Pre-dawn Run ((attn: A Piper))

Kai had frittered away her Sunday at the Waterfront shopping and had, in that endeavor, ordered a surfboard that would be ready for her by Saturday. She was incredibly excited, as she'd had to leave her's back home because it was too precious to risk to airport handlers.

She'd been exhausted when she'd gone to bed at a very early, still daylight, eight o'clock. At 3:45 her alarm clock buzzed and she sprang from her bed, like this was Christmas morning and Santa had come. She puzzled a moment at that reaction. Maybe it was the prospect of learning something new, or the nerves from the knowledge that she would be deciding someone's future, she didn't know.

Shrugging, she dressed in the standard attire of gray running shorts, red sport bra, socks and jogging shoes, and pulled her hair into a ponytail. She jogged down out of her room to the forest's edge. It was still dark and she grinned, she'd not changed since the full moon, and as she thought it, she felt the familiar itch between her shoulder blades that let her know the wolf wanted out.

Laughing softly, she ducked into the trees and removed her clothing, folding it neatly. She could only hope she would be able to find it when it was time to head back inside. Relaxing, she let the wolf have its way, and when all was said and done she lay on her side breathing heavily for a moment, before popping up and running headlong into the woods.

Wolfish laughter left her when she found a rabbit trail, and she went from running idiot to rabbit hunter. She clamped her teeth around more laughter, as Elmer Fudd spoke in her head. The rabbit trail lead her to another trail that smelled of wolf and pack. It was fresh and curiosity had her following it.

Brig Jameson 13 years ago
He could not sleep. With the recent events concerning the Alpha and his mate, including Hammer's odd behavior as of late, Brig needed to run off his agitation and had done so since the moon had risen high in the sky that evening. He felt his run was coming to a close when he decided on one last hysterical race around the perimeter of the Long Run. Sprinting at his top speed made him feel like flying, but more importantly, it made him feel young again.

Brig threw himself through the trees, darting in and out like a slalome, narrowly avoiding crashing into the thick tree trunks. His eyes were tearing as he happily barked into the wind, caring little for what was around him, prey or pack members; he just wanted to fly.
Kai 13 years ago
Kai could track prey with the best of them, that had never been trouble for her. No the trouble lay in making it back home when the hunt was over. Still she followed the trail and quickly realized her quary was not being stealthy in his movement and so Kai began to pick up her pace chasing the phantom wolf.

As she followed, the messy trail encouraged her to run, and before long she was running as fast as her four legs could carry her, his scent, well she assumed it was male, was thick in her nose. Before long she heard a bark, that encouraged her even more and without thinking she returned the bark with one of her own. He was pack after all.
Brig shut his eyes once he reached a clear valley that dipped into the land, squeezing the glaring tears out of eyes when he heard the return bark. Immediately he slowed, cautious of who it was, and circled the clearing, waiting for the inevitable pack member to make an appearance. His heart was racing from his run, but he tempered his hackles. It was a friendly return bark, not a territorial one, so he circled in a trot, waiting.
Kai 13 years ago
Crashing with out heed through the woods was freeing. It had been a while since she'd run full out like this and was enjoying the feel of it. The land dipped and opened into a clearing.

Instinct had her dropping to her belly, just on the edge. Her chest heaved with her exertion and she spent a few moments catching her breath, before poking her head up to look around.

She didn't see anyone, but that didn't mean there wasn't some one there. Beside, she didn't think her phantom wolf would have just shot across the clearing, but then she had no idea as she didn't know him.

So, to let him know she was there, and not to startle him, she barked again, a high friendly sound.
Brig moved casually toward the center of the clearing and shook out his fur. It was a female, one with a scent he had caught here and there within the Den, but one that he had not met yet. Trotting slowly over to her, he lifted his head high and barked at her, asserting his dominance, as if to ask 'who are you'.
Kai 13 years ago
He was very lovely, all reddish brown, with gray scattered about. She remained very still as she watched him cross to her. She did not consider herself dominate by any stretch of the imagination, so when he barked she dropped her ears and whined softly.

'See, I mean no harm.' She followed that by a soft little bark. A sort of, 'hi! I'm Kai.' Though she knew he had no idea what she'd said in her head when she barked out loud. The thought made her smile, a big wolfy smile.
Brig's blue eyes watched her with amusement - she was young with very beautiful golden fur. He tried to picture her in human form and guessed she was probably a light brunette with blue eyes. Circling her, he gave her a quick appraisal and snarled a soft bark at her, nudging at her ribs.

Follow me...

Brig started off to the edge of the clearing again, but doubled back to encourage her to follow him with a single bark. If she were hungry, she could easily break off if she caught scent of prey nearby, otherwise she would meet him at the Den, he wagered. He was hoping for a race though, to get the last bit of adrenaline out of him before retiring for an early morning nap.

He dug his feet into the ground, back and forth, trying to convey his excitement for more running.
Kai 13 years ago
Kai stood when he nudged her, electric excitement shooting through her, making her shake out her fur.

