Bad Moon Rising (PM for invite)

Mara took note of Dana's warbrobe change as they ran; she picked up the pace from a jog to a run once the younger vampire seemed content with the changes she'd made. The park wasn't far; already they were close to the grounds. A narrow strip of woodland spat them out across the baseball diamond; Mara ran across the turf without a thought and over the parking lot beyond. Amir wasn't here. He would be further in.

They crossed the second parking lot and Mara saw a familiar car pulling up. She skidded to a halt, waiting impatiently for Bao to emerge, dancing from foot to foot.

Bao 13 years ago
Bao was more than slightly irritated, both with Amir and with Subira. Anything he thought he might be imagining was suddenly confirmed, at least to his mind it was. This was suicide and she knew it. He knew it. He knew full well that he and Mara were risking their necks for Amir. Bao, however, wasn't sure how much Amir would appreciate it. Well that, they would worry about later.

Fortunately, he had been at the Manor when he'd gotten his sister's call. While he'd not wasted any time, he had at least changed from his suit to something more appropriate. It was hardly armor, he wasn't often called on to fight as Amir was, but it would be something between himself and fangs if it came to that. He'd also put a silver bracelet on each wrist and put silver chain in his pocket before taking two Kodachis, one intended for Mara, of his wall and then completely ignoring the speed limit. It might not be the ideal weapon but he suspected she had nothing at all with her.

Parking his car, he quickly spotted Mara and stood before her. She was obviously agitated. He also noted Dana and was more than slightly surprised to see her. However, he gave no reaction and was, as always stoic and unreadable. Despite the fact that his feeling rather mirrored Mara's body language.

"What do we know exactly? And I am sure you intend to go in after him."Â?

As did Bao. He'd not leave his maker to face this alone Subira be damned.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara grimaced at Bao. "We don't know much. Something about Subira testing Amir. Of course he would see that," she half hissed, half groaned. Amir's pride was about to be the death of him.

That said, she looked to Dana; it was she who had lest seen Amir that evening. If there was anything to add, she was certain Dana would speak up. She and Mara might not be on the best of terms but Dana clearly cared for Amir.

"I do intend to go after him. He's good, but I don't know how his luck will run."

She shivered in the moonlight, well aware that they may not find Amir at all, but ashes on the wind.
Dana 13 years ago
Dana halted her run just in time to not run through Mara. She watched Bao leave his vehicle and sighed a small bit of relief.

Their exchange was quick and then suddenly they were looking at her.

"Ah... Long story short." She blinked several times, and sighed. "While I was sleeping he recieved a phone call. I caught only the end of it with him reassuring someone in rather irritated tones that he 'could handle it.' "

She swallowed flushing a little as the next words left her. "When he came back to bed, he wasn't himself. He said he usually understood her methods, but this one he did not, so it must be a test. A test to see if the last time had been luck or skill."

Her hands came together and began twist around each other. "I tried to get him to tell me more, but he declined. I offered my services, but he rightly told me I was not yet ready to face the wolves. And tasked me with gathering information."

Her pleading eyes met Bao's "I'm sorry, but that is all I know."
Bao 13 years ago
"I doubt anyone's luck is that good tonight."Â?

Bao cast a meaningful glance at the full moon before giving his attention to Dana.

"God damned the both of them."Â?

Bao cursed to himself under his breath. Was Subira threatened by Amir? Was she tired of him? And had he totally lost his mind to be blindly accepting this order?

His dark scowl softened slightly and he nodded to Dana.

"That is more than we did know. I'm afraid he is right and this will be no place for you tonight."Â?

It was no place for any of them tonight, and yet here there were. He hoped that Dana would understand that what he had said and Amir had told her were for her safety and well-being. She was improving but this... this was well beyond her skill range.

He opened the trunk and opened it, giving Mara her choice of blades.

"We go in together."Â?

It was not a question. Bao was not about to sit on the sidelines right now.

"Dana, I hate to ask this of you but it may be best if you wait for us. We may need to make a quick get away once we find him."Â?

He doubted she would appreciate the request, but he hoped she would see the wisdom. If she insisted on coming, however, he'd not waste time convincing her to stay. They would also, however, not be able to help protect her mush if they encountered a pack rather than individuals.

((OOC... red is Vietnamese))
Dana 13 years ago
Dana bowed her head in resignation. It was not the best choice, but it was the smartest. She knew they were right, they were all right and she was intensely angry at Lady Erin for not giving her the right tools for this. It was misplaced anger, but it was all she had at the moment.

"I will stay, for now." She looked back up at Bao. "I'm sorry it is the best I can do. I will not ignore horrible sounds because you asked me to stay with the car. I will not engage a wolf, if it is possible to avoid them, but I will come in and drag you out if I can."

