..The Very Next Day (attn Mara, invite only)

Perched on the back of her baby, the Lil Bird that was, Pak probably made an odd sight. Her hair was up in a very sever pony tail, she had on one of her best suits and some semi sensible shoes but as she sat on the trunk, her feet carefully on the bumper she was hunched in a pose nearly identical to The Thinker. And thinking she was.

There was a meeting back on the west coast, it would be at least three days and she knew she needed to be there. However, she was reluctant to leave Nachton. OK she was down right edgy, especially because it would send her right back out there to -him-. Of course, she'd seen him around town a few times now maybe she'd be safer out there. Maybe she should just send her second in command. However, Pak was just as reluctant to admit any fear or weakness, Kem would hear about it and she didn't want him worrying.

Sighing, but not moving, she mentally pulled a tiny can of crab out of her brief case and cracked it open. It was oddly natural, seeking out the cat that had taken to haunting the garage, Pak had grown to like the animal.

"PÄ•e? Are you around you crazy cat? I brought crab tonight."�

There was no guarantee PÄ•e would be there or in a mood to socialize, but it never hurt to ask. Pak had also taken to speaking to the cat in her native language, it seemed natural for some reason.

Her voice was calm, belying the tension and anxiety she felt about this decision. Even with an animal Pak couldn't, wouldn't, let her subterfuge down. She refused to put emotion out there that -might- be picked up. Oh she'd tell the animal anything, but from safely behind her walls.

Mara 14 years ago
Everything she had studied said that this woman was worth getting close to. Close enough to talk, anyhow, which was what Mara really wanted. Her arrival in Nachton was multi-purpose. Of course she had come at her creator's call; that went without saying. This time, though, she had to set the wheels of several other plans in motion. For too long she'd been avoiding a confrontation that she now felt was inevitable, that of her creator, and her father. The two terms were sometimes synonymous but not in her case. Mara had feelings for both men, though, and the idea of them at each other's throats was intolerable to her.

Pakpao would give her the best chance of getting through to her father. He trusted her. She knew her presence in his life would be upsetting. There would be time for that later, time to do it right. Now she was trying preventative damage control.

She knew Amir had been seeing Pakpao on and off. They were, at the very least, friends. Or Pakpao might have thought they were. Mara didn't think Amir felt the same way, but he too realized the value in getting to know Pakpao.

Up till now, Mara had played nice kitty. It was, perhaps, time to step up the game a little. At Pak's voice she gave a cheerful "miaow" and hopped onto the roof of Pak's car. Twitching her whiskers and sniffing the air in the woman's direction, Mara acted every inch the hungry feline. She flagged the air with her tail and let loose a rattling purr, something that had felt odd to her at first. Now she let it happen with the ease of long years of practice as she played up to the vampire in front of her.
Pakpao 14 years ago
Well at least one person was glad to see her. Of course, PÄ•e might just have been glad to see the meal that she typically brought. Pak didn't really mind one way or another. She suspected though that some one else, at least one some one else, was keeping the cat fed she was just didn't have the look of a stray, never had.

Pak had tried to take PÄ•e upstairs to her rooms before, but the cat always seemed to sense when that was her plan and protested. So, this was the extent of their relationship.

"You know it drives me crazy when you jump on the car. What's wrong with the nice Mustang right next to us?"Â?

Despite her protests, Pak had come to learn the cat was oddly careful. Some how the animal had never left so much as a paw print on the T-Bird, so she'd stopped trying to chase her off the car.

Scratching her four-legged friend behind the ear Pak set the can of crab on the roof.

"Don't make a mess."Â?

Not that Pak thought she would, but it was hard to stop herself from saying anything.

"Do you have time for a story or have you got plans tonight?"Â?
Mara 14 years ago
Mara continued to purr at Pakpao and took a few delicate bites of the canned crab to express her thanks. It was rare that anyone really went out of their way to be friendly to a stray cat. She didn't want Pak to think she didn't appreciate it, on behalf of the real strays.

Giving her whiskers a careful wash to avoid smelling like crab meat after she regained her human form later, Mara delicately padded down the car's rear window to sit companionably beside Pak.

"Rrrr?" it was a cat's questioning meow, a trill deep in the back of her throat. Sure, she was up for a story. Mara was ridiculously easy to tempt when information was up for grabs, and the more she knew about Pak, the better her chances of success in this venture would be.
Pakpao 14 years ago
This was her only friend with out a date book or a schedule to adhere too. Not that Pak didn't have her own schedule and places to go and things to do... maybe more to the point PÄ•e was the only creature she could talk to that wouldn't talk back. Oh sure she could talk to her fish but that was just odd. Some how talking to this stray made more sense.

