23 minutes till dawn

The night was winding down and it was nearly dawn. Delilah sat on the center of her bed and looked at the bright red letters of her alarm clock. It was twenty three minutes until dawn to be precise, and Pauly hadn't come looking for her. He hadn't even noticed she wasn't where she was supossed to be.

Flopping onto her back, she stared at the ceiling and sighed. Her mother had been awake when she arrived and the reunion was bittersweet. She was just another person who hardly noticed Delilah's absence. Fighting back the tears that threatened to breeze down her face, Delilah pulled the white comforter over and rolled to her side. It wasn't long before she was asleep with only a hint of a damp pillow.

--------

The sun was warm against her skin as she stretched out on the chaise lounge that was strategically placed ten feet from the radiant turquoise waves of the ocean. Her tiny midnight blue triangle bikini fit in all the right places and she breathed deeped and let the ocean air soothe her. This was luxury. A waiter was approaching her chair from behind with a new Pina Colada in a neat little hollowed out coconut complete with a pink umbrella.

"For you madame." He said in an accent that didn't seem to fit with the atmosphere.

Looking up, Delilah had to shield her eyes from the glare of the sun on white sand to get a glimpse of the man whose voice seemed out of place. His skin was golden brown against the white linen pants and shirt that was left unbuttoned. It didn't seem very professional of him to be so casually exposed. As her eyes traveled upward she was rewarded with a smile so white and perfect that it was hotter than the sun.

"Delilah Bennett, mind if I have a seat?" His thick voice all but purred at her.

Without waiting for a response the man sat next to her on the sand and looked out at the gently rolling waves. It was then that she recognized his face, now that the sun was no longer blinding her.

"Hey!" She exclaimed suddenly alarmed.

A light breeze blew against her skin like a soft towel hugging around her body and she relaxed. The man was looking at her now with brown eyes so soft you wanted to cuddle them.

Luka 14 years ago
It wasn't hard to find Delilah's subconscious with the scent of her so fresh in his mind. Even all of the women that he and Panos had come into contact with that evening had done nothing to drown out the lingering smell of her anger and pride. They had gotten back to the Domicile just as dawns long tendrils had begun to slip out into the sky and when Panos entered an empty living space he had freaked.

Now he sat on a tropical beach next to Panos's human and hoped she was somewhere safe, for his friends own sanity.

"There's no need to be alarmed. I'm just here enjoying myself, I fancy you are as well?"

Delilah looked puzzled for a moment before relaxing back into her lounge.

"Ya. Where the hell are we? It's sooo beautiful here. I don't think my parents ever took me vacationing here before."

He smiled at her. Luka could see how Panos was attracted to her. She was built like a small doll, and was just as pale as one too.

"You do know he is severely panicked at your disappearance."

He watched as she rolled her eyes and scruntched up her delicate face.
Delilah 14 years ago
"Ya right. I waited all night and never heard a word from him. If he had been than panic stricken he'd of called or come looking for me."

Delilah knew immediately who he was talking about and her heart flutter a bit in hopes that this man was right. The feeling of triumph that she had made Pauly panic died quickly and turned into a twinge of guilt.

Looking at the man and suddenly realized she had no idea who he was. Was he here to replace her?

"Hey, who are you and why are you here? If you think you're going to be doing all his daytime biddings your wrong. That's my job."

The man laughed and leaned back to stretch out on a lime green towel that Delilah hadn't noticed was there before. His long body was perfectly sculpted and her eyes followed the contour lines down his abs as they slipped beneath the thin linen pants. A blush arose on her face and when her eyes darted back to his face she was relieved to find he hadn't seen her. The smug smile on his face made her turn back to the ocean with doubt.
Luka 14 years ago
Delilah seemed so sure of her self when she said Panos hadn't cared where she was, but there was something else written in her eyes.

"My name is Luka and I'm merely an old friend of your...Pauly. I don't often get to enjoy the day light so by all means I've not come to replace you. I kept him out a little too late so, it is my responsibility to assist him in your location. That's all."