She spread her arms wide in a gesture of surrender. It was all she could offer.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara looked back and forth from Bao to Dana. Then she turned, gave a soft sigh, and said to the fair-haired woman, "You should come."

It would be safer this way. Better to have Dana with them than to have her try and make her way across the Park alone. Mara didn't think Dana was helpless, just - not ready to wander around the preserve under a full moon by herself. Far better to have companionship. The buddy system had not died.

Amir would have disapproved, surely, but Amir wasn't here. Amir was following what had to be the top contender for the Stupidest Order of the Year award. Mara was vexed with him; he was so busy trying to prove his worth, something he had done a thousand times over, that he hadn't seen the true reason for this.

"Let's not waste time."

She gave Bao a nod of thanks and selected a kodachi from the trunk, then turned and headed down across the beach toward the woodland, listening behind her for however many pairs of feet decided to follow. Dana had seemed confident in her ability to remain hidden; hopefully she would use those skills to their fullest.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao cursed Dana for a fool. She was letting her heart rule her head and that was something they could -not- afford right now. But he also agreed with Mara's assessment, better to take her than leave her to follow them. No doubt Amir would be less than pleased with them brining her. But Amir was busy being a different kind of idiot. Either way he nodded his agreement.

He didn't say anything else at all. He simply took the other kodachi and joined Mara, not quite following but silently waking his way into the woods with his sister and his maker's lover. His ears were alert for anything that might give them a clue as to where Amir might be, and how much trouble he might be in
Dana 13 years ago
Relief washed through her. She did not ask for armament, she would not be able to use it anyway. As the two started away, she closed her eyes, sighed softly, and lost hold of her corporeal body and became a soft gray mist. From afar she would look like an odd lone fog cloud. Opening her "eyes" she raced to catch up to Bao. She would rather follow her teacher and employer than Mara, still not completely trusting of Amir's eldest child.

Bao knew of her abilities and would not be as startled by the little cloud bobbing at his shoulder as Mara might have been. Fear and anxiety rushed through her as they ghosted through the woods.
Xeph 13 years ago
Xeph hadn't necessarily wanted to come out tonight, but he couldn't tell his family why. He wasn't about to admit he was reluctant to be in the park at all. And, as the moon rose and he lost a great deal of inhibition, he decided they would be all right.

Hunting in a pack was always preferable, anyhow. There was safety in numbers and they could handle anything that came their way. The four of them, then, gave in to their baser urges and let the moon's sway wash over them. Lily, Hammer, and Nikhila had accompanied him on this occasion. Although there hadn't been too much hunting yet, it was good to be out under the moon, even if they were all looking about in shades of red.
Lily 13 years ago
Lily, completely overtaken by the madness of the moon, had surrendered to instinct the moment they had reached the preserve. They followed Aidan, not bothering to be subtle, charging through the forest in their small pack. Lily didn't understand what Aidan's aim was, but she didn't need to. He blood was coursing fast through her veins, she was alive and strong, and there would be blood tonight. That was all she needed. Turning her head, she snapped her jaws playfully at Hammer. While she recognized Aidan as the Alpha, she knew Hammer's scent anywhere. It clung to his fur, to her fur, and told her that they were paired. There was no need to feel threatened here. The madness was at bay with these wolves, enough so that she saw them as companions and not rivals.

She drew up suddenly though, a sharp bark coming from her throat. There was something here. Some scent. She recognized it, her keener-than-average senses triggering a thought.

They had been out, Aidan had wanted something from them. She had smelled this, and she had tried to warn them. What was it, though? She hadn't recognized it but it had been acrid and pungent to her then, as it was now. She associated it with death.

Lily dropped her nose to the forest floor, whuffed around, and found a track in the damp earth. She pawed it and growled. This was important. She knew it.
Iov Hammerthynn 13 years ago
Hammer shook painfully with the change and let it consume him as his human skin rippled and fell away, revealing the enormous graying reddish wolf with one gray eye and its matching scarred one. He immediately fell in step with his mate, glaring back at her with his angry eye and put a shoulder to her flank, but softly. The moon's sway filled him with his animal urges, but he followed the Alpha toward an unseen destination, his mind hoping it would lead to food.

Suddenly his white female stopped and began sniffing the ground, her hackles up and her growl agitated. Her senses were far keener than his own, his being size and strength as the small pack's protector. In the distance he heard a familiar howl calling, ebbing closer, and he watched for his cousin, sniffing the air for his scent as he stood guard over his mate.
Brig Jameson 13 years ago
Brig took a different path to the reserve to meet up with his cousin and the Alpha. He succumbed to the change and began his hunt with the Pipers early. They had drifted off to the opposite side of the reserve, letting their Commander break off to meet the small pack huddled with the Alpha.

