his place. Domingo saw the look and reached up, taking Marthinus hand and standing.

LT watched the exchange between the two men. It was smiles all around and a firm handshake and with relief, LT saw the anger drain out of Domingo's face. One less thing to worry about.

'So we're starting Marthinus' training then?' Charlie asked still at LT's side.

'Not combat though.'

'Oh, intel?' Charlie looked back at Marthinus who was receiving congratulatory handshakes from the other Pipers. 'At least we know he wouldn't be completely useless out in the field.'

'Yeah,' LT said, letting his voice drift. 'Gather the Pipers and give them the night off. The remaining replacements won't come for a couple more days.'

'Aye, sir.' Charlie nodded and walked up to the group of men, giving Marthinus a hearty handshake. LT caught Marthinus eye and he nodded to him, signaling a walk.

The crowd dissipated and Marthinus picked up his exercise under-armor shirt, slipping it over his recently renewed body.

'LT,' Marthinus said with his usual soft voice.

'Marthinus. Walk with me?'
Marthinus and LT walked down one of the paths into the Long Run making small talk about the area, training, and his thoughts on the team. This wasn't the point of the conversation; Marthinus knew that, so he waited for the LT to broach the real purpose of the private talk.

He had neglected to put his shoes on. The warm dirt beneath his feet had grown as comfortable as a worn pair of shoes. Marthinus remembered walking barefoot as a young child, but then he just stopped enjoying feeling the ground to the point that it tickled to walk on simple cement sidewalks. His feet had grown so sensitive that he was almost never without even slippers, but now - he reveled in it.

The initial shock of his transformation from human to werewolf was devastating. The raw nature of what he was now had been a social and cultural shock. His life went from living with the wealth of Duibne at his beckon call; the expensive clothes and cars, high pressure CEO position, and the darkness of the vampire nation to the extreme opposite. Possessions became trivial and his newborn eyes soaked up all the nature around him; his natural animal instinct took over and he left the trappings of wealth and material things behind.

Walking barefoot was now a luxury he could afford.

Marthinus walked with his hands behind his back, occasionally reaching out to touch a tree or plant when finally he looked at the LT and spoke plainly.

'If I were you,' he said gently interrupting LT, 'if I were command, rather, the next step for someone like me would be to gauge my interaction within the pack and determine what position would be a natural fit.'

He gave the LT a small smile.

'If I were you.'

Nodding, the LT returned the grin. 'Where did you learn to fight?'

'Have you ever read 'The Sword and The Mind'?'

The LT thought a moment and shook his head.

'You really should. I think you'd like it.' Marthinus naturally reverted back to his nurturing parental side and looked at the LT, accepting what he saw in the man, not what he knew. LT looked maybe twenty - twenty three at the most; a very fit, handsome young man. Marthinus knew he was older, closer to forty with more years of combat training than his youthful age led on. Scratching his balding head, Marthinus shrugged and explained.

'The final state of any discipline is where you forget what you have learned, discard your mind, and accomplish whatever you set out to do without being aware of it yourself. You begin by learning and reach the point where learning does not exist.'

'You'd be surprised how closely related the business world and your world are. I was trained for both by a Dr. Oliver, one of the very best minds in philosophical and psychological treatise on strategy. He specialized in Kendo and taught me to think out of the box, so to speak.

'I'm no match physically for Domingo or any of the Pipers. I'm strong, yes, but they've been doing this longer than I can imagine. But fighting isn't always about physical prowess,' Marthinus pointed to his temple and smiled, 'it's about strategy and sometimes, luck. So, I watched. Everyone has tells, favors certain attacks...you know this.'

LT nodded in agreement.

'I watched Domingo, learned his weaknesses, and decided the best course of action was just to...forget what I learned.'

'I think you've taught the Pipers quite a bit with that one move,' LT said with a little bit of wonder in his voice.

'Just returning the favor, LT.'
LT listened to Marthinus, his full attention on him as the older man spoke. He had considered how he was going to broach the subject of loyalty with Marthinus before actually approaching him, but now he realized that it would be an insult not to just be direct with him. Marthinus was clearly not a 'pup' nor new to any tribulations that life had to offer. The man was clearly appreciative for all the pack had done for him; his training, his life, and their acceptance of his differences. LT would do the man no disrespect.

'You know why I'm here.'

'I do,' Marthinus replied softly.

'Combat is not for you, although I have no doubt that you could hold your own, but to expose you to that kind of danger would be stupid, to put it plainly.'

Marthinus slowed his walk till finally they both faced each other.

'There are things happening within the pack. Things that involve your...old family.' LT's natural instinct was to curse the vampires, but again that would just taint the honest truth of what he was asking. 'Command was attacked by three vampires the other night while at the Preserve.'

Marthinus nodded, 'I heard it was a fierce fight.'

LT nodded and then looked away; trying to temper the anger he was feeling. 'Yes. It was.'

'Who is O'Ringo Ramsey?'

Startled, LT glared back at Marthinus and snapped,
'Don't you ever speak his name in front of me.'

Marthinus flinched back just the tiniest bit but held his ground.