The sun may have been a creation of his own, but he leeched the feeling of it off of Delilah. His memories weren't that far removed, but still he found it hard to remember that feeling of warmth and comfort. At one point in his life, the sun was the only thing to keep them warm and they would stand for hours, only moving as the sun did, to keep from freezing. Now he stretched and let the artificial rays envelope him.

Dreams were the only place he could enjoy all the things he had lost.

"So, where did you go, our little tricky monkey." he asked as he kept his eyes closed. He did have a job to do here but he was willing to take his time. Besides Panos was asleep by now anyways.
Delilah 14 years ago
Well that explained why Pauly hadn't come looking for her right away, but still he obviously wasn't as concerned for her as she had thought. He had spent the night partying it up with this Luka person. Which lead her to the next next question of who Luka was. His comment about not spending much time in the sun wasn't lost on her and it happened that Delilah had begun to think just about everyone was a vampire nowadays.

"Are you like him then? A vampire?"

She watched his reaction, expecting anger, but all she got in return was a sly smile that spread across his face like a hot knife in butter. He said nothing else yet she knew she was right. Resting back into her lounge Delilah looked back out over the crystaline waters unsure if she should be afraid of Luka or not. He really didn't seem all that dangerous and he hadn't killed her earlier that evening when she originally attacked him. As a matter of fact, right now, it actually felt comfortable to be around him.

"I went home. My real home, and when I got there I realized my mom barely knew I had been gone for long and I got a little terrified being all alone in my room." She paused and took a deep breath. "For the record, you don't have to call him Pauly, I know his real name, I just first met him as one thing and it's kinda stuck you know?"

It never really occured to her, as it should, that she had only went home and now she was in some exotic location with a man she had just met. Why wasn't she more concerned with where she was or how she got there?

The thoughts were fleeting and Delilah took a sip of her pina colada. It was frothy and chilled to perfection. Each flavor of coconut and pineapple was crystal clear in taste and it was delightful. She had never had a drink this good before, she'd have to find out what ingrediants these people were using.

"So mystery man. Are you going to tell me anything about you? Like how you can just show up and suddenly I am dismissed like a fly on a hot sunny day?"
Luka 14 years ago
Luka could feel her concerns begin to swirl around and he knew all too well that they could turn into panic and force the dream to end. Right now he didn't want that to happen and mostly for selfish reasons. He hadn't walked in any dreams in a long time. In fact the last time he had it had been a nightmare, literally. Those kind of experience were only fun on occassion.

Now though, he was enjoying both Delilah's company and her memories. Besides not being hard to look at she also had a fantastic vivid imagenation that he was able to manipulate to his benefit. He'd never leave this sun if he could. It wouldn't be right though, keeping Delilah asleep for too long, but it wasn't hurting anyone right now.

Pushing against her doubts, Luka swarmed her with the flavors of her drink to distract her from becomming upset. She was somewhere safe in the real world and he had done his job in locating her. Panos would be happy to know she was allright.

"Well, Panos and I go back a ways. We lived together for quite a few years in Romania. I haven't seen him since he moved here. As for your dismissal, I wouldn't take it to heart. I'm relatively new compared to Panos and he was only protecting you incase,... incase I was unable to contain myself."

Self control was one thing Luka did not have a problem with, but he forgave the slight lack of trust in his friend if only because they hadn't seen each other in a long time.

"What else do you want to know?"
Delilah 14 years ago
Oh god, they had lived together for years in Romania? Maybe that was why Panos never showed her any real attention! That didn't make much sense though, he had come to the strip club to watch the women dance not the men. Maybe he was Bi?

"So you guys are like, lovers or something?" She asked nonchalantly.

It would figure that she'd fall for the gay guy. The hot ones always were taken by the other gender.

"I guess that explains you accent then too. So how long have you guys been together?"

Delilah turned her head over the side of the lounge to look down at Luka. She hadn't expected to see his eyes nearly buldging out of his head.
Luka 14 years ago
The distraction of the enviroment wasn't enough to keep him from nearly choking as Delilah quickly assumed that he and Panos were romantically linked. He sputtered before he could find any words.