He wanted her to follow! She trotted after him, and when he indicated more running she obliged. Darting past him with a delighted bark.
Brig did a double take as she darted passed him with youthful speed, forcing him to almost slip as he dug his paws into the dirt to shoot off after her. She already had a good twenty-thirty feet ahead of him when he shot off like a bullet at his full speed. He came up around her on the right, his tongue hanging out of his mouth as he felt his second wind kick in, giving him an extra boost to pass her.

Again the trees flew by as he tried to maintain his lead, pushing through thick brush, letting thin, low hanging branches whip him in the snout . They crossed one of the smaller brooks near the Den and they splashed through it, dirtying his underbelly, water whipping out to the sides.

Brig pushed off again to the right while the female shot forward, already gaining ground on him, but also thoroughly distracting him as he noticed her slim form and the muscles in her flanks. A quick look turned into a long appraisal, just as they reached the outskirts of the Den. The path brought them back together, side by side, and her scent was so hard and fresh in his nostrils that he completely missed a fallen tree branch directly in his path and he tripped over it, sending him muzzle first in the dirt as she broke through the thin line of trees that opened up into the Den's clearing.
Kai 13 years ago
This was fun! She'd not raced with another wolf since the last full moon back home, and those wolves had been girls, and not as athletically inclined as she, so she'd beat them easily. This guy was giving her a run for her money and she pushed just as hard as she could to keep even paced with him.

With a delighted bark, she broke free of the woods and turned her head to look for him, but he wasn't there anymore. A whimper left her, and she doubled back and found him shaking dirt from his muzzle.

Laughter chuffed from her and she went over and nudged his shoulder with her nose, yipped, shifting from foot to foot, challenging him to race the rest of the way.
If wolves could blush, he would be right then.

Shaking the dirt from his fur, the female bounced back happily, encouraging him to finish the race, one that she had clearly won. With a final shake that reached the tip of his tail, he pushed forward at reasonable speed to reach the clearing with her, pride just barely intact.

He had left a pair of jeans and a red cotton tee near the edge of the clearing and trotted over to it. Brig shook slightly as he reigned in the wolf in him, feeling his body burst with tense trembling, returning him to human form. Brig ignored the fact that he was six foot five and stark naked, ironically something that made him blush less than crashing mid race, and stretched out to his full height before picking up his jeans and stepping into them. He watched the female as he then grabbed his shirt and pulled it over his torso - his arms and chest as wide as a mac truck, he took solace in the fact that he had the physique of a man 1/4 of his age. It would make up for the embarrassing fall, to say the least.

Running his hands up his face and through his short crew cut with a grin, he waited for the female to either change back in front of him (oh he had high hopes) or cut away to do it in private.
Kai 13 years ago
They finished their little race and Kai trotted happily after him, tongue lolling to the side, a happy smile perking her ears up. He stopped, and began to change, and she...just...watched...him! What was she thinking? But, oh my...she was glad she did.

He towered over her, and not just because she was still a wolf. He was just big, so...very big. He dressed. She watched. Still not entirely certain why, but not really minding the view, and he was watching her. It occurred to her that he was waiting for her to do the same. Crap.

She looked out at the forest's edge and didn't recognize it from down here, and had no idea where her clothes were. She should have left them in the clearing somewhere visible. And she wasn't about to go sniffing out her own trail to find them. Crap.

Another whimper left her and she flopped to the ground, pushed the wolf away and suffered through the pain of change. When her body was back to the way it had been born, she faced him in a crouch, pink coloring her cheeks.
"I don't remember where I left my clothes."
Brig's grin turned into a full on smile as she crouched in front of him, blushing from her exposure. This was clearly a problem, only not for him. However, he was a gentleman. Taking his shirt back off, he held it out to her politely.

'Well then cover your shame, woman,' he said in a half chuckle.

She quickly took his shirt and stood to slip it over head. 'Oh my,' he thought to himself as he noticed just how petite she was, compared to him anyway. Her skin was tanned although he'd call it sun kissed, definitely. He mentally snapped his fingers just then, recalling something LT had mentioned about a newcomer who worked down at the waterfront. This must be her.

'You must be Kai.' His shirt covered her down to her knees (sadly, he thought). Holding his hand out, he introduced himself. 'I'm Brig. Nice to meet you.'
Kai 13 years ago
She felt the blush darken, damn it to hell, she hated blushing. "I'm not shamed, but thanks."

His shirt engulfed her to her knees and smelled of him, and she took a moment to fill her nose with his human scent. She liked it, much too much.

"Nice to meet you too Brig.

She shook his hand, and that swallowed her too. He was just big, and she kind of liked it. Huh, how long had it been since she'd been attracted to anyone? Too long ago to actually remember. How incredibly sad.

She looked around the clearing again, and honestly could not figure out from this angle where she'd gone into the woods at. She'd have to stand at the back of the Den and retrace her steps. Oh, well she'd do it later. Right now, her body was a bit too keyed up to go looking for a pile of clothes.

Instead she stepped a little bit closer.
"How'd you know who I am?"
...and has no problems with personal space, he thought, finishing his appraisal of her. Her train of thought was a little disappointing, him standing half naked in all his glory and she was more suspicious about where he had gotten his information. Was he losing his touch? Egads, he chuckled to himself.