Taking the odd little sound as an affirmative Pak launched into what was bothering her.

"I guess it isn't much of a story really. I need to go out west for a few days and I'm not sure I want to go. Last time there were... complications."Â?

Even with an animal Pak was reluctant to offer too much information. Old habits died hard after all.

"On the other hand if I stay here it will raise questions. I guess I could rope someone into going with me but that feels like the cowards way out. I mean I've never taken any one on a business trip before and if I do now I'll look like a wuss."Â?

Pak sighed and slouched back into her Thinker posture, undoubtedly her suit was going to be wrinkled to hell and gone. But that is why the gods made dry cleaners.

"Isn't there some song about should I stay or should I go? The Ramon's or the Clash or something. Of course in their case it was more of a romantic situation than a business decision."Â?

She was rambling and she knew it. Some times though that random stream of consciousness helped Pak work things out though. She just tried not to expose too many people to it.
Mara 14 years ago
Mara listened to Pak, reading between the lines. She hesitated before saying the word "complications," which meant, in her mind, it was more than simply "the tickets were booked improperly." It had a personal connotation to it. She tilted her head, pale eyes watching Pak's face, but unable to read any sign of her true emotions. She was very good.

The one thing about being shapeshifted was, Mara wasn't in much of a position to offer much advice. She liked Pakpao. She had sought her out for a reason, because of the people Pak associated with and the people she seemed close to. Mara knew she really shouldn't be here, shouldn't be talking to Pak at all in any form, but the need, in her opinion, was dire.

Giving Pak her most imploring look, Mara lightly placed a paw on the other vampire's leg. She gave a soft mew and hitched a little closer, as if putting her trust in Pakpao, like a friend would do. How else to imply that Pak should bring a friend with her if she was uncertain?

By Mara's way of thinking, Pakpao's happiness was important to someone Mara also cared about, and therefore it behooved her to make Pak feel secure. Image was nowhere near as important as security. Mara thought so, anyhow. How could she argue otherwise when she herself was known to hide beneath her own creator's wing when there were clouds in the sky?
Pakpao 14 years ago
"Don't give me that look."Â?

Not that there really was a 'look' from PÄ•e, Pak knew quite well she was reading more into the cat's expression than was there.

There was some little comfort to be had in the paw on her leg though. Pak responded by softly rubbing the cat's cheek.

"I know I should just take some one with me. I know that. But it's not just me I have to worry about. If I take back up the big boys will think I've lost my edge. I lose half my effectiveness if they start thinking I'm 'just a girl'. My T-Rex image isn't just for me, its for Meridian too."Â?

There was some truth to that. Pak wasn't so vain as to think that taking her second in command (or even third in command) would cause Meridian to cease to exist or anything. Still, there was some power in that image and it was part of who she was and how she managed things.
Mara 14 years ago
Mara listened to Pak and finally yawned at her last words. What was image compared to safety and security? Image was changeable. Even if one cultivated a certain image, it could be morphed, changed, redesigned, into whatever it was needed to be. Security was far more important. Mara hardly considered herself codependent, but she did rely on her few very close friends for what she needed in that department, and that was what they were for. Pak need not bring along anyone from her team of co-workers. She could, and should, cimply bring along a friend.

There was no way to communicate that in cat-talk though, so Mara contented herself with her yawn to show Pak she disapproved of image in general. To cement the point she flopped onto her back and folded herself over in an ungainly position, applying her rough tongue to the back of one hind leg. She looked like an idiot, but clearly she trusted Pak or else she wouldn't display such feline "unstressed" behaviors.

In the meantime she filed away everything Pak was telling her. Sure, she liked the woman and was hoping Pak could help her with something very important, but at the same time Mara collected information as readily as fish swam. Who knew when she might need some tidbit, some little snippet she might hear in passing with Pak?
Pakpao 14 years ago
"Yeah, yeah, yeah some how I thought you'd say something like that."Â?

Pak sighed and shook her head at the cat. Somehow this conversation didn't seem one sided, it was almost as if PÄ•e knew what she was saying.

"I think I might just bite my lip and go solo though. Honestly I don't know that I'm that much better off here."Â?

That was true. She didn't know if he was still stalking her or if seeing him around town was just a coincidence. For all she knew he could track her every move and pin her down at any time. Of course, she didn't even know what he wanted with her.