Shaking his head, LT held his hands up apologetically.
'I'm sorry, Marthinus. Uh', he started but sighed exasperated.
Marthinus held up his hand, calming LT down. With a soothing voice he apologized. 'No, please - I shouldn't have been so forward with my questions.'

LT's face flushed with embarrassment, but he still could not look Marthinus in the eye.

'I asked because the name has been floating around, but no one's explained who he is. I looked at the report,' Marthinus said, clearing his throat, 'but again, only a reference to him, not about him.'

If he was going to be a Piper, all the old missions had to be opened up to him, otherwise he'd walk into dangerous situations without even knowing it. He had been reading the open back mission files, but it appeared that they had not run into Ramsey for some years. The most recent mention was at least twenty years back.

It was obvious, to Marthinus at least, that O'Ringo Ramsey was no friend of the Pipers.

'Who is he to you, LT?'

'He's been a thorn in the pack's side for longer than I've been around. He's old, not as old as the CO or the Beta, but he's been around.'

'But who is he...to you?'

Marthinus touched that sensitive spot again and LT glared at him with cold, steel eyes.
Licking his lips slowly, LT redirected their path back toward the Den. When he finally spoke, it was as even tempered as reading a grocery list, but LT knew he could not mask the pain on his face.

With a sigh, he started, 'He goes by Ringo and he's a Vyusher R'asa. I've known him for as long as I could remember, even before my father gifted me, shortly before Ringo killed my parents.'

Marthinus' face paled, but he had the sense not to speak.

'I was 10 when my parents died. First my father, then my mother, but they were linked back to someone on Ringo's team, the Nakubili. VR's version of us, supposedly. Nothing Ringo does is original, by the way.' LT shook his head with a roll of his eyes.

'As far as I know, a Nakubili became involved with my mother and he killed my father for her.' LT's voice tightened. 'I look like my father, who was the younger, spitting image of the Commander. But my mother,' he sighed, staring off into the forest talking softly as if into the wind, 'my mother was beautiful. Red hair, snow white skin, and freckles on her cheeks.'

LT smiled recalling the few memories of his mother. The bitter resentment had long since faded regarding what his mother ultimately initiated with that beauty.

'I don't blame her for what happened. My father was always gone with the Pipers; he was the LT at the time with Uncle Brig. But when my mother left, father went after her. My Uncle and the Beta went after him. The next thing I knew, I was an orphan.'

They were quiet for a few minutes as LT stared at the ground, struggling with his memories. 'The family Elders weren't quite sure what to do with me, until the Commander said he'd raise me and the Beta backed him.' Swallowing he added, 'Uncle Brian never spoke about what they did, but...I know.'

'They went after the Nakubili who did it,' Marthinus said.

'Yeah,' he paused, 'and they killed him. The Commander and Beta. Ringo had everything to do with it.'

'How do you know?'

LT looked at Marthinus and gave him a sad smile.
'Ringo told us he made his Nakubili do it.'

'He forced his man to seduce your mother and they killed your father. Because...he could?'

LT shrugged. 'Maybe it was to insult the families, hurt the Beta...because the Lord told him and he is the left hand of God,' he sneered, recalling Ringo's calling card.

'I don't recall the left hand of God being a good thing, but a twisted opposite of good.'

'He's a bit of a show boating idiot, yeah.'
Marthinus considered what LT had told him. He wanted to learn more about Oringo Ramsey and his Nakubili. There was something there, something beyond retribution that intrigued him. He was snapped out of reverie when the LT finally came to the point and asked again about the vampires.

'I read the report and the description of them.' Marthinus shook his head slowly. 'Really they don't sound familiar, but that doesn't mean anything. Tacharan is known for its...turnover, so to speak. But from their abilities, they sound older than my grandfather's clan. Could be Evenhet. Could be Anantya. But if it is the latter, we'll be up against a powerful and old clan. I'll make some inquiries.'

This is what they wanted from him; more information about the vampires. Marthinus could not help but keep the information he had on a need to know basis. It was no longer a world he could exist in, but he wouldn't betray it at the first chance. He had been clear to Hammer and the Commander, but here they were, again, asking for more. His next words were cautious.

'I understand the benefits of having someone in my position in the vampire world now in the werewolves, but,' Marthinus paused, trying to find the exact words, 'my loyalty to them should not be seen as an obstacle, but as a testament to my dedication to the Pack.

'I would be worth nothing if I couldn't keep a secret, LT, but I understand what you want from me...just as long as the pack, my new family, understands that I would not be the man I am today without the vampires. Kadzait has my loyalty and I will help.'
LT liked Marthinus even more after they spoke. He was definitely a business man with whom not to fuck as well as a skilled fighter and he took his captivity in the vampire world as not a bad thing, but a step toward something greater. They had provided him with education, a means to support himself and his family, and kept him alive when he should have died...twice. They had taken everything away from him, as well as given to him. Marthinus didn't see the downside to anything; he just kept making lemonade.

'That's all we ask, Marthinus.'

LT reached out and shook his newest Pipers hand.