'You met my nephew, LT? And as I recall, you enjoy thinly sliced raw beef.' LT had been quick to mention this tid bit of information to his Uncle. Brig snorted recalling his nephew blushing. 'Something about moaning...?'

He was teasing her and enjoying it. He had misjudged her hair, he realized. Sandy blond as opposed to light brown. There was a distinct difference he noted. His shirt was loose on her but still managed to hint suggestively at her curves. Good god, let her be single.
Kai 13 years ago
She let that encounter come to the forefront of her mind and grinned. "Ah, yes he was preceded by a very rowdy group of boys. Nice guy, kept calling me Miss."

The recollection of her meal did not embarrass her nearly as much as not knowing where her clothes were located. She gave a one armed shrug. "There isn't any point in doing something if you don't enjoy it. If I appreciate something, I show it."

Kai's grin became a little less happy remembering and a little more 'standing in front of a very attractive guy half naked'. "It never hurt a person to moan, when delighted."
'Uh...well...ok,' Brig sputtered not a little bit confused about the tone, and implication, of her words. Suddenly he felt very naked. Reaching up with his right hand, he rubbed his bare left shoulder and looked back at the Den.

'I appreciated the run. Not often I can get someone to run at those break neck speeds with me. Certainly not the Beta.' Hammer did more damage plowing through the trees than avoiding them, which completely missed the point of his run, but that was his cousin - head first with nothing but brawn and muscle behind him.

'We should get you back and find your clothes.' Hooking his arm out, he offered it to her with his best disarming smile. She returned his smile and tucked her arm around his and they walked back to the Den's porch deck. The morning sun was still a ways away, but not of the early risers had appeared yet. Her human scent wafted up to him as he felt the warmth of her body pressed up against his arm. She was a foot shorter, but then most women were at his height. With his bare chest practically in her face, he tried not to let the blush that was threatening to overcome him.

It was just nice to be out with a beautiful woman. One that understood his secrets and had her own. Speaking of which, he decided to break the silence that had engulfed them with a few questions.

'So what brings you here, to Nachton?'

((ooc permission to move))
Kai 13 years ago
"It was my pleasure, I haven't gotten to do that in a really long time."

The clothes thing, she was just going to let slide for now, she was not about to admit to him that forgetting really wasn't her issue in not being able to find them. "Sure."

Walking next to him was a lesson in feeling short, in a not so intimidating kind of way. It had been a while since she'd walked next to someone with such thoughts on her mind, and she was reveling in it just a bit.

"I was lured here with promises of research boats and diving expeditions."

They stepped up onto the porch and he opened the door for her. Stepping inside she debated briefly about letting him walk her up to her room or not. Well she was the one in need of clothes wasn't she? And she should give him back his shirt as soon as possible shouldn't she? "What I ended up with was running the University Aquarium. So far I haven't seen a single boat."

She pouted a bit, never really loosing her smile, as they started across the common area.
Passing freshly baked muffins, he heard the shuffling of feet from the kitchen and his stomach growled for breakfast. Hammer would be down soon with his pile of scrambled eggs and someone had to watch him eat it. He quickly picked up a small banana nut muffin and popped it into his mouth.

Chewing around his food he said,
'I wonder if it's unusual for one of us to enjoy the water so much. But I agree with you - the eastern sea board is lovely. Definitely warmer.' Swallowing, he considered her employment and scoffed at the idea that she had yet to see a boat.

'It's summer time - I'm sure the boats are all out! I know I'd be enjoying the sea if I could.' Actually, he could enjoy the sea. The Pipers had been reactivated, but as far as patrolling went, the Commander didn't need to get his hands dirty, not that he didn't enjoy that.

'My boys are out and about, but the CO need not join them.' He took her hand and walked her to the stairs, assuming that she was going up to change. 'If you do find a boat and are looking for an able body, please feel free to call on me. I've been known to be three-sheets-to-the-wind and uh...bear down on a thing or two.'

He flashed her his most charming, boyish smile and clasped his large hands around her small one.
Kai 13 years ago
Kai actually managed not to wrinkle her nose in distaste as he popped a muffin in his mouth. She just couldn't make herself eat baked goods, and if they warm... She suppressed the shiver that accompanied that thought.

"You know you're not the first person to wonder that." She shrugged and smiled at him. "There's just something about the ocean that I love unlike anything else in the world."

She know her voice was a little awe-filled and she didn't mind in the least. It was what it was.

His next comment had her shoving his shoulder playfully.
"Yes, they look lovely through my office window. I mean the inside of one. I haven't been out on the water since coming to Nachton. I miss it."

Cocking her hip she leaned against the post at the foot of the stairs. She couldn't help but laugh, bear down indeed. She could think of a few things she'd like him to bear down on. Oh, my...that was a bit too much even for her blunt way of looking at life.

She stood there for a moment, and inspiration struck her, and she didn't think Drew would mind over much if she invited some one too.
"I'm getting a few people out on a boat on Saturday. Want to come?"