"I appreciate the advice though. I suppose I should get back to work now, unless you need anything. Of course, you seem to take care of yourself well."Â?
Mara 14 years ago
Mara fixed Pak with her unusual pale-eyed stare, listening to her words. It wasn't the first time the Siamese vampire had unburdened herself to the friendly stray, but Mara knew tonight would likely be the last. She needed Pakpao's help, for this woman was in a position to bargain, or at least, to influence, the two people Mara did not want to meet each other.

She gave one last meow, definitely not looking forward to what she must do, but to secure Pak's help she had to come clean. What she was doing was very dangerous. There was no way she should be entering Evenhet territory, and if Pak so much as gave the word, Mara's days would be numbered.

Even so, she loved the two men in question more than anything, and if this would ensure their continued happiness she would do what she had to do. Pak must listen to her. She must.

Mara stood and trotted lightly toward the entrance to Liefde. pak had said she was going back to work, but perhaps if Mara expressed interest in a visit, Pak would detour home. Only Pak could tell the AI to allow her new "pet" into the building. Only Pak could ensure Mara's safety, at least for as long as it took to get to her apartment. If Mara failed to convince Pak of her good intentions from that point on, she didn't doubt that the Evenhets' wrath would fall heavily upon her. While Amir might consider them inferior or misguided, he had never taught Mara that they were weak. It was a lesson she remembered well.

Pausing at the threshold, she mewed once more at Pak, plaintively.
Pakpao 14 years ago
Picking up her laptop case, and moving the remaining crab, setting it on the ground in front of a Chevy she considered an eyesore, Pak started for the door. She would go by herself, she'd be fine. Well she thought she'd be fine. She'd just have to be more careful that usual, that was all.

Slightly lost in thought she didn't at first notice PÄ•e tagging along. Puzzled by the meow she looked down at the cat and raised an eyebrow. This was unusual behavior, thus far her four-legged friend had actively resisted coming inside.

"So you want to come up today?"Â?

Pak didn't see a problem with it. OK she was shy some basic cat needs, litter box, food, toys and what ever else it was cats needed. However, they could probably make it work. Hell a ten-minute detour through the mall could take care of every thing.

"Well... OK, come on. We'll have to stop for something, my place isn't exactly cat ready. But it's a good excuse to work from home the rest of the night. You, however, have to promise not to eat my fish."Â?

She fixed the feline with a steady blue-eyed gaze. Figuring the return stare was as close to a cat like affirmative as she was going to get. Not being terribly used to pets but figuring that at this point PÄ•e would follow her she opened the door and to the elevator.

It only took a word or two with MARI to get every one moving up the thirty-one floors to home.

"I don't feel like going out, or letting you run loose just yet. I'm betting one of the stores downstairs will deliver."Â?
Mara 14 years ago
Mara accompanied Pak into the tower, silently in awe of the complicated AI they had running here. Anantya had their strongholds, sure, but what the Evenhet had created here was beyond resourceful. And a little intimidating. It didn't stop her from going in though; after all, she wasn't here to tamper. Merely to chat. She would have very little opportunity to do that, too. If she wanted to come and go at all she'd have to do so as a cat, and she imagined she'd be limited to Pakpao's apartment. She hoped there was a way out of a window somehow; otherwise she was screwed if she couldn't get her point across.

She didn't really feel guilty about Pak's purchasing supplies for a cat... she supposed she should. If all went well, perhaps she could tender an apology to Pak by actually supplying her with the real thing. Then she wouldn't feel that her money had been wasted.

That, however, was putting the cart before the horse. First she actually had to succeed.
Pakpao 14 years ago
"MARI, we really do have to chat about the elevator music. Remind me next week OK?"Â?

She hated the stuff, it was... how had that gotten past who ever it was that checked this sort of stuff? Pak muttered a bit more about elevator music and made a call to the pet store in the mall and asked for 'whatever it is that a cat needs'. Shrugging she looked back at PÄ•e.

"Don't ask me. I've never had a cat and have -no- idea what you need."Â?

She could probably ask Kem, but didn't feel like dragging him into a whole picking up a stray and bringing it home thing. You never knew, after all, if this was going to work out or not. The little stray could hate her or scratch up the furniture or something.

The elevator let them off on the 31st floor, just to be on the safe side Pak picked up the cat and carried her the rest of the way to her rooms unlocked the door and let them in.

"Think of these like the car."� She said letting PÄ•e down. "Don't scratch anything. If you think it is an antique it is, I'm fond of the hard wood and chewing cords around her is an issue."�

Taking off her shoes, she went to the bedroom to put them away leaving the cat to her own devices.
Mara 14 years ago
Suffering the indignity of being carried was humiliating, but Mara put up with it long enough to be deposited in Pak's apartment on what had to be the millionth floor of the highrise. Just her luck. Escape would be all the more difficult from that height.