"Eh?! You are mistaken sunshine. Panos and I are brothers not lovers. In my beginning, we ran into each other during his travels. We became close sure, but not that close you mad woman. Americans!" He snorted.

Was hospitality and family so lost on her that living with someone automatically meant lovers. Good lord.

"I lived with my sister and her mate as well. Does that make me incestuous?"

He settled back down and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"You know, when we first 'met', you and I, I assumed you were dinner to be finished off before dawn. Then I saw the way he reacted when he discovered you were not at his residence. I thought to myself, now why would Panos be so concerned over a meal? I could be quick to assume that you are his lover but then I'd be making the same mistake as you had. So what's the deal?"
Delilah 14 years ago
Whoops.

Delilah blushed and looked away. She was offending the guy allready but hey you never knew these days. When you lived hundreds of years whose to say you wouldn't experiment sexually? She hadn't been judging.

"Oh, well I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions, I just thought that maybe you know. I never see him with any girls or anything really. Well there was this one, she was a righteous bitch and she did show up with another guy so I don't really know."

She sighed and shook her head.

"I appologize really. Not that it wasn't ok if you two were lovers, don't get me wrong."

Delilah was experiencing severe foot in mouth and she was rambling. As if that helped.

"Are you asking if I'm Panos's lover?" She nearly laughed out loud.

"No. To be honest I don't know what I am to him. He's not exactly an open book. I mean he was some hot guy that would come into the stripclub often and always requested me. He tipped really good to. Then some psycho chick started popping up and telling me to stay away from him and he didn't like that, and then he thought I was the looney one and dragged me through glass and broke my arm. THEN he realized I wasn't setting him up on some crazy trap and it was really this other broad who, get this, turns into a flipping wolf for crying out loud, and I guess he just felt bad that he had hurt me? Ever since then he's kept me around. He did live at my house for a little bit until wolf girl came in and nearly killed me and did away with his aunt.That's how I came to be living with him in vampire motel."
Luka 14 years ago
Of all things good and evil this girl could talk.

He held up his hand to excuse her from appologizing anymore about the man on man loving but his next question sent her on an even longer tangent. It was like word vomit was just spewing from her mouth. Maybe he had made her feel a little too comfortable.

Some of the things Delilah had said, he knew. Panos had told him much of it that evening. It was a great shame that Chryseis had been taken down and a great surprize. Still it sounded like Panos carried a great amount of guilt around with him. First with incorectly assuming Delilah was out to get him and then with his inability to save Chryseis. It didn't help that Delilah had the face of the past.

"You do know who you look like don't you?"

He had never seen Panos's Holly but he had described her in such great detail on many of their drunken nights, that he felt he had a pretty acurate idea of what she looked like should she be reincarnated. Looking at Delilah, it almost looked like she was.
Delilah 14 years ago
This again. Why was everyone so concerned with who she looked like. Who cares!

"Yes, I'm aware that I look like some woman named Holly from a long time ago. Was she like some kind of vampire goddess or something? Damn! Panos used to act so weird around me for the longest time. He's even called me Holly a few times. Usually it's when he's freaking the fuck out and he doesn't listen to a word I say then anyways."

It was so annoying and a little bit frightening. Sometimes she wondered if he kept her around just for the sake of being a living photograph.

"Did you ever meet her?"
Luka 14 years ago
It was interesting that Panos hadn't changed as much as he thought he had. He was still the reserved individual Luka had to get drunk to spill any information out him. When he did though, Panos had ALOT to talk about.

"No, Holly wasn't a vampire goddess of some sorts. Actually the opposite. She was human and Panos loved her like he had never loved before. I suposse I shouldn't be telling you all this ifhe hasn't but you should know, since it's her face you carry around. He wanted to make her a vampire but before he was able to, the townes people freaked out and captured Holly. It was during that whole witchcraft phase I think. They burned her at the stake for being a vampire even though she wasn't. She kept odd hours to be with Panos and when they burned her, it was a pretty horific experience for him. She called to him but he wouldn't come out of hiding to stop it. I don't think he's ever forgiven himself for it."