He tore through the woods, pushing his speed hard and fast, his feet barely touching the earth as he dodged in between in the trees, taking leaps over fallen stumps and skirted the edges of the small lakes within the park. The change was glorious to him and the hunt refreshed him, making him feel young and new. Brig approached a small hill and dug his claws to the top, stopping to a skid. He silently listened for a moment, sniffing the air, trying to catch the scent of his cousin...and there it was, the musky smell of the Beta drifting through the air, lighting it like colors in the wind. Brig howled - long and soft, signaling to his cousin he was near. Then he was off again, shooting through the trees like a missile.

It was a quarter of a mile separating them and he easily cut a path through the reserve directly to them. Playfully his hackles rose as he jumped through the air, landing a few feet away from his cousin.

Immediately Brig felt his cousin's companion's agitation. Lily, his mind told him, was the white female chasing after a scent on the forest floor. Brig snapped at Hammer, challenging his position next to Lily and Hammer snapped back with equal tenacity, if not more.

Then he caught it, the soft scent that Lily was digging at. Conceding to Hammer's territorial stance, he lowered his head and approached Lily cautiously, Hammer's gnarled eye seemingly watching him. The scent wafted toward him again and he dug his nose in the ground next to Lily's feet, nudging her away from where she was digging to taste the fresh smell in his mind.
Oringo Ramsey 13 years ago
Ringo stood naked, basking in the warmth of the Luna goddess in the sky, as he let her rage rip through him, strengthen him with her glory. With Her strength came the Lord's ability to resist her sway and Ringo knelt down, easing his wolf mandibles through the change and tore the neck of the frightened doe that he just brought down with his bare human hands.

The urge to gorge and let Luna have her way with him was almost overwhelming, but tonight Ringo was searching instead of hunting. Kadzait had encroached onto the pack's territory, granted it was an unwritten rule Ringo was holding his nemesis brothers to, but just because they were ignorant, did not make them innocent.

Ringo's black skin glistened in the moon light, and now with the taste of fresh kill's blood in his mouth, he silently ran toward the pack of Kadzait gathered nearby. And in the darkness, twelve more deadly shadows followed him.
Nikhila 13 years ago
Aware that she wouldn't be able to enjoy her wolf side much longer Nikhila was very much enjoying the moon's pull tonight. The lusts that the moon stirred up weren't only for violence and blood. She had started by slow rubbing her body under her mates chin, wanting some attention. However, aware of the others and of the fact that he was apparently distracted Nikhila gave over to other needs. She ran with the others anxious to hunt, anxious for a kill.

Lily's bark brought her up short. She paused a respectful distance away. Whatever Lily had found it was not game, this was not how to communicate that. It was apparently an issue though. Nikhila did not invade Hammer and Lily's space though, instead she trotted back towards Xeph with a slightly concerned whine.

A howl signaled another was arriving. He arrived she recognized him as part of the pack, and not a threat. Still he challenged Hammer. Nikhila watched the exchange between Brig and Hammer, with an odd satisfaction. Although, it made her slightly wary to approach the three too closely. She caught just a hint of what they had them so anxious. It didn't belong here. It prodded at her more reasonable self, but she wasn't ready to let go of the madness just yet.
Lily 13 years ago
Lily moved aside, leaning gently against Iov as Brig examined the scent. It was impossible to change right now; how could she tell him that this was the smell she had found that night, months ago, at the scene of their two dead Packmates' murders? She growled again, teeth flashing, and turned to Aidan.

It was the full moon. They wanted a hunt, didn't they? She glanced at Nikhila, slightly worried, but there were five of them, and only one killer.

She led the way, as always, the position of "leader" very malleable for the wolves. At the moment it was Lily, her sense of smell driving her to find the person who had left it. She growled once more; there was blood in the air too. She caught the faint metallic tang of it. Not strong enough, yet, for the others to grasp, but soon.
Xeph 13 years ago
Xeph was very aware of the wolves around him, but none more so than Nikhila. He knew she wanted his attention, but there would be time for that later. He nuzzled her gently and then turned to watch with interest as Lily seemed to find something interesting. There was an urgent need about her. She was trying to communicate something to them but there was no way to make herself understood in this form. Brig appeared and the two commiserated, and then Lily took off into the forest.

With a glance at Nikhila, Xeph followed, loping easily along. Before too many minutes had passed he caught a whiff of something fairly normal. Blood, the scent unmistakable. Under a full moon, with so many of them running around, why should it concern her now, of all times? Surely there were kills happening in different parts of the vast preserve.