Mara's idea of a quick change was stalled when Pak immediately called a pet store and arranged for a delivery of several cat-related items. She would have to wait now. She couldn't risk being interrupted in the middle of trying to convince Pak that she was on the "good" side... or at least, that she meant well enough.

She tried not to let her curiosity get the better of her, but for Mara that was a near impossible task. Manners dictated she not snoop, but when would she ever have this chance again? She made a cursory inspection of the apartment like any cat might do, noting the layout, the items within, the scents and feelings and dimensions of everything. She even nosed the heavy curtain aside from the window and peered out, feeling some relief that there was, at least, a fire escape. Apparently fire hazard code applied to everyone in Nachton, undead or not.
Pakpao 14 years ago
She -might- have a reputation in one or two stores, some times in her more... energetic phases Pak could be rather memorable. More than likely though, it was simply a slow night, because what she'd ordered arrived just as she emerged from the bedroom now more comfortably dressed in khakis and a light cashmere sweater.

Just her luck though, it was the kid she'd nailed with the squirt gun a while back. Apparently, he'd gotten a new job. Seeing who he was delivering to practically fell over himself to leave. Pak just rolled her eyes at his hasty retreat and shut and locked the door.

"Some people just don't know a good joke even when they are hit over the head with it."Â?

With little ceremony, she sat down in the middle of the living room floor to try to work out what was in the box. Rummaging about and trying to figure out what some things were and where to put others, she kept up a halfhearted chatter with the cat. It was nice not to just be talking to herself.

"Seriously it isn't like I did any permanent damage, it was just a little water. The way he acted you'd think he was scared for life, probably put in for hazard pay or something."Â?
Mara 14 years ago
The appearance of the single male who was there to deliver Pakpao's order had Mara scurrying out of the hallway and into the living room, where she watched the delivery with narrowed eyes and flattened ears. It was only a young man, scarcely more than a boy, but she saw no reason to be friendly.

Once he had gone, beating a hasty retreat that Mara approved of, she tiptoed back out into the open to inspect the items Pak had bought. The woman had been thorough. Any real cat would be happy to see them, she imagined. There were plenty of toys, an array of grooming supplies, the obligatory litter box, a scratching post and a kitty condo to climb upon.

She was tempted to hang out for a little while.

She sighed to herself though. Much as she wouldn't mind being a cat for a bit, it would become painfully obvious in a very short time that she was not and could not become a house pet. The need for blood would be a dead giveaway, no pun intended, even if the lack of interest in cat food and water didn't tip someone off.

No, Mara thought dryly to herself, she'd have to face the music sooner or later. She liked Pak though, and knew she meant well. It wouldn't be too hard to beg her to let her out onto the fire escape and then just vanish. She didn't really want to scare Pak or hurt her.

But, she decided, it was her only option right now. She needed a contact in Evenhet. She needed someone who knew who she was and who could help her avoid the confrontation she needed to avoid.
Pakpao 14 years ago
Pak thought she had everything where she wanted, litter box in the bathroom, condo and scratching post discreetly placed in the living room. She was pleased they didn't ruin the décor or the over all look of the room (OK so she was a bit fussy). With the food and water bowls in her under used kitchen she nodded with some satisfaction.

"Right, now from what I've heard I'm supposed to just leave you be and let you get used to your environment with no pressure. Now if this doesn't work out for you, tell me and I'll let you out. Its probably a big change for you, from running around outside to being stuck at my place."Â?

OK so she was humanizing the cat but Pak didn't want her to feel trapped or confined. She also had a feeling PÄ•e would let her know if she was uncomfortable. So far, she'd managed to make herself rather clear about a lot of things.

Everything was done so Pak turned to her computer switched it on and set about into logging in and getting back to work.

"My home is yours the, for as long as you want. But I do have to get some stuff done you let me know if you need anything."Â?

Feeling that she had her little friend settled she felt no guilt doing her job and only half paying attention to the cat, just looking up from time to time to see where she was. It was nice to have an other body about, even if they weren't exactly chatty it felt nice not to be alone.
Mara 14 years ago
Well, she supposed Pak was soon to realize the irony of her words. Mara watched the vampire for a few moments, waiting until she turned to her computer. Then she sighed to herself. She really had to do this now. Letting it go further would be cruel.

As quietly as possible she willed her cat shape to give way to human flesh and bone, as always giving a little cry of sadness to feel her body's shape change. She would have happily remained a cat if it would benefit everyone around her more, but it simply wasn't who she was.