He left alot of the gory details out of it, and he wasn't even sure if he had them all straight. It wasn't really his story to tell but he doubted Delilah would ever get it out of Panos.

"So I'm sure he punishes himself by watching over you. Doesn't want to make the same mistake twice and all that. Specially if you've already been hurt and threatened by someone because of him."

He had reclosed his eyes and was back to relaxing in the sun. If anything he was being a little lax in his dream walking and the wave of dispair and panic hit him harder than he anticipated.
Delilah 14 years ago
Delilah's face fell as she listened to Luka describe Panos's past. It wasn't the horrible way the girl died or that she was the love of his life, it was the simple fact that she was basically just a way for him to redeem himself.

That was total bullshit.

She was nothing to him, nothing but a way for him to punish himself. The only reason he hadn't let her die was because he had let his old girlfriend die. He didn't give a rats ass about Delilah, all he saw was Holly burning alive.

Jumping to her feet Delilah coudln't surpress the urge to flee. She had to get out of here and get away from Luka. Panos wasn't here to be angry with so Luka would have to do. If he hadn't told her that wretched story she wouldn't be so upset right now anyways, so truthfully it was his fault in the first place. There was a reason Panos never mentioned this to her!

She took off running down the beach, ignoring Luka's shouts. God she was so stupid to think for even a moment Panos had even the slightest feelings for her. What a joke, he was using her to feed his own self pity and it disgusted her.

Around the bend Delilah saw a stretch of rocks that went out into the waters. They were large enough to walk on and flat enough in areas to even sit. Nearly out of breath she realized she didn't know what else to do so she hopped onto the rocks and went as far out as she could before the gaps between were too long to jump. Sitting down she put her head in her hands and just listened to the sound of her own breathing.
Luka 14 years ago
Shit. This was heading south faster than he had anticipated. It was his own fault, he should of explained the way Panos thought in a more delicate way and now he suspected as well as felt her pain. It virbrated the air around him and threatened to take what had been a pleasant experience and turn it sour. He shouldn't of been so selfish.

Calling after her didn't work and he let her run some of her anger off before he popped over to where she had gone. Luka stood on the shore and watched her nearly kill herself on the rocks before she could go no further. It was time he let go and let her get some real sleep. Delilah had been disturbed for too long and good things never came of that. He had been selfish and greedy for her light and instead let her suffer.

Ashamed, he walked through the now cloudy waters to stand next to her. Staring straight out into the ocean he waited for her breathing to slow and the let the sky above them begin to clear on it's own without pushing.

"What I said was not gentle nor subtle. Forgive me. I'm sure there are more reasons for my friend to be so protective of you. I've only just returned into his life and already I'm over stepping my boundaries. I will leave you to yourself, but I wanted to say I'm sorry."
Delilah 14 years ago
Luka was standing beside her in what was impossibly deep water. His dark eyes were troubled and he kept his gaze straight ahead. Tilting to lay her head on her raised knees, Delilah said nothing and let him do the talking. He seemed to know why she was upset, which was a change from the norm.

The appology was sincere and she didn't want him to leave just yet. She was to used to being alone even when people were around her. At least with Luka, he gave answers whether or not they were the ones she wanted to hear. Another refreshing attribute.

"Luka don't go yet. You aren't telling me anything I shouldn't already know. Your right too. He's spent the last weeks sleeping upright in a chair as opossed to lying in the bed with me. I even offered to switch with him, or to sleep ontop of the covers seperate from him. Still he refuses to come near me. At least when I was a nobody stripper I was allowed to touch him. Nowadays he just about skitters across the room if I get to close."

She thought about that and it wasn't long before the thought occured to her just why that was.

'In the beginning he could pretend I was someone else easier.'

The thought was even more depressing.

Oh well. What good was it going to do to dwell on it? Not much but there was no way she was going back to live with Panos now. That her mind was made up on.

"Thank you for telling me the story though. I was tired of the whole 'You look like someone' thing. Maybe you can tell me more about him? About yourself? More about this family you guys created over in Romania and all the great adventures the two of you had."

Anything to keep her mind off reality.
Luka 14 years ago
Delilah's reaction was the opposite of what he expected. He had never thought she would ask him to -stay-.

lUka smiled at her and noted just how young and innocent she liked at that moment. How he wished he could capture that for eternity. Panos was a fool for acting like he was a rapid dog around her. She seemed sensible enough if you gave her the information she wanted to hear. The way Panos had spoken of her last night made him think she was nothing more than an airheaded little girl who was incapable of understand dangerous situations. Luka had mroe respect for her earlier attack in the alley. There was a good bet this girl was more perceptive than Panos gave her credit for.

"I can tell you many stories but it has been a long night for me, and you. I really shouldn't stay any longer."

He reached out and cupped her cheek with his hand and was amazed at how smooth her skin was. It felt like pure silk and he wasn't sure if it was something he was creating or if it was how she actually felt. It was definately time to leave if he was begining to get confused in his own work.

"Don't be sad anymore tonight ok? That really wasn't what I wanted to do. You know he will come for you as soon as it's dark enough for him to travel. Look at it this way, at least I broke your habit of calling him Pauly if nothing else."
Delilah 14 years ago
Luka's hand slide over her cheek and she all but melted. He was firm yet soft in his touch and she resisted the urge to nuzzle her face against his strong hand. Her own hand wanted to spring to her face to twine with his fingers and if he hadn't just said he had to go, Delilah may have just done such a thing.

Disapointment was clear on her face and she made no effort to mask her frown. Her chest tightened up as she didn't want to be alone right now but it was absurd to make him stay because of her own issues.

"I'd like to see you again and hear those stories if that's allright and I promise not to be sad since you gave me such a present. Or rather you gave HIM such a present."

She really hadn't noticed that her reference of Panos had changed from the nickname to his real name. It was a pleasant surprize and fitting. The Pauly she had met was not the man she knew now. Pauly had been friendly and wanted her attention, Panos did not. With Panos, Delilah felt like nothing more than a burden.

She missed Pauly.
Luka 14 years ago
Luka pulled away from Delilah and shook his head and looked skyward. The girl was giving him grief already, he was glad her mood was changing back.

"Sassy are we? A present given is a present received who am I to judge who the real recipient is." he teased good naturedly.

"It would be my pleasure to find you again and fill you in, but only on one condition. I want stories about you in return and I don't want to hear that your too boring to talk about either. That's the only way your getting anything out of me."

Delilah was interesting enough that Luka wanted to know more. He'd visit her in her dreams again for his own selfish reasons. Delilah was an access to the sun like he had never felt before and secretly he wanted more of it. Swapping a few stories to feel the warmth wouldn't hurt a thing.

"Get some sleep sunshine. Till we see each other again." He gave her a nod and just like that, he blinked out of existance.

( ooc : Luka out)
Delilah 14 years ago
Luka was gone before she could blink her eyes and she sighed. Was she imagining all this? Somewhere in the distance a radio was playing.

Who in the world had a radio out here? WHy would anyone want to ruin such a sirene place?

The music got louder and louder before she could take it no more.

"For crying out loud!" She shouted above the noise.

Crawling off the rocks she slipped underneath the water, not anticipating there being no bottom. The water closed in over her head and she had a brief moment of panic before........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delilah bolted upright in bed and heard her alarm clock going off. It was set to play music and to slowly grow louder and louder. It was one of those new subtle ways to wake you up alarms. It was supossed to not startle you awake, instead it lurred you out of slumber.

Ya right.

Delilah hit the snooze button and flopped back down on her pillow. It had been a dream. A really really weird dream.

With a sigh she closed her eyes and willed herself back to sleep in hopes of there being a exotic beach on the other side.

( ooc : Delilah out)