Lily seemed to think it important, though, so Xeph cocked his head at Nikhila in the equivalent of a shrug and continued along.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir straightened and cleaned the blade of his kilij once more. It had done good work tonight. Subira couldn't help but be happy. Three more wolves had fallen to his blade, a total of seven for the night. His objective had been to send a message and he had done so.

He looked down on the dead body with uncaring eyes. It looked human now, but the reality was so much more, and so dangerous. Shaking his head he sheathed the sword onto his back and turned quickly as a long, low howl echoed through the trees.

He'd made a mess of their forest tonight; that howl could have been someone discovering his work. It was time to make his way to safer ground. The longer he remained, the more danger he was in. That was a selfish thought, maybe, but he couldn't see what good his death would do the Clan at this particular moment in time. Subira had charged him with making an impression upon the stubborn wolves, and Amir couldn't help but feel he'd accomplished that goal tonight.

He rolled the corpse away with his booted foot. On the underside of an embankment leading up into the forest, he'd chased this particular wolf in order to make his kill. He'd have to climb back up or go around the long way, and he didn't like the idea of prolonging this excursion. Already the night was half over.

The sound of running feet, however, caused him to rethink his strategy as he climbed up toward the wooded ground. More than one pair. Coming fast, coming close. Apparently he had, after all, drawn some attention.

He pressed his back up against the embankment and waited. They were upon him quickly and he couldn't tell how many there were; all he knew was that as the first shape flew overhead he had an opportunity he couldn't pass up.

The kilij was out of its sheath in less time than it took his undead heart to beat, and it flashed upwards once, twice. There was a sharp bark and a fountain of hot blood, and the gracefully leaping wolf face-planted itself in the dusty soil and lay unmoving, a white shape drenched in blood.

Amir stepped away from the embankment and looked up as the next set of beating paws approached.
Iov Hammerthynn 13 years ago
Lily taking lead made Hammer's hackles rise, not with anger but with intense fear. Something was leading her, something he couldn't pick up, but Brig could. Her anxiety drove her forward and Hammer stayed as close to her as he could without crowding her. In the end, it wouldn't matter.

The smell of blood invaded his nostrils, causing him to jerk his head back and inadvertently giving Lily more of a lead than he had wanted. His gallop slowed and he shook his head, trying to absorb the amount of blood he was smelling when Lily cried out in howling pain.

Both Hammer and Brig snapped to attention, digging their paws into the dirt and launching forward toward Lily's yelp when they came upon the interloper. Their reddish brown hackles stood stick straight and their snarling jaws snapped at the lone figure. Hammer rolled his shoulders as he lowered himself low to the ground, resisting the urge to blindly attack and appreciating his caution as he saw the twinkle of moon light off the long, sharp blade, and the scent of silver itched his nose.

The interloper was covered in silver.

Hammer growled, twitching his head, signaling Brig to circle around as much as he could to corner it. This was a vampire, he had no doubt. No human would be stupid enough to try out their kung fu in this city.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir didn't look at the fallen wolf; he was instead occupied with the two he saw now. One was unmistakably familiar; a scarred face with one glinting eye. Amir's teeth flashed in the moonlight as he grinned at the wolf. As the second one moved, presumably to get into a better position, Amir flipped one of his knives from its sheath and gripped it firmly.

It would be foolish to wait for the one-eyed wolf's companion to reach a more advantageous position. As it moved away, Amir spun and lashed out at it, keeping a wary eye on the scarred wolf but delivering the warning blow to the second one.

He'd faced two wolves before, but these two, if he was correct, would be something else again.
Xeph 13 years ago
Following a few lengths behind Hammer and Brig, Nikhila at his side, Xeph didn't think anything of their run until he heard a sharp, short cry of pain. Immediately he darted forward, skidding to a halt between Brig and Hammer at the top of an embankment. His eyes took in a disturbing sight; his mother lay unmoving on the ground beyond, and between them stood the jackal-vampire, armed to the teeth, a knowing look in his dark eyes.

Xeph crouched and growled, the sound issuing from deep in his throat. The jackal, this time, was dressed for a fight. Xeph could smell the blood on him. It was spattered down one side of his face; it had seeped into his gloves and jacket. He held a sword with a wicked flare near the base, and that too was dark with blood. His off hand wielded a short knife, held backward along his forearm. Xeph didn't doubt he knew how to use it.

And it didn't matter to him. With the advantage of height, he barked once at Hammer, and then shot off the edge of the slight drop, wary of the sword and knife, aiming directly for the vampire. He was fast, Xeph knew, but perhaps being occupied with Xeph would give Brig and Hammer the opportunity to take him down.