She finally crouched in Pak's apartment, naked but nowhere near vulnerable, staying low to the ground so as not to seem a threat.

"All I need is to speak to you for one moment."

She prepared herself to spring and subdue Pak if it became necessary. She had already noted the quickest route of escape, the closed window. If need be she could break through it and take the fire escape down to the street level, possibly before Pak had a security team up there.

"Please listen to me," she hurried on. "I'm not here to hurt you, or anyone. But I have some information about a friend of yours and I need your help. He could be in danger."

Still crouched down, looking up at Pak with anxious, pale eyes, Mara waited.
Pakpao 14 years ago
What were they thinking? Pak was frowning very intently at her monitor trying to work out a decision one of her teams had made. As near as she could tell they'd been on something. Because she was so focused, to the point that she'd forgotten she wasn't in her office and because she was used to hearing voices she only answered distractedly.

"Now isn't a good time. Give me an hour or so, this is a mess."Â?

Even as she said it, she wondered when her daughter had learned to speak English. All three of her children only spoke to her in Siamese. Absently she felt around for her cigarette case and lighter. Apparently, she'd left them in her laptop case. Slightly irritated she stood to go get them. That was the one advantage of working from home, no one could tell her not to smoke.

As she went in search of her laptop case, which she thought was in the bedroom, she actually heard what had been said. Not only did she hear she saw. Pak's eyes widened in fear, terror even. The only thing that kept her from completely freaking out was A) it was a woman and not her maker and B) this couldn't possibly be happening.

Even if it wasn't happening, she mentally snatched a frying pan from the kitchen and held it rather like a baseball bat. 'Just don't let her get close.' Pak kept telling herself. And then once she knew it was real -then- she could scream for security. But since this wasn't real she -couldn't- call them. Pak didn't need security, MARI and Kem and Aishe all thinking she was still jumping at shadows, she had her pride after all.

"As near as I can tell -I'm- in danger. Or I would be if this were real. But it can't be real because naked women don't just turn up in my home. I'm just going to imagine you up some cloths and then we can have a perfectly logical conversation about why you are -leaving-."Â?
Mara 14 years ago
Mara blinked a few times at Pak's response, at a loss for words. Realizing the woman was clearly distracted, she tilted her head in curiosity and waited a moment for the lightbulb to come on. Pak walked into the bedroom and Mara sighed, sitting on the floor and curling her knees up beneath her in some semblance of modesty. She watched with bemusement as a frying pan floated past her into the room Pak was in, and observed with raised eyebrows as the object of her pursuit re-emerged back into the living room.

Pak's words caused Mara's lips to twitch up a little. If the situation weren't so serious to her, she'd have found it hilarious. As it was, though, Pak had yet to call security. Mara had to try to keep her from doing so.

"Believe me, I'll be leaving soon. But I need you to hear me out first. Please."

Mara didn't rise. She didn't make any attempt to move. Pak clearly felt threatened, and she couldn't blame her.

"This concerns you. And the one you call Kem. It concerns the man you went to the pool hall with last weekend. And your creator."

She had fixed her eyes upon Pak. "I have information you will want, and I can help you keep safe the people you love."

Please trust me, her expression read. It was in every nuance of her body language, in every way Mara knew how to express hope and sincerity.

"And maybe once I tell you... I'll go find a shirt."
Pakpao 14 years ago
Not real, not real, not real. Pak just kept chanting to herself. She'd always feared going totally mad and apparently, those fears had been well founded.

Not taking her eyes off the woman she grabbed a freebie tee shirt she'd gotten the other day, it was both for THEM and too big so she had no plans on keeping it, and used her telekinesis to toss it to her 'visitor. This was a damned accurate and specific hallucination wasn't it?

Keeping the frying pan between her and this woman Pak moved cautiously into the living room. There was more room to maneuver in there and she could get at the door to escape faster.

Hearing Kem's name and her maker mentioned in the same sentence did -not- help her mood at all. Fear and anger competed for dominance, Pak wasn't sure which was winning.

"If I ever find that god damned son of a bitch I'll kill him."Â? Well have him killed, but she didn't want who ever this was to think she was less than incredibly intimidating and dangerous. "And if any one so much as wishes Kem a hang nail..."Â?

Actually Pak didn't know what she'd do if something happened to Kem. All she knew for certain is she was more worried about his safety than her own. About that time, she realized she'd been speaking Siamese. Well since this was a dream, this figment could just figure out what she'd said.

Calming down a bit, but not giving up her 'weapon' she gestured at a chair.

"Right you get five minutes to tell me what the hell is going on here after that I either wake up or call security. Possibly both